Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

UPDATE: 10,600 Traveling Daylilies

brittneysgran
16 years ago

Starting another new post with the traveling daylilies group. Hopefully it won't be long until we can all trade daylilies again. I have so many daylilies in my gardens from this group and will always treasure each one.

If any would like to join this group please get in contact with one of the members and we will go from there. HAPPY SPRING

Comments (100)

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Shirley how about 39 years, 40 in July ?, heading out to see if I got my Talon fix. Mamma G come outta the woods and say hi, miss ya hugs carol

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paul-You did it with 38 years and Jo is right behind you with exactly the correct months, days, and years. Too funny. I will ship your iris this week.

Jo-You will get one also for your correct guess.

You all were so sweet to say the things you did. Here is Eddie and I last year.

Thanks for guessing.

Shirley

• User
    16 years ago

Hey! I guessed 38 first!

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Wow, shirley,

You both look amazing. Way too young looking to be married almost 39 years. (smiles)

No sun yet today, but it is supposed to be in the 60's, so as long as it doesn't rain, its all good.

Paul,
    Yeah, I have heard that too, but I thought they "had" a good home. Lots of paper, nice moisture, lots of veggies, and apples, they just loved the apples, had a major sweet tooth. (do worms even have teeth?, grins) Had them for years, and no problems at all, then, "gone". Go figure.

Gloria,
    Carol keeps calling, and you haven't shown up here, so, I will lend my big mouth to her much smaller, quieter one.
    GLORIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    COME OUT, COME OUT, WHEREEVER YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OLY OLY ALL HOME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful day everyone,
    hugs,
    Jo

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane-You sure did...we must have both been typing and you just posted before I did for me to miss that one. So sorry and I will send your iris out probably tomorrow. I think Paul and Jo missed that 38 had been guessed also. If that had been a test Paul, Jo and I would have failed it. lol

Paul-I was thinking I sent you bearded iris Mam Zelle in a swap that we were partners. I can send another one if you like.

Looking for some nice weather here today. It's supposed to be in the 70's.

Shirley

• pchanggeo
    16 years ago

WHAT??? I won, then lost? Some Zeb Bush counting going on here... LOL.

Shirley, that name does sound familiar. Any ideas what the lost tag ones are in the picture thread? I'll be out of room very quick here with all the banana and hibiscus I'm expecting, so no worries. I may even have to dig out a brugmansia or two. 39 years in July... wow. I'm working on my 16th :).

Well... have to take my daughter shopping so she can spend her birthday money. Kids are on spring break this week.

• ellenh
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

It's been a really really long time since I've posted here. Last year was a really busy year for me and I didn't really do much of any gardening :( Many of my daylilies were decimated by voles. It was not a great year for my gardens.

Hopefully this year will be better.

I'm glad to see a lot of familiar names still here. Hope all is going well!

Happy Belated Bday Jo!

Ellen

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Hi Ellen,

It is "GREAT" to have you back. Don't worry about being MIA, I have just come back from that myself.It was longer than a year for me I think. Just happy to have you back.
    Sorry to hear about your poor daylilies. We will just have to get trading and get them back for you. Hugs!!

Your right Shirley,
    I didn't see that she had posted 38, so sorry.

Di,
    Big "CONGRATS". If you can't squeeze it into your garden, I will be glad to "babysit" her. (grins)

Well, gotta get goin,

Hugs all around,
    Jo

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen-So glad to see your post and know you are doing well.

Paul-You are too funny....about the count. I will check the irises and see if I can find the names. I sure hope my iris Forge Fire doesn't end up purple.

Shirley

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Hey Everyone!!!!!

Can you come out and play??

Com'on, tell us what you are doing, and what you plan to do in your gardens this spring and summer.
    And, tell us what your number one priority to do in your garden this spring is.

Actually..........Lets make it a contest......

The person with the most unusual garden project ("in my opinion", that way, no one has to vote, I remember that some didn't like that) will get a handpainted garden rock from me. (and remember, I have taught painting for over 20 years, so it will look nice, I promise) Then, we want before and after pics of the project, to satisfy our curiosity. Cause, I don't know about everyone else, but I am incurably nosey (grins) and "LOVE" to see all your gardens.

ok, time to run,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• ellenh
    16 years ago

Hi Jo,

Can I play?? My biggest project this year is not really unusual except in scope. We put a berm up at the end of the driveway a couple of years ago. Last year, we put a stone wall around the edge. Now I have to plant the top. It's unusual for me cause it's really big and I need it to be super low maintenance - tree & bushes with only a smattering of perennials. I've forgotten how to put pics into the posting but here's a link to the project. So far we've planted a few trees but it will take a lot to get it into shape.

Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: Wickechoeke Creek Farm

• User
    16 years ago

Shirley--thank you! I hope I look as fresh and lovely when I'm married 38 years. I have 8 years to go to catch up with you. And, Jo, I'll be sure to squeeze that gorgeous iris in where I can enjoy it as much as possible--near a window.

Most interesting garden project? I don't know if you'd count us fencing in our side yard for the grands. I'm making a sensory garden for them to interact with. Last year we put down a bluestone path with stones large enough to draw on with chaulk.

I'm planning an area to grow a sunflower teepee and another for a popcorn/morning glory house. If I'm lucky enough to find an old whiskey barrel I'll plant a crop of peanuts. That was a big kick with my own little ones.

Also, we've been looking at houses with my son and DIL. They need more room and property. The places in their price range all will need cosmetic and exterior work. Now that my yard is technically 'done' I'll be assisting with whatever help they'll need. Just the thought of a blank palatte is getting my creative juices going.

On an interior note--my kitchen flooring is 5/8 completed. The new cabinets come Monday and my GC said by Tuesday, I'll be cooking again. I'll post pictures.

I'm eager to hear of everyone else's upcoming garden projects.

Dianne

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Wow,

Ellen,
    That is gorgeous!!!!!!! What wonderful stonework, and so beautifully done. I love rock walls.

Di,
    A popcorn and peanut garden!! how very cool!!
    Where did you get peanut seeds? I would love to try that with my little ones. I have never seen any peanuts to plant. Would love to try it. I think I remember seeing some popcorn at one of the places I have been recently.

Come on ladies and gents!!!
    Lets hear all those great garden projects!!

Have a great day Everyone,
    Hugs,
    Jo

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen-What gorgeous property you have...thank you so much for sharing your pictures. I love rock work also and it looks very professional. I don't know what something would look like if DH and I did it.

Dianne-Your iris is on the way and I hope it does well for you. The sunflower teepee sounds awesome..Please post pictures of it when it blooms. Someone sent me some popcorn seeds in a trade so I think I will plant them.

Jo-That is a great idea about all the projects this Spring.

Shirley

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I moved here last year and have completed most of the yard, will post after pics on photo thread. weeding is my only project this year plus my new veggie garden. want a pond but dh says no, I wouldn't keep it clean, I'm still working on him tho. he does beautiful rock work , so he could make me a great pond. GGGGLORIA !!!!! is that louder Jo ? I love the lady and really miss her hugs. Is there anyone here who dosen't have some of shirleys Iris ? she has been generous with all of us. quite a lady as you all are. hugs carol

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

Ellen ~ the berm and rock work is AWESOME!!!!
    I wish I could get something like that done around my house! LOL!

GLORIA........GLORIA........MAMABEAR......WHERE ARE YOU.....

WE MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Projects? DID someone say projects? I need volunteers!

How about what is planned and what I WOULD like to get done!

2 ponds are suppose to go in this summer....????

Gazebo is suppose to get concreted....

Sandbox for the grands is to suppose to be done...along with playhouse built.....

Tool shed is suppose to be torn down.........

Greenhouse is suppose to go up!

Pathways are suppose to be layed down....

Exsiting flower beds are suppose to be edged with brick....

Indoor patio is suppose to be isulated along with sun roof/solarium being cut into the roof....and wood burning fireplace put in before winter....windows replaced along with doors and outside patio is to be sanded and repainted along with the entire house and the gutters replaced...............yeah right.......all by this summer????????? are you kidding??????????

OK!......... Notice I used SUPPOSE in all the sentences! LOL!!!

WE'LL SEE! Wish me LUCK!............I'll get as much done as I possibly can............although nothing is completed as of yet.....

Anita~ LOVE YA'! and everyone else as well!!!!!

High winds and possible tornados today....so far so good.....but we need the rain!

Spring break and have had the grands all week......enjoyed them but..............WHEW!!!!

