Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

kilngod
13 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***

(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14

--payment of the postage can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. make sure your email setting is correct (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.

--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.

--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not...

Comments (150)

• piscesfish
    12 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to seed saving and seed exchanging. I would love to be adopted. I'm interested in veggies, especially winter squashes, melons, and gourds. I live in Oklahoma in zone 6. Thanks,

Kelly

• piksi_hk
    12 years ago

I'm going to adopt Astroknot. Sending email.

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Jennifer9906, your newbie bubbler is headed out in the morning! Enjoy!

I feel terrible....I was just going through this entire thread. I missed two people in zone 9 and 10 that I could have helped out....LEKENNEDY4 and ASTROKNOT. Oh my...they have been waiting a while to be adopted!! I see that pikisi hk just adopted Astroknot. I will send LEKENNEDY4 an email....hopefully, he/she is still interested.

Thanks!

Annie

• grovespirit
    12 years ago

I'd like to adopt Zenlikeme, piscesfish, and
    melody777 (if she will let me know what state she's in).
    Sending messages to all 3! :)

Zenlikeme has similar growing conditions; we are both tropical gardeners.
    Plenty of excess melon and squash seeds to send to pisces. And just like melody- I am growing some things in a hot swampy area. :)

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

LEKENNEDY4 and I have touched base. She is adopted...finally!

Thanks!

Annie

• kilngod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

palmcitrusbananavaz7 (So VA) ---- check your profile settings. Your posting line says you are zone 8...you should change that if you're z7.

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 5:
    jlee160 (5b Michigan) (interests: edible landscape, flowers)
    sunflowerlove25 (Illinois) (interests: container gardening, veggies, herbs, shade plants)
    bigkemt (NE Ohio) (interests: veggies, fruits, heirlooms)

Zone 6:
    razkeys (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
    sixmillerz (6a SW Missouri) (interests: OP heirloom veggies)
    miafolks2011 (springfield mass) (interests: veggies, fruits)
    molotschna (6a Kansas) (interests include coleus, houseplants, see page)
    wshifra (NJ) (interests: tomatoes, herbs, perennial flowers)
    h_mclellan (6b TN) (interests: part sun/shade, natives, wildlife attractors, has clay soil)
    hootiesmomma (KY) (interests: veggies, fruits, edibles)

Zone 7:
    at2bells (state unknown, please post) (interests: anything; has a few wants on trade list)
    kidsandcats (state unk, please post) (interests: any houseplants)
    mellovesgardening (7b Eastern Georgia) (interests: butterfly bushes, hostas, houseplants, veggies, fruits)
    sweet_clementine (MD/DC) (interests: natives, shade/part sun, often wet/swampy, forested palustrine wetlands...& shade/sun cottage/butterfly/bird garden, has better drainage)
    palmcitrusbananavaz7 (So VA) (interests: daylillies, brugs, cannas)

Zone 8:
    deebie (8a SC) (interests: sun perennials, houseplants)

Zone 9:

Zone 10:

Adoptions in-process or completed:

melody777 zone 9 (grovespirit)
    zenlikeme zone 9b/10a Florida (grovespirit)
    piscesfish zone 6 OK (grovespirit)
    LEKennedy4 zone 10 (canyonwind)
    Astroknot zone 10a CA (piksi_hk)
    wispfox zone 6a Waltham, MA (celeegra)
    toybee zone 7 Central NC (naturegirl236)
    lat4005 zone 7b NC (naturegirl236)
    Jennifer9906 zone 8/9 Texas Coast (canyonwind)
    hrg126 zone 6 WV (beth_b_kodiak)
    Epilogue1212 zone 6 (flowergirl34)
    vv79 zone 7 VA (mavis07)
    harpspiel zone 6 (kms4me)
    PABoognish zone 6 PA (cryptid)
    drsanjose zone 9 So. Cal (socalgal)
    onethousandblooms zone 9 California (canyonwind)
    *** and 50 others!! ***

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Jennifer9906 emailed me that she received her newbie seeds.....adoption complete!!!!

Lekennedy4's newbie bubbler is headed out today!!!

Happy Gardening to all!

Annie

• mavis07
    12 years ago

vv79 posted that she received her seeds....adoption complete!

Mavis07

• plant-one-on-me
    12 years ago

I don't get on the computer much lately but found a newbie I am willing to adopt if he is still interested...BIGKEMT. I will send an email to see if he is still interested since I see his post is quite old. Kim

• bigkemt
    12 years ago

I got my email I am adopted.

• lekennedy4
    12 years ago

I received my package from Annie (canyonwind) today. She is amazing! There are probably 50 different seed varieties; all individually labeled. I am so excited to get my garden going! THANK YOU ANNIE!!!!!

• palmcitrusbananava
    12 years ago

Kilngod, I am so close to zone 8, so I am basically on the border.
    I am on the southernmost tip of Virginia. Some hardiness maps put me down as zone 7 and some zone 8. Not sure on what to leave it as...

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Received my package from celeegra this weekend; _SO MUCH STUFF_! It felt a lot like christmas. :)

Get to learn about all sorts of things, and very excited! Thanks so much, celeegra!

• flux_capacitor
    12 years ago

Hi there all. This is very awesome and I wish that I had discovered this thread earlier.

I personally have a lot of seeds, as I bought a ton this year. Hopefully I will save seed this year and have seed to trade and contribute to coolness like this.

I'm interested in vegetables, grains, flowers, herbs and oddities. Basically anything. I've dug up my front yard (south facing house) and have vegetables going as well as seedlings on the way. I'm working about being sustainable as well as having an integrated form of small-scale agriculture smack dab in the city. In other words, I grow plants and rabbits and chickens -- this means that almost every plant could have some value in terms of use. And i consider beauty valuable as well.

I live in zone 7 in the schizoid weather state of Oklahoma. Though it has been pretty nice lately. So thanks in advance for your consideration, and I hope to be a GW veteran someday.

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Bump

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

WOW...WOW...WOW...I received the most lovely surprise in the weekend mail from my recently adopted newbie. LEKENNEDY4 sent me a $25.00 gift certificate to Mountain Valley Growers, a garden supplier of all kinds of great things...plants, tools, fertilizers etc...........
    I can not thank you enough!!!! Needless to say, I was pleasantly stunned when I opened the envelope...LOL!
    Happy Gardening!!!

Annie

• ozarkgirl
    12 years ago

Hi I'm a newbie and request that I be adopted. Thank you, OzarkGirl. m_cajun@hotmail.com

• chipper4444
    12 years ago

hello all of you wonderful gardeners
    i am a newbie and i have nothing to start with . i am looking to be adopted. . i am wanting seeds for herbs of any kind , oh darn i will try any seeds that anyone sends me. and i will accept all who want to adopt me......
    i have some seeds on my list .....

• chipper4444
    12 years ago

i forget my state and zone, ohio zone 5
    i hope to have offers of being adopted soon
    thanks

• heavensqt
    12 years ago

Hello everyone! My toddler and I would love to be adopted. He is very much into gardening and loves to take care of his snapdragon. lol :D We are in Tx zone 8. We are interested in any pretty flowers and veggie seeds. Thanks in advance and God bless.

• cry24
    12 years ago

Hi, I am a newbie and would love to be adopted!! I haven't done a wanted list yet, but some of the things I am looking for are: any shade or sun perennials, any type of veggies, herbs, any type of hardy tropical looking plant seeds(ie. hibiscus, cactus,etc.). I live in zone 7b in N.C.
    Would love to bring life to the outside of our new house!! Thanks you so much!! Crystal

• ShellJo77
    12 years ago

I am a newbie and I would love to be adopted. :) Leaving this message and then checking my email settings :)

• lieblingxdasxkraut
    12 years ago

I too am a noobie I am in Wisconsin zone 5 and would like to grow a variety of fruits herbs and flowers there is a little more information on my trade page

Thank you for giving me this chance

• GrowingBeauty
    12 years ago

Oopsie, forgot to mention I live in Louisiana Zone 8. Thanks again and I apologize for forgetting to put the zone in there :)

• GrowingBeauty
    12 years ago

I am a newbie here and I am loving gardening. My faveorite things to plant are mostly Veggies and fruits. I am still learning all the ropes of gardening, so I would love to be adopted by someone who can give me wisdom in all things gardening :) Thanks!

• ScrapNCrafty
    12 years ago

Hello!

I am a newbie and would love to be adopted!

I have 4 kids and not only do we want to grow a garden for our selves, but also a community garden as well.

Jen

• LouisePace
    12 years ago

I'm a newbie; I'd love to be adopted! I'm looking to make my kitties happy! Thanks to anyone who can help!!

• BotanicalPioneer
    12 years ago

Hi my name is Nate and I would like to be adopted :) ,I live in Arizona(Mohave Desert) Zone 9 .I like to grow Herbs,Veggies & Edible Flowers. Would also like some advice on what grows best in this geographic area.Thank You

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

I'm a newbie and would like to be adopted lol, that sounds kind of strange ;) I love to garden, and I am interested in Veggies, fruits, Perennial Flowers and tropical flowers/plants. I live in Ohio. Thanks! Looking forward to getting to know some people!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Bump!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Attn: Ozarkgirl. I sent you an email.

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Bump!

• kilngod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ShellJo77 -- Post here and tell us your state and some general gardening interests. You're more likely to be adopted and adopted better if your veteran matches part of your interests.

ScrapNCrafty -- post a zone and I can put you on the list.

palmcitrusbananavaz7 -- gotcha, on the border.

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 5:
    jlee160 (5b Michigan) (interests: edible landscape, flowers)
    sunflowerlove25 (Illinois) (interests: container gardening, veggies, herbs, shade plants)
    chipper4444 (OH) (intersts: herbs, anything really)
    ShellJo77 (state unk) (interests: unk)
    lieblingxdasxkraut (WI) (interests: perennials, annuals, any veggies/fruits especially heirlooms)

Zone 6:
    razkeys (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
    sixmillerz (6a SW Missouri) (interests: OP heirloom veggies)
    miafolks2011 (springfield mass) (interests: veggies, fruits)
    molotschna (6a Kansas) (interests include coleus, houseplants, see page)
    wshifra (NJ) (interests: tomatoes, herbs, perennial flowers)
    h_mclellan (6b TN) (interests: part sun/shade, natives, wildlife attractors, has clay soil)
    hootiesmomma (KY) (interests: veggies, fruits, edibles)
    ozarkgirl (state unk) (interests: unk)
    LouisePace (Phila,PA) (interests: native plants/flowers, cat plants, herbs, grasses)
    lovesherflowers (NE OH) (interests: perennials, tropicals, fruits, veggies)

Zone 7:
    at2bells (state unknown, please post) (interests: anything; has a few wants on trade list)
    kidsandcats (state unk, please post) (interests: any houseplants)
    mellovesgardening (7b Eastern Georgia) (interests: butterfly bushes, hostas, houseplants, veggies, fruits)
    sweet_clementine (MD/DC) (interests: natives, shade/part sun, often wet/swampy, forested palustrine wetlands...& shade/sun cottage/butterfly/bird garden, has better drainage)
    palmcitrusbananavaz7 (7/8 So VA) (interests: daylillies, brugs, cannas)
    flux_capacitor (OK) (interests: small urban agriculture, sustainability, vegetables, grains, flowers, herbs, oddities)
    cry24 (7b NC) (interests: shade or sun perennials, any veggies or herbs, hardy tropical looking things)

Zone 8:
    deebie (8a SC) (interests: sun perennials, houseplants)
    heavensqt (TX) (intersts: toddler gardening, flowers, veggies)
    GrowingBeauty (Louisiana) (interests: veggies, fruits)

Zone 9:
    BotanicalPioneer (Mohave Desert, AZ) (interests: heirloom/OP herbs, veggies, edible flowers)

Zone 10:

Adoptions in-process or completed:

ozarkgirl zone6/7 (cryptid)
    bigkemt zone 5 (plant-one-on-me)
    melody777 zone 9 (grovespirit)
    zenlikeme zone 9b/10a Florida (grovespirit)
    piscesfish zone 6 OK (grovespirit)
    LEKennedy4 zone 10 (canyonwind)
    Astroknot zone 10a CA (piksi_hk)
    wispfox zone 6a Waltham, MA (celeegra)
    toybee zone 7 Central NC (naturegirl236)
    lat4005 zone 7b NC (naturegirl236)
    Jennifer9906 zone 8/9 Texas Coast (canyonwind)
    hrg126 zone 6 WV (beth_b_kodiak)
    Epilogue1212 zone 6...

• kilngod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Newbies who haven't been adopted yet, don't loose heart. This is the heavy season for the veteran gardeners (weeding, mulching, in-person plant swap events, etc). It looks like adopting has slowed down considerably for now. This is normal for this season.

I would expect that it should pick up around the end of June / early July, when we are caught up with the outside, and when seeds are starting to ripen -- the urge to purge last year's seeds may prompt a new round of adoptions. (I know I'm planning on adopting after I get caught up from all the rain my area had from mid-april to late may, and then the 90+ degree weather we've had since.)

Those of you who listed mostly veggies may get seeds to use for next year...and those who listed perennials will get to start those seeds this year and the plants will still bloom next summer.

...And sorry that I didn't update sooner. I'm pretty behind on the garden, but am making measurable progress!

• chipper4444
    12 years ago

by looking at all the newbies who want to get adopted. i might get adopted next year . lol. well i hope everyone has a great planting season and harvest lots of seeds this year. i will be hanging around to see if i get adopted

• Sadielynnmiller
    12 years ago

Newbie here! I would love to be adopted! My friend recommended this site after a great experience. Her garden looks lovely! I live in Southern California/zone 10. Thank You!

P.S Fruits, Veggies, herbs would be greatly appreciated!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Attn: Ozarkgirl. Still waiting to hear from you.

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Adopted "lovesherflowers", sent her seeds today. :)

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

I was 'adopted', thanks :)

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

I received my seeds today! Thanks again!

• islandkitty
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm kitty and I'm looking to be adopted. I live in Southern Florida and I am somewhat new to gardening. I'm interested in growing indoor/outdoor container herbs, medicinal plants,and edible fruits,veggies. I'm currently growing melody spinach, thai peppers, petite carrots, chives, and oregano. If you have any advice for growing plants in this region please let me know as I just found out recently this is not the right season tho sow spinach and carrots.

Thanks,

Kitty

• Jennyerin
    12 years ago

Hello,
    West Virginia gardener here that would love to be adopted. I just joined and am looking for indoor plants (or any seeds/small cuttings). I love growing plants and don't have a greenhouse or hydroponics set up (yet!) so I'm building a small collection of houseplants to play with for experience in growing my green thumb! I am interested in almost any houseplants but do have 2 small spiders, moses in the cradle, a snake plant, a rubber tree, an elephant ear, and a newly gifted angel wing begonia! hope to hear from someone and if not maybe I can try to trade on the exchanges when I get these small plants up and growing bigger!
    Much Love!
    Jennyerin

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

i will adopt chipper 4444...please send me a email so we can figure out what you may want or need. thanks

• LynnCA
    12 years ago

Please put me on the adopt list, thank you everyone!

• DemonsHollowAsylum
    12 years ago

I think I may have posted on the wronge page, lol, Hello to every one, I would love to be addopted by any one who is willing. I am starting from scratch and could use everything.Very interested in Heirlooms, Heritage, and open pollenated seeds for everything, vegies,herbs,fruits,flowers,covercrops and animal fodder seeds. I am in zone 5 in Winnemucca, Nevada. Thank you

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

Hello everyone, I am from new mexico, zone 7a. I have been using the site for reference for quite a while now and finally decided to make an account. I am an avid seed collector (and grower of course) and was quite excited to find this forum. This newbie board is a great idea and I will definitely be contributing to it in the future :D
    At the moment I am living in an apartment so I am doing container gardening mostly, flowers and herbs atm, also trying a passion flower vine and a few silk trees.
    I am interested in succulents, cacti, and really I am open to try anything new.
    I really want to start growing most of my own food within the next couple years so veggies of all kinds would be greatly appreciated.
    I have more than one property I am growing at, so I am in no way limited on the types of plants I can grow.

Thank you for the help and I look forward to our future exchanges :D
    -Gabe

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

Also, at this time I have a ton of variegated morning glories seeds and poinsettia pepper seeds. I will be having more available after this growing season of course, but I have quite a few unidentified species right now, and I want to be sure of what they are (color, etc.) before I post them all up here :)

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

Looks like this is the wrong newbie page, I will move my post to the active one :)

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

maybe we can fill this one up so it wont get confused :)

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

please see newer thread :)