Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

NEW: 2nd Annual 'Adopt a Newbie' Swap!

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

This was such fun last year, so I decided to give it a go again this year.

The rules will be similar, and few. :O)

FOR NEWBIES:color>

1~ The definition of a "Newbie" is anyone that has been a member of garden web for 3 months or less AND has few, if any, plants to trade. Also, someone who could use a few pointers, tips and ideas for his/her garden.

2~ The Newbie will be adopted by ONE (1) experienced gardener.

3~ The Newbie will be required to send a box of gardening gifts to his/her adoptive gardener, in exchange for a box of seeds, plants & good gardening advice. This box can contain gardening tools, magazines, gloves, lotions, decorations, windchimes....anything pertaining to gardening & things that your adoptive gardener will enjoy & find useful.

FOR EXPERIENCED GARDENERS:color>

1~ An experienced gardener is someone who has been on GW for more than 3 months and has seeds, plants and advice to share.

2~ An experienced gardener can adopt up to TWO (2) Newbies, but keep in mind that you will be required to send a box of plants & seeds to each. (when you sign up, please send me an email letting me know how many Newbies you'd like to adopt)

3~ Your box should be sent only AFTER receiving a box from your Newbie, and should be sent within 2 weeks of receiving that box. Please make sure that you include growing instructions & tips with your plants/seeds.

I will keep sign-ups open until we have 10 Experienced gardeners, and 10 Newbies. I may keep the swap open for more or less, but that will be determined later, when we see how many we actually have sign up.

I ask that all Newbies please send me an email, containing your address, zone & plant/seed preferences (if any).

PLEASE keep in mind that the Experienced Gardeners will do their best to send you things that you will like, but THIS IS NOT A WISH FULFILLING SWAP, and it is NOT possible to give you your hearts desire. (however much we may wish to do so.) :O)

Now...having said all that....Who is ready to swap?color>

Melissa

Comments (150)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can take on 2 newbies if needed... Like diene says, it's just as easy to pack 2 boxes as it is 1.

Now here's a question for everyone... What is your favorite plant, and why?

{{gwi:1255482}}
    My favorite plant would be cosmos. A long time ago my Aunt Lorraine gave me some baby cosmos to bring back home to Michigan and plant (she lived in Dayton OH). I did so, and found them to be quite easy to take care of. Cosmos are a very forgiving plant, and they come in more and more varieties all the time, which gives me not only the chance to stay with a proven favorite, but also the ability to mix and match too! I like taking all my cosmos seeds and mixing them up, then planting them in one or two or five different patches. By mixing them up, I've had a few mutations occur over the years, but haven't been able to get any of them to breed true. I have found cosmos flowers with 5 different colors on the same flowerhead, stripes, batik, splotches, solids, but no plaids. LOL! Cosmos are really a lot of fun to grow, and I plan on sharing them with my newbie(s)!
    I might even share some with Linda, if she behaves herself! LOL!

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I ALWAYS behave myself..you know that Dan!..I love cosmos too and zinnas...my grandmother used to plant zinnas each year. In fact, until I become a member here, I didn't even know thare was seed in the chaff! She always just dried the whole flower head..ripped it apart and spread it everywhere! They came up whereever she planted them. She alwso grew roses which are another favorite of mine! That woman had a green thumb like I never saw before! So, zinna's are one of my favorites...butterflies love them too!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Hi all :) I'm a bit past a newbie on GW and have gardened for many years...with a brief (seemed like forever!!!) 4 year or so break inbetween, but I would love to adopt a newbie. Only problem is we will be gone for Spring Break, beginning Friday the 20th. We'll be back on April fools day lol. If that works, I'd love to adopt a newbie :)

Toni

• divahethr
    15 years ago

My favorite plant is bamboo. It's mostly understood, but I love it. It's an underused renewable resource that can be used in place of trees and in some cases steel! I once went to a barbecue and there was a culm that grew right next to me. I was sitting on a deck and it was right at the railing level by the time I left hours later it had grown taller than my head. I was hooked.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Toni! Consider yourself "in"! :O) Thanks for signing up!

Welcome to Cindy, as well! Glad to have you!

NEWBIES:
    1~ Cindy (cjcjmass) **
    2~ Deb (murphysmom)**
    3~ Mary (prayerrock)
    4~ Carrie (barefoot contessa) **
    5~ Timmy (micyrey JR) **
    6~ Nichol (gardenmom2)
    7~ Sherry (weineydog8) **
    8~ Patti (patti1957) **
    9~ Joseph (jdkind) **
    10~ Matt (Matthewhenry) **
    11~ Michael (riverdank)**
    12~ Renee (eradams05) **
    13~ Billie Jo (cntrygrlathrt) **
    14~ Holly (reeselayne)**
    15~ Angela (angela00)
    16~ Lorraine (paradisa)**
    17~ Dani (dbrown1973)
    18~ Claudia (claudia claymama)
    19~ Cindy (maimejo)color>

E.G.'S:
    1~Mao (mao_tse_mom)
    2~Kami (kamiljablo)
    3~Linda (lindaruzicka) *2
    4~Wendy (sassybutterfly) *2
    5~Lisa (ishareflowers)
    6~Michelle (micyrey)
    7~Janine (jaynine) *2
    8~Nikki (nikkineel)
    9~Tammy (greenthumbgrow) *2
    10~Kathy (jaleesia) *2
    11~Divahethr *2
    12~ Dan (dan the mailman)
    13~ Pat (pat6)
    14~ Diene *2
    15~ Karen (kalena67)
    16~ Toni (dirtdiggin)color>

Hmmmm.
    Favorite flower.
    Lemme think. There are so many! I am going to have to say it's a toss-up between Rose & Iris. I absolutely love roses- all shapes, sizes, colors....they are super easy to grow, look great in all gardens, smell wonderful, they are medicinal and I love the romantic-ness (is that a word??) of them.
    I love iris for much the same reasons (except the medicinal part....LOL!)
    One of my favorite memories is walking through my great-grandma's gardens and smelling the lemony scent of the iris.
    *sigh*

That darn iris was one of the flowers that got me into so much trouble as a youngster. My neighbor had the biggest, most beautiful purple & white iris....and I've STILL got some of those bulbs, believe it or don't! LOL

Melissa

• jaynine
    15 years ago

Favorite plant? Such a difficult question to answer!
    I love weeping willow trees. We used to play under the giant one in our yard for hours on end.
    Of the plants I'm growing, my favorite, for sentimental reasons, is the Rose of Sharon I dug up from home in PA. (My mother passed away recently and our house is no longer in the family.) I really love my asparagus fern, too. (and my lemon tree)(and all my scented geraniums)(and my chaste tree)(You get the picture.)
    My favorite flowers are white daisies.
    Has anybody ever grown something that they absolutely couldn't stand?

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

Hello Cindy (cjcjmass)
    Nt favorite flowers are BRUGMANSIA and Roses they both
    hold a very special place in my back yard.

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

My favorite flower is the bleeding heart, it is such a great reminder to me of Gods great love in His creation and also what Jesus did for me:)

Mary

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

My fav. would be either my Siberian Iris which my grandmother gave me and I have slowly divided and divided into about 5 big clumps now or roses and peonys. I guess that is 3 though. I love roses. Not the hybrid teas. They are pretty but to me they seem almost stuck up. I love the old fashioned roses. Esp. the highly scented musk roses. And peonys. They would be my all time fav. if only they would stand up after a rain. I am planning on buying lots of peonys and making a huge perennial bed with them in the middle. We'll see.

Nichol

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I have two favorites - Calla Lily and Lavender. Love em! Roses remind me of my grandmother as do petunias so they hold a sentimental place for me as well. Nik

• njcwgrl
    15 years ago

Hi,
    If there is still a opening I would Love to join..I just purchased my first home and have alot of gardening to do,The house has not been cared for in years..I have some seeds growing..I love mini-roses,iris and any perennial..
    Thank you,
    Shannon

• angela00
    15 years ago

I have a question. Any strategies for gardening with a newborn? I have a 5 month old who only takes one 1-hour nap per day. She was born in the fall and loves to go for walks outdoors. Now that the weather is finally getting warmer (it's been a long winter), I really look forward to getting out there and gardening. But how to do so with the baby? The only thing I can think of would be to take the play pen outside. Does anyone have any other strategies? Thanks!

Angela

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I have read mag. articles on being outside with a wee one in a tent. You could set up a little dome tent or something, that way she is protected from the sun and insects, but you could kinda see her and hear her. I don't know. I willthink about it. I woul prob. throw a blanket outside in the grass, although she is prob. crawling ortrying to anyway. SO, yeah, I guess a playpen. I will try to think of any other ideas.

Nichol

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Angela;
    Hazelnut Bunny will have some suggestions for you. She has a whole passel of little ones and that has not seemed to slow her down in the garden. just wait for her to see you post.
    diene

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

When Danae was a baby I would put her in a walker (that had toys attached all around) and take a Large beach umbrella and a baby pool. I would put the walker in the pool with about an inch of water just so it would wet her toes and put the umbrella over her and OF COURSE I could see her at all times but she loved it and I could at least get about two hours out of that setup. once she started being more mobile is when it gets harder ;-)

Hummmmmm Favorite flower.......
    I would have to say Ice Plants, Carnations and Ornamental grasses.

I wish I could say I have memories of my mom gardening but she don't like being outside. So I guess I am the milk mans child LOL. The first memory I have of flowers would be me picking my grandmas tulips and giving them to my mom. Granma would get mad because I didn't give it to her (and because I was picking her tulips) so I would snap it in two and give the flower to mom and the stem to granma.
    Heart melted everytime... you know granmas... I wouldn't say she really liked gardening either although she had some flowers.

My first garden was when I was about 8 and I had a dollar and thought it was great I could get 20 packs of seeds for a dollar so I got all kind of veggies. Well I wish I could tell you I got to eat them but we moved mid season and I tried to take them with me in boxes ***now take a moment and picture this ***even the carrots. Well of course they all died. :-( Not the best start to gardening but the first time I seen the seedling growing from the seed I planted I WAS HOOKED. Every since I have had some type of flower or veggie garden on a small scale. Until I married in 2001 and got my own home... Then it became quite a bit Larger...LOL

Tammy;-)

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Favorite flower - Hostas! Yep, hostas :-)
    But now isn't that like trying to figure out which child is your favorite? LoL

Did someone mention brownies and tea somewhere?

Carrie

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"refilling tea cups and passing out warm brownies"....

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Favorite flower - so hard to pick just one - love them all. My first favorite flower would have to be pansys. When I was a kid I had this book where the flowers(pansies) were like people - they all had their different pretty faces. Guess I've loved them since. I like that no two flowers look exactly alike. Every mothers day my 4 children get me a couple flats of pansys.

My grandmother would always plant several rows of flowers in her vegetable garden. Loved her peonys, irises, dahlias.

I also love roses and have a small rose garden out back in which I usually have to replace two or three bushes every year.

Also love perennials, but am getting addicted to hardy annuals thanks to my GW friends.

The only flower I can't stand is geraniums - my mom bought them every year to plant in the front flower bed and I hated the smell of them. I did however receive some perennial geranium seeds from a swap and plan on winter sowing them.

There is nothing like a pretty flower to make you smile.

Paradisa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, so much has happened overnight! And I almost missed the brownies, too! (can I have one for breakfast, Linda?)

Welcome to Shannon! Glad to have you here! :O)

Angela~ I think it's going to work differently for every baby. Each of mine has been different as to what worked to keep them occupied. I had one that would sit in her walker & be happy. With my 2 year old, I used to put her in her Johnny Jump Up in a doorway, if I was working close to the house. She loved it. I would also put her in a baby/toddler swing, that hubby made a frame for. I can move it anywhere in the yard that I'm working. She loved that as well, and would stay quiet for about 2-3 hours or so, just between meals.
    My oldest son would stay right on the blanket, on the ground. He HATED how the grass felt, and so he would sit on the blanket, quite content with his toys. Never even cried to be picked up, until he was hungry!
    I'll be trying to figure out what to do with Lilian this time around....she's only 10 weeks old right now. Yesterday, I had her outside with me in her bouncy seat...and that'll work for the next month or 2. After that, I'll probably see if she likes the Johnny Jump Up or the swing. :O)

Just be creative, that's really all I can tell you!

NEWBIES:
    1~ Cindy (cjcjmass) **
    2~ Deb (murphysmom)**
    3~ Mary (prayerrock)
    5~ Timmy (micyrey JR) **
    6~ Nichol (gardenmom2) **
    8~ Patti (patti1957) **
    9~ Joseph (jdkind) **
    12~ Renee (eradams05) **
    14~ Holly (reeselayne)**
    15~ Angela (angela00)
    17~ Dani (dbrown1973)
    19~ Cindy (maimejo)
    20~ Shannon (njcwgrl)color>

E.G.'S:
    1~Mao (mao_tse_mom)
    2~Kami (kamiljablo)
    5~Lisa (ishareflowers)
    6~Michelle (micyrey)
    7~Janine (jaynine) *2
    8~Nikki (nikkineel)
    10~Kathy (jaleesia) *2
    11~Divahethr *2
    13~ Pat (pat6)
    14~ Diene *2
    15~ Karen (kalena67)
    16~ Toni (dirtdiggin) color>

Melissa

• paradisa
    15 years ago

I figured I'd share more about myself.

I'm happily married to my prince charming, 20 years. We have four beautiful flowers, Andrew-16, Opal Jessica-15, Gregory-13, and Dennis-11.

I live on 2 1/2 acres in a beautiful house my hubby built. We have two ponds - there are 7 deer down there now. We have a cat, 2 geese, 12 Peacocks- 5 of which we will sell in the spring. One of our peacocks 'Pots' runs around the yard free. Always comes for grapes. Plan on getting b'by ducks this spring - ours disapeared last year.

I have several flower beds, a rose garden, and 3 vegetable gardens. We also own 88 more acres behind us which have a creek running through it and a couple ponds, would love to plant some flowers/shrubs out there but don't know if I'll get to it. My gardening goals this year are to plant daylilys down our driveway. Make a new vege garden. And the biggee is to plant a 50 foot long by 7 foot high bank full of flowers/shrubs. I have been winter sowing perennials for this - hopefully they will all come up. Also have some daylily seeds winter sowing. Not to mention the regular freshening up and redoing of the beds I already have. Love to be outside planting and picking. Always try to have fresh flowers in the house.

I love to cook and bake. I also love to can. I put up over 600 jars last year and am shooting for over 1000 this year. My kids tease me - saying I'll can anything I can fit into a jar! Last year I canned vege broth I used the corn cobs, after cutting off the corn and canning it, boiled it with carrots, onions and celery. It is really good. I use it in place of boughten broths. Also dehydrated the corn silks to make tea with - kids really picked on me for that one.

I love to bargain shop, love getting a deal - with four kids and only one income you have to. When the kids were little I was known as the Garage Sale Goddess. LOL I don't garage sale much anymore but do love those coupons!

Used to work with computers, then owned my own store where I made everything in it myself. Got pregnant with my first and decided to be a stay at home mom. I have been a consultant for a stamping/scrapbooking company for over 5 years now.

GW is the funnest thing. I am having so much fun trading and making new garden friends. I am also learning so much - winter sowing? Who new?

Paradisa

• diene
    15 years ago

I forgot to answer the favorite flower query, although I have not met a flower I did not like, I would have to vote for lilies. Of course I mean asiatic, oriental, orienpet and daylilies(which aren't really lilies at all). I have way too many of all of them and still look for more.
    The snow is trying to melt and the rain is supposed to be coming tonight. I hope it stays warm so we get rain and no more snow. We have had a long winter.
    diene

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

*waving!

Hi everybody :) I just have a few minutes and wanted to pop in and say hi. I'll be back tomorrow to leave a longer post and answer the questions! :D

Hugs!
    Wendy

• reeselayne
    15 years ago

Well until I moved out to the country my favorite flowers were red roses and white daisies... the same flowers I had at my wedding. Then I was bitten by the brugmansia bug and they became my fave. Of course, I lost most of my plants during the past couple of summers.. lots of bad luck on my part. Car wreck one summer and then tonsils out last summer. Hubby is not very good at watering and taking care of plants. Even my veggie garden suffered. Well I am off to an early start this year. I have already had poison ivy twice... this last time almost put me in the hospital... Stupid idiots out here think its fun to burn the stuff... Now that I am able to keep my sanity without itching myself to death ( I have a rash in my eyes, nose, throat......) I have started getting my seedlings repotted etc. Wow... where did that tyrade come from???? lol... Pass those brownie crumbs this way!!!! In all seriousness, I love just about anything I can grow, especially things that smell wonderful (jasmines *sigh) There is however one thing I have grown that I can not stand. amorphophalus. they stink to high heaven. Oh sure they are cool looking, but when that thing bloomed, I took it to the back field and left it there. I don't think the vultures even bothered the thing! no more stinky plants....Now if I can find a pretty confederate jasmine to run along my front fence, I will be happy as can be....

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

reeselayne - I have been wanting confederate jasmine also. I just started some from seed and am hoping they germinate ***fingers crossed***

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Bunny...Bunny...can I come and play???? I would love to send to a newbie!!!! How are you, Mr. Bunny and all the little bunnies doing????

Thanks!

Annie

• dbrown1973
    15 years ago

Favorite plant? Being a military brat, my mom would keep my brother and I glued to planet earth by sending us to our grandparents house in San Antonio for the summer. I loved the forest behind his house with the two creeks and the owls and snakes and walking sticks (the actual bug) and all the plants and greenery. I just loved the trees and being able to sit in their shade and read a book and be so quiet as to see an armadillo trek on by or a bunny munching over yonder. And in the front yard my Gramps grew a bunch of cactuses (or is it cacti?). And I've always loved these succulents growing at an in-law's house in Oklahoma - just found out it was called Jade, lol. Can't wait to get some!!!

Anyways, I'm good for any kind of plant/flower/tree species, really. And I can't just pick one favorite plant. In the dorm in Colorado it was a Gerbera daisy. In Alaska it was the ornamental lettuce. In NY it was the lillies. In OK it was the potato vine (not a baker's potato but some sort of sweet potato maybe?) In TX it was anything I could get my hands on, lol. Who knows what trouble I can get into here in ND!!!

Dani in ND

• matthew.henry
    15 years ago

Hello everyone :-) Hope everyone is well. My facvorite plant?? Well I dont have one per se, I love anything edible apple trees, blackberries, blueberry, rasberry etc. A plant i recently saw on the net and thought was just a beautiful plant ( dont think i can grow it in my zone though) was the almond tree in full bloom wow is all i can it was amazing

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

OK, so I need to tell a bit about myself.
    I am married to my best friend for 19 years.
    I have a 17 year old daughter, a 15 year old son and a 12 year old son. They ARE my life! I have been gardening since before I could walk. My mom had a picture of me sitting in her gardens when I was 9 months old. I still have the dress I was wearing in that picture :-)
    My dad was a farmer, so he taught me the rewards of growing and harvesting your own food. A good hard days work is nothing to be ashamed of, he'd say. So, I grow anything I can that will feed my family. I love to can and freeze our harvest.
    My favorite plants (outside) would most definitely have to be hostas. I have been collecting hostas for several years now. I really don't have ALL that many yet, but my goal is to have 1 of every kind before I die, LoL
    I also have many daylilies, asiatic, oriental, and a few trumpet lilies. I just LOVE the fragrant at dusk!
    I have several irises. I started growing them when I was 19 years old, and have been collecting every since. I have lost the majority of the tags, so this year I am going to take pics of each of them as they bloom and give the poor fellas their names back ;-)
    I love shrubs of all kinds. My dream garden would be an English garden. I am in the process of turning this place into just that. It will be several years before I get it to look like what it does in my head, but I think it can happen!
    Lets, see, I love to cook and bake. I am a food network junkie! Ah, which reminds me....LoL...I am a tomato junkie. I just can't help myself. I am growing so far this year from seed, 74 different varieties, colors, shapes, tastes, etc. I can't wait!!! I love peppers and eggplant as well. They more unusual the color and size, the better! Especially if it is an heirloom!
    Oh, I can't forget my wee little furry kids! I have 4 "itsawhatsit" doggies. I just love, love love them!
    I love my froggies and toads that come to visit us in the warmer months. I love wildlife in general.
    Besides that, all I can think of to say is that I am/was a music teacher. I love to sing and play guitar. Our entire family plays guitars, drums, piano and sings. Just tonight, my older sons band was here practicing in the basement.
    Ah, one last thing, I am also addicted to houseplants/tropicals. My home looks like a jungle come winter :-)

I look forward to getting to know all of you. I have already traded (seeds) with some of you.
    I happen to think Kathy "ROCKS" ;-)

Have a wonderful night all,
    Carrie

• treegirl48
    15 years ago

I am sort of a newbie on here, but I am a master gardener, and do have some seeds and plants I could share, so I'd be willing to adopt a newbie. Im from southern MS., so most of my plants/seeds are suitable for hot/humid weather.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Annie! Of course you can come & play! We'd love to have you!

NEWBIES:
    1~ Cindy (cjcjmass) **
    2~ Deb (murphysmom)**
    3~ Mary (prayerrock)
    5~ Timmy (micyrey JR) **
    6~ Nichol (gardenmom2) **
    8~ Patti (patti1957) **
    9~ Joseph (jdkind) **
    12~ Renee (eradams05) **
    14~ Holly (reeselayne)**
    15~ Angela (angela00)
    17~ Dani (dbrown1973)
    19~ Cindy (maimejo)
    20~ Shannon (njcwgrl)color>

E.G.'S:
    1~Mao (mao_tse_mom)
    2~Kami (kamiljablo)
    5~Lisa (ishareflowers)
    6~Michelle (micyrey)
    7~Janine (jaynine) *2
    8~Nikki (nikkineel)
    10~Kathy (jaleesia) *2
    11~Divahethr *2
    13~ Pat (pat6)
    14~ Diene *2
    15~ Karen (kalena67)
    16~ Toni (dirtdiggin)
    17~ Annie (canyonwind)color>

I'm trying to keep up with the list, but if I miss anyone, ya'll let me know, OK? :O)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, since Melissa is currently tripping over herself to keep the lists of newbies and e.g.'s current, I'm going to ask another question for us all to answer. This is for everyone...
    Is there a plant that you wish you could get to grow, but can't for some reason? If so, what is it, and what have you tried to do to get it to grow?
    Hopefully, when someone answers this question, the rest of us can provide some helpful growing tips, and we can change everyone's luck!

I haven't really encountered any plants I can't grow, and I think that's because I learned early in my teenage years to attempt to mimic a plants' natural growing habitat. If it's a desert plant, I plant it in sand. If it's from a local forest, I give it a lot of loamy topsoil and keep the soil damp. You get the idea, I'm sure.
    There is one thing that I have trouble doing though, and it really irks me that I can't do something that others find easy to do. I have trouble propogating roses. My parents have an old climbing rose which produces crimson roses in solids and batiks. I've tried to take cuttings from it and root them in sand, to no avail. The only thing that halfway worked was taking a few longer stems and burying them in the ground. Small rose plants grew from that, thankfully, one year, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. I have a yellow tea rose in my garden which I'd like to propogate, but don't want to destroy it by botching up the job. Out of all my gardening "skills", I would love to learn a tried-and-true way to multiply my roses.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's something funny, Dan.....I CAN'T GROW CACTUS! How's THAT for incompetent? LOL Give me any other kind of houseplant, and I do fine....but give me something from the cactus/succulent family, and it's done for. It's awful.

And Dan? I wish I could help you with the rose cutting problem...but to be honest, I've tried everything I know & I have never been able to get a cutting to root. I must have tried over 30 cuttings last summer, too. Nothing worked!
    So if you find something that DOES work, be sure to share!

• diene
    15 years ago

I have no luck growing peppers. I can grow a variety of veggies but not peppers. I am partial to sweet red or yellow and have tried many times. They rot on the vine or do not even flower but grow beautiful greens. Any ideas?
    Dan I have a book on cutting and rooting that I could share if I can find it. I will look.

diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

diene, sometimes plants don't flower because of a chemical imbalance in the soil. I'm not sure about your peppers, but there are flowers which produce great foliage, but little or no flowers because of a hign nitrogen content in the soil. I discovered this the hard way one summer with my cosmos. I fertilized the soil, then planted the cosmos. I had a lot of green, lush foliage, but almost no flowers. maybe you could test your soil and see what's in it? hope this helps...

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

diene
    you are probably being too kind to your peppers. They really do not care for rich soil, too much watering or feeding.

Lots of sun is all they need.

Dan,
    check out the Rose Propagation forum here on GW, lots of great step by steps tutes on rose cuttings! Worked for me and I am hooked now!

I'd love to join y'all, but I have too much on my plate this month! best wishes to all

Frances

• reeselayne
    15 years ago

I have tried and tried gardenias but they just go belly up on me. *sigh* and they smell so wonderful too.....They seem to be doing so well and then a couple days later they are dead...They just don't like me.

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Hi All!

This is going to sound silly but I can't seem to grow carrotts. They never get big. My onions have the same problem - They come out not much bigger than they went in. Would like to grow beets this year but will probably have the same problem. My Radishes however do grow fine and they are in the ground? Go figure. Any ideas?

Lorraine
    Paradisa

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I can't get cuttings of geraniums to root. I've tried in soil, soiless mix and the water method, but they just rot.

Dan - I got a few rose cuttings to root for me using the florists foam once. But then they died.
    I usually just stick my cuttings deep into the ground in fall and forget about them. That seems to work really good.

Other things I can't keep alive, anything I plant by my walkway to get up on my deck. The mail lady won't quit walking in there and has crushed my tree peony and all my huecheras :-(. I've asked her many times to use the walkway, but she insists on cutting through the garden and then across the yard. Grrrrrr.....

Oh, I can't keep a Jade plant alive. I can grow anything else it seems, but not a Jade. I kept one for 2 years this last time, but then I mentioned to my husband that I finally did it!!!! A few days later, it crinkled up and shriveled? I guess I should have knocked on wood or something. This just happened in the last few weeks!

Carrie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Carrie, the best way I can think of to take care of your problem with your mail lady would be to get some of the plastic white picket fencing and put it between your lawn and flowers along your sidewalk. She won't be able to step over it, and it'll give a nice backdrop to your flowers while separating them from your lawn. I think the dollar store might carry it. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about...

And, you can always call her supervisor and complain. Just make sure you know her name so you are able to point the delivery supervisor to the right carrier.

Dan, a mailman

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Reese I'll be happy to take 1 or 2 cuttings of my gardenia and *try* to root it for you. Just send me an email or I might forget :) They smell WONDERFUL!!

ok Dan I simply canNOT pick ONE favorite flower.. there's too many! The plants I've had trouble growing were bell peppers. Go figure! Orchids too.. I want to grow orchids sooo badly and they always go pffttt on me!

Carrie I agree, fence her out! lol Wow that's some nerve just tromping thru your garden beds like that! I'm afraid I wouldn't have your patience and would probably be chasing her off w/ a broom or something after a 2nd incident! :P

~Wendy

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

Hello Carrie,

I have some extra fencing that I can share with you.There a 4 in a pack how many package do you think you would need?

Cindy

• diggingdevil
    15 years ago

Oh I see I am too late to join this. I haven't been able to join in much of anything since I joined in on the fun of the Card Swap in Dec.
    Could I be a newbie backup? I joined in late Nov and I don't have any plants other then a few unnamed irises and daffodils don't think too many are looking for those.
    At any rate if not, have fun everyone. This looks like it will be a fun swap.

Thank you,
    DD

• loudbaby
    15 years ago

Love to join! I'm a newbie.
    Wendy (loudbaby)

• jdkind
    15 years ago

Hello everyone.
    Favorite plant .. Hmmm. I think it depends on the time of the year. Well on fathers day it would have to be the mountian loaral.I will be posting pics after the bloom.but to pick a fav really... morningzinnabrug glory.!
    brownies and tea anyone
    Joseph

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. Peppers: Leave them alone. I used to hve trouble with them too and then last year I planted a zillion b/c I always have so much trouble with bell peppers. Well, I did not amend the soil this year and I really did not water as often. I think the biggie is that before I treated them like my tomatoes. I watered the same and fed the same. Last year it dawned on me that these are a southwest native. In other words, they LIKE a lot of heat and can be on the dry side. Let them be. Esp. if you are getting lots of lush foliage but not fruit. This means you are feeding too much or the bed is too rich. This was m exp. last year and when I planted zillions, I did not need that many. I still have baggies in the freezer of them.

Carrots. I have trouble with them too. I can gro beats and radishes like a magazine picture. But for some reason my carrots don't tend to do much of anything. Last year I actually had long skinny root but they did not grow like supposed to. But that was better than previous years when they sprouted nd then went kaput.

• matthew.henry
    15 years ago

Howdy everyone, well most gardening ive done is vegtable, and havent had any problems with growing any of that, my thumb is super green lol. But indoors, ive had some problems with some of the real finicky bromeliads wish i had the touch to grow them cause they are so beautiful. Well hope everyone is doing fine and i wanted to ask how can i post some pics on the message, cause i got some pics of some plants fresh from the nursery the other day and am dieing to share. Well see ya soon.

-Matt

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Matt, the way I post pictures is to upload them first onto photobucket, which is a totally free site. Then, whenever I want to post something, I copy the html code into my message here, and voila! I'm done! I used to be in the same boat you're in right now, but one of these helpful ladies showed me what to do, and now I post a lot of pictures!
    For those of you who aren't familiar with photobucket yet, I've posted their website below...
    Hope everyone has a great day... It's The First Day of SPRING!!!

Where I live, SPRING means the cherry trees will soon be in bloom, so I thought I'd share this picture with everyone...

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to go to Photobucket

• jdkind
    15 years ago

mountain laurel Opps haha spelling joe. those are not mine but you get the idea.
    Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: mountian laurel

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wanted to let everyone know a new thread has been started.
    Yay! :O)

• angela00
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for the advice on gardening with a newborn. These are great suggestions, and they show that it is possible to keep baby happy and playing outside. I especially liked the idea of having the baby's feet in a pool, while sitting in a walker with an umbrella over her head. How creative!

Angela

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida