Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

NEW: 9600---Traveling Daylilies

brittneysgran
17 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one or more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Working on an Easter Swap.....Details to follow

Shirley

Comments (102)

• User
    17 years ago

I'm so glad to hear that, Melissa. Brian Lee does spectacularly well for me, too.

I don't know if you're anywhere near this area, but on April 7, I'll be having dinner at Luigi's in Lakehurst at 5pm with my South Jersey in-laws and the man who hybridized and registered Brian Lee for me. Stop in for coffee if it's in your area.

This invitation is extended to anyone who lives close enough (Ellen and ?)

Dianne

• dirtpig
    17 years ago

Oh my Jo your iris are gorgeous..nothing is blooming here yet.Happy Belated Birthday =)
    Happy up and coming Birthday Marea..wishing you family,friends and CAKE...hehe

Diani I'mso sorry...don't know how I missed it...but I did.So you have a rose on the way..Sorry hun..but its a mini.Put in a pot by the door and water it on the way out..heheh..So your box of fun is on the way..No mugging the mailman..heheh

• dirtpig
    17 years ago

Darn...Dianne ....not Diani..computer hates me today..sorry
    Jean/Dirtpig

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy-I love your wisteria tree...mine is not quite that big yet...can't wait until it looks like that. Love your dwarf irises too. Thanks for sharing all your beauties.

Can't wait to see what everyone will be getting in their swap boxes....

Shirley

• User
    16 years ago

Jean--no worries, I'm sure I'll love everything you sent. I have Nancy's collection nearly ready for shipping.

Shopping and packing is getting my gardening spirit flowing. I'm dangerously close to grabbing a rake and heading outside.

Dianne/dian57

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Yahoo! I finally found a rose for MaryS! All I could find were huge ones that wouldn't fit in a box. MaryS, I will get it in the mail either this afternoon or tomorrow. I have to take Maleah to school to register for Kindergarten today, *sniff, sniff*.

~Canna

• mareas
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Maleah to kindergarten already! Wow Canna, time has flown! Congratulations, I think, on your baby girl taking that giant first step - now try not to embarrass her by crying on the school steps... *grin*

Happy Belated Birthday to my daylily sisters, and thanks for the good wishes for mine! I''m really enjoying getting to order off the senior menu! LOL

Here are some thumbnail photos of my plant move, with the results in the first two photos. Naturally I forgot all about photos until the truck was 1/2 unloaded, but these will give you the idea:

Those are 2x4's and 8 foot sheets of plywood that Herb made the shelves with. HARD work but almost all the plants came through the trip in great shape. The last photo I took yesterday to show you how much the daylilies like it here. I also included a view of the 'Orangery' daffs i was sent last year - can't wait to have a hillside full!

Shirley & Gloria, OF COURSE you are very welcome to come tour Schreiner's and Cooleys Iris with me - but I will take as many photos as I can in case you can't come this year... *grin*

HAPPY EASTER !!
    Marea

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marea----Oh please yes yes...lots and lots of pictures...
    thank you... your daylilies look great...can't wait to see how you plan all the new flower beds...

Canna-I was having trouble getting my rose in the box too.
    Hope to have mine all ready to ship out tomorrow.

Shirley

• marozeckinj
    16 years ago

Marea How wonderful that you made it AND got your pc up and going. I can't believe you moved all those plants. Did Herb think you were wack-o??? It looks like he went above and beyond on this one!

Diane - how cool you will be in NJ! You will be about an hour and 15 away and I would love to stop by for coffee if we weren't already committed to Easter dinner at my moms that night :( But thanks for the invite!

Canna - I can't believe that Maleah is going to kindergarten already, she is far to cute for the evils of school!

Well my evils ones are straggling in from baseball and softball so I guess I should go cook some dinner.

Melissa

• luvmybulbs
    16 years ago

Wow what great weather, I have gotten so much done in the past 2 weeks and now tonight it will be in the low 30's for the next week or so. I had potted some cannas 2 weeks ago and had them outside, they all have leaves. I definately have spring fever.

I need to sign up for somewhere to post my pictures, I used to pay andale but quit that.

Everything is looking good, I did loose a few daylily's again. One of the good ones from Maryotts that we bought got crown rot, I might try and get a replacement on that one since it was expensive.

Looks like everyone is doing good. I love all the pictures.

Nancy I don't have iris yet, you cant be that far from me.

And Marea all I can say is WoW- your husband is a trooper, any guy I know would shake there head if I said I needed to move all of my plants.

Well got to go.

Angie

• mary_s
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Marea, glad to see the move is almost complete. That was quite a project moving all those plants! Great pics!Have a great birthday tomorrow! Looking forward to the senior discounts someday!

Jo, Belated birthday wishes!

Canna, can hardly believe your baby girl will be going to kindergarten! I may have to grow that rose indoors for awhile!

I am really depressed....it is now 20 degrees out and still falling. The wind is blowing about 30 mph. I think winter is back. Fortunately only a few snow flurries! My poor daylilies will probably freeze off-silly things...
    some were up 3-4 inches. Hope they survive! At least the hostas had enough sense to stay hidden yet except for a few just poking through! I did have crocus trying to bloom. Hope everything will survive all this sudden change!I did not cover up anything when I heard how cold it is supposed to be (teens) Figured everything will be 'toast' either way! Sometimes I wonder why anyone would want to live here. I told my DH that once we retire we are not staying in this awful climate!!!GRRRR! I am in a BAD mood. Thanks for letting me vent!

Jean I mailed your box out today! Hope you like everything!
    Gee, I hope it does not all freeze en route! Probably is cold there too!

MaryS

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Marea:)
    {{gwi:2103490}}

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

MAREA
    {{gwi:2103491}}

And what are you talking about, "order off the senior menu!", Aren't you 21 years old today?