Just came back from TYBEE ISLAND last week...had a great time! Going to Jekyell Island/Savannah/St.Simmons for my daughter's birthday.....she's almost 30...time flies!!!!

DH is taking me to see Kenny Chesney next month......I'm SOOOOO excited!
    Anybody like Kenny or country?

P.S.
    Won't be trading many DL's and some hosta's this summer because my GRANDS have some how removed most of my TAGS! Since they are a bit older now and understand that they DON'T remove the tags, I hope to keep up with things a bit better .......but I will need to replinish my collection ..... I will need to almost start over again.....I only have a few that I can recognize and they are fairly common ones.....although I have many other things to trade....

JAYE

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

I have to work today, but hubby will be picking me up from work and then we drive 4.5 hours to the cottage. Then come back tomorrow. Yikes!My brother was up there last weekend and emailed us pictures. Turns out the lake decided to push up a 4 ft wall of rocks on our lake edge. Look like the ice was thicker this year and scraped the bottom rock to the edge.
    Soooooo, talk about a project. We think it may be too big of a project of us to get the rocks back in the water, especially with my bad back now. So we will probalby have to hire someone to do it. It has to get done before Memorial Day so we can get the dock and the boat hoist in the water.

Wish us luck,
    sharon

• ellenh
    16 years ago

Good Morning everyone!

Where is my friend Gloria????

Jo, Shirley & Jaye - Thanks for the complements on my rock wall. I'm really lucky that all that fieldstone came from own property. We only paid for labor to put it up. It's a local guy who does it in between other jobs. He charges us by the hour for time actually worked. It wouldn't look nearly as good if we had done it ourselves.

Di - I love your garden plans they sound really fun!

Jaye - your list looks like mine. I try not to think about it too hard. My wish list would fill a book.

Last year, DH decided to bring in some help for me to get the spring gardens ready and de-weeded. Don't worry he said, they know what they're doing. When I found them using a large hoe to dig all the "weeds" up in my perennial beds I almost had a heart attack. I lost a bunch of plants - some of my favorites. They only know how to take care of gardens that have bushes trees and annuals. I'm giving him some gardens like that but leave my perennial gardens alone!!!!

Ellen

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Wow, Look at all the posts!!! I love seeing you all back here posting:)
    I will catch up soon, I just wanted to check in & see if anyone has news on Lisa? I will try calling again soon, Sorry to be MIA so long, another Co-op at Dave's & I have been busting butt!!
    Will be back..:)Anita, Oh it is so good to see you all again:)

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jaye-Sounds like you have had some great vacation time. Good to see you posting again.

Anita-I agree..it seems like old times with everyone posting again. All the co-ops have just about bank-rupted me.

I spent the day cleaning out flower beds...I have almost desolved two very big ones and I am so happy, 25 beds is way too many. I have potted up most of them for a big plant sale. It was hard to decide what goes and what I will keep.

Sharon-Good luck on your rock problem. Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get it done.

Shirley

• User
    16 years ago

I was in Schenectady yesterday into today with my sisters. We saw Defending the Caveman in Proctor's Vaudeville Theater on State Street. If anyone gets a chance to see this--make a point to bring your significant other with you. It was insightful and so funny at the same time. We all came away with a very different view of the War of the Sexes to be sure.

I came home a few hours ago to MamSell iris from Shirley! Thank you! Thank you, Shirley!

I'm going to clean out the closets (both DH and my own), post the clothing on Freecycle and then open a bottle of Pino Grigio as a perfect ending to a great weekend.

Hope you are all having a great second weekend of April.

Dianne

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dianne-So glad it finally got here...The name is Mam Zell if you want to make a tag for it.

I posted some pictures of GD Brittney's prom

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

We checked out the shore damage at the cottage. We will have to hire someone to push in the rocks ... Dawn, my hubby says a bobcat (like the one you posted a pic of a while back) will do the trick. Can we hire you????

We spent a good part of the morning watching the ice melt on the lake. Just sat there drinking our coffee, trying to keep warm. It is just a 3 season cottage and it got down to 25 degrees Sat. night..... burrrrrr!
    I will try and post some pics of the ice damage on our pic thread.

