Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: 7700 Traveling Daylilies.....

mamabirrd
18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself to be utterly honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Spring is in the air...........

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (101)

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Birthday JO! Hope is was a good one!!!

It is still chilly here. Sunday I got a lot of work done.

Remind me never to plant Artesmia Ornamental Limelight again. The gal that gave it to me said it reseeds but is easy to pull out! My a$$. It is everywhere! I must have 300 plants. I am going to kill it all off and plant a couple with the pots burried in the ground! Sheesh!

I think I signed up for May swap and Dahlia swap if not sign me up. I can't keep track of the ones I signed up for. I do know my April box will be ready early for a change!!!

Well got to go, a fresh shipment of bulbs in today and I am off to pack!

Take care all!

angie

• namso
    18 years ago

Happy Bithday Jo, so sorry missed your special day! hope it was the best ever :).

Shirley, lol. widh there were alots of Speeds with signs who lived around here. think i posted this before...but this is my birdhouse/feeder one. mostly done on the fact that when we moved here....no trees :)
    {{gwi:1254970}}
    must admit though my arborist brother thinks this style is an atrosity. don't care, i like :).

gotta run....

Cindy O/namso

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

Love ya!
    Canna
    (who is always a day late and a dollar short)

• mellen
    18 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday, Jo. I hope you had a beautiful day! Mary Ellen

• abitodd
    18 years ago

Evening all,

Joann, I am sorry I forgot your Birthday....Happy Belated Birthday from Meghan, Betty and I....Now that is why I do Birthdays on a quarterly basis...lol You may get your Card and gift a bit early but thats just my way of saying I do think about you and love you all.

Deni

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Hello all!

Happy belated birthday, Jo! Hope you had a great day and are still celebrating today!!!!!

Cathy, It was so good to hear from you again. Great news about your Julie! I am sorry to hear about your DH. Hope the treatments are going well for him.

Shirley...those $1 iris are really tempting! I probably do not need another addiction!

Anita, you are really getting alot of new daylilies! You must have a big yard for them! If I ordered that many, I would not have enough space for them all!

Deni, Glad to see you posting again!

Dawn Your new place looks just beautiful!

It has been warmer here today, and we are starting to get rid of some of that last snow! I see a few tulips and crocus coming up.Some of the daylilies are ggreen too. Now that is a good sight! Now if I can just keep the rabbits from eating them this year!

Dianne, It looks like there are alot of hosta people here, too! I guess I could enjoy any hosta, even if it was bigger!

I need to update my GW plant lists! They are so outdated!

I found some new daylilies in a store over the weekend and I am so excited. I planted them in pots(in the house....this is zone 4 and winter may not be over yet!)and they are really growing! Also found some new lilies. They were at Menards of all places! I just could not leave them there...they were trying to grow out of the box :(

MaryS

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Dang it, Deni, I am soooo sorry! I got my birthday card with my subscription to Garden Design. Thank you Thank you Thank you to you and Megan and Betty!!!

My neighbor Louise came home last Thursday and that has been my focus since. She is getting stronger everyday. We even went outside today and walked around in her yard and looked at all her flowers blooming. Maleah and I are staying with her while her husband is at work during the day. Keeping up her laundry, housework and grocery shopping for them.

I'll catch up here one of these days with y'all.

Canna

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Angie, been there done that with Limelight. She kept coming back for 3 years. Finally last year she was gone. Whew!

Paul, I got the Horticulture Magazine today. Wonderful!

Dianne, I'm not sure, but I think my name should be under your name. Only saying this because of your instructions:
    When everyone's done signing up, we'll come back and choose who we want to send to, in the order we signed up.
    I want to have first choice. LOL (you said you would take the last choice).

Hope you had a SUPER BIRTHDAY JO!
    I too am so sorry I missed it.

sharon/tma

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

happy birthday to a gal named jo
    sorry our bday wishes were slow
    we really hope your day was great
    and all your wishes you did satiate
    so put up your feet
    and make your self a tastey treat
    lol
    cody

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Dianne,
    I wanted in on the hosta swap:( Anita

• User
    18 years ago

Ah, Sharon, you're absolutely right! You're #1 to sign up and pick a partner.

I was so diligent in keeping the list going and this morning I sat down, checked the RR and went to add a name and POOF--no list.

DH says, I didn't touch it. Now I know where I left it and it wasn't there. Only one left to blame is my son who was visiting last evening, but what on earth he'd do with it I can't imagine. Anyway, had to reread and start over. I'm sure someone decided to write a note or list on the back and off it walked.

So, you're back on top!

Canna--too funny. I sent Jo an email and said THE EXACT SAME THING YOU DID!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Cathy Prayers are with you and DH. Shirley please include me in the next iris buy, I will e-mail my list as soon as I get an ok from you Gloria is sending me season 2 of 24, boy am I happy, I am the person wondering what the heck to do with season one, now totally addicted. Gloria has made my day. big hugs MammaG, you are the best.

