Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frances_coffill

new: obf - april- worship the green goddess

Frances Coffill
14 years ago

NEW OBF-April- Worship the Green Goddess!

(NOT THE SALAD DRESSING)

Gods and Goddesses of Agriculture and Gardening have existed since the first Edible plant was grown and nurtured for food! Ornamental gardens are known to have existed in Ancient Egyptian times! Today we do not put much faith in Ancient Gods and Goddesses, but we all share a love of Plants! Whether we grow for food or purely aesthetic reasons, as gardeners we share a love for Mother Nature and the beauty and sustenance she provides!

Spring is my favourite season, everywhere there are signs of Mother Nature's handywork! Each day brings life and proof of the 'devotion' we lavish upon the our own patches of the 'Mother Earth'

This month we will pay tribute to the Goddess inside ourselves, with a garden offering to our favoured "Goddess" in hopes for a bountiful beautiful growing season!

This swap will be "White Elephant" style with a twist! Instead of choosing a BOX. we will choose a GODDESS upon whom we will bestow our devotion for the coming season!

Tell us about your Goddess (why should we choose you) Have fun with this, are you the goddess of a particular plant or theme, are you kind and benevolent or threatening and dire! please feel free to choose a 'real' goddess if you like.

April 7th we will begin our Goddess selection,

ROUND ONE!

You will make your selection in the order you signed up.

It will play like this!

The first person, #1, chooses a goddess

The second person, #2, either chooses a goddess or steals # 1's goddess .

If Your goddess is stolen you get to choose again!

The third person, #3 repeats the process

The game will continue this way for 3 rounds or until all of the goddesses are chosen or locked whichever comes first!

EXCEPTIONS

You may not steal from the person who stole from you.

You may steal a stolen goddess if someone else steals it from the person who stole it from you.

Once a goddess has been stolen 3 (three) times it becomes LOCKED for the remainder of the game.

THE REST OF THE RULES

1. KISS - Keep it SPECIAL AND SIMPLE!!!! Send your Godess a "GREEN GIFT" this can be plant, or bulbs/corms/rhyzomes, but not seeds, (I think we all have plenty of seeds now) Check your OBF Questionaires and make a suitable gift for your chisen goddess!!!! Other items (optional) should be GARDEN RELATED, (plant labels, windchimes, seed starting supplies, plant food, etc)

2. Your box must be mailed out no later than April 26th to arrive before the end of the month! (I am setting a late send date to be sure even those in the most Nothern locations can send live plants if they want to)

3. Boxes must be mailed Priority with a Delivery Confirmation #.

OBF (Our Blooming Friends) is a year long Swap group, you must be a member to join this swap if you would like to join us please contact email either Shirley (brittanysgran) or Carol (veeja11).

Comments (85)

• canyonwind
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovingmy4babies......I would be happy to do a quick trade with you. I am sending you an email!

Francis, I have not forgotten about you. I will send you my "GODDESS" info, hopefully this weekend. I need to put my thinking cap on...LOL! And that little quiz told me I was Athena....what a hot gal.....exactly what my husband always tells me!

Have a great night/morning wherever you are!

Annie

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

lovingmy4babies...just sent you an email via GW. Let me know if you did not receive!

Annie

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!

Remy Welcome! Please send me your Goddess Bio/Info at your convenience!

Annie (and anyone else who has not sent me their Goddess bio) no rush! Have fun, be creative, or serious, still lots of time!

Melissa, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your little one!

Lovingmy4babies, I am sure one of these lovely Goddesses will get you on the correct path!

Update (still plenty of time to sign up) If you have signed up and not sent your "Goddess BIO/Descaription" to me, please do not forget!

We now have 9 Gorgeous Goddesses on which to lavish our devotion!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Frances

1 very deserving (but busy) Goddess sitting out:

Melissa

1 Lurking Goddess!

Hiedi

Have a terrific day everyone!

Frances

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

The quiz says I'm Athena.

Bunny, that video is hilarious. Thank you for sharing it. So funny!!!!!

I'm having trouble finding a goddess to choose.

Have a great day, everyone!

Treasa

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning Goddesses!

It is a grey and chilly morning today! Rain cannot be far off! (We really do not need more, but I will not ccomplain) Just wishing I had a huge reservoir to save all this water for July!

Treasa
    Do not feel that you have to choose or find a Goddess out of mythology! you can 'invent' a goddess who is unique to you or become the 'goddess you have always wanted to be! Just have fun with it, no stress or research required unless you really want to!

Have a terrific Sunday Everyone!

Frances

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Happy Monday all!
    Still Raining...but its way better than snow. My crocus' are a little water logged and my daff's are really starting to show. I am so anxious for the first one to actually flower.

I did something so DOPEY with my jiffies...I still feel like a dork!! I had planted about 200 japanese iris' (some were for the summer plant swap) anyway they weren't coming up so I waited and waited....NOTHING! I waited for almost 7 weeks. So last week I re-stirred up the jiffies and replanted with hollyhocks and chocolate daisies and foxglove and yucca. NOW guess what!!! I have these grass like things coming up next to the baby seedling for the other plants. I don't know quite how to separate them...has anyone else had this problem? Do you wait until they are bigger and split the jiffie pot in two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I don't have the patience for winter sowing, lol!

