Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
March/April FOTESS Round Robin Poetry Swap!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 13:28

Hi Everyone, and welcome to the Friends of the Earth - Simple Swap for March. During March and April, we're going to do a Poetry Round Robin!

But first, FOTESS is a group that requires membership. We emphasize being friendly to the earth by sharing seeds, recycling, upcycling and sharing what we have read and enjoyed. If you are interested in becoming a member, contact Jeanne or myself.

Some of you may remember the Poetry Swap we did last April. I think everyone enjoyed it and we discovered that many of our members are good poets!

I'd like to try a variation of that theme this year and host a Poetry Round Robin. Many thanks to Jeanne for "donating" her month of March, so that we would have time to complete a true round robin.

Here's what would happen:
1. I'll post the first two lines of the poem on the swap site.

2. Then I'll send:
a, The first two lines of the poem,
b, 1 pack of seeds,
c. The list of instructions and the addresses
to the first person in line.

3. When that person receives the package, she will:
a. Remove the seeds and put them in her stash,
b. Post on the site that she received,
c. Write the next two lines of the poem,
d. Post the ENTIRE poem on the swap site
e. Cross her name off the list,
f. Mail the ENTIRE poem, 1 pack of seeds, the list of instructions and addresses on to the next person on the list.

I hope everyone can understand this! I would love to see LOTS of our members joining in on this, BUT in order for this to work, when you sign up, YOU MUST BE COMMITTED TO SENDING OUT YOUR PACKAGE WITHIN A DAY OR TWO OF RECEIVING!!

The order in which we mail will always be posted here on the site. I'll be keeping a close watch on all proceedings!

It should be fun and interesting to see what direction the poem takes, with all of us working on it!

Signups are until March 13th; I'll start the poem on it's way on the 14th. The swap will be finished when the poem has made it's way to all players and back to me, hopefully by the end of April. If not, we'll just keep on playing and writing until it's completed!

I'm going to use a legal sized envelope and 2 forever stamps to mail out. No DC required. Use your own judgement on how to mail.

If anyone would like to organize a game, bless you, I know I'm not going to have time. Just post here if you would like to do that!

Okay, I think I've covered everything. Any questions, concerns? Let me know!

Anybody up for writing some poetry?!
We'd love to have you join in!
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: March/April FOTESS Round Robin Poetry Swap!

I'm in. This is fun and the cost is great. I think the cost of postage is keeping so many members away from the swaps. Keeping it simple yet fun is going to help. Thanks Shirley. I am looking forward to watching the poem grow.

Margo

o

Oh, I like this one! I will probably just have time for one this month. I think I will do this one rather than the MNF's one.
Sign me up, please!
Alana

o

Sounds great! I am not much of a poet, but I want to be included anyway.
Jeanne

o

I'm not much of a poet either, but, this sounds like too much fun to pass up. Sign me up!

Super idea Shirley!

vina

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 21:54

Hey! Welcome Margo, Alana, Jeanne and Vina! Glad you all could join in!

I seem to recall, in last year's poetry swap, almost everyone who joined said that they weren't much of a poet. And I seem to recall a very beautiful poem by Vina, a touching poem by Jeanne about her grandsons, and I still have Margo's posted on my frig-very concise, and humerous! And lots of other great poems too. HMMMM?!

Jeanne, you can disregard my email - looks like you got the problem solved!!

Well, I need to get to bed. I only work 5 hours a day and if I get there at 8, I can leave at 1! Getting there at 8 is the tricky part, because I tend to stay up very late!

Have a great week, All!
Shirley!

o

I'm in!
To say I'm a poet is like saying Rapping is music. There's an argument for it and an argument against it! I can do 2 lines, though! Fun, fun!

Heidi

o

I think I'll try my hand at this! Sounds like alot of fun! Melinda

o

Shirley,

Count me in! Another fun idea!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

I'd like to join this one also :)

o

Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 19:26

WOW!! how great to see everyone joining in!
Welcome Heidi, Melinda, Annie and Diane!

And some more good news: we have a new member! Would you all please welcome long time GWer Ruthz/Ruth!? And she's in time to join in this swap, if she would like to. Hopefully, she'll be on here shortly to tell us all about herself! Welcome to FOTESS, Ruth!

Heidi, actually, I kind of like some Rap music, the music, not the lyrics, which leave a lot to be desired by this 64 year old! Jayzee's music, especially his early stuff, was quite good. Shame about the lyrics. But is he still considered a Rapper?

Margo, have you seen the DakotaReveille Gaillardia? It is BEAUTIFUL! looks like a red and yellow pompom, quite different!

And I thought of a game!! YIPPEE!! I know, I know, I said I don't have time, but I never have time, and stuff gets done anyway and this game could be fun, so we'll do it!!
It's called: "Tell Us Something We Don't Already Know" One of the other swaps did this, I think. In any event, we'll start the game right after signups and you can all be thinking of something that you haven't already told us about yourself! Just DON'T post it here!

Until tomorrow! Maybe. I might be back!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 23:20

I'm looking forward to being part of this group.
And yes, I would like to join this swap.

My name is Ruth and I've been a GW member since 2001. I grew up in NW Georgia and lived on Hilton Head Island and in Nashville before moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area about 30 years ago. I find gardening in Texas more challenging than other places I’ve lived due to the heat and drought. I have a couple of raised beds and I'm working on improving the soil in a couple of other beds.
I plant a variety of things, but especially like daylilies, Japanese Morning glories, roses, herbs and peppers. I do a lot of container gardening. Seems easier to keep containers watered in the hotter months.
I love all books/magazines, but mystery/suspense is what I read most.
We recycle cans, newspapers, scrap metal, batteries, and other items. Fort Worth has a large facility that takes many items.
I use milk jugs and recycled pots for winter sowings.
This may have been done already, but an idea for a swap might be to include a favorite recipe with seeds and/or an ingredient called for in the recipe.

o

sounds like wonderful fun!!!! Count me in!!!!!

o

Welcome Ruth!
Oh boy. Which one of my secrets to reveal?

o

Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 8:07

Good Morning!
Hi Robin, and welcome to the swap!

Ruth, I like mysteries too, especially the older writers

Careful, Alana! Some things NOBODY needs to know! And what if your kids are lurking on the site? AGGHH!!

Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Hooray! My ability to post on GardenWeb has finally improved. I hope it doesn't revert to its misbehavior.

Welcome Ruth! You will enjoy this wonderful group of gardeners - they are so creative and caring.

Jeanne

o

Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 19:05

Good news, Jeanne, did you find out what was causing the problem?

Well, we didn't get that 5 inches of snow they were predicting, but from the looks of the sky tonight, we might just be getting it tomorrow!

Ruth, are you WSing this winter? I have to get mine done, before it all turns into spring sowing! I don't have any sprouts yet, but it's still early. Jeanne, I know you said you were doing some WSing, is anyone else?

Should probably go do the dishes.
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Hey, this sounds like fun... sign me up. Peggy

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 22:36

I wintersowed 63 containers this year. They don't seem to be doing as good as usual, but I do have some sprouts.
I did get a late start so maybe that's the reason.

o

Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 22:53

Hi Peggy, glad you could join in this month!

I think there are about 50 milk jugs out there. I didn't WS very many perennials this year, did lots of petunias and pansies-gotta have pansies! Did most of them in January, but did some on the Solstice too.

We have a really good group signed up so far, it looks like the poem will be traveling all over the country!
Margo - Ohio
Alana - Kentucky
Jeanne - South Carolina
Vina - New York
Heidi - Nebraska
Melinda - Arizona
Annie - California
Diane - Alabama
Ruth - Texas
Robin - Virginia
Peggy - Washington
Me - Michigan

Did I miss anyone?
And did I get all the states right?

Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

LOL...this is going to be some poem!! And Shirley is starting it...very interesting!!

Lots of sprouts on my WS children...more to do tomorrow!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 8:24

Annie, it should be VERY interesting!

Can anyone think of a word that rhymes with March?
Or April?

