Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

new: seed n stitches swap for april

lindaruzicka
13 years ago

I thought I would post next months swap since Dan's is winding down. I thought we would do something a little different this month. So here goes:

We have 5 choices of blocks to pick from which are listed on www.quilterscache.com with directions on how to do them. These are easy enough for the some of us who are still sorta new at this quilting thing but, hopefully, interesting enough for those who have experience.

The 5 choices are:

Baby Bud

Box Kite

Contrary Wife

Depression Block

Fly Foot

You can do up to three. You can make them all different or do the same one for all. The blocks will be 12 inches when finished. You can't tell which ones you're doing so it's a surprise for your partners!

Here's the rules:

1. Anyone is welcome as long as you're a member in good standing.

2. Tell me how many you'd like to make

3. Any color you'd like as long as it has a garden theme

4. Sign-ups by April 1st and partners posted

5. Mail date by April 15th

6. Seeds can be included

7. Add a note explaining why that block appealed to you

Let the sign ups begin!

Comments (89)

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Whoops...forgot to add that I need Christy's addy, please! :)
    I believe I have Cindy's...although...Are you regular Cindy, or CK? LoL! :D

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

***sigh***
    the missing word is "fun". y'all have fun with this one.
    ==========================================================

LOST: ONE BRAIN (used)
    If found, please put it on a leash so it doesn't escape again, and then contact me. I'll be glad to come pick it up.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that's okay Dan we all just filled in the blanks..LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Got my blocks ready to mail out to Linda & Cindy (just gotta pick up some stamps tomorrow, then they'll go right out!).
    I still need Christy's address, though!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Hi hazelnutbunny. I was going to email you Christy's address, but your GardenWeb email link is not working - it's not showing an email link button on your GardenWeb member page. So was unable to send you an email.

Rainy, super windy, nasty weather here today with this cold front coming in.

Got some batik fabric to make a sailboat applique baby quilt with today; that will be my May project. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Sandra, thank you for making my day today! That block just screams of Spring, and will make a fantastic addition to the quilt I make from blocks I've received from the S-n-S group! Bless You!

Today I received a great-looking, Springy quilt block from Sandra, even though I had to drop out of this swap due to some health issues. I am beginning to get my blood sugar back in balance, which is a very good feeling! You just don't know how good it feels to feel "normal" until it's gone.

Linda, thanks for filling in the blanks!

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well Dan, since you do that for me, I'd thought I'd return the favor!

How's everyone coming along with their partners addresses and blocks??

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Sandra, my email is just my gardenweb name at hotmail.com
    I don't know why I can't change my account settings, it keeps giving me an error message each time I try to update. *grrrrrr* I can't even edit my trade page!

And...my van is in pieces today, so I can't get to the PO. Hubby was going to replace a window motor, but it turned into a chain reaction of something breaking, so something else broke and when THAT broke, it took something ELSE with it.....*UGH*.... hopefully, it'll be back together and fixed this evening. So frustrating!!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Dan :-) I thought you might like that one. :-) Glad your sugar is doing better.

Hazelnutbunny I just emailed you Christy's mailing address. :-) Hope you get your van fixed soon.

Off to start hand-quilting my mom's canning jar applique lap quilt. Finally got it pinned yesterday. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra, what a lovely block you sent! It was so spring like that it made me want go out and plant something! It was pink and green and just perfect. Thank you! ((HUGS))

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

You are most welcome Linda. (hugs) :-) Glad you like it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, I was color blind yesterday..must've been thinking spring and green. ANYWAYS, the block Sandra sent was PURPLE and pink and white (although there is a touch of green) and the block was "Contrary Wife"..so what made you pick that block, Sandra?..."L"

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Blocks are on their way to Cindy & Linda. I will have Christy's in the mail tomorrow.
    Finally got the van fixed last night (yay!) but woke up to water gushing under the house. *sigh* It's always something! LoL! But at least we already had the floor taken up in the bathroom & hallway, so it will be easy to get in there and fix. Messy....but fairly easy. Yay for the little things! :)

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Linda, I just liked the pattern of that block. I found it amusing that it is called the Contrary Wife though I would not consider myself one. Spent my afternoon hand-quilting mom's canning jar lap quilt in between laundry, vacuuming, and mending a shirt for DH. Last night helped my child get their room cleaned. So yeah! most of housework is done for the week - I get to spend my weekend quilting and organizing some photo albums. :-)

Hazelnutbunny I can relate we are having trouble with the plumbing in the kitchen this week.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I've received 2 lovely squares from Sandra and Sharon. Thanks! I will take pictures once I receive the third and hopefully this time they will come larger.

