Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Odd, Odder, Oddest - The Incredible Edibles

sandlapper_rose
16 years ago

New April Swap for The Incredible Edibles -

The Odd, the Odder, and the Oddest

This group is to share veggies, fruits, and herbs. You can send seeds, plants, or a combination of them depending on your "zone." Odd plants will qualify based on their taste, how they look, their coloring, their name, their size, and whatever else might make them odd. (How about blue potatoes, white eggplants, black radishes - mini and huge versions of different fruits and vegetables - and multicolored things like striped tomatoes?) What a lot of fun! Send at least one "oddity" but you can include some normal edibles in your swap as well.

Please only sign up if you plan to follow through and send a box or packet that will please the recipient. If you do not follow through, you will not be allowed to participate in this group for 6 months. After that, you will only be allowed to participate with a sponsor. This is for the protection of all members. You do not need to participate every month.

Things you send should be appropriate for the recipient's planting zone. If you are sending seeds, they should be no older than 2007. Any questions about group rules or membership, please contact susandonb.

If you can't help browsing online or in catalogs (me! me!) and you want to order some seeds specifically for this swap, it is perfectly acceptable to keep one-half of the packet of seeds for yourself and to mail the rest of the packet. However, be certain to send the packet that the seeds came in or some other very specific instructions with the plant name, characteristics and growing instructions - same applies if you are sending seeds that you saved.. Some of us may be growing things we have never grown before!

Mail out by April 18.

When you sign up for the swap, you may list anything that you would especially like to receive but understand that you may not get that. For example, I am interested in getting some miniature versions of vegetables or fruit - especially those that can be grown in a pot and things that can deal with the hot summer temperatures that we have in SC. (...and as you can guess since I thought of this swap theme - I don't mind trying a few odd things!)

So, now who wants to join in this month? The Incredible Edibles group is hot off the press -- this will be only the SECOND monthly swap for the group!

Comments (67)

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi Jeanne & Everyone,
    Great answers, you are doing a great job hosting this.

Thanks,
    I have been having some issues here at home (see my post on White Elephant) sorry I have not been around much. I will not be signing up for this one but will be popping in to see how it is going. Have fun everyone,
    Susan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan, You take care of yourself and your family and I hope everything takes a turn for the better. After I posted the answers to Susie, I started thinking maybe what I should be saying is seeds or plants that are edible or produce edible food. LOL Otherwise someone will send a strawberry plant and obviuously it is okay to send that but you can't eat the plant, just berries than appear later.
    So, does eveyone have that now? If not, ask away! LOL
    Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I would love to be in this swap, I love wiered gourds, and herbs, dark colored leafs, crinkly, fuzzy you know. I also like odd peas and beans, and I would like to try some hops vines (not for me to eat but for caterpillars)
    just something rillly strange to shock the gardeners at our community garden. small amounts are fine eather seeds or plants. I have a small vegie garden, we will be having the first comm garden meeting of the year tomarrow and they will let us know witch plots we will have and the size for this year. last year I had a plot 15 feet by 24 feet, but I was lucky I was on the north west corner and was able to fudge the edge a bit and let my gourds grow in to the grass a little. I'm hopping for the same spot.
    will you e-mail partners or post them?
    have a great nght
    michelle

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Ok, I changed my mind, well actually Jeanne changed it for me. LOL

I will be in on this swap.

Thanks Jeanne,
    Susan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome to those who just added their names. We need you to be here with us, Susan! It was you who dreamed this group up and here I am having fun with it when I hardly plant any vegetables... (I have been growing herbs for quite a few years though...)
    Michelle, I love your attitude about the unusual plants. Isn't it great to have someone say, "I never saw anything like that before!" LOL
    No answer right now on which way I will contact people regarding who you will send to. Just hadn't thought about it. One way or the other... or maybe even both if the group doesn't get to large for individual e-mail reminders.
    Jeanne

• comary
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    I will think "unique" & would like to participate. The garden bug caught me forever long ago while in high school - herbs at that time were so unique to me! Now they are every day but once they were odd!

I search the catalogs & seed racks for unique greens to liven up my salads. Arugula, mizuna have become staples from such searches!