HELP!!
Shirley!

o

I'll join in on this poem too. Who knows we might end up famous for our poem!!! lol

o

Welcome Ruth and hello to alot of the others that I don't know very well. But so excited to learn more about each as time goes on!
I live in Arkansas by the way! Alot of people make that mistake! lol!
I too am looking forward to this poem! It should be very humorous!
Have a nice day to all! I'm still wintersowing some things. I did 42 yesterday and have about 150 plus already done. I am doing some older seeds also to see what happens. I feel if I can get one or 2 to grow better than throwing away. But we have been alot warmer this year than normal, so not sure how it's going to go. I'm putting some of my perennials in refrigerator and will bring them out in 6 weeks and then plant. Hope that will work on some of them! Doesn't hurt to try!
Melinda

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:45

Hey, everybody, just a heads up, my computer moniter is blacking out on me, so if I don't come back on tonight, that's the reason. Sorry!

Welcome Suzanne, glad you could join us!

Sorry, Melinda, I always get those two states confused!

Wish me luck with the computer!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, hope your monitor stops blacking out.

Rhyming words I found on line

arch
starch

although no exact rhyme for April

maple
staple

Those are tough.

o

Please add me to the mix (another 'non' poet); I've been absent for too long.
I'd like to say hello to all of our new members...welcome!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 12:24

Ruth, welcome to the group. I enjoyed trading with you last year. I'm not doing any trading this year.

Welcome back jaynine!

Still thinking whether or not I will have time to join. So much going on inside & out this spring including moving to another home here at camp. Twenty years of stuff to simplify... Seeds may get packed away in the process.

Corrine

o

Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 19:23

Hey, Everyone, I'm back,complete with a new moniter!

That was the weirdest thing, the moniter just started blacking out on me. I thought the computer was crashing, major anxiety! But I didn't lose anything except the monitor, which was bad enough,considering the price. My SIL who is an IT person, says they don't go bad very often and he's never had one go bad. For once he wasn't too much help! But all is well now, thank goodness!

Welcome Suzanne and Jaynine!! Good to see you both, and don't worry, if you listen to everyone who has joined, we don't have any good poets in this group, but I know better!! The idea is to just have fun with it!

Corrine, hope you can join in but I remember moving, and it's really a chore. If you can find the time, please join us!

Well, I need to eat dinner and then put the CD in and see what this moniter can do!
Talk to ya all later!
Oh, Margo, thanks for the help! I'm going to try those words, but I have a feeling I'm going to do some major re-writing!
Shirley!

o

Sorry to hear about your monitor, Shirley. Our computer was acting up a few weeks ago and it was a big concern, but my husband got it squared away. Since others have had problems with GardenWeb, I don't think that was the same issue.
Finally a nice day here! I just planted 5 more winter sowing jugs. I have about 50 this year which is about half of what I usually do, but I will start to sow annuals and tomatoes in jugs soon. I do that as we get a little further into March. I get so frustrated about the voles killing so many of my plants that I am just starting to observe which ones they leave alone and think I will try to stick with those. (An outdoor cat sounds like such a good idea, but I don't think my husband will go for having an indoor and an outdoor cat.)
Have a good weekend!
Jeanne

o

Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 20:34

Hi Everyone, just checking in. We have a few more days for signups. AND we have 14 members playing this month! How great is that? This poem is really going to be making the rounds!

Hopefully, I'll get some more WSing done this weekend. It's supposed to be in the low 50s! I start my annuals in April, hope to do lots more this year.

Have a great weekend, All, talk to ya tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 18:34

Hi, just checking in!

We still have 2-3 days for signups. Would love to see more poets joining in!

Have a great week, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 21:16

Thought you all might like to read Margo's poem from the April 2012 swap:

I tend to save every seed.
Most of which I do not need.
I grab them here, I grab them there,
I'm always harvesting everywhere!

My kids say "Mom, not again!"
If I'll ever stop, I know not when
Though this package to you I send,
My days of saving will never end!

Quite good, I thought!

Two more days to signup, all of you lurking poets!
Have a great Tuesday!
Shirley!

o

March-starch, parch(ed) ...thirsty
April rhyme-I like neighbor, tapering, vapor. It's like a freudian slip...I call it a freudian rhyme. Shirley probably knows the correct name for it...something like, "Wrong!"

Heidi
I have been so sick. Glad you can't catch any sickness from me over the internet!

o

Shirley, can't believe you saved that poem. LOL

When my kids were small, I used to start talking or making up songs in rhyme. They loved it. I wrote some poems years ago and put them in a folder with a wish to write a book some day. Now I am going to see if I can find that folder. Not to write that book but to just read them and see what I wrote.

Looking forward to the start of this swap, it is going to be tons of fun.

Margo

o

Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 20:59

Margo, it's still hanging on my frig, along with all the other stuff I can't bear to part with! Getting kinda crowded!

Heidi, wondered where you were! Hope you get to feeling better, no, really, you are up fairly quickly in the poem's flight rotation and I'd like you to be at your best! Please!?

And freudian rhyme sounds good to me!

I'm all set to start the poem on it's way Thursday! I'll be posting the flight path tomorrow.

And Everyone? In the interests of my sanity, I'm not including addresses on the flight path. If you need the updated membership list, please get in touch with Jeanne or any member that you think may have the address you want. Thanks!

I'll talk to ya all tomorrow,
And we'll get this underway.
Start your poetic thoughts
and have a real nice day!

Oh Lord, here we go again!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 19:42

It's time for the FOTESS Round Robin Poem to start flying! Hope you are all ready to write!

Here's the Robin's flight path:

1. Shirley/sjc48 will send the first two lines of the poem to Peggy/canfan in Washington.

2. Peggy will send to Heidi/xiangirl in Nebraska, who will start the next verse.

3. Heidi will send to Annie/canyonwind in California.

4. Annie will send to Ruth/ruthz in Texas, who will start the next verse.

5. Ruth will send to Melinda/ilovefarac in Arkansas.

6. Melinda will send to Dianne/moonfire, who will start the next verse.

7. Dianne will send to Jeanne/sandlapper_rose in South Carolina.

8. Jeanne will send to Alana in Kentucky, who will start the next verse.

9. Alana will send to Robin in Virginia.

10. Robin will send to Vina/flowergirl134 in New York, who will start the next verse.

11. Vina will send to Janine/jaynine in Connecticut.

12. Janine will send to Suzanne/hibiscusfan in Ohio, who will start the next verse.

13. Suzanne will send to Margo/smitties in Ohio, who gets to finish the poem and send it back to me!

And what are you sending, in the event you've forgotten?

When you receive the poem you will add the next two lines and send the entire poem, a pack of seeds and the list of instructions on to the next person on the flight path!

Your portion of the poem can be computer generated, typewritten or hand written, your choice!

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU SHOULD GET THE ROBIN FLYING AGAIN WITHIN 1-2 DAYS OF RECEIVING!.

The theme for the poem is: Spring is Coming!

Peggy, the poem, seeds and list of instructions will be on it's way to you tomorrow! I'm mailing in a legal size envelope with, probably, 2 forever stamps.

Have I forgotten anything? Let me know!

I can hardly wait to see what happens with this poem!

Oops, almost forgot! Here are the first two lines!

"A HAZE OF GREEN AND LONGER DAYS,
WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF RAIN!"

Have fun, Folks!

Shirley!

o

Oh boy, I am last. Oh the wait!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the creativity of all of you. Thanks for hosting Shirley. It is such a great idea.

Margo

o

OK... I'm on the lookout for the mailing - this is going to challenge me and my rhyming skills....

o

Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:21

Margo, I wanted a strong finish for the poem! Not that I know what that means! Or even how to rhyme it!

Peggy, the Poem is in flight! I also included Heidi's address.

It's a beautiful sunny day here, but cold as you know what! I hope it stays sunny for the weekend, I need to get out to State Park with the camera!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 22:31

Hi Ladies,
Just dropping in to say hi. Seems I totally missed the sign-up date for this one, but perhaps its for the best. Taking another class; work has me swamped as its the start of the field season; my dear grandmother passed away, and trying to keep up and get ramped up for spring gardening. Sigh... I'm permanently pooped these days, both physically and mentally. I will try to stop by and see how the poem goes. No doubt it will be tons of fun.
ttfn, Katie

o

Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 7:58

Good Morning!
We've missed you, Katie, yes, please stop in and visit, give helpful hints and cheer us on!
So sorry about your grandma.

