Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

UPDATE: Spring garden Quilt squares

beth_b_kodiak
14 years ago

Time to start a new thread.

Carmen, glad you stopped by to say hello and yes this has been a fun swap with lots of really nice blocks done.

Linda I'll be watching the mail for your package too.

I was overly optimistic thinking that more blocks might arrive today BUT I did get two of the quilting books that I ordered.

One on Patchwork Jackets that I've been wanting to try and the other on "strip quilting". I'm going to have tea and take a look.

I spent some time earlier pruning shrubs in front of the house so I deserve a sit down. (says me)

Comments (58)

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Mine should arrive with in the next day or so. What is a stack and whack pattern? I've never heard of it. I'll try to google it- I can only imagine what I'll come up with, LOL! I'm working on a rustic quilt (patchwork) for the dog bed. Melvin and Toby are going to love it! Do you handwash handmade quilts, or put them in the wash on delicate? Also, do you pre-wash your new fabric before using for shrinkage purposes?

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Wow, Stack and whack is really pretty, I love the kaleidoscope effect! I'm going to look for some fabric to play around with this technique/method of quilting! The ideas are endless, LOL! Now, if I only had tons of extra time! ;)

Deb

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

gee Deb, now i have to go and look it up...LOL!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

That Whack-n-Stack IS pretty cool! I tried it out a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I did it with solid colors, and I think next time I'm going to do it with prints to get more of a kaleidascope (sp?) effect.

I love finding out all of you are quilters and talking shop with you! Kind of makes me feel like I did when I first found the GW! How cool is that?

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

THE SUN IS OUT!! "dancing all around" I'm going to have lunch with my friend and then go to her house to check out her quilting stuff. She wants to show me what she uses and how to use it before I go and buy anything. She's the one that sews beautiful things so she is a good mentor that I can go to if I get stuck with something....AND...I have already picked out my next pattern after much deliberation!..."passing out tea and coffee and scones"..

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Beth-Glad you liked them. They are pretty easy to do and these were left over blocks from when I made a top but never put all the blocks togeather untill now. I didn't do it to impress anyone. They were there waiting to be sewed.

The Wack n' Stack is mostly in the cutting. I found a large print I was not impressed with, in my stach. Find the rotation pattern in the print and try to line them up. You need 8 rotations for one block, but you can cut many out of one set of rotations. NEVER will you ever get the same flower. I cut 25 different sets and NEVER had 2 alike.

This is so much fun. I think I have something special in each of the next blocks for all to find.

This morning I have blueberry muffins for all.
    Later
    gmom

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

G'mom, we love ya! Even if you don't bribe us with goodies.
    Lots to tell this AM I hope the computer co-operates.
    Tammy, greenthumbgrow, has had to bow out. She has been having a lot of computer problems, MAybe she will be able to get in on the next one.
    Two more packages arrived yesterday from Deb A and from Melinda.
    Deb send a variety of blocks in combos of greens and browns. Some very pretty prints and combos there.
    Melinda has done a lot of various patterns including Friendship star, Hour Glass Calico star and MAgic cross..
    Lots of variety in these in both patterns and colors.
    Sure glad I don't have to pick favorites from all these patches you folks have sent!!!!!
    It looks like all the patches have arrived so now I need to get to work getting them ready to send back.
    I just know all of you will be so pleased.
    Hugs and thanks to everyone.
    Beth

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

HURRAH!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

here come the blocks! here come the blocks! yayyyyyyyyyy!!!

• faintheart
    14 years ago

This is so fun!!! I am feeling the same way, Dan ....just didn't picture it quite like that. *giggles so much she gets the hiccups* *hic*

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK sleepy heads. The blocks are sorted......now on to the seeds.
    MAny sent seeds and said they did not care what they got back so I feel I can send some seeds to everyone.
    IF YOU do not want to get seeds in your package please give a shout. Meanwhile I'm going over to watch Dan dance.(Maybe Linda too)
    HAve a beautiful weekend
    Beth

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Beth, who's the guy in the red robe next to you? Linda sure looks like she's having a good time dancing with that fella in the blue robe, doesn't she? lol...

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Dan, the shirt gets tucked INTO the Tutu!.."shaking head"

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe it;s Cryptid??? He's the only other guy i know who is part of this crays bunch.
    Yes Linda is swinging it too. Now If I could get Jack to dance a little more. Well, Maybe not.
    Haha

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, it's a pic from our last bake sale! Dan made some AWESOME brownies!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

into the tutu??? ***bonking myself on the head*** I wish you'd told me that earlier!!! you've got to admit though, my footwork ROCKS!!! ((chuckling))

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The blocks are back in the mail!!!!!
    Sorry about the delay but the weather has been awful and the trip over the mountain to town scares me even on a good day. LOL
    Someday I'm going to take pictures of that road but There are not many safe places to stop and get pics.
    Anyway, the mailman has them now and hopefully you will see them within a few days.
    Thanks again.
    BB

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh boy, oh boy!! I'm nearly as excited as Dan was!
    Uh....maybe not quite so much....but I AM excited! :o)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I can't wait!.."ginerly jumping up and down"

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Wooooohoooooooo!!! I'm excited too! Did you have enough for postage, Beth?

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

YAY!!!!YIPEE!!!!!Friday is my B-DAY!!It would be great if my blocks arrived on Friday!!! Robin

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

That's just the kind of good news I need to hear right now! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! ***doing a jig and NOT wearing the tutu!***

Robin...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Robin!!

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Yeah, I can't wait to see the beautiful ones I get! Plmk if need more postage! Thanks, Melinda

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

just so everyone knows...I bought a rotary cutter and a mat so my next batch of squares should be a little better than this batch.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Geeze Linda, I thought you did a good job.
    The mat and cutter do save time though.
    I bet you will enjoy them.
    BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Robin, Hope you have the special day you deserve.
    Big hugs
    Beth

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

MY SQUARES HAVE ARRIVED!! MY SQUARES HAVE ARRIVED!! and I got to enjoy them over my tea..how much better can you start a day than that??
    They are all so wonderful and colorful and gorgeous!! This was an absolutely fabulous idea, Beth!! "throwing confetti on Beth"..
    soooo..what's everyone going to do with theirs when we're finished completing the exchanges? Are you going to put the names on each square? If so, with what?..Inquiring minds want to know..

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Didn't get mine blocks today. Maybe tomorrow!!!

I do hope everybody like them all. I have been thinking about putting the name on each block. Maybe cross stitch.

Don't know how I will put them together or what to make them into yet. My husband wants more table cloths.

gmom

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Beth,
    My blocks arrived today. Thank you so much! They are beautiful and I appreciate the seeds, too. We have been having rain for three days now so no planting going on for me, but the plants that are out there are really enjoying the rain.
    Robin, Happy Birthday!
    Linda, a rotary cutter and mat make everything so much simpler. I wouldn't do without mine. My rationalization for the expenses of quilting was that because I spent so much on the equipment and supplies, I would make sure to keep using them! LOL
    Linda, I only traded two blocks so no plans for mine so far. I personally am not one to write names on the blocks even though I do like to know who they are from when they arrive. Mine were from Beth and Michelle. Thanks again, ladies!
    Dan's swap sounds like a lot of fun, but just too busy to join in right now. I know I will join in again if we keep doing this. March is just a very busy month for me... time to get lots done in the garden before it gets too hot and sort of my last few days to winter sow.
    Have a good weekend, everyone!
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I received my blocks today. There are such a variety of colors! Which I"m happy for, because I love the scrappy look!
    I'm not sure how I'll put them all together yet, but I know I"m making MYSELF!!! a lap quilt. I think I'll wait to make definite plans for them until Dan's swap wraps up, that way I"ll have all the blocks.

Thank you to everyone for making the blocks! They are all great. :o)

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I got mine today also! And I am thrilled!! I definitely will be making quilts out of mine for myself after the swaps!
    Thanks to each and everyone of you who sent in as I am so happy to have them!
    I will embroider or use fabric paint and put name and date on each of my squares as a friendship quilt!
    Or a person could record the info with a permanent marker on a piece of material and sew to the back of the quilt when done to keep a record of it.
    But thanks so much to everyone!
    Happy Birthday Robin!!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

you've all got me jealous now. I should receive my box of blocks tomorrow, according to the usps.com site. what makes waiting truly difficult is knowing that they are more than likely sitting in the sorting plant, not 2 miles from where I live! waaahhhh!!! lol!!!

Peace.
    -Dan

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday, Robin!!! Hope you are having a great birthday! :)

No blocks here yet. *sigh*

Dee

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Thank You All !!I`ve had a wonderful day!!!My blocks didn`t come yet but that gives me something to look forward too!!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Surprising where the blocks arrived and where they did not.
    I had figured g'mom would be first as she lives nearest.

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Me get mine first? Oh ya!! I'm like Dan, our blocks are in a sorting station somewhere. Dan is in the city, and I'm out in the country and another city. But with any luck maybe today.

gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

MY BLOCKS CAME TODAY!!! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!! And you want to know something funny and good? I received one of my own back, which is a good thing too! I completely forgot to make one for myself, so getting one back was VERY nice!!! You all did such great work on your blocks, and now I have some! Yay!!! They're the first part of a quilt I intend to make with what I receive in these swaps, sort of like a warm, fuzzy garden, made by my friends, which will bring me years of warmth and comfort! Thank you all for sending!!!

Peace.
    -Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

I got mine too!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU to all who took part. They are wonderful. I didn't get one of mine back but I did get 2 of one block.

Don't forget to change your clocks. Night all.
    gmom

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Juggling the blocks became tricky as some sent less than twelve and two dropped out.
    Many of you got two from the same person but since several of us did a variety of patterns I was able to return 12 different blocks to most folks.
    I could not figure any other way to do it.( Suggestions welcome for another time.)
    I enjoyed them all and found it difficult to decide which ones to keep.
    I'm going to send Dan at least two different ones but have not decided yet on #2

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Beth, I think you've done an excellent job! And, if anyone wants to disagree with me, well, they can just come closer to me so I can stick them with my needle...lol!

If anyone would like to join my swap still, there's still plenty of time to get your quilt blocks in to me. The due date is April 2nd, which means there are about 2 weeks left to get them in the mail.

Once I get done doing my stuff on the ol' 'puter, I'm going to spend the afternoon sewing and chillaxing.

Happy Sunday to Everyone!

Peace.
    -Dan

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Good morning! I am happy with mine! I think you did a wonderful job!
    BTW, I will be sending you more postage! I miscalculated a bit, didn't I? So be on the lookout as I will post in the po tomorrow! Thanks, Melinda

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Beth this was an absolutely WONDEFFUL idea and you deserve chocolate dipped strawberries..."handing you big chilled bowl full". This is the most fun I've had for awhile and it got me through the worse part of the winter! "throwing some chocolate chip cookies on the plate too"

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey guys, I wasn't fishing for compliments. Just thought I should explain why some people got two of the same blocks.
    Anyway, It was great fun.
    I love chocolate dipped strawberries.
    Melinda, don't worry about the postage. I sent stuff back the same way it was sent to me but see that first class got things delivered at least as fast as the priority mail.
    BB

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

My blocks arrived yesterday !!!I`m very happy !!!Thank You all for such beautiful blocks!I love every one of them !!I got one of mine back too but like Dan I`m so glad because I didn`t make one for myself.
    Beth,Thank You so much for hosting this swap!!!
    Robin

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

My blocks arrived yesterday too! Thank you so much Beth, for coordinating such a neat swap! I love all my blocks, each one is so different! Everyone did such a fantastic job!

Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I got my blocks on sat just didn't have time to post, I love them and will be making some tote bags out of a few by adding a few small borders, others I will set aside and this fall when we have had several more rounds I will make a GW friends quilt. may to put on the wall at our new house (once we pick one out, and get this one sold)
    thanks and big hugs to beth
    michelle

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Hi all!

Like Michelle, my blocks arrived on Saturday but I was busy for the weekend and didn't have any computer time. Thank you everyone for sharing your creativity and to Beth for hosting such a fun swap! Not sure yet what I will put together with them but I think a GW friends quilt is a super idea. Also excited about some wonderful new seeds to start! Thank you again everyone!

Dee

• ivorybigsis
    11 years ago

I have a Singer Featherweight in good condition to sell

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Ivory, this is entirely the wrong place for commercials.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!