Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabecc

update: herb-ivore swap

zabecc
15 years ago

The packages have been received and the sorting is now taking place. I will post here when they get to the post office :D

Comments (36)

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Participant List (revised):

1) zabecc
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill
    4) drippy
    5) greenthumbgrow
    6) jaynine
    7) patti1957
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy

1. clay_lady
    2. nicolita
    3. suecirish
    4. cjcjmass
    5. gardenmom2
    6. thehills2
    7. leira
    8. phantom_white
    9. highalttransplant
    10. grovespirit
  • greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

zabecc
    If you have any extra creeping thyme I will take any and all I can get as I am using it for a LOOOng walkway.

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

zabecc how is the sorting going? You doing ok?
    You pulling your hairout yet or is it going smoothly for you? You almost done, middleways, just starting what? what?

CHECK IN PLEASE INQUIRY MINDS WANT TO KNOW LOL, please don't leave us hanging.

Ok, I can wait.....

NO REALLY I CAN.........

Ummm.....ok, no, really I am waiting..........

:D Fran

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone-
    Sorry to keep you all waiting on pins and needles! I was finishing sorting the seeds Friday night when I got a surprise at my door... four family members here to celebrate my birthday! It was a great weekend!
    Needless to say, the packages did not make it to the post office on Saturday. HOWEVER, they did make it there bright and early this morning! So you should definitely all be getting them this week... and those of you in New England perhaps by tomorrow!
    Please let me know when they reach you safely :) And some of you can be expecting some small prizes that I had mentioned in the first thread :D
    (On a side note: I'm glad for all this rain over the snow... but Opening Day is rained out... boo!)

-Elizabeth

• drippy
    15 years ago

Elizabeth, thanks for hosting this! It's a lot of hard work hosting a swap, and those of us on the receiving end sure do appreciate it. Yeah, it's real soggy here; I think the Sox would need webbed feet if they were going to play tonight!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Elisabeth
    Bravo! you did it, I have not hosted a swap before, I imagine it takes a lot more organization than I have! Cant wait to see what the mailman brings! Thanks so much for hosting!

drippy! congratulations on your upcoming move (I spied in the Carolina forum that you have sold your house!

Welcome (early) to the south!

Frances

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! I'm glad to know that you were just celebrating, and not down with the flu or something! Thank you for all of your hard work.

Bonnie

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

Happy belated birthday elizabeth sure sound like you had a pretty busy weekend. Glad that you enjoyed yourself. Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to host this swap.

Cindy

• drippy
    15 years ago

Frances, thanks! If it all comes together on time, I'll be there in the middle of May.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Elizabeth, sounds like you have a wonderful bday! I hope you enjoyed yourself!
    WOOHOO the packages are on their way back, can't wait to get it! Like I REALLY need more seeds, I haven't cataloged ANY from the WOW swap yet...gosh I feel like such a slacker BUT I have been so busy planting, cleaning, and trying to do it all!
    Anyway, I can't wait to get the envy thanks for hosting this swap Elizabeth! I hope you got some things you wanted as well.

:) Fran

• leira
    15 years ago

My packet has arrived! Yay!

What an abundance of stuff in here...and I'd asked not to get much back! Wow!

Thanks so much for organizing this, Elizabeth!

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone :)

I'm glad that the packages are starting to arrive to their homes!

Hope you liked all your goodies Leira... you had such a short wish list that I was able to fill most of them for you.

I did do my best not to send tons back to the people who asked for less than they sent ;)

Drippy, you're leaving New England?!?! lol Goodluck with your move! (I'm secretly jealous of your longer growing season!)

• drippy
    15 years ago

Oooh, that smell! My package arrived today, chock full of goodies - it smelled so divine when I opened it (gotta love the smell of herbs). Thank you Elizabeth, and all the participants - I got several of my wishes!

Elizabeth, I hope you have a great year ahead - sorry I missed sending birthday wishes. Yes, I hope to be in the sunny south around this time next month - you may be envious of the longer growing season, but in July you'll be glad you live in New England! I'm looking forward to the move, though - I do heat much better than cold.

Now I'm off to catalogue (play with :) my new seeds.

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I rec'd my enve. Thank you for such a great selection. I rec'd lots of wants. There were soooo many seeds it was fantastic. I am really excited to try several new things and expand others.

Thanks again and happy belated birthday!

Nichol

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay, more packages arrived to their homes :)

In case any of you were wondering... the prize recipients were:

First Package Received: fcoffill

Best Seed Packet Packaging: suecirish & nicolita

Best Overall Organization: thehills2

Best Variety of Seeds Sent: patti1957, grovespirit, drippy & jaynine

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I received mine today too.
    I know it was hard to pick things for me because I had a none of these list, BUT I am happy with the:
    Green leafy (?) Fennel
    Bronze Fennel
    Borage 'Alba'
    English Rose Hips (WOW, I hope these grow!)
    Cardoon

The rest I have.
    I have a QUESTION...
    Someone sent in Poppies, is this BREADSEED POPPIES? It came from uptreasa
    Also, I have Rhubarb Galskin Pepetual, if you have more info on this could you share it? I can not find any info on it.
    Thanks!