Just had to mention that this morning we went to the Tractor Supply Co. in the town where our cottage is. Hubby bought me a 8x6 portable Hobby Greenhouse for only $89 for my BD. It is a Shelter Logic. More like a tent or a car port than a greenhouse, but it is perfect for me. I'm going to try and put it together tomorrow. I have off work for a dentist appt .... yuck!

s

• mareas
    16 years ago

Oh shoot - I missed your birthday right back!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY SHARON !!
    I hope this is your best year ever!COLOR>

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

Thanks Marea, pretty funny we both missed them this year. lol

My birthday continued today. Hubby came home early to help me set up the greenhouse (it looks just like one of those plastic sheds).
    sharon

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

Sharon,

Hope you had a great birthday.........

JAYE

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Hope you had a good one Sharon!

Sassy

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Sassy you better stop posting pictures of me!

Happy Birthday Sharon!

~Canna

• dirtpig
    16 years ago

WOW alot of birthdays this month.

Happy belated birthdays to all:)

Hapyy birthday Sharon.
    Hope you had cake,gifts and loved ones on your day of days.

Snow is still melting from the last storm that went
    though last weekend.sigh..So tried of snow..hehe
    And it was all gone too!!!

hugs all

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

my update:

i finally got a new car. 2004 jeep laredo, silver. takes two tracks like a pro. not really a whole lot else new. i'm putting in a small pond this summer, 4x6 i think. so i'll need some pond plants a little later, hint hint. shipments have started coming in. so far daylilies seismic force, diane grenfell, taos, lies and lipstick, evelyn kloeris, happy halloween and grand floridian, heucera ginger ale, heucherella pink gem, clematis slimvaki, coneflower green envy, jap iris edens paintbrush. my plants delight order should be here tomorrow, pretty exciting.

ok offering these here first
    1 fan each of
    lies and lipstick
    evelyn kloeris
    grand floridian
    grandmas smile

two fans of happy halloween
    two fans of rock solid

• sassyd
    16 years ago

I'm on it! lol Just let me know what you want. Not all of mine are ready to trade but I have lots not listed yet.

Sassy

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry to have been missing again. But, we have had some very nice weather, and I have been cleaning, cleaning cleaning those gardens.

HAPPY BELATED B-DAY SHARON!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol,
    that was much much better!!!!! (grins)

GLORIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carol, (and all of us) want you to come and see us. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We miss you, hugs, hugs

Jaye,
    Wow, yeah, I can really relate. My list looks like that as well, but I have *starred* 5 projects that have to be done this year. The rest are things I want to do, but only if there is time after the main ones get done. Hope you get a few of yours done too.

The projects are sounding good, anyone else have a really good one (or 2?)

Alex has been out helping me in the garden, he put some of the dead stuff in the wheelbarrow, and carried a couple of empty flower pots to the shed. We got the sand for his sandbox, plan on setting that up very soon.

I was very impressed with all the posts, it is sooooooooo awesome to be back among my friends.

GREAT BIG WARM HUGS TO ALL,
    Jo

• sassyd
    16 years ago

cody _ Mi sorry, reading back, I'm so sorry, I thought we were getting trades started. lol I guess I mis-read, sorry:(

Sassy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Okay Jo what is it gonna take to get Mamma to come out and play ???GLORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cody, I would like grandmas smile, what can I trade you for it ? HAPPY BELATED B-DAY SHARON
    big hugs to all
    carol

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Oh Miss Mellen...............

Have a good one sweetie!
    Sassy

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday to all I have missed, just got the last of the Co-op boxes in, so I hope to have more time when they are back out again.

Cody,
    I would LOVE to get these from you:
    lies and lipstick
    evelyn kloeris
    grandmas smile
    happy halloween
    Do I have anything you want?? Hey, I have tried E-mailing you about the Brugs a few times, are you getting my E-mails. Long story short, had to bail my nephew out of jail, drained the bank account & I had to cancel my Guidrys order, Please help a poor girl out!!

:)Anita-Off to pack boxes

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELLEN

Shirley

• mareas
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday to you Mary Ellen!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

I had to post and show ya'll this. I noticed a few days ago that I have a bud on America's Most Wanted! I was quite excited because I thought it was a little early even for me.

Blooms are a coming! Yippee!

Sassy

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Sorry, forgot again about the pic thread........