Talk to you soon!
    vina

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy Monday Goddesses!

April is almost here! We had tornado warnings all day yesterday and a couple of touch downs within 20 miles of here! I expected to find total ruin in the yard (It looked like a lake when I wnt to bed) but it wasn't too bad, som small sticks and branches down and some very WET seeds, but otherwise not too bad!!! My okra and squash sprouted! (there was hail about a 1/4 inch in diameter pounding the house, but the plants all look fine!

Remy I got your goddess info, Thank you!

Treasa and Annie I am still waiting on yours!

Loving all this spring rain (though I wish it would save a bit for July!!!!) I just got all my plants trained to live without water, now I will have to start over!!!

I will update the list tomorrow morning! I hope all of you Lovely Goddesses have a wonderful evening!

Frances

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody, Just had a chance to catch up on all the posts. Fun idea for the April swap, Frances. Not sure if I'll be able to join, I'll check in later. Nothing but rain here for days. DH is traveling, so I'm catching up on housework, reading, ironing and dieting!

Over half my WS containers have sprouted. Am delighted (and wondering how I'm going to plant them all!) I already have quite a few to plant that are getting pretty big in the basement. Should be a fun Spring!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

So I'm curious who has what sprouting? My office smells like a salad with tomatoes, hot peppers and herbs going strong under the florescent lights (really wish I had more than 1 set). Ive got crocuses blooming in the yard with my other spring bulbs not too far behind, and the daylilys and irises are also just starting to peek out a wee bit of greenery too... I love springtime!
    ~Laura

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!

Still a wek to sign up! If you have signed up and not sent your "Goddess BIO/Descaription" to me, please do not forget!

We have 9 Spectacular Goddesses to lavish our praises upon!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Frances

Melissa

2 Lurking Goddesses!
    Dottie
    Hiedi

Vina
    Don't know how I missed your message yesterday! I am sure we have all done that (or something similar) Am not sure what you can do about your double planted jiffies now! Separating the seedlings might be risky at this point, if it were me I would treat them like any seedlings that need to be thinned, wait until they are big enough to see which are the strongest and cull the weaklings.

Dottie
    I have been cutting the tops off of my WS containers for a few weeks now. (I use 2 liter soda and juice bottles) most of the perennial are getting too hot in there now.

I had planned to pot up the perennials in containers until next fall before planting them in the garden. But I now have a 10 x 10 bed that used to be our vegetable garden (we moved it to a sunnier spot) I think I will plant them in there. Much easier to keep watered and protect them from birds and squirrels all in one place!

Laura
    I have tomatoes, summer squash and okra, up in the last week. My annual herbs (basil and parsley)are ready to go in the herb garden. Still trying to get Dill to grow, not sure why it's taking so long! Maybe I will try a few more seeds indoors!

I hope to move the rest of my tropicals outside after Easter. We are expecting temps in the low 80's this week! I am SOOOO READY!!!! I think I am actually looking forward to SUMMER! anything is better than this constant DAMPNESS, even though it isn't cold, when it is damp I never feel warm! BRRRRR

Anyway..... didn't mean to write a novel, must get to work! Have a wonderful day everyone!

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone~
    I hope ya'll had a great weekend! It was a beautiful one here (aside from the hail/rain storm that blew through on Saturday!). Didn't get to get out much & enjoy it, though. Wish we could've.

Hubby had his physical yesterday, and they found an irregular heartbeat. He'd been feeling "flutters" in his chest for a few years now, and I've been begging him to get it checked out...but you know men. UGH It's been bad enough to get him out of breath & he feels like his heart is going to bust out of his chest.
    So the DR was a bit concerned, and he's sending him to the cardiologist later this week for some more tests. Hubby doesn't have a family history of heart disease, and no other major physical problems, so hopefully, it's just one of those non-threatening murmurs. Guess we'll find out in a few days, huh?

Sooo. Other than that, just the normal stuff around here. I haven't been able to go out in the yard, but that's OK...the doggie has taken care of most of my flower beds anyway. LOL For some reason, she's been digging around the edges of the sidewalk. I guess she hears something under there. Hmmm. Whatever the reason, though, at least I don't have to edge them this season! LOL! She's actually done quite a good job.
    I do have some daffs, forsythia & hyacinth blooming. I've seen some buds on the tulips, too, so I hope to see some of those this week. We're supposed to have high temps in the upper 70's, so it'll be gorgeous.

I hope everyone has a great week!
    Hugs to all!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Morning All!!

A wonderful week of weather planned here for GA too. Although I'm not ready for 80s. Wish we had a spring here. It goes from 50s to 80s in a blink of an eye!!