It's Friday. Nuff said!
Have a great day!
Shirley!

o
oh duh!

Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 8:01

Katie, how bout this?
We could add you on to the end of the flight path, which would put you at receiving somewhere in the middle of April, at which time maybe things would be lots calmer for you, so let me know!

Love those mile long sentences!
Shirley!

o

Katie, prayers for your Grandmother.......

Master Shirley will put you Miss Katie at the end of this path of flight,
Come play with the poets of FOTESS, even though your time is tight!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Please join us if you can, Katie, and so sorry to hear about your grandmother.
A long distance hug,
Jeanne

o

Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 19:58

If Jeanne and Annie
Have their way-
Katie will be playing
within the day!

Okay, okay, I thought if Annie could post a short poem, so could I. The rest of you can join in with rhymes and such, whenever the mood strikes you! Good one, Annie!

As soon as we hear from Peggy, I'll post the game.
Remember, for the game, you all have to come up with something about yourself that you've never mentioned on GW before. DON"T post it here!

YAY, it's the weekend!
Shirley!

o

I haven't been on in awhile. 1. I'm still sick. (Whine, whine, sniff). No, don't give me any sympathy. Just tell me to suck it up and get on with it. They say it takes 3 weeks to get over it and I believe it. I'm into week 2 and still sleeping up to 18 hours a day. Medical clinic is no longer testing anyone for anything--just pushing them through the revolving door. I got antibiotics and can stay awake for a few hours so I'm on the mend! Half the town has it and I know people from 4 states that have it so it's not just me.
I can still do mail, though! This will give me something fun to look forward to and to test my rhyming skills.
I went outside and my fall-planted pulsatilla came up! I'm so excited! Spring fever! Yeah! Not a single green strand for winter sowing, but that's the breaks. They all got a little sip of water today since we're so dry. Maybe that will excite the little seeds. We've had daylight savings time and 2 days of 70 degree weather so everyone is outside!

What fun!
Heidi

o

Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 20:34

Oh poor Heidi, how terrible for....oops, sorry, I meant:
Suck it up, Heidi, and get on with it!!

Seriously, hope you get to feeling better soon! Good news about your pulsatilla - what in the world is it?

Probably something very common, right?

I've got 15 milk jugs prepped and ready to go, first thing in the morning. Then everything else is on the waiting list for warrmer days in April. I didn't realize I had so many, got lots of good stuff from the Commercial seed swap.

Once again, Later!
Shrley!

o

Feel better Heidi! The next two months are going to be crazy for me - planting seeds indoors, seminars, classes, work, etc. Have fun everyone, and hopefully I'll be able to join in the next one!

Mandy

o

Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 23:32

Ok, Ladies, Master Shirley has snuck me in at the end

Heidi, I caught a cold on Feb 12 and didn't get rid of it for >3 weeks, which is very atypical for me. It lingered on forever :/ (grumble)

Limericks are my favorite types of poems. So here's a quick one -

I had some specific needs
to replace some invasive weeds.
So I joined up with FOTESS,
and received the mostest
incredible native plant seeds.

Katie
PS, thanks to you all for your sympathies.

o

Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 8:54

YAY! Margo, now you don't have to wait until the very end!

I know, I know, but at least you aren't last!

Whoa, Katie, that's really good!

Got the last of my WSing done. I swear, it's the last! Running out of WS time here! Did Crego Asters, astillbe, yarrow, buddleia Black Knight and some others.

It's snowing here today. If it keeps up, it should be really pretty, but it's supposed to quit around 10.

Have a great weekend, everybody!
Shirley!

o

I'm checking the mail daily.. have been working on my part of the poem.... weather here in central wa is beautiful... low 60's but that is going to change..rain is on the way. Garden is too muddy yet to get in there and do anything..purchased corned beef and cabbage yesterday for tomorrow. Have some fruit in the freezer that I am thinking about canning up but I am not ready to commit myself to that just yet... but soon..haha.. Peggy

o

My husband can't guess
No not a clue
How girls connect flowers
and mail-just the two?

We know the secret.
No boy toy or machine.
No fishing or hunting,
or tackling anything.

We'll keep it quiet
Till you hear us gasp at the tell!
Seeds for us!
We got MAIL!

Thank you all--I'm sucking it up! I watered my bulbs today and everyone drove by, honked and yelled, "It's going to rain. " I told them, "I know. If I DIDN'T water, it wouldn't rain. I'm taking the credit." No drops yet, but we're hopeful.
Heidi

o

Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 21:39

Heidi, that is so funny! I've had that happen!
Good poetry too!

Mandy, good to hear from you, sounds like you have lots going on! Stop by and visit, maybe add a rhyme or two!

Peggy, thanks for checking in. Hopefully, it will be there on Monday. And I have a request: could you explain freezing the fruit and then canning it later? I've never heard of that!

Off to finish printing last year's flower pictures!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:42

Erin go Bragh!
Have a good day!
Shirley!

o

Top of the Morning Forum Friends.. Getting ready to put the Corned Beef in the oven... trying a new recipe where it is baked with just a couple cups of water, garlic, peppercorns and the seed packed. The vegies are roasted separately about an hour before the corned beef is done.

We have to "eat and run" today as our saddle club is serving coffee, cookies at a rest stop this weekend. We are working round the clock in 8 hour shifts. This is a fund raiser (through donations) for the club and provides refreshments for travelers.

Shirley, I have huckleberry's and blueberries that I frozen last year so I could make jam when I have more time. I find that when it "rains it pours" and more fruit comes on that I am able to put up so freezing for later use works really well for me.

o

May the Good Luck and Fortune of the Irish be with you all,
Corned beef, potatoes, cabbage and carrots is the call.
And yes, a nice stout or two or three will go down for sure,
Wouldn't it be lovely to be in Ireland if we all were?

Happy Day....Enjoy, Be Safe and Have Fun!

Annie

o

A tad late, but I loved it!
I looked outside this morning and a cement truck was unloading cement. My dad was filling in my new sidewalk. Onward and upward!
Heidi

photo ifyoufindfourleafclover_zpse6fcf71b.jpg

o

Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 20:01

Thanks for the info, Peggy! I didn't know you could do that.

What a nice surprise, Heidi! What is that character's name, should know it! Love the dog!

Annie, you are on your way to being our resident poet! Good job!

It was a very cold, wet, rainy day here today, still raining. And it's supposed to be like this most of the week, Rats!

Hope we hear from Peggy soon!

Have a nice week, anyway!
Shirley!

o

I Got Mail!! (and cosmos seeds-Thank you very much, Shirley)

Spring is on its way!

A haze of green and longer days
and lots and lots of rain
helps Nature work behind the scene as
sunshine pushes through the grey.

... Look out Heidi... here it comes!

o

Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 6:51

Great lines, Peggy! And certainly appropriate to my neck of the woods, as it looks like another day of "grey" with rain and wind!

The Robin is in flight again
So, Heidi, please beware!
As soon as it reaches you
The next two lines you'll share!

It's way too early in the morning for thinking!

Thanks for posting, Peggy
and have a great day, everyone!
Shirley!

o

I was able to post here this evening so thought I should say hello while I can. I can read the posts so if it gets worse, I will e-mail someone and they can post for me. The poems are great and I think the cartoon character is Maxine. Is that right?
Wish I could think of a poem to add, but I'll just say good night. (Although I say "Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite." LOL)
Jeanne

o

Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 7:32

Maxine, that's it, Jeanne!

Happy First Day of Spring, everyone, now if it would warm up a little!

Have a great day, All!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 7:55

Hopefully, we'll hear from Heidi today, with the start of the second verse!

Hope your day is good!
Shirley!

o

Wednesday I got mail, but it was Burger King coupons.
Thursday I got mail, but it was a newspaper.
I'm anxiously waiting. My seeds are prepared.
If it doesn't come soon, I'll get the vapors!

(If I remember right, vapors was one of those things my great-great aunts got half heart-attack, half panic attack without getting their breath!)
I'm not feeling well--sucking it up. Sleeping 12-15 hours a day. Just have to wait and get over it. I'm minding my ps and qs. Drinking fluids. Is there an Easter Grinch? I might be the first! ha
Heidi

o

Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 20:25

Heidi, I'm sure there is an Easter Grinch out there somewhere, no need to bother, just get better!