I also tried the most unique tennis/soft ball size muskmelon (Minnesota Midget) last summer & have saved seed to share.

I presume nasturtiums would fit 'odd' for some, even though each year we enjoy them in salads.

I'm not a gourd person. I'm looking forward to another fun swap.

Mary

• susandonb
    16 years ago

The oddest thing I have grown for a veggie is the Eight Ball zucchini. It was really good too. I don't grow odd stuff, I am kinda possessive about my garden space and like to fill it with stuff I know is good and dependable.
    Not to say odd veggies are not GOOD.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay, it's all clear as mud now!! LOL :O)

Basically, just send a bunch of seeds...maybe a plant or 2...make it a package I'd like to receive...include weird & unusual varieties...add some "normal" ones, too....And have fun.

Got it. :O)

I was looking at some seeds today, online, and came across some yellow strawberries. And I was thinking...um...interesting?...different?...ICK?...LOL
    I just don't know if yellow berries would hold the same visual appeal as red ones....and I'd be expecting them to be bitter, not quite ripe. LOL
    Hmmm...Maybe I'm not as adventurous as I thought?? LOL

Melissa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, where were you when I came up with the name of this swap? Yes, "unique" might convey a more positive image than "odd" - LOL
    Okay, everyone, you can select things that are odd or unique!
    Susan, I have seen the Eight Ball zucchini pictured in gardening catalogs. Glad to hear it is good. I saw it and thought it would be a great thing to stuff and bake - kind of like making stuffed peppers.
    Hope everyone is having a good day. It is a busy one for me today - seems like all the clubs I belong to have their meetings on the third Tuesday.
    I think we are in for some more rain soon. It's getting very cloudy outside. This spring has not been a bit like last spring.
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I like odd, just ask my husband! LOL! Oh, I mean I like unique vegetables, fruits & herbs! I don't have any unique plants at this time, but I do have some unique seeds. Please count me in.
    Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to have you join in, Becky. I haven't grown many odd things in the past, but it's always fun to try something new!
    Jeanne

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I went to Sids nursery yesterday, and had a ball purchasing odd seeds! Can't wait to find out who I send to!

Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

good morning
    I could not help myself, I picked up a few more packs if "unique" vegie seeds, I'll split the packs and plant a few for myself and send half to my partner.
    I'm hopping to send a few plants too.
    have a great day everyone
    micyrey

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Aaaahhhhh! Enablers! I too bought seeds today....and yesterday....and when I first heard about this swap!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is it good that this group is an enabler? I guess so. Anyway, I bought some seeds for it, too, so join the club!
    Jeanne

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

I am an oddperson. I have tons of unique and interesting edibles already. I collect them and keep the ones I like. This is a wonderful swap and a good way to try new things. I just had a salad with lots of unusual things in it and it was wonderful. It had both fruit and veggies. Linda

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-I apologize but I'm going to have to back out of April's swap. I don't really have any Odd or Unusual seeds.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's okay, Mariann. Thanks for letting me know. If the rest of us have good luck, we will have odd ("unique") seeds to share in the fall.
    Jeanne

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

bump

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy Easter to all who have joined in on the March and April swaps... and especially to Susan!
    Jeanne

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

I would like to join this swap. It looks interesting! I have some "odd" things! Hehe.

Happy easter everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome aboard, hmle2217.
    I hope we get a few more people to sign up. I made the sign up date rather long because I knew some people would be very busy or traveling over the Easter holidays. Only about a week to go though and I will be assigning partners after April 1.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

April Swap for The Incredible Edibles -
    The Odd, the Odder, and the Oddest
    Sign ups end on April 1. Come join us if you are interested and have not already signed up.

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I've got my seeds all ready to go out to my partner! It was alot of fun getting them together, I've found some varieties I didn't know about & they sound great! :O)

Melissa

• grovespirit
    16 years ago

Hi,

I'd like to join this swap. I have many unique varieties of veggies to share. Most of the unique seeds I have aren't miniature varieties. I saved seeds last year when I had an actual yard, and got some of them in trades. So I prefer a partner who has a good sized growing space to play with. :*)

To keep my costs down, I also prefer a partner for this swap who is mainly interested in receiving seeds, and not live plants. That way I can send my swap via First Class Mail. (I live on a very tight budget).

