Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: mnf march madness

Posted by diene Z4ME (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 14:36

Aloha;
Sorry to start this so late but I have just returned from Oahu, my first trip to paradise but certainly not my last. March has so many great things happening that I thought I would just make this a "March Madness" round robin. Join if you would like and I would love to see lots of people!! Sign up here to let me know you are interested and then send me a private e-mail with your address and what you want to celebrate. If you can only afford a card, tell me that, if you can only afford a small box, also tell me that and if you want to send the medium flat rate that is okay also. I will pair people accordingly. There will be prizes at the end of the swap for the most fun ones and since this is my round robin, I get to be the judge!!
Some suggestions to get you thinking are of course, the lion to lamb thing, St. Pat's Day, Ides of March, Mardi Gras, well that is enough of suggestions, there are plenty more...
This will be open until March 10th and then the madness will begin.
Aloha!!! diene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf march madness

i'm in!

so glad you enjoyed your trip. i've bee there once and have been longing to go back!

o

I'm in! Sending an e-mail!

o

Sounds good to me too! Sending Email.

o

I am in.
Faye!

o

Morning! Sign me up please. I'll email you later today with my box theme. :0)
Thanks!
vina

o

I'm in... I'll email you shortly.

Thanks!

Em

o

Diene, I just went to email you but there isn't one listed. Can you please contact me... Thanks!!

o

I'll play this one.
Thanks for hosting,
Alana

o

Wow, not sure what is going on but GW had wiped out my e-mail address, thanks for the heads up hostarookie. I have some great themes already not sure if I am going to post them now or wait until the boxes actually arrive. March is a very busy month. This swap is off to a great start, we will have a blast with this.
diene

o

Hi diene! Emailed my theme. Please let me know if you don't get it.
Thanks!
vina

o

I'm going to pass on this one. I'll check in from time to time to say hello. I'm participating in the obf swap and I am too busy to do two this month. Very busy at work. Have fun!

Sue N.

o

Well we already have eight people in and of the eight, I am only well acquainted with two people so I thought since this group was founded on the whole idea of getting to know each other I would do a little bio (garden related) on me and ask everyone else to do the same.
I am an old timer on GW and never would have the gardens I have if not for this site. I also have learned a tremendous amount about gardening from my association with this site.
I live in the great state of Maine, which is not quite the frozen tundra but you can see it from here. I am retired, not because I am old enough but because I want to be. Fortunately, I worked very hard when I was young and lived frugally so if inflation does not get too bad, I can be comfortable for the rest of my life.
I also married about four years ago and DH works so that helps with the financial picture. He is not retiring any time soon as I like him going to work each day!!
I have extensive perennial gardens with lots of lilies, daylilies, roses, flowering shrubs, columbine, irises, tulips, .... Too many wonderful things to mention. I am not found of plants that grow too quickly as they then to take over. I am still struggling to grow from seeds and have not tried winter sowing in years but had very marginal success when I did.
I have just returned from a week in Hawaii and it is snowing here now!!! Yuck. I am hoping for an early spring. Not sure what else to say so I will end this now. I did update my journal on my GW page (hopefully it took). Stay well all.

o

The names of the players have changed over time but some of the original MNFers (sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it?) pop into these swaps from time to time. I participated in the first swap when Diene started the group. It's nice to make the acquaintance of some newer members while touching base with old friends.
I have been a gardener since childhood and a greenhouse grower for many years but I came to GW rather late. I had to lose a job to have time to discover it.
Given a choice I always grow from seeds. Starting at the beginning is the most satisfying part of gardening for me and I take particular enjoyment in coaxing seeds notorious for being difficult to grow into germinating.
Through GW I have discovered many new plants that would never have garnered my attention otherwise and my gardens are more diverse now than I would ever have imagined.
This will be a fun swap-can't wait until the themes are revealed!
Alana

Alana

o

Good Afternoon All;
Hello poison, nice to have you join this swap. I lied yesterday when I said I had updated my journal, GW did not let me and they have now informed me they are having issues with that part of the site and hope to have it fixed soon. I will wait a day or two before I try again. I will echo what Alana said about the diversity of gardens. If you spend time here, you will learn and acquire many new plants.
I just bought some asparagus seeds which will be a challenge for me. At present moment I have about four feet of snow on the ground so it will be a few weeks before I can even get them near the ground. Not sure if they need cold to germinate, will have to look at the package but they are perennials so if I have any success, I may have asparagus for years to come.
Hope everyone is having a great day, come visit and introduce yourself!!
diene

o

I'll go next. **Standing up** "Hi! My name is Vina and I'm and iris addict." I have almost 200 of them right now give or take (and am always...ALWAYS...looking for more :0) ). I couldn't have found 1/2 of them without the GW. I especially love the heirlooms and they keep getting tougher and tougher to find.
This last summer I fell under the spell of daylilies and have started quite a little assortment of those as well. I started growing from seed a few years ago...and am hooked. I get a thrill seeing a little shoot poking out of the dirt and I think "hey! I made that happen" and I'll just beam from that for the rest of the day.
Hubs, myself and our 2 kiddos (Taylor 7 and Billy 2) live on a little over 3 acres. I have a lot of raised bed gardens and a 8,600 gallon pond with a stream bed that my daughter refers to as "The Bird Bath" :). I have also started growing different water plants, which has proven to be a little more challenging. Most of them get eaten by my fish. Ah, well...
And last but not least I really enjoy Making New Friends.

o

Hi all... I'm Emily, Em for short. I've been 'gardening' for 10 years or so BUT (and that's BIG but), it wasn't actually gardening. :-)

I'd purchase plants, flowers, shrubs, etc. from nurseries and big box stores, plant them, and then it was up to mother nature to take care of them, until something needed transplanted or thinned. Then I would temporarily step in. lol

It wasn't until the last year or two that I starting enjoying it more & more. Now I can't get enough... It also helps that my hubby enjoys working outside so he does most of my digging AND planting.

I have many flower addictions! Hostas, irises, lilies, heucheras, and the list continues to grow!

And... as Vina said, I really enjoy Making New Friends!! :-)

o

Hi everyone! I just found the MNF group last month & would love to join this month too.
My gardening addiction started when I was 4 and I stole my mother's brand new gardening gloves to dig around the hostas & rose bushes in front of our house back then. I remember flipping through bulb catalogues & salivating over gorgeous Dutch flowers. I especially loved hyacinth & muscari for some reason - I think because of the deep vivid blues & heavenly scents.
As an adult I moved to city life with the occasional houseplant, pot o' herbs, or cut flowers until last year when I finally found a true garden apartment in the city. It's not a lot of land but enough to plant a few flowers & veggies & trees. I'm also raising a little compost worm farm.

My partner & dog both think I'm nuts. I work full time so I garden early in the morning or in the evening after work. I spent years working really hard & long hours, but i've learned to make my boundaries & my gardening has been huge in keeping me grounded - literally. When I play in the dirt, my mind just lets go.

I'm really glad I discovered GW since i've already made some really good friends here & hope to make more. I'm still just learning & beginning but I'm a total geek & love to research everything.

Thanks for letting me play! Grace

o

Well,I guess it's my turn. Hi,My name Is Ruby and I am very new to the GW. I have always loved growing things.I have three sons 4 sons total.Three are mine from the first marriage and a step son from this one.I was raised on a farm where we grew all kinds of different flowers,Veggies and even some of the YUCK,stuf that my 2 older sons dip.Thats right Tobacco! We also grew lots of strawberries.
My favorite though is Flowers,especially clamatis.My parents grew beautiful clamatis of several colors that vined all up the wall of one side of our house.The house was covered on that side.I was 17 when my parents moved from VA to SC.There went the clamatis. We are all back in VA now though and unfortunately since I was married thesecond time have moved alot renting. Not much of a place for flowers,Hugh. Now I have my own home and have plenty room for all the clamatis,and sweetwilliams I want.(Granted with the help of the GW) I just moved here in nov.
I did the last round and I cant wait to make new friends and have fun with this one!!!!

Ruby( shoestring)

o

hi everyone! this is my second month participating in a mnf swap and i am having a blast :) i am a part time composition and lit prof at a local college, which gives me a lot of free time to play in my garden. i have a *ahem* slight daylily problem-- i must have at least 100 different crosses going in my bathroom right now. my first time trying them from seed; i am thinking of it as a lesson in patience and perseverance. i also have a passion for hellebore and hardy geranium this year. i have become a rabid wintersower and will now turn around in the middle of the road if i see a large plastic container in a ditch. i embarrass my child daily in all sorts of ways LOL. i like frogs and bugs and dragons and gnomes and weird things :) i am hippie-ish by nature and one of my best friends is my ancient, incontinent, and senile beagle LOL. My bf is amazing and supportive and indulges my weirdness-- he has to, he's quirkier than i am! we all live in a log cabin in the woods with no running water, a wood stove, and a fire place for heat. i am very thankful spring is approaching-- my fingers are tired of being cold :) thankfully i have gardenweb friend to feed the gardening addiction all winter long :)

o

Hi All!!!
I am very interested in joining this swap but I am fairly new to GW (since last Nov.) and am not quite sure of the rules. Are we sending a box with seeds and goodies based on the theme we pick?
I hope so 'cuz it sounds like a lot of FUN!
I'd LOVE to sign up!

Thanks!
nina

o

Hello Nina;
The rules are very simple, you can choose a March theme, let me know what it is privately. You can decide if you want to send a card only, a small flat rate box or a medium flat rate box to compliment your theme. It can contain goodies and seeds or even plants that fit your theme. The swap closes on March 10th, partners will be assigned (I am not sure if the themes will be revealed at that time or if we will wait until the boxes(cards) arrive. I will pair people based on what they are sending(ie small box to small box...)
I will then decided when all is done, who had the best theme and/or who sent the best stuff for their theme and award prizes based on my decision. I love being that...
All boxes should arrive before the end of March so that the April swap can start on time with no interference from the March swap. Delivery Confirmations are recommended and if you print & pay for postage online, they are free.
Any other questions, contact me directly. We would love to have you join.
Final rule, come visit and introduce yourself, that is what is really important, this is the Make New Friends group and we love to meet new people!!
Welcome to GW. Enjoy.
diene

o

Hello All!
I have just joined this swap and am really excited!
I became a plant maniac about 2-3 years ago when my mother gave me a few plants from her house. I really didn't go to nuts because I lived in an apartment. Although I did ask the landlord if I could put in flower beds. Last May my husband and I bought our first house and it was on!!!!
I became a seed maniac (also my mom's doing! Thanks!) when my mom suggested I try to grow my plants from seed. I LOVE IT!!!! This is my second year with seeds and my enitre house is full! Every window is blocked with seeds! Thank god my husband puts up with it!!!!
I joined GW last Oct. and I have had the time of my life! I've meet so many great people who share my affliction! I love being able to talk plants with someone and not have to watch their eyes roll:) I also love being able to give seeds to people who can really use them. You can only have so many of one kind! So it's nice to find a home for them, I always collect them because well they are there and why let them go to waste? Plus it's nice to find seeds for things I've never heard of or have a hard time finding.
I want to add a collective Thank You to everyone I've traded with, it has been a great and exciting experience that I can't wait to repeat next year!
Nina

o

I"m in how did you like oahu ? we went to maui this year and loved it may go to oahu next year, what should we do there?
carol

o

Hi Carol
if I may jump in, we went to Oahu a couple years ago -- my first time in Hawaii & I highly recommend Turtle Bay resort which is on the north shore. There are actual sea turtles that come right into the resort area! And it's close to the Audubon preserve where they have themed guided tours & the 'medicinal plants' one was especially interesting. Hanauma Bay was also breathtaking. If you're any kind of swimmer, it's worth snorkling out in the deeper waters because the sealife suddenly comes alive out there in the most amazing way. A little kitchy but I also enjoyed the Dole pineapple plantation.
We were actually thinking of going to Maui sometime soon. Any recommendations there? - grace

o

Carol, Oahu is great, they have a wonderful bus system that can take you almost anywhere on the island and it beats the traffic. We stayed in Waikiki which is downtown and walking distance to the zoo and nightlife. Went to a Luau at the Hale Koa right in Waikiki. It happens on Monday and Thursday night and was reasonably priced. Hanauma Bay is a not too miss and you have to snorkel. You do not need to go deep to see some of the most amazing fish and turtles ever. It was also mating season for the humpback whales so they were very prevalent. Stopped at Uncle Ted's Shrimp Shack and had some garlic shrimp. He is also famous for his chocolate/coconut cream pie which was wonderful. Climbed Diamond Head, would recommend you do that earlier in the day than we did but the views are spectacular. Pali's lookout is also great as it shows the other side of the island. Pearl Harbor has just reopened and there is enough there to keep you occupied for a full day. Finally there is a city owned botanical garden that is free and well worth the trip. This was the only thing that I could not do by bus but I think you can find alternate transportation. They also allow overnight camping on the weekend but you need to make reservations. I am not a camper.
There were many other things I wanted to do but I ran out of time so I will be going back. The zoo was on my list, but there were many other things also.
Well we have quite a group already but we have four more days, where is Linda? She missed the last swap and was disappointed. I will try and contact her.

o

Hi all, I just love the flexibility of this swap. Guess that means I'm in too.
My life and therefor my gardens have been a movable feast the last 10 or so years. This past weekend we decided to spend this summer (2011) working at a big ranch. I'm excited as this is something I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember.
I will be able to plant things there but it is zone 5 and there are both deer and elk to nibble whatever I try to grow. So, it will be another new learning experience for me.
Hawaii is the last state left for me to see. You gals make it sound great so, maybe we will go there next winter.
Good to see so many fun folks in this swap.
Bethb

o

Beth you need to go to Hawaii but leave yourself plenty of time. It is a long trip and there are seven islands. I hope to go back when DH retires and spend a winter. I want to get to Japan and Australia while I am there. Welcome to March madness, it will be fun. By the way, I am Zone 5 and have deer issues so I will figure out what might work for you.

o

Good morning!

Hawaii sounds wonderful!! I would love to travel there someday...when the kiddos are a little older, maybe :)

I'm also a zone 5'er with deer issues...most of the winter they have been feasting on all my juniper bushes and other evergreens. My bushes in the front of the house look like bamboo scewers with some green lint stuck to them.

My MIL's house isn't any better...one deer actually pulled back the burlap on her Rose of Sharon bush stuck its head in and went to town. She knew the culprit when the burlap got stuck around the top of its head in the middle of the night and she looked out to see the criminal with his booty planted almost right down in the snow and pulling like the dickens...then everything broke loose and there he went across the yard with a veil of burlap on top of his head, blowing in the wind. The burlap blew off and she actually went out at 3 in the a.m. to go rescue it so it wouldn't blow away. She said she wouldn't be able to get back to sleep anytime soon anyway because she was laughing so hard.

In the corn field, around the corner from my house, my daughter and I were coming home and we stopped counting at 50 deer...50+ in one herd!

Too many munching deer!

o

wow that must've been hilarious! too bad she didn't videotape it. the deer are a big problem here too and i live in hunting land. they are eating things they are not supposed to eat! i am thinking i might plant a deer garden far away from my garden, try to attract them somewhere else. we don't hunt, and i;d swear the deer know that and come here for protection!

o

I don't have much of a deer problem because I live in the village but my grandmother has lots of deer and turkeys so she put a salt lick in the back 40 for the deer and scraps for the turkeys to pick through.
Last fall she counted over a 100 turkeys then stopped because she started to lose count! She guessed the numbers to be around 200!
Turkey sandwiches anyone?

o

Hello Nina et al;
Turkeys have to be the stupidest bird I have ever seen. They are becoming somewhat of a problem for my part of the world as without DDT, they multiply like rabbits. They walk in the middle of the road and ignore honking horns. They create problems for the farmers here as they have voricious appetites and will wipe out feed left for cattle. They used to be protected but they can be hunted now and I think that will increase as the populations does.
The deer have just about disappeared from my part of the world as the area becomes built up. We know they are here but we do not see them.
The only thing dumber than a turkey would be a moose. It is frightening to know that an animal that big is that stupid but they do continue to survive.
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up so any lurkers please do so. I will post partners on Friday.

o

I am literally on the floor laughing. Thanks for your stories ladies!
I have a bit of a squirrel & possum issue myself.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the damn squirrels would at least eat what they dig up, but they just see you digging & figure there's gotta be something good down there & then chuck it off to the side in disgust when they realize it's not a tasty bulb or nut. Or the opposite where they bury acorns for "safe keeping" & forget it's there until spring when I've got a miniature oak forest cropping up among the irises.

The possums just freak me out with their flying saucer eyes in the dark & their fear of nothing.
I'd be happy to swap a few dozen squirrels & a possum family for some turkey & a deer or two. Anyone game? Grace

o

"passing around tea and brownies"..you're so right Diene, I have been amiss! ((BIG HUG)). Well, I have a grand daughter now and she's 5 months old and spends alot of time at my house. I have turned into the kind of grandmother I said I wouldn't..showing pictures, talking about her, babysitting..."sigh",,LOL!! I didn't even get any wintersowing done!...However, spring is right around the corner, isn't it? Well, I guess after the 8 inches of snow we're getting in the next two day!..LOL!!

o

Maui is a great place to take the kids a lot of the activities are geared for them, to anyone going don't miss Haleakala at dawn or sunset amazing, planning the trip thru expedia saves a lot of money. The pacific whale center sunset cruise is great, almost drown on snorkling adventure tho. loved the Ulalena musical theatre and Lahaina luau.and don't miss the banyan tree in Lahaina, takes up a whole block. Maui is more family friendly, not many hard bodies, perfect for chubby lil me Will be going to Oahu in November

o

Ladies,I cannot wait to get to get this round started. I am already getting excited just thinking about it, If everybody else is that excited this one is gonna be a bbbb-blast.
Shoestring-Ruby

o

I'm really excited about this one too Ruby!!! I've been counting down the days till partners are announced. :-)

TODAY'S THE DAY! LoL

o

Good Morning All;
I hope to get this out this morning. I have been less than stellar in paying attention to having all the info I needed and so there were several people I needed to contact this morning to ask for more info. What I need from everyone is your address, theme and what you are planning on sending. Not the specific items in your box but whether you are sending a small or medium flat rate. I did say you could send something as simple as a card but so far no one has decided to do that. If that is all you can do, I will figure something out. If you did not provide that info, please send it now!! Thanks.
The sooner you can get that to me, the sooner the madness begins!!

o

I am still waiting for addresses and if you have not yet committed to what size you will send, please let me know. If you have already sent this info, I have somehow misplaced it so please send it to me again privately. I need addresses from rosemctier, mavis07, nottougly, veega1. Thanks. diene

o

***popping in and seeing a lot of people with critter problems***
(and yes, laughing too!)

A few years ago I lived on my parents' farm, and had a massive problem with the deer eating my cosmos and morning glories. I tried everything I could think of, but didn't get any results until I mixed half a quart jar of chili powder with some liquid insecticide. It smelled nasty! I sprinkled it liberally over my flowers, and that night I only lost one more morning glory blossom. For the rest of that summer, and then next one, no deer came near my garden! The rain did knock the chili powder down to the ground, but there it stayed. I think word got out amongst the deer to avoid my garden because, like I say, no more flowers went missing, and I didn't see any more deer tracks though they did continue to forage in my parents' garden. Maybe some of you can try the same thing.
-Dan

o

Hello Dan;
Great to see you and I have successfully used both chili powder and castor oil on plants. The castor oil works as well as on critters as on people and they remember also. I have all of what I need from veega1 but the rest of you please check in!!
Those of you who are now planning your boxes, mums the word, your recipients will know soon enough, suspense is fun.
Once everyone has checked in, we will start to play games.
diene

o

Hi All,
I've got all of my info sent in! I didn't post anything about myself earlier so here goes! I'm in SW VA and have been married to DH for almost 30 years. I work full time and have several flower beds and I love my flowers. I feed birds year round and hummingbirds in season. This year I trying to increase the butterfly population with their favorite nectar and host plants! Thanks to generous gardenweb folks I have a very nice selection.

o

hmmmmmm i sent you my info yesterday. . .is the email acting wonky again? let me know please if you got it :)

chili powder. interesting. i wonder if it has any effect on gnats. i am having a horrible gnat problem despite the sticky traps and bti and everything else!

o

Good Afternoon Everyone;
Only one person has not responded so I was able to work around that. Everyone should have the name of their recipient, I will not be sharing the themes but there were no duplications for those that picked them. There were some great ones, and I am excited to see them carried out. I still have a foot of snow over most of my yard but one little corner by the house and garage is clear and there are crocus popping up. If the snow holds off for a few days, I may have my first spring flower.
I do want to apologize for being distracted when I should have been paying attention, life is getting crazy. Tonight I am going to the theater, just a comedy written by a local playwright being performed on a small theater in Portland but it has received great reviews. Tomorrow is an annual walk to raise money for cancer research. I participate every year in memory of my sister who was a victim of breast cancer at 44. Makes life much more precious for me. So the first game will have to wait until Sunday night but it will give you time to think about your boxes. Please also remember everyone in Japan when you say your prayers. My niece lived there for eight years and fortunately for us left in September to get her doctorate in England. But she has many friends and loved ones still in Japan and has not been able to contact all of them.
Finally we spring ahead tonight so do not forget that!! Daylight savings time!!
diene

o

I've had some lovely crocus blooming. Such a bright reminder that spring is coming. I have a few miniture iris blooming and hyacinth budded out. The forsythia is blooming around the area too. Hooray! I have never grown hollyhock and my MIL bought some bulbs for me to try. When I get off work I need to clear the leaves and twigs out the ditch that the rain washed into it. It will be great to be outside!

o

Hello Mavis;
I think you probably have hyancinth not hollyhock. I could be wrong but I grow hollyhock from seed not bulb. Let me know for sure.
I am very jealous of everything you have blooming as I sill have tons of snow. If those are hyancinth bulbs be aware they may put out foilage this year but I have rarely been able to get them to flower the first year. Of course your climate is much more hospitable than mine.
Enjoy either way and if you still want hollyhocks, I have plenty of seeds, mine are a deep wine color and a pale yellow with a brown eye.
diene

o

Hello everyone,
My name is Faye! and I am in zone 7 Cleveland TN. I have been a gardner since mom introduced me to it with a fresh picked tomato that was just wonderful.
I am a professional material handler with license to operate a variety of heavy equipment. (forklift, backhoe, bull dozer, scissor lift etc.)
Both my parents died recently and I inherited the old home place. My grandfather built the house starting in 1930. When he died in 1975 my family moved into the house. I have always lived here except the 6 years I lived in Augusta GA. Now that I have the house, I already lived on the property in a mobile home, I have alot more gardens to work on. Mom had 6 and my whole backyard is a garden. I love all colors so I am trying to get every color of the rainbow in my garden and now expanding to the new gardens at the house.
Mom could make me really really mad at times, really mad and angry. I always loved them and when she passed in January I miss her and dad so much. I never thought I would miss them like this. Everything I do especially working in the yard reminds me of them and I just sit down and cry and cry. They both loved working with the flowers. I am going to turn one of her gardens or two in to a memory garden for them both.
Oh yea we are having to update the house and do some remodeling before we move into it. The wiring inside the house is really really out dated.
I also have a major squirrel and a slight possum problem. Both of them loves getting on my roof of the mobile home and have a good ole party up there. They make alot of noise and there nails click.
The squirrels mess with everything I plant. Last year I took crushed red pepper you can buy for a dollar at Dollar General and sprinkled it around my plants. The squirrels did not touch nothing & the cats or dogs did not either. So I would recommend using it. It works.
Oh yea I am married 25 yrs, no kids (he has 3 grown boys)I have been laid off since 2009 and because I had been doing all the care taking for both parents until they passed I do not mind to much. But I am thinking about going back to work maybe, in the fall. I have to much here to do first.
Faye!

o

Hello Faye;
Sorry for the loss of your parents. Mine are still here but I know that when they go, I will be very sad. My parents also annoy me but that is just them getting even for all the years I annoyed them. I have always wanted to run a forklift or bulldozer, just never had the opportunity and of course, lack the skill. What fun!!
If you are thinking about memorial gardens, what were your parent's names? They have so many daylilies out there with people's names, I have created several using them. Let us know, maybe someone can help.
Things are a bit chaotic behind the scenes in this swap due to my distraction and the loose nature of the offering but I am trying to work the little glitches out.
More later.
diene

o

*peeking in* Hello! Not sure who all is still about, but I wanted to pop in and say hi!

o

Faye, I feel for you over the loss of your parents. I know it leaves such a big hole in your heart. Memory gardens are such a good idea. (hug)

You are so right Diene. The bag of hollyhocks was rootings not bulbs! DH has put the rootings in the ground already so I can't inspect them closer. I've never grown hollyhock and these were such a deep color they were almost black. I received some seeds in a swap so I'll go ahead and start more so I'll have a variety.

o

Hi again,
Dads name is Edgar William and mom is Winnie Edna.
And surprise surprise my older brother is helping me with the garden. My brother who has never helped me do anything is actually helping me.
I am glad about that.
Faye!

o

Beware of the Ides of March!!
Supposedly the unluckiest day of the year. Caesar thought so...
I believe everyone has their recipient now we will wait for the arrivals of the boxes!!
Welcome Kathy, nice to have you visit, sorry you are still having challenges but we always like to hear from you.
Games following soon.
Have a great day.
diene

o

got Alana's package mailed out today. as usual i left the dc number in the car, 1/2 mile own the road. no matter how many times i check and double check before i get out of the car, i always forget something-- only to remember it right when i step on the porch LOL. i hope you like it!

o

It's in the mail
Surprise!!!!!
Hope you like it.
Bethb

o

Well, the best laid plans, great to see boxes flying. DC numbers are not required for this swap and should not be posted. Have a wonderful day all.

o

Just wanted to send a Hello to everyone! I finally have some bulbs peeking through the layer of leaf mulch I have down! So exciting!
I'm putting my box together today and sending it out on friday, had a funeral Mon. and Tues. so I hope I'm not delaying too much!
Let's pray this warm weather stays!!!!!!

o

I mailed my surprise package this morning. I hope the recipient enjoys it!
Alana

o

I've got everything packaged up and ready to go... I'll be mailing it out tomorrow. Hope 'you' enjoy it. :-)

Em

o

I'm the first to receive!
Rosemary named her box "Luck of the Iris'". In addition to a jelly bean filled chick and cow she sent some sticky notes with a floral motif.
Best of all were the Lycoris squamigera she sent. I once had Naked Ladies and I have missed them so that was fun.
She also sent Iris "Before the Storm". I am delighted to receive a cultivar I don't have. There is a 2nd Iris. I'm not sure if it is the same one or an unnamed one.
Thank you very much Rosemary. I truly enjoyed this swap!
Alana

o
RE: new: re: mnf march madness

alana, i thought i put the tag in with it but maybe i dropped it. it is red hawk.

o

Sending out my package today! Heading out to the post office now!
Nina

o

Okay, I'm going to start off by saying SORRY!, but I'm late!

In a nice word I've had a "crazy" week.

I want to apologize to my sender, anonymous as she is :0)...and let her know I'll be shopping today and mailing on Monday.

So sorry again...maybe I need a "time out" :)
vina

o

I received my package from Beth yesterday!!! It's awesome... all kinds of necessities! She included a note explaining why she sent everything. 'Stuff' for before gardening, during, and after... too cool!

It included:

Sunscreen
Gloves (These are small enough for my hands, which is VERY hard to find!!!!!)
Fingernail clippers & file set
Energy tabs (I can't wait to try these, I can always use more energy!)
Aleve
Band-aides
Moisturizing hand wash
Body wash
Bath fizz ball
Bath sponge
Gardening with heirlooms book
Candy
Oregano plant
Irises

I LOVE everything Beth!!! Thank you for a wonderful package!!

Em

o
mnf how to start for a new person on site

Hi, would anyone be kind enough to help me learn to navigate the site & get ready to participate in the next mnf exchange?
Thank you. Emmylou

o

Sorry, I'm late too! Missed the P.O. yesterday, working today. The box will be sent out Monday.
:-)
Mavis

o

Emmylou, it is too late to join the March swap but Vina (flowergirl34) will be hosting a seed exchange for April. All you have to do is watch for the new MNF swap to be posted and then post that you want to join. All you need to do after that is follow her instructions and I am sure someone will help you out if you have any questions at that point.
Welcome to GW.
Alana

o

Hi Em, Glad to hear the package arrived safely
Hope the goodies keep your green thumb happy, busy, and comfortable.
Beth

o

Good Afternoon All;
I want to apologize for being the worst hostess ever but things seem to keep getting in the way. Planned on having a few friends over last evening for a St. Pat's Day dinner and it morphed into an intimate dinner for 23. The logistics of that in a cold climate defies description and my kitchen today is still a disaster. DH just threw me out saying I needed to relax and he would take care of the mess. We all know that it not realistic but I did take this break.
By the way, I did get my box out last week, we had a day that broke records, we hit 71 degrees and I used that day to ship. I think it was Thursday and I do have a DC somewhere but I have not checked.
Great box Beth, welcome to EmmyLou, if you have any questions beyond the information Alana gave you, let us know.
I am not even sure I put any information in the box I sent so if you receive a box with very little info, it is probably mine.
Tomorrow will be better, now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara...

o
Happy Spring

Happy Spring All;
I have crocus in bloom and most of my snow is gone but tomorrow it is supposed to be replenished. Not happy about that but nothing I can do so I will make do.
Have a wonderful evening, enjoy the moon if you can see it.
diene

o

hi everyone! i wanted to invite you all to play a Spring Boggle Tournament if you haven't already signed up! link is below.

looks like a lot of great packages are flying about. and SO glad i'm not the only one who forgets the dc number in the car LOL

welcome Emmylou!

Here is a link that might be useful: spring boggle

o

I also have to start with an apology. I am also late with my package. I had a dear family member pass away this week after less than a year of battling cancer. Most of the package is done - I just have to prepare the plants which has been challenging this week.
I will try to get out in the next day or two.
I did come home on Friday after the memorial to find my package from Alana - Big Bird's birthday! All bird themes including 2 daylilies (which I love) Oklahoma kicking bird & spacecoast Dixie chick. Seeds, hummingbird feeder & everything decorated with yellow & big bird smiles!
Alana, that was the perfect pick me up & really brought a smile to my face when I needed it. Thank you so much!
With much gratitude & love for all friends new & old, Grace

o

well gals I must appologize also. unfortunately I have been sick with the PINK EYE go figure. I haven't been able to get to the p.o .but It's ready to go out monday.

o

Hello All;
Well it is snowing again so spring was short lived here. I just checked and according to the PO, my package landed on Saturday morning. Now I do know we are all busy but common courtesy is that if you receive your package, you take the time to post receipt. If you do not have time to open it or describe the contents, that can be done later. If you are unhappy with the contents or offended, please contact either your partner or me. Do keep in mind that no one sends a box out planning on disappointing or offending their partner, why would they?
Shoe, sorry to hear about the pink eye, thought I had that two weeks ago but it was just an irritation. That is one of the yuckiest illness.
Hope everyone is well or on the mend.
diene

o

I'm sorry for your loss Grace. I was getting worried about that package-so glad it made it safely.
Alana

o

Grace I would also like to echo Alana's sentiment, cancer is a terrible thing and is becoming all to prevalent in today's world.
On a lighter note, great boxes Rosemary, Alana and Beth, we are off to a good start. Several others have posted that they sent but there has been no confirmation of receipt. This is a very important part of not only this swap but any you are in.
To the rest who have not yet shipped, if they are in the mail by Thursday, they should make it by the end of the month. I will organize this later and post the status of the swap this evening. I am off now to my first class for my Master Gardening creditials. I am so excited.
diene

o

Diene,

Status update... My package was delivered yesterday morning but no confirmation from the recipient yet.

Em

o

Hi Rose
I just sent your package out & realized that I left out a couple things. My mind is just not what it was. Anyway you should get the first package by Thurs. I'll follow up with the rest later this week. Sorry!!

Diene & Alana, thanks so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me.

Shoestring, I *always* get pink eye on my first day of anything since childhood - school, new school, each & every job I had. I really feel for you! All I can say is hot compress. Get better.

o

no worries! i'm sure what you sent is amazing :) and so nice of you to think of me when there's so much going on in your world. i hope your garden offers some solace.

my grandma has a really gross home remedy she always tried to get me to do whenever my daughter gets pink eye. she swears by it. wash your eye out with pee. your own apparently. yeah, grandma rose. right. no WAY am i doing that. so, ladies, be thankful we live in the age of eyedrops and antibiotics. you don't even want to KNOW what they did to cure an infected splinter. so so thankful to be a modern gal!!

o

my box flew out on the 18th, I expected it to have arrived by now

o
RE: my traveling pkg

just checked on my pkg got this message
Your item was forwarded to a different address at 8:38 am on March 22, 2011 in HUDDLESTON, VA 24104. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Track and Confirm

Enter Label/Receipt Number.

Enter Label / Receipt Number.

Detailed Results:
Bullet Forwarded, March 22, 2011, 8:38 am, HUDDLESTON, VA
Bullet Missent, March 22, 2011, 8:37 am
Bullet Arrival at Post Office, March 22, 2011, 7:18 am, HUDDLESTON, VA 24104
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, March 18, 2011, 6:21 pm, KENT, WA 98032
Bullet Acceptance, March 18, 2011, 1:34 pm, SPANAWAY, WA 98387
lots of bullets, guess it is being forwarded to huddleston, hope it gets to the right place

o

Early crocus

Good Morning All;
Thanks for the info Carol, hopefully it will land in the correct place.
Here is the tally based on what has been posted.
I know my box arrived and so does Em but I would really like to hear about it from the recipients so I did not yet mark them as received.

Beth sent
Em sent/received
Nina sent
Ruby ?
Vina ?
Carol sent
Mavis sent
Rose sent
Alana sent/received
Faye ?
diene sent
Grace sent/received.

So this is my tally based on postings on this thread. Please make sure you not only get your packages going but you acknowledge receipt and thank your donor.
March 18th

o

Hello,
I am late in posting that I received my box. I can not seem to have time since mom passed to get anything done.
I received my box last Saturday and it was great. The theme was Mardi Gras. I received 2 string of beads and a string of flowers. There was also flower bulbs of glads, 2 caladiums and Ivy transplant, bath salts and a candle. Also 2 maghnetic note pads. I just loved my box. Thank you very much for it. I mailed my box out yesterday again I am sorry for being late. My theme is Spring Fever and the dc# is 9101010521297514190244.
Thanks to everyone.
Faye!

o

Good morning!
Just had a chance to post.
I sent out my "madness" on Monday. Hopefully, since its traveling cross country, they should have it by Friday. :)

Boy, all these boxes sound great and everyone has different themes...awesome! :)

Happy Wednesday!
vina

o

Hi all! Veejall - I'm curious......was that zip 24101? Huddlestonm, VA is quite close to me!

o

that was the zip but I had hardy va so hopefully if it is you it is on the right path now. just found out a business card order of mine was delivered to 169th s not e which is me. would think people would call ups but no, oh well company is going to replace the order. what the heck can the people use business cards with my info on them for ? hang in there Mavis
hugs carol

o

Hi ladies, Thanks for all the conserns and tips on the pink eye. Your right it is an ugly illness. Very painful and agrivating. Hot compresses and eye drops work pretty good but I dont think I would like to try pee.

Nina, I recieved my box today, and it was very intertaining and very creative as well as the rymes for most all of the many packs of seeds. for example; Is made from a single yellow star with 3 different sized pipe cleaners glued to it and in the middle is attached a pack of seeds blazing stars. NEET huh!I really loved each and every one of items in my box.

Oh yeah my box is in the mail.Night ladies. Ruby(shoestring)

o

Hello Everyone!

I was unable to post due to some issues with my computer not wanting to connect to the internet! I finally after 4 days have it figured out!

So here goes,
I recieved my box from Emily! It had a great theme: Mix and Match Bonanza. It was filled with all kinds of great things covering multiple themes for the month of march.

March 1st- peanut butter lovers day- peanut butter cups (a girl's best friend!)

March 2nd- old stuff day- old fashioned garden mix seeds

March 11th- worship of tools day- garden gloves and a weed puller (needed the puller desperatly! Thanks!)

March 12th- plant a flower day- drumstick allium bulbs ( I love bulbs and can never have too many!!!!)

March 14th- learn about butterflies day- some very cute thankyou cards with butterflies on them and a very cool receipt organizer with butterflies on it.( I will use the organizer often. My purse will look much better now!)

March 21st- fragrance day- a very nice scented candle

March 24th- national chocolate covered raisin day- a bag of chocolate covered raisins ( which I ate and enjoyed as I was going through the box!)

March 26th- make up your own holiday day- note paper with my inital.

March 28th- something on a stick day- a very cute garden flag on a stick/ pole.

I loved everything in the box! I had so much fun doing this swap, very sorry for the late post, I got my box at the begining of the week and went to post all the cool things I recieved and got an appcrash error! Thank you all for the great swap I really enjoyed doing it!
Nina (beautifulreddahlias)

o

Hi Vina, Your package just arrived and it is Super!!!!
Theme is "March of the Penguins",which was announced by a Black and White Penguin card,created for the occasion.
Grass and chocolate marshmallow ( black and white) eggs for my "nest"
A super size moisturizing stick for chapped skin.
Glittery penguin stickers
National Wildlife cards featuring a (B&W) panda
a snack so i don't have to eat raw fish, Vanilla capucccino and very dark chocolate cookie sticks.
vanilla candle and lily of the valley air freshener.
Gloves, I think these will help when I'm cleaning up after the penguins and Pandas.
AND, a fantastic white silky bag of seeds:
Clematis, Arctic Queen ( who even knew there was such a thing?)
Sunflower, Italian white ( I was going to buy this)
Dianthus Black and white minstrel
Evening primrose, innocense white
Chocolate vine, (been wishing for this too)
Marigold Snowdrift
Dahlia Early bird
Moon flower which I love, it reminds me of my Mom
and some cocoa scented cosmos.
Fantastic!!!!! I'll use these seeds to start the new garden at the ranch where I will be workin (living) until next Thanksgiving. My cabin has a great porch that used to have hops planted on two sides for shade. The last occupant Sprayed it, AAArrrrggggghhhhhh, with weed killer
So I guess I start with a clean slate and a black and white theme garden. That's pretty exciting.
I just love the theme and all the goodies.
thanks so much. This has been great fun.
Bethb

o

Oh my goodnes!! I received my box today!! It is stuffed full of bulbs with the theme "Everything Coming Up Spring" What a great box! It has peonies, iris, liatris and dahlia! Plus two other varieties from Carol's garden, a windsock, seeds colorful sharpie markers! I was so excited when I received it and am so happy!

Carol, for some reason the last digit of the zip was blacked out, I guess one of the postal folks botched it up. But, the important thing is...........it made it!

Thanks so much my new garden friend!

Mavis

o
RE: mnf march madness

Oh my gosh I forgot to mention another surprise in my box - beautiful blue glass seahorse hand blown(?) necklace and earrings. They are awesome!

Many Many Thanks Carol!

Mavis

o

i got my box from grace/celeegra today! the theme was dr seuss-- awesome! i love dr seuss and the weird whimsy of his books! she included 2 funky plants, cat mint and papyrus, which are already potted up and awaiting their new home, and a ton of seeds-- a chive grow kit, which will be sitting on the kitchen window sill by tomorrow, mexican hat--crazy-- crazy daisy--even crazier-- move chive seeds, purple podded beans--cool-- will go with my purple peas LOL-- and gourds--always funky. i love gourds. this was a great box with a great theme and arrived on a day when i really needed a touch of whimsy and goofiness! thank you so so much-- i love it. you couldn't have picked a better theme for me--i do so love the strange and unusual LOL

o

Well today made a big difference, lots of things seem to happen. Here is the latest update. What great boxes and presentations, amazing group!!

Beth sent/received
Em sent/received
Nina sent/received
Ruby sent/received
Vina sent
Carol sent
Mavis sent/received
Rose sent/received
Alana sent/received
Faye sent/received
diene sent
Grace sent/received

o

What a creative group! I think I will borrow some ideas from Diene for the September swap. This one has been really fun.
Alana

o

I got my box from Mavis this afternoon! :)

I have to believe my box was St.Patty's Day themed :)

It was filled with so many awesome things!!
~a Shamrock Teddy Bear
~the most gorgeous note cards (I feel kinda guilty actually using them they are that PRETTY! )
~Shamrock Bobble band for Taylor :)
~St. Patty's Day pin...too cute!
~St. Patty's Day temporary tatoos...I had craft day this afternoon in Taylor's class and the kids all loved these...they are GONE!
~a BEAUTIFUL Leprechaun door ornament...LOVES IT!
~Willy Wonka Chocolate Waterfall candy bar...eating as I type
~Big Chocolate candy bar

Thanks so much Mavis!! everything was so thoughtful of you!

Happy Friday everyone!
vina

o
RE: new: mnf april

I was just looking at my calendar and realized April starts next week. I'M THE APRIL HOSTESS! :)

I WAS planning on having a no limit clean out your seed stash swap, but then started thinking...most of us have cleaned them out. I know the Adopt A Newbie thread has taken care of a large chunk of my stash...

So I got to thinking...what about a ...No Place Like Home Swap? I figure since we all live in different areas of the country we could send a little of "home" to our MNF's. I want to post on Tuesday, the 29th. What do you think? :)

Okay...now I am off to the movies...
vina

o
re: spring fever!!

Good Afternoon All;
I just opened my box from Faye and the theme was SPRING FEVER. There were two very nice wooden cutouts one said "Peace" and the other "Friend". There were bulbs for a dutch iris called Miss Saigon and something called spring fumewort which I need to look up. Then there was a glass butterfly plate for votives and a box of candles. Also hummingbird nectar and a feeding tube. Next two garden ornaments, the first is a rock motif that says love with a lady bug and the second is a ceramic mushroom with a lady bug. Also included was a rooting tube made from glass and metal that suctions to a window. Finally there was a chocolate bunny, how can one complain about that?
She also included a nice note on a very pretty spring card.
Thanks, Faye, it was wonderful.

o

Beth sent/received
Em sent/received
Nina sent/received
Ruby sent/received
Vina sent/received
Carol sent
Mavis sent/received
Rose sent/received
Alana sent/received
Faye sent/received
diene sent/received
Grace sent/received
Well we are nearing the end of this, once Carol receives her package we will be finished with this swap. I enjoyed the variety of the boxes and hearing about the different themes. I also learned from the Post Office that they not only offer one rate priority but one rate regional boxes. If I had one of those for my stuff it would have been $7.05 instead of $ 10.50 so I thought I would share that info with everyone. I ordered a bunch of them, they should be here soon. The post office will deliver them to your house for free.
Thanks to everyone for making this so much fun. We will wait to hear about Carol's box.
diene

o

Hate to be a pessimist about the dear old PO but I ordered the flat rate padded envelopes about 6 weeks ago and still have none.
My local PO is great but the "big PO in the Sky" leaves a lot to be desired. Love the idea as saving money is the name of the game but if I can't go in and pick it up I don't count on it.
This has been a really neat swap with all the different themes. I'm excited about spring and I bet all the others are too. It comes too slow and leaves to soon.
Bethb

o

Beth I have ordered the padded envelopes 3 times and received them each time-and I thought I had the PO from He!!, lol.
I used one for this swap-they hold more than a small flat rate box for the same money, protect the contents and are easy to store. I have the regional rate boxes too. Thank goodness they have finally built in some price breaks for shorter hops. I hope it lasts.
Vina, if "No Place Like Home" is about trading plants, I will jump in. I am not a big trader of "stuff". If not, that's fine. There will be other swaps.
Alana

o

Morning! Happy Sunday!

Alana, I thought I had the PO from He**...I had no idea they had relatives in another town :) I has taken me almost a year to convince them of what prices are suppose to be and having to print out from the usps website and bring it in and SHOW them how they are suppose to be doing there job...CRAZY!

My "No Place Like Home" swap will consist of plants from your garden (home)...or if your like me and everything is still frozen to the ground and covered in snow...your "hometown" garden center can come through in a pinch :) I also was thinking that people should add a bit of there "home town" flavor to the boxes...maybe a picture of your gardens of something from your home town...like post cards or...just something that says YOU. And people can feel free to add things like...oh!! Chocolate :)...or some yummies :)...how's this sound?

Talk to you later!
vina

o

I don't remember when (if) I have ever turned down chocolate. Sounds good.

o

sounds like a good theme!

i am so excited about those onions. what do you guys think would be the best way to encourage blooms? should i cut them back a few times or just let them go? the thought of onions potentially taller than my boyfriend just makes me giggle-- SOOOO dr seuss!

o

Wow everyone really was so creative with their themes! I love reading these posts, just for the surprises of each box. Diene, you are a magnificent hostess!
Thanks to everyone for your kind words & support!
Rose, I'm really glad that you liked what I sent.
I was going to take a break from next month but the theme really has my mind thinking. It's hard to resist. Guess we'll see when next month rolls around. Grace

o

Hello All;
This was fun, great group. Carol's box took a detour and I am trying to get it back on track. Sorry Carol and hopefully this will work out but I do not want to hold up the next swap so I hope Carol won't mind if I recommended Vina post her swap. I promise to stay with this until it's conclusion.
Hope everyone has a great spring. Thanks for making this so much fun.
diene

o

Well ladies,it seems its my turn again. you must realize how humiliating it is to post this when you read it!

Carol, I deeply apologize.I had your package ready to send before most of the others . Of course then I was held up due to the pink eye.It is fine now but it seemsI am more blind now than ever I mailed your package , went out of town a few days and when i came back I had a suprise package waiting on me ,YOURS! Dumb Huh! Sorry!Carol! I will add to your package and get it to you right away.
I will Make it worth your wait! YOU CAN TELL I AM NEW TO THE GW RIGHT?
Ruby(Shoestring)

o

Hi all!
Just posted April :)

o

ruby, sorry, but that's kinda funny. i can totally see myself doing that!

o

Thats ok Rose I guess it is in a way but I still feel pretty stupid. Thanks for the reply though.A t least now I can laugh a little about it.

Carol thanks for the email. And ladies dont give up on me maybe I will get it right next time.It's Got to get better each time.It cant get worse. Or can It?

Ruby

o

ruby, it's just one of those things that happens, like forgetting to endorse a check or driving right past your exit (again!) on the interstate. i stopped at the store three times on monday for bread. did i come home with bread? nope. sometimes my life feels like one big brain-fart LOL

o

Ruby awhile back when you posted you had pink eys I wondered if touching something you had touched would give one pink eye and was kinda wishing you didn't get me but now it has been in the box so long the virus is probably dead so lets look at it as saving me from pink eye. now looking forward to my box. hugs carol

o

Great point Carol, maybe there was a guardian angel looking out for you. Let us know when your box arrives!!

o

In life everything has a bright side, one just has to look for it hugs carol

o

great box arrived from Ruby today, theme could be rhymes she send a coral vine seeds with wind chime penny royal seeds with box of wild flower seed mix , lighted st pats necklace with sunrise serenade impomena seeds, polish me gold wash scrubbie with pacific calendula seeds, don't step on me gold pats day socks with toes, blue stocking seeds, avon vanilla body lotion with vanilla marigold seeds battery operated toy gernade, seeds, rose moss, ruby grass, coreopsis early sunrise, small penstemon lavender, eyeball plant, coryopteris sureshine blue, liatris spicata, datura, gourds mix lg and small, allum hollandicum, red gem signet marigold, large sunflower, licorice mint, fun box, Thankyou miss Ruby

o

sorry so late! glad you liked it!
Ruby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here