Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenntongrows

NEW: Container Gardening Swap

jenntongrows
17 years ago

I am trying to plan what is going to go in my pots around my patio this summer.

Then I thought that this might be a good swap to have.

Everyone would get a partner.

Let your partner know if your container will be in the sun or shade.

Then we can exchange, plants, bulbs, seeds, tubers, magazine, books.

Anything that will help your partner make a wonderful container.

Deadline to mail May 15th. (if you think this deadline is too soon or too far away please let me know and we can change it)

dc must be posted.

Post on the site when you receive your package.

Then I thought it would be nice if some of you would post pictures of your containers as they grow.

I think this would be fun!!! Hopefully everyone agrees and we get lots of sign ups.

Comments (61)

• galium
    17 years ago

Hi Jenn,
    Count me in too. Container is my middle name.LOL Full to Part Sun.

Mariann

• jenntongrows
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome ladies.

I will take sign ups for another week or two and then assign partners

Jennifer

• marozeckinj
    17 years ago

Off the subject but not really

DH wants to put two large containers by our front steps. He of course wants some elaborate urns but we have a craftsman style house and I think it would look ridiculous. But not wanting to pass up the opportunity to shop for containers and plants ON HIM, I need some help! If you guys could send me pictures or links to pictures of your containers so I can get some ideas I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks

• llbean
    17 years ago

Me too please full sun here too..

Laura

• marozeckinj
    17 years ago

Jennifer ans others

I am gonna have to back out of this one. I jumped into spring fever with both feet and up to my ears in trades and swaps (and a little overwhelmed)!

Melissa

• jenntongrows
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mellissa,

So sorry to hear that you are backing out. If you decide to change your mind please let me know. We can take sign ups for another week or so.

Jennifer

• skohler
    17 years ago

would love to give this a try .
    this is my 1st time to try my luck at container gardening for my back deck .just build last summer . so all color's, all type of plants ,welcome I have many seeds to share with others also.
    very little shade on my deck till my caster beans get up to size :)) will be adding partcial roof maybe later this summer :))

can any one tell me if canna's will do ok in large containers . & would like to find a black elephant ear think there called taro & have the mammoth ??? its green .

do we send our partner a list of wants for them to go by as to what we might want to grow ? in our containers or set up a list here?

susie /skohler

• galium
    17 years ago

Jennifer I usually have my containers all planted by May 6th.

• jenntongrows
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susie,

Welcome! I grow canna's in pots and they look great.

Marianne,
    I will take sign ups for a few more days then close it. As long as everyone agrees I will give partners out the first few days of April and we can ship by May. Is this good for Everyone??

• jenntongrows
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Please check your mail everyone. I sent you some questions to fill out.

LLBEAN Please let me know that you got yours. I had to send it through gw and they don't always go through.

I want to thank everyone for participating.

jenn

• RowanSGrowin
    17 years ago

jennifer,

i would like to be a part of this but all i have are mini-veggie seeds and some dwarf flowers. Please let me know if there woudl be a perfect partner for me!

thanks!
    linne

• galium
    17 years ago

Jenn do you want our addresses on the questionnaire along with our real names?

Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    17 years ago

Sounds interesting. Can I get a bit more info? Should the plants only be perennials? Do pond plants count? I am new to these kinds of trades and am not sure about the rules.

• galium
    16 years ago

Here are some of my containers I'm getting ready to plant next month.

• llbean
    16 years ago

Hi. I did not get my email. SO if you could try again?
    BTW I have 4 planters that are in full sun and I have three baskets I do in shade.

I have some Oxalis Triangularis bulbs on the way if someone with part sun wants to be paired with me, or however this works?

Laura

• galium
    16 years ago

Jennifer, would it be possible to assign partners soon. I'm always on the look out for gardening items when I go shopping.

Thanks,
    Mariann

• skohler
    16 years ago

IS THIS SWAP GOING TO TAKE OFF FOR i HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANY NAME OF WHO i WILL BE SENDING TO ?????
    I THOUGHT I SENT IN A INFORMATION SHEET FOR THIS
    JENN CAN YOU TELL ME IF YOU GOT IT . & IF THIS ROBIN IS STILL GOING OR NOT .
    THANK YOU
    SUSIE

• missg
    16 years ago

Hi my name is Gale, I'm still trying to find
    my way around gardenweb.
    If, it is not to late I would like to join.
    container garden swap.

• galium
    16 years ago

I have a feeling that this swap fizzled out.

• marcial
    16 years ago

It's spring vacation for many schools, there's been snow still in a lot of zones, and she has 29 questionnaires to match up and send out. Give her a little time.

• galium
    16 years ago

The number of participants is actually between 12-13.

Jen has not responded to anyone, that I know of, for over 2 weeks. There are quite a few members looking for her. Jen if you're out there I hope you are OK.

• rachaelp
    16 years ago

If this swap is still open, can I join in??

Thanks!
    Rachael

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Hi everyone -- I have volunteered to take this swap over and coordinate everything. If you all would like to send me the form that was sent to you, I can start to get this thing put together. Thanks!

Paula

• galium
    16 years ago

Hi Paula,
    I just sent you an email with the form that I filled out for Jennifer. Thanks for taking this swap over.

Mariann

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Thanks Mariann, I received it. I will email everyone else tonight to make sure everyone knows. I hope everything with Jenn turns out okay, it seems as though she was very conciencious, and something terrible must have happened to have her not respond. She will be in my prayers.

Paula

• llbean
    16 years ago

Hi all.. I was part of this swap and she never sent me a person to trade with..
    I say that we just start a new thread and start over again?

Laura

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Okay, I just sent everyone on here an email requesting your questionnaire, and I also included the questions in case you didn't get them. If you could get these back to me by tomorrow I can get partners assigned. The only person I don't have an email for is MISSG, can you please let me know how I can contact you?

I am not going to drag this out more than the end of the week, for those I haven't heard from by then, we will have to catch you next time as this one has been sitting a while and I know you are all anxious to get your pots planted. Thanks everyone!

Paula

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

So far I have received confirmation from:

rachaelp
    marcial
    skohler

So that makes 4 so far in the swap, which is fine really, since we have swap partners doesn't really matter how many are in it ; ) Two people have backed out but the rest I haven't heard from yet. I will close this tonight so if anyone else wants in, please send me your questionnaire. Thanks!

Paula

• galium
    16 years ago

Paula, don't forget me...........

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

oopsy ; ) .......so the list is:

rachaelp
    marcial
    skohler
    galium (yeah!!!)

Come on girls, this will be fun and we can all post pictures of our wonderful containers.......any one else?

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

I received one more questionnaire from sguanzon, so I am emailing everyone their partners right now. I am going to be out of town for three days starting tomorrow so if I don't get them assigned now, I won't have a chance till Monday and I didn't want to wait that long. I hope I don't offend anyone that didn't get a chance to get theirs in to me, but I would rather get it going than wait too long.

Soooooo here we go:

skohler sends to marcial
    marcial sends to galium
    galium sends to rachaelp
    rachaelp sends to sguanzon
    sguanzon sends to skohler

I will email the partner questionnaires right now. Hopefully this works out well for everyone. Lets say all boxes need to be mailed no later than May 1st....I know this doesn't give much time, but hopefully you can all make arrangements with your partner if you need extra time. Enjoy everyone and don't forget we would love to see posts of your containers throughout the season I will start a new thread for the receive boxes and photos that we can hopefully keep going. Let me know if you have any questions!

Paula

• marcial
    16 years ago

skohler, I lost your email of last week and couldn't get through on your email. Would you mind resending it? Thanks, marcial

• skohler
    16 years ago

marcial my email is next to my name above Just click on it :))) Just need for you to send a list of plants you
    are looking for , columbines, sedums,daylilies, irises,
    vines ??
    just give me some clues :))
    susie

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

am i too late to join??

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Yes, sorry bigmamma4ever, I have already assigned the swap partners. Thanks!

Paula

• galium
    16 years ago

Rachael your box went out today.

Mariann

• marcial
    16 years ago

Skohler, I've tried to email you 3 times and can't get through. I'd love any pastel columbine, daylily +/or iris. Please no sedum. If I still can't get through, I'll email my address to Paula. Thanks.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

please count me in, just learning how to container grow this year also! this should be fun!!! this will be 3 groups i will be in. oops! that'll have to be it though, can you imagine the hubby?? Lol he gets the job, i get the house and kids. Lol so now this is our hobby. my youngest (talla) loves to plant flowers, does good for a almost 5 yr. old!

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

I just sent Skohler's box yesterday DC# 0306 1070 0003 7816 1805. Hope you like what I sent Sue!

I apologize for being so late this month. Too many overwhelming obligations at home. I'm usually one of the first to send my box - not the Last!

Sue

• skohler
    16 years ago

Hi sue : ))) YES I love the box it arrived today I Have all the plants in the container . sorry I can't tell you all the name of them for they had no name on them but I planted them all in one nice big planter & as soon as they are over the shock of travel I will post a picture .
    also receive
    a very cute little Hand painted chair .
    2 gardening in container books witch i plan to look through
    tonight after i get off here .
    package of Jobs plant stick food
    garden glove I never have to many of them I love to get more .
    coco fiber potting soil
    glass butter fly to hang on the basket all are very lovly
    I do love them & as soon as you see how the basket is you can tell me the names maybe :)) I know just can think of them .

marcia : will be getting your box out I hope tomorrow
    will let you know for sure .

susie

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Sue, If I remember correctly I sent lantana, vinca, and variegated periwinkle............

Sue G.

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Gale (missg)....your box went out and the confirmation #0307 0020 0004 6539 1938. I hope you like it!

Paula

• skohler
    16 years ago

thanks sue I looked them up & was going to repost the names :)) I knew what they were but couldn't get them in my head so sorry :((

marcia : your box is on the way today sent the conf #
    to you in the email if you do not get it please post here for the conf # , for some reason the emails are messed up.

thank you all for a nice swap .
    susie

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

I received the nicest box from Rachael yesterday. Such large, lovely, healthy plants!

I got:

Stella d'oro daylily
    Autumn Joy Sedum
    Paprika Yarrow
    and
    the cutest rose - she grew from seed.

Thanks so much Rachael - everything arrived in good shape!

Sue G.

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a very nice card and some hand cream was received as well. Thanks again!

• missg
    16 years ago

Hi Paula,
    Your package is on the way.
    The DC# is 0306 2400 0000 7727 1199
    hope you enjoy it.
    Gale

• missg
    16 years ago

Paula,
    I received my goodies yesterday
    I got assorted color canna
    a very nice photo album
    moisture meter
    and 3 pack of seeds that
    I will be planting this weekend.
    Thank you Paula for my goodies.
    Gale

• journey149
    16 years ago

Am I too late lmk

• jasonp
    16 years ago

Hello I was just wondering if it is to late to join?

• marcial
    16 years ago

Galium, your package is en route, sent out last Friday by priortity mail.