Hopefully, the Robin will reach you soon. Love the poem, and I'm not sure what vapors are, haven't heard that word in years!

Have a great Friday, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Bit the bullet and went to the doctor. Have another infection...a sinus infection. Now I have a different round of antibiotics. I'm so excited to know I wasn't crazy and that there's something that will help.
Didn't find the Round Robin in the mail today, but I looked. Ever notice that when you're expecting something it takes longer? Murphy's Law!
The retaining wall is done and I wanted to share a photo. It's so beautiful and classy. Started with the removal of a tree and just kept going. Still have concrete work near the street...and then the flowers and the fun stuff!!!!
 photo stonewallcorner_zpse37aad3c.jpg
Heidi

o

Heidi... Hope the new meds will take care of that infection! Re the Round Robin - It has been my experience that for some reason the mail takes the slow route when it is headed east... My son lives in Cheyenne and we plan for at least a week for anything to travel between here and there. BTW Your retaining wall looks awesome!

o

Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 21:15

Good Grief, Heidi! Sure hope the new antibiotics work well for you, you've been sick for quite a while.

The retaining wall looks great! Where did you get all the stone? Looks like a lot of work! Check out all the room you have for flowers!

Peggy, when I mail stuff back to PA to the family, it only takes 2 or 3 days. When they mail out here, it takes 4 to 5, not sure how that works!

I think I was a little optimistic about the timing of this round robin, but we have until the end of April, no need for me to panic just yet!

Game time tomorrow! Has everyone thought of something you've never shared about yourself? Better do it now! Just don't post it here!

Have a great weekend, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

A haze of green and longer days,
And lots and lots of rain!
Helps Nature work behind the scene
As sunshine pushes through the gray.
Upwards pass the tender tulips
Companion of the daffodil

It came! I'm so excited. Thank you, Peggy, for the Mesclun seeds. Mesclun is a mixture of taste, color and texture. 30% Arugula, 10$ Red Russian, 10% Endive, 10% Chervil, 10% Raddichio, 10% Red Romaine 10% Bibb and 10% Salad Bowl Green. (Maybe you all knew that already. This is new for me.)

The rocks for the retaining wall came from Menards. It has been a LOT of work, but so nice and yes, LOTS of room for flowers!

The postmark on Peggy's envelope said 3/13. That's 10 days! I joke with people that we still have the Pony Express out here, but I think that's closer to turtle express.

My daughter turned 13 yesterday and we utilized many of the fun things from the birthday swap.

I'm wrapping up the poem and putting it in an envelope so it can mail out Monday. We'll keep this going!
Heidi

o
game time!!

Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 19:15

Heidi, are you sure you read that postmark right? Peggy mailed the Robin on the 18th or 19th!

Has to be the meds!!
Let us know when you put the Robin in flight again!

In any event, It's time to play the game!!
The game is called: TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T ALREADY KNOW!

And that's all you have to do, at first. Email me and tell me something I (or other members) don't know about you.

DON'T post your "something" here!

You will have until 7pm on Wednesday to email me. Then on Thursday, I'll post all the "somethings" along with a list of game players.

To play, you will have to match a "something" with the right game player! When we reach that point, I'll explain a little further!

To win, you must get the most number of correct matches. Did I say that right?

For right now, email me something I don't already know about you!

Any member of FOTESS can play the game, whether you are in the swap or not, so come on out and join us!

I already have Jeannes something and mine, anyone else wanna play?

Shirley!

o

I love the poem already!

o

"There once was a man from Blackheath,
Who....."
Uh oh. Wrong poetry circle.

I have not checked in lately. I need to get with the program.
Shirley, I will mail my tidbit to you shortly.
Alana

o

Well.. if that is what the post mark says then .... it must be true!! I am involved in a couple of swaps so I could have them mixed up...(what???not again). Love the poem! Heidi, some of the vegies have a bit of bitterness.. esp the Arugula, Endive and Raddichio. So keep that in mind as you are ready to make a salad and head for the garden. I try to make sure that I have the base lettuce (romaine, red/green lettuce) then add the mix for spice and color.

o

Okay, might be the meds. My husband "tidied" my computer area so no telling where the envelope is now. I have the seeds safely stashed, though!
The updated version is now in the mailbox to be picked up tomorrow and continue on.
My mother came to visit when we lived in Wisconsin and he ate salads twice a day. I thought, "I will, too." After 10 days I couldn't look at lettuce again for 10 years. Right now I'm craving it--so those seeds will be great. Oh, the female and the cravings. If only they made sense. I'm trying to figure out what my body really wants-vitamin C, potassium, iron? There's got to be a more scientific reason for lettuce, right? Hey, it's better than craving chocolate--fewer calories.
Heidi
P.S. Meds made a great excuse--I mix things up regularly without them. ha

o

Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 20:20

Heidi, I just hope no one here ever has to see me on sinus medication! Talk about loopy! And none of it helps with the sinus problem!

Alana, come on, what's the rest of that poem?!

Margo, are you back from Cincy safe?

I'm getting some really interesting tidbits for the game! And I just want to say:

Heidi! NO! Really?
Alana-been there!
Katie - no one will ever guess this!
Jeanne - are you getting any rest?
Vina - No way!
Janine - very appropriate for GW!

And with that, I'm outta here!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I just emailed you.

We are back safe. We decided since they were making such an issue of the weather to head to Columbus last night and stay with our son and then head to Cinci this morning early. It would get us home earlier. We left Columbus this morning and just as we hit the Cinci border, the snow started. It was in the mid 30's so it wasn't causing any road problems and the flakes were huge. So pretty. We headed back home and the snow was just wet flurries. There must have been a snow squall along the way because we came across very slow traffic and there was an accident and in a two mile stretch, several cars had slid off the road. The roads were wet and not at all snowy so we thought the squall would have made the most sense. We were just glad whatever it was was over at the time. After that, it was dry the rest of the way. Still nothing here so far but a possibility of 2-4. The wind sure is blowing and coming straight out of the east.

I am so sick of this weather as I am sure everyone else is. I am going to be running/walking a 5k in two weeks and this weather has to stop. I prefer much better temps.

Margo

o

Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 23:00

I, personally, am so sick of the wind that I could cry. In my face to and from work, strange sounds at night, just please go somewhere else and blow!

Sometimes it's good to vent, even if it doesn't make sense.

Got your email, Margo, and all I can say about your tidbit of info is: It's fun, really!

Night All!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:51

I'm in a much better mood now!

Annie, Heidi was supposed to be mailing the Robin out today, be on the lookout for it! Hopefully, she'll let us know.

We didn't get much of that big storm that was supposed to be going thro, to the south of us. Some snow, and of course, high winds, but the snow had all melted by noon.
And it is supposed to be up to 50 by Sunday! Woo Hoo!

Hope everyone had a nice Monday, and a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:52

GW just posted my message twice. And it told me that I didn't post the first one. AAGGGGHHH!

Thank Goodness for the edit feature!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:57

o

I'm loving the poem so far! Just hope I can keep it good when it gets to me! I sent my thing in an email to you Shirley. Let me know if you don't get it! Thanks! Hope all have a great day!

o

Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:09

Melinda, emailed ya!

Annie, the Robin is definitely on it's way to you, let us know when you receive it!

And a reminder! You have until tomorrow nite to join in the game, which is REALLY going to be fun! Email me with your unknow tidbit about yourself!

Almost forgot!
Annie and Melinda? Are you serious?!

Well, gotta go stuff tiny little things/stuff in plastic Easter eggs! Haven't done this in years!

Later,
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:46

o

The poem is sounding lovely!

This Unknown Tidbit game....to funny! This should be very interesting! I do love these kinds of games!!

Hoping the Poetry Robin lands here by Saturday as I am headed out of town for a few days. If Heidi sent this past Monday, it just might make it here by Fri or Sat.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 20:39

Evening Fellow FOTESSers!

Annie, sure hope it gets to you! But we'll deal with whatever happens, don't panic yet!

Well, the deadline for the game has come and gone, and I wiil post the "tidbits" sometime tomorrow.

