Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

NEW: Incredible Edibles Homegrown Recipes

booberry85
15 years ago

Incredible Edibles Homegrown Recipes

{{gwi:1252937}}

Yes, It's time to show off both your gardening & culinary talents! So just what do you do with all those homegrown zucchinis? Do you have a favorite sauce recipe? Salsa recipe? Vegetarian Lasagna maybe? This swap is all about the homegrown and what you do with it.

Here's the rules:

You are required to send at least 6 packets of seeds. (You may send opened packets but they must be equal to 6 full packets of seeds. You can also decide with your partner if you'd like to send more.)

Please include a few of your favorite recipes that would incorporate the seeds given. These can be soup, salsa, sauce, main meals side dishes, etc. Anything that you do with your produce.

Partners will be assigned on March 22nd.

Deadline to send your package to your partner: April 7th

If you have any questions about this swap or it's specifics please either post here, or email me and I'll get right back to you.

Happy Gardening!

Becky

Comments (58)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome kin2mice! Glad you decided to join us.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oh what the heck....sign me up too!!

I was trying to cut back on swapping as my seed stash has grown monstrous....but hey, we can always do another clean out the old seed bax swap again next January ...right *crossing fingers*. And next time I am going to really and completely clean out my seed box...really....

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

hmmm, I am lurking............

What can I come up with I wonder.......

Will let you know if I am joining! Christy

• opie12
    15 years ago

Alright...the lurking is over....I'm in

Melissa

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna & Melissa, welcome! Ok, Christy! You know you want to! You don't have the tomato swap holding you back now. Come on and join the fun!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Come on Christy you know you wanna! LOL :D

YAY! Donna, so glad you are back with us! You were missed for sure! :)

Melissa, I'm so glad that you are joining us too! This will be loads of fun. :)

I'm getting excited! hehe

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Im soo lurking I soo love to shop for these secret swaps. Love them.

Acres

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Join us! Join us! Can you tell I'm trying to put you in a gardening trance? Can you feel it? LOL! Hope you can join us Tracy!

Christy, stop lurking and join us!

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

I would like to join this please!

Mary

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Mary! Glad to have you join us!

Here's who is joining in the fun this round!

Booberry85 / Becky
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy
    Kin2Mice /
    SunnyK / Donna
    Opie / Melissa
    Prayerrock / Mary

And our lurkers:

Purple Acres / Tracy
    Bonechickchris / Christy

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

C'Mon Tracy and Christy
    ....join.....join....join....everyone is doing it....you know you wanna.....

Wow...what a flashback to a bad 'Afterschool Special' LOL!!

But at any rate, join us guys, it will be a blast!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Hands Becky the Neck Watch... You're getting gardening itchyyyyy, verrrrry itchyyyyy... ROFL Did that help you out putting them in a gardening trance Becky? hehe

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL! I think you put me in a gardening trance! I can see that clock swinging back and forth. "Yes, I want to garden. Yes, I want to participate in swaps." I didn't need to be put in one! LOL!

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha, Becky (Booberry!) :) I am thinking about joining this swap. On a related note, I have just sent you an Incredible Edibles-related email which is a bit time sensitive, and I would appreciate hearing from you soon. Thanks!

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

ah, notice you are pairing real names with screen names good idea. My usual name is Mouse (what my friends know me as) but in yahoo my email comes up as from my given name of Rebecca. I usually sign off in emails as Mouse aka Rebecca. Or if people don't catch it and call me Rebecca I use it. I prefer Mouse though. ( not small,going grey and curious is me... LOL) Hope that helps.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Rebecca, it really does help.

Becky, LOL That wasn't what I meant to do! LOL I'm glad that it was proven to work though... :D Now if we can just get it to work on Christy and Tracy...

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's who is joining in the fun this round!

Booberry85 / Becky
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy
    Kin2Mice / Mouse aka Rebecca
    SunnyK / Donna
    Opie / Melissa
    Prayerrock / Mary

And our lurkers:

Purple Acres / Tracy
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Grovespirit / Iris

Thanks Mouse for giving your name. I think it makes the group more personable if people give their names. There's still plenty of time to sign up!

