Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemctier

new: obf april swap: made in the shade!

rosemctier
13 years ago

I should note first that this swap is for active members of Our Bloomin' Friends.

The theme for this month's swap is "Made in the Shade!" I think most of us are starting to see signs of life in our gardens, or will be soon, and things will soon need to be divided, so this is perfect timing for this swap. I'd like this to be a plant swap for shade or partial shade loving plants. Of course, you are welcome to include other things, such as seeds or something that reminds you of the theme, but the majority of the box should be plants or bulbs. I think that since it's early we can keep the boxes on the smaller side as well. Signups will end on April 8 and let's get boxes mailed out the week of April 18 so nothing is trapped in slow holiday mail the following week. Please send packages priority mail and get delivery confirmation. Games will begin after signups are over :)

Comments (150)

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Faye's package was delivered this morning... I hope she's ok and around to get it!

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

ok I am a goof... I missed four numbers... the real tracking number is
    420 49862 9101 1288 8230 0654 5536 61

Heidi

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Treasa - I am so glad you are ok. You really have a sense of adventure traveling 5 hours one way like that. Sounds like something I would do. You really have been busy!

I know farmers in Ohio are complaining about all the rain. It seems the weather has been brutal all over. Hope all of our gardening friends are doing ok with all the tornadoes and high winds lately. Our power was out for five hours yesterday due to a downed tree. Many of them all over our area. We were very fortunate compared to VA, NC, etc.

Rose, I will venture a guess since you insist. The first number that comes to mind is 534, so that will be my guess.

I love the pictures of the dogs. I am gonna try to post one of mine below. It's a picture of my spoiled dog, and my spoiled husband lol! Hope it works!

Lots of nice packages being delivered. We have a great group! Have a wonderful evening everyone.

Sue N.

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Carol did not get a questionaire, Son left me a doggie on his visit this time he is a long distance truck driver, he picked it up from my daughters stupid boy friends house in new mexico where he did not want the dog in the house and was gonna chain it in the back yard for the winter, its a lil mini snauzer don't know what she is mixed with, was gonna travel with her but she gets car sick , so dropped her off with mommy, could be worse, could be grand children they drop off, daughter has left big lab mix and turtle now I have sophie who I re-named Tisha, took her for shots today, spay date on tuesday, my jack is not really happy about sharing me. three dogs and a turtle now, hope to be in next swap hugs carol

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Sue-Your little dog is precious. I bet he is a little spoiled.

Mavis-Thanks for the info on the plants. We did have a wonderful camping trip. 16 of us went and we always have a good time. The traffic in Pigeon Forge was horrendous, they had the Rod Run there so we stayed clear of that part. We actually went to the Knoxville Zoo on Saturday and really enjoyed that.

I now have over 600 potted plants for my plant sale this Saturday. I will have to take pictures before I start digging on the irises. I do not dig them unless someone picks them out while they are blooming. The sad part is after it is all over my yard does not look the same. Most all the blooming irises are gone by the end of the day.

Shirley

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awwww what a cute puppy! i want a lap dog so bad.

carol, i sent you another copy of the questionnaire. i'm sorry you didn't get the last one. and congrats on the new puppy! it isalways so wonderful to get a new pet.

heaven help me, i ordered some chicks today. no idea what i was thinking. i have wanted the buff polish for so long and they finally were available! i guess in the long run it doesn't matter if we have 14 chickens or 20. what's 6 more? and i just love their poofy goofy head feathers :)

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    congrats on the chicks, hubby's birthday gift was a 15 pack of mystery chicks(he could not decide on just one kind)out of 15 we got 2 polish a blue with white head and a white with black splotches. he also got some cochen, and araucona and 4 we still cant identify yet.
    I curently have 2 chicks in the bed room, an arucona got her foot stuck and was afraid it was broken and was bleeding alot, so set her and a friend up in a box an she is doing fine, may have broke a toe but the foot and leg are fine.

when it finaly stops RAINING I'm gonna build a nursry garden for all the new plants to go in till I deside where they go.

well time to get teh boys ready for school

see ya

michelle

ps cuit pups

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

The fur babies are too cute! I'll have to see if I can dig up a pic of ours.

600 potted plants Shirley? You've been busy!! Are your irises already blooming? We need pics!! :-)

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Thought I would drop in and say hello! Will be awhile for back on I am sure. I go in the morning and my sister is having her surgery and will stay with my son tomorrow night and then go in at 7:30 to have mine on Thursday. I am not scared, just dreading it. The long haul back out of it!
    I really appreciate all the prayers, thoughts, and concern. My daughter will post something on Facebook after it's over, so if any of you check there you will see it.
    Hope everyone is safe this evening! We are under severe thunderstorm warning and looks like gonna be a rough night for alot of people!
    Hugs to all! See you in a few weeks, hopefully sooner!
    Melinda

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Melinda, you are in my prayers. You are a strong lady, so hang in there. You are very brave. I am such a chicken when it comes to surgery, I am a big baby I admit.

Speaking of chickens, my hubby would love to raise a few. He used to live on a farm growing up and wants some rabbits, a goat, a horse, and some chickens. Of course we live in the middle of the city where none of that is allowed, and we only have 1/2 acre. One day, when we purchase our next place, we will look for more land. I envy all of you ladies that can raise animals, especially you Rose, they like you so much they come inside your house, like that crazy deer. Or that nutty goat that attacked you, lol!

Shirley, wow you have been busy, over six hundred plants, and I complain when I have to pot up fifty or so. I am so spoiled. I'm glad you had fun camping.

Emily, can't wait to see the picture of your dog. Anybody else have any pets? I'd love to see some pics.

Would you like to meet our Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot? She is absolutely crazy about my DH, but she hates me. Crazy bird squacks everytime I go near her. I have given up on trying to make her my friend. I read up on them, and they are usually attached only to one person. I always say that I'm gonna make parrot stew, of course I wouldn't but she is so annoying, lol!

So here is our psycho bird, Carlita

Hope to see pics of your pets too, and your blooming flowers.

Goodnight everyone.

Sue N.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Carlita is too cute!!

Here's Bella, our teacup chihuahua.

Melinda, you & your sister are in my thoughts & prayers!!!

Em

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

sue check with the city, we had hens in our back yard in town for 8 years. there is usualy a number limit but as long as there are not any roosters and they are contained( not running the streets) you should be ok.
    michelle

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I received my box from hostarookie. I think it was last Friday. Thank you so much. The box was wonderful.
    She sent me 2 hosta one color glory and the other one Diane Rememered, A Toad Lily, Siberian Iris Shakers Prayer and Dear Delight And she sent Gladiolus Bulbs, Blue Lagoon.
    She was so thoughtful. She made out name labels for everything and included them. That was just great.
    Again thanks you so much.
    Faye!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Em, your Bella is absolutely adorable!

Michelle, thanks for the tip. I will check with the city to verify.

Have a good night all.

Sue N.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sue, did you take the pic of carlita? because it definitely looks like she's taking a defiant stand LOL oh, regarding chickens, you might consider getting a few bantam hens, although it might be difficult to find them sexed as chicks. they are small enough that you could keep them in a big cage inside. i had a little yellow banty whose name was miss pacman because she's twirl around in a circle and then zip around in all direction. she was so cute :)

em, your pup is adorable! i want a real little dog sooo bad. my little dog weighs over 50 lbs!

melinda, thinking of you. faye, you too!

hope everyone is well!

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i forgot to post that i sent my package out. hopefully it will get there tomorrow!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Rose -

No, I didn't take the picture of Carlita, she just looks like that all the time, it's like permanent PMS, lol! She actually lunges at me when I get near her, so I don't dare try to take any pics of her. She is really "psycho". My son rescued her from a family that said they had adopted her and that she had been abused. How could anyone hurt animals? I don't get it. She really freaks out if you wear gloves or if you come near her with brooms or sticks. My husband has to hold her and take her out of the room for me to clean her cage because she is so afraid. So anyway, my son gave her to us since he couldn't deal with her attitude either.

I googled the bantam hens, boy are they cute! I can now threaten Carlita, in addition to telling her I will make parrot stew out of her I can let her know that I can make parrot stew and use her very ample cage for the bantam hen that I will replace her with, lol!

I am going for a sleep study tonight since the doctor thinks I have sleep apnea. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Have a good night everyone.

Sue N.

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Sue-Too funny about Carlita. She's very pretty though. I agree with you about abusing animals...I just can't do it.

Em - I hope you received your box today. I mailed it Tuesday.

Yoo Hoo I'm off tomorrow and have tons to do. Better get in the bed.

Maryanne I hope you are ok, haven't seen you post in awhile.

Shirley

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I received my package from Shirley... it was stuffed full with plants!!

Hosta Elvis Lives
    Hosta (unknown)
    Astilbe Fanal
    Japanese Painted Fern
    Bears Breeches
    Lilies:
    Brunello
    Gironde
    Black Out

Thank you sooo much Shirley! I already have everything planted. :-)

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    sue I had a pair of bannies in our basement at our old house, I kept them inside becouse we could not have a rooster at that house ( he was saposed to be a she) he would only crow when he heard us get up in the morning. they lived there for the whole winter, she layed eggs too.
    michelle

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hope everyone has a safe and happy easter! it's supposed to rain here so i suppose i will cook dinner instead of garden LOL

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Michelle, I think I will get my DH a pair of bannies to have in the basement (at least in the colder months). I'll bet that will make his day! We have some sort of shed that was on the property that was filled with hay when we bought this house from the bank I'll bet that would make a nice home for them in the warmer months (if the city doesn't object!)

Shirley and Faye, nice to hear from you. Well, don't work too hard getting ready for Easter. Rose, I'm gonna cook instead of garden too. But, today if it's gonna rain, I'm going to wear my full-body rain suit and go do some weeding and move stuff around. It has rained all week and it's supposed to rain every day except Tuesday next week. I can't take it anymore, lol!

Have a good day everybody.

Sue N.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sue, they are so cute-- even the roos sound cute when they crow! i love the brahman and the japanese ones. we has a black japanese banty that happened to be in love with a hen who was a cornish cross of some sort-- HUGE hen, more like a turkeyin size. it was hilarious watching him try to "woo" her-- he was so tiny he couldn't do much of anything (not for lack of trying of course) except ride on her back ., sometimes i don't think she even knew he was there, just wandered around the coop with a tiny roo attached to her at all times.

sue, you have GOT to post a pic of you in this rainsuit!!! i do not have a rainsuit, but i'm one of those people who likes being in the rain. i don't even bother with an umbrella usually unless it is raining so hard i can't see out of my glasses. i do have a very ugly rainhat i love to torture my child with by wearing it in public, but sadly my ability to embarrass is decreasing-- i think she is getting numb to my weirdness LOL

michelle hope your box got there okay!

y'all are wayyyyyy off in your daylily seedling guesses, so i'm proposing a do-over! i'll keep teh contest running until the 30th, so get your new guesses in before then!

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I wanted to pop in and wish everyone a Happy Easter tomorrow. I just returned home from spending 3 weeks helping to take care of my triplet grandsons. Whew, that was a busy time! What cuties though! I will read through the postings some time soon and see what has been happening here.
    Jeanne

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

I received my box from Heidi. She sent a couple Centaurea plants, two Butter and Eggs plants, a Lupine, white yarrow, and what she said was a Tiger Lily. Heidi, you were misinformed about the name of that one. It looks like a daylily to me. Also, some plant labels. Thank you, Heidi. On Heidi's note was a great anonymous quote: Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Sue N. I haven't mailed your box yet. We had snow a couple times, which delayed any digging. I will wait now until next week, OK?

I have chickens, and we sell a few eggs at the farmer's market.

I'm working Easter Sunday. Last night I sang a solo for Good Friday service. Happy Easter, everyone!

My daylily sprout guess is 2999. LOL

Treasa

• mellen
    13 years ago

Are the guesses too high or too low?

Sometime next week, I will post the new thread for May--Flowers from the April Showers....it will be strictly a plant swap.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

too low, heaven help me lol

• margaret_2007
    13 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-Somewhere in outer space there is a long message I was going to send. I wonder if that space it went to ever gets full! It has been some time since I have posted & I am delighted that I am still on the active list. Have had so many things going on since at least Thanksgiving (yes, it's been that long!). Seems life has a way of getting into my way of doing what I enjoy!

It is so nice seeing all the new members & older ones coming back to participate. I do hope I will be able to swap soon myself.

Melinda-Please know I am praying for you & will continue to do so, asking the Lord for a quick & complete healing for you.

Wishing each of you a wonderful blessed Easter. What a wonderful hope we have in Jesus! Blessings, Margaret

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

Hello everyone. Best wishes for a beautiful easter day.

Margaret, how wonderful to see you - have thought about you and glad to see you are back.

Melinda's daughter has posted that Melinda has come through the surgery well and is progressing in her recovery. The power of God and prayer is amazing, isn't it?

I would love to have chickens, but they don't allow them in my boro. One of these days though, since I have become a qualified chicken farmer in my head, i'm going to do it anyway. I'll avoid the rooster. Just a township over, they can have cows, goats, horses, whatever...so strange. Such beneficial little animals, I certainly don't see the harm.

My guess on your seedlings is 522.

My car died...funeral is next week. I have no clue what kind of vehicle to get - whether to lease or buy outright. I've driven a van for so many years, I have no clue what it would feel like to be behind the wheel of an actual car. Prices are outrageous, gas is unbelievably expensive and getting worse day after day. I don't even know where to start looking of what i want. Been a long time since i had a car payment. oh well, nothing i can do to avoid it.

Have a great Easter everyone.

Maryanne

• mellen
    13 years ago

Maryanne, Singing "Taps" in my head for your car.

Happy Easter to all of you!

Margaret, so WONDERFUL to see you back with us. I, too, have thought of you now and then.

Still praying for our Melinda.
    ME

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

This is our line up for the remainder of this year.

MAY - Mellen (Flowers from the April Showers)
    JUNE - Shirley
    JULY - Carol (Christmas in July)
    AUGUST - Sue N (Ice cream social)
    SEPTEMBER - Maryanne (Divide & Conquer swap)
    OCTOBER - April (Boo-tiful Bulbs)
    NOVEMBER - Melinda
    DECEMBER - Jeanne (sandlapper_rose

I hope everyone has had a glorious Easter Sunday. God is good all the time and in him is hope. Thank you Lord Jesus.

Melinda - Thinking of you today and hope each day is getting a little better.

Em - Glad you have your plants planted and hope they all do well for you.

Jeanne- How wonderful you got to spend that amount of time with the boys. They grow up so fast enjoy every second. Need more pictures.

Margaret - What a nice surprise to see your post, welcome back. Happy Easter to you and your family.

My plant sale went great and now I am getting ready for our Garden Clubs plant sale this Saturday. I have so much on my plate I don't know if I am coming or going. Come Winter I always wish I was playing in the dirt so I guess
    I should enjoy it when it's here. Hopefully I can join the Farmers Market group soon. I need to divide and sell alot of plants.

Shirley

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    sorry it took me a wile to post, I got my box on sat.
    rose sent me
    monardas pink and purple
    2 monkshood one bi-color
    limium hermans pride
    pink hellebore seedlings( packed very well. seemed to have traved well)
    hardy geranium

great box thank you very much, I have never had the monkshood, I look forward to growing them. I finnished my nursry bed friday so they have a nice spot to recover and get going.

thanks bunches
    michelle

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Treasa, I know what you mean about the snow, we had some not too long ago, and after temps in the 70s a few days before. It's great that you sing at church, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, lol. And how in the world do you find time to raise chickens and sell at the Farmer's Market on top of working? Don't worry about the box, whenever you get around to it is fine.

Maryellen, sorry to hear about your car. My van died about a month ago, had almost 200,000 miles on it. I now have a Honda Civic, it gets 30 MPG average, so it is a lot better on gas than my van was. Even though I didn't want a car payment, it gets to the point that you spend more than that on repairs and maintenance, etc. My husband is a retired mechanic of 35 years. He recommends Hondas or Toyotas for good gas mileage, dependability and longevity. My son works at a Ford dealership and has told me that the Ford Focus, which has great gas mileage, has transmission problems. I was going to get a Focus, but I decided on the Honda for it's good track record for reliability. I couldn't be happier, except it is a little hard to get used to a smaller vehicle when you're used to driving a van.

Shirley, thanks for posting the hosting list for the remainder of the year. They all look like they will be fun, and I look forward to hosting the Ice Cream Social in August. You're a busy lady too with all those sales. I know you'll do great. In the future I hope to be able to sell plants at our local flea market. I have never done so before, but before you know it I'll have daylilies and iris coming out of my ears, lol.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Melinda.

Nice boxes are going around, and they are all so different. Many plants for the shade that I haven't grown. It's nice to read all the posts.

Hope you all had a good Easter. I am off of work today and just had an allergy test this morning recommended by my ENT. Luckily, I am only moderately allergic to cats, molds and grasses and two kinds of trees. I am doing much better than when I was tested 30 plus years ago and my parents were going to put me in a glass bubble, lol!

Talk to you later.

Sue N.

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Everything is still crazy here so of course I am behind still. I will have my box in the mail by Thursday. I should have anyway. I will post DC# when I get it mailed.
    Sorry for being late.
    I think being late is coming naturally to me.
    Faye!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hi Faye, glad you are ok. Hope things are getting a little better for you.

Hoping Melinda is recovering well at home. Has anyone heard anything from her?

Rose, if you are still taking guesses on the daylilies sprouted, I will guess 1,999. I hope for your sake, that I guesses too high, lol.

Have a good day everyone.

Sue N.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi everyone! sorry i've been such a slacker. between upcoming finals, the new job, my daughter's end of semester activities, the new house, and all the other crap, this has been a crazy week!

i hope everyone is well! sue, you're in time on you guess. anyone else who wants to submit a guess, you have until sunday!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

melindas daughter has been posting updates on facebook.
    she has good days and bad days, but healing takes time.

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Wow, the guesses were too low? Oh, My. LoL!!
    I'll guess 873.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i know!!! i am going to be digging all the livelong day all summer long to get those seedlings in the ground. and what did i do today? bought 20 flipping more daylily seeds. i have a serious serious problem ladies LOL. i figure it's the dayily diet-- each dollar i spend on seeds is money i can't spend on chocolate!

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Sue-Yes the more you trade and buy the bigger your plant inventory gets.

I'll guess 808..Rose you addict you. LOL

We had terrible storms here last night. The tornados that devastated Alabama almost reached here. Two touched down in Mountain City Georgia which is 25 minutes from here. I'm so sorry for all the families that lost their life, loved ones & their homes. I have never had 911 call our home and tell you to find shelter. It was really scary. Lucky for us after we built our home we dug out a half basement so it really is in the ground. My Dear Dad dug all the dirt out and rolled it out in a wheel barrel.

Melinda - Thinking of you today.

Shirley

• veeja11
    12 years ago

Hi all hoping to sign up for may swap, my son the truck driver, picked up an 11 lb snoodle in new mexico, where my daughters boyfriend had plans to tie it out for the winter in the back yard, he has tried to keep her as a travel companion but even with pills she gets car sick, so guess who gets her. took her for all shots a chip and a spay, paid extra because she was with puppies, not my fault only had her 4 days, son says he has no idea when or how. many years ago we had a greatdane break out our front window and drag our lil snoodle out for sex, so since we have no idea who got this one the puppy size could have killed her, so all is for the best. I have a jack named tiyli, daughter left me a lab mix named kobe, son left sophie who is now tisha, grandson left a turtle named zippy, could be worse could be grandchildren any way here is a sedated tisha

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

veeja i am in love with that dog!! adorable!!!

• veeja11
    12 years ago

Thankyou here she is awake, gonna get her ckipped as soon as she is healed

amore alert tisha

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Veeja, Tisha is so cute, I just love her! I know she's in good hands with you since everyone has left their pets for you to care for, or "adopt" shall we say? My sister has the same heart for animals you do, and she always has four or five dogs at a time, some transitory and some permanent. I remember how she used to always walk up to dogs as a child when we were walking to school. Some so large and ferocious looking, I thought she'd be eaten by them, lol. Being four years her elder, my mother always entrusted my younger sister to my care. Anyway, to make a long story short, all the animals loved her and she would pet and talk to them. Now we have such fond memories of those "good times" we had in our childhood and I affectionately call her "Dr. DoLittle" everytime she takes in another stray.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Sue N.

• sguanzon
    12 years ago

Mavis, so sorry being late getting your box out. You should receive it on Monday hope you like!

Sue G.

• mavis07
    12 years ago

No problem Sue G. Thanks!
    Mavis

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Hi Sue,

I received my box today but couldn't open it before work! I'll got through it tonight when I get home from work. It is a biiggggg heavvvvy box folks! I can't wait to get into it!

Thanks again!

Mavis

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, sue, you are just a good guesser because you won again!! her guess was 1999 and my grand total was 1797, heaven help me LOL i am waiting on a delivery so i can get your prizes mailed out to you-- hopefully by monday :)

thank you everyone for playing!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Wow, I can't believe it! That never happens, lol! I am going through gardening withdrawl too. Trying to garden during the rain is tough since everything is so muddy and it's hard on the basck moving things around. The updside is no transplant shock. Some of my plants really took off this year too. I have fulda glow sedum that really spread all over this year. Of course, it is supposed to since it is a groundcover, lol. Hope it gets a little warmer soon, feels like March out there.

Sue N.

• mavis07
    12 years ago

I received a great box from Sue G! It had columbine, impatiens and more! There was a pretty birdhouse to add to my collection! A seed starting tray, plant marker and a garden wind chime as well as garden gloves. Thanks again for a great box Sue!

Mavis07