• mareas
    18 years ago

I really do love you people & want you to be happy & will write your birthdays on my work calender - I have 7 part time jobs now (including my eBay sales)...
    Sister Jo - you ARE going to have your best year ever!

Dianne - I want in that Hosta swap,too! I need to learn how to articulate!@#*#@
    {{gwi:1243468}} ~m'

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,
    Oh darn it Jo! Of all people, how could we all have forgotten yours??? Think we're all just so excited to see Spring finally arriving, that we're thinking of nothing else but trying to get in the gardens. VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO YOU! Hope it was extra special for you! Please forgive us all......

Dianne, I want in for the hosta swap also. No preference, anyone that knows me, knows I love them all.

Deni, I wanted in for May vacation swap too!

Cathy, so happy for you all that Julie will be with you permanently. And what a relief that there will be no contact with her natural father. The sooner he is out of her life, the better for her. I am so sorry to hear about your DH. Keep your chin up and take one day at a time. Thank God for your brother and the support he is giving you right now. We are all praying for you.

Sharon and Cindy, thanks for info on fertilizing seedlings. Just about what I was thinking - a weak dilution when they are a few inches high - but didn't want to kill them by doing it too soon. As a first time mom of DL seedlings, you know I am a little nervous!

Dawn, sorry you had such a bad day yesterday with your Grandmom. I too know how hard it is, but know that sometimes it really is for the best for them. Hugs to you.

Time to start the day!
    MaryB

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Oh no Jo, you should send us all to the corner. Hope your day was wonderful.

Weather is finally straightening out around here. Get to play in the flowerbeds finally.

Cindy, that is a great pic of your front yard. I really want to put one those patios in. Sherri

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone:)

Cathy,
    Prayers are with you:)

Mary S,
    I still have LOT'S of room, I am trying to get DH to give up more of the 2 acer lawn, I keep telling him, it would cut down on mowing time, He wont budge, YET!!!

Angie,
    If you get rid of all your Artemisa Lime Light, Please help me eradicate it from my bed, I love Jo to piece's, but I sure wished she had not shared that little booger with me, or I wish I had NEVER planted it in the bed I did, what a pain that stuff is.

Ellen,
    Did they move your HGTV from 7:00 to 7:30, or is it just mine?

Dianne,
    This is from our last thread,

RE: 7600 Traveling Daylilies
    Posted by: nyvoices99 z5zip14830 (My Page) on Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 16:25
    Mary B, Mary S, Marea,
    I would LOVE to do a Hosta swap, if I have any you all don't, & Mary B traded me most of the ones I have, so we will have to see.

Have to get out in the dirt, have a great day all, :)Anita

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Annie-2 of each
    Paul-Have list
    Sherri-15 total
    Mary Ellen-1 of each
    Cody-I have your want list.
    Angie-1 of each
    Dawn-1 of each
    Jean-
    Carol-
    Susie-
    Deni-Wants more
    Jo-Wants more

Updated list of $1.00 irises
    after the dawn
    altruist
    betsy blue
    can can red
    colortart
    coming attraction
    edith wolford
    feed back
    gay parasol
    jessie's song
    masters touch
    michigan pride
    olympiad
    pink taffeta
    rose caprice
    samurai warrior
    sapphire hills
    silverado
    spartan
    sultans palace
    superstition

Angie-I have that Artemisa Limelight also plus Cat mint. Mints go wild. Hope to get rid of both soon.

Cindy-Love your log birdhouse/feeder. I love to make things you find in the woods. Logs have to be one of the best treasures you can find.

Cody-Love your poem to Jo. You did extra good.

Shirley

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to be in the hosta swap also.

Thanks

Jaye

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

shirley, again thanks for all your hard work. sure hope my check arrived by now. i would like the following, if you don't mind a repeat customer. also, i think i'll just send you some fill-in-the blank signed checks for the future LOL

gay parasol (2)
    edith wolford (2)
    jessie's song (4)
    pink taffeta (2)
    michigan pride (4)
    spartan (2)
    samurai warrior(2)
    sultans palace (2)
    master's touch (4)
    silverado (2)
    and 2 of anything else that they might have new. thank you so much, you are truly a God-send.

