Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wispfox

Is there a definition of round robin forum terms?

wispfox
13 years ago

There's enough different types of round robin posts that Iam both curious and intimidated. Is there a translation/definition guide somewhere?

Also, hi! :)

Suzanne

Comments (4)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

well Suzanne.... it's not near as simple as it used to be. LOL
    Years ago a Round Robin, specifically was a "swap" hosted by someone with enough seeds to make up a nice selection that was sent around to those who signed up. Each took want they liked and replaced with equal number of seed packs of approximately equal value. For example you could replace marigolds with zinnias or BE Susans. Hellebores would be ok to swap for Japanese Iris or something else sorta "Special".
    It was OK to add some extra seeds but not "STUFF", ie candles, notepads etc. The box was then mailed to the next person on the list until it had flown around the circle and back home to it's own nest.
    It was decided that this cluttered up the regular forums as there were too many replies and follow ups and eventually the "Round Robin Forum" was set up for Any group trades.
    The trades morphed, over time to be a wide variety of types of swaps that involve more than two traders.
    I miss the old seed round robins but the new swaps are fun too.
    There are some where you need to be a member of a specific group and others that are open to anyone.The hostess sets the ground rules and they are generally posted at the start of the thread. Common sense and courtesy go a long way in making for happy trades and happy traders. Stick to the guidelines, send what you would like to receive and have fun. Many are for plants, most have at least a few seeds and some are for "garden oriented goodies" or other fun stuff.
    Hope this helps to answer your question. Others may have different interpretations and hopefully they will add to what I have written. Welcome to the forum and have fun.
    BB

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Suzanne;
    Beth did a great job with the history and modern day swaps but I interpreted your question more literally and thought you were wondering about SASBE which means Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope or DC which means delivery confirmation which is available on boxes shipped from the Post Office for a fee if you bring it to them or free if you print your postage on line. The post office also offers boxes for one flat rate shipping charge and they are labeled small, medium or large so that could be the size of the container you need to use for a particular swap. They now have new "regional" flat rate boxes which I received the other day and have not even had a chance to compare to the plain "flat rate".
    There are alot more things that I am not even touching on but someone else will pick up where I left off.
    Welcome to the Round Robin forum and the MNF (make new friends) group always takes new members, affectionately referred to as "NEWBIES".

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi Suzanne!
    I am the hostess for this month's Make New Friends (MNF) Swap. We would love for your to join us and see what our Round Robin is all about. :)

And if your a true "newbie"...don't forget to sign up for the Adopt A Newbie swap. That is where veterans or just about anybody who has extra seeds "adopts" someone who is just getting started. A lot of FUN too! :)

Look forward to seeing you on the round robin and welcome to the GW!
    vina

• wispfox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, lots of info, BB. Thank you! Unexpected, and very helpful. :)

Diene, I was thinking closer to what you were thinking, although I more meant things like mnf (which you defined, thank you) and "fat" round robin, and such.

Vina: I have in fact already signed up for the Adopt a Newbie swap. I will check out the mnf swap for April. :) I may be a little too intimidated right now to join (I tend to like to read for a bit before joining in on things), but I do appreciate the invite!