Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

Sharing Springtime Pictures

sandlapper_rose
16 years ago

For all the members, here are some Springtime pictures from my yard. I hope some other members will share pictures as well. I just love Spring flowers!

Pansies

{{gwi:1255191}}

Other Springtime Blossoms

Winter Sowing

{{gwi:340252}}

{{gwi:340256}}

{{gwi:340258}}

{{gwi:340254}}

Jeanne

Comments (58)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

This is the hillside behind my house. This is literally only 1/3 of the bushes that used to be there - hubby has been clearing them out, they've just taken over! It's beautiful when they are in full bloom, but they really needed thinned. :O)
    They haven't quite hit their peak yet...in a few more days, they will be fully in bloom.

{{gwi:1255211}}

{{gwi:1255212}}

• amybabyboy3
    16 years ago

Melissa, That is so pretty! That would be a really cute background for pictures of your kids. There is a lady that lives up here by me that has a photography studio at her home and on her website I saw that in the spring she takes really cute pictures of children with that kind of background. I remember seeing a cute picture of your family that you posted and thought about that. Amy

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Bunny, I bet all those Forsythia bushes look like sunshine on your hillside. They are so pretty!

Anemone blanda

Saturn Peach

Cameo Japanese Quince

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Oops! Sorry about that super large photo.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Amy, that is a great idea! I hadn't thought about that...I will do that this week, if the weather clears up (it's been raining nonstop since Thursday! Ick!) The forsythia are in full bloom now, so they are looking very pretty.

Poison! So good to see you!! You've been hibernating all winter! LOL
    You always have the most gorgeous flowers to show us...I love that quince! Wow, the color is very unique & pretty.

I'll post some pictures in a day or 2. The batteries in my camera are dead (a certain little 4 year old girl has been practicing her photography...!), so I'll have to round up some new ones.

Please Keep posting, everyone! These pictures are fantastic! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

A few new pictures...I know they're just regular spring flowers, but this is my first year growing tulips...so I'm excited! It's the little things....LOL

This is the 2nd iris I've had that bloomed this way. Last year, I had one in a different bed that did the same thing. Someone (diene, maybe?) pointed out that maybe it was planted too deep, but that one was on top of the soil. THIS one, maybe, is planted too deep. it's got about an inch of mulch on top. Could that be it? Or are iris's like tulips, in that the longer chill period they have, the large they grow?? Hmmm..

{{gwi:1255218}}

I can't wait to see what these turn out to be! I bought the plants at Lowe's last year, for only a quarter! 2 plants, and they've spread to this!
    {{gwi:1255220}}

Here's a white crocus in the middle of purple ones...don't know how that happened...
    {{gwi:1255221}}

{{gwi:1255223}}

And a daffy in the middle of the tulips. The girls must've helped me plant that one!

{{gwi:1255224}}

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Melissa, I have some "lily plants" just like your unknown and when I moved it I found the tag lol. Mine are Asiatic Lily's, they look just like that, like the top of a frilly pinneapple almost.

Such beautiful flowers everyone has. I am soo excited about Spring this year and all the buds that are popping out of everything here. Gonna have to keep my camera handy thats forsure.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Pixie, I do think you're right!! :O) I swiped them off the clearance shelf last year, at the end of summer...when everything was either dead, dying or fried to a crisp. (I'm a sucker for neglected plants! Bought an AV at WM last week, for 10 cents!! With one leaf!! LOL)

Hmmmm....Now, the fun part (and hardest part!) will be waiting to see what color they are!! Oooohh! :O)

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

Wow! all these pictures are gorgeous! I can't wait to post some too.
    Poisondartfrog, I love that saturn peach.
    Hazelnutbunny, that crocus is glorious! I just love crocus. I think the sqirrels ate mine, but I may have to plant more now that I see yours blooming.LOL
    Sandlapper rose, I love your wintersowing system. I haven't tried it yet. I have always been kind of chicken. hehehe...
    Great PIctures everyone. I sure needed pretty flowers today. Thanks for sharing. L.

• wynative
    16 years ago

Melissa ~ I agree with Pixie, I am guessing that your unknown are Asiatic Lily's. But I am soooo jealous! I planted like 30 of them 2 years ago and they haven't spread hardly at all :( Thats what happens when I choose to live in a chilly climite - have to wait longer for things to fill in.