Loved all the pictures.I had no idea you had that many plants waiting to be shipped. I think hubby deserves a little 'massage' for all that hard work!

Canna, Maleah in school ... she will love it, but we all know it is a 'sniff' for the [hugs] Mom.

Anita, that sure is a pretty iris!

MaryS, I hope your daylilies don't "freeze their silly things off." LOL (not an exact quote, but almost.)

Going to be cold in Michigan too. :o(

Angie, I'm anxious for those lily bulbs I bought from you last year to bloom again.
    They were so beautiful and smelled heavenly.
    I know what you mean about spring fever ... I planted my Dracunculus bulb from Meijers as soon as I bought it, and it has bloomed already. LOL
    Keep those cannas warm!
    sharon

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAREA!!
    Hope you enjoy a wonderful day!
    Wow! I loved all your plant moving adventure pics. Awesome! Herb is one heck of a guy. Just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I had to giggle at all your hoses.....looks like my place, lol.
    So, will you continue to grow in pots or will all those babies be goin' in the ground? I'm so happy for you both.

Another lovely photo from Anita's Iris garden. She should open it for tours. : )

Canna, say it isn't so!! I can hardly believe that little beauty is off to school. Is Maleah looking forward?

My Sister and I were just talking about how time flies....my neice Brooklyn is starting to get teeth and I think her Mom is a bit sad. Jenna said, "First she gets teeth, next she'll be off to college".
    Speaking of Brooklyn, i've got sooooooo many pictures of her and hope you don't mind if I post one of the latest. My Mom (Grandma Jea Jea) has a "photo shoot" every week when she babysits.

She's 7 mos. old already.

Mary s, I know EXACTLY what you mean about living in a horrible climate. I hear it from DH every single day of the winter. He can't believe we are building a house here and not in New Mexico or Texas (that's where he wants to live). If it wasn't for my family, i'd say okay.

Hi Angie! I wanna' see your pics. www.photobucket.com is free and easy to use. My favorite photo hosting site.
    I'm still waiting to see how my DL's did too. I think 'John Peat' is fine, but not sure about the others. No sign of life yet.

Dianne & Melissa, I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing 'Brian Lee' in bloom so please give me a peek when it's bloom time.

Nancy, great pics! I'm pretty jealous of all your blooms. : )

Susan, been thinking about you, Dan, & the rest of the furry family. Hope you are all okay. You haven't had any issues with the pet food recall have you? Many pets in our area have been sick or died. It's just so sad and really infuriating.

Well, a little news from the doctor....i'm a fingertip dilated. Contrax. are still irregular, but I had a ton of them yesterday. It was exhausting. I hope they slow down today. Baby is moving well and his heartbeat is perfect. I'm feeling a bit sick today...kind of nauseated and no appetite. Hopefully it will pass.

DH has been working until dark the past few days, taking advantage of the beautiful weather. He is almost ready to set trusses. Here are a few pics I took the last time I was over there...

A view from down at the road.....

{{gwi:2103493}}

And here are the completed rafters in the living room/dining room. I told DH i'm gonna' need a looooong pole to clean the cobwebs, lol. ...

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

One more thing....

Where is Carol? Haven't seen her around in a while.

Hope you are ok.
    HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mary_s
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Marea!

Dawn, glad to hear you are hanging in there! I do hope the next 3 weeks go quickly for you! Your neice is a "doll baby"! What a cutie! Your house is really coming along!

Anita, what a beautiful iris! Your gardens must be awesome!

Well for the damage report....so far only the tulips are "flat" this AM...daylilies are still standing upright. We'll see what happens. It was down in the middle teens last night. Snow flurries this AM. Hopefully this cold won't hit you all east of here!

Well off to work! MaryS

• User
    16 years ago

I got my swap box from Jean today! What a great surprise for a rainy Wednesday afternoon. And to boot, it's ENORMOUS!!
    Here's what she sent (I'm sending psychic kisses for each and every thing)
    1. Easter Card--a vintage style painting of a beautiful lenten rose cross
    2. 5 Plastic eggs--okay, I'll let you in on a secret Jean CANNOT COUNT! She sent oodles and oodles of plastic eggs stuffed with Starburst jellybeans, a too-cute ceramic platypus, gladiolus bulbs--Mon Amor, Green Star, picotee begonia Yellow/Red and a yellow felt duckling.
    3. A garden Surprise--apparently Jean CANNOT READ either! She sent a stained glass hummingbird windchime, a spring-loaded aqua stained glass flower and bumblebee garden stake, a cake plate sized clump of dahlia "Hawaii" tubers, a tuber of Gloriosa Rothschildiana, begonia Bouton DeRose,
    4. 3 Lilies--refer to #3 regarding COUNTING--she sent (better pull up a lawn chair and get comfortable, this is gonna take awhile)--
    Lily Triumphator (several)
    Lily Menorca
    Lily Red Hot fragrant
    5. Poem about Easter....she sent a lovely poem by Louise Lewin Matthews.
    6. Since April brings Showers...and I quote directly from Jean's note "Ok, I cheated."
    7. Pack of your favorite gum...Keep the gum, I got enough chocolate to keep me chewing for quite awhile!
    8. Rose-an adorable red minature in a cute pot. Perfect for me!

Additionally she sent three large chocolate eggs that are decorated like Faberge eggs (very striking), a bag of malted milk eggs, hundreds of tiny foil covered chocolate eggs, a huge sugar-free (are you taking note, Gloria?) walnut fudge egg, a full o fat and sugar chocolate fudge egg (for Walt) and the neatest thing--a bag of Minnesota Cultivate Wild Rice. At first I thought she sent me grass seed, I really need to get out of the house more!

Whew! I need to rest after checking everything out. Oh, and Peeps! What's Easter without Peeps!

