Houzz Logo Print
lilangel181

update: mnf ~ spring fling #2

lilangel181
14 years ago

~Reminders~

*Please send by March 16th

*Spring becomes official March 20th

*Bingo numbers called on the previous thread: N-45, I-28, O-63, O-66, N-36, I-26, G-51, G-46, B-13, O-75, G-49, B-4, O-64, O-67, I-17, N-34, I-22, G-58, B-5, N-37, O-61

~Swappers~

Me (LiLangeL181)

Linda (LindaRuzicka)

Melissa (HazelnutBunny)

Ellie (FarmerGirl2009)

Darrin (Cryptid)

Carol (Veeja11)

Deb (Debbya)

Comments (82)

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My box is going out tomorrow. I'll post the DC number after I return home from the Post Office. ;)

Deb

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

it's been absolutely BEAUTIFUL here the past couple of days. I did some yardwork yesterday and swept off my porch. I"m very late with my WSing this year because I couldn't even get to where I put them out with all the snow. I"m going to do some jugs this week so I'll be ready for planting season.

I also picked up my new glasses yesterday, bought 2 pairs of shoes, a blouse and a new purse. THEN my daughter came over and we went for a walk. What a pleasant day!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

We've been inside all week, since the temps turned to the 30's & 40's after last week in the 60's & 70's. Which REALLY played havoc with the arthritis in my hip, lemme tell ya. OW.
    (and LAVENDER OIL works wonders on that, BTW!! feeling MUCH better today!)
    It's raining today, but the temps are *supposed* to get back into the 60's by Friday. Yay!! Just in time for Spring on Saturday, when the temps are going to dip below freezing AGAIN.
    We've got forsythia, daffs, hyacinth & crocus blooming...some of the poor daffs have gotten so discouraged, their little buds are drooping. Still blooming, though. What little troopers. :o)

Anyway....we'll be having our Easter get-together with my parents in a week, so I hope the temps even out by then. The last few years, the kids have had to hunt eggs in mud, sleet & freezing rain. Just once, I'd like them to have a warm, DRY egg hunt! LOL!

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Went to the donut shop today (doctor told me not to after heart surgery) but i found those donuts was GREEN. Tasted great with a cup of coffee. They put green food coloring in the dough for St Pat's day. And when I want to go egg hunting, I just go to the super market and find them, since I don't have any kids or grand kids( need some rug-rats ) in my life

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

LOL@Mikey!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

*giggle*
    *snort*
    *ROFL*
    Ok, I was re-reading some posts, got to Linda's post...and could've SWORN she'd written "I"m going to do some JIGScolor> this week so I'll be ready for planting season."

*wiping tears from eyes*

Whoooo-boy. What a vision I have in my head!
    *giggle*

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Bunny..that lack of caffine is getting to you.."G"

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

I want to fix me a triple expresso, durn doc says NO MIKE too much caff. need to drink the no caff. coffee and tea. I guess that is what I get for having to have a aoreta vavle replace and a by-pass 1/6/09

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"making note that if I get MIkey in exchange to send herbal teas"...

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

AWW Thanks Linda. I love herbal tea but still drink caff. coffee and drink tea with caff in it too. But not my starbucks triple expresso. Oh how I loved VERY STRONG coffee. Even when I went camping I made it STRONG AND DRINK it black with no additives//
    Is there any men that trade in here other than danthemailman?
    OH how I love to be surrounded with ALL these women, and don't even know you all!!! WHAT A LIFE!!!!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is Darrin (Cryptid) but other than that I think yall are the only guys in the group. Feel free to recruit! *grins*
    ~L

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

okay, I thought I'd stop by and share my "Spring Scorecard" with y'all. this is what I found while waiting for the burgers and dogs to cook on the grill today...
    blooming crocuses
    budding dianthus (?????)
    grown irises (some are 8-10 inches high already!!! ???)
    sprouting daffs, tulips, alliums, and all the other bulbs I planted and forgot about last fall

Ma Nature is growing everything all at once hereabouts, and my yard is going to be looking like a seed catalog cover soon if this keeps up!!!
    hoo-ray for all the cosmic weirdness shining down in my area!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Ooooh....! Burgers!!! And grilled!! Yummmmmmmmyyyy!!!!

Nothing says spring like walking through a yard full of blooms & buds while munching on a piping hot, fresh off the grill burger!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Dan, great to see you! That sounds like quite the beautiful yard you've got going there. Yummy too!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I received my totally AWESOME box from Darrin today! I'll post the contents after I come back from my Red Hat outing. I just wanted him to know that it arrived safely and intact..."still shaking head over contents"....

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, Linda's a red-hatter! Golly, I wish I'd known that sooner!!!
    So much fun I could've had with that...... :D

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, I almost forgot to post your DC#, with this being an otherwise secret swap! Its 9405 5036 9930 0172 9212 25. This afternoon they're opening a home and garden show at the school's agriculture pavilion (aka up the street) and its just too nice a day not to go!
    ~L

• veeja11
    14 years ago

I received a wonderful box from Linda today, but boy does that girl wrap and tape, I have new muscles from gettin into my goodies box included
    2 garden shelf knick knacks
    windchimes
    ceramic cup flower pot
    3 small flower pots
    forget me not planter
    nasturtium and tomato seeds
    really cute homemade seed pkts
    star flower and peacock orchid bulbs
    spring note cards
    a book called the way we garden
    snail plant stake
    homemade pouch with a mixture of teas and candy eggs
    hope I didn't miss anything
    thankyou Linda, I love it all

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Carol, I'm glad you liked everything! Yeah, I do overtape but I hate having things broken.."L"

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

okay..everyone grab a cookie, a cup of tea/coffee and gather around..this man can stuff a box!
    here we go:
    ladybug kneeler (I needed one of these), 2 big chocolate candy bars, cross stitch kit of butterflies (pretty), a crocheted butterfly pin (I crochet, I KNOW how much work goes into something like this), oriental fan, note cards, note pad/pen, tree sparrow statue, whirly bird, hanging sun, raspberry blistex, flowered post it notes, seed envies, daisy lollipops, pens and marking pens, 2 pairs gardening gloves (frogs and butterflies), olive oil lamp, ladybug windsock (putting this over my veggie garden), houseplant snips, indoor houseplant gardening set, Bulbs (rain lilies, sparaxis, brodiaea),versitial screwdriver, bright colored beetle on a stick (cool) 2 key lights (handy),
    plastic container with assorted insects (lady bugs have goggly eyes) seeds (pencil pod wax beans, 2 packs sunflowers, THREE different types of radishes, africian daisy, cleome, bright light mix cosmos, marigold, helichrysun, brandywine tomoto)
    There was also a lovely handmade card with a funny note.

I honestly hope I didn't forget anything. Darrin, that was a wonderful box..you and Elly, you guys ROCK!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Wooo! Great box, Linda! And you too, Carol! EVERYONE is getting such great boxes! I *almost* think it's more fun to see what everyone ELSE has received than getting a box myself!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hooraay! I love to see the boxes flying, and such great goodies, too!

So I had a great time at the home and garden expo yesterday. I wish there had been more garden and less home, but oh well! I think I was the only person old enough to not be tethered to mommy, and young enough to not be retired. (Although what did I expect for a Thursday afternoon?) Well on to the highlights... Apparently I was one of the first 200 people, because the first 200 got a free little basil plant (yummy)! The Lansing Board of Water and Light was giving away white pine seedlings, mini nightlights and CFL light bulbs. I'm glad they're doing something good with all the money I pay each month. And best of all... A sandwich bag full of worm poop!! That's right ladies and gents, a local company was preaching the virtues of castings and I snagged the ultimate gardener's freebie! *dances* On the way out I also bought the kitties a catnip plant, which strangely enough they aren't touching. I had expected them to shred it to death by now, but secretly I'm glad they haven't.

I'm off to plant things, and I can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing, boxes, etc.
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Yay for worm poop!! LOL! Great stuff, isn't it?? :D

And I GOT A BOX!!! Whoooo-hooooo!!!!
    It's from the wonderful Ms Carol! One of my favorite people to get a box from! :O)
    She sent:

~A floral tote bag (I love using these!)
    ~Iron-on doggie appliques (girls want these!)
    ~An Elmo bath toy for Lili (she LOVES Elmo!)
    ~Sew on butterfly gems
    ~Mini fm radio (clips onto your belt, so you can garden & listen to music! cool!!)
    ~Red currant vanilla bath set
    ~Reese's peanut butter egg & stuffed kitty (hiding this from the kiddos...it's all MINE!)
    ~Oriental lily bulbs
    ~Seeds!
    ~Fashion bug makeup palette (girls have taken off with this...need to track them down before they decorate themselves!!)
    ~Humming bird feeder & nectar
    ~Lots of chocolate easter candies!

Thank you so much, Carol! I love everything! (HUGS)
    If I forgot anything, I'm sorry...I had a "helper" who was more eager than I was, I think! :o)

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great box! I got one today, too! Mike sent me a wonderfully thoughtful box with a loaf of yummy smelling homemade bread and a large clump of bulbs (daffodils or tulips I think?) from his yard. It was all wrapped up in Easter grass and in a very nice wooden basket. The bulbs were so tall I think they want to bloom already, so I went ahead and planted them in front of the door. Sending you a *hug* through the internet! Thank you,
    ~Laura

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Hi,
    My box did go out today, sorry for the delay. My car was broken into in my driveway! We have a video survaliance system (night vision cameras hidden on our home) so were able to watch to see who did it. It's awful to see someone else in your car trashing it! I spent an entire day cleaning my car, and purchased some new floor mats, purse to make myself feel better. ;)
    Last year we had a civic taken from our driveway while we were sleeping! At that time we didn't have the camera/survaliance system. We did end up getting the civic back as an empty shell . Yes, empty- they took the seats, engine, visors, mirrors, door panels- everything! The person even cut himself while doing so, we had blood on the car. The police came out took some samples, but no one was ever charged. Obviously, the person that took the car had no record, so his blood couldn't be traced to a name. We live in a really nice neighborhood right near a police station! Anyway, I apologize- and will post more later. I received a wonderful box from Laura, and I need a little more time to post what I received! Be back tonight!

Delivery confirmation # 0306 1070 0001 7512 1583.

Deb

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Laura, that little basket was made in my workshop here at home. That is the kind of projects I like to do. The loaf of bread was made from scratch so it was homemade also. Those flowers was daffs. and I forgot to put in that basket my little easter bunny with some easter eggs. Matter if fact the little heart was made here too and painted by hand. Hope you and Duncan will heat the bread and add loads of butter and enjoy my handiwork. Glad they arrive in good shape and you are pleased with them, since this is my first time around

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deb, glad to hear you guys are ok and they just went for the car. I hope you like the goodies I sent, too.

Mike, that bread is so good, I've almost finished half the loaf myself! You made the basket? I'm impressed! Its the perfect size to keep some of my gardening stuff inside on the shelf out of the way, and don't worry about the easter bunny. :)
    ~Laura

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy First Day Of Spring!!! (It's snowing)

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

We've got freezing rain! Yay for spring!!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

its' sunny here..."ducking"

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*Chucks a snowball at Linda* Always happy to share! :-D

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

*flinging sleet pebbles*
    Yep, I LOVE sharing!! :O)

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

I was going to do some yardwork and start sowing some flower seeds today, but mother nature and father time is messing with me with this snow job they are trying to give me. SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW!!! Fixin me a cup of hot chocolate and curling up to a good book. Later on will be making some cookies, like chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and possible peanut-butter. Can't work out side, i'll just smell the house up with COOKIES. Sign "THE COOKIE MONSTER" YUM YUM YUM!!!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"whistling and looking up at the ceiling"....wellll....I laid in my hammock today and watched the fluffy white clouds go sailing by while the dogs played in the yard. Now you really can't begrudge me a little spring weather, we had 2 feet of snow in February!

• cryptid
    14 years ago

Ellie....seriously, I totally beg your forgiveness for being so complete an insensitive jerk as to have not properly posted when I received your wonderful box of goodies! I actually received it last Monday, but,...no excuses. I royally screwed up, and if anyone else here (justifiably) wants to kick my rear, you'll have to line up behind my wife.

Now...ahem...for the acknowledgement Ellie (farmergirl2009) so truly, albeit belatedly, deserves.

Goodies galore!

-Jasmine Reed Difuser: "Mmmmmmmm,...niiiiice!" Been enjoying this since the day your box arrived (ie, for nearly a week, now). It's like incense, but no smoke or glowing embers,...or, rather, like a scented candle, but no flame, and the wonderful scent just goes on and on...! Elly and I both love Jasmine, but I especially enjoy Jasmine tea when I can get it! Best I ever had was in the Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, 20 years ago.

-Pair of leather gloves: Yes! "Guy" gloves,...leather, no flowers! LOL! Perfect for establishing floral and herbal yard islands, and planting-out Raspberries.

-Dream Legacy Daylily (2 plants): Totally waaayyy rippin' kewl!! These shall definitely recieve extra special treatment and care!

-Nuts About Work "wobbly-bobbly" figurine: LOL! That's us, in a nutshell!

-Rock candle: Rocks burn? Well,...wax ones do! Gotta say, generally speaking, Elly & I are big fans of light rock.

-Big bag of peppermint candy: I would say "Yummm!", but since these are sugarfied and I am diabetic,...well, you get the picture. No complaints, though! In fact, exactly the opposite, since Elly totally deserves every treat that comes her way, and her 89 year old father loves peppermint candy above all. Your candies, therefore, will be happily shared and thoroughly enjoyed!

-Brown, ceramic boot planter: With holes for laces, yet! Totally kewl, girl!! Hmmm,...Lobelia and alyssum, with, maybe, Marigolds, on the front porch rail.

-Seeds-

-Amaryllis - St. Joseph (red and white): Never started these from seed before. An adventure awaits!
    -Bushel Gourd for birdhouses - vining: Have Dipper Gourds, now these. Fabuloso!
    -Lemon Basil: Any Basil, any time! Yeah, baby!
    -Purple Pea Vine: Oughta look real purdy intertwined throughout our poorly flowering Forsythia.
    -Cilantro: Saaaaaalsa!!!
    -Spinach Mustard Greens: Salad fixin's always rock!
    -Marigold: Perennial (annual) fave! Always welcome!
    -Malva Mix- Pink: Yes! We already have Zebrina!
    -Mixed Pinks: Love `em!
    -Red Canna Lily: Love lilies, lilies, lilies...!
    -Sweet Pea - Spencer Supreme: Another fab viner/intertwiner! Hello Forsythia!
    -Nasturtium - Parks Fragrant Giants: Ooooo,...a vining variety,...with edible peppery tasting blooms and foliage. Major thanks!!
    -Sunflower - Giant Gray Stripe: An extremely popular variety, and rightly so!

Elie, thank you so very much, for everything!! This, not only from me, but Elly as well!! :)

Again, profuse apologies for my being such a stupid lunkhead! :(

- Cryptid

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

HEY HEY HEY IT IS CHRISTMAS IN MARCH!!!!!!!!! I got such an awesome and wonderful package from lilangel181 Laura, I must say that it was like having Christmas in March, with the snow coming down, the wind whipping it all around, temperature in the low 30's, sitting in my recliner with a hot cup of chocolate reading a good book and thinking of baking those cookies. Open my FIRST ever package from a Round Robin Exchange and what do you think I got??> Well...........

several ringpops-----
    Jar of homemade "spicy sweet brw sugar" dry rub
    booklet from ferry-morse garden helper--will put that to use very quickly. a lot of helpful hints on growing, about seed starting, vegetables and flowers.
    seeds:
    purple top white globe turnips---love turnip greens and the the turnip it self
    little marvel peas
    red chile
    lemon balm
    black pearl hot pepper
    clemson spineless okra
    field/jack pumpkin
    lavender
    thyme
    oregano
    garden marker---to weed or not to weed
    magnetic note pad--contains 50 lined sheets
    bag of little packages to mail future seed trades in
    open pit BBQ sauce--must know how much I love to cook outside on the grill
    package of glad bulbs--now if i can keep the squirrels away from them
    all season suet for birds--my little birds are already enjoying it
    note pad
    set of 4 beautiful flowered foam back coasters
    pair of gloves for working in the garden
    a package of blueberry caffeine free tea--- a card and some carmel candy
    bar of scented soap
    container of sugar plum scented body butter
    WOW, didn't know so much could be pack in such a small box. Being this was my first MNF I am very much impressed at what everyone is getting and the wide selection of gifts everyone is sending. Let's me know what an impressive friendship that still can be found. HEY THERE Cryptid, senior moments happens to all, just kidding.. HA HA *O-). Atleast you posted. That's more than what goes around in my neighborhood

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Okay. 70 degrees on Friday, sleet on Saturday morning, followed by the prettiest & HEAVIEST snow we've had this year. We got 18", and it's still snowing. Actually, sleeting right now, but it keeps going back & forth.

The kids & the dog are loving it. Although, we nearly lost Adora in it- it is up to her waist, and Maggie (the dog) pushed her down in it....we had to dig her out. LOL

It'll be melting off tomorrow & leaving us some nice, thick mud. Yay for Spring! :P

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa, that is the craziest thing I've seen! Mike, I'm so glad you liked your box! Back from work, changed out of my fancy-pants, and now time for dinner. Hi and bye everyone!
    ~Laura

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh! Can't believe the winter weather being reported yet. Last year we had 97.5 inches and this year I bet we didn't get 10 inches all winter. What a wonderful winter, but the cold sure didn't do good to some of my plants. The frost heaved lots out and they are not looking so good. Been working in the greenhouse and chicken house. Have a total of 50 baby chickens now. Keeps me busy and off the streets. LOL
    Guess I better get back to getting something done since monday it's back to work. Have a great Sunday everyone!
    Ellie

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How is it going?

Ellie, 50 chicks?? That sounds so adorable! Do you have pictures? Does the peep-peeping haunt your dreams? (Says the city-girl. *grins*)

Deb, did your box arrive alright? I wanted to make sure the breakables and things didn't bite the dust in transit.

Where is everyone else? It seems quiet... too quiet.
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I was enjoying the weather today and running around doing errands..."sitting down with a cup of tea"..anyone else want any?..."setting out cups"

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in posting. I've had so much going on over the weekend, plus we lost our internet. We had a mini explosion outside, a powerline blew. The man from the electric company said a squirrel ate the line? I blame the ice/snow storm! We had the heaviest snow of the season!

Anyways, I better make this short- I have to make lunches for the kids yet.

Laura sent a wonderful box- nothing was broken, everything was packed very well!

A cute handpainted pot (with google type glued eyes) and big painted lips, it contained a hindu rope hoya!

Plus a very pretty clear vase with handpained flowers (I'm already using it to root some wandering jew starts)

Vanilla/reed oil diffuser (smells so good)

Journal (to make all my trade notes in- needed a new one so bad)

baggy of seeds (have to go through them)

mini hummer feeder/shepards hook to hang it on (hummers thank you Laura, LOL)

Herbal soap (that smells soooo good)

Gardening gloves (always need these)

Package of blueberry herbal tea (yum)

Country garden mag (after the weekend I had, I'm relaxing and reading this tonight)

Thank you so much Laura, for such a fantastic box! I loved everything you sent! I hope I didn't forget anything!
    Things have to slow down for me soon! This weekend we purchased new 6 panel white doors for EVERY door in the house, plus new closet doors to match!

Hopefully my package arrived today! ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

such great boxes!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad you like everything and it all made it in one piece. I was a little worried about the vase.

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Just checking in.. My package arrived yesterday, but was sent back to the Post office- and was redelivered today. ;)

I hope everything traveled well. :)

Deb

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

I received my box today from Deb. (Jumping up and down) Wow and what a box. The box was packed with plants: Hens & Chick, Spider plant, Gladiolus bulbs,Lg. cupped narcissus,rooted wandering jew, Orange asiatic lilies, yellow jonquils, gardening gloves with cute frogs, wind chimes, african violet, Hoya, and seeds (Stella de Oro day lily, Butterfly mix, lilies,lavender and Nigella) Whew! Thank you so very much Deb. Off to planting. Have a great evening everyone.

Ellie

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooo, thats quite the bonanza, Ellie!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think everyone has received their box... yes? I know the MNF April swap has already been posted so if everyone has their goodies then I'll declare this swap officially over! *Bangs a gavel*
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

OUCH! that was my finger!!...

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Ladies, it has been fun to scroll down and read what everybody received this first one of mine MNF exchange and what a ride it has been and very enjoyable. It also has been a learning experience and open up my mind as to all the different gifts to send and the different ideas that was present. Just hoping and praying that MY next time will be different and I know that it will. Just to find out and learn what a bunch of very nice folks is on here makes it all worth while. AGAIN THANKS A MILLON FOLKS.. Mike