Elizabeth thanks for doing an Herb swap. If you do another one I hope I have a lot more to send in next time :)!

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Hi Elizabeth, and all my fellow Herb swappers!
    My package arrived today and it was just great. Thanks for my prize!

I got some usual things that you always need, like fennel, basil, parsley and oregano. But I also got many medicinals, especially some new ones for me that I can now research on-line. But I was especially happy to get Woad which I have been wanting for a while, so thanks to the contributor.

I hope you will do this swap again, Elizabeth. I will definitely sign up!
    Sue

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

Fran, the rhubarb should have read Glaskin Perpetual. Sorry about that. It's very easy to grow. A very old variety. Also, a few plants left to seed are beautiful.
    Yes, they are a breadseed poppy. Very pretty, and a large decorative pod. I've had that variety for nearly 30 years. Be sure to chill the seed, as they self sow here in zone 4.
    The woad is pretty too. Masses of yellow.
    My package hasn't arrived yet. Thank you, everyone! Treasa

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Sigh ... no package today : (
    That's the price I pay for living in the wild, wild, West!!!

Bonnie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

LOL Bonnie, it will take a few days to get to you.

THANKS for the info Theresa! that helped lol. I found the rhubarb! hehe

I am glad these are breadseed poppies for sure! Thanks again! Now I am for sure a happy gardener! hehe

Night all,

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

My package arrived!! Thank you Elizabeth for hosting this swap, and thank you to you all for sharing your seeds with me!
    I hope the cardoons do well for you, mine are looking beautiful, I sowed them thickly in a 7"x6" pot and they will serve among other things, as edible ornamentals, tall spicky thorny silvery 5-6' mounds as barriers between my vegetables and the herd of deer that thinks I run a wild Animal Gourmet Restaurant.
    Thank goodness our resident mole only likes grubs and worms although he does take his tunneling and softening the soil too seriously, it's a good thing we 're after the natural look rather than the well manicured estate look. Whenever I'm too far from the compost pile , i usually will swipe some of his newly turned up mounds of loose dirt to complete my planting, or just plant whatever I have extra in the new mounds he makes all over the hill side.
    Chris

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Hey, wait a minute! Chris is one state further away than me, LOL! I think I need to have a talk with my post office : )

Chris, I know what you mean about the deer buffet. This winter, they walked right onto my porch and ate my sedums that were growing in pots there. I guess they looked like food bowls to them.

Bonnie

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay, I'm glad that my first swap as a hostess has gone so well... I may even consider doing this one again next year!

If I could think of something else unique to do... I may even do one sooner ;)

Which leads me to my next question... why do there seem to be less and less swaps this year than past years? (not including the special group ones anyway)

I hope your package gets there today Bonnie!

• jaynine
    15 years ago

I got my seeds--thanks so much for everything, and for the prize! I love it all!! I would definitely join this swap again next year if you decide to have it. Thanks again!

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

I recieved my package today..Thanks you so much.
    Does anyone have any bonset seed that they can share with me.

Cj

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

My package arrived today, and I'm very happy. Thank you for granting me some wishes. This swap was a lot of fun for me. Thanks again! Treasa

• nicolita
    15 years ago

My package has arrived. Thanks so much for all the goodies! Thanks to those seed baggies, I'm ready for MORE swapping Yay! :) Nicole

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Cj, I have some Boneset seeds. Sending you an email.
    Sue

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Elisabeth!

My seeds arrived yesterday. I didn't see the packet till this morning, thank you so much for the nice variety and for the lovely gift (do you make these?) how talented you are! You have been a lovely hostess, I will look forward to doing this again next year.

Frances

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

My seeds have arrived! I received several of my wants, and some things that I didn't have on the list, but have never tried, like fennel. I know fennel looks kind of similar to dill, but can someone tell me what type of dishes they use it in? As someone else mentioned, that was the best smelling envelope I have ever opened!

Thanks again, Elizabeth, for all of your hard work!

Bonnie

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Bonnie

It depends on the type of fennel that you have, all fennel has a mild licoris flavour, seeds and leaves are nice for flvouring meats and sauces, potatoes, soups. Very common in Italian dishes and fresh Italian sausages. Bronse fennel is a perennial herb (doesn't form a bulb) Regular green forms are typically grown as annual vegetable. It forms a large bulb which also has a mild licoris flvour and is good raw (in salads) or cooked.
    Frances

• patti1957
    15 years ago

Elizabeth,

I recieved my package yesterday, I love everything! I am excited to plant a lot of them this year. Thank you very much for hosting. I will be looking for this swap again next year if you decide to do it again.

Thanks,
    Patti

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I got my package and it is Great!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

Tammy

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that everyone is happy with their packages :)

I'm just waiting to hear from:

1. clay_lady
    2. thehills2
    3. grovespirit
  • grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha!

Got my seeds TY!

I am delighted with what I received. Several herbs in there that I really wanted! :)

TY so much for all your work hostessing this swap and for the lovely, thoughtful and unexpected prize you sent.

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only person I have left to hear from is clay-lady... perhaps she is on a wonderful vacation!