Jean, you are a swapper extraordinnaire. I thank you,

Dianne

• marozeckinj
    16 years ago

Happy B-Day Marea!!!!!! I hope you enjoy your senior discounts for a long time to come.

Dawn the house looks great and your niece...adorable, no wonder she has photo shoots every week. Hope you are resting and feeling better tomorrow, rest now, soon you will wish you could stay in bed for 2 hours straight!

Wow! That's quite a box. I know Paul got his on Saturday he said he would post as soon as he had some time.

It is freezing here and raining and supposed to be in the 20s for Easter. What happened to Spring? Now I'm glad my little hosta nubbies aren't showing yet!

Another Wednesday night, must be time for Lost. Hope everyone has a good one

Melissa

• bourret
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Marea!!

Stay in bed Dawn!

Spring will be here soon and we can all be digging in the soil again. Close your eyes and breathe in. Can't you just smell that wonderful soil?

Lisa

• jaceysgranny
    16 years ago

Marea, I'm so glad to see you home with us again! I've missed your smiling words. I can't believe your DH helped you haul all those plants. Mine will do just about anything but I don't know if even he would go that far. You'd better hang on to him. I can't wait til you get the pot ghetto situated.

Anita, sorry but I didn't get your package mailed but it will go out tomorrow. You'll have an Extended Easter. ;-) I would have emailed you but my email is out of commission. I love that iris!

Dawn, it sounds like you're doing just what the doctor ordered. Keep it up so we can see a very healthy Talon. Brooklyn is a little beauty. I can see why you love taking care of her.

Dianne, it sounds like you got some great goodies!

Angie, I guess I am pretty far from you. I think it's about 5 hours to Springfield if I remember correctly. That can make a lot of difference. I'm in the foothills of the Ozarks. In fact they officially begin about 10 miles from my house.

Has anyone ever noticed that flowers seem to bloom by color groups? When the daffs are blooming so is the forsythia, the purple Iris bloom first along with the wild verbena and other wild purple flowers, etc.

When I got home today I had an Easter basket waiting for me from the local Home Extension Club. lol They take goodies to the shut-ins and I guess I've been one lately.

Canna, you'll have to take a couple of hankies with you for when you have to leave Maleah at school. I'm sure she'll love it and you'll get used to having some time to yourself again.

Nite all,

Nancy

• jaceysgranny
    16 years ago

PS Anita, there will be 2 boxes. I hope you like what I sent.

Nancy

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone..

Shirley,
    I skipped #7, as I don't chew gum, so Mary did not get any:( I forgot all about #7 when I was picking things for her box, she should have gotten it on Saturday.

Mary B,
    Come out from under the snow & let me know if my box got to you:)

Melissa,
    Glad to see you posting again, I'm sure you are thrilled to be out of school again:)
    Your sewing projects sound really cool, to bad I don't sew, could you imagine making them to match the colors of our house, to cool. If I knew what Holly I had I might take you up on them, I bought a male & female years ago, tags blew away & one of them died, I have only one that will not flower without a mate, but I don't know which one lived, do you know how to tell?

Sharon,
    Hope your Dad is doing better, I have Life Link on my Mom, she thinks I am wasting my money, but $35.00 a month is nothing compared to if she fell & could not get up, she is 75 & has not fallen in a few years, I almost think the LL makes her feel safer whether she wants to admit it or not. I tried for 2 years to get all my brothers & sisters 7 of them to help me pay for it for her, none can be bothered so 2 years ago that's what I did for her for Christmas, a gift I will never regret:)
    They are all so pretty, hence why I cant walk in my garden without stepping on Iris:) I wish I had more time for them , they need more care than the Daylilies, so I am sure I have lost a few due to my neglect.
    Dracunculus (voodoo lily?) How did you like the smell or am I thinking the wrong thing, I don't know, have been up way to long & it's only 9am:)

Jo,
    Glad you had a great B-day!! How are you doing? have not heard from you in a bit.

Cody,
    How's life in GA? Getting settled in I bet.

Canna,
    Oh, you better just take the box of tissues with you on the first day, Maleah kindergarten, wow has time flown by, Sorry I did not get to make her a snow man this year, by the time I waited for my stupid snowman kit to get here the snow was crap, I will try again next year:)

Jean,
    I should have sent my Easter swap to you:0 I forgot the Gum & took the shower things the wrong way:)

Mary s,
    Glad to see you again too:0) Was wondering if you got lost..So much for our snow being gone, I woke up to light snow this morning, how about you? Your frozen silly things will be fine:0)Just look on the bright side, you will have good bloom from the ones that wont bloom this year, next year. They should not have tried to rush, but the weather has been so crazy, they think it is time. I tired covering a few things, but have way to many to cover everything:( Hope you are in a better mood:)

Sherri,
    Good to see you, I was very disappointed to see my Lee Pickles had bolted over the winter, I did not even try, as it looks like he had crown rot, so sad I really wanted him, luckily I will get a replacement from the place I got him. How's your dirt today? mines covered with snow again.

Dawn,
    Thanks for the update,...

• lilamy
    16 years ago

Wow what a great idea! I have been on GW for years now but just found this forum. I want to play Easter Basket exchange next year!!! Maybe we can have a Sinco de Mayo trade? What about a first-day-of-summer swap for June? How about a 4th of July swap? ummm....trying to think up other occasions.... hehehe

-Any

• dirtpig
    16 years ago

Waving to all....smiles

Well the sun is shinning today at least and it hit 42 out at one point..
    but the snow is still here...sigh.End of March we had weather in the 40's and 50's and the 2nd of April its dumps on us/CRY

So jealous of those of you that have blooms..hehe...but loving the pictures.
    Been watching for the mailman all day.MaryS said she mailed my swap box out.Didn't want it to sit on the porch in the snow..hehe.She sent a lovely box of fun.
    {{gwi:2103496}}
    She sent a very pretty card with a short verse(poem)about
    spring and flowers..how can you go wrong with that.Smiles

Eggs 10...yup thats right 10 filled with different candies.
    Bag of Hersheys kisses..I hide all of it...LOL..bad mom that I am...mine and I'm not sharing...well maybe..LOL

She sent Milk Duds instand of gum..Now how did you know that Milk Duds are my FAV!!Good job...hugs

For the rose she sent Olvie Bailey Langdon daylily..so cool
    And yes its potted now.