~Indoor Sproutage~
    Tomatoes (I hope tomato plants sell I have over 30!!)
    Datura
    Jalapeno
    Dahlia
    Cilantro

WS Sprouts
    MORE tomatoes!(Too many to wrap my head around!!)
    Violas
    Rudbeckia

~Direct Sown Sprouts~
    Poppies!!(1st time growing these)
    Lettuce
    Snowpeas
    and I still gotta check my radishes!
    Hoping by the weekend it drys out so I plant some red onion starts I picked up @ Home Depot.

Bunny~ hope everything turns out ok for your hubs!!

Frances~ so...when do we get to see everyone's BIOS?

I'm off to do laundry before I play in the dirt. At least I get to be outdoors for part of it.I love my clothes line!!!

later...April

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all!

Frances, Your right. Maybe I'll get half of each that way. I should have been more patient. Oh well...live and learn!

Bunny, Maybe your could send your doggie my way! I have alot of weeds coming up already!! They come up faster than any plant I can think of.

Here's my baby sprout list:

Hibiscus: Confederate Rose
    Hibiscus: Grenache
    Hibiscus: Texas Red
    Hibiscus: Pineland
    Hibiscus: Red flower no name
    Hibiscus: Pink Swirl
    Butterfly Weed: Yellow
    Butterfly Weed: Pink
    Marigold: French
    Yucca: Variegated
    Yucca: Red
    Queen of the Prairie
    Amaranth: Autumn Pallette
    Amaranthus: Love Lies Bleeding
    Clematis: Golden
    Rose of Sharon: Double White
    Rose of Sharon: Double Pink
    Rose of Sharon: Unknown Mix ???mystery :0)
    Rose of Sharon: Blue
    Zinnia: Green Envy
    Bells of Ireland
    Spileanthes: Eyeball Plant
    Bee Balm: Unknown Color ??????another mystery :0)
    Ruella: Pink
    Malva: Mystic Merlin
    Jupiter's Beard
    Daisy: Crazy
    Daisy: Chocolate
    Daisy: Gloriosa
    Violas: Pastel Mix
    Toadflax: Northern Lights
    Columbine: Old Fashioned White
    Columbine: William Guinness
    Yarrow: Summer Pastels
    Foxglove: Pink
    Mallow: Zebrina
    Hollyhock: Double White
    Hollyhock: Black
    Hollyhock: Carnival Mix
    Millet: Purple Ornamental
    Millet: Limelight
    and last but not least....
    2 Ida Red Apples````My daughter was eating this apple and we wanted to see if the seeds would sprout. And low and behold we have two trees coming up. She is so excited!

Oh! and Taylors Parsley hair for her "women" Laura sent in the last swap.

And the crazy iris' sprouting all over the place!!

I haven't started veggies yet and there are still a couple more seeds I would like to start. I just need a little more room!! :0)

Have a great day everyone!
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Can't resist jumping in here and giving the results of my winter sowing. I have a 78% success rate this year. Keep in mind that I do plant some older seeds and the majority of my seeds come from GardenWeb trades/swaps. At least 20 of these varieties were marked 2008. I think that is outstanding so you can see why I love winter sowing! The hard part now is to get them through the hot weather that will start to appear very soon. Frances, I found a way to cut the milk jugs when I first cut them that allows me to open them as needed later in the year. Then I keep them like that and can clean and store them for the next year, it makes it so much easier.
    Here's what's growing:
    Agastache 'Tutti Fruitti' *
    Agastache, white *
    Amaranthus 'Autumn Palette'
    Amaranthus - 'Hot Biscuits' *
    Amsonia tabernaemontana (Bluestar) *
    Antirrhinum Braun-Blanquette *
    Aquilegia Danish *
    Azoychka tomato *
    Balloon Flower, white double *
    Baptisia, blue *
    Blue Flax (Linum perennis) *
    Brugmansia 'Summer Sunrise' * (These were sown indoors.)
    Candytuft - 'Dwarf Fairy' mix *
    Carolina Allspice *
    Centaurean americana 'Aloha Pink' *
    Chinese Houses (Collinsia heterophylla) *
    Chocolate Centaurea *
    Chocolate Daisy - Berlandiera lyrata *
    Chocolate Drop Penstamon *
    Cleome marshallii - Dwarf *
    Columbine - double pink & white *
    Columbine 'Rose Barlow' *
    Columbine, Texas Gold *
    Columbine, burgundy red *
    Coneflower 'Magnus' *
    Cosmos 'Day Dream' *
    Cosmos 'Double Click' *
    Chrysanthemum inodorum 'Bridal Robe' *
    Daisy, Shasta 'Crazy Daisy' *
    Daylily 'Pride of Father' (Still hopeful - planted late!)
    Dianthus 'Micro Chips' *
    Dill 'Bouquet' *
    Druzba tomato *
    Echinecea 'Milkshake' *
    Eschschoiziz (CA Poppy) 'Buttermilk' *
    Euphorbia 'Summer Icicle' *
    Euphorbia, myrsinites *
    Foxglove 'Milk Chocolate' *
    Garlic - several types (at least 4, maybe more) *
    Geranium 'Bill Wallis' *
    Geranium, New Hampshire *
    German Chamomile *
    Geum 'Lady Stratheden' *
    Giraffe tomato *
    Goldenrod Laurin Dwarf *
    Gypsophelia, Early Snowball *
    Hollyhocks, dark burgundy *
    Larkspur 'Sublime Bicolor' *
    Larkspur 'The Seven Dwarfs' *
    Lettuce, Jung's Sweet Repeat Leaf Mix *
    Lettuce 'Pablo' *
    Morning Glory 'Chocolate' *
    Morning Glory 'Chocolakte Silk' *
    Nasturtium 'Alaska' *
    Nasturtium, Out of Africa *
    Nicandra, variegated (Shoofly) *
    Oregano *
    Osmidium hurridgeanum 'Phillipine' *
    Peas, Alaska *
    Pinkish Lavender Hollyhocks *
    Queen Anne's Lace *
    Roughwood Golden Tiger Tomato *
    Rudbeckia 'Cappuchino'*
    Rudbeckia, Chocolate Orange & Cappuccino mix *
    Rudbeckia 'Hot Chocolate' *
    Salvia 'Coral Nymph' *
    Silvery Fir Tree tomato *
    Snapdragon 'Black Prince' *
    Snapdragon Tetrus Giant Mix *
    Spinach Space Hybrid *
    Strawberry Foxglove (Digitalis mertonensis)*
    Sweet William - unknown *
    Swiss Chard 'Bright Lights' *
    Swiss Chard 'Pot of Gold' *
    Thyme, Orange Scented *
    Tovara Painter's Palette *
    Victorian Dwarf tomato *