Jo, happy birthday to you. would have wished ya sooner, but wasn't on the thread to realize. sorry a little late, but well-wishes nonetheless. sure hope it was a memorable one and the year continues to be wonderful.

i will have to take stock of what hosta i have before i can commit to that swap. is there a cut off date, may i missed that post.

i believe i made it into april's, and i send my items to sue, or are we getting paired up?

the travel swap sounds interesting, my mind is just blank, so i'll pass on that and watch all the participants so that if there is ever another swap similar, i'll know how to play.

wow, march is almost gone. where does the time go?

dawn, prayers to you and yours for your gran. we have 24/7 home care for my uncle (oh, he's so much more than that word describes) and even that's a tough thing to face. i'll keep you all in my prayers.

canna, God bless you and your heart!

cathy, i don't know the background on the adoption/baby, but i'm glad it all worked out for you. also, i hope everything works out with your husband. prayers for you and yours as well all around.

i wouldn't suppose everyone would mind e-mailing me their birthday (month and day is fine), and i'll keep a list and post first thing on their special day, or is that too far out for ya? make it my little contribution to this group.

so sharon, what color did you paint and did you give up the FDR? i need a bigger one. i have 4 china cabinets in mine and there's no room for the 3 others i have.

deni, i did post before about receiving your card with the mag subscription, but in case you didn't see it, i'm thanking you again.

well wishes to everyone!

maryanne/earthly

• bourret
    18 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!

Happy Belated Birthday Jo!! ((((HUG))))

Could everyone post what their garden theme is? It would really help with present and future trades. For instance, the theme of my garden is fairies.

Also, I would love to know who likes to read and what kind of books you enjoy, i.e. thrillers, romances, science fiction, biographies, cookbooks, etc.

The third question is what garden magazines do you subscribe to? I don't want to send a magazine to my trading partner if he/she already gets it.

The fourth question is what type of garden labels do you use, i.e., "EON", "Paw Paw Everlast", "Garden Marker", etc.

Well, I've got to get back to uncluttering my study.

I await your responses with great anticipation.

Cheerfully,

Lisa
    bourret@gwi.net

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

lisa maybe for your first question it could be tweaked a bit and ask 'what is your gardens theme or if you don't have a theme, what do are your garden collections'? i don't do themed beds, but i do have huge plant collections. i collect daylilies, obviously, i think i'm at 500+ now. i also have around 50+ sedums, 50+ heuchera/heucherella/tiarella, 70+ ornamental grasses, 40+ roses, japanese maples 10, tree peonies 5, orchids, hoya, african violets and amaryllis. i'm also trying to start a sempervivum collection. we prefer to use natural decorations ie rocks and tree stumps/branches or things from the old homestead. i've found knives, sickles, eye glasses, jars etc from 150 years ago.

the books i read would probably be classified as science fiction/fantacy/horror. i really like mercedes lackey, anne rice, stephen king and ra salvatore.

i think the only mags we actaully subscribe to is horticulture and better homes and gardens, but others keep turning up. i don't know if my mom is buying them or stealing from the dentist?

i prefer to use the paw paw labels. i think they're the long rose labels. the eons are too expensive. although i've still got a lot of plastic labels out there buried with the plants. it's a good thing i memorize everything to do with hort otherwise we'd be lost.

maryanne
    on the address list everyones birthday should be listed to the right of their names. if you don't have it, let me know and i'll forward it to you.

spring needs to hurry up, i'm sick of sowing indoors. all of the other dl seeds will be pregerminated and directly sown in june. i've only got 3/4 more to do!!
    i'm gonna try to grow lotus again. i've tried three times and i keep killing them. if i can't do it this time, i'm done till we put in a smaller pond. my brothers wedding is only 2 1/2 months away and i still don't have everything cut back. haven't even started raking yet. plus the yard is all torn up from the new drain field. hopefully things start to happen a little quicker.

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Hello all,

I want to thank everyone so very much for all the wonderful b-day wishes. THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Cody,
    I just love the poem. Too cool.

Marea,
    love the e-card. It is just hysterical. LOVE it

Di,
    you mean I wasn't here running my big mouth, or I wasn't e-mailing YOU, (and running my big mouth) (big, big grins)

Barb,
    A big thank you for the nice note. hugs

Lisa,
    As to garden themes. I am easy. I am making garden "rooms". I am collecting for each one(plants and other items) Some of the rooms I am currently collecting for;

*Dragon (I am working on a HUGE sculpture(about 2 1/2 ft high x 6ft long) of one of those "serpent" dragons)
    *fairie (am thinking about making a concrete bench with fairies sculpted into the sides)
    *family(have the design for the water garden all laid out, the garden will go all around it)
    *green
    *black
    *white
    *cat
    *children
    *tropical
    *dog
    *butterfly
    *hummingbird (I am working this one around the HUGE clump of scarlet beebalm they love)
    *dragonfly(this one is gonna be worked all around my current large watergarden)
    *firefly
    I am planning on doing many things from "hypertufa" to go into each one. NOW you have done it, I am really wanting to get moving on them again.(grin)
    As to books, hmmmmmmm, don't read much anymore, too tired most of the time. But, if I do, it is usually a garden book of some kind. I used to love scifantasy. Tracey hickman,terry brooks,anne mccaffrey.
    I like most garden mags, I currently receive Birds and blooms, backyard gardener, birds and blooms extra-thank you shirley, I got the postcard)and mother earth news.
    I love any of them that have DIY projects in them. Any that have ideas for garden rooms, and any with watergardens.
    tags/markers, well, I have been using mini blinds, and I have stuck them wayyyyyy down into the ground with just a bit sticking up. But, would you believe it?, with the winds we have had this winter, I have several doz.that have
    come up and out, so now i am gonna have to wait and see where the plant is before i can put most of them back. And with the DL's, I will have to wait till they bloom. AAAAAHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!! So, maybe changing to something else (affordable)