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Ok Im in Im in.... lol

Acres

I soo know I really really need to update my wish list. I just have been really busy with my new website.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WhooHoo! Glad you're joining us Tracy!

Come on lurkers! There's still plenty of time to join the fun!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi there! I've been lurking ever since the master list of events was put up.. this one is reallyyyyyyyyyyyy calling out to me...lol and that watch swingin' back n forth...! ((((*)))) (((((*))))) mesmerizing.... :P

I know a few people already in this swap... and it's a good time for me to mail.. and goodness knows I have a gazillion recipes and half a gazillion seeds....... ok. I'm far too much a recipe and seed addict to let this one pass me by!

COUNT ME IN!! :D

p.s. I go by either SassyB or Wendy. Either/or :)

Nice to meet you all!

Happy Fridayyyyy
    ~Wendy / sassyB

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm in too! I don't know why I bother posting that I am lurking, because I always wind up joining ! LOL!
    Christy

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha Becky/booberry- I would LOVE to join, but before I can join I need private feedback from you about an Incredible Edibles topic which I asked you about in email.

I have sent you an important, time sensitive Incredible Edibles related email which really needs a prompt response from you. It's not something suited to discussion here on the public forum.

It's also not something that our leaders Kathy (southerncharm) & Bonechickchris can answer for me. In fact, those two leaders referred me to email you about this matter, so only you can answer this particular email question of mine.

I've been waiting for your email reply for a bit over a day now. At first I thought maybe you were too busy to get online and reply to me, but now I see that you have posted a new post to this thread, so you were online since my email was sent to you.

I know that life can be busy and sometimes email winds up treated as the last priority...but this particular email of mine is really kind of urgent, and it very much relates to me joining your Homegrown Recipes swap too. So, please email me back with a response, when you get a minute. :)

I don't want to have to keep cluttering up this forum with repeated requests for you to email me about this private matter. I also don't want to have to discuss matters that ought to be private, in a public forum. So if you can please email me back promptly- hopefully within 24 hrs of this post of mine- we can avoid all that. :)

Thanks for your understanding!
    Iris (grovespirit)

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

ah, online hypnonosis! What fun does this work for other addictions as well? I could use someone to help me with biting my nails in anticipation of getting my first "big" veggie garden planted. or maybe the new found addiction of seed catalogs and jiffy pots! LOL

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Iris, please check your email. I did respond this morning.

Welcome lurkers! Wendy & Christy, I'm glad to have you join us!

Mouse, you need to start some seedlings and get some dirt under your fingernails. That'll stop you from biting them!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Uh Oh kin2mice!

If you think you are getting a seed addiction, you will have no intervention from this group! LOL! We are a bunch of seed enablers here! So you might as well start expanding that garden space and getting those planting containers ready! hang around here long, and you'll be hooked!LOL!
    Christy

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Becky, please re-send your reply to my email. Your response did not arrive. :(

I checked before I posted on here...and just now I checked my email again; still nothing. I even checked my Junk/Bulk folder. No sign of your email reply anywhere. Please re-send. It did not arrive.

If you replied to me this morning via Gardenweb's email system, I recommend you avoid that system. Emails sent to me via the GW email system usually do not get through to me.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I have a question about the rules of this swap, which I think is fine to discuss here on the public thread.

We need to send 6 packets of seeds it says. Do the seed packets we send for this swap all need to be commercial seeds?

Or, can some of the seeds we send be home-saved seeds, packeted in amounts equal to what would be found in a commercial packet for that veggie?

The reason I am asking is that I have several varieties of nice, high-quality saved seeds for edibles. These saved seeds are at least as good as commercial seeds. Probably even better than commercial seeds, since they are fresher and more likely to have a high germination rate.

So, I'd like to know if we can use home-saved seeds like that in this swap or not.

Having this question answered may be useful to the rest of this group too!

Thanks,
    Iris

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Iris, I responded to your initial email. It did not go through the Gardenweb. I did resend the message.