• mellen
    16 years ago

Sassy, Shirley, and Marea, Thank you so much for the "Happy Birthday!" You have no idea how much that means to me.
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

Mr Cuddles has decided to enter the garden experiment contest.
    He asked me to type on his behalf since his walking on the keyboard would be even harder to read than the stuff Gloria types ( lol!) Oh you know I'm just funnin' ya, Gloria!

Mr Cuddles is always on the look out for giants and after some net surfing decided to find the biggest 3 Alocasia in the world that also have the possiblilty to succeed in Illinois. He knows winter storage is sometimes tricky and so decided against any Colocasia. He wants to know which one is the biggest giant in Illinois zone 5!

He was thrilled when they arrived this week from LariAnn of the International Aroid Society in Florida! You can see for yourself how smug he is posing with them! He picked Borneo Giant ( which will probably prefer Borneo to IL)
    BorneoMac ( LariAnn's cross)
    Calidora ( which is reported to get taller than my tallest Alocasia (Odora) for someone in a similar zone)

These are the "before" pics.
    In the fall we are taking the "after" pics to show how big they got!
    I'm not sure if this experiment game is going that long.

Mr Cuddles has left the room, looking for pancakes.

Karen / cheerpeople

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Cuddles and his plants

• mareas
    16 years ago

Karen! LOL!! I hope to soon see sweet lil' Mr Cuddles dwarfed in a forest of giant prehistoric leaves... I have an EE that has managed to live through the Winter here in the office with one 8x10 leaf at a time, Angie sent it to me labeled "Upright Elephant Ear", so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does this Summer too.

Congratulations on your SCAPE, Sassy! Isn't it thrilling? My Ruffles Elegante might even flower before the end of the month if it ever stops snowing - already I've started the rushing out to see progress in the mornings LOL

Cody, those are some mighty fine daylily picks, as usual! I don't have anything to trade you this year, I don't think.
    My few incoming for this year: Delta Blues, bonus plants Lori Goldston & Strawberry Fields Forever, my precious TLBB, Moroccan Madness, Purple Mound and still to arrive are Admiral's Braid and Unity Consciousness. Been trying VERY HARD to downsize, but I just couldn't help getting a few...

Mellen, you are so welcome. I DO know how much it means to have somebody remember *grin* Hope this is your best year ever.

Shirley, your grandbaby sure HAS grown up fast - what an absolute doll she is!

And what an absolute WRECK your shore is, poor Sharon! Time to rename it Rocky Point, huh? Dang

My hostas are starting to unfurl - if I'm gonna swap hostas it has to be quick...
    ~m'

• namso
    16 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Happy Belated Birthdays Sharon, Mary Ellen & Marea! hope you all had good ones. :)

The warm weather is contining here...little daffs and crocus are done. Being followed now by big daff's and tulips (tons of new ones here..thanks Maryb), hyacinth and the pear & cherry trees. It is wonderful having blooms again!! Marea, hard to believe you are getting snow. ive got my fingers crossed we are done, at least hard freezes. but May 15th is the safe date. in the meantime, im enjoying!!!

Daylilies, :):):
    *Sassy, wow, a scape for you too. Yeah! blooming pic needed when happens!
    *Marea, egads UNITY CONSIOUSNESS. a hanson with an edge. oh boy, cant wait for pics. and that TET LBB is going to make some nice seeds for sure!
    *Cody, wish i had something to trade for your GRAND FLORIDIAN. no extras on incoming yet though :(. maybe later ill find something for it if you dont trade it ist.
    *just a few here, MEE YING, and some smaller yellows, BUBBA ON TOUR, BETTER THAN BUTTER, and IRON MAN (at least i hope, this one came tagged without a name). nothing to speak of for extras though yet.

Shirley, love the pics of you and DH as well as your GD. that pic in fromt of the cherry(?) tree is just a keeper. im sure she will love her Lets Make A Deal gift too. too funny.

Garden projects: Jo, great to see you back. love this idea, what fun it has been to see what everyone is up too.
    * Ellen, what a great rock wall. glad to see you post.
    * Dianne, love the sensory garden idea. your GK's will love.
    * Carol, just lookie at those new virgin veggie beds! way to put in the time for preparation.
    * Sharon, hope you get those rocks moved in time for the new boating season. cool greenhouse deal, i love Tractor Supply.
    *Jean. love the art! very unusual.
    * Karen, love how Mr Cuddles is in those pics. sound like neat plants too.
    * Jaye, your list scares me lol. i thought mine was bad.
    *Shirley, i so understand your dissolving. good for you. i just havent been able to take total distruction yet.