Shirley,
    I sent you my revised iris list.I really want those pink taffeta, had 3 listed before, only got one really small one. thanks bunches.

Got a lot done in the yard yesterday, WHEW, what a mess. But, it is looking better. I think half or the counties garbage is in my yard, blown there from all the gale force winds we have had.
    well, off to eat dinner, have a great night everyone,

hugs to all, and thanks again for all the great B-day wishes,

Jo/juspeachy

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

Hi Cathy and Julie...it's so good to see you posting again. I have really missed you. Wonderful news about Julie and hopefully the news about DH will soon be good.

Jo....Happy late, late birthday. Hopefully you got my e-mail.

Everyone should have received a copy of the Membership rules. I will get new membership lists out as soon as we know whose names to remove from the list. Everyone should have a copy of the old membership list which has the birthdays listed (month and day) out from the names of each person. It also includes everyone's mailing addresses which we use for mailing our trades, and e-mail addresses, so we can build our address books and do group mailings. I forget that this may not be obvious to our new members. Sorry for not realizing. Just print out a copy of the list and keep on hand for trades etc. If you need a copy, let me know and I'll send you one.

I think it was Lisa that asked about themed gardens? I don't have one theme, I just stick stuff in my beds. I like fairies too, as well as toadstools, frogs, turtles, stones, wooden objects d'art, old farm implements/tools/equipment, and windchimes and the list goes on and on. I listen to audio books instead of reading now. I find druggery task like housework and weeding flower beds are so much more fun when listening to a "horror story" and I agree with Cody on his choice of authors, I too like Stephen King, Anne Rice, John Saul, Dean Koontz, well you get the idea. All my magazine subscriptions have ran out, so any gardening magazine is great. I have been using the hard plastic labels that you get at wal-mart and label with the dyno but, like Jo, some of mine heaved out of the ground and were blown, so I have about 10 new unknowns to add to the two roll of them I have in my garden now.

Gloria....Keep us updated.

Deni...I knew you must have been feeling bad since I hadn't heard from you recently. I hope you feel better really quickly. How's the looking for land going? Do you think you will be moving this summer?

Dawn...Sorry about your Grandmother, but excited for you and DH and your new home project. How is pregnant sis doing?

I am #11 in the April swap, I have signed up for the May vacation swap but not the dahlia swap (I don't want to dig them and store them in the fall)and I want to sign up for the June hosta swap...Is anyone hosting a daylily swap for June? (lol) Maybe it would be better to wait until we get April and May done first. Just a touch of daylilyitis there for a second.

I see I have rambled on again. TTYL
    Debbie/budsnblooms

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hi, Everyone.

Lisa, my garden theme is simple... Entropy :-). Other than bonsai, my collections include plumeria, adenium, epiphyllum, passiflora, orchids, cacti and succulents (I think I'm going to focus on euphorbia and sempervivum), dahlia, daylily, and bearded iris. As for reading, good mystery or horror. Favorite authors are Trevanian, Koontz, McCammon, Cornwell, etc. Only garden magzine I subscribe to is a bonsai one called Golden Statements. For labels, I use cut up old blinds or just write on the pot.

Jo, would love to see your hypertufa creations. I've been wanting to try it.

Thanks,
    Paul

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Morning everyone,

Well, just when things were about as busy as they could be, I have to go back to work at the golfcourse today. I'm actually excited, but DH is not. He said I will be busy enough working as "project manager" of the new house, LOL. I hope I can juggle everything. : ) This is my 7th year at the golfcourse.
    Probably another few weeks before I start up my lawncare/landscape business. I promised DH I would cut a few of my clients. : )

I know several of you have asked questions and I will answer them as soon as I have time.

Thank you all for the nice words about my gram. Dianne, I will email you soon. Big hugs to you.
    I will be going up again after work this morning. It seems like a pretty nice place, but i'm still not sure as it's only been one day......
    My gram is quite confused. And she hasn't eaten anything except ice for a week. : (

Cathy, big hugs to you. I'm so sorry to hear about DH, but i'm sure he will come through fine. I will keep him in my prayers.
    It is so wonderful to hear the great news about Julie! I am thrilled for you. You are lucky to have each
    other. : )

I can't wait to tell you all about the soil at my new place....it's crazy!!!
    We got all the topsoil removed from the building site and a few hundred feet of the driveway is done too. DH started digging out for the foundations yesterday and moved so much dirt. He is going to play hookie today and dig all day. He should be close to completing the main excavation today. So far, the project seems to be FLYING! I'm really glad we are doing this ourselves.