Okay this is the only 'spring' bulbs that I have taken pic's of outside - they are Tree Lily's. I have quite a few of them but I only put them in last year and don't know what color they will be.
    {{gwi:1255226}}

and these are some of tulips from a swap that I forced that are on my desk right now :)
    {{gwi:1255228}}

Ya, I know that it is cheating but I don't like to wait for the good stuff!

Marie

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody,

Here is a pic of my new Greenhouse with my very first ever tulips I just planted around it.

Love everyones pics, you all are so talented with your gardens and stuff.

Susan

{{gwi:1255229}}

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

A geranium bloom we overwintered along with my little tulip :O Kim

{{gwi:29859}}

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oooh, Susan!! That is a gorgeous green house!! I'm "green" with envy!! LOL (stop rolling your eyes!!) :O) Seriously, I love it!!

Don't feel bad, Marie...I forced some tulips AND hyacinth bulbs this winter!! LOL I don't like to wait, either!! :O)

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

I am not very good at this but am going to try to share a few pics.........I certainly enjoy looking at all of yours!

Louisiana Wild Iris

Salmon colored Amaryllis

Peppermint Amaryllis

Star Bush (Illicium Floridanum)

Red Amaryllis

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WOW Mimib BEAUTIFUL flowers, I love them. Your Iris' and Amaryllis' are sooo pretty! I love the Star Bush!!! Your tipsy pots are awesome too!!! Thank you for sharing them with us. I have an ammy ready to bloom that I just took a picture of a bit ago but will wait til it blooms to post. They are sooo pretty!!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Everyone's photos are so wonderful! I finally have blooms to show from here.
    My border of Iris reticulata is starting to look really nice.

Here's a close up of a clump of blue ones.

Remy

• amybabyboy3
    16 years ago

I took a few pictures today!

and one of my silly little guys!!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ooh, Mimi!! Those Amarylis!! Woo-wee, those are perty!!! :O)

REMY!! I am in love with your blue iris!!! I love iris!!! Did ya know Shirley has 118 of 'em?? LOL!! :O) *wink*

AMY! You have gorgeous flowers, too!! And that last one...What's the latin name for that one??! lol He's a keeper..what a cutie!! :O)

Keep sharing, girls! I'm loving everyone's gardens!! I can't wait for summer!! Yay!!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Gorgeous photos! I love the pure blues in the Iris reticulata and those wonderful pansies! I have never tried Amaryllis outdoors. Those are beauts!
    Here are some of yesterday's favorites in my garden:

Daffodil, Tahiti

Tulip, Douglas Baader

Wintered over Gerbera in the gh

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Love everyone's pics, beautiful flowers..thanks for sharing! Here's a few pics of what is blooming in my garden at the moment...

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Mmm, Mmm! Poison, you always have such gorgeous flowers! I love that daff! :O)

Astilbe! Those are beautiful daffs, too!
    How do you girls do it?? :O)

• wynative
    16 years ago

Wow! Beautiful flowers!! Remy - Love! your iris.

Here is my latest 'Spring' picture:
    {{gwi:1255255}}

Where oh where has our Spring gone? I have to keep checking everyone's pictures to give me hope!

Spring Time in Wyoming

It's spring time in Wyoming and the gentle breezes blow
    Seventy miles an hour
    At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Wyoming when the snow's up to your butt
    Take a breath of spring
    And your nose freezes shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
    So I guess I'll hang around
    I could never leave Wyoming
    'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

Happy Spring and stay warm!

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

lol Marie, we don't have any snow at the moment, but we're in a winter blizzard warning late today, tonite and tomorrow, and then my yard will look just like yours, again! It isnt so cold though. (36 right now) Love the poem!
    Karen

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

Marie, I LOVE your poetry! I don't think these old bones of mine could take that cold. Guess that's why we moved South. All of the flowers that you guys are growing are just awesome. What a variety. Please keep posting them. It really brightens my day to look at this thread.

Here is a shot of one of my Azaleas.

Cross Vine (Not everyone appreciates this very invasive critter but I love its blooms)

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

Pixie, you noticed my "Tipsy Pots" in another shot. In the background with the Azalea there is another one. I love making those goofy things. Can't remember if it was Trash to Treasure or Garden Junk forums that showed me how.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I so love to look at all ya'lls beautiful flowers!!!!

Mimib1, you solved a problem for me lol. I talked to a friend today and she said "I know what your iris is!!!" I had seen your wild LA iris but didn't put 2 and 2 together until this morning. I was having trouble figuring out what kind of iris I had and your LA Iris is exactly what mine is!!! WHOOOHOOO Thank you!!! I do love the tipsy pots, I have a couple that I have just put back out. They are so fun!