Lilies Asiatic lily bulbs...Lollypop..happy dance..mine looked kinda of sad last year.So I'm very happy to get more.
    Also Pink Trophy and Nerone..ya know Lilies are one of those plants that you just CAN'T have to many of..Ya know like HOSTAS AND DAYLILIES....LOL

One very cute little mini flag for pot...to remind me that she going to send MORE..can you believe it..hehe
    She couldn't fit in the shower item was to fat and she wants to send me something out of her gardens for the garden surprise..Oh man...makes it hard to wait...hehe
    Knowing that I could have a hosta or pretty daylily coming soon..hehehe..but I CAN.BIG BIG HUG MaryS...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Dianne so glad you like your box.Smiles

Melissa...2005 trade...hehe..are you kidding me.
    I don't remember a thing..so send what makes your heart smile.Knowing that will make it perfect.

LOL Bard..Dirtpig neither chews or showers...that just sounds all wrong..still laughing...But please know in your heart that yes Dirtpig does indeed shower and useing soap too..HUGS

Nancy ..you know if you try raffling those bad boys off on Ebay someone just might take you up on it..LOL..people will buy just about anything on Ebay..Birthdays...I stop having those to.

Dawn..HUGS hun..hope bed rest isn't driving you to crazy.
    Just remember you'll be up and running soon and wishing you could just take a short nap...LOL
    Your house looks great,coming along nicely.Its going to be so gorgeous.
    Brooklyn is a DOLL ...OMG..just so cute.Love that picture

Marea ,grats on the new place..and WOW just a few plants to move.Man oh man...LOL...kiss that man a few dozen times for all that plant work.Keep the pictures coming.

Sherri..hosta bulters..yes plant them again..should be just fine...lol

Sharon..hope your Dad is...

• mareas
    16 years ago

Jean, hugs right back. My sincere condolences on all that snow. Your photos are just beautiful though - those birdies on the snow! And your tablecloth and swap photo is gorgeous. So glad to see your kitty gets to share your presents. (Boy did you SCORE - great box Mary!)
    When you said to our beloved returned-home Melissa "..send whatever makes your heart smile. Knowing that will make it perfect", I got tears in my eyes...

and MELISSA !! so happy to hear that you and all those red heads are doing good and you have time to garden again! Did you notice the "Welcome to my Herb Garden" sign you sent me way back when in my nursery photo? *grin*

Nancy - I HAVE noticed that natural bloom color co-ordination!! The early blooming forced Dutch tulips seemed very out of place, all red and glaring... Now the tulip season is starting here, though, so suddenly the purples are changing to red and orange, except for the violas sprouting in all my daylily pots.

Herb just grinned when I told him about all the kudos he got from you guys. I have him hood-winked into believing my plants are valuable is how I got all that help. lol
    Are you still a shut-in? Hope your therapy is working fast and you can get out there and garden soon.

Speaking of which - Barbara, I loved that photo of you out touring your planting on your new chair too! Did my heart good.

Sharon - my prayers and best energy for your Dad, too.

Back to taxes, Marea

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jean-Wow look at all that snow...I can't imagine that much snow. I bet your goodie box was welcomed.

Dawn-Love the picture with the view...Brooklyn is a beautiful little doll among those stuffed teddies and things. When Brittney was 3 we started entering her in beauty contests and went crazy with it. But one great thing was all the bonds she won from them. She had enough money when she wanted her car, to pay for it out of her bank account.

Anita-You made my day with the iris picture...You are right about irises needing more care than daylilies. I find bacterial soft rot alot and have to doctor mine up.
    I get mad and swear they are all going, then I see one bloom and I am in love again.

Melissa-Your box is on the way...Hope it gets there soon.
    Del. confirmation #01038555749925101810

Great boxes everyone is receiving..I can't believe the ones who don't chew gum....I love chewing gum and buy it by the cases...Melissa you will see what my most favorite is soon.

Shirley

• mary_s
    16 years ago

Hi!

Yes, I am in a better mood today! I was pretty bummed with the weather! We did not get any snow and after seeing Jeans pics, I feel some better! It has been pretty cold the last couple of nights...about 15.....so there was nothing to be done....like trying to cover things.I have noticed that if it gets much below 28 it really doesn't matter! Just hoping they come back. I imagine the tulips and dafs are done for the year but like Anita said...there is always next year. The sun is out today so that helps everyone's mood! No school (no work!) tomorrow-YEY! I sometimes get a bad case of "Zone-Envy" when I see what you southern gardeners are growing.

Jean, so glad to hear the package arrived, and did not have to get cold in the snow. I bet it is pretty cold up there too! Brrrrr! I ordered some "things" too and they will not be here till after May 1st so I will wait till then to send the rest! It will be worth the wait!!!! That should be a safer time for us, both to send and plant. Let's hope it is warmer by then! Your kitty looks like she is quite interested in the package contents, too! How funny...looks as if she is reading the note!

Canna, No package yet but will be watching for it tomorrow so it doesn't get cold! Sometimes Mr Mailman just hangs packages on the mailbox in a plastic bag. I guess he does not want to get out of his little truck!

Looks like I may have a "pot ghetto" in my family room for awhile. They have these bulbs for sale in the stores and they start growing right out of the box. What is one to do till it's safe to go plant them outside but pot them up! It does give us northern gardeners a "spring plant fix".