I sure get excited to see so many! I need to plant peppers, summer squash, and more tomotoes and then I will wait just a few weeks before trying the more tender annuals.

Outside again... although the pollen is killing me. My nose is running, my throat is sore, and I thought I was going to lose my voice this morning. Oh, the joys of Spring!

Melissa, I hope your husband's tests turn out okay.

Jeanne

• veeja11
    14 years ago

okay bunny I told you that you needed to give mr bunny a rest from baby makin poor guy is just overworked, hope all is well prayers and happy thoughts are with you. I have a cold frame got peppers, tomatos, walla walla's kolarabi, cukes all comin up, peas are in garden as are radishes and carrots asparagus is showing its heads spring is here hugs carol

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Look at all of those SPROUTS!!!! Bravo! Jeanne, April, Dottie and Vina! You are really GREEN GODDESSES!!!!

Jeanne,
    I can't store the bottles because my house is too small for extra anything! I will take them to the recycle depot when they are finished and collect new ones next year!

This year I did not buy any containers for seed starting, I used juice and soda bottles for WSing, yogurt cups for annuals and vegies and tropicals started indoors, I used the meat trays that you get at the supermarket for drip pans and recycled Ziplock bags for humidity covers!

(now if I can find a way to reperpose coffee containers and aluminum cans)

I also compost EVERYTHING except proteins and onions (worms don't like onions I am told) I think I will soon be able to cut my landfil contribution to one container a month!!! (what a tree hugger eh!) ha ha ha!

Melissa
    I am glad you got your hubbie to the DR, I wish mine would go! I hope the tests are all good news!

April
    I am keeping the Goddess info sectret till the last possible moment! :O

Have a great evening everyone! I best get the dinner started!

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I have said for the last few years that I was going to trying WS'ing, but it always seems to be one of those things that I don't think about until it's too late. LOL
    Although, I think it'd make a GREAT homeschool project for the kids. We may have to try it this next season.
    (If I could find a place to store the containers that the dog couldn't get to...she's already eaten a chainsaw this week, along with several other tools...and they were kept in the shed, up on a shelf!! Have I ever told ya'll that she can climb trees? So shelves, apparently, aren't any different. Hmm.)

Anyway, I think the only things we'll be doing this year are sunflowers, a few herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers & peppers. Maybe some corn, if Aubeni can talk me into it (she's trying awfully hard! I think she just wants another sunflower/corn play house!).

Frances~ Hubby only went because I had told my mom what was going on (I *thought* in confidence!)...and she told HIS mom....and his mom marched over here, and asked him "Just WHY didn't you tell ME what was going on???"
    And has been hounding him for the last month to go to the DR, calling every 2 days to see if he'd gone yet! This, after I'd been telling him to go for the last 2 years!
    UGH. Men.
    Even when they're grown up, they still listen to mommy. LOL

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Bunny, best wishes to hubby. Men can be so stubborn, it's probably best that his mom found out! Mommas always know what to do. :)

I'm so jealous of all those sprouts! I can't even imagine where I could put so many pretty flowers. I tried winter sowing this year but a raccoon decided they made better toys than anything else. Luckily they all got spilled in the garden, so we'll see what comes up where.

I can't wait to see the list of goddesses!
    ~Laura

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Francis,

I just emailed you my Goddess bio. Let me know if you do not receive!

I am doing a quick trade with Lovingmy4babies. Maybe she will want to play "goddess" if we get the trade completed by the cut off date.