Well here are some of my blooms. I have posted the DL's on other threads but oh well here they are again.

Ice Cream Whip DL

Red and White Amaryllis

Peach Hibiscus

Veronica Lake Hosta

yellow DL (I think Cold Harbor)

Smiles,
    Pixie

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    I'm really enjoying this thread! I love seeing all the beautiful colors and the poem is outrageous!!!...LOL.

Amy your "silly little guy" is a very handsome young man!

Bunny - nothing special on my part with the daffs, they're
    just one of the few plants I've managed(so far)to keep alive!LOL...They've multiplied alot since I planted them in the fall.

Wy - hope your weather clears up really soon! They're giving 30s for lows and 50s for highs here this weekend, that will be hard to take after todays high of 76.

Hope everyone has a great gardening day!...Marylee

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love the pictures that everyone is posting. Here are a few more from my neck of the woods.

A Clematis in bloom:
    {{gwi:1255266}}

Wisteria
    {{gwi:1255268}}

Chamomile - I winter sowed the seeds and the plant is already blooming!
    {{gwi:1255272}}

Pea Vines - This is the first time I have sowed pea seeds and gotten pea pods. They are tiny, but coming along.
    {{gwi:1255273}}

Will post more when somthing new is in bloom!
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Everyone's gardens are looking great and so far ahead of here! Well, except Marie.
    Marie,
    Holy cow, I don't know how you can take it! Great peom though. Did you write it?

Amy,
    Your boy is quite a cutie!

Alana,
    I love that unusual gerber daisy.

Astilbe,
    I'm jealous all my daffs are so far behind yours.

Jeanne,
    That is a wonderful Clematis.
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

I sure have enjoyed seeing everyones beautiful pictures.
    Here is what is blooming in the South but May be bitten after tonight.
    Foam Flower

Tulips

Candytuft

More tulips

Tulips 'Shirley"

Granddaughter Brittney in front of my Red Bud tree

Shirley

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ooh, Shirley!! We're gonna have to get you a big stick, too!! LOL Such perty girls everyone has!! :O)

And I love that tulip with the variegated foliage! That's different, I don't think I've seen one like that before!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Shirley,
    Your granddaughter is gorgeous! I love the red bud too. Red Bud remind me of the time Gary and I drove to Florida this time of year. It was beautiful sunny day down your way, and the mountains were full of red buds and some other plant blooming white. It was one of the prettiest things I've ever seen.
    Remy

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Melissa........don't even think about it!

Thats been on my list since the 1st bloom! lol

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

You wanna duke it out, Miss Sassy? I'm ready fer ya!! LOL :O)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

LOL! Me thought you was da bunny! Lovin' that pic!

(I need an energy source! lol)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I is da bunny! I'll swipe those flowers from underneath ya faster than you can finish your nuts! LOL :O)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Girl, if we don't stop this........somes gonna be thinkin' its real! We should take it to PP. LOL! which won't be for long cause I have to go to bed. (But you not gettin' my flowers nor Remy's nuts!)

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I have really enjoyed being able to see what everyone is growing and what is blooming. Things here seem late this season, the forsythia just started to bloom in our town and I have a few daffs.

SOo many drool worthy plants, thanks so much everyone for sharing !! It makes the rest of us know "its coming" and takes away the blues...and makes ME want to run to the greenhouse and BUY BUY BUY...LOL

Sassy, it is SOO nice to see you on the forums again, I have missed ya. I still owe you something also.

You all have AMAZING gardens, and flowers !!

• wynative
    16 years ago

Finally! Wyoming is getting some warm weather! Sunday's high was almost 70 :)! I played in my flower beds till it got to dark to see. I planted all kinds of seeds and only have just a small portion of one of my lily beds left to remove the early grass from. I can't believe how many of my lilys came back this year after the #^$&^%@ moles got into them last year.

I have a spring flower!
    {{gwi:1255282}}

This is the first to bloom and I almost missed it because it blended with the snow!

Everyones tulips are beautiful! Great colors!

Remy ~ I LOVE your Iris Reticulata - both colors! When my iris are are in bloom I can show you the colors I have and maybe you would trade me some? Please....

Jeanne - very nice clematis!

dito on what flwrs4ever stated!
    You all have AMAZING gardens, and flowers !!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Wow! Marie has a flower!!
    *gasp*
    LOL

And you can see the dirt!! No snow!! Wow!! :O) So happy for you, Marie!!!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Marie,
    You have a Crocus!!! Yea! : )
    The iris foliage get long to feed the bulbs and then it dies back, so I'm not sure what time that is, June? maybe, but we can figure something out once that happens.

Sassy/Melissa,
    You two are too funny with the animal pics. I don't know where you find them all.
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Marie-I love that little lone flower and it looks like your frogs are excited about it too.

Shirley

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

My Amaryllis have gone nuts this year. I must have about 15 or 20 in various stages of bloom. Some are very old (like me!) and others are babies that I have raised from seed.

Here is another wild LA iris. I found him in my woods near a swampy area.

This Maroon LA iris came from a friend's place outside Lafayette in the Atchafalaya Basin. He doesn't like to have his feet as wet as the others. (and more Ammys!!!)

And for those of you who love storm clouds like I do.......I took this shot from my back porch on Grand Isle, LA........

• wynative
    16 years ago

Mimi - WOWWWW!! That is a totally AWSOME picture of sun set! Your Amaryllis is so vibrant - wish I could put mine in the ground. I started a few from seed and now they are taking over my office.

Remy - ya about June they should be ready - I will let ya know.

Melisa - yes, my frogs get excited about new blooms just like I do. LOL Seeing them in pictures, I guess I need to give them a make-over... Winter was hard on them.

Marie

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

Marie, when mine are suffering the incredible heat of summer, yours will be rewarding you with beautiful blooms.

I have been away from gardenweb for the better part of a year. I neglected all of my gardens and was feeling so lost and alone since the passing of my best friend and husband of 44 years. He worked with me planting, weeding, babying, and appreciating all of their beauty. This Spring, they came up in spite of me and reminded me that he expects me to go on. Visiting the thread showing all of your lovely families and looking at the shots of kids and beautiful blooms on this thread is so wonderful.

My precious DH knew how much I loved watching storm clouds develop and I am sure that he put in a special request with you know who to give me the opportunity for that one.

Gardenweb has the most wonderful group of people and I am glad I came back.
    Brenda

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

Hey, I finally learned how to post pics ( with some help from my friends at the brugsmansia forum) so Watch out now!

Just to get you started.....

My lady banks rose last week
    {{gwi:481016}}

my Les Murtaugh Camellia
    {{gwi:1255176}}

My Margaret Davis Camellia
    {{gwi:1255176}}
    {{gwi:1255177}}

And My George Tabor azalea
    {{gwi:1255179}}

• wynative
    16 years ago

Ibar,
    Your Lady rose is beautiful - yellow is my favorite color for roses. You wouldn't know it by what I have - red, red and more red...
    Brenda,
    I am so sorry for your loss but I am happy to have you back! My parents are both gone and I have a small bed that my daughter & I plant annuals in each year for them. Some times more for my Father, some times more for my Mom and some times a little of both. They were both lover's of growing things (mostly kids - LOL - there are 17 of us - 5 real and 12 adopted!) I am alway on the hunt for perenals with their names - Jack is easy but Mom's given name was Sylvania shortened to Vanie, I am not having much luck there! :) Her favorite plants were Iris and Clematis. I have lots of Iris and my daughter babying along 2 Clematis with not much luck. I have some Angel Clematis seeds that I am trying to start, they aren't up yet but I am keeping my fingers crossed. If I get enough to grow up I plan to cover a fence with them and make a permantent 'Loved Ones' garden.

Oh, I just thought of something! llbean made a garden item out of an old light bulb - I could do a couple of them out of Sylvania ones! That would get my Mom's name in there, wouldn't it! LOL

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Marie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

WOOO HOOO i finally know what tabor's azalea will look like assuming we can get it to go!! LOL :')) WOW ya'll have such beautifull flowers!! ohmygoodness!! our daffs have bloomed but the kiddo's keep bringin them in so i can put them in my hair, i suppose to help bueatify me!! LOL i'll post some pics if i can remember!! LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I am so excited to finally have some blooms in my garden! It has been a long cold winter and everything has been slow to pop but finally I have some color coming! Yay!

• wynative
    15 years ago

Look what bloomed for me this morning!
    {{gwi:1255308}}

I have been watering my Amaryllis since November and finally I am being rewarded! I purchased a 'Christmas White' and it was the only one to bloom for me at Christmas time - it now has another bud!! I am keeping my fingers cross that the others will be showing themselves off pretty soon.

Tracy - I love your orange Daffy!

Happy Wednesday to all,
    Marie