Well better go. Happy Easter everyone! MaryS

• jaceysgranny
    16 years ago

Barb, I had to go back and look at your picture again. I didn't even notice you in your new chair. I know it's a great help to you. I wondered if you could go out in the woods in them. Does it go over downed limbs and pinecones ok?

Jean, I'm freezing to death just seeing your snow and I love snow. It's about 60 today and I had to light the heater for the first time in about 2 weeks or more. It is beautiful though. Your lilies look pretty. I planted lolipops last year and they were so pretty. I've got a lot of bulblets from a trade a couple of years ago and have no idea what they are and they look like they'll bloom this year. I can't wait. They are one of my fav. plants.

MaryS, I'm glad to know that you are happier today. ;-) I know what you mean about those plants growing out of their containers. We just have to give them a home, don't we?

Anita, I couldn't get everything in 1 box and the 2nd is a smaller one. Some of the things I'm sending you were already up and growing so I packed them in damp paper and plastic. I hope they arrive safely and some may even still bloom. We'll see.

It got cooler here last night too so I'm hoping my cannas didn't suffer. I really want to see them bloom. Since the labels on them faded too I'd like to know what survived.

Annie, great news for Shelbie. I know that was a relief and made your visit that much more enjoyable.

Everyone else, I hope life is being good to you and that you get to play in the dirt soon. Have fun!

Nancy

Dawn, your house looks finished from the road. I know you'll be happy when it is. I love the different looks of the bricks on the fireplace. As for a long pole to clean the rafters, lol, I have one of those webster brushes and still tape a broom to it with duct tape and have to jump to try to get to the top of the stairwell. We brought the ceiling down in the rest of the living room because I didn't want to have to deal with that. lol You're a lot younger than me so you shouldn't have any problems. You can always sit on your DH's shoulders and do it.

• barbamaman
    16 years ago

Well howdy -

That chair I'm in in the photo isn't the new one - it's still on order - that's just my regular manual chair. The new one is a lot more substantial. I have to either throw out or destroy my old one, just 3 years old! according to Medicare rules. Isn't that dumb? You need a backup while the other chair's in the shop, or one to fit in tight places (like airplanes) and another to go clambering through the woods in, etc.

Anyway.

Dawn first - Could your life be any fuller - new baby (old baby Brooklyn!), lovin' man, new house, hew backhoe, new Hostas - you'll look back on these years with such a smile!!

Brooklynn is so pretty, and that outfit is adorable! Wonderful photo - as good as any studio photo! You have a multi-talented family!

The house looks great from the drive! I liked that stage - when the house looked like a real house from a distance, so substantial suddenly - it's a thrill. I'm looking up at my ceiling cobwebs. Your living room will be airy and roomy, and cozy like a cabin at the same time.

Talon will be here so soon - I can't believe it's nearly time already.

And now Maleah is off to Kindergarten. Will you miss her during your days alone at home now, Canna? I remember when Sara went off to school - that big yellow bus and that tiny blond girl climbing up the big big steps. She loved it; I'll bet Maleah will too.

We had a 45 degree drop in 24 hours, then snow and sleet and more snow with FOG! Is that weird or what??? It looked eery. My new Hyacinths are just blooming, and the new daffs, and pulmonarias, too, and VA bluebells in bud - will it ruin everything or do these spring plants know better than we do? We covered the Bleeding Heart - they don't seem to recover if they're frozen down now. DH covered the Kirengeshoma with pine boughs a month ago to keep it from breaking dormancy too early - good thing!

Anita - Those are Wind Flowers, Anemones, we put in years ago. All but those deep blue ones died out gradually. Let me know if you want a start.

What a beautiful Iris!

Jo - I'm glad your therapy helps. It's surprising how sometimes you can change things a little and get a lot of relief. Keep getting better!

Nancy - Your flowers are so nice! This time of year I always want to move south, but then May comes...

Marea - Amazing Herb cab still stand! Wow, what an undertaking! Won't your neighbors be surprised at the instant garden these new folks pulled off!

Angie - I hope you can get a replacement on your quality daylily! I like Maryott's - they've been good to me.

You're right Anita - we need another Talon photo!!

What great boxes this time, everyone's! I'm going to lie low boxwise til my hand surgeries are healed. They keep changing the date. I think April 23 is it, for the right hand.

How are you doing, Shirley? Did you get all rested up and doctored up during winter? Nothing like Iris all in bloom at once to brighten up anyone!

I finished Marie's...

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Marea, Happy Birthday, relax dawn house and neice are beautiful, texas is terrible, hot, hot, hot. we are selling our house, so i am in the process of packing cleaning, painting and living out of boxes so people can imagine my house as theirs no hint of us, luckily I divided most of my plants in the fall and put at least one of each in a pot, except I will be leaving all my mini roses, dog is in heat so have to keep her away from male so when a realtor calls to come see house, I have to take her with me, today a pit bull came after us my dh yelled at him but he almost attacked life is wild. I need resthugs carol

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Spring pictures in the South

eo Hosting at Photobucket">

Shirley

• jaceysgranny
    16 years ago

Shirley, your blooms are gorgeous! What are the small bushes that look like creeping phlox, or is it phlox just planted higher? Whatever, it is beautiful. You're tulips are pretty too. I don't have any luck with them after the first year they don't bloom again. I do have 2 red ones that I dug up at our store and planted between 2 trees that are about 8" apart with barely any soil that bloom every year. You have to walk out there in the far back and look for them to even see them. Jerry claims them as his and really loves them. Is the tree a redbud? Mine was pretty but it's planted beneath some larger trees and doesn't bloom as well as yours and I have to move my camellia, it's trying to die on me. Did you ever notice that you never get finished?

Barb, I say you're right, it is foolish so what some people don't know, won't hurt them. Why they don't require you to bring them back so they can be checked out and reworked if needed for someone else is beyond me. I work with developmentally disabled people of whom most use wheelchairs and I know they are expensive! That's our tax dollars at work they're throwing away.

Nancy

• marybz5ny
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yaayy! I was finally able to make it on the site. It is really hard for me to get on when there are so many pictures - but I REALLLLLLY loveeee the pictures when I do get on so please keep them coming.

Marea, A very happy belated birthday wish for you! I hope your day was as wonderful as you are! It is so exciting to see you post and update us all on what's going on in your "new life"!

Anita, sorry I wasn't able to post about the great box you sent. It was so nice to get a box of goodies in the mail. Anita sent me:

5 lilies 'Muscadet'
    5 lilies 'Triumphator' (LOVE THESE!)
    5 glads 'June'
    5 glads 'Plum Tart'
    5 glads 'Blue Bonnet'
    Liquid soap and a shower puff
    Cute little bunny and bird house garden decorations
    Plastic eggs filled with an assortment of Starburst, Smarties, bubblegum, etc., and extras in the box - enough to fill a candy dish
    Bag of jellybeans
    A really nice easter card and poem
    (Oh, I hope I'm not forgetting anything!)

Thank you so much Anita, You made my day! Now I wish the weather would cooperate so I can get those bulbs planted!

Canna, I have your box all packed up and ready to go but our temps have been in the upper 20's and lower 30's so I'm nervous about sending it out to you as there are some things that I don't want to freeze. It's supposed to warm up slightly this afternoon, so maybe I guess I will take a chance and mail it out late today and hope it wings it way out of NY quickly and into some more warmer temperatures. Feel bad that you will not receive it before Easter, but thought you'd rather get things still alive. Who was it that said you can have an "extended Easter"?. You should get it Monday.

Anita, I love that iris picture in Marea's birthday post. It just radiates warmth. What is it? I think I need to have it.

Dawn, Glad to hear that things are still going okay with you and that Talon is behaving himself. One of my kids was a premie - born 6 weeks early. He was such a peanut when he was born but at age 13 now he is my biggest of my three and probably healthiest. There was much worry for him in the beginning but everything turned out just fine, just as I know it will for you! You're doing GREAT taking it easy just like you're supposed to be doing! Bless your hardworking Jason's heart for taking such good care of you!
    The house progress is looking great too! What is your projected actual move in date? Brooklyn is such a cutie! I cannot believe how fast she is growing!

Shirley, love your spring pictures! I believe the second picture of the tulips are maybe the 'Shirley' bulbs I sent you a couple of years ago? Yes? Is the last picture a Magnolia? Oh I want Spring now too.

Jean, I am SO SORRY for your snow! It is so pretty though! We have light ground covering here but nothing like the accumulation you got! Sure is cold though. Not sure what all I lost yet. I know all of my crocus are toast. Some of the daffs were just beginning to open so I...

• mary_s
    16 years ago

I just got my Easter package from Canna! What a great big box she sent. Too big to hang on the mailbox this time so Mr Mailman brought it up to the house!!!!
    Here is what she sent-A pretty card and an Easter Poem by Helen Steiner Rice
    2 honest to goodness Daylilies!!!!!! "Unseen Angels" and "Eyes A Blue" I can hardly wait to check those out!
    Lily bulbs-"Elodie"
    A real rose-"Promise" my first rose! Who knows?Maybe another new plant obsession? These will all go in pots to be added to my "pot ghetto" in my family room. Its way too cold outside for anything alive....including ME!
    big plastic egg filled with Cadbury candies
    hand nozzle/sprinkler for my hose...really anxious to use that!
    Hummingbird feeder that attaches to the window
    magnetic notepad
    alphabet stickers
    Gum
    Thank you Canna for a great Easter surprise package!How did your daughter like kindergarten round-up? I imagine she is so excited!
    Sounds like many others have had these extremely cold temps too. Misery loves company, I guess!

Shirley, your pictures are so pretty! Hurry Up Spring!

Jean, I also got me a "daylily in the box" like yours....I let it "escape"from that box and it is growing by leaps and bounds! Hope yours is too!Hopefully that will help us get through these cold days till our daylilies outdoors will grow!
    MaryS

• marozeckinj
    16 years ago

I got my box from Shirley this morning.

Sorry I didn't post right away but had to run to the mother-in-laws to clean for Easter.

In my box I got:
    An easter card, and an easter poem on a beautiful plaque
    Plastic eggs containing candy, a gold $1 coin, a note saying that Daylilly Living Legacy wouldnt fit in the egg. For the garden surprise I got a birdfeeder and daylilly Egyptian Queen (from my wish list!)
    Calla Lily Mandarin Rose, 2 Girosa Lily and 2 Dizzy Lilys
    A bar of glycerin soap and a watering can for April Showers
    Extra bubble gum, a Peace Rose, 2 bearded Iris Vibrations and Rootbeer and an apple orchard candle.
    I hope I didn't forget anything! It was jammed packed with goodies and you made my day!!!!
    Thanks so much!!!

I am pot ghettoing mine too, it's in the low 30s and blustery.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Wow, MaryS, that got there fast! I'm glad you like everything. It has been awhile since I packed a box and had to think about how to do it! The hand nozzle is your 'shower' item, to shower your plants, LOL! I have one and I love it. I like all the different settings for watering the pot ghetto. I was so worried that the plants would freeze. It was nearly 80° when I sent the box! Now it is in the 40's for a high here.

MaryB, an 'extended Easter' is perfectly fine! I don't want anything to freeze.

Little miss diva, Maleah, had a ball going to 'school'. Coty's kindergarten teacher was there, so they got aquainted while I filled out the paperwork. I was pregnant with Maleah when Coty was in kindergarten. Maleah sat at a table and was writing her name and drawing pictures of lady bugs, butterflys, and flowers for the teacher. She is so excited to be going to school. She asked me if I was going to be ok by myself at home. I told her I would manage somehow :). When I took Coty to kindergarten, I was surprised how well I handled it, no tears. The tears came two weeks later when he told me that I did not have to walk him all the way to the classroom, 'cause he was a big boy now. I cried all the way home and most the morning. *Sniff* he didn't need his Mom any more!

Hi Dawn! Love seeing the house come along. Kudos to Jason for a job well done! I raise my Sammy to him!

~Canna

• abitodd
    16 years ago

Hello ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Could someone please send me Susan's mailing address so I can ship her Bathouse out. Dad finally got it finished inbetween his illness's and I need to get it to her to complete a trade.

Thanks
    Deni

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone:)

Lilamy,
    This group was started a few years ago, at the top it tells you how to get in the group.

Mary S,
    I was very amazed my daffs out in my big bed I forgot about are still upright, the ones down town are all flat, for some reason my tulips are not as advanced as the daffs so I had no blooms/buds on them yet. Oh, yes my beds are awesome all right awesomely full of weeds:)

Mary B,
    Glad you liked your box:) I have no clue what many of my Iris are, a few years ago DH & I went on vacation, at the time I had the plastic plant sticks marking my Iris, the dogs decided it would be a good time to rearrange my bed & snapped off almost all of my tags scattering them all over the bed, I could have killed them.

Jean,
    Man, oh man, you got some good snow:( I got lucky & only got a trace, but I know we are not out of the woods yet. I think it is all of about 20 here right now, to cold to snow, but Mother Nature is spitting some at us anyway. My DH still cracks up over your name, When I have been playing in the dirt (when it was warm) & got all dirty DH said Hey PIG PEN, how's your friend DIRT PIG, HA, Ha, ha he thinks he is so funny:)

Barb,
    I would love to try some:0) Thanks on the Iris, wish I knew the names still.

Shirley,
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L, It is just amazing the difference from 1 zone to the other, sure your not an 8 or 9 :) Just look at your lush grass, mine has not even started growing here yet, not that I'm in any rush for that, as I have to baby-sit DH, so he don't blow the grass in my bed's. He thinks if I'm in the house I don't see him do it, he better think again, when I am in eye sight of him he will hold the flap down on the mower so it don't blow in the bed's, when I'm inside he just mows about his business, I have busted him enough you would think he would learn by now.

Today is DH's Birthday party so I have to go get all the food done & the house ready, Have a great day all,
    :)Anita

Not sure if I posted this one from last year or not?
    HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE:)
    {{gwi:2103499}}

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Dawn,
    How about that PIC of Tolan????

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

OK, I need to vent LOUD!!!!!!
    David thought what a great day to fix the toilet that has been leaking for OH, I forgot how long, simple job right?? Nope not when the valve is all corroded & he could not get it off without breaking it, OK, so now I have NO water to clean all the veggies with, No water to wash my hands, thank God for rubber gloves, had to melt ice cubes to make the Swedish meat balls, 3 hours from now I will have a house full & nothing done:(

Jo,
    Mark this day on your calendar JULY 21, we are having a pig roast here, I am sure I will see you & DH?
    Wonder what brilliant idea David will come up with the 21 to mess the day up........OH, man I'm a bit ticked right now..:(Anita

P. S. On the bright side I do have another bathroom, just NO WATER!!!!

• luvmybulbs
    16 years ago

Ok I am testing Photobucket, thanks Dawn. We went to the zoo Thursday it was 35 degrees, bundled up but what a fun day. Today we hit the all time low since 1939 it was 23 this morning. Sheesh.

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

MaryB-You are so observant...Yes the second picture is the Shirley tulips you sent me in a trade. I just love them and they photograph so well. Hope to start a thread today with just our pictures so for dial up folks it won't be such a nuisance.

Nancy-The low growing bushes are azaleas. Those are some that I have that grow low to the ground. They really put on a show in the Spring.

Lilarny-If you have any of your Honeycomb butterfly bushes rooted I would be interested in a trade. I had one but it died and I want another one or maybe two or three. Think about joining the group we would love to have you.

Annie-I got your swap box yesterday and will post all the goodies along with some pictures later. You made my day with that box.

Anita-Your luck sounds like mine...Eddie will pick the oddest times to fix or do something and then it turns into a mess. WE GOT SNOW LAST NIGHT.....just a dusting but I couldn't believe it...Good luck on the Birthday fun...tell David HAPPY BIRTHDAY....My DS bought us a lawn mower with a grass catcher. We have never had one of those and I just love it...No grass left on the lawn and none in the flower beds. Thanks for the iris picture...drool drool

Shirley

• luvmybulbs
    16 years ago

Yeah I did it, this is Tigger.

Have a good day, I am off to get Easter Goodies for the boys.

Angie

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone!

What a wonderful surprise arrived in the mail and I couldn't wait to come show it off. : ) This group is filled with Angels for sure. Wait 'till you see what our dear Barb made for Talon.....

It is so soft and the love that she put into making it shows. Can you see the two birds in the pattern? Absolutely gorgeous and so unique.
    Barb, once again you have touched my heart and I will cherish this tiny sweater long after Talon outgrows it. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. I absolutely love it! And my DH thanks you too. Can't wait to show the rest of the family. BIG HUGS!

I have been sleeping for most of the day, otherwise i'd probably be checking in more. Seems like the more sleep I get, the less contractions I have. We are so close to the 35 week mark! I'm starting to feel like getting through two more weeks to 37 will be a piece of cake. My contrax. are still very much slowed down so keep your fingers crossed. I see the doc on Tuesday.
    Thank you all for your sweet words about my DH. He is so concerned about the good health of the baby and wants to do all he can so that I can rest. That in combination with his never ending work schedule is wearing him out. He has lost some weight and is extremely tired. I begged him to stay home today, but he headed over to the new house at 9am. It's cold and snowy. : (

What wonderful Easter swap boxes you all are enjoying! Great job everyone.