My garden projects: well mine mostly center around fixing old problems, more re-sizing than down-sizing, and/or would be more appropriately titled garden disasters :).

*elimating duplicates...when i bought this property 10 years ago, i would often split and seperate incoming to cover more space. I did this for at least 5 years. It did not occur to me at the time :), how much maintainence is required, or how number of plants add up, and when they grew i started split out more into some mass beds lol. Removal includes misc allover the place items, a stella bed (my 2nd bed and still a sniff sniff for me), and a 300 ft driveway bed X 4-5 plants wide of nothing but duplicates. Staus: all duplicates are gone except for my first bed of HAPPY RETURNS and HYPERION. that is going nowhere, i still just love it and it is very easy to maintain after 10 years of mulch.
    Replacements: almost all...

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

Shirley, love the idea of the full bottle of money. Yep, she is to young to know how much money would be in the bottle. My kids might know, just because for big trips, like Disney World, we would save all the change in a jar, and told the kids that how much was in the jar was how much they could spend on suveniours (spelling?) They were shocked at how much money it ended up being ( and so was Mom and Dad, lol)

Marea, I'd forgotten about the Maracas, they are so cute! Looks like Anita did Valentines day proud.

Karen, I can't wait to see the final pictures of your Alocasia.

Mellen, Happy Belated Birthday .... seems like I've been saying that to often lately.

Cindy, what a post ... I read it all. lol I'm listening to you slightly older wiser women talk about downsizing. I still have some pain with my back and am finding it hard to go out and garden ... yikes, I'm not even 50 yet. I told hubby I would give it one more year to see if the pain lessens, if it doesn't then I might downsize a little. But I have decided to decrowd my gardens. I want to give my favorite daylilies room to grow.
    I'm so sorry to hear about the shovel/teeth problems.
    Try to wait out the pain before getting the rootcanal. Once I went 2 months with lots of Advil/pain, but the pain gradually subsided and I was able to avoid the root canal. I think it was worth it, but I've never had a root canal, and someone who has thinks I was crazy. But I've avoided them twice so far by just waiting out the pain. Crazy ... well, maybe. lol

Going to pick the DD up from college today, she is coming home for the summer. Hurray!!

Friday I'm going to help pack for a co-op from that other site. Should be fun to meet some of the gardeners from the area.

I hope everyone one is into spring now. Cindy, you are a little ahead of me. My crocus is done, but the little daffs are still in full bloom. I have a couple of the big daffs up and one tulip someone sent me that I think is a species tulip .... so cute.

???Oh and my hellebores are in full bloom. I thought they were supposed to bloom earlier???

??? And does anyone know about Leeks? I planted about 20 last year. I put them through out the flower gardens, where ever there was space. I think I pulled one up to eat. Then I started work full time, then I hurt my back and they never got pulled up. I thought they would die over the winter. The bunnies loved them in the winter. Well, they are all still there this spring and coming back???? I just might get to eat them after all. lol

Off to a wonderful busy day!
    sharon

• namso
    16 years ago

Oh no, she's back and probably still on meds!. ok so its true :) but i'll try and keep it shorter.

Thanks for your concern Marea and Sharon. d-day is tommarrow...sharon im just a hoping she says i dont need one. it was an iffy anyway. but ill sure ask if its an option....

Sharon and Shirley, have to share a story....I would have known about the amount in a change jar. My gma's brother Uncle Sam was unmarried/nokids but the absolute coolest guy ever. I believe my father referred to him as a bad influence, but to us, he rocked! He kept all his change (even the good quarters and sometimes half dollars!) in what appeared to me at the time as something as big as a 5 gallon bucket. We visited once a year every year (lived out of state) to visit. From a wee young age, with every visit, we were allowed to put one hand in (eyes !must! be closed tight), and keep whatever we could come out with that wasn't dropped. It was like the lotto for years to a kid. Since your hand always grew, it was always the best year ever. :)
    One year i even got a casino chip. think i got a buck to return that lol.

This was always followed by a ritual of ggma's homemade pastries and hours of pool with Uncle Sam who "tried" to win it back. Odd how those games were always a tie. can you even tie in real pool. ? Very fond memories.

Sharon, wish i could help on the plant questions. no ideas.

Cindy

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is "such" a gorgeous day. I am doing the happy dance.

Cindy,
    I am soooooo sorry to hear about the tooth. I do hope it goes well at the dentist. Hugs
    I love it that you have those great memories. It is very special.

HAPPY BELATED B-DAY TO MARY ELLEN. sorry I missed it.

WOW!!!! So many posts, IT MAKES ME VERY HAPPY!!!!

So many wonderful garden projects, too fantastic.
    Its gonna make it difficult to choose.

****************ANNOUNCEMENT************************

Ok,
    I will give everyone till this Saturday to post your projects. I will announce the winner on Sunday.
    (SMILES)

Carol,
    I think we need to do what I used to do with my boys when they didn't contact us for weeks/months. I just packed up a missle and did a countdown to launch (lol)
    Believe it or not, it worked nearly every time.
    So, I suggest we give that a try.

GLORIA.........
    We need you, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE come and let us know how you are.

T MINUS 10.....AND COUNTING................

Sharon,
    I hope your leeks don't do what my moms did. They literally took over all her flower beds. Once they got a hold, there was no getting rid of them. They are still there, and going strong, and, (no exaggeration) they are now in the thousands. We dug up all of her beautiful plants and transferred them to my gardens, and believe me, I was VERY careful to make sure none of the leeks made the trip.

time for me to get going,

big hugs to all,
    Jo

• User
    16 years ago

Jo--last year I planted the roots of some scallions I bought at the supermarket and they're growing like the hammers of h$ll! Can I do the same with leeks? I love them but they're very expensive around here.

Dianne

• ellenh
    16 years ago

Good evening everyone!

Happy bday Sharon and Mellen

Hi Cindy - amazing how it all grows so quickly. That sounds like a huge job to get rid of all the duplicates. It's a huge garden! I love your story of your great uncle. She sounds like a lot of fun.

I don't know if you all remember that a few years ago, DH had a bad accident. We have a farm and had a variety of farm animals. After the accident, we got rid of them. Well finally DH has fenced in a yard and is building a nice big shed for more animals. He's almost done with the shed. He's finally doing things right too. Building the yard and house for the animals and then getting the animals. We're trying to decide what kind of animals to raise. We want something that will be profitable and fairly easy to care for. It doesn't have to be wildly profitable but profitable. Anyone got any ideas.

A lot has changed since last year. I've gone back to work full time. It took about a year to work my way back up to a full time job somewhat close to what I had been doing before. I just started working about two months ago for a small pharmaceutical firm. So far it's been great.

About six months ago I took a big step forward for my health. I was pretty overweight and had been for years. I had two friends that had gastric bypass surgery and lost lots of weight very successfully so once I had insurance that would pay for it, I had it done too. So far I've lost 72 lbs. I went from size 22 to size 10 so far. I have more to lose but I feel great! I finally have a figure again too!

Ellen

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen-Congratulations on your weight loss..Yeah a new wardrobe is in order. What fun it will be to pick out all new clothes.

When we grew up I most always got hand me downs. I was so much taller than my older sister by the time she out grew her dresses they were oh so short on me. I fussed and fussed and told Mom they were too short for me to. My Aunt brought both my Sister and I lots of clothes from someone she knew to. Anyway I think because of that I love new clothes. I have 3 closets full plus I store my out of Season clothes in the loft. When I have a yard sale lots of people come to buy my clothes. Then I make money to buy more clothes. LOL

Sharon-I know what you mean with back trouble...if the old back goes you are in trouble.

Cindy-Loved your story about your Uncle Sam and the money jar. Brittney used to get candy out of a jar at her Great Grandma and Grandpa's house and it was kinda like that. She would have to drop half of it back in the jar so she could get her hand out. She would get so mad because she couldn't get all she wanted out at one time. Pa would laugh and laugh at her. Hope your broken tooth has been re-paired. Crown and root canals are sometimes a must if you want to save the tooth.

Karen-Mr. Cuddles is so cute and what a cute name.

My median irises are now blooming and oh so pretty. I will have to post pictures. The hard freeze last year must have really helped the bulbs to multiply this year because I have tons.

Shirley