Regarding commercial seed: "You are required to send at least 6 packets of seeds. (You may send opened packets but they must be equal to 6 full packets of seeds. You can also decide with your partner if you'd like to send more.) " These do not have to be commercial seed but should be viable seeds and equivalent to the amount received in a commercial pack.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Here's one of my favorite recipes that I use with my fresh garden produce:

CREAMED SEASONAL GARDEN GREENS

* TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
    * SERVINGS: 5

* Can make ahead; stores well. Also fine to halve or double the recipe depending on how many lbs of greens you have on hand. :)

Ingredients

1. 4 pounds (4 large bunches) seasonal garden greens. All of these can be used, singly or together: collard, endive, chicory, arugula, amaranth leaves, new zealand spinach, malabar spinach, catalogna, mustard, turnip, radish, chard, mature (not baby) spinach, beet greens, orach, broccoli leaves, sorrel, etc.- Wash well.

2. 1/2 stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter

3. 1 medium red onion, or 3 medium shallots, minced

4. 4 small to medium garlic cloves, minced

5. 1 pint heavy cream (Half and half can be used but is not recommended. If you use half & half it won't taste as good and also won't stand up as well to freezing.)

6. Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper

7. Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)

Directions

1. Remove all parts of the greens- such as thick stems or big leaf ribs- that are tough. Make sure you still have 4 lbs. of greens after this; if not, go pick (or buy) some more. :)

2. Bring a very large stockpot of water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add half of the mixed greens to the boiling water, a little at a time, and push them down into the water. Let the water return to a boil, then cook until tender, 6 to 10 minutes depending on what kind of greens you have. Using tongs, transfer the greens to the ice water. Repeat with the remaining greens.

3. Drain the greens very well and squeeze them dry in a kitchen towel, then cut finely into shreds with a kitchen knife. It's very important to shred them finely *before* you simmer them in the cream or they'll never get tender.

4. In a very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion (or shallots) and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced in volume by half, about 25 minutes. Add shredded greens to the cream and toss until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve with an optional dash of nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Make-Ahead Note: The creamed greens can be refrigerated overnight, and this dish also freezes well.

Adapted from a "Food&Wine" recipe, to allow for mixed greens and a smaller garden size. Original recipe may be seen at URL below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Food And Wine Recipe

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering the Q about commercial seeds or not, Becky. Much appreciated. :)

Unluckily, for some reason Becky's emails are still not getting through to my Yahoo mailbox. :/

Becky- I am sorry - I have no idea why your emails aren't reaching my Yahoo box- but your re-sent reply also did not get through to me. :(

I hope we can work around this obstacle. Would you please try sending me your reply via private message at IDMG... (the URL below)?

Directly under my chili pepper profile pic it says "Send Message"- click on that with the mouse and select the option "send a private message to grovespirit." Messages sent to me on my IMDG profile page have been reaching me just fine.

Or if you prefer, I can email you a different email address of mine (such as gmail) for you to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: grovespirit's IDMG profile

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning Everyone! I thought O'd post an update.

Here's who's join in the fun!
    Booberry85 / Becky
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy
    SunnyK / Donna
    Opie / Melissa
    Prayerrock / Mary
    Purple Acres / Tracy
    SassyB / Wendy
    Bonechickchris / Christy

And definite maybes:

Grovespirit / Iris

There's still time to sign up!

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Boo-your original recipe with the roasted vege's: You can also use the same vege's, root vege's, and drizzle with small amount of olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with taco seasoning. Toss lightly so as not to crush vege's My grandma taught me this one. You can nuke them, but they have a little better flaor if they roast in the oven.

I have been lurking and would love to join too. I see many of my new friends on here and would love to get to know the rest of you.

Nichol

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome to the swap Nichol! Thanks for the tips on the roasted veggies too. I love it when there are easy variations to a recipe.

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Okay I see I am still able to join this one..wow almost missed this too. I want in!! Please??
    I am all ready and have been havin garden web withdrawl!! It has finnally stopped snowing and it is nice out today, let hope it stays that way for a few months.It snowed here wednesday!! NE PA
    Hello everyone and have a nice day!!
    Polly

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I've been lurking since you posted this, and it sounds like fun, so sign me up. How many recipes are we sending?