Well, time to get ready.........i've got 10 miles of grass to cut this morning.....YAY!!!!!!

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

I hope everyone is feeling better. The weather has been beautiful here and I hope the rest of you are enjoying some warmth and sunshine. I have a new dog that I have to take out on a leash so I'm spending some of my time outside with him. He's about a year old but still very much a puppy and chewing. He tears up the house every day so I have to keep everything put up! He's been eating my houseplants so I've had to put them outside and hope for the best because some of them are poisonous for him. Ugh!!!

Cathy, I'm really sorry you DH is sick. They have made so much progress in treatments that hopefully they'll be able to get him well soon. Great news about Julie and I'll be praying that the adoption will go thru soon. ;-)

Dawn, my Grandmother is in a nursing home and it's the best thing that could have happened to her. She's got friends and people who love her to take care of her. The staff are so wonderful. She spent the last 15 or more years taking care of first her father and then my grandfather so was unable to go to church or anywhere. Now she has that companionship again. I wish that for your grandmother too.

Angie, I'm with you on the limelight. It's taking over my best bed! From a few sprigs I now have about an 8 foot patch. Anybody want some. It would be great in an area by itself.

Shirley, I'd love to have some iris if you have time to get more. If so, I'd like one of each. Just let me know how much it will be with shipping and I'll paypal it to you.

Well, better run to get to work on time. Have a super day all.

Nancy

• skohler
    18 years ago

Shirley : 1 ea let me know the total price with
    shipping . :)) can we pay through pay pal ??

ok who took off the april play rules . I know they were posted & I can't find them . can some one please send a email with them so I can copy them off /// PLEASE

thank you .

susie

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Here's Luther in his white fleece coat. Well, maybe he looks a LITTLE like Elvis - needs sequins and rhinestones...

Can you tell he is airborn? 3 guesses who made it to the house 1st, flying Elvis or a chuffing Tiger?

My little 'Dorothy Benedict' babies at 6 weeks from sowing.

{{gwi:1254973}}

They look streaky now! Wonder how long I'll have to wait to know if any are really nice? The 'Noah's Ark' came up fine, too, but only 1 each of 'Heart's Content' and 'Niagara Falls'. : ( Same flat, same everything. Maybe I can get a refund...)

Boy those iris are tempting, but we're busy enough now with all we're doing. We cleaned up beds and most plants came through this odd winter, but voles apparently lived on lily bulbs so I lost some of those. My ensatas don't look good but we'll just wait a bit and see.

Lots more seeds up and well. When I have them potted up and growing on, I'll post a list of what I've got.

Outside the Helleores are blooming purple and white! We just planted them last Oct.! These are x hybridus; the nigers are leafing...'Blue Boy' hosta coming up, and all the aquilegias. Also the gentians and VA bluebells.

Peonies are creepimg into my consciousness. I must resist...at least til next year.

DD Jess called - sounds like a happy mama! She just got the little green footie suit I sent for Marie, AKA Ant. It has little happy ants all over it saying come walk with me - had to get it for the baby. I'm knitting the silliest, frilliest, pastel baby throw, just because the pattern is fun! Not like Marie needs ONE THING!

Reading everybody's posts - will respond next time.

Hugs to all who need or want one : ), good wishes to any of us in sadness or trouble. Hope everybody feels better and gallops out into the springtime to garden!!!!

Barb

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

Hi all-
    I just filled out the theme ?'s on email. Hope that's ok.
    I only have a minute as I have to get to work and then leave for california by this time tomorrow. Sunshine and barefeet- I hope!

MAREAS nice happy bike pic!

Hugs to all you are ill and helping those who are..

Smiles to all who are now able to get out and dig in dirt a bit- I am every time the weather allows!

Karen

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

shirley
    i got the iris'. i'll send a check out on monday. Thanks!!
    cody

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Lisa,thanks for the link to daylilyworld. Think me and Cindy broke the bank. :)

Shirley, do you need me to send money ahead. Didn't think about your expense to get them. Let me know. Sherri

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Hey, I want to be in a hosta swap, too. I've hosted several hosta swaps before, from huge leafed ones to minis. They are always so wonderful!

