Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: Incredible Heirlooms: April's Splendid Salads Swap

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Welcome to the Incredible Heirlooms: Splendid Salads Swap for April!

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to eat my first fresh salad of the season from my garden!!! This swap will focus on ANYTHING that you would put in a salad, even edible flowers. Some folks just think of lettuce and tomatoes when they think of salad, but I'm more of a "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of salad person, LOL.

Just for fun, I tried to see how many different salads I could name off the top of my head. Here goes:

Ceasar Salad

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Pasta Salad

Chef's Salad

Three Bean Salad

Roquefort Pear Salad

24 hr. Layered Salad

Carrot Raisin Salad

Taco Salad

Waldorf Salad

Greek Salad

Chicken Salad

I'm sure you guys have some that I've forgotten, but just think of all of the yummy possibilities!!!

RULES OF THE SWAP:

You are required to send at least 6 packets of seeds. (You may send opened packets but they must be equal to 6 full packets of seeds. You can also decide with your partner if you'd like to send more.)

Please include a salad related EXTRA, (this could be things like salad bowls, vinaigrette bottles, or salad tongs) and a recipe for a salad and/or salad dressing.

Partners will be assigned on March 21st.

Deadline to send your package to your partner: April 6th

If you have any questions about this swap or it's specifics please either post here, or email me and I will respond ASAP.

Happy (almost) Spring!!!

Bonnie

Comments (46)

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

yes, I would like to be in this april Swap.

Cindy

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha folks! I'd really like to join...

However, due to high shipping costs and an itty bitty living space, I prefer to not to trade a "salad related extra."

Could I, perhaps, be partnered with someone who *also* doesn't want to include or receive "salad-related extras," and instead prefers to just trade the seeds and recipes.

If someone else shows up who is of a like mind with me on this, Please let me know. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Cindy!

Grovespirit, I'd love to have you join, so if no one else signs up that is of a like mind with you, than I'll partner with you, okay?

Bonnie

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Excellent Bonnie, very kind of you to offer to accommodate me!
    I'd be thrilled to partner with you if it becomes necessary!

Consider me joined. :D

Let's see who else joins- there might be someone else here who wants to do my suggested 'lite' version of this swap. :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Count me in!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Becky! So glad you are joining this one!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Count me in too! :) Can't wait to start gathering goodies!!! :D

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Kathy!

Here is who we have so far:

Cjcjmass/Cindy
    Grovespirit
    Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Who else is craving some salad?

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LOL I just realized we've gone animated!!! hehe Good find Bonnie! :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, since no one has added to my salad list, I thought I would list everything that I can think of that would be grown in your gardens, that could be used in a salad. If I'm forgetting one of your favorites, be sure to add to the list ... and sign up will you're at it : )

Lettuce (of course)
    Spinach
    Chard
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Carrots
    Radishes
    Peas
    Parsley
    Basil
    Cilantro
    Chives
    Onions
    Peppers

Hmmmm ... what am I forgetting??? Help me out here!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I like unusual salads! How about:

Artichokes
    Basil
    Black Beans
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Corn
    Dill
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Horseradish
    Kohlrabi
    Melons
    Oregano
    Wax Beans
    Zucchini

Anything else?

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Please count me in!
    I love spinach salad with warm bacon dressing, corn salad, Asain salad, cucumber salad, bok choy salad.
    I love to add these also
    sunflower seeds
    sesame seeds
    endive
    This sounds like so much fun! And it is making me hungry!
    Sharon

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Don't forget these :D

Grapes
    Strawberries
    Cranberries
    Blueberries
    Apples
    Peaches

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, ya'll (or y'all) are good, LOL! Sharon, I had forgotten about toppings, and Kathy I love fruit salads. As a matter of fact, I'm making one tomorrow for a ladies group I am part of. Maybe I'll share the recipe with my partner : ) I'm kind of funny about mixing fruits and traditional salads though, like I don't like grapes in my chicken salad, or celery in my fruit salad. I guess I'm a purist. I like my sweets to be sweet, and savory stuff savory.