Thanks!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I thought I was suffering from allergies - the pollen count is really high right now - but I think I caught a bad cold. I was starting to wonder if it might be the swine flu since that is making its rounds again, but no fever or muscle aches and I was not tired so I doubt that was it. Just a non-stop runny nose, sore throat, and chest congestion. It was so bad that I only slept for about an hour last night. I think I am starting to feel better this evening... we'll see if I can sleep tonight.
    As for saving milk jugs from year to year, I put them in large trash bags in the crawl space under my house - definitely out of the way and they aren't hurting a thing under there. Wish I had thought of that much sooner. It takes a long time to accumulate 100 or so milk jugs!
    I hope everyone else is feeling okay. Don't catch what I caught! I think I'll head back to the couch and read some more of my book.
    Jeanne

• lovingmy4babies
    14 years ago

Annie,

Thanks for taking a 'risk' on me and doing the trade :) Your plants will be going out early in the morning, and hopefully they will get to you in good shape. This will only be my second time shipping plants!
    As for playing 'goddess' if we get the trade done in time, of course I want to play! lol

Deborah

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!

Happy April 1st! Any April Fools stories to share?

I spent all day outdoors yesterday, it was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for crawling around picking weeds :O
    I even remembered to wear sunscreen. I am planning more of the same today, the weather is supposed to stay pretty through Easter!

Annie
    I got your Bio and sent you a message. Thank you so much for trading with Deborah.

Deborah
    I hope you will be able to play too!

Jeanne
    I wish I had a crawl space, or a shed, or even a deck box or a large closet! Or house is small and built on a concrete slab! Storage is a real premium here! Even our attic is unfinished, just a small space big enough for a few suitcases and Christmas Decorations, if we don't need it we don't keep it! (Lucky I am not a packrat like my mom!)

We always have plenty of Juice (me) and soda (DH) bottles, I start saving them up in fall! Today I am taking 3 trash bags full of bottle tops to the Recycle Depot!

Melissa
    You are lucky that your MIL has a good influence on your hubby. I hope everything goes well with the DR!

Treasa!
    Please send me your Goddess info!

Carol, Dottie, Remy, Laura (did I miss anyone?) EVERYONE!!!
    I hope you all have a wonderful day! That the weather and life is kind to you and yours!

There are still a few days left to sign up and get your Goddess Bio/Info to me. (I can't post the Bios/Info till we are ready to begin the "Selection" process.)

BTW, I have not participated in a "White Elephant" type swap, so I hope y'all will jump in and help me if I flounder!

We have 9 Gorgeous Goddesses to lavish our devotion upon!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Frances

1 Potential Goddess in Training

Deborah

Melissa

2 Lurking Goddesses!

Dottie
    Hiedi

Have a great day!
    Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Well, I have an April Fool's story. LOL
    I started having hard contractions yesterday evening, they kept getting worse, and were REALLY close together. So I walked...and walked...and walked....And then went to bed, because I kept having them, but nothing else seemed to be happening. I thought I might as well try to sleep through them.
    Kept having them all night long, and this morning, they've tapered off to just a few an hour.
    So APRIL FOOL on me. No baby, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, I am worn out..tired...didn't get much sleep...UGH.
    I am dilated to 4cm now, so maybe it's getting closer.
    But then again, I think I'll probably go for another MONTH, just because that seems to be what I do.
    I have the gestation period of an elephant!! :P

And now, I get to go to the grocery store with all the kiddos, because we are out of bread, milk & ramen noodles (all things the kids need to make their lunch!).
    Wish me luck!
    Hopefully, I don't go into labor in the middle of the store. What a story THAT would be. AHHHH!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Morning!!!

This morning I got hubby out of bed to see a deer in the field,only there was NO deer.April's Fool!! I received a very ugly look & I think I heard curse words mumbled!! LOL!!

I haven't got the kids yet. Last year I woke them up & told them that I had overslept & the bus was going to pass them up if they didn't hurry & get outside. So they rushed out of bed ,got dressed,then went and stood @ the end of the driveway. I let them stand out there for a few mins, before I opened the door & yelled April Fool !!! ROFLMAO!!!Don't know how I'll top that this year!!!

later....April

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!

Happy Good Friday!

We are going to skip spring this year!(so sad it is my fave season!) Last week it was winter and now it is summer!!! Forcasts are for the low to mid 80s this coming week! Hope the weather is being kind to all of you! Hope you will all enjoy the Holiday weekend, find some time to 'smell the roses' etc etc

April
    that was a very nasty prank to pull on your Kiddos!!! ha ha ha! hope you were able to have a little fun with them again this year! Do they play pranks on you too?

Melissa
    Seems the new baby was playing an April Fool on Mommy! Well maybe now that the excitement is over you will enjoy a nicie Easter with your family before having anymore excitement!

Jeanne
    I hope that you are feeling better, I have been feeling a bit under the weather myself and hoping it is nothing more than worse than usual allergy symptoms! The tree and weed pollen seems to be much worse than usual this year (and earlier too)

Annie and Deborah
    I hope you have taken the holiday mail schedule into account for your swap! (It never occured to me ?!?!) If you need an extra day to get everything sorted please let me know, I would hate to have to exclude someone because of a postal holiday!

I have to run, busy day today! Laundry never ending, vacuuming and of course must spend a little time outdoors!

We have 9 Lovely Green Goddesses to make our Spring wishes come true!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Frances

Deborah

Melissa

2 Lurking Goddesses!

Dottie
    Hiedi

Have a great day Everyone!

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

April~ What an ornery trick to play on your kids! LOL! I love it! Were you able to somehow get them this year? :o)

Frances~ Mid-80's, huh? I think Jeanne mentioned that she's having the same kind of "spring". Wow, that happened QUICK this year, didn't it? I hope that's not indicative of how the summer is going to be. Yikes!

We're having a toad strangler here. It's pouring down, lightning & thunder...all this after being absolutely GORGEOUS the past few days! But that's OK. I'm taking advantage of having to be inside. I baked 2 loaves of sourdough bread this morning, and I"m working on a pineapple cream pie right now. I went through the girls' closet & clothes drawers, and washed all their winter stuff & packed it away. I also unpacked all of their spring & summer stuff and washed it, so that's ready to go. Cleaned their room from top to bottom, washed blankets & sheets.... Also got hubby's closet in order....mine's still waiting. For some reason, I can get everyone else's finished, but I HATE to go through mine!
    Yesterday, I made 2 strawberry pies & a chocolate cream pie. Took my kids to Walmart (we only go once a year or so! No kidding!), so that was a treat. Did all the grocery shopping & cleaned out the front room closets. Also planted some bulbs and did the bills for the month.
    Woo-Hoo, I'm always glad when that's done! LOL

Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, maybe I'm nesting a bit?? :O)

Anyway...off to finish that pie! I polished off the remainder of the strawberry pie this morning for breakfast, so I'm in need of some lunch. LOL!

I hope everyone has a GREAT holiday weekend! Stay safe & dry!
    Don't step on any rotten eggs! :P

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Melissa, I'm convinced you get more done in a day than I do in a month!

Gotta run but I'll be back later tonight
    ~Laura

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol
    Melissa,
    no sense in doing your closet until after the baby arrives anyway! Whoo knows what will fit and what won't (at least for a little while) Jeanne and I are practically neighbors (in the OBF universe) probably only a couple of hours drive between us. I think Shirley is about the same distance away from me as Jeanne, but it is likely a bit cooler in the mountains (I hope she and her mom are doing well) I wish we were going (to the mountains) this year, but money is tight (ho hum, lets blame it on the economy!)

I am thinking about baking a pie myself (I never touch the stuff) but it is going to be quiet this weekend and my hubs will be working hard and missing his family so he will enjoy the treat! I'll stick with strawberries and dream of peach season! (June seem so far away right now!)

Have a wonderful day, don't wear yourself out nesting!

Frances

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Hi everyone...my computer is dying so I had to crank up this lap top. I need a mouse badly..this rolling deal drives me insane.

Update on Mom....She is doing well and we hope the nursing home is temporary. They are giving her 20 days to walk and be capable of taking care of herself. She begs each time we go to get her out of there. Hopefully soon.

Frances - It is not that cool here in the mountains right now. Sheesh it was hot today. I'm with you Spring is my favorite time of year and it feels like Summer.

Please sign me up for the swap.

Shirley

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!

Shirley,
    Welcome, glad to have you with us! Please send me your "Goddess bio"

I am glad to hear that your Mother is doing well, and that there is hope that this is not going to be a permanent situation. My mother spent a year in a nursing home and although it was difficult for everyone (especially the staff :O ) it really was the best thing we could do for her after her surgery. She recovered faster and more completely than she could have without the full time profesional care.

They say we broke another weather record yesterday the temperatures hit 88F! So far we are 2 for 2 colders winter and warmest spring! I hope this doesn't mean we will also have the hottest summer!!!

Well I must run, I have another busy day today! Spring cleaning is in full swing! Have to take advantage of the balmy days to open the windows and freshen the house before summer really hits! Have a wonderful day everyone, and HAPPY EASTER, in case I don't make it back here today!

We now have 10 Glorious Goddesses to make our Spring Gardens flourish!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Shirley
    Frances

Deborah

Melissa

2 Lurking Goddesses!

Dottie
    Hiedi

Have a great day Everyone!

Frances

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Shirley, It's so good to hear that your mom is doing better and (begrudgingly!) getting the care she needs to continue to improve. 20 days isn't a bad timeline either.

Anyone have any good plans for tomorrow? If the weather holds out I'm going to garden like mad. Today's rain is making the weeds all happy, and I've already been on one dandelion hunt this spring... Gotta dig 'em up before they bloom, or else they just might take over!

I can't wait to see who everyone's goddesses are! *Whiny kid voice* Do we reeeeaally have to wait 3 more daaays?? Aw man!
    ~Laura

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all and Happy Easter!!

We had an awesome egg hunt today. 14 dozen eggs hidden and all were found. Then a great time with the family and friends. Tomorrow is Church and then to dinner again with the family. I hope tomorrow afternoon I can get outside but I might be exhausted by then!!

