jaleeisa

new: mnf: after dark round robin!

jaleeisa
16 years ago

Rules, then details :)

1. You must be 18

2. Must be a GW member

3. Must have lots of fun!!

4. Must if you have something on your mind, tell us!! so what if its all whiny, geeze we all have whiny days!!

5. Must be signed in by April 15th

Now for the FUN part,

After Dark is a lovely time, the moon is shining, the stars are twinkling. Gardeners are finished with their loving care of their babies, weeding is done, time to relax and just enjoy the bounty of nature and gorgeous blooms. In this RR, we will be trading things to enjoy After Dark. Evening and night blooming flowers blooms or herbs that give off a delicious evening scent, you know, the ones that make you want to leave all the windows open so it can soothe you to sleep! Other suggestions would be CDs (can be burned, share your favorites with us!) of smoky blues or jazz, star charts, or tidbits about various constellations, myths or stories about the stars, tea or coffee blends to relax with or a dessert recipe... anything that you enjoy in the evening to relax!

At least three packets of seeds/bulbs/plants, something you enjoy relaxing with in the evening and something special from your partners want list.

IÂll pair everyone up and list the partners on April 16th, then let the fun begin! I'm going to ask everyone to email me with their addresses and I'll email them later to your partner.

**Everything must be shipped by April 30th. Confirmation would really be nice, it helps to make you feel safe and let you know that it got there safely!!

I hope everyone will enjoy this, the evening is a wonderful time for my family and I. We take walks, curl up with a good book and a mug of hot tea or flavored coffee, maybe snack on a little dessert, once the stars come out, we enjoy relaxing on a blanket in the yard and studying the stars while someone tells a story from the Greek myths about them. For my family, itÂs a time for being together and catching up and just relaxing and having fun together! I hope that you will all enjoy the first RR I host and sharing this part of my familyÂs life :)

Link to GW Fragrant plants area, they have a very comprehensive list of night blooming and scented flowers and plants!

Comments (150)

• medontdo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hi allison and dan!! HEE HEE it took ya long enough!! LOL i was wondering if ya'd come over here!! i knew you'd for sure fit in!! being a serial gardener and all LOL
    ok, you did say we could add recipes right????!!!??? please ohhh please :'))
    ok here's mine!! i have to garden bare handed when i can, i'm allergic to some of my soil, it's got something in it so i have to wear gloves when i garden in that part of the yard, **getting to the point** LOL
    so my hands get pretty dry, and ya know them washclothes that have that soft feeling and your hand snaggs on if they are in the least bit dry?? well..........i came up with a solution for it, palmers cocoa butter (the hard stuff), olive oil, i put it in the blender and mix really good!! or in my case i use the food processor, i use just enough olive oil to make the cocoa butter soft, and when you use this it softens your hands and at the same time it also pulls the dead skin off your hands!! best mixture ever!! if ya want to mix essintial oils in it to make it smell better (as if LOL) and i use it on the kids cuz they have that sand papre skin, and i tell talla its for princesses or whatever she's into at the time, LOL

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Seek Codes

MySpace Graphics

Dan and Allison!!! We are very happy to have you as Friends!!!!

Michelle use that at night with cotton hand gloves, see if that doesn't help your sand paper lol wink wink. Tell Talla that "Fairies/Pixies" have to have soft hands!!!

Niters everyone, hope everyone has good dreams.

Pixie

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Kathy~ the myth was great.You are really having a nice turn out for sign ups!
    Pixie~hubby really regrets me discovering the Garden Junk Forum.I'm am now in search of glass bottles for a Bottle Tree.He is not one bit excited!LOL!!
    Bunny~hope you are safe & dry tonight.
    Has anyone heard from Becki or Fishy lately?
    Welcome Allison & Dan!
    Dan.....even if I get your name I'm still not sending you any kudzu!LOL!!
    later...April/dirt_under_my_nails

• beckilove
    16 years ago

I'm here, April! Thanks for asking! Just been busy, and haven't had too much to say, I'm afraid!

Welcome to Dan and Allison! I too love those thunderstorms, Dan!

I hope that flooding goes away really quickly, Bunny!! It's not nice for bunnies or their families to get wet!

I love the recipe, Michele! I'll have to go get some Palmer's!

Oh, and Tracy, it looks like the kiddos had so much fun! I love when the whole family can have a great day like that!! Good for you!

Hmm - Garden Junk - now that is something I think I could get into too!

Hugs,
    Becki

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Ya'll have been busy I see! Welcome Dan and Allison - nice to meet ya'll. You will love these crazy women :) Dan - I have seen some of your posts - you will fit right in LOL

Kathy - love that myth - have never really learned about constellations or the stories behind them - will have to do some research!

Bunny - hope you are dry!We had lots of rain yesterday but nothing like what you are getting. Be safe!

April - I'm going to check out Kirkus - sounds like fun!

oops - company - bbiaf

em

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi Dan and Allison! You are going to have a great time playing with our little group! Glad to meet you!

Kathy, your post on the constellations was so neat! I love our clear night skies here in the summer and fall. We used to live closer to the city and didn't have this wonderful view that we have now. It still catches our breath when we look up and see these wonderful stars!

Becki and Trina, thanks! the kids had a great time and can't wait to go again. It was a very windy day here yesterday and they all wanted to fly their kites but our yard is still too full of little lakes.

April, what is a bottle tree? I joined our local freecycle and have been having such a good time looking through all the goodies people are giving away. I need to check it more often because the good stuff gets snatched up so fast!

Em, did anyone ever answer about posting pictures on the forum? If not then all you have to do is click the html code for the picture you wish to post from photobucket. Copy it and then come back to the GW forum and right click and paste it into the message text box. You will be able to see the picture after you click preview message, then go ahead and submit it. I hope this helps!

Tracy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Tracy...this is a bottle tree:

Also known as a "sling shot target" in our neighborhood!! LOL I've wanted one for years, but hubby won't stand it. Seems it brings images of trailer parks & odd relatives to mind.....! :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Now that is exactly what I had pictured and thought for sure I was wrong! LOL! Thanks bunny!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Brings a big grin to your face, don't it, Tracy?? :O)
    I want one with red bottles...but do you know how difficult it is to find red bottles??
    But honestly, they are very pretty when the sun hits them in the mornings.
    Probably purely a "hick" thing...but Ah well. It's a fun hick thing.

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

a poem for the night:

Deep Within

Walking along the twisted path
    in the stillness of the night
    watching the shapes
    change and darken
    shadows touching
    in a whispering embrace

Moonlight spilling across the stones
    brilliant accents sparkling
    and glistening
    tall grasses sway to and fro
    in the rhythm of it's dance

Throwing back my head
    inhaling deeply
    drinking up within
    this quiet twilight
    feeling it sink to the very limits
    of my weary soul

I find peace and contentment
    and I rest......

~~by Linda Ruzicka~~~

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I'm around, had the new anti-virus scanner being a bit too protective with cookies, so I had to get it adjusted so I could post.
    Bunny I'll agree with hubby for now... simply because I can see the little ones using that as a "rock toss target". However, I can so picture a xmas tree one, outta heiniken bottles, at my 1st husband's parents.... oh yes, I can picture that clearly.
    Things aren't going great for mr fishy, he's supposed to stay off his broken foot, but since his prosthetic ankle doesn't piviot, using the crutches are not really safe either (he has to "swing" his body between them, and then "land" on his "foot" that has no schock-absorbing ability).
    At the new house I've planted out the watermelon, and started the transplants from seed on, tomatoes, cukes, melons, peppers. The raised beds are almost built, and my shoulders know it. I've parent-teacher meetings today, to review 3rd quarter progress, and discuss summer programs with the staff, we have exactly 2 slots open across the entire preschool. I'm leaning towards weekly summer themes, and of course arranging the group swim classes.

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Beautiful poem Linda!

Thought I'd drop in and say Hi! I'm still following all of the MNF swaps. Hoping to join in on Mays swap. Fairies would be fun, but whatever it ends up to be, I'm hoping I'll be able to join in!

I've seen the bottle trees in magazines before. I don't think my hubby would go for it either, no matter what I thought! I have too many kids running around here anyways.

Its so fun to see all of the new members who are joining!
    Have a great day everyone!
    Karen

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Oh yes, the garden tally so far:
    16 cukes (I think I may learn to make pickles)
    11 tomatoes
    10 peppers (8 sweet, 2 thai)
    pumpkin
    Zucchini
    3 melons (piel de sapo, lilly crenshaw, honeydew)
    24 strawberries (starter patch)
    8 cilantro
    96 garlic
    48 onions
    few marigold & nastrums tucked in.