I hope to mail my squares this weekend, or Monday at the latest.

Bev

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh Bunny, sorry to hear that..if isn't one ting it's another, isn't it?

I'm working on my blocks over the weekend and should have them out on MOnday...

• bev2009
    13 years ago

OK, I know my daughter says I have really aged this year, but come on....I was finishing up the last block and a thought popped into my head...measure the block to make sure it is 12"...didn't really think it was necessary but I have learned to listen to that small, still voice. Measured and the block it is too small. Seems I cut all the squares 3.5 instead of 3 7/8. Well, I was out of the small amount of fabric I had found and I couldn't find the big bin of fabric. So I went on another search (3rd search) and found it on the shelf in the basement right where it should have been. How could I have missed it three times? I found several lovely fabrics and had fun picking them out. I had cut out 2 blocks worth of squares and working on the third when I thought 2 7/8, that's right, no what the heck, I need 3 7/8. How could I have done this again???? I need a break. So you are my break and then I will get back to cutting so I can get these mailed out tomorrow. Hope everyone else is having a better day.

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Eeek! Bev, I feel your pain! I have such a reputation for being scatterbrained, that my hubby won't let me help with the bathroom remodel! (he only let me take down one wall, but that was because it was DEconstruction, and there wasn't any wiring or plumbing in it, so he figured I couldn't mess THAT up..! LoL!) I sure hope your day got better! I know everyone will appreciate those blocks all the more, knowing how much you went through to make them! :o)

I received a very pretty block from Sharon today! She did the depression block, because it was new to her (and it looks like fun, I should've tried this one!). She did it in a lovely pink/blue floral with a pretty blue print fabric. Thank you, Sharon! :D

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's where we are with the blocks so far:

Linda sends to: Melissa, Bev and Sandra
    Sharon sends to: Melissa Bev and Cindy ...sent
    Sandra sends to: Sharon, Linda, and Bev ..sent
    Melissa sends to: Linda, Cindy and Christy ..sent
    Bev sends to: Sharon, Cristy and Melissa
    Cindy sends to: Christy, Sharon and Sandra
    Christy sends to: Linda, Sandra and Cindy

So how's everyone coming along with their blocks?..I'm making mine today, had a little trouble getting into my craft room, had to find my table!

Melissa sent me a very lovely block of Contrary Wife. She said "that's what I seem to be sometimes so it seemed fitting". It's done in white, yellowy-green, and turquiose..VERY springy! Thanks so much Bunny!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bev,
    sent you an email for your address..I swore I had the darn thing and can't find it!.."muttering under breath"...darn gremlins!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

My bad...I finished my blocks today, but they won't go into the mail until tomorrow. I really appreciate you guys letting me practice on you. Some things I learned this month from You Tube quilting clips and experience...

1) check and recheck the measurements
    2) don't pull the fabric when you iron it. Anyone need some trapazoids?
    3) loved the directions for speed piecing the half squares for contrary wife
    4) do not backstitch, it is not needed (I have a hard time letting go of this one)
    5) You do not need to zig zag each piece to prevent raveling (I really want to do this, but it would take for ever and doesn't seem to be necessary)

Linda, thanks for introducing us to the site. I want to try a bunch of the patterns.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend. Hope you are continuing to improve, Dan.

Bev

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Bev, I have a hard time not back-stitching. Cindy said it was not necessary so on this month's blocks I tried to not back-stitch. Not back-stitching will making sewing the little pieces in the blocks so much easier on future quilt projects.

Trying to teach myself how to do decorative stitching on my mom's lap quilt. I think I have a lot of learning to do. Thinking having plastic stencils might help as well. Having a good weekend so far. Hope everyone is having a good weekend too! Easter break (from school) is almost here and summer is not that far behind. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Sanda, I assume you mean hand stitching? On the one and only quilt I've made, I made my own plastic stencils (didn't know any other way at the time) and use the ink pens that disappear with water. I know they probably have a name but it is upstairs right now. That worked pretty well.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bev, I learn something new with each new block we make !..LOL! This month it was two things: yes, it really does make things go smoother if you press as you go AND yes, you can turn the same piece of material around three times, even after looking at the directions, sew it in and then realize it's wrong, if you're slightly delexic..LOL!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the quilt page..any volunteers for next months' hosting???..."getting out paper and taking names"

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Yes, Bev, I am talking about decorative hand stitching. I only have a couple of quilt stencils so am thinking I may just try to free-hand some decorative designs with the disappearing fabric ink pens. And then hand stitch over the top of them on mom's lap quilt. In the future I think I want to invest in getting more plastic quilt stencils though. Well off to work on mom's quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Sandra, I remember seeing something about the Amish quilts. In the old days they would take common household items and trace around them for the stencil patterns, such as using a lid to make scallops.