Bonnie

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Polly & Bonnie, welcome to the swap! I kept the amount of recipes a little vague on purpose. The number I have in mind is three. However, you and your partner can decide to trade more or less recipes.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Ha, ha, Becky! Leave it to me to try to nail it down to a specific number.

"the minimum is 17 pieces of flare, but we ENCOURAGE you to wear more."

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Office Space! The quote was driving my nuts, Bonnie!

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Schooch over I wanna join!

Kamil

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Kamil!

Here's who is joining in the fun so far:

Booberry85 / Becky
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy
    SunnyK / Donna
    Opie / Melissa
    Prayerrock / Mary
    Purple Acres / Tracy
    SassyB / Wendy
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Gardenmom2 / Nichol
    Frenchfrylegs1 / Polly
    Highalttransplant / Bonnie
    Kamiljablo / Kamil

And definite maybes:

Grovespirit / Iris

There's still time to sign up!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Oh look at this turnout!!! What a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY month this is gonna be! Makes my heart go flutter flutter! hehe Sigh... Look at all these faces, makes a mother so proud! ROFL

Mouse, oh boy! Have we got you by the tail now!!!! hehehe ;)It starts out with just a few packs, then it turns into boxes of goodies each month! :D

Bonnie! ROFL "the minimum is 17 pieces of flare, but we ENCOURAGE you to wear more." That's what I'm talkin bout! :D

Becky, we're serving a 10 course meal over here. From appetizers to deserts. Notice the s's? ;) OH and look what I started with the pocket watch! LOL How cool was that!

If you can't find a recipe at home, you can always search the net for something that sounds scrumptious. Oh the possibilities!!! :D

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There's still time to sign up. Don't be shy! Come on and join the fun!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There's still time to sign up! I just wanted to let the group know, I'll be out of town Friday morning until early Saturday evening. Don't worry though! I'll be back in plenty of time to post partners on Sunday. I will post the partners in an "Update: I. Edibles: Homemade Recipes" Thread. I hope everyone is as excited as I am. I was told about a place that was a little off the beaten track. So on my way back from a job site, I couldn't help but buy more seeds there today!

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

southerncharm - the tail, the whiskers, the dirty little paws yes, I can say that I am hooked beyound belief the only problem I still have is that once I clean the nails I go back to nibbling on them! Oh well, what is one little flaw amongst so many others... LOL

I do have a question though.. what if the receipt we have does not contain enough veggies for 6 packets can we send duplicates?

All my seeds have started to germinate and I am rapidly running out of bedroom space to put them (it is the only room that gets enough light that the cats don't eat the plants in.. )I am begining to think that if I give up sleeping on my bed put plants on it and just curl up with the cats in a box I could fit a few more seedlings in! LOL

If anyone is in the Columbus Ohio area Sutherlands is having a 15cent seed packet sale and Oakland park nursary is still having 33% off seed packets.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The recipe(s) don't necessarily need to incorporate all of the varieties of seeds you send. For example, I may send someone a couple different tomatoes, a couple different peppers, basil, nasturtiums, eggplants and beans. I might be able to find a recipe that incorporates everything but the nasturtiums (like a yummy pasta dish.) However, I might think my partner would still like the nasturtiums, so I'll send those along too.

I would give up bed space for more seedlings! It's only temporary right? LOL!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Or you could send more than one recipe. I am going to be sending along 3 or 4 recipes , as some of the recipes only call for 2 or 3 veggies. This way I can do 6 or more different types of seeds even with a recipe that has limited veggies.

Donna :)

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I've been lurking and decided to join.

Sign me Up!

Nancy

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy, glad you decided to join us!

Ok, lurkers there's still time! Partners will be posted tomorrow.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please check the Update for your partner!

Here is a link that might be useful: Update: Incredible Edible Homegrown Recipes

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Couldn't help myself, bought more seeds today!