Laura~ I wish you were closer. I would send you John for an afternoon...he loves to pick Dandelions. Of course he rubs them all over his face and then I have to put what is left in a vase but at least they are not in my yard:o)

Shirley~ I hope your mother makes a speedy recovery

To everyone else..I hope that you are all doing well and having nice weather!!

I hope you all have a great Sunday. I can't wait to read about your goddesses!!

Heidi

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

I received my part of the trade from lovingmy4babies (Deborah) today. She did a grand job...my house plants are lovely!!!! She would be a perfect Goddess...or shall I say, she is a perfect Goddess!!!!! She is waiting on my part of the trade which I sent Tuesday.

Thank you so much Deborah and WELCOME!!!

To all, a very Happy Easter!!! I have a very special bottle of Chardonnay out for the Easter Bunny...to sip and then sip again and then sip some more. Featured candy this Easter will be Hersheys and Snickers fudge bars. I hope he or she BUNNY likes them. They always love the wine!

Plans on Easter...Late brunch with my family and then off to check out my sister and her husbands newly remodeled home. I have not seen the final, completed product...this was a major gut job!

I was munching...munching...munching like a bunny in the garden today. My snap peas are devine...so delicious. The Fava beans should be ready in the next week or so. I have been devouring butter crunch, red deer lettuce and arugula....my Mom always said I was a BUNNY because I liked salad so much! With that said, I am off to my very own salad bar!!!

Be well and be safe, wherever Easter Sunday may take you...

Annie

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

HAPPY EASTER!!!

Shirley, Glad to hear your mom is doing better...20 days really isn't that long.

And if I haven't said it already.......WELCOME DEBORAH!! :0)

Really busy today between our house, MIL's house and my parents...3 egg hunts...1 brunch...1 dinner.

Talk to you all soon!
    Can't wait to see all of the Goddesses!
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Happy Easter Ladies!!!
    Kiddos have already devoured their baskets. We are headed to a cookout/easter egg hunt later this afternoon. Have a great day!!

later....April

later...April

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Happy Easter, everyone! I hope ya'll have had a great weekend. We had our egg hunt yesterday, with over 18 dozen eggs, and only my 6 kids to hunt them! They found them all, though...and even found one from last year (eeeeewwwwww!!!!!!) LOL

Annie~ I'm sure the Easter bunny loved your treats, especially the Chardonnay! I know this bunny would've! :o) I keep telling myself that I need to buy a bottle of wine soon...I'm getting anxious to have this baby. My midwife(s) have always told me to drink a glass of wine while relaxing in a hot bath...they said it NEVER fails. I think it's more the "relaxing" part than the wine...but I'm willing to try anything at this point! LOL And I could definitely use the relaxation!

Shirley~ It's good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you lately. I hope things continue to go well for you & your mom. Keep us updated!

Hugs to everyone!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Welcome Deborah if I haven't said it already!

Hey Bunny, when are you due? Any names picked out?

Heidi, it cant be more than a days bus trip! I vote greyhound...

On related news, I spent 5 hours in the garden today planting flowers and digging up dandelions. The dandelions won the battle. I put up a rather valiant fight and took out many of their soldiers, but in the end they ate my beloved plastic hand-trowel! At least my neighbor Marion was making a quick run to Menard's anyway, so she picked up a new one for me. I didn't have the energy to keep fighting by that point so I kept Marion company while she planted seeds instead. Also, she says to tell yall "thank you" for sending me the seeds I shared with her today.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day,
    ~L

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy Easter to all Goddesses!

It sounds as though everyone had a great day! The weather was near perfect here. We spent a quiet day working in the yard, planting mowing raking, whew! It was warm, but not unpleasantly so!

Deborah and Treasa, please send me your Goddess info ASAP! The cutoff for sign ups is tomorrow! I would like to post the Goddess info and begin the selection process!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Shirley
    Deborah

Melissa

2 Lurking Goddesses!

Dottie
    Hiedi

I will write more later, have a busy morning ahead of me!

Frances

• lovingmy4babies
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Glad to be here :)

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Laura~ The baby is due on the 25th & yes, we have names picked out...but I never tell them before the baby gets here! :P I stopped telling everyone after my 2nd baby, when everyone said "You are naming him THAT??"
    I got tired of everyone (my mom, especially!!) telling me they hated the names we'd picked. Of course, that didn't stop my mom from telling me she hated the name we gave our youngest- Lilian Alaya. (we give all of our kids names that have a special meaning- Lilian means "pure beauty" & Alaya means "precious") So we've given lots of thought to the names before hand, and don't want everyone's reaction to spoil it for us....that's why we wait to tell everyone until it's too late to change it! :o)

So this baby's name has a VERY special meaning....(whether it's a boy OR a girl!)....but like I said...I'm not telling until he/she gets here! LOL!

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Gee Bunny, can't you just tell us the meaning? lol.
    Looks like you ladies are set for a fun swap. I stewed over it but just can't right now. My surgery is in two days. Yes, I'm nervous.

But we're on spring break. Too bad I'm spending it letting a very childish person (adult) get the best of me over something that is so not worth it. Any advice on how to take the high road with childish, mean people? It's such a long story that you don't want to hear it but I know this lady is not worth so much of my thoughts and it makes me mad that she's getting the best of me. It's hard to let some things go especially when it involves your children.

I believe I'm slated to host next month. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have a few ideas that I'm still getting together.

Will be keeping my eye on all the fun here.

Theresa

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Goddesses!!!!

Another beautiful summer day here in North Carolina! (we skipped spring) High 80s in the forcast for today! My TBIris are getting buds (many are already blooming in the area, but mine are right on schedule for this time of year! The spirea and lilac are blooming and the daffies are winding down! All of my veggies are up and waiting to be moved into the garden Life is good!

Has anyone heard from Treasa, we haven't heard from her since she signed up!

Theresa
    best wishes for your upcoming proceedure! I think we are all eager to learn how it goes!

I will not be participating in the swap, unfortunately we have had a bit of a setback, it is going to leave us on a very tight budget for awhile. (it could have been much worse) Maybe a long while, I hopw you will all understand, it could be some time before I am able to swap again.

But no worries, this swap is still on! I am going to e-mail Treasa and see if she is still participating. Any last minute participants will have until the end of the day to sign up and send me their goddess info!

I will post the goddess info in a new thread and get the selection process underway tomorrow!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Jeanne
    April
    Laura
    Vina
    Treasa
    Annie
    Carol
    Remy
    Shirley
    Deborah

3 very deserving but busy Goddess sitting out:

Melissa
    Frances
    Theresa

2 Lurking Goddesses!

Dottie
    Hiedi

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hmmmmm. Have you considered a voodoo doll, Theresa? LOL!
    Seriously, though, just keep reminding yourself that she's not worth it. She'll get her come-upance one of these days.
    And also, how you deal with this lady will set a big example for your children- they'll learn how THEY should deal with someone like this when they have to. Even if they don't fully realize it now, this is one of those things that will shape their future decisions & interactions with others.
    So take a deep breath, and remember that some things are worth an ulcer, some things aren't.
    I'd say, she's probably not. :)

You could always use my favorite line: "Be a duck, be a duck, be a duck".
    It always gets some strange stares from folks, but it honestly works to remind me to let things just roll off my back. And if you add the "QUACK QUACK" at the end, the laughter helps with the stress! :D

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

lol, Bunny. You are completely right. Spoken like a very experienced mother. My own mother (of four) said something similar to me..."The lesson here for the kids is worth more than the issue itself". Thanks so much!

Yep, tomorrow is the big day. I'm heading out to get a little gardening done. The weather has been gorgeous but I haven't been out there. We did make it to the beach yesterday though....it was simply beautiful!

Can't wait to see all this fun get started!

Theresa

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Oh! Theresa! We have ALL come across those kind of people. I try to remember KARMA. What you send out comes back to you 3 fold. So if she is sending out yuckiness...she will be getting it back...whether you see it or not.

It's like when I ask my kids not to run, they do it anyway and then fall...INSTANT KARMA!! :D

Frances, hope everything is okay!

Talk to you all later...SO excited about the big Goddess reveal!! :0)
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Just popping in to say hello. I have been sick since early last week so not a lot going on. I try to get out to water my plants every day - especially the winter sowing ones - because it is way too hot and sunny. It went up to 94 degrees here yesterday, hotest spot in the country! Also, tons of pollen out right now - when a breeze blows, it looks like a dust storm. So, any of you who have SPRING, enjoy it for me!
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Annie-So jealous of your garden salad fixings. I can't wait until tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce are ready in my garden. Eddie is going to plant the lettuce and onions tomorrow.

Jeanne-Hope you are soon feeling better. The weather here is really nice and is supposed to cool down somewhat by the week-end.

Theresa-Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and please let us know how things went ASAP. Sorry someone is being mean about a foolish situation. I agree with Ms. Bunny get a voodoo doll.

Melissa-Can't wait until we hear the news the baby is here.

Frances-I want to see iris pictures when you get the first blooms. Our local garden club members will be coming here this year on an iris tour. I hope they bloom well and nothing goes wrong before the big day. I have sooo much to do before the visit.

We brought Mom to my house for Easter and then took her back to the nursing home. I thought we would have a big fight to get her to go back but she was good about it. She is counting the days until she is able to come home.

Shirley

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

Wow! I picked a goddess yesterday, and something really coincidental happened regarding my goddess. Sorry, I can't tell you about it. Might give it away. Nevertheless, it was really wierd!

Have a great day, everyone!!
    Treasa

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to start the "Swap" thresd in a few minutes!

Will catch up then!

• Frances Coffill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning GODDESSES!!!! The new thread has been started! As soon as Jeanne shows up the Game will be underway! Stop by today and see all of the Goddess bios!

BTW if someone has the OBF Questionair please send it to Deborah/lovingmy4babies

Gotta run.....

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus