Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

UPDATE: #3 Tropical Subtropical Round Robin

rosepedal
15 years ago

Well I better do this now or else I will forget later..LOL :)

Comments (150)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hear ya go heather...I think today is your day :) 0307 3330 0001 7055 6368 Hugs Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hugs Karyn you and Karma got me started on this RR...If I didnt have your two support I would have never done it...It really was everyone that pulled together to make it so successful...I feel really bad about dropping out of the cutting swap but with this and my sister's problems I couldnt deal with everything at the moment... I believe going back in GW history this was the first Tropical seed swap that was successful..I could be wrong... It was all of you turkeys that pulled it off...I just bagged seed for ever...hahhahaha I told al I dont want to see a seed for a long time...:) Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karmas words thru email she is sicker than a dog.....

"I about fainted when I saw the package. Im shocked to see the seeds I only dream of. Please thank everyone as I am sicker than a dog here with that viral infection that has hit PNW."

You all made another person smile again..Isnt it wonderful..Barb

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

;)

The mailman just came!!!! I really don't know what I was thinking! What ever am I to do with all of these seeds! ha ha ha..... empty seedbox!!! not for long!

Thanks so much Barb (and everyone else) honest I don't think I can grow most of these, but there are some I am really dying to try! BooHoo I need a greenhouse!!! Still some great stuff here if I can ever track down the info to start them

Have a great day everyone..... frances (who is trying to figure out how to convince the hubby that we need a LOT more windows) a lot more..........

Special thanks for the Datura and brug seed (I know I can grow these) in fact was just getting ready to start some datura. The perennials and vines are most welcome too.

Does anyone know any tricks for tecoma stans (I have been trying to grow this for two years, am just about ready to buy a yello cross vine instead. (same family, definately hardy here)

still rummaging around in the envie..... more questions and head scratching later

• divahethr
    15 years ago

OMG I'M SO OVERWHELMED THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! Barb I could kiss you! You did a wonderful job and thank you everyone who sent in seeds!!! I love my seeds!!! I'm so grateful. WOW!!!

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can do it Francess we have faith in you...:)

I totally agree we have a lot of knowledge in this RR and they need to share it..Lol There were seeds I never heard of..hahha

I knew yours were coming today and a few others...:) I am so happy and smiling that we could help each other out so much in our crazy love of seeds and gardening... Gw really does rock! I love it here with all of you crazy gardeners...:) barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yahoo Heather kisses back at ya..Now share some knowledge with us newbies...Lol Another smile..You all have been giving a lot of smiles today....

• zubababy
    15 years ago

I just received my big envie of seeds. These are great! There are so many in here that I have been wanting to try.
    Thank you to everyone, especially you Barb!
    Off to figure out what some of these seeds are.
    Kristi

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another happy gardener...:) Kristi thank you for all your hard work too..Much appreciated what you did too...Barb you gardening buddy...

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chenas Kylie words on the brug forum for you all..She is really excited getting a greenhouse they will come in handy for her...Lucky girl :) a big one too I am so jealous.....

WOW!!! Is right!! Mine came today also..WOOHOO!!!
    Barb thanks so much for all of your hard work.. There are some great seeds in here..and of course the Mystery Sprout..LOL I know you packed a ton of stuff.. This looks like half of a shroom with a sprout???? any clue?
    HUGS!!
    Kylie

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Holy Moly.....What a surprise! Took my neighbor and I an hour to go thru that wonderful envie of seeds that arrived today. Felt like a kid in a candy store, with so many goodies to try and not knowing where to start first! WOW WOW WOW.......

Spent the better part of the rest of the afternoon getting some of them started too.

I'm guessing the half of a shroom with a sprout....hehehehe.....and no I didnt send it in....to be a Crinum Lily bulb.

Frances I can't seem to empty my box of seeds out either. I just know that when I close the lid them seeds are in there fooling around and making more.

Tecoma Stans are easily propagated from seeds sowed directly into pots and require no pretreatment, seedlings require 3-4 months in the nursery before planting out, or from semi-hardwood stem cutting.

I will be busy googling several of the seeds I received as well to see the best methods for starting them. I really appreciate all the seeds that everyone sent in and shared, many I had hoped and wished for, Thank-you Very Much!

Barb, Thank-you so much for all your hard work and time in putting this all together for us.

Regina

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

I received my packet of seeds today also. WOW...There are no words to describe my shock at the variety of seeds. I have to say, my reaction was similar to Frances...what the heck did I get myself into. ha ha. I don't even know 1/4 of the seeds I was sent and will be doing a lot of research.

Thank you all SO much for all the seeds. Barb, you are one of THE BEST! You did a great job putting this fantastic tropical trade together. Very very nice job Barb.

I'm SOOOOO excited to get all the growing stats on all these seeds and get them all plantd up this weekend.

Barb, I got a bit too excited for spring and planted seeds wwwwwaaaayyyy too early. Now I have to pot all these dawg gone vining seedlings in larger pots. I don't know why I do this to myself EVERY year. You would think I would learn...eh?

We are supposed to get another snow storm this weekend. Yowsers, enough already. I'm, ready for some serious outdoor gardening.

Thank you all SO much for all the wonderful seeds.

~Tj~

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

I am absolutely thrilled and amazed!
    Doing the happy dance after 2 really hallacious days at work to come home to one of the bulkiest envies filled with some of the most desired seeds ever. Whoo Hooo!

You did a fabulous job Barb!!!

Thank you every one of you glorious gardening seed lovers!!!

La Donna

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh you all are really making me happy :) !...Now you all know why I was breaking china across america doing the happy dance whenever you all sent your seeds in..Doesnt it just make you smile what gardeners do for one another...Francess was also so correct to say it was not only the seeds but sharing our selves to one another...Okay I am sap! So what..hahhah I love you all :)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regina you wouldnt be picking on our Katie zoo keeeper would ya! Lol You floridans get way too much sunlight..hahhah I would jump over a cliff for those being zone 4...I believe they are called bulblets...hahah I happen to love them and have them planted in my zone 4 gh..:)

Hay katie and Regina A new business for you just mail out bulblets us northerners will buy them..Lol Cracking up :) I think I need sleep now...Night night hugs to all....zzzzz

• chellflower
    15 years ago

OMG'Ness!!! I got a huge envie today!!!! Spent a few hours googling, but I managed to get info on all of them....except the half 'shroom looking thingy (?potato vine bulb?!?).

The funny part is that I just finished planting the last of my seeds yesterday and finally got my seedbox empty, LOL. Yeah, that didn't even last a full 24 hours...its pretty full again! (the way I like it actually!)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your seeds. And thank you so much Ladygreensleeves (Regina) for the bag of special seeds you sent in for me~~~You ROCK!!!!

Barb, you've done a wonderful job with this swap!Thanks for all of your hard work and time spent organizing seeds into our envies...its obvious that you were checking want lists rather than just chunking seeds in bags, and I truly appreciate all of your effort. Now, please take a break and forget how much work was involved so that you'll be more inclined to host this swap every year (hint, hint, LOL). Great Big Ole ((HUGS)) to ya Tropical Diva girlie!..and Kudos for desert!!!

I hope Karma gets better soon! I caught that same bug last Wednesday (3/18th).. I was big dog sick also...and felt greener than St Patty himself! (ugh!). My son caught it last Sunday, but he was fine by late afternoon. Good thing it only lasts about a day or so....

Gotta go play with my new seeds again before bedtime. Hope every one enjoys their goodies!!!

Chell

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

oohhh heck no not picking on anybody.....just a guess,at it being the crinum lily. The mushroom thingy made me laugh, does look like a mushroom without a stem.....My neighbor asked me what the two rocks in the bag were for....lol. I looked over and said thats crinum bulbs. Most everyone cuts the flower spike off before it goes to seed and don't get to see them. I have a purple leafed one (Queen Emma)too. Its a young one and hasent flowered yet. Crinum lily's are seen thru out the landscaping here. They grow with the rest of the weeds around here like elephant ears and banana plants.....right Katie.

Here is a link that has a pictures of the crinum bulb.
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/93829/ you will need to copy and paste the link to your browser, but hopefully it will help.

Shellflower I was delighted to be able to enable you with some wishes that you wanted.

Regina

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

WEEDS WEEDS WEEDS
    just a bunch of pretty little weeds lol.
    Schrooms now if they would only dance like the ones in Fantasia lol. Yup thoses be mine anyone want more lol. Hummmm looking around for any more bulbs for those crazy Northerners.

Katie

• karyn1
    15 years ago

We're not crazy, just COLD!!!!!!! It's been 20-30 below average here for the longest time and I'm sick of it. That's why I'm going back down to FL tomorrow. lol Katie I'm hoping to get to meet you at the zoo next week if you're around.
    Karyn

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everyone!

Chell I am happy you received them...Wasnt that nice of regina :) Cracking up rocks and mushrooms...hahahhah How funny...Man I wish I was regina and katies neighbor...Karyn you get to go meet katie..whaaa I want to meet her too... :) You two have fun and stay out of trouble..Lol I am happy to report that my three scented geraniums I spent a arm and a leg for on shipping didnt croak last night...I bought the plants for 3.50 but by the time you add on shipping they were 10 dollars a piece...Ouch Lesson learned here in WI...But they are neat ones and I cant find them around here...I suppose they grow like weeds in florida..hahahahh Have a good day everyone...Barb

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone, I have to go to the post office! I took a fall and have been really sore, so I haven't been online much. I have missed everyone too. I didn't break anything, but I feel as though I have been beaten with a stick. Anyway I will post again later when I get my seeds.

Barb, Thanks so much for doing this swap. It has been great fun.
    Linda

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

First I like to thank Karyn1 for giving me the link to here. Man I tried to find it by myself lol

I know I have not been over here much. Which I truly love to change. I LOVE collecting seeds and now I found out that this way you can get seeds you would 1st never think of getting...NEW gardener lol. I am with you Barb lol But you are a lot faster and I am having a hard time catching up with you hahaha

Barb...

Thank you that you organized this. You deserve a medal. I will never forget my 1st RR

To everyone that shared their seeds:

Lucy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I received my package in the mail yesterday on a very dull, dreary and RAINY day.. it sure did put a smile on my face!! I will be busy googling all my new babies tonight you can be sure! THANKYOU so much everyone that shared all these beauties!!! THANKYOU Barb for all the hard work you put into sorting and packaging them for their return home.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS!
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

hmmm I have a question! I have a pkg of seed here, it's in a homemade packet, looks like a page from a seed catalog. It says 'Pink Tabel(?)..ia' I can't make out the handwriting. Does anyone know what this is??

Thanks!
    ~Wendy

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I just bought 2 geraniums last week and potted them up to display out in front of the house. Don't think they were the scented ones thou...just smelled like regular ole geraniums to me. I got a red one and a white one,and yes they grow like weeds around here. Lowes and Home Depot had tons of them, but I've never seen the scented ones offered before.

Linda good heavens girl stay off the pond, no ice skating for you.....lol. Seriously now I hope you are feeling much better and on the mend from your fall. We have tile floors here and one drop of water and you go sliding, very dangerous. But the home builders and home owners here think that so called Spanish tile is fab. I think it's a accident waiting to happen.

Anytime any of ya'll get down this way to enjoy some of the sunshine let me know. Would so enjoy being able to meet my fellow gardenwebbers. And we can go to the zoo and see Katie too, as well as go to the Mounts Botanical Gardens. I can also be found lurking on the yahoo chat site chatting with fellow gardeners under bl_topaz in the evenings.

Regina

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you thank You!!!!!
    I can't say it enough.

My package arrived today and even as sore as this body is, I am doing the happy dance ( albeit a little less gracefully) lol.

Thank you so much to all who sent in such cool seeds. There are a few I have never seen, so I will be researching those. I hope you all like the seeds that I sent too.

Barb, There is just no other way to say it....

YOU ROCK!

Thanks again everyone, I am going to go through my envie once more before I have to cook dinner.

Linda

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea Wendy, Lucy and Linda! Linda I am so sorry to hear of your fall..Wow I hope you feel better soon! Time for planting....

Wendy sorry I cant help you..A mystery seed..I have some of them in my stash too..I cant even read what I wrote on their baggies...

Regina I will take that offer up if I ever make it to florida..I have never been there..Would love to see it someday... I got on this geranium kick last fall along with adeniums... I like how bugs dont really dont like them...Well all I am wiped out...Spring cleaning all day..:) At least the house is sparkling...I did make it outside in the yard today to pick up fallen branches from the winter...Lol that took a while in the woods..:) Have a great evening Barb

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I am going to take a guess at wendy's mystery seed too. Would it be Pink Tabebuia Tree? That's what came to mind first and what came up under spell check.

Barb I really like the adeniums too and started several from seed last year as well as from cuttings. I have two that are big with the huge caudex on them. I'm just getting started on the geraniums. I have one that I've had for a long time, gets one long leggy branch on it,have never seen it bloom, I cut it back and reroot it and it does the same thing all over again. Ohhh, And just let me know when your headed this way,so that I can sweep the dirt under the rug.....lol.

Regina

• kiddo
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone. I got my seeds yesterday what a wonderful assortment. I'm in heaven! Lot of them I have never even heard of lol. Thank all of you! A special thanks to Bard for making this all come together,for all the hard work
    and for being such a sweet host
    Happy growing everyone!
    Kiddo

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I just looked up the pink tabebuia, it is beautiful I can't wait to plant some . I am having so much fun planning all these tropicals, I hope by the time I have to keep them inside again, I have a larger greenhouse. LOL

Linda

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks Regina! I think you may be right! :D

Now I have 2 more 'mysteries' that maybe will sound familiar to someone:

'Musa Higa' I can read it perfectly.. I just can't find any info on what it IS! lol

'Salsa' ... that's all the label says, they almost look like a light colored Jap. Maple seed but I really have no idea.. anyone know what this might be?

It is an icky WET day here, lots and lots and lots of rain.

Hugs,
    Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everyone moving slow today....Regina Lol that is what I do....Strange geranium I wonder if it is the heat it doesnt like...Silly plant...

Yea Toni isnt this fun to get so many neat seeds..:) I am happy you like them...There were some neat ones for sure...

Linda Lol I can relate...I am glad you aer feeling better :) You all have a great friday...I am still spring cleaning..:) few things left to do and Than I can play outside....Barb

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Can I add my WOW's to this list!?! lol. I got my package last night and WOW, WOW, WOW...you guys are awesome!! I can't wait to sit down and google them all. Like Wendy, I will probably have some questions too. I know for sure I will have at least one cause when I poured out the seed packets, there was a stray seed loose in the bag. I have to see if I can find where that came from. It was a rather large seed so I'm sure someone will know what it is! ;-)

I can't wait to start sowing these seeds! Oh how I wish I had a greenhouse!! :-(

Talk to you soon!
    Amy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Amy!

I am glad they made it! You have a loose one...Can you take a picture of it..Maybe we can Id it for you...Have fun googling and a great weekend too :) Barb

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

lol Barb, if you have the spring cleaning bug......... lol! I got mud everywhere! all that whining about drought and now I live in the middle of a lake (actually more like a bog) My azalea started blooming and I can't go out and take photos without getting knee deep in the mud!

yukk!!!! Have a great day everyone, I am going to sit here and kick myself for not getting those rain barrels I wanted

Frances

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

ok....going to take a guess at the "mystery's" again the first one. musa inga....banana, check this link out for the scoop on it. http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/ae216e/ae216e0l.htm

salsa...I'm going to say tomatillo seed, grows like a tomato and heres the link for it. http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Eden+Project+Seeds++The+World+in+Your+Garden/Tomatillo+-+Salsa+Plant+(Eden+Project+range)+189388.htm
    but the discription of the seed doesnt quite fit does it ???? Other searches came up with various peppers....thats a tricky one!

Would that rather large loose seed be the famous crinum bulb....lol.

got to run....prom night for the boy....got to drop him off....later ya'll

Regina

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol Regina I am cracking up...Wendy salsa is a plumeria seed from lucy.....We were typing at the same time..:)

Francess dont even get me started on mud..We have company coming tommorow and I have 8 paws bringing it in everytime they need to go outside...Thank goodness for wood laminate floors..I would strangle them...Not really they are spoiled...We tote all the carpets out because of all the paws..I really like that sweep jet..It works good for animals....

Regina oh how wonderful prom that is great....He worked his tux off I take it....We are going gambling tommorow should be fun I havenet been in a year..Als mom was the lucky one lsat year...I hope I can wish some cash..I need dirt..Lol :)

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Oh Regina how exciting! PROM Night!!!! They grow up WAY too fast do they not!!!! I expect the first of my grandsons will be having "prom' any minute!!! it is so sad (but so amazing) to see them all grown up, looking so handsome (pretty) in their prom attire...... ahhhhh..... I miss the kids at times like this. But soon enough I wil see them!

Toamtillos? I have seen them at the market, they go in salsa??? I just finished my last bottle of salsa from last year. So sad.... my DH doesn't eat tomatoes (except for ketchuplike consistancy) SO I make lots of yummy salsa for me!!! very chunky, medium hot, lots of colour and crunch!!!

Maybe I will try some of those this year, they look like tomatoes with a paper shell right? how hot are they??? Easy to grow????

I will not complain about the rain.... ha ha ha (Its been raining for 4 days) it will probably not rain again till NOV!!! I am trying to be patient!

Barb, Lucky you with laminate, I have CARPET and ceramic tile... no ceramic anywhere near a door, MUD right onto the CARPET (BRIGHT RED ORANGE MUCK on beige carpet) IT AINT PRETTY

UG I really need more wine.... not whine lol.... I have been googling seed till my eyes hurt....

Speaking of googling.......

I guess by now you've all seen "Google Earth" very cool, google your address and you can see an aerial image of your hous, well now you can actually see YOUR HOUSE at street level.... its a little creepy in a cool sort of way.... gives you that "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING" feeling in the pit of your tummy.

Barb good luck Gambling.... I haven't been in years!

Gotta run...... too many seeds too little time (I am an old lady.....) can't wait 5 years for a seed ladies, best run out and buy some palm trees if I want them!!!!

ha ha ha

Frances

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

ROTFLMAO...I got home and had been thinking about that winged seed all the time I was gone and it came too me like a light bulb....it's a plumeria seed.....ROTFLOLMAO.....
    Wendy you got yourself a goody there.....soak it overnight in a wet paper towel. Plant it in moist potting mix with the wing sticking up out of the soil. They germinate in about 21 days, soaking it should germinate sooner. There is a site called plumeria101.com that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about plummies.

I took lots of pictures of the kids all dressed up in their gowns and tuxs.....they met up at the Veteran's park and all the parents took pitures of them in front of the fountain on the bridge and at the limo.Yea they got a limo too and going out to dinner.....more bucks! The driver let me get in and take pictures too. Better have for what it cost......lol. And he still has some "working" off to do! Can't complain to much about it.....he's been awarded a full scholarship to collage, a 1,000 scholarship from the city here,a bright futures scholarship, and will be the Saluatorian for his graduating class..... thats what we know of so far. So yea..... I guess you could say he's worked that tux off after all. But we won't let him know that.....lol.

Good luck on the gambling tomorrow.....been along time since I did any myself. Don't let anybody touch your coins or tokens...instant bad luck! Advice from an old vegas blackjack dealer here ;)
    I've got dirt for ya too....still digging that pond...........hahahaha with my own 4 critters tracking paw prints across the tile all day.....swifter to the rescueeeeeee..........

Regina

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

you know Regina I have never looked at your list till this very minute. what sort of honeysuckle/iris/lilies would you like?

do you have any of those mandevilla with roots? you know a quart sized pot of mandevilla costs $20 here????

lol...... I wish I had a greenhouse.... think I'll get one of those "FlowerHouse" things this year, our winter is short and mild enough here, should be all I need.

Have a great evening

(vegas dealer?????) maybe we've met in a previous life ha ha ha I used to love BlackJack and Vegas Shows

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

THis is a four WOW trade. I can't believe the number of seeds. I'll be busy looking them up and planting them. It is unbelievably wonderful
    Thanks so much Barb, you did a really good job!!!
    Barb

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Wendy, when I Googled the Musa Higa, it was listed on one site as a 'wild banana'

As for the Plumeria...once it sprouts be sure to plant it in a pot with good drain holes, and Never Overwater it. They have shallow root systems and are prone to root rot if overwatered. Plumerias are succulent plants and, although popular in Hawaii, they actually originate from Mexico, so if you treat it like a cactus it will grow fine. If Plumeria 101 can't be found (I heard the domain name expired) you can also go to the Plumeria Society's site and find info.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Frances I have a couple of yellow mandevilla's rooted right now,one is about a year old the other just rooted it this past summer it's pretty small. It was like a oops.....a node at the ground that I thought had died but came back. Still havent got a purple one to root yet....and they have big ole spur like things at the nodes, gives ya the impression it would root easy,hasent in my case. Havent tried rooting the white or the red parasol mandevilla's.
    I like honeysuckles that smell nice.......lol
    I have one that I grew from seed,started blooming this year. I think it's listed on my seed have list.
    I have been looking for a walking blue Iris,I have the yellow. I had the blue one many years ago. I also like the big blue Iris that you see in the ponds. Actually I don't think there is an Iris or Lily I don't like.....lol.
    Lived in Vegas for awhile, was a Blackjack and Roulette dealer...... that was a few years ago.....lol.Some of the things I seen while living there..... and not all of them were shows either.....

Was at Plumeria101 today site is still there with info.....havent gotten any of their news letters in awhile however,interesting.

Regina

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning Everybody! Happy saturday to you all...:)

Hi Barb :) I am excited to hear from you...I am glad they made it to you...How are you doing down there? They are calling for a snowstorm up here...Lol I have a geranium coop coming in the mail today too...I might as well right them off...Oh well :(

Francess you poor thing I remember alabama soil all so well red as can be....That would be tough to take care of...I told al the day we moved here to the cabin the carpet is out of here... Lol Francess I have some baby mandeville they are just seedlings...I will toss one in when I send you your plant...You will have to coddle it...I bet ones of those gh structures would work down south..At least for some stuff.....

Chell Wendy Regina I cant get a plumie seed to germinate if it kills me...I bought some from a few different places and none ever germinated..Oh booey... They are tricky to me...I bought some cliva seeds yesterday off ebay and gonna give them a try...I seen you have to soak them first...Anyone grown them before? I could use some help on them..:)

Regina a black jack dealer neat..I bet you have seen some weird stuff..Lol Congrats on your sons achievements! You have done a wonderful job raising a boy..Give yourself a big pat on the back and I say yes he does deserve that limo and out to eat..You must be so proud of him..:) Now when he goes off to college stay strong...Is he your last one? Or do you still have some at home? It is tough being a empty nester...I get to squeeze and hug my daughter today..:) I am so happy....

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Barb,
    Here is a way to try your plumeria seed. I soak them in hot water, usually overnight, but sometimes more and then I fill a sandwich size ziplock baggie with soil about 1/3 of the way.
    Then I stand the little seed up with it's "wing" sticking out of the soil ( it looks like it is waving to you) and seal the baggie and set them under flourescent lights. I usually turn the lights on when I get up and off when I go to bed, so there isn't a set amount of time I leave them on. Normally they will germinate in couple of weeks, but sometimes a lot faster too.
    I have been doing this for a couple of years and this year I have had 47 germinate so far and more are planted... We'll see what happens..
    I hope it helps, Linda

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Yes Barb ...he is the last one at home. And very proud of him. He has always been the academic wiz of the kids.Will be sad to see him head off to college next fall, but know he will be making something of himself in the long run.
    We are looking forward to being empty nesters too....we have earned it.

As for the plumeria seed I soaked mine like Linda but in a paper towel and potted it with its wing sticking up. I like too use 5 inch pots and cover them with 2-liter soda bottles and sit them on a shelf on the porch where they get filtered sun. Almost all of them germinated within a couple of weeks or sooner. Right now they just look like little green sticks in a pot, since they go dorment in the winter and loose all their leaves. Some of my bigger ones planted out in the yard have started leafing out already, or showing new growth.
    I think everyone has developed techniques that work for them almost all the time. I try new ones that I read about some work for me ,some don't. I wonder at times if it has anything to do with not doing the technique properly or is it bad seed,or zones???? And some things just don't grow for me! When I come across videos that show a technique or pictures that helps a bunch too.
    Well time to go get ready for trivia night.....have a nice evening everyone!

Regina

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone.
    A couple of questions on seeds I received...
    Cassia bahamensis Barbcolrus is this it? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2173/

Maradol Papaya - what is this? is it a fruit tree? any information on this would be appreciated.
    also Sunset Maradol Papaya (same as above)

Is there any special trick to getting the Christmas palm seeds to germinate? Is that a huge seed or a seed pod that I need to break open?

I identified the rogue seed...Nelumbo nucifera. It must have escaped it's packet during the shipping. I found the empty packet and googled it.

That's it for now. I have no idea where I'm going to put all of these once they germinate! :-) I sure wish I lived some place where they could live outside!

Good night,
    Amy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and say hello before this thread disappears! The sun came out today, seems like forever since I've seen it (not complaining about the rain, really I'm not) can't believe how two years of drought has made me so superstisous (sp?) about rain!!! ha ha ha

My clematis are all covered in buds! Gotta get them all moved to thier new trellises pronto. Also budding the new mini roses and the banksia roses!!! (I think it is just the white ones so far, but it is difficult to tell the way the two have twined together this winter.

THe daffs are still going stong, hopefully the wind will not completely flatten them!

I also am going to try my hand at starting some palm seeds, ( hope they don't grow too slow, I am an old lady doncha know ha ha ha) I have been waiting (rather impatiently) to see some germination from some umbrella palm seeds I got early this month, also have the christmas palm and jelly palm from this swap (especially interested in the Jelly Palm since it is hardy in my area!)
    Anyway have a great day everyone!!!!

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still have company gotta run...Could someone start a new thread please...:) Happy sunday...Barb