I don't care to receive live plants this time, myself. If sticking to seeds is also what you'd prefer this time around, please let our hostess know. Thanks! :)

I'm especially hoping to get some seeds from my want list. But anything at all that's edible and compatible with my space and climate limitations would be swell.
    FYI: Cool weather crops such as carrots, peas, parsley, celery, broccoli do not tend to do well in my tropical climate.
    Since my garden is tiny I hope to receive items suited to growing in 4 gallon or smaller containers. Nothing big -or heaven forbid, Giant- for me, thanks!! :)

• skohler
    16 years ago

I also would like to trade for just seeds , can be odd or rare , sunflowers, peppers,cauliflowers, squashes, tomatos, gourds , or fun things for containers :)

thanks again Jeanne for letting in .
    susie

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I'm going to be honest here, and say that I have quite a variety of seeds ready to go. I didn't give any thought as to zones or climates...I'm really not that organized! LOL
    But there are some for containers & ground planting...

So whomever my partner is, if something will not work out for you, please feel free to trade it for something that will.
    Will that be OK?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Almost time to match partners. If anyone else wants to join, please sign up by the end of the day April 1. If you posted that you would like to send and receive seeds, I will try to match you with someone else who wants to send and receive seeds. Otherwise, seeds or plants.

Here is who I have on the list so far:
    happyseed
    tootsiepop254
    strmywthr3
    debbya
    sunnyk
    scents from heaven
    grovespirit
    poisondartfrog
    megajas
    hazelnutbunny
    skohler
    susandonb
    micyrey
    comary
    booberry85
    hmle2217
    sandlapper rose

I will post partners here and try to send e-mail to each person also. It will be up to the partners to exchange mailing addresses. Please post when you receive your package so I can keep up with my list.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I can go eather way I have some small plants I can send and seeds. or I can do just seeds if my partner wants only seeds. I'm flexable.
    michelle

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

I would prefer to do just seeds also.

thanks!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I can send some seedlings and seeds or I can send all seeds, whichever my partner prefers. I will be happy to receive whatever my partner sends either way. I like surprises!
    Alana

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I am back! My power cord fried and I just got my new one about 15 minutes ago. Sorry to be away so long.

What have I missed? How is everyone?

Susan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan,
    Welcome back. Sure did miss you. Things seem to be going along and I will be matching partners really soon... last day to sign up is tomorrow... April 1 (April Fools Day) - how is that for "odd"? LOL
    I am going for a root canal Wednesday morning so if I don't get things posted that day, please understand. Okay? Otherwise this swap could get really ODD!!! I will try to post in the afternoon or evening if I feel pretty good.
    We are having unusually cold temperatures. Hope the warmth and sunshine will be back soon. Luckily, not below freezing and everything seems to be doing fine - even my winter sowing seedlings!
    After I post partners here, I will start a new thread for the packages being mailed and received.
    Jeanne

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

Hey if it is not too late to ask, I would love to be partnered with someone who just wants to do seeds!! :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, not too late, sunnyk. Seeds it is!
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Tap, tap, tap! Here I am. Impatiently waiting! Tapping my fingers on the desk. LOL! (How's that for being Pushy Becky!)

I got my seeds in order last night. Looking forward to getting my partner!

Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, booberry85, you got my attention. I decided no one would be signing up at the last minute so I will match partners now. I will send e-mail out as well in case some people are not checking here frequently but that will not be until tomorrow or the day after. Please, try to contact one another by e-mail to exchange full names and addresses. Seeds and/or plants are fine, but I think I got all the people who specified only seeds matched with each other. I sure will be intersted to see what everyone receives. This is rather suspenseful!!! Remember to mail by April 18 (or at least let me and your partner know if something comes up and you have to mail late.)
    We had an odd number playing (figures - this is an "odd" swap) so I am sending to and receiving from two people. That is no problem at all - double the fun!!!

sandlapper rose and susandonb are swap partners
    scents from heaven and grovespirit are swap parnters
    debbya and tootisepop254 are swap partners
    poisondartfrog and micyrey are swap partners
    comary and sandlapper rose are swap partners
    booberry85 and strmywthr3 are swap partners
    hmle221 and sunnyk are swap partners
    happyseed and hazelnutbunny are swap partners
    skohler and megajas are swap partners

Please check where you partner listed her name above my posting in case I left a number out of someone's name or typed it incorrectly. It's a bit late for me when it comes to typing. LOL
    Have lots of fun and let me know if I can help with anything. Remember to post on the new thread when you receive from you partner so I can check you off on my list.
    Thanks for joining in!
    Jeanne

• june22182
    15 years ago

If anyone would like to read a newspaper/online story about what some of the posters here have grown, try this link:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121088230251196321.html

If the link doesn't work, you also can find the story by searching for "Pushing the Envelope on Vegetables" on www.wsj.com.

Thanks for your help! Best, June

• booberry85
    15 years ago

What a fun read! Thanks for sharing the article!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Fabulous!! :) It's nice to see people getting on the odd veggie band wagon LOL!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was fun to read about the odd vegetables! June, you did a wonderful job on the article and I'll bet it tempts someone to grow some odd vegetables who had not thought to do it before.

I know Michelle has asked this as well. Is there anyone who wants to be hostess for this group for the month of June? Should we just be inactive until fall and then start swapping seeds at that point? Does anyone want to be "in charge" of this group? It's a fun idea, but what do we need to do to keep it going?
    (Okay, so it was question day!)

Jeanne

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne,
    I would let it go dormant until Fall. I can't imagine anyone planting or trading seeds in the hot summer months. By October, everyone should have some extra seeds saved for spring! And be ready to trade again!

If you need any help with the swap to keep it going, just let me know. I'll be happy to help. ;)

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

I was wondering about what we could trade in the smmer and my only idea was seeds for the type of veggies that you start in August and then harvest in th fall. Like spinach, beets collards,kale etc.
    That does not work in all areas but I know it s OK in zone 7 or 8
    I'm fine though with waiting for fall.
    Beth B

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Beth, that was initially an idea I had for May's swap. Unfortunately, we had a scare with my Mom's health (She's doing ok now), so I bowed out of doing May's swap. Micyrey stepped up to bat and kindly hosted May's swap.

Susandonb started the group. You may want to email her as a courtesy. If she doesn't have any objections run with it!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

In the thread below, several people listed ideas for swaps.

I do like the idea of a "Second Time Around" or "Fall planting" swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas for May's swap

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

I wish to sincerely apologize to my swap mate for the odd,oddest swap. Life has been upside down at my house and still in a sideways position but I am back to having a little time for myself. My husband had what appeared to be a stroke but it turned out that sections of his brain are beginning to die off from a bleed he suffered from approximately 15 years ago. I brought him home from rehab on Monday and Monday evening he was admitted to the regular hospital with pneumonia. He is recovering but I do not know if he will be coming home or placed temporily back into rehab for intensive breathing treatments or permanently into a skilled nursing facility. I wish to thank you guys for your patience and understanding and I will be getting my late packages into the mail this coming week. They will be special due to the lateness. I once again offer my apologies. Linda

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Best wishes that he will have a speedy recovery & that life will find some normality for you.

Keep gardening, it'll help keep you sane!

Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear that your husband has been so ill. You take care of him and yourself. I hope he shows great improvement and soon.
    Will let you know and post to the board once a package arrives. Don't worry, I am patient and certainly understanding when someone faces what you have been dealing with.
    Jeanne

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I wasn't in the last Incredible Edibles round robins, but I did want to join the next one. Will there be a June Round Robin for this group?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for checking in iheartroscoe. There is no permanent hostess for this group. We just rely on a volunteer to post a topic and be hostess for each month and no one has volunteered for June. If you would like to be hostess and list a topic, go for it! I don't mind being hostess again, but can't do it so soon after having been hostess for the April Swap. It seems like I have a lot going on right now. Let's hope the group will continue because it's lots of fun!
    Jeanne