I found the site below which has a link for free quilt stencils. I like their suggestion of pinning on the pattern you print on your computer, stitching through the paper and then pulling the paper away. I just took a paper piecing class and they had us use fabric glue to stick on the pattern. Loved it! The site also recommends stencil patterns, which you can get free online and cookie cutters.

Here is a link that might be useful: stencils

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thanks Bev, had not thought about tracing around common items found in the house like lids. I think that is a great idea and will have to try it. Thanks for the link will have to check it out.

Linda thank you for the beautiful contrary wife block full of ladybugs and bumblebees!

I spent a little time taking pics of flowers in the garden this morning. Now am just getting laundry done and working on mom's quilt.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I received a pretty block from Bev today! It's pink & pink florals, just beautiful! I love it, Bev! Thanks! :D

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Thanks, Melissa. I'm glad you like it.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's see where we're standing, shall, we?

Linda sends to: Melissa, Bev and Sandra..sent
    Sharon sends to: Melissa Bev and Cindy ...sent
    Sandra sends to: Sharon, Linda, and Bev ..sent
    Melissa sends to: Linda, Cindy and Christy ..sent
    Bev sends to: Sharon, Cristy and Melissa..sent
    Cindy sends to: Christy, Sharon and Sandra
    Christy sends to: Linda, Sandra and Cindy

Looks like Christy and Cindy are the only ones left. I'll be sending out an email to see where they are on their blocks.

I"m happy you liked your block Sandra. I really enjoyed making these this month.

Any takers for next month? WE probably will only be making blocks another month because of gardening season. Then we'll switch back to charms because it's easier with all the fun gardening we'll be doing? What do you all think? Input welcome!

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I received a pretty spring block from Miss Linda today! She did contrary wife in yellows with lady bugs & dragonflies! So cute, I love it! :)
    So I've received all 3 of mine. Yay!
    Have Cindy & Christy received theirs yet? They were mailed over a week ago, so they should've gotten there by now. :(

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't heard a peep out of either one of them. I sent them an email.

I'm glad you liked your block, Melissa! I wasn't sure that color combination was going to work till I put it all together and then I really liked it!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

As you know, I am totally new at this, but I had an idea. What if we each did any 12" block that we want but the center had a spot for the creator to write a message to the recipient? It could be a plain center or an applique center. Feel free to reject idea...I always say you have to hit me over the head with a hammer to offend me. LOL

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds like a really fun idea, Bev, I like it!..does this mean that you're the hostess for next month?.."G'

• bev2009
    13 years ago

If you trust me, I'm in. LOL

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sure, I'll help you in any way that you need it...you'll be fine!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Well, if I knew how to make the print red, I would do so.
    Linda sent me an email yesterday which I didn't read until this am (more on that later) And now I am so embarassed --because I TOTALLY forgot this swap!! Seriously, I did. And have no excuses except life in general & a few other new developments.
    If you will give me a few days get the blocks out ASAP. I would do so this minute, if it weren't for the fact that I can't see too well. How long it's taking me to type this you wouldn't believe -LOL-cuz I'm constantly correcting my errors:( Last Mon I broke a contact lens in half (gas permeable kind) & I'm legally blind. Not a problem when I have lenses - kinda becomes one when I don't! I have a substitute pair until mine come in, but one of them scratched my cornea night before last, so ysterday was H---. For real! DH wanted to take me to ER, but I kept thinking it would get better by itself.
    So...frankly between that, the IRS bill, my huge birthday this past week, etc, the contact was the icing on the cake! I shouldn't mention cake - a huge bday & it was kind of a non-event for the family. Not their fault entirely. One lives out of state, one was in Puerto Rico on vacation, one was in finals week, DH worked 7 days...you get the idea. We moms tend to make the holidays all about the rest of the family anyway, right? Then when ours comes along we shouln't be too hard on them for not stepping up. If I repeat this to myself another four hundred times I'll believe it.