Oh, and thank you all so much for the compliments on my beautiful neice. She really is precious. And such a good girl. She slept in her "big girl" bed (crib) for the first time on Wednesday night. I had to laugh at her Mom....Jenna slept on her floor! lol. I assume she'll be camping out in there for a while until she feels comfortable. Brooklyn had been sleeping in a bassinet right next to Jenna's side of the bed.

Hi Lisa! Great to see you posting. Spring really is wonderful, isn't it? A time when there is so much to look forward to. I, too, like to sit and just "breathe it all in".

Jean....oh...pooor Jean.....all that snow! But such beautiful pictures. : )
    The rest isn't driving me too crazy. I am enjoying time with the birdies. They have been singing songs for me and doing alot of dancing. That keeps me totally amused. : )

Carol! Where are you moving to? I remember you mentioning a while back the thoughts of a *possible* move, but I must have missed anything else you said. Your DH is gonna' have to pack & stack all your plants like Herb did for Marea. I'm really glad the Pit Bull didn't get a hold of you. Actually, i'm glad you didn't get a hold of the Pit Bull. ; )

Shirley, how nice that Brittney was able to buy her own car! She must have been very proud.
    My Mom has taken so many gazillions of pics of Brooklyn so far. It's really funny trying to get her to smile. Those...

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Anita, that story really gave me a giggle. Esp. the part about the other bathroom, lol. And the Swedish Meatballs made from melted ice cubes.....OH MY I feel your pain. Sure hope the rest of the day goes smoother. And what the heck is DH doing fixing the toilet on his BIRTHDAY?????
    ; )

Angie, Yay! See, it's really pretty easy. And Photobucket is lots cooler than it used to be. You can do all kinds of fun stuff with your pictures. Glad you got it all figured out. : ) Have fun shopping!

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dawn-Love the sweater Barb made, I see the birds, how neat.
    That will definetely be a keepsake.

I received my Easter box from Annie and was so pleased:
    She sent me:
    An Easter card-It says Easter is a time of renewal.How true
    Poem-Peter Cottontail-Oh how I remember this poem, it was my favortie in school, we had to memorize it one year.
    Easter history, facts, customs and traditions-loved this
    Plant Pal moisture meter-Never seen one of these, it is a frog and it sings when your plant needs water...How neat is that....I will have to let the plant get dry just to hear him sing.
    5 eggs filled with-hersheys kisses, reeces peanut butter cups, and m&m's...Yum
    Bearded Iris-Northwest Progress....Love this one
    Rose-Skys the Limit---What a beautiful yellow rose, it is a climbing rose and I LOVE IT
    Gift certificate for Van Bourgondien plants...What fun it will be picking out my favorites to order.
    Annie thank you so much for a fantastic Easter box...I posted pictures on a picture thread...You really know how to pack a great box.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

HAPPY HOLY EASTER TO OUR ANGELS!

Smiling as I look at the snow outside (again) on Easter Morning

All i can say is,'Thank God it is not February!" I'll take snow in April as long as it is not February. This is what March and April are here, a taste of warmth, with the Truth of Spring/Summer right behind.

I'm determined to enjoy the last snow of Spring. (I have been saying that for several days now.) LOL

Dianne, you are going to love the Hawaii Dahlia. It is not a dinnerplate, but such a lovely combination of colors and is a perfect size for a vase. And the Lily Triumphator are huge and breathtaking. Easy to propagate from scales so give it a try. Very nice box indeed!

Anita, This particular Dracunculus hardly smelled at all. I had one a couple years ago planted in the garden and didn't know it would smell like that ... I kept looking for the dead animal in the garden that I knew the cat must have killed. LOL
    You are great to do the Life Link for your Mom. My Dad kept his cell phone on him at all times, but when he fell, he was in such pain and so disorientated that he literally forgot how to use it, so he laid there for 8 hours. Thank goodness he was on pain killers for his lung cancer that helped take the edge off the pain, otherwise I'm positive he would have gone into shock. He is coming home today, but it will still be a very slow recovery, he is still not the same man ... yet. Tell your mom this story and maybe she will realize it is NOT a waste of money. I sure wish we had done it.

Great boxes everyone is receiving.

Jean, nice snowy pictures... smile.

Shirley, I'm in love with your yard!

Dawn, that Barb is so creative, what a beautiful sweater.

Got to go, hope everyone has a great Easter,
    Sharon

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!

JAYE

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Day did get better yesterday:)Today is his real Birthday, but still why on earth would he even think of doing it the day of his party??
    Just wanted to stop in & Say,
    HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE:)

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

I want to thank Paul for the box I got from him, A package of 7 "innocence Passion Blend bulbs, Umbrella( I really need this, and it is going in the car tonight)5 eggs with mm's reeses pieces, and candy,garden gloves and a stuffed Easter Flower( so cute), A nice card with a poem in it, and a note saying that another box is coming with plants. THANK YOU PAUL!!!

Shirley, I'm glad you liked your box, but the rose bush looks like it really stressed. Let me know what it looks like in the next week, and if it has not perked up I will send another. I love your yard, so nice and neat... wish mine looked the same.

Dawn, I'm glad to see that Talon is still in his warm snug home. It Won't be long now. Shelby was born early too and weighed in at a whopping 4lbs 14 oz, it didn't take long for him to grow.

Looks like everyone is getting nice boxes, I'm just thrilled with mine, and I will post more later, I have to head out to work.

Marea, I want to thank you for the nice surprise box for my "Chris" A thank you card will get in the mail to you this coming week.(I will mail it myself this time).

Gotta Run,
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie