Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

new: mnf march madness

diene
13 years ago

Aloha;

Sorry to start this so late but I have just returned from Oahu, my first trip to paradise but certainly not my last. March has so many great things happening that I thought I would just make this a "March Madness" round robin. Join if you would like and I would love to see lots of people!! Sign up here to let me know you are interested and then send me a private e-mail with your address and what you want to celebrate. If you can only afford a card, tell me that, if you can only afford a small box, also tell me that and if you want to send the medium flat rate that is okay also. I will pair people accordingly. There will be prizes at the end of the swap for the most fun ones and since this is my round robin, I get to be the judge!!

Some suggestions to get you thinking are of course, the lion to lamb thing, St. Pat's Day, Ides of March, Mardi Gras, well that is enough of suggestions, there are plenty more...

This will be open until March 10th and then the madness will begin.

Aloha!!! diene

Comments (113)

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Sorry, I'm late too! Missed the P.O. yesterday, working today. The box will be sent out Monday.
    :-)
    Mavis

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Emmylou, it is too late to join the March swap but Vina (flowergirl34) will be hosting a seed exchange for April. All you have to do is watch for the new MNF swap to be posted and then post that you want to join. All you need to do after that is follow her instructions and I am sure someone will help you out if you have any questions at that point.
    Welcome to GW.
    Alana

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi Em, Glad to hear the package arrived safely
    Hope the goodies keep your green thumb happy, busy, and comfortable.
    Beth

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Afternoon All;
    I want to apologize for being the worst hostess ever but things seem to keep getting in the way. Planned on having a few friends over last evening for a St. Pat's Day dinner and it morphed into an intimate dinner for 23. The logistics of that in a cold climate defies description and my kitchen today is still a disaster. DH just threw me out saying I needed to relax and he would take care of the mess. We all know that it not realistic but I did take this break.
    By the way, I did get my box out last week, we had a day that broke records, we hit 71 degrees and I used that day to ship. I think it was Thursday and I do have a DC somewhere but I have not checked.
    Great box Beth, welcome to EmmyLou, if you have any questions beyond the information Alana gave you, let us know.
    I am not even sure I put any information in the box I sent so if you receive a box with very little info, it is probably mine.
    Tomorrow will be better, now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara...

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Spring All;
    I have crocus in bloom and most of my snow is gone but tomorrow it is supposed to be replenished. Not happy about that but nothing I can do so I will make do.
    Have a wonderful evening, enjoy the moon if you can see it.
    diene

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

hi everyone! i wanted to invite you all to play a Spring Boggle Tournament if you haven't already signed up! link is below.

looks like a lot of great packages are flying about. and SO glad i'm not the only one who forgets the dc number in the car LOL

welcome Emmylou!

Here is a link that might be useful: spring boggle

• celeegra
    13 years ago

I also have to start with an apology. I am also late with my package. I had a dear family member pass away this week after less than a year of battling cancer. Most of the package is done - I just have to prepare the plants which has been challenging this week.
    I will try to get out in the next day or two.
    I did come home on Friday after the memorial to find my package from Alana - Big Bird's birthday! All bird themes including 2 daylilies (which I love) Oklahoma kicking bird & spacecoast Dixie chick. Seeds, hummingbird feeder & everything decorated with yellow & big bird smiles!
    Alana, that was the perfect pick me up & really brought a smile to my face when I needed it. Thank you so much!
    With much gratitude & love for all friends new & old, Grace

• shoestring
    13 years ago

well gals I must appologize also. unfortunately I have been sick with the PINK EYE go figure. I haven't been able to get to the p.o .but It's ready to go out monday.

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All;
    Well it is snowing again so spring was short lived here. I just checked and according to the PO, my package landed on Saturday morning. Now I do know we are all busy but common courtesy is that if you receive your package, you take the time to post receipt. If you do not have time to open it or describe the contents, that can be done later. If you are unhappy with the contents or offended, please contact either your partner or me. Do keep in mind that no one sends a box out planning on disappointing or offending their partner, why would they?
    Shoe, sorry to hear about the pink eye, thought I had that two weeks ago but it was just an irritation. That is one of the yuckiest illness.
    Hope everyone is well or on the mend.
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss Grace. I was getting worried about that package-so glad it made it safely.
    Alana

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grace I would also like to echo Alana's sentiment, cancer is a terrible thing and is becoming all to prevalent in today's world.
    On a lighter note, great boxes Rosemary, Alana and Beth, we are off to a good start. Several others have posted that they sent but there has been no confirmation of receipt. This is a very important part of not only this swap but any you are in.
    To the rest who have not yet shipped, if they are in the mail by Thursday, they should make it by the end of the month. I will organize this later and post the status of the swap this evening. I am off now to my first class for my Master Gardening creditials. I am so excited.
    diene

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Diene,

Status update... My package was delivered yesterday morning but no confirmation from the recipient yet.

Em

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Hi Rose
    I just sent your package out & realized that I left out a couple things. My mind is just not what it was. Anyway you should get the first package by Thurs. I'll follow up with the rest later this week. Sorry!!

Diene & Alana, thanks so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me.

Shoestring, I *always* get pink eye on my first day of anything since childhood - school, new school, each & every job I had. I really feel for you! All I can say is hot compress. Get better.

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

no worries! i'm sure what you sent is amazing :) and so nice of you to think of me when there's so much going on in your world. i hope your garden offers some solace.

my grandma has a really gross home remedy she always tried to get me to do whenever my daughter gets pink eye. she swears by it. wash your eye out with pee. your own apparently. yeah, grandma rose. right. no WAY am i doing that. so, ladies, be thankful we live in the age of eyedrops and antibiotics. you don't even want to KNOW what they did to cure an infected splinter. so so thankful to be a modern gal!!

• veeja11
    13 years ago

my box flew out on the 18th, I expected it to have arrived by now

• veeja11
    13 years ago

just checked on my pkg got this message
    Your item was forwarded to a different address at 8:38 am on March 22, 2011 in HUDDLESTON, VA 24104. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Track and Confirm

Enter Label/Receipt Number.

Enter Label / Receipt Number.

Detailed Results:
    Bullet Forwarded, March 22, 2011, 8:38 am, HUDDLESTON, VA
    Bullet Missent, March 22, 2011, 8:37 am
    Bullet Arrival at Post Office, March 22, 2011, 7:18 am, HUDDLESTON, VA 24104
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, March 18, 2011, 6:21 pm, KENT, WA 98032
    Bullet Acceptance, March 18, 2011, 1:34 pm, SPANAWAY, WA 98387
    lots of bullets, guess it is being forwarded to huddleston, hope it gets to the right place

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning All;
    Thanks for the info Carol, hopefully it will land in the correct place.
    Here is the tally based on what has been posted.
    I know my box arrived and so does Em but I would really like to hear about it from the recipients so I did not yet mark them as received.

Beth sent
    Em sent/received
    Nina sent
    Ruby ?
    Vina ?
    Carol sent
    Mavis sent
    Rose sent
    Alana sent/received
    Faye ?
    diene sent
    Grace sent/received.

So this is my tally based on postings on this thread. Please make sure you not only get your packages going but you acknowledge receipt and thank your donor.

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I am late in posting that I received my box. I can not seem to have time since mom passed to get anything done.
    I received my box last Saturday and it was great. The theme was Mardi Gras. I received 2 string of beads and a string of flowers. There was also flower bulbs of glads, 2 caladiums and Ivy transplant, bath salts and a candle. Also 2 maghnetic note pads. I just loved my box. Thank you very much for it. I mailed my box out yesterday again I am sorry for being late. My theme is Spring Fever and the dc# is 9101010521297514190244.
    Thanks to everyone.
    Faye!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Good morning!
    Just had a chance to post.
    I sent out my "madness" on Monday. Hopefully, since its traveling cross country, they should have it by Friday. :)

Boy, all these boxes sound great and everyone has different themes...awesome! :)

Happy Wednesday!
    vina

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Hi all! Veejall - I'm curious......was that zip 24101? Huddlestonm, VA is quite close to me!

• veeja11
    13 years ago

that was the zip but I had hardy va so hopefully if it is you it is on the right path now. just found out a business card order of mine was delivered to 169th s not e which is me. would think people would call ups but no, oh well company is going to replace the order. what the heck can the people use business cards with my info on them for ? hang in there Mavis
    hugs carol

• shoestring
    13 years ago

Hi ladies, Thanks for all the conserns and tips on the pink eye. Your right it is an ugly illness. Very painful and agrivating. Hot compresses and eye drops work pretty good but I dont think I would like to try pee.

Nina, I recieved my box today, and it was very intertaining and very creative as well as the rymes for most all of the many packs of seeds. for example; Is made from a single yellow star with 3 different sized pipe cleaners glued to it and in the middle is attached a pack of seeds blazing stars. NEET huh!I really loved each and every one of items in my box.

Oh yeah my box is in the mail.Night ladies. Ruby(shoestring)

• beautifulreddahlias
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I was unable to post due to some issues with my computer not wanting to connect to the internet! I finally after 4 days have it figured out!

So here goes,
    I recieved my box from Emily! It had a great theme: Mix and Match Bonanza. It was filled with all kinds of great things covering multiple themes for the month of march.

March 1st- peanut butter lovers day- peanut butter cups (a girl's best friend!)

March 2nd- old stuff day- old fashioned garden mix seeds

March 11th- worship of tools day- garden gloves and a weed puller (needed the puller desperatly! Thanks!)

March 12th- plant a flower day- drumstick allium bulbs ( I love bulbs and can never have too many!!!!)

March 14th- learn about butterflies day- some very cute thankyou cards with butterflies on them and a very cool receipt organizer with butterflies on it.( I will use the organizer often. My purse will look much better now!)

March 21st- fragrance day- a very nice scented candle

March 24th- national chocolate covered raisin day- a bag of chocolate covered raisins ( which I ate and enjoyed as I was going through the box!)

March 26th- make up your own holiday day- note paper with my inital.

March 28th- something on a stick day- a very cute garden flag on a stick/ pole.

I loved everything in the box! I had so much fun doing this swap, very sorry for the late post, I got my box at the begining of the week and went to post all the cool things I recieved and got an appcrash error! Thank you all for the great swap I really enjoyed doing it!
    Nina (beautifulreddahlias)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi Vina, Your package just arrived and it is Super!!!!
    Theme is "March of the Penguins",which was announced by a Black and White Penguin card,created for the occasion.
    Grass and chocolate marshmallow ( black and white) eggs for my "nest"
    A super size moisturizing stick for chapped skin.
    Glittery penguin stickers
    National Wildlife cards featuring a (B&W) panda
    a snack so i don't have to eat raw fish, Vanilla capucccino and very dark chocolate cookie sticks.
    vanilla candle and lily of the valley air freshener.
    Gloves, I think these will help when I'm cleaning up after the penguins and Pandas.
    AND, a fantastic white silky bag of seeds:
    Clematis, Arctic Queen ( who even knew there was such a thing?)
    Sunflower, Italian white ( I was going to buy this)
    Dianthus Black and white minstrel
    Evening primrose, innocense white
    Chocolate vine, (been wishing for this too)
    Marigold Snowdrift
    Dahlia Early bird
    Moon flower which I love, it reminds me of my Mom
    and some cocoa scented cosmos.
    Fantastic!!!!! I'll use these seeds to start the new garden at the ranch where I will be workin (living) until next Thanksgiving. My cabin has a great porch that used to have hops planted on two sides for shade. The last occupant Sprayed it, AAArrrrggggghhhhhh, with weed killer
    So I guess I start with a clean slate and a black and white theme garden. That's pretty exciting.
    I just love the theme and all the goodies.
    thanks so much. This has been great fun.
    Bethb

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Oh my goodnes!! I received my box today!! It is stuffed full of bulbs with the theme "Everything Coming Up Spring" What a great box! It has peonies, iris, liatris and dahlia! Plus two other varieties from Carol's garden, a windsock, seeds colorful sharpie markers! I was so excited when I received it and am so happy!

Carol, for some reason the last digit of the zip was blacked out, I guess one of the postal folks botched it up. But, the important thing is...........it made it!

Thanks so much my new garden friend!

Mavis

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh I forgot to mention another surprise in my box - beautiful blue glass seahorse hand blown(?) necklace and earrings. They are awesome!

Many Many Thanks Carol!

Mavis

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

i got my box from grace/celeegra today! the theme was dr seuss-- awesome! i love dr seuss and the weird whimsy of his books! she included 2 funky plants, cat mint and papyrus, which are already potted up and awaiting their new home, and a ton of seeds-- a chive grow kit, which will be sitting on the kitchen window sill by tomorrow, mexican hat--crazy-- crazy daisy--even crazier-- move chive seeds, purple podded beans--cool-- will go with my purple peas LOL-- and gourds--always funky. i love gourds. this was a great box with a great theme and arrived on a day when i really needed a touch of whimsy and goofiness! thank you so so much-- i love it. you couldn't have picked a better theme for me--i do so love the strange and unusual LOL

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well today made a big difference, lots of things seem to happen. Here is the latest update. What great boxes and presentations, amazing group!!

Beth sent/received
    Em sent/received
    Nina sent/received
    Ruby sent/received
    Vina sent
    Carol sent
    Mavis sent/received
    Rose sent/received
    Alana sent/received
    Faye sent/received
    diene sent
    Grace sent/received

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

What a creative group! I think I will borrow some ideas from Diene for the September swap. This one has been really fun.
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I got my box from Mavis this afternoon! :)

I have to believe my box was St.Patty's Day themed :)

It was filled with so many awesome things!!
    ~a Shamrock Teddy Bear
    ~the most gorgeous note cards (I feel kinda guilty actually using them they are that PRETTY! )
    ~Shamrock Bobble band for Taylor :)
    ~St. Patty's Day pin...too cute!
    ~St. Patty's Day temporary tatoos...I had craft day this afternoon in Taylor's class and the kids all loved these...they are GONE!
    ~a BEAUTIFUL Leprechaun door ornament...LOVES IT!
    ~Willy Wonka Chocolate Waterfall candy bar...eating as I type
    ~Big Chocolate candy bar

Thanks so much Mavis!! everything was so thoughtful of you!

Happy Friday everyone!
    vina

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I was just looking at my calendar and realized April starts next week. I'M THE APRIL HOSTESS! :)

I WAS planning on having a no limit clean out your seed stash swap, but then started thinking...most of us have cleaned them out. I know the Adopt A Newbie thread has taken care of a large chunk of my stash...

So I got to thinking...what about a ...No Place Like Home Swap? I figure since we all live in different areas of the country we could send a little of "home" to our MNF's. I want to post on Tuesday, the 29th. What do you think? :)

Okay...now I am off to the movies...
    vina

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Afternoon All;
    I just opened my box from Faye and the theme was SPRING FEVER. There were two very nice wooden cutouts one said "Peace" and the other "Friend". There were bulbs for a dutch iris called Miss Saigon and something called spring fumewort which I need to look up. Then there was a glass butterfly plate for votives and a box of candles. Also hummingbird nectar and a feeding tube. Next two garden ornaments, the first is a rock motif that says love with a lady bug and the second is a ceramic mushroom with a lady bug. Also included was a rooting tube made from glass and metal that suctions to a window. Finally there was a chocolate bunny, how can one complain about that?
    She also included a nice note on a very pretty spring card.
    Thanks, Faye, it was wonderful.

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth sent/received
    Em sent/received
    Nina sent/received
    Ruby sent/received
    Vina sent/received
    Carol sent
    Mavis sent/received
    Rose sent/received
    Alana sent/received
    Faye sent/received
    diene sent/received
    Grace sent/received
    Well we are nearing the end of this, once Carol receives her package we will be finished with this swap. I enjoyed the variety of the boxes and hearing about the different themes. I also learned from the Post Office that they not only offer one rate priority but one rate regional boxes. If I had one of those for my stuff it would have been $7.05 instead of $ 10.50 so I thought I would share that info with everyone. I ordered a bunch of them, they should be here soon. The post office will deliver them to your house for free.
    Thanks to everyone for making this so much fun. We will wait to hear about Carol's box.
    diene

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hate to be a pessimist about the dear old PO but I ordered the flat rate padded envelopes about 6 weeks ago and still have none.
    My local PO is great but the "big PO in the Sky" leaves a lot to be desired. Love the idea as saving money is the name of the game but if I can't go in and pick it up I don't count on it.
    This has been a really neat swap with all the different themes. I'm excited about spring and I bet all the others are too. It comes too slow and leaves to soon.
    Bethb

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Beth I have ordered the padded envelopes 3 times and received them each time-and I thought I had the PO from He!!, lol.
    I used one for this swap-they hold more than a small flat rate box for the same money, protect the contents and are easy to store. I have the regional rate boxes too. Thank goodness they have finally built in some price breaks for shorter hops. I hope it lasts.
    Vina, if "No Place Like Home" is about trading plants, I will jump in. I am not a big trader of "stuff". If not, that's fine. There will be other swaps.
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning! Happy Sunday!

Alana, I thought I had the PO from He**...I had no idea they had relatives in another town :) I has taken me almost a year to convince them of what prices are suppose to be and having to print out from the usps website and bring it in and SHOW them how they are suppose to be doing there job...CRAZY!

My "No Place Like Home" swap will consist of plants from your garden (home)...or if your like me and everything is still frozen to the ground and covered in snow...your "hometown" garden center can come through in a pinch :) I also was thinking that people should add a bit of there "home town" flavor to the boxes...maybe a picture of your gardens of something from your home town...like post cards or...just something that says YOU. And people can feel free to add things like...oh!! Chocolate :)...or some yummies :)...how's this sound?

Talk to you later!
    vina

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I don't remember when (if) I have ever turned down chocolate. Sounds good.

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

sounds like a good theme!

i am so excited about those onions. what do you guys think would be the best way to encourage blooms? should i cut them back a few times or just let them go? the thought of onions potentially taller than my boyfriend just makes me giggle-- SOOOO dr seuss!

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Wow everyone really was so creative with their themes! I love reading these posts, just for the surprises of each box. Diene, you are a magnificent hostess!
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words & support!
    Rose, I'm really glad that you liked what I sent.
    I was going to take a break from next month but the theme really has my mind thinking. It's hard to resist. Guess we'll see when next month rolls around. Grace

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All;
    This was fun, great group. Carol's box took a detour and I am trying to get it back on track. Sorry Carol and hopefully this will work out but I do not want to hold up the next swap so I hope Carol won't mind if I recommended Vina post her swap. I promise to stay with this until it's conclusion.
    Hope everyone has a great spring. Thanks for making this so much fun.
    diene

• shoestring
    13 years ago

Well ladies,it seems its my turn again. you must realize how humiliating it is to post this when you read it!

Carol, I deeply apologize.I had your package ready to send before most of the others . Of course then I was held up due to the pink eye.It is fine now but it seemsI am more blind now than ever I mailed your package , went out of town a few days and when i came back I had a suprise package waiting on me ,YOURS! Dumb Huh! Sorry!Carol! I will add to your package and get it to you right away.
    I will Make it worth your wait! YOU CAN TELL I AM NEW TO THE GW RIGHT?
    Ruby(Shoestring)

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Just posted April :)

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

ruby, sorry, but that's kinda funny. i can totally see myself doing that!

• shoestring
    13 years ago

Thats ok Rose I guess it is in a way but I still feel pretty stupid. Thanks for the reply though.A t least now I can laugh a little about it.

Carol thanks for the email. And ladies dont give up on me maybe I will get it right next time.It's Got to get better each time.It cant get worse. Or can It?

Ruby

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

ruby, it's just one of those things that happens, like forgetting to endorse a check or driving right past your exit (again!) on the interstate. i stopped at the store three times on monday for bread. did i come home with bread? nope. sometimes my life feels like one big brain-fart LOL

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Ruby awhile back when you posted you had pink eys I wondered if touching something you had touched would give one pink eye and was kinda wishing you didn't get me but now it has been in the box so long the virus is probably dead so lets look at it as saving me from pink eye. now looking forward to my box. hugs carol

• diene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great point Carol, maybe there was a guardian angel looking out for you. Let us know when your box arrives!!

• veeja11
    13 years ago

In life everything has a bright side, one just has to look for it hugs carol

• veeja11
    13 years ago

great box arrived from Ruby today, theme could be rhymes she send a coral vine seeds with wind chime penny royal seeds with box of wild flower seed mix , lighted st pats necklace with sunrise serenade impomena seeds, polish me gold wash scrubbie with pacific calendula seeds, don't step on me gold pats day socks with toes, blue stocking seeds, avon vanilla body lotion with vanilla marigold seeds battery operated toy gernade, seeds, rose moss, ruby grass, coreopsis early sunrise, small penstemon lavender, eyeball plant, coryopteris sureshine blue, liatris spicata, datura, gourds mix lg and small, allum hollandicum, red gem signet marigold, large sunflower, licorice mint, fun box, Thankyou miss Ruby

• shoestring
    13 years ago

sorry so late! glad you liked it!
    Ruby