I think you will really be surprised by all of these! It's going to be a little more difficult than I had planned!

There will be a prize for the person with the most correct answers, and there will be a prize for the person who doesn't get guessed at all, or has the least amount of votes.

Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 22:23

Hi Ladies,
Sorry to have been missing lately. I am oh so swamped at work these days. Then I come home, switch gears, and get swamped all over again with whatever presents itself.

I've really been enjoying the poem, and I have been keeping up with posts (via email) while going to/from work. Can't wait to see the "mystery tidbits" Shirley!

So I saw this tonight and just had to share! It's called Little Free Library. People across the US are putting up little doll house sized, weather proof boxes at their curb or stoop and placing books in them for others to take, swap, exchange, and read. You can check out the website here: Little Free Library (click here)
They even have a map on the website so you can check to see if there is one in your neighborhood. I think this idea is just so sweet. Shouldn't be long before I put one up!

ttfn, Katie

o

Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:05

Okay! Is Everybody ready to play "Tell Me Something I Didn't Already Know"?

Here we go:
I have paired a tidbit with a player, but they are not the right tidbits with the right player.

So, you will have to pair them correctly, ie, 1-B, 3-H, etc
No, those aren't right, at least I don't think they're right.
And you do get one freebie, yeah, yeah, I know, it's your own!

Post your answers here. And because it's Easter weekend, you will have until Thursday to post the correct tidbit with the correct player.

Take your time, some of these are, well, unbelievable! AND!!
POST JUST THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS; DO NOT POST WHO YOU ARE!

1. I'm a secret Royal watcher. A. Annie

2. I hate to fly. B. Suzanne

3. When my husband and I retire, we're going to travel cross county on our motorcycles. C. Melinda

4. I am tatooed. D. Alana

5. I am 11 years older than my DH. E. Katie

6. I don't like cantaloupe. F. Vina

7. I attended a performing arts high school. G. Heidi

8, I have been arrested 2 times. H. Shirley

9. My husband is the only guy I've ever kissed. I. Margo

10. I got kicked off the bus and out of school for breaking a boy's jaw. J. Jeanne

11. A few years ago, I decided to try rapelling to face my fear of heights.....it was mortifying. K. Janine

All righty! Let the games begin!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 22:03

o

All I can say is this is going to be really hard!
Jeanne

o

Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:27

I have a quick question....

So if I post my guesses, wouldn't everyone realize that I would certainly match myself up with my answer correctly, and then know that answer for sure? (did I say that right?)

Yea, this *is* hard!

o

Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 22:09

Thanks Janine and Katie. I just went back and editied the post, but just in case:

POST ONLY THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS; DO NOT POST WHO YOU ARE!

For instance, if I were 1-A, I would post that but would not identify myself.
Am I making any sense at all here?
Let me know if I am still on the wrong track!
Shirley!

o

No Pony Express this time around....The FOTESS Poetry Round Robin has arrived. Heidi, thanks so much for sending Cilantro seeds my way....I love Cilantro and have a terrible time growing it....but I keep trying and trying and trying!

Ruth, the Round Robin is headed your way tomorrow (Friday).

And now for the poem........

Upwards pass the tender tulips,
Companion of the daffodil,
So lovely, but I sigh, there are the evil weeds to dig,
Battle them tomorrow, for now a glass of wine.

And with that, I will have a glass of vino or two and ponder my fellow FOTESSERS and their secrets. As they say, behind closed doors, you never know what really is. And that is what makes the world go around and around and around........and so darn much fUN!

Great game Shirley and I only wish we could all be getting together for a Very Good Friday Happy Hour etc.......

Annie

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 7:49

Good News, Annie!

And an excellent addition to the poem! Especially the part about the wine! I'm breaking open my last bottle of dry white for Easter dinner-don't care if it doesn't go with ham or chicken!

You're battling weeds already? I think I have more windblown trash in my yard right now, rather than weeds; don't know where it's all coming from.

I think it's interesting that no one is actually rhyming the poem, so far. There IS a form of poetry that doesn't rhyme, it's based on "beats", I think that's what it is called. I'll do some research and let ya all know over the weekend.

And Monday, besides being April Fool's Day, is the actual start of National Poetry Month!

Well, the Robin is on it's way to Texas!
Ruth, you're up next!

How are you all doing with the game? Any problems, let me know!

Well, off to work, only 3 hours today!
And then it's home to clean up the yard, finish the house, cook, bake, AGGGHHH!!
Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

I need an address on Ruth...I have gone through all my recent FOTESS and OBF stuff....no address. Please email me with her address so I can get this in the mail today.

Annie

o

OK...I found Ruths address in my Secret Santa stuff. So happy I keep that stuff...

Ruth, the Poetry Round Robin is in the mailbox....headed your way!

Happy Easter!

Annie

o

Clink!! I'll join in and have a glass of wine, too. Love how this is working through the minds of fellow fotess members. We are preparing for a 70 degree weekend. Hope to get into the garden and get it turned over and plant some early crops. Happy Easter, everyone.

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 12:21

Annie, emailed ya before I came on here, you might end up with thousands of Ruth addresses!

Well, probably not thousands - just saying!

I'm taking my coffee mug of dry white outside with me to clean up the yard.

Peggy, we're supposed to have a 50 degrees weekend, with rain on Sunday, hope not, the Easter Bunny is planning an Egg Hunt!

My Spring Gardening officially starts on Monday! Can't believe how much I have to do out there! Plus lots of seeds to get started yet! For once, my annual count is going to be larger than the perennials.

Have a great day, All!
Shirley!

o

So far the poem is wonderful!
Great reading about the little free library.. I had not heard of it.
Katie raised a good point. We really can't guess by posting here because GardenWeb will identify us and then everyone will know which answer matches with the person who wrote it. Shirley, you may need to get the answers e-mailed to you unless you can think of something else to do with it.
It's a beautiful day here for my birthday, but hubby and I have been sick or suffering from the pollen this week so I will stay indoors a good bit and won't be outdoors much. I really think it's a virus because my husband doesn't have problems with pollen.,
AOL and GardenWeb are not getting along today so that's all for now. If I don't get back on before Easter, Happy Easter to eveyone in FOTESS!
Jeanne

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 15:47

Sorry for all the confusion about the game!

Here is what your list should look like:

Example:
1-X
2-Z
3-O
4-Q, etc., etc.

I guess I'm not understanding how you can tell who is who from that kind of list.
Maybe someone could give me an example?

Now, if the list posted on the thread doesn't work, we will go with emailing them to me.
Please, everyone, let me know what to do here!
Shirley!

o

Happy Birthday Jeanne!!

o
Almost Forgot!

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 15:53

WOO HOO!! I have sprouts!!
Checked my WS jugs, while I was out cleaning up the yard and I have petunias (all the jugs!) and pansies, all but 3 of them!!

I am so pleased!!
Shirley!

o

Congratulations on the sprouts, Shirley! We had 2 nights with frost this week so I had to move things around and cover some things, too. Trying to get them back in place.

On the game. here is 1 and 2.
1. I'm a secret Royal watcher. A. Annie
2. I hate to fly. B. Suzanne

If I'm Annie and #2 is correct for me and I list 2.A. everyone can see what I posted and knows 2 A. is correct. Isn't that right?

Jeanne

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 16:30

Thanks for the example, Jeanne, and for helping me out!

But we are to post just the numbers and the letters, no names, no tidbits, like the example in my post.

I am going to post tidbits with matching names after the game is done. Sorry, everyone, I should have explained that better!

Please let me know if there is still a problem, from anyone!

I'm really excited about the sprouts. I want to use the petunias for my front porch, and of course, the pansies are going to go EVERYWHERE! I used potting mix with fertilizer this year (mistakenly) and I wasn't sure how it would work out. I've heard some not so good stories!

Hey, dinner!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I don't know how that maintains secrecy. If I am D for example, everyone else knows that, too. What am I missing?

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 19:15

No, No, what am I missing?

How does everyone know you are D? If we only post the numbers and letters?

Everybody, would you please email me your lists?!
This is kinda funny!

Oh crap. Just got it. Color me red, extraordinarily bright red.
Shirley!

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 20:04

We were all just waiting for everyone else to post their lists. That way, we'd all be sure to get them all right!

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 20:41

I am really embarassed!
But I thought I'd share this picture anyway; this little guy was visiting the crocus's today!

o

That's lovely Shirley. That little bee looks lonely but I'm sure his friends will be along soon.

Don't be embarrassed. At first I thought you were setting up some kind of April Fool's joke! For once my confusion was justified. LOL. That was almost as fun as the game,
Alana

o

Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 21:20

Oh shoot! Silly me! Thanks for reminding me, YES, that's exactly what I was trying to do!

Anybody buying that?

So far, Janine is winning the game, but, and I'm sorry, it won't take much to beat her!

Sorry,Janine, when I embarrass myself, I get cruel.

At this rate, I'll be cruel for the whole month of April!

Lord, I need to get to bed.
Shirley!

o

How many did I get right? One (including my own)? No matter; nothing can bother me today because the sun's out and the Easter bunny brought me an early present:

o

Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 18:33

Beautiful little bug! What year, Janine?

Yes, you're right, yourself and one other!
But now you are in a tie with Jeanne, who also got herself and one other!
We need a tie breaker here, folks!

Well, the girls are upstairs trying to lure the cats out from under the bed and not having much luck!
Better go check, don't want any pulled tails or scratched arms!
Shirley!

o

Janine, I want you to have your Easter Bunny talk to my local Easter Bunny. The DQ Blizzard I got treated to was totally lame compared to what you got. What year? I learned to drive in a '68 that color.

I just sent my answers. That was hard. As soon as I thought I had one figured out, I would decide I could not possibly be correct.
Alana

o

That was my first car. It was a '69 VW bug in light blue except I was driving it in 1987. My parents got it painted red later. No air. Stick shift. Great on gas mileage.

Shirley, I sent my answers in for the game.

I replanted 400 bulbs today and replanted part of my front flower bed now that the retaining wall is in. My gluteous maximus and my right big toe are sore. (The toe is from the boots and kneeling along the curb to plant.)

Not a single sprout from the winter sowing. I know...patience. If nothing happens it will be a short ride to the dumpster, but it's still early. At least that's what I keep saying under my breath. Last year I messed up the ones that had sprouted and they died--except for 3 flowers. My dad dug them out for the wall. He didn't know. We even got a little rain! Praise the Lord!

Heidi

o

Just finished cleaning up our Easter dinner. Had it a day early because we will be taking our son back to college tomorrow and it is a 7 hour round trip.

I just sent in my guesses and I can say I probably only got one right. LOL That was fun but tough.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter. Margo

o

Happy Easter everyone.
My little car is a 1973 Super Beetle 'autostick'. I learned to drive on a manual, but this takes some getting used to (I think I can manage).
Margo~have a safe trip. Alana~I'll put in a good word for you, but it took the Bunny (otherwise known as Dave) 25 years to deliver, so no promises that he'll get around to talking to your Bunny anytime soon.

o

I'm still working on my questions! Everyone have a wonderful Easter! I hope to send mine in tomorrow! So not sure on some! Melinda

o

Happy Eastter!
Don't worry about the game, Shirley. Alana's right. It was an April Fool.
I thought I would share my Easter tree with you. Can't believe all the Easter decorations I have amassed.
Have a great day!
Jeanne

o

Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 18:56

Happy Easter, Everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful day! My company left earlier today, and WOW, is it quiet here!

Jeanne, how pretty your Easter Tree is! Love the candle holder too! Thanks for sharing!

Well, unknown to all the rest of you, we had some real excitement in the game over the weekend!

As you will recall, Janine was in the lead with two correct guesses. All of a sudden, she got into a tie with Jeanne, who also posted two correct guesses!

Heidi and Alana did nothing to change that tie, by each posting one correct guess. So sad, ladies! Guess who they guessed?

Then yesterday Margo took a commanding lead by posting 3 correct guesses! Woo Hoo!

Sadly, her lead only lasted until this morning when Suzanne also weighed in with 3 correct guesses, so we are right back to being tied for 1st place!!

Melinda! Yours could be the next tiebreaker!
Oh, the excitement!

And don't forget, the Robin should be reaching Ruth in Texas early this coming week, can't wait to see what Ruth adds to the poem!

And now I want to apologize to all our members who had Birthdays in March - I totally forgot to post here about your special day! So, belatedly, a Happy Birthday goes out to Ellie, Janine, Mandy, Diane and Jeanne!
I hope you all had really great B-Days!

Well, better get the house "neatened up" and get ready for a new week!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

This game...to darn funny!!!!!

Shirley, just emailed you my losing guesses!!

Happy belated Easter to all! I do hope your day was gay! Did you all wear your Easter bonnets?

Annie

o

Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 21:56

More excitement in the Game!

Margo and Suzanne were tied for first place all morning, until I came home for lunch and discovered that Annie had come roaring in with 4 correct guesses! 4! Whoa! Good going, Annie, hope it lasts, because I have to tell ya all, it got a little tense right after work, when I saw that Katie and Melinda had emailed their guesses. But there is no reason to panic, because they each only had two correct guesses. Puts them right down there with Jeanne and Janine.Still not in last place, that would be Alana and Heidi. We're going to need a tiebreaker for last place!

Ladies, we still have a whole day to go before the game is closed. Annie, you could still go down to defeat. Not that I am wishing you will, just saying, you could just as easy win, maybe. Oh never mind, I'm just babbling!

And no, I didn't wear an Easter bonnet, maybe I should have, because I caught a chill yesterday, and haven't felf exactly right all day. That could account for my negativity, Annie!

Well, enought excitement for one night! I'm off to bed,
talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Last place! Man. I had to think really hard to not even accidentally guess one correctly :)

o

Wow, I was sure I had at least 3 or 4 right! Boy! This is a tough one, but has been fun!

o

How can anyone resist the game with Shirley as our commentator!
Did anyone get fooled or fool someone yesterday?
Not me.

Jeanne

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 17:45

The FOTESS RR Poem was in my mailbox when I got home today.
Along with seeds from my want list, Green Mist Laceflower.
I keep trying to grow this and sometimes get a flower.
Annie, thanks for the chance to try again. Love this flower.

The poem will be on it's way to Melinda tomorrow (Wednesday).

Spring is on its way!

Upwards pass the tender tulips,
Companion of the daffodil,
So lovely, but I sigh, there are the evil weeds to dig,
Battle them tomorrow, for now a glass of wine.

First blooms of redbud glow pink and bright
Under a clear blue canopy in the morning sunlight

This picture was taken yesterday @ Clark Gardens Botanical Park. It was sunny & 84 degrees.
Enjoy!!!

This post was edited by ruthz on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 17:51

o

Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 20:55

Ruth! How beautiful! Both the picture and the poem!
I love how it all fits together!
And thank you for posting and sending out quickly.
Melinda! Heads up, the Robin is on the way!

84 degrees? We are in a sunny, but really cold spell right now. I feel like a dufus wearing my winter coat, but it's too cold for spring coats/jackets.

I think our poem is coming along quite nicely, don't you? Everyone seems to be trying to say "Spring is coming" and in so many ways! Good job so far, ladies!

Well, nothing new on the game. Annie is still in the lead! You all have until tomorrow night to send in your guesses. Anyone else wanna play?

Alana, what an ambiguous, terse sentence and I think I understand it!

Jeanne, no, no one played an April Fool's joke on me, nor I on them, wasn't feeling too great, I may have missed it!

Melinda, I'm very glad I didn't have to guess any of these!

Still feeling a little under the weather, wish it would resolve itself, either go to a full blown cold, or just go away!

Talk to ya all tomorrow,
Ruth, thanks again for the lovely picture
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I feel your pain. I came down with a cold on Monday and it just keeps playing little games all over my face. First, my throat will hurt, then my nose will start tickling and then hurting, then my teeth hurt, and over and over. Last night I had to get up to take some meds so I could sleep but I didn't sleep well. I have a 5k to do on Saturday evening. It is a "glo run" so starts at 8:30 pm. No plans to run much but do want to do it. Healthy all winter and now I get a cold. UGH.
Another deceiving day. Sunny and warm looking but so cold. Have a good day. Margo

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 16:20

The Robin is flying to Arkansas.

o

Evening!
I'm a last minute game player...please wait...sending my answers right now.

Those were VERY hard! I think I'm in the running for last place :)

Getting ready to go camping this week. BBBRRRR! Only 34 today! Hopefully going up to 50 tomorrow. I must be crazy, but, I love a good spring hike.

Have a great night!
vina

ps. Shirley, I counted my tomatoes coming up this year. 67 of them! HA!! The funny thing is I'm allergic to them!! :D

o

Good evening everyone. I thought that I would stop by and share my recent news. I found out a couple of weeks ago that I am going to be a grandmother!!!!!!! I couldn't share the news until my other kids found out. My second son and his wife are expecting their first child in October. They told their brothers and sisters tonight so now I can spread the news!!!!!! I am so excited. They live in Texas and we are in Ohio so won't see much of him/her but with skype, we can see him/her on our computer everyday if want. LOL

Margo

o

Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 21:53

Way to go, Vina, you aren't last!

Of course, you aren't in first place either, or even in second, in fact you are right down in there in third with Jeanne, Melinda, Katie and Janine at 2 guesses each, but hey, it isn't last! That still goes to Heidi and Alana!

Yes, the game is officially over and before I post all the winners, along with tie breakers for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place, I want to post the list of who sent in what tidbits:

1. I am a secret royal watcher - Me!

2, When my husband and I retire, we are going to travel cross country on our motorcycles - Vina!

3. I don't like cantaloupe - I do like watermelon and honeydews, however! - Jeanne

4. I attended a performing arts high school and "lettered" in stagecraft and ballet - Katie!

5. A few years ago, I decided to try rapelling to face my fear of heights....I had to be scraped off the side of the cliff....mortifying! - Alana!

6. My husband is the only guy I've ever kissed - Heidi!

7. I am tatooed - Janine!

8, I hate to fly - Margo!

9. I once got kicked out of school and off the school bus for breaking a boy's jaw. - Melinda! What I didn't post was that he was continually tormenting her, and she used her foot!

10. I have been arrested 2 times - never cuffed, but I was guilty - Annie!

11.I am 11 years older than my DH - Suzanne!

And there you have it! Quite amazing, isn't it?

And now for the Winners:

Annie, of course, in First Place, with 4 correct guesses;

Margo and Suzanne in Second Place, with 3 correct guesse each;

Jeanne, Melinda, Vina, Katie and Janine in 3rd place with 2 correct answers each; and

Alana and Heidi in last place, with one correct guess each.

A small prize will also be given to Margo, whom you all guessed the most - 4 people guessed that Margo hates to fly!

And a small prize also to Jeanne or Melinda, whom you all guessed the least - a grand total of 1 guess each!

Annie and Margo, your prizes will be sent out to you next week. Congratulations!

All of the rest of you will have to endure tiebreakers!

Jeanne and Melinda, email me the answer to this question:
How many Lighthouses are there in Door County, Wisconsin?
First one to email me with the correct answer is the winner!You have until tomorrow night!

Heidi and Alana, I'll post your tiebreaker tomorrow evening.

Thanks for playing the game, Everyone! Stay tuned for the rest of the winners and of course, lest we forget, the poem wihich is winging it's way to Melinda!

Thanks for the beautiful Iris picture, Vina, that is stunning!
Goodnight!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 22:05

Margo, Great News! You just might have to learn to like flying!
Shirley!

o

Beautiful photo Vina! What Iris is that?
Margo, congratulations on the new family member!
Janine, I am curious. What kind of tatoos do you like?

Shirley, you come up with the coolest games!

Melinda, thank you again for the seeds you sent me in February's swap. The Canna seeds from Summerhill turned into this. I am loving the red foliaged example.

o

Good Morning everyone.
That game was so hard, but so interesting. We should play it again!
Congratulations Margo~exciting news!
Alana~here's a picture of 2 of my 3 tattoos (the other one is on a place that must not be mentioned in polite company...ahem...and is a full moon & cloud).

o

Those are perfect, Janine-just right for your Bug.

o

Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 20:54

Good Evening All!
Janine, thanks for posting the pic! I think they are totally appropriate for a GWer! Forgot about the 60s flower thing.

Well, Jeanne and Melinda both sent in their tiebreaking answers and Jeanne is the winner with 12!
Melinda, there are TWO separate Baileys Harbor Range lights, which make it 12. I didn't count the ruin or the outer island lights.
Congratulations Jeanne, your prize will be out to you next week!

All Righty, on to the next tiebreaker!
Alana and Heidi, email me the answer to this question:
How many current queens regnant are there in the remaining European Monarchies?
First one with the correct answer breaks the tie and wins!

Heidi, are you feeling better? Keep forgetting to ask!

And Jeanne, at one time Michigan had over 150 lighthouses, lots of which have been restored, and about a third of them are still working lights. AND South Carolina has some of the truly iconic lights, wish I could make a trip to see them!

Okay, back to Poetry! As soon as we are done, for real, with the game, I will post another game with a poetic theme. Will also try to post some Poetry facts.

Have a great night all!
Shirley!

o

I sent you my answer, Shirley!
Are you a Royals watcher, too? This question is one of Royals--a different kind. I prefer Downton Abbey--a total addict. They need to make more episodes!
Yes, I am feeling better. Finally.
My husband was working 200 miles away, home on weekends. Good money and benefits, but not good enough to support two places to live, utilities, etc. He just got a job 10 miles away and started this week. Pay cut and no benefits, but he'll be home and be around his girls who really need him. They are 16 (almost 17) and 13. Stress with change, but good change. I'm putting my stress into my flower bed!!! Planted hostas and peonies yesterday and watered them like crazy. Have daffodils blooming. My 13-yr-old started her own strawberry patch and keeps asking for flower seeds. I think I have a flower disciple! I'm in seventh heaven.
Heidi

o

Margo, congratulations on that anticipated grandbaby!
I wish I could say something special to all of you, but my typing on GardenWeb is still only when I wait and wait and wait for the letters to appear in the message block. It's so bad!
I can't believe I guessed the number of lighthouses. I had no idea. The answers on the first quiz were so hard that I sure wasn't going to win that.
The poem is looking great!
Jeanne

o

Nice poetry Ruth....

And the tidbit game was a tough game!!!!! Quite an interesting group of ladies here!!!!! I did not figure Jaynine to be the tatoo lady....LOL! Great game Shirley, as always!!!

GW is acting very strange, has been for a while. I have been trying to get on this thread for a few days and have been unable to even pull it up.

Happy Friday!!

Annie

o

Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 22:33

Hi All, sorry I'm so late posting - came home from work sick and have been in bed ever since. I have chills, a headache and some kind of sore spot on the bottom of my ribs, like they were bruised. Real bummer.

This is going to be very quick.

Heidi and Alana, I have an apology for you, that wretched word WAS spelled right. No matter, because Heidi hasn't got back to me yet, and Alana, you did, so even if you did get it wrong the second time, you are the winner! She guessed 2 queens regnant and there are 3.
Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain
Queen Margrethe of Denmark and
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

Congratulations Alana!

Regnant, even when not misspelled, means the queen was born next in line to the throne, in the absence of a male heir. She is a queen in her own right, unlike some who have married into the royal family.

Actually, if we had waited another few weeks or so, Alana would have been right because on April 30 Queen Beatrix is abdicating in favor of her son and heir, Willem Alexander. He will be the first king of the Netherlands in 130 years, give or take a few.

Okay, onward!
Jeanne, Melinda, Vina, Katie and Janine, email me the answer to this question, and I promise, this is the last royal question!
Who holds the title of Princess of Wales?
You have until tomorrow night to send in your answer!

Melinda, any word on the Robin yet?

I'm going back to bed, folks.
Shirley

o

Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 21:46

Hi Ladies!

Well, I've only heard from Katie and Jeanne, and they were both wrong. I think that what I'll do is keep this open until tomorrrow at noon, and go from there.

As far as the Robin goes, I'll wait until Monday and if we haven't heard anything, we'll move on to Plan B!

Feeling a bit better, still really tired.
And I think I'll head back to bed!
Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Good morning!

Got back from camping early this morning, had some coffee and sitting back and checking the GW :)

Spring camping is WAY colder than we thought it would be!! We had campfires and our cabin was "kinda" heated, lol!! All in all we did have a great time! Loved the hiking and the little streams were starting to trickle down the ravines to the lake....so pretty! No bear sightings...darn it! :)

Shirley, sorry to hear your not feeling well. Get better soon! I'm sending you my answer to the tie breaker right now.

Have a super Sunday!!
vina

o

Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 12:39

And we have a winner!
Janine, your guess of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall is correct!

Everyone else guessed Ditzy Di, oops, sorry, Princess Diana, who was indeed the LAST Princess of Wales, And who knows, had she lived, maybe the royal family would have let her retain the title as a courtesy for being the mother of the heir, but we'll never know.

The wife of the Prince of Wales IS the POW, no matter how many wives he may have had. Camilla gained the title when she married Charles. She chose to use one of her lesser titles, out of respect for Diana and the boys.

I've always felt sorry for Charles and Camilla, and I wonder what would have happened, all those years ago, when they were both young and UNMARRIED, had their romance been left alone. One big difference, if they had been allowed the romance, Lady Diana Spencer might.
still be alive today.
Okay, Okay! Enough on the Royals!

We are down to our last tiebreaker!
Margo and Suzanne, email me the answer to this question. You have until tomorrow night!

One of our players sent me a choice of three tidbits for the game, I posted one, here are the other two:
1. I had a fugitive living in my gardens.
2. I would like to try raising bees.
Who is this player?

Thanks for all the get well wishes, they were appreciated!
I am feeling much better, slept almost all night long, and have gone off any and all meds. Expect to be better real quick. I think it was Pluerisy.

Well, Ruth mailed the Robin on Wednesday, so we should be hearing from Melinda tomorrow or Tuesday. Sorry I went into panic mode!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

My winter sowing germinated--at least a few. I'm so excited I want to do cartwheels.

I thought a royals watcher meant baseball. I guess you can scratch me off winning any of your games. I loved Princess Diana, watched her wedding. I felt sorry for Charles & Camilla, too.

I loved the joke...What are Diana and Charles going to name their first child?
Answer: Up
Why? So on their Christmas card they can sign it, "Up, Chuck and Di."
Sorry Shirley.

o

Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 14:32

Not a problem, Heidi.
Which she did, actually, with the bulemia and all.
I'm very glad for William. King Up the first?
Did you like her wedding dress?

I am on my way to a nap,
Later,
Shirley!

o

Princess Diane was 20 Prince Charles was 43 when they got married. I wonder if she knew the details of his romance with Camilla. It was quite the fanfare. There were parties around the world celebrating this event. Even in Boise, ID there was a "Prenuptial Bash" for Chuck and Di... Attended by many dignitaries (not really but it was quite the costume party). Even made the evening news. Sad ending for a beautiful Princess.

Now about the earth surrounding our castle... Weather in Central Wa is cold, grey and windy. Rained last night but snowed on Mt. Clemens.. Today the raspberries got planted, and the rhubarb was moved. Maybe it will grow into a nice big batch of tartness.

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 6:57

Peggy, she almost certainly knew about the affair, ALL of Britain were taking bets on whether, like his uncle, Edward VIII, he would give up the throne for the woman he loved, or be forced into a marraige with someone else. We all know how that turned out.

I love rhubarb, my grandmother had a big patch and would make pies and breads. We ate it raw, yeah, with salt! Haven't had it in years.

Off to work,
Shirley!

o

Hello all! So sorry, I haven't posted sooner, but have been sick with a terrible cold! Congrats to Margo on her new grandbaby coming! Congrats to all the winners so far!
I rec'd the poem on Saturday! And a wonderful pack of cherry chocolate sunflower seeds!! Ruth, you always send me the best things! I love them!
Now here's the poem---
A haze of green and longer days, And lots and lots of rain!
Helps nature work behind the scene as sunshine pushes through the grey.

Upwards push the tender tulips.Companion of the daffodil
So lovely, but I sigh, there are evil weeds to dig,
battle them tomorrow, for now a glass of wine.

First blooms of Redbud glow pink and bright, under a clear blue canopy in the morning sunlight.
As with all of God's creations, spring brings forth the beautiful flowers.
Which are doubly enhanced by the coming of April's showers.

I will be mailing the poem and seeds today to Diane.
Have a good day everyone! Melinda

o

The poem is shaping up nicely! Reading through the posts, it seems there is a lot of sickness. I hope everyone feels better. Next time I look at this thread, I'm going to wear a 'flu mask, lol.

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 21:44

Melinda, what a lovely and thoughtful addition to the Poem! Great rhyming! Thanks for posting. And Diane, get ready, the Robin is on it's way!

Well, we don't have a definitive winner for the last tiebreaker, neither Margo or Suzanne guessed it, but I've decided to give the prize to Suzanne, as Margo has already won a prize. Hope that seems fair to everyone.
And so, congratulations, Suzanne and all the winners, whom I thought I would list, one last time.

Oh, almost forgot, the player who sent in those two tidbits was Alana!

I promise to get the prizes mailed out, next week, the Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

Here are all the winners:
Annie - 1st place
Suzanne - 2nd place
Janine - 3rd place
Alana - 4th place
Margo - for the most guesses of her tidbit, and
Jeanne,for the fewest guesses of her tidbit.

And there you have it, ladies, the end of the game. I'll be posting the Poets game, hopefully on Friday, watch for it!

I did my whole five hours at work today! Woo Hoo!
Gradually feeling better!
Off to bed,
Shirley!

o

Good game Shirley and certainly sounds fair to award that prize to Suzanne.

Beautiful day here. It seemed to want to rain but never did. The air was so warm, I just loved it. I left for work this morning and realized I forgot something and on my way back into the house, I saw that three big clumps of daffodils had bloomed. Welcome lovely flowers!!!!!!! This is just the beginning of the series of bulbed flowers that will be blooming. Once we get some rain, the colors will be abounding out there and I can't wait.

Feel better Shirley. I am doing better but still tired.

Margo

o

Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:10

Evening All!

It was the same here, Tuesday, Margo, overcast and windy but the wind wasn't bitterly cold, which was a welcome change. My mini daffs are starting to bloom! The crocuses are still going strong. And I too am still tired. Bummer!

I was reading back thro the posts on this thread and way back at the beginning of this swap, I promised to keep the Robin's flight plan posted. You may have noticed, I haven't done that!

So here it is, a little late, and I'll try my best to keep it updated!

I sent to Peggy in Washington;
Peggy sent it on to Heidi in Nebraska;
Heidi mailed it on to Annie in California;
Annie mailed it to Ruth in Texas;
Ruth sent it flying to Melinda in Arkansas;
Melinda just sent it to Diane/Moonfire;
Diane sends it to Jeanne/sandlapper_rose in South Carolina;
Jeanne sends it to Alana/poisondartfrog in Kentucky;
Alana sends it to Robin in Virginia;
Robin sends it to Vina/flowergirl134 in New York;
Vina sends it to Janine/Jaynine in Connecticut;
Janine sends it to Suzanne/hibiscusfan in Ohio;
Suzanne sends it to Margo/smitties in Ohio;
and
Margo will send it to Katie in Mississippi, who will send the completed poem back to me!

Hope I didn't skip anyone!

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Melinda, beautiful poetry!!

To all who are feeling lousy....take care and feel better!

Shirley, looking forward to the next game! I am still laughing about the last game...to funny!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

If you thought I was bad at that game...don't ask me to connect poets and their work, Shirley!
I am not sick, but I'm heartsick. We got 1.25" of rain (yeah) followed by an inch of snow. Interstate 80 is closed 2/3 across the length of Nebraska to the Colorado state line. They can't get all the cars out of the median. The snow is more like ice pellets and when you walk on it it's like tundra (I assume-never been to Alaska). My daffodils froze off. I dreamed of being up to my elbows in the dirt. On Monday it was 70 degrees and I bought a pair of shorts. Two days now it's about 22 degrees. I think the wintersowing jugs that sprouted are now frozen, too. I'm not very patient. Trying to keep busy and do productive things today so when it gets nice I can be the Dirt Queen! So I'm whining on the thread. I know, I know...get to it!
Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here