Sorry I rambled - & ranted! :( So please, don't kick me out of the group!! Honestly I don't think my ego could take it ight now! Give me a few days & I'll make it up to those I owe blocks to - promise!! And I won't forget a swap ever again,--- "God willing & the creek don't rise!"

Humbly,
    Cindy

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"patting Cindy on the head and giving her a cup of chamoille tea"..okay, we'll give you till next Wednesday to catch up, will that help? We've all had personal problems at one time or another that have caused delays. Everyone else okay with this decision? Also, did you receive your blocks from the swap? I'm trying to tidy up a bit...

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I'm a little confused. I think I received blocks from four people. Definitely the people I was suppose to receive from, but then another one. I'll post the pictures as soon as my daughter comes over to help me figure out why they are coming out so small - and then someone can identify the mystery one - or I'm find my notes and then I'll know. Honestly, I am getting more organized this month finally.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Gratefully accepting the tea :) You did spike it w/a little white wine, right?? :) Wed is great - thank you! Hopefully I won't need that long, but since I just got a call this afternoon that my niece, her DH, & her 3 sons 5,3 yrs & 3 mo, are arriving here tomorrow afternoon & staying a few days...
    Why do I say yes so often?? Anyone have the answer to that one, I'm all ears :) Oh, yea -- I remember why now --- so life won't be so boring! That's why! LOL

Thanks again, I won't disappoint:)

~Cindy

And yes, I did recv'd from Melissa - Box Kite in soft lime green & a pretty pastel floral, & Sharon - Depression block in blue & a pink calico (very Depression-era looking IMO). It got a little confusing w/my birthday swaps coming at the same time, but I don't think I recv'd from Christy.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

actually I spiked it with Bailey's..must be the Irish in me. I haven't heard from Christy either so I've been trying to get in contact with her. So you didn't receive a block from her as far as I know.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

That is totally ok Cindy! I will be using the blocks from this year's Seeds-N-Stitches Swap on my Grandma's garden-themed quilt-top which I will be sewing together later this summer or fall - so no rush here.

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Hi everyone hope you had a Happy Easter! I have received one block from Linda. I have not received blocks from Christy and Cindy yet.

I got to go view a large display of handmade quilts near Forest Hill, Louisiana, I think it might have been called Longleaf, Louisiana? yesterday - any way they had a beautiful display of quilts in preparation for the Heritage Festival this coming Saturday. So wish I had not forgotten my camera. Gave me lots of great ideas for future quilts. They had a beautiful pink and creme/white log cabin quilt - these were all large quilts, they had one with lighthouse blocks like 2ft x 3 ft blocks, and my favorite was one with flower baskets made of triangles and with flowers appliques coming out of the baskets - one even had a blue shrimp plant in bloom - was just too cool! And they were all local quilts. Is nice to know there are other quilters in central Louisiana. I have not met anyone in my small community who quilts. They have a quilting guild several towns away, but have not had time to go, maybe one of these days. Are any of you in quilting guilds?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Sandra, Christy & Sharon -

I put your blocks/seeds in the mail on Wed. - forgot to post that I did. Hope you enjoy the extra blocks, the least I could do for forgetting this swap !:( & making you all wait!

Thanks for not kicking me out --- (yet)

~Cindy

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thanks Cindy! You make such beautiful blocks! I will be eagerly watching the mail. Did some embroidery work on a sleeveless, vest, button-up apron for my mom for Mother's Day. I am still in the learning phases of embroidery. Now that that project is finished I am off to do some more decorative stitching quilting mom's canning jar lap quilt.

Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    YAY! You did it!...LOL!

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

By the skin of my teeth & just under the wire! too!! Cheers!!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Received 2 beautiful, gorgeous quilt blocks from Cindy today. Lots of pink and purple and yellow/orange flowers. One is called Baby's Bud, am not sure what the 2nd block is called - it looks kind of like a windmill. Thank you bunches!! These blocks are going to look so awesome on my Grandma's quilt.

Sandra

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Oh and Cindy sent me some Rose Queen Cleome seeds. LOL Was so excited about the blocks I forgot the seeds. Thank you bunches Cindy!! :-)

Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Cindy,
    I got my blocks and they are beautiful. Thank You!! Also got some Rose clome Seeds.
    Thank You
    gmom