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Oh forgot, could someone send me a list of everyone e-mail and addresses. Need to update so I can e-mail group if necessary. Thanks Sherri

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got the most WONDERFUL box from Carol yesterday for the April swap. Wow, she's fast! As soon as I get home I will post pictures and show you all my goodies. Carol, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love my Carribbean Stud! If you haven't traded with Carol yet, you are in for a treat. She sends great boxes!
    I picked the box up yesterday morning, but didn't get to open it until after 10pm last night! I had so much running around to do yesterday, and the box was sitting there on my truck seat staring at me! I couldn't wait to finally get home and open it. It was really fun, and I know DH was jealous. : )

Also, I know I owe Deni and Shirley money. I will get that to you right away.

I have to meet the Septic Inspector again today at 8:30am, then I have to go see Gram, then I have to go to my car dealership. I bought a new truck yesterday and have to go in to finish the paperwork. Not sure when i'll make it home today, but i've got lots to talk about and pictures to post.

Have a great Saturday,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mareas
    18 years ago

Sherri - Our membership list is coming shortly from Debbie/budsnblooms - she is firming up who the current members are & then will get us the most current of her complete lists - they include GW user name, email & mailing addy AND birthdays.
    I have a washtub full of daylilies to plant!! THE SEASON HAS STARTED!! i AM HYSTERICAL WITH EXCITEMENT!
    Beauties from Florida{{gwi:1254975}}
    Daylilies to be potted today: Daughter of Magic, Dragon King, Seeing Blue & a clump of Roses in Snow. I love this month! Yesterday I got to go shopping at the dollar store - I found a few of you such appropriate little goodies! HAPPY SPRING! ~ marea

• namso
    18 years ago

Marea, i am green with envy!. will be weeks before any incoming here. I love to see your excitement. wow what great fans too. where are they from?

Shirley, got the iris in the ground :) you should have check by now, if not, plmk. Thankyou again.

Lisa, thankyou for the link.

Barb, great pic of flying elvis Luther!

Nancy, grats on your new dog as well.

Susie, the rules for April are under the motorcyle pic. the last update of traders list is on the raspberry wine daylily pic. (look for Mareas posts, she is hosting April)

Off to plant more trees and pansies i picked up last night. Daffs in bloom here now, finally some color :). yep its spring!

Cindy O/namso

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

It's been a while so I know I'm going to miss some things.

First of all a very Happy very Belated Birthday to Jo!

Dawn - I missed it - did you buy your farm????

Gloria - What Happened? I'm sorry things aren't going well, keep us posted.

Well Gotta Go now.

More good new later!

Ellen

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

HI all,

A quick check in. Just got home from work.

Hope everyone is doing great.

Marea,
    NICE daylilies.

Ellen,
    Good to see you post.

Dawn,
    Be careful girl, you may meet yourself, like the donut guy.
    Hugs.

LAST CALL TO SIGN UP FOR THE MAY DAHLIA SWAP

I have these names for the swap;

Paul
    Jo
    Deni
    Carmen
    Carol
    Shirley
    MaryB
    Angie
    Cathy

If you signed up and your name isn't on this list please let me know, I will be posting partners tomorrow evening. And, as we are geting close to end of this thread, I will also be e-mailing the list as well.

Hugs to all,

Jo, off to veg

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Marea, wow they are big and healthy. Lucky you being able to get them sooooo early!!!

Jo, I wanted to thank you for your input on the roman shades. Nope, I haven't started them yet, but soon. I've been working or in the garden. :o)

Cindy O. , I can't wait for the daff to bloom ... soon. So glad yours are blooming. I have crocus and those snow things (glory in the snow?), love them.

Planted all the bulbs I bought from Angie. And a few otheer bulbs I got at Meijers. I'm trying the 'scaling' process this year. HOpe it works.

Question (I know, another one): Formosa Lily, anyone hae any experience with this lily. I got a bulb, just wondering if I have to lift it for the winter, I find sites that say it is good down to zone 5, others zone 7????

Have a nice Sunday everyone, off to work for me.
    sharon/tma

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Merea, oh do tell. Where did those come from? I didn't know anyone had that nice of fans growing this early. Need to move. :)

Debbie, thanks for all your hard work keeping up with the lists. I have tried to keep up with the changes but according to hotmail, I haven't done a good job. It won't let me reply to the group e-mails.

update on muskrat. He is still alive and well and having a ball in my pool. Literally. He has retrieved two balls from the yard to play with. Going to try to add all my spring chemicals to get him to relocate.
    Called a few trappers and they want over a hundred to come and trap him. Can't justify that just yet. Sherri

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Morning all. Yesterday I was like a workhorse. Mowed the lawn for the first time this year! It is nice that spring has finally arrived. My back is killing me, then I fell down the basement steps. Just call me Grace!

It is raining now, but I am still going to get out there and do something. My garden club has their annual plant sale at the end of April and I need to start potting up the plants. I usually try and donate between 100-150 pots.

Has anyone heard from Gloria?? What happened? Was it her knees???

I bought some Tropicanna Cannas from a seller on ebay 3 for 5.98, I bought 6. This guy actully sent small plants not bulbs. I am so thrilled they are about 2 ft high!!! That is one heck of a price for those.

Well I have to play in the mudd!!

Angie

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Morning Traveling Daylilies!

Well, I never made it back yesterday. Just too much to do. Jo is right, I need to slow down. : )
    Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. But I do have a bit of good news. We hired one of DH's employees to work for us in the evening. He will be doing lots of stuff that I would probably normally be doing. That will free up lots of time for me to work on moving plants.

I'm on my way out again, but wanted to take a sec. to thank Carol again and show my goodies....

The "Carribbean Stud" is the large stuffed parrot. He is holding a playing card and wearing a dealer's hat. You may or may not know this, but DH is a professional internet poker player. It is his 2nd job, lol. That parrot is just perfect! I LOVE him.
    I also go a Beanie Baby Parrot that I am thrilled about. I already had him, but my Macaw got ahold of him and chewed off his eyes. : ( I am so happy to have a new one.
    Also got:
    *A sweet stuffed bunny wearing a rain coat holding a bag of gumball eggs
    *A beltclip radio w/headphones and compass. Carol also included batteries.....this will be perfect at the new place in case I get lost in the woods. : )
    *A wonderful set of Aromatherapy candles. I am saving these to use at the new house.
    *Dahlia 'Hawaii'......a nice large clump! I haven't looked this one up yet, but i'll bet it's perty.
    *Peeps bunnies in blue....yum!
    *Two glass drink stirs..........with parrots on top!!! Carol, I love these and will cherish them.
    *The cutest, teeny-tiny glass ladybug. I almost didn't see it in the box. It's precious.
    *A set of vanilla-honey bath salts, gel, and scrub with wooden applicator. Can't wait to use these in my new tub. I don't have a nice tub here and will be putting one in the new house.
    *Magnetic note box with pad & pencil that says "Friends Forever" : ) I can never have enough note paper.
    *Seeds! Passiflora Caerulea & Cypress Vine 'Valentine Mix'
    *A cute pink bunny filled with easter candy corn...
    *A very pretty card
    *The cutest green bug whirli-gig that will be going over to the new place today. I am working on the holding bed for my Iris and Daylilies. I will put it in there to help scare off the critters. : )
    *An easter bag filled, and I mean FILLED, with all kinds of candy. Oh Carol, what a selection! I never buy this stuff for myself so it's quite a treat. I'll be filling my pockets up.
    *A chocolate bunny missing the head....well, it still had it's head when it arrived, but DH got ahold of it. : )
    *A F$*% potsitter.......I love him, but MamaG would not.

I hope I didn't forget anything. This all came in a priority box decorated with flowers and ladybugs. Cute!

Carol, you really made my day and I love everything. It is a wonderful way to kick off the trading season and made me feel like Spring is really here! *Thank you*

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mareas
    18 years ago

Hooray Dawn AND Carol !! WHAT a box!

Gloria shot me an email that she was hospitalized again & now wears an oxygen mask to sleep which counters the heart-stopping sleep apnea she's was finally diagnosed with - she said she feels a difference already with enough oxygen. Her knees are very bad and she can't kneel or stoop. Family member is going thru repeated surgeries so she's at the hospital more than home these days.

I got those 2 inch wide fans from the Flemings in Florida, Lily Auction seller ID 'Packrat'. Highly recommended.

Angie - I've emailed you several times about cannas, lady - I will send you the dark red stripe leaved ones , so don't buy 'em. But I'm glad you got a great deal on that NECESSARY Tropicanna.

That Flying Elvis Luther photo is a keeper!

I'm SO happy we did that bulb swap last Fall! Just LOOK at the start of my hyacinth blooms! (Thanks, Sharon!)
    {{gwi:1254979}}

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Afternoon, all!!!

We just came in from dividing Astilbes.

Deni - Emailed you but haven't heard back - these Astilbes are yours from last fall - remember? I can hold them til about Wed but they should go out this week.

Sharon and Jo - Thanks for the Roman shades info. I'm planning to make those for our South-facing window wall. It is so nice to have the late winter/early spring sun pouring in but mid winter we need to cover them. I'm hoping I can make Roman shades to help insulate at night. I only need to make 15...

Gloria - so good to hear from you if only a peep! I'm glad the doctors are figuring your problems out! You're a sweetie for spending time with family in the hospital, too. Anything you need? We're here...

Sherri - Your muskrat story cracks me up! They and the beaver and mink were all but extinct in the big Killbuck Valley swamp area (where the frogs are so loud in the spring it just makes us grin) until recently. They've sharply limited trapping and now there are beaver and skrat lodges all around out there. I used to take the blowup boat out when the kids were young, and we'd quietly sneak up on big turtles, herons and the occasional swimming beaver. Water lilies, skunk cabbages and sundews, too.