I'll try growing the pumpkins, zukes and melons on the ground this year, and I'll have trelisses made for next year.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Fishy, have you looked into one of those Roll About or Drive knee walkers? We used one for my mom when she had her foot surgery. You rest the knee of the broken foot on the cushion and push off with the other foot. It doesn't have swivel wheels so it needs to be lifted and then replanted on the floor in the direction that you want to turn. It was much easier for her than crutches and might work out well with his prosthetic leg. They make different sizes for taller people and heavier people, the height is adjustable too. They have them at the med supply stores if he wants to try them out and they are sold a lot cheaper on ebay. If that doesn't work out well then the med supply stores will also rent wheel chairs for a relatively low rate monthly or weekly. Tell him to stay safe! I would hate to hear that he fell on those crutches.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

When he falls, I'm not able to get him up (he's 18 inches taller than I am, and twice my weight), best I can do is drag a chair over and help him climb up onto it (I sit on the chair, and he uses the chair back to stand up, till I can slide his leg under him). First time I saw him crawl to go to the bathroom I cried. I'd rather he rent a wheelchair for a bit, but he's got his pesky pride issue that gets in the way.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Tracy~Here is one done all in blue.

I'm thinking about kicking mine up a notch & putting white lights in the bottles so I can enjoy it after dark.Can you hear the banjos yet? LOL!!!Right now I'm taking whatever color I can find,but as time goes by I'll replace with blue ones when I find them.
    Linda~LOVE the poem!
    Bunny~I've heard that Trader Joe's carries bottled water in RED bottles! Sadly no TJ here.
    Fishy ~sounds like a good garden.Learning to make pickles would probably be a good idea!LOL!
    Later....April/dirt

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Sounds like it is lecture time for Mr. Fishy. If he is falling then he is risking even greater injury. Stick him in the car and show up at the med supply store. Tell him to get out and test drive all the cool new tools that are available for all kinds of injuries. The knee walkers look a lot better than regular walkers, not so granny-ish.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I am hearing some twanging on that old banjo now! Hmmmm, do I hear a little hippy influence in them there notes? LOL! I like the one color bottle theme a lot better than the mish mash multi colors. I think it would be pretty cool if you put the lights in there too. Course the neighbors might think a UFO landed in your yard! Heh heh!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Tracy~That's funny!Of course there is hippie influence!!!Belive it or not my parents in Hippiegene are saving me their blue bottles.LOL!!Plus now they are thinking about doing on too.
    I'm wondering how much more "Yard Art" hubby can take.I've got in the works:
    (1)Bottle Tree
    (2)Tipsy Pots
    (3)Rustic Fence & Arbor
    Plus the log hut thingy we did in the fall for the kids that I'm going to have our cukes & gourds growing on.
    The 75+ milk jug & soda bottle ghetto with my WS stuff are driving him bonkers!!!Thought he was going to keel over when I told him I wanted to double it next year.ROFLOL!!
    Peace,love,& hippiness...
    April/dirt

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Ok, here we go again... ready? I'm kind of afraid to ask but... Uhhhhh what are tipsy pots?

I have a nice size jug ghetto going here. Hubby hates it but what the heck can he say about it when he had building materials stacked willy nilly behind our storage shed? HA! I knew I sensed a little Hippie action there! All the way from Hippiegene! LOL

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LOL NOW the Tipsy Pots I have a couple in my garage that I made. Tracy I really think you would like them. Mine are 6"-and larger terra cotta pots with a pipe going through the hole in the middle (some I drilled an extra hole offset) and they are tipped barely sideways going from bottom to top, they make great fountains but also look good with plants in them. I put a link on here for ya cause I don't feel like being clumsy in my garage to take a pic lol. These aren't Hippish lol.

Fishy, did you ever receive the valentine box I sent you, the DC said it was delivered but you have never made a comment about it. I really hope you liked what I sent if not then I can understand. Please let me know.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Thanks Pixie.....as if I needed futher enabling on my yard art! I saved that site.So now add the teacup feeder to the list.LOL!
    later...April/dirt

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ohhh my goodness that's 2 for kudzu!! LOL i wonder what the flavor is like?? this year i plan to make alot of food stuff!!! LOL man i'm freezing cold!! and the heat is up, that would be cool if next months thing was fairy's!! WOO HOO!!!! LOL
    ohhh fishy!! I'm so sorry he's not doing to well!! i have a question on the homeschooling thingi, we are listed as a private school, so could we still charter under another school? for the k-12?? man i sooo hope so!! and your garden sounds great!! well the raised beds, and you have alot of stuff!! :'))
    i really do like the bottle tree idea!! man! i think i have to try that, only i'm not asking hubby!! LOL he will tell me no. so i'll just do it. :')) i'll find clear bottles and fill them with red, but i bet it'd separate later wont it?? i want to attract the hummingbirds! :')) ohhhh and i LOVE them pots thingi's!! LOL that's cool!! i got alot of plants transplanted today, the kiddo's and mom and i got the yard cleand, and started on suni's hummer bed. she came over for a few minutes, she just had chemo today, so she was all bundled up, she didn't look to good at all. i really want to get some seeds from korea, and make a korean only flower bed. i think that would be nice!! the docs are giving her mixed signals. she said she's 70 and ready to go. ohhhhh i don't want her to go, but i soooo understand when he's ready for her, he's just gonna take her!! and she's loosing her hair. i'm so sad for her. i REALLY wanted to trade with that lady who has the seeds!! but she didn't. ok, i'm done!!!! LOL when we get back from the rhodeo this weekend i think we are gonna work very hard on getting our beds up so we can start planting the things that can take the cold!! i can't wait till we can plant the maters and peppers!! then they[ll be out of the house!! and get that dang gh up!!!!! LOL i've had it for like ever on the porch, but the weather has not been cooperating with me, boo hoo boo hoo. LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Michele, do you remember last fall when I was looking up homeschooling stuff for you in KS? If you go to the Kansas board of ed web site there was the info for the charter school program on the internet. If I remember right that was the accredited charter school that you had to be registered for by June last summer. I would think that their registration would be open now.

Trina, I love those tipsy pots! They are just the cutest things ever! I have a really cute apple cookie jar that I got in and ebay auction, the lid broke during shipping. I think I will drill a hole in the bottom and use if for one of the planter pots!

April, I am so glad you told me about those! They are so cute! I love this group! SO many amazing ideas.

I'd like to take a minute to remind everyone how important it is to remember our trade partners after each exchange. We all take great care to send out the best of our gardens to our friends and personalize each of our boxes with a little bit of our hearts and a lot of love for our friends. It is so wonderful to receive a great box but it is such a great gift to the sender when we get a lovely appreciative nod from the recipient. Don't forget to say thank you. No trade can be complete until we know our friends are happy. In addition, please remember to post a comment on your sender's profile on the Rate and Review Forum found in the Exchange pages. This is a wonderful tool for other GW members to see that we are all good trade partners and have a successful track record of completed exchanges.

Have a wonderful night.

Tracy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I love the tipsy pots...those are cute!! I imagine them filled with strawberries! Yummy! :O)
    You're right, Tracy! These girls are FULL of great ideas! :O)

I took the girls out on a window shopping trip yesterday, and we stopped by Kmart. They had hundreds of roses outside..along with a huge selection of annuals & shrubs.
    All of their roses were blooming & Aubeni says "Momma! Look! They made a rainbow!" :O) That's definitely what it looked like. Gosh, it was pretty!

Soooooo......Convincing little booger that she is, she talked me into splurging on a lavender rose! I was doing really well, controlling myself...not going to spend $$ I didn't have...but she wore me down. Talked me into it. Convinced me that my garden COULD NOT survive without this rose in it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! (especially since hubby reads these posts! LOL)

OH, but you should SMELL this rose!! I have NEVER smelled one so strong before!! Wow, it's glorious!! I love it! You can smell it from 10 ft away...without the wind blowing! It's fantastic!

Here it is...but for some reason, the pictures make it look pinkish..but honestly, it's a very dark lavender.

{{gwi:1256926}}

I need to trim the blooms & buds off, so that it can put it's effort into growing roots & leaves...but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet. Feels wrong, somehow...LOL :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

That is BEAUTIFUL! I am so glad Aubers talked you into it! I wish I had a knack with roses but every time I have tried they end up croaking on me! AGH! I love the idea of using the tipsy pots for strawberries! That would be so perfect for me with our bunny population eating all of my berries every year. I was thinking about putting them up in hanging baskets but cascading down from the tipsy pots would be so great!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LOL April, I sorry ;). That is a neat site though lol.

Melissa that rose is simply gorgeous!!!! I am another one that cannot grow pretty roses but I love to smell them and look at them and just do some wishful thinking! Good for Aubeni for talking you into it!!!

I never thought of strawberries in the tipsy pots!!! Now I am going to have to put mine out and fill them! But I have HAVE to finish a couple other things first. I have a goal for myself! I am NOT going to start or do anything extra until I finish the projects I have started already lol. Need some heavy duty prayer help on this one gals!!! I did get my kitchen cleaned this morning and mopped too (won't fox be surprised!) I need to mop the kiddo's room and dust the living room and foyer. (these aren't projects these are chores lol). Then this afternoon I am going to dig a sago and put my columbine bed in which will be easy. Work on the ditch or carry dirt, prolly the latter cause I am at a point in the ditch that its hard dirt lol calling fox's name. Hmmm do I have any other projects started????

Smiles,
    Pixie

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohhh! Melissa, which rose was this? It sounds like it smells heavenly! I wouldn't mind getting one myself! And the blooms are gorgeous!

I think I'm going to put together some tipsy pots myself, strawberries and my mints sound perfect for them! I've been digging around the Junk Gardening area since the link was posted and have come up with several ideas I want to try. Especially those waterfall leaves! I'm just worried about doing it right.. there weren't many really clear instructions that I could find. I wish there was a step by step with pictures, cause I wouldn't wanna mess it up! We're looking at hopefully putting in a small pond and fountain next year, so it would be great to make these to provide a fall!

Another thing I'm wanting to do is a butterfly sun/watering spot. Does anyone have any ideas about that? What I'm thinking is finding something to elevate near my butterfly garden and put some of those glass "pebble" thingies that walmart sells in the bottom and adding just a skim of water. Maybe some red and blue and teal ones. I also want to put together a couple of homemade humming bird feeders. I've always made my own necter, but always bought the feeders... so I don't know how to make one. Suggestions?

I think this year that I'm just going to use tomato cages for my cukes and beans and peas, but I'm hoping to make, before the become too big this year, if not, for next year, a couple of smaller obliesks (sp?).

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    Google "homemade hummingbird feeders"..there are a slew of cool things!

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

South African star myths
    Orion and the Pleiades
    The Pleides IsiLimela or the Pleiades were the 'digging stars', whose appearance in southern Africa warned of the coming need to begin hoeing the ground. All over Africa, these stars were used as a marker of the growing season. 'And we say isiLimela is renewed, and the year is renewed, and so we begin to dig'. (Callaway 1970). Xhosa men counted their years of manhood from the time in June when isiLimela first became visible. Orion According to the Namaquas, the Pleiades were the daughters of the sky god. When their husband (Aldeberan) shot his arrow (Orion's sword) at three zebras (Orion's belt), it fell short. He dared not return home because he had killed no game, and he dared not retrieve his arrow because of the fierce lion (Betelgeuse) which sat watching the zebras. There he sits still, shivering in the cold night and suffering thirst and hunger.

A girl child of the old people had magical powers so strong that when she looked at a group of fierce lions, they were immediately turned to stars. The largest are now in Orion's belt.

For the Tswana, the stars of Orion's sword were 'dintsa le Dikolobe', three dogs chasing the three pigs of Orion's belt. Warthogs have their litters while Orion is prominent in the sky frequently litters of three.
    The Milky Way
    The Southern Cross A strong-willed girl became so angry when her mother would not give her any of a delicious roasted root that she grabbed the roasting roots from the fire and threw the roots and ashes into the sky, where the red and white roots now glow as red and white stars, and the ashes are the Milky Way. Dornan, 1925 (The Bushmen)

And there the road is to this day. Some people call it the Milky Way; some call it the Stars' Road, but no matter what you call it, it is the path made by a young girl many, many years ago, who threw the bright sparks of her fire high up into the sky to make a road in the darkness. Leslau, Charlotte and Wolf. African Folk Tales (1963)

To Xhosas, the Milky Way seemed like the raised bristles on the back of an angry dog. Sotho and Tswana saw it as Molalatladi, the place where lightning rests. It also kept the sky from collapsing, and showed the movement of time. Some said it turned the Sun to the east.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I love the different folk lore from all these cultures. It is so amazing how so many people from distant areas of the world were able to look into the sky and weave the stars into their daily lives.

• allisonlwise
    16 years ago

I had a good giggle reading about everyone's garden ornaments.

Last fall I tried to buy another little ornamental thing for my garden, and my husband informed me I was turning into the lawn ornament cat lady and that my excessive lawn ornamentation needed to cease ... alas I've been cut off. I'm thinking maybe if I rearrange stuff he won't notice when I start to add things this year :)

Allison

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Love the rose Bunny!
    I just scored an old wooden chair & toddler headboard off of freecycle. Hubby doesn't know yet. You think he is going to like my flower 'bed' that has a headboard?? LOL!!
    later...April/dirt

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Oh dear, Pixie, it came in when mr fishy first fell, and I was a bit scatterbrained then. I am so sorry for forgetting to post on it!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i googled them the other day, and came up w tons!! in fact there is one on here, that i absolutely love!! http://www.birds-n-garden.com/hummingbirds_crafts.html
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hummingbird/msg061501211309.html?43
    http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/feedersmake.php
    if i remember right these were some great ones!! :'))

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help with making a hummer feeder!

Oh and I have some news! I told you all a bit back about my soon to be BIL and SIL trying to adopt.. well the way it was suppose to go was that the Tuesday after Easter they were meeting with the social worker to go over the case file, find out about the boys' background, etc and meet the boys briefly, then this Tuesday past, if they were still interested in moving forward, to keep the boys overnight. Then if they were still interested in continuing, next weekend to have them for the weekend. If all was still well and they were still interested at that point, the paperwork would begin.

Well, they kept the two little boys overnight on Tuesday night. Things went wonderfully and they made the decision that this was God's will and they were ready. DHS, who they are adopting through, did not have them bring the boys back after the initial overnight. They have had the boys full time since Tuesday and the paperwork has been started.

So, welcome with me, Aidon Kevon and Xavier JaMarquis -soon-to-be Walker! Aidon was born on 12/24/2006 and Xavier was born on 3/17/2007. Charles and Farah sent us pictures of them the other day and they are ADOREABLE! I can't wait to meet them in person! The whole family is so excited!And Aunt Kathy has some shopping to do!

Kathy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Congrats Auntie Kathy!!!!
    April/dirt

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

That's great Auntie Kathy - I am so happy for all of them. Congratulations!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Kathy, I am so happy for Farah, Charles, Aidon and Xavier! It is such a blessing that they found each other. Congratulations to all of you!

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

what great news!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Congratulations! That's great, Linda!! I'm excited for all of them!!
    Becki

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After Dark Recipe

Lemon Whip Dessertcolor>

INGREDIENTS

* 60 buttery round crackers, crushed
    * 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    * 1/2 cup melted butter
    * 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
    * 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    * 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS

1. In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed crackers, confectioners sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan; reserve 1/3 cup for sprinkling on top.
    2. Blend together the lemonade, sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping. Pour over crust and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. If desired, garnish with thinly sliced lemons

I like to chill this in the fridge once it's made, makes dishing it up easier. Or do it in dessert cups!

Hope you enjoy this one!

Kathy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Kathy~ That would be so good for dessert on a hot summer night. I love anything with lemons in it. Don't tell my dentist but.... I eat lemons with salt.Very very bad for your teeth.
    Where is everyone? Maybe some got lucky enough to play in the dirt? Not so lucky here. I was supposed to dig up a crap load of liriope out of a lady's yard(love freecycle),but got rained out. She said I can do it another day.So here's hoping for a dry tomorrow.
    Since we were stuck inside today,the kids were bouncing around on those big o'balls that have the handle. Taylor was hopping & decided to hop REALLY big! Bad idea! She missed & landed on her butt. She says it hurts to walk,but she CAN walk so I don't think anyhting is broken.Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    later...April/dirt

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Kathy, that sounds so so so good! My mother-in-law loves lemon bars, well, anything lemon really, I printed your recipe to use as one of the desserts for Ted's Graduation Party this summer. I know she will love it!

April, I am cringing reading about poor Taylor's tush! I busted (permanently angulated) my tailbone a few years back and have had some real problems from it. I hope it feels better soon. Have her sit on an ice pack. Doesn't sound fun but it will help. I hope it is just a bruised bottom. My fingers are crossed, toes too! Email me if it doesn't improve in a few days.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Mmmm....Yummy!! I love lemon pie, and REALLY have to watch it, or I'll eat the entire thing! I'm sure it'll be the same with this dessert! *drooling already* :O)

Oh! April! Poor little Taylor hiney!! Owie!

AND Congratulations on the adoption, Kathy!! Yay! That's fantastic!!! :O) I'm so happy for the new parents! :O)

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got to meet the boys tonight! They are SOOOOOO adorable! And Aidan is definitely going to be Aunt Kat's boy! I'll try to post some pictures of them tomorrow :)

That dessert is fast becoming a favorite around here. I made it tonight, actually. I made lemon and lime ones and did them in the little graham cracker tart thingies. They are sooooo good! They are a bit tart and are fantastic in the heat of summer. They are so light, and the tart gives a refreshing flavor. I've not done them with any other juices yet, so if anyone tries them with different juices, let me know how they turn out.

Kathy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

MMMMMMMMm Kathy!!!! I love Lemon Desserts of any kind, was soo sad when Sunshine took my FAV Lemon Coolers off the market and quit making them. (the lil round powdered sugar coated lemon cookies mmmmm). Thank you for sharing that with us (me especially). I make lemon cookies (refridgerator (sp) cookies that you bake, only kind of cookie I like to make) I am going to make those tomorrow as I have all the ingredients on hand.

Congrats "Aunt Kat" also, I am sooo happy for ya'lls new additions. I am excited for ya'll.

April I am saying ouchie for lil Taylors hiney also, I know that hurts. Keeping my fingers crossed that its just a bruised backside and not a fractured tailbone. I fell on my behonkis when I was preggo with Cole, in the Fire House and it took forever to heal. (can't cast the rear end thats forsure) (I feel for you Ducky).

Well got one of my Sago's moved today and plan on having a busy day tomorrow as fox will be going back to Corpus on Monday so gotta use him when I can now lol. I kinda feel like I take advantage of him but then I have to sit back and count pros and cons and it all equals out lmao.

Well ya'll have a great night and stay safe.
    Smiles,
    Pixie

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A Navajo Star Myth

Coyote

According tho the Navajo mythology, the Milky Way was created by the misbehavior of the mischievous deity, Coyote. When the world was created, the Holy People gathered around Black God to place the stars in the sky according to a rational order related to the seasons. But Coyote grew annoyed by the slowness of the creation process. He first chose with anger a red star, called Ma'iio, that he placed in the south to symbolize himself. Ma'iio is a name often given to Coyote, which means 'the one who roams'.

This star, of which we do not know the precise identification, appears for only a short period of time during the year, and it is said to announce trouble. Thereafter, Coyote took the bag full of stars not yet placed and threw it over his head forming the Milky Way. Since the stars of the Milky Way could not be properly placed, they could not be named.

Coyote was a trickster, and would often use this to get what he wanted. In one story, Coyote turned a hero into a coyote, and in turn became the man. He went to the hero's home and slept with his wife. Coyote smelled very bad. When the wife visited her mother, she smelled the Coyote on the wife. They then knew that Coyote had tricked them.

In yet another story, Coyote falls in love with a beautiful woman. In order to marry her, he had to kill the giant, Gray Big Ye'i. Afterwards, the woman attempts to kill Coyote four times, but each time he hides his vital organs so he could come back to life. The woman eventually marries him.

Later we find that coyote is killed while hunting with the wife's brothers. Coyote's wife turns into a bear and kills all but one of the brothers. The last brother kills her, and brings his brothers back to life. This story explains why bears are often considered the female counterparts of coyotes.

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Kathy, that's a great story! I love Indian legends! :O)

I am getting REALLY eager to find out who my swap partner is!! I have been planning my box, and was discussing with hubby about the theme....and he says.."Babe, I KNOW you...so PLEASE watch it!! Don't give some poor gal a heart attack when she opens that box!!" LOL
    Hmmm...In MY defense, I was only naming some suggestions for "after dark" activities.....LOL :O)
    BUT I won't put in what I wanted to put in....Unless, of course, the partner I get is someone I KNOW will appreciate my weird sense of humor....LOL :O)

Oh well...This is incredibly fun, the most fun I've had planning a swap box in awhile!
    Thanks so much for hosting, Kathy!!!

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

I know, I keep buying stuff and thinking...hmm...wonder if my partner will like that...these are so much fun!

I enjoyed reading the legend Kathy,,,it was really a fun read!

Linda