Well, we're off to a good start. Here's who's in:

Cjcjmass/Cindy
    Grovespirit
    Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Scottrell/Sharon
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

There's plenty of room for more though!

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

After reading the most recent Incredible Heirlooms newsletter, I am not sure whether or not I am still welcome to remain in this swap.

I have privately emailed the group leaders about my concerns. I hope the group leaders and I can work all this out. :)

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

The reason I'm not sure I can still participate is that I am not sure if I can do so, without sending the "salad related extra" or not...

Bonnie told me here that it would be OK with her if I didn't send an "extra", and I do believe she meant it.

But now, the newsletter seems to say that I MUST send an "extra"...despite Bonnie's earlier assurance to me. :/

This has me pretty confused, to say the least.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Some more things that are good in salads:
    Mandarin Oranges
    Ground Cherry (Cape Gooseberry)
    Wonderberry/Sunberry
    Elderberry
    Mulberry

Arugula
    Burdock root (Gobo)
    Capers
    Mustard Greens (especially all the different Asian ones like mizuna, tatsoi, choy sum, komatsuna, etc.)
    Collard Greens
    Kale (various)
    Dandelion (especially when young and tender)
    Catalogna
    Chicory (young leaves)
    Purslane
    Malabar spinach
    Okra (best if pickled first).
    Orach
    Amaranth
    Sprouts (various- one of my faves is fenugreek sprouts)
    Mache (corn salad)
    Asparagus
    Snow or Snap Pea
    Asparagus Pea, aka Winged Bean
    Broccolini aka Rapini
    Mustard seeds (sprinkled on, or used in dressing)
    Poppy seeds (dressing)
    Tree Nuts (various, for toppings)
    Peanuts (for Thai peanut dressing, or sprinkled on Asian salads)
    Mint, Lovage, Tarragon, Thyme, Chervil: for making dressings, or just mix a few sprigs into the salad.
    Salad Burnet
    Edible flowers (various, but nasturtiums, chive flowers and pansies are my favorites!)
    Elephant Garlic, Society Garlic: great for dressings
    Scallions/Welsh onions- white or red!
    Shallots
    Sorrel
    Sunchoke (Jerusalem Artichoke)
    Chick Pea, Garbanzo Bean
    Beets (sprouts, greens, and roots!)
    Lamb's Quarters, Goosefoot-Chenopodium album
    Persian (curly) cress
    Watercress
    Walking onion/Egyptian onion

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha Bonnie, I have sent you several emails recently which need your feedback. No replies yet...Are you OK?

Maybe I don't have the right email address for you? I can't post your email address here for confirmation, so please send me your latest email addy privately if you can. I'd like to be sure my emails are reaching you.

Oh yes, and also you might want to make sure my emails aren't getting lost due to spam filtering. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Grovespirit! Not ingoring you, I have just been away from the computer today, preparing refreshments for and attending a women's group that I belong to, so haven't had a chance to check my email until just now.

I am new to hosting swaps, and I apologize for any confusion I caused by bending the rules of the swap. As a host, I want everyone to feel welcome, and I was sincere in my offer, but since this swap is put on by the Incredibles group, I have to abide by the rules of the group. Again I apologize for being unfamiliar with the rules ahead of time, and for any problems this has caused.

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I am sorry for any confusion this may have caused for the group or anyone who is lurking deciding whether or not to join this swap. :)Including Bonnie, she is doing the group a BIG favor by volunteering to host for us. Bonnie, no need to apologize you have done nothing wrong. :)

There are rules of the swap are posted in the very first post of each sign up thread, please read those carefully before deciding to join a swap. Each swap is different with a different set of rules that are set by the host each month, those must be followed along with the Original group Guidelines to be able to participate. :) Some swaps require a specific type of extra to be sent, some swaps "encourage" extras to be sent and others require so little as a recipe to be sent.

Becky/Booberry85 has the Incredible Edibles April Swap also posted for sign ups, if you are interested in swapping Seeds with an accompanying recipe, the link is below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Incredible Edibles Homegrown Recipes

• patti1957
    15 years ago

Where are the original group guidelines posted?

Patti

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Hi Patti,

I am going to send out an email with the group guidelines to everyone in just a bit so I can be sure all the new participants are familiar with them. :) The link below shows the very first post where the originator of the group started these rules. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Group Guidelines from the beginning. :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hey, the group is a year old! Happy anniversary everybody!

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

Can I sign up on this, I am new to GW bt wold love this if it is ok.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Prayerrock, I love your GW name! Newbies are always welcome. Please read the rules of the swap at the top of the page, and feel free to post any questions here, or if you are uncomfortable with that, just email me any questions through my GW Member Page. Glad to have you with us!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Happy 1 year birthday!!! YAY!!! So cool.

You know, there are so many different types of salads! And they all sound so yummy! I can't wait to see what everyone shares for those and dressings. Yummmmm! I'm getting hungry thinking about all the yummy stuff you can put in them.

My favorite salad:
    Baby Spinach and other mixed greens
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Raisins
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Croutons
    For dressing Strawberry Vinaigrette
    With a side of Macaroni Salad

Ahhh! Absolutely divine!!! And cures my sweet tooth. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm ... well, if you left off the raisins, and the Strawberry Vinaigrette, added some carrots, peas, and maybe some pinenuts, or sunflowers seeds, and used an Italian dressing (or Ranch for the kids) ... oh, and threw in some crumbled bacon for the DH, then you would have a typical summer salad for our family.

I'm trying to expand our salad fixin's this year. I'm wintersowing some radishes, beets, and chard. Also, planning to grow some different kinds of cucumbers this year, like lemon, and a white one, and my tomato, and pepper selection has pretty much ALL of the colors included, so there should be plenty of variety to keep it interesting.

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I had to have my DH bring me a huge salad for lunch. LOL It hit the spot especially after hearing everyones ideas of perfect salads. :)

Bonnie, that sounds great too! I love salad, I would love to grow my own greens but I just can't get it right yet. I think I need to start them in the fall to get them to survive for me. I just planted some of those Lemon Cucumbers too, I couldn't pass them up they look so neat. They will be a conversation piece no doubt! :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Friday!

There is one week left for sign ups on this swap, so lurkers, you still have time to join in the fun.

This is an updated list of who's for sure participating:

Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Scottrell/Sharon
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Kathy, I think you are right about the greens, it would be a fall/winter/early spring crop for you, but you could try some slow bolting varieties. Last year, I planted Jericho, and New Red Fire, neither of them bolted until July, and we were in the 90's by June. This year, I'm also trying Nevada, Sunset, and Simpson Elite. Oh, and chard is supposed to hold up to the heat, though mine got pretty bitter by mid-summer. Keep trying, don't give up. Fresh greens are so worth it!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooops, I made a mistake, and left Prayerrock/Mary off of the swap list. Let's try that again:

Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Scottrell/Sharon
    Prayerrock/Mary
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Sorry about that!

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hello!

All this talk about salad is awesome! It is really making me crave some. I am so glad I have all these healthy friends!

Kathy, Lettuce grows best for us here in the winter. I think I am going to try some of the varities that Bonnie suggested (Thanks Bonnie!) Malibar spinach loves the heat and is great in salads. I also grow Mississippi peas in the summer. BTW, are you going to the Lew's Botanical Garden Sale next week? I have heard that it is one of the best! I am going to try real hard to go, it is a little bit of a ride for me.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Sharon

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I thought I'd help people get in the mood for salad. I think I posted this on the Tomato & Pepper Swap Purple Acres hosted a few months back. Anyway, here's the recipe:

Panzanella

This is an Italian bread salad. The Italians make it to use up stale bread. I make it to use up cherry tomatoes.

Ingredients

Salad
    1 1â2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 3)
    1 shallot, minced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1â3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 cup fresh basil leaves
    Panzanella croutons
    Freshly ground black pepper

Panzanella Croutons
    ¼ cup unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    6 cups cubed day-old bread (½-inch cubes)
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
    6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan

Core the tomatoes and, if large, cut them into chunks; if small, halve or quarter them (I slice the cherry tomatoes in half). Toss them gently with the shallot, garlic, oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper. Set aside until the tomatoes are very juicy, about 10 minutes. Add croutons and give a give toss. Tear the basil over the salad and toss gently. (The bread salad can be served now or set aside at room temperature for a couple of hours.)

For the croutons, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and preheat a cookie sheet in it.
    Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until it foams. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the bread cubes and toss to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the bread to a baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with the cheese and toss again while warm to melt the cheese.
    Bake, stirring once or twice, until the croutons are crisp and lightly colored on the outside but still soft within, about 8 or 9 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, I'm originally from Tennessee, but I don't know what a Mississippi pea is. Is it a Black-eyed pea or something?

Becky, that sounds yummy! I bet some sliced cucumbers would go good with that.

I went out to start preparing the veggie bed yesterday, and found about a dozen carrots still there, that I had miss in the fall! My wintersown spinach and lettuce are starting to get their first real leaves, so I may plant those out in a couple of weeks, and put a row cover over them. Or maybe use the top half of soda bottles as cloches at night.

Enjoy the weekend! I'm going out to play in the dirt!

Bonnie

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Okay I made it..
    I am wanting to join sounds good to me. I have many seeds to swap and now that I am home all the time it is so much easier..I will be happy happy to join!!
    Polly
    P.S. just a little excited to do this one, I also am craving fresh salads and think green veggies are the best!!

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I would like to join in on this one, too. Sounds like a lot of fun. Are we going to post our rcipes on here, I would love to get a copy of everyone's recipe.

Nichol

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Polly and Nichol! Nichol, why don't we post the recipe that we receive, that way it won't take away the surprise.

So here's the new list:

Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Scottrell/Sharon
    Prayerrock/Mary
    Frenchfryleg1/Polly
    Gardenmom2/Nichol
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Bonnie

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Cool. I like surprises and recipes. LOL

Thank you. Nichol

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Thought I's bump this toward the top with another recipe!

Eight Bean Salad

This is adapted from Picnic! by Edith Stovel. Yes, there is an inconsistency. My bean salad has ten beans. The original recipe had nine but was still called "Eight Bean Salad." This serves 8.

Ingredients

Salad
    2 cups mixed dried beans* (¼ cup each garbanzo beans, navy beans, red kidney, lima, pinto, black bean, great northern, and black eyed peas)
    ½ lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    ½ lb yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    8 green onions, coarsely chopped
    ½ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    * canned beans can also be used. You will want a total of 4 cups of beans

Dressing
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    5 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    Black pepper to taste
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    ½ cup olive oil

Rinse beans, place in a large pot and cover with water and soak overnight. Remove any floater beans. Drain. Add two quarts of water again and simmer for 2 hours until beans are tender. Place in a large bowl and cool in the refrigerator. *If using canned beans, rinse and drain.

Steam green beans and yellow beans for two minutes. You will still want them a little crunchy. After two minutes plunge beans into cold water to stop the cooking. Drain thoroughly and add to cooked dried beans.

Add the green onions and parsley to beans and gently mix.

For the dressing, blend vinegar, sugar, garlic, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Mix well. Slowly drizzle in oils.

Pour dressing over the beans, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Becky! Don't give them all away, save a good one for your partner : )

Okay, lurkers, you have until Friday to sign up, and join in the fun. Come on, you know you want to!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know partners won't be assigned until Saturday, but I already picked up a couple of things for the swap. We will be out of town for a few days next week, since the kids are on spring break, so I thought I would get a head start.

Today, I may plant some onions. I had to buy chicken wire to put over the top though, since the neighborhood stray cats think the vegetable bed is a giant litterbox! Once everything is planted out and growing, they can't really get in there, so it's only a problem in the spring.

How's everyone else's garden coming along?

Bonnie

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Great idea with the chicken wire, Bonnie. :) These days our dog keeps the cats out of the gardening space, but before we had a dog, cats used to be a problem.

Nice bean salad recipe, Becky(booberry)! Looks tasty. We might try that one next time fresh beans become available.

Good question about how our heirloom gardens are doing, Bonnie. :)

Garden is going well. Several WinterSown things are now out in the patio. Moved some rainbow swiss chard, Osaka purple mustard, Mantovana chicory, Cicoria Catalogna Rossa, and mizuna seedlings over the weekend.

Still have more things to sow, though, including 'Red Welsh' bunching onions! Should get to that today, along with removing compost from vermicompost bin and adding more scraps for worms to eat. One of the things I do with my vermicompost is use it as seed starting mix!

Divided a sage plant and gave rooted offsets to a gardening pal who lives nearby; he was very happy to get them.

The lemongrass and ginger really need to be divided too. A good time will be later today while my hands are still dirty from processing the worm bin. :)

Harvested almost a bushel of collard greens and komatsuna greens recently. Didn't need that much, so we shared with a neighbor whose husband is unemployed. They were delighted, and surprised to see so much food from a 10'x 10' patio. :)

The heirloom bok choy "Tai Sai" has a few hundred seedpods on it. Will collect and dry in a paper bag very soon, otherwise the pods will split open and scatter the seeds everywhere. Wouldn't want that to happen, LOL!!

And the 'Rotonda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa' eggplant has several baby eggplants forming on it. :)

Blooming outside right now are a large flowered heirloom zinnia "cut and come again", double flowered magenta Pentas, rose colored gerbera daisy, and portulaca "Giant Bicolor Radiance."

Portulaca is edible but I haven't gotten up the guts to try eating it yet. Young Zinnia sprouts are edible, and I have eaten a few when thinning them out- they seem to taste similar to sunflower sprouts. :)

A lightly fragrant bicolor dianthus, from seeds Medontdo sent me- bloomed last week, and we ate a bunch of its flowers as edible garnish. Left a few flowers on, in hopes of saving some seeds. If it doesn't set seed we may try to keep it going by root divisions.

About the only thing in my garden that isn't looking happy lately is my water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica). Not sure why, but despite plenty of water it has gotten wilty all of a sudden. Maybe it is rootbound and needs to be divided and potted up in fresh soil.

Our Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata) is growing like gangbusters and needs to be pruned back. Time to make salsa and black bean soup with the trimmings! Might also experiment with drying some leaves for later. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Iris, you harvested almost a bushel of greens! You're giving me zone envy. All of my lettuces and spinach have sprouted, but they are still safe in their wintersown containers, and there is a chance of snow in the forecast by the beginning of the week.

Yesterday, I discovered that the rhubarb in a pot on the porch that I thought was dead, is ALIVE and well. Yippee! I already sowed some of the rhubarb seeds that I got from the Spring Fling swap, so now I am going to have to dig up a couple of mums to make room for BOTH of them. It's okay though, since the mums don't bloom until about a week before our first frost date, they really aren't pulling their weight anyway.

Just a reminder for those of you that are lurking, tomorrow is the last day to sign up for this swap.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I'll be assigning partners in the morning, but we sure could use one more person to make it even. I'll check back in the a.m. before posting, so if you are lurking, and trying to decide, there's still time.

Maybe I need to use Kathy's watch trick, LOL!

Bonnie

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Okay, I am IN!

It sounds like LOTS of fun.

Nancy

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, Nancy! So glad you decided to join!!!

So here's who we have:

Booberry85/Becky
    Southercharm1/Kathy
    Scottrell/Sharon
    Prayerrock/Mary
    Frenchfryleg1/Polly
    Gardenmom2/Nichol
    Luvgardening2/Nancy
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

I'll be back in the morning,
    Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning! I have posted partners this morning. Please follow the link to the update thread to find out who your partner is. Remember to post on the new thread when you ship or receive a package.

Have fun gathering those heirloom salad veggies, and other salad goodies!!!

Thanks for joining!
    Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: I.H. April's Splendid Salads Swap Partners