Marea - Such fat daylilies! I ordered a bunch of the older, still beautiful ones - why pay high prices when I don't even have the less expensive ones I love too? The new deep red and blue ones are gorgeous, though. I can't find a link to Yost - anybody know what became of their site?

Voles had a hayday under the mulch this winter.

Sharon - I could tell you how my young Formosa lilies did over winter, if not for voles. I grew 50-some from seed and after the vole fiestas, I found 3 left, many tunnels. Digging Astilbes tho, lots of tunnels, no plant damage. Found a gazillion nuts the squirrels have buried - it was a bumper year!

My new pulmonarias are blooming, and the daffs are all out - brilliant! I must multiply the Siberian squill - such a tiny thing - such electric blue!!! Puschkinias in bloom now too and they have seeded dozens more on down the bank, among forget me nots. That may just turn out all right next spring.

Jo - We brought in the birch log suet feeder - our crazy pileated woodpecker pecked right through the metal suet cups! He also has made a filigree of the pine wood beams of our small barn. Incredible damage, but then, he is as big as a chicken!

Lots of bergenia sprouts up! I'll have extras if these grow on well. I'll transplant some of the hosta babies tomorrow into pots.

I just love April!

Barb

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

DRUM ROLL PLEEEEEEEASE.....................

PARTNERS FOR THE MAY DAHLIA SWAP

Paul-Deni
    Jo-Carol
    Shirley-Cathy
    Carmen-MaryB
    Angie-Jo

(yes, I am on there twice, Carol and I will be trading, and Angie and I will be trading, had to do it that way to make it even)

You must send 3 "named" Dahlias. You and your partner can set it up for more, or even for unnamed ones if you want. The only requirement is the 3 named. The rest is between you and your partner. You MUST send your partner a "want and have" list, ASAP. Make it a good long one, so they have lots of choices in case they cannot find some of them.

Well, I am off for the evening. Mom is very unwell, she will be going to the Drs. in the AM. I am extremely worried about her.

Take care everyone,

Hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• abitodd
    18 years ago

Evening all,

Here is what I have on the May Vacation Swap.

Please check the list below for the May Vacation Swap. If your name is on there and should not be please email me ASAP. If your name is not on there and should be please email me ASAP. If your name is on the list with a (maybe) beside it please let me know if you are in or not ASAP. If I do not hear from the (maybe)'s I will remove you as these where not absolutly yes's to the May swap. I will be sending out partners Tomorrow night along with all the instructions again. I will be here to help any of you that may not understand all you need to do is email me or pick up the phone and call me and i will do my best to help you with it.

Mary Ellen
    carol
    Jo
    Dawn
    Shirley
    Anita
    Betty
    Meghan
    Deni
    Paul
    Barbara
    Marea
    Sherri
    Cindy (maybe)
    Sue (Maybe)

I will also be sending this in an email so all should get it today.

Thanks
    Deni

• skohler
    18 years ago

I'm in the may vacation swap :))) I really need a vacation :)) can't get into my email tonight .
    someone has send a very large file of sort & it is freezing my email up .
    so have to wait for my server to delete it :((
    so I can get my other mail.

I have a ??? :))) when is it safe to plant dahlias in zone 5 ??? they are calling for some snow this week monday but up in the 60's with rain towards thurday.
    what crazy weather.

well I just got home & my babies want some attention
    so have a great night all.
    when will we know who we will be sending our vacation package to ???

good night all
    susie

• mareas
    18 years ago

Barb, I started with daylilies 3 years ago. I went wild somehow. Here is the oldie that got me started with the blue ones: 'Jimmy Crackcorn': {{gwi:1254982}}
    For my birthday I won VICTORIAN LACE BIG CLUMP on the LA, Boston Cream Pie for breakfast & Red Lobster for dinner.
    I do have to work at the cleaners, but it's all Victorian Cream from here... I only have one dahlia & I am saving up for the Hosta Swap now.[maraca music trails off in the distance...] ~m'

• User
    18 years ago

I just had the most wonderful day!

Cleaned up the entire backyard, reset two of the steps leading to the wisteria arbor, uncovered the patio sets, hooked up the hose, repainted my copper potting bowl and basset hound weathervane, pruned some trees, and best of all----got to see so many of my little green darlings peeking up through the mulch.

The daylilies are about 3 inches high and the hostas are just pushing eyes from the soil surface.

Wonderful weather, wonderful day!

Glad to hear all is going well with everyone here. The swaps sound great.

Anyone else want to join the June Hosta Shuffle? 17 so far and I found the original list (right in the book I put it in--this menopause thing is killing me.)

• msbernard
    18 years ago

hello everyone - it is still not sunny in Central Oregon and I am really bummed. I'm writing tonight to ask that my membership be revoked. I thank each and every one of you for your kindness throughout my time with you. I appreciate it very much.
    SherryB