Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: april - fotess activity

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 18:36

FOTESS April Activity - Flat Farmer McGregor

You must be a member of FOTESS in order to participate. This stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. If you want more information, please get in touch with me or Shirley.

Our April Activity:
Many of you have probably heard of or had your children participate in Flat Stanley. That involves school children mailing a 2 dimensional Flat Stanley to other locations and tracking his travels on a map. It's based on a 1964 children's book written by Jeff Brown. A summary: Stanley Lambchop and his younger brother Arthur are given a big bulletin board by their father to display pictures and posters. He hangs it on the wall over Stanley's bed. During the night the board falls from the wall, flattening Stanley in his sleep. He survives and makes the best of his altered state. One special advantage is that Flat Stanley can now visit his friends by being mailed in an envelope.

We will be doing our own version of this and it will be Flat Farmer McGregor (from the Peter Rabbit stories) who will come to visit you if you sign up. I'm posting this early because I want his travels to begin on April 1. Please sign up by the end of the day March 27 so I will have time to get the list together, etc.

If you want to participate, here's what you will need to do.

1. Post on our board when you receive Flat McGregor.

2. Within 2 - 3 days, sign the card that is in the envelope with your name, city, and state... and while Flat McGregor is visiting you take a picture of him in your graden or with your seed stash or however you like. Those who can post on the internet, please post the picture for us. You can be in it if you like, but it's not required. Then - also within those 2 -3 days - mail Flat McGregor to the next person on the list. (The list with names and addresses and the order in which to mail Flat McGregor will be included in the envelope. You will leave the card and list in the envelope to travel to the next person. Don't tell who receives him next. We want it to be a surprise.)

3. Post to the board that you have mailed Flat McGregor.

That's it. Fun but simple. There is nothing to send in terms of a gift or surpise - just Flat McGregor, the card, and the list. You probably will need to supply a new envelope. I'm going to make sure he fits in a size 8 x 10" or smaller. I'll let you know the size when I first mail him so you can have the right size on hand. It will be interesting to see how he looks. I'm no artist!

I am going to jump ahead one more time. I'm hostess for the swap in June and I would like to have a plant and cutting swap. You will send to one person like usual, but if you have plants to divide or want to try to root some cuttings for the swap, I thought I would give you advanced notice. Unrooted cuttings will be fine, too. We will need to mail priority for that swap and mail early in the week so the box doesn't have a delayed delivery. I'm looking forward to that one, too, but we won't begin signing up until I post the June swap.)

Let's start with me!
Happy First Day of Spring to all in FOTESS.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: april - fotess activity

Love the idea Jeanne, sign me up! Sounds like FUN!

Jayeanne

o

Sounds fun! Add me, please.

o

I'm in. Great idea and so easy. Thanks

Margo

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 7:13

Great idea, Jeanne, I'm in!
Shirley!

o

I'm going to pass, but it will be fun to see the photos... great idea Jeanne! I'm hosting the OBF swap in April, so I'll be a busy bee.

o

Jeanne,

I love it.....I am in!!!

Annie

o

Sign me up as well... I received Flat Stanley from my cousin's son. Stanley was able to visit the Air Force Academy, hiked up to Pikes Peak and went horseback riding with my niece who dressed (colored) him appropriately in jeans and cowboy boots.

Love the idea

o

So happy to see the sign ups!
Vegpath, I sent you information about joining the group.

Jeanne

o

It might be time to test out our Pony Express Mail out here! I'm in!
Heidi

o

Flat Farmer McGregor will be visiting:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Alana (poisondartfrog)
Margo (smitties)
Shirley (sjc40)
Annie (canyonwind)
Heidi (xiangirl)

You're right, Heidi, this idea will be checking out the post office (pony express). Some of our first class mail last month took 2 weeks to reach it's destination. Sure hope McGregor doesn't get in the mail bag of that slow pony!
Anyway, if it happens, we'll just keep going until he completes all of his rounds.

Waiting to see if vegpath decides to join. For our members, still time to sign up! Have a great weekend.

Jeanne

o

I'm in on this one. Sounds like a lot of fun!

o

I need to pass but will check in to see where Mc is from time to time.
Sounds like fun but there is a lot happening in April.

o

We want to welcome Christine (vegpatch) to FOTESS. Christine, I hope you enjoy this group as much as we do!

Added to the Flat McGregor list:
Christine (vegpatch)
Sharon (toomanyanimals)

Jeanne

o

Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 20:13

Welcome to Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps, Christine!
Nice to have you with us, and just in time for Flat McGregor, which should really be fun! I am already thinking of places here in Monroe that I could take a good picture of him.
Could you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Shirley!

o

Jeanne-I would love to sign up for this one. You know this was so interesting, I have never heard the story of Flat McGregor. Just goes to show no matter how old you are you have not heard everything yet.

Shirley

o

We're also welcoming brittneysgran (Shirley) to the group. So glad to have you sign up.

Flat Farmer McGregor will be visiting:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Alana (poisondartfrog)
Margo (smitties)
Shirley (sjc40)
Annie (canyonwind)
Heidi (xiangirl)
Christine (vegpatch)
Sharon (toomanyanimals)
Shirley (brittneysgran)

What a great turn out... and who knows, there may be more.

Jeanne

o

Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 21:57

Shirley, welcome to the group! Great to have you joining in! I had never heard of Flat Stanley/McGregor either, can't wait to see where he goes and what he does while he's there!

Shirley, I know some of our other members know you from other swaps, but some of us don't, so when you have time, please tell us something about yourself!

Two new members! How great is that? Welcome to both of you!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:24

Hi FOTESS-ettes,
Please sign me up! I've been MIA for the past 2 swaps... super busy these days. But hey, I can never complain about being bored. I think the last time I was bored, I was in middle school.

Wow, 2 new members? That's great. Welcome to FOTESS, Christine and Shirley! I look forward to getting to know you via this great group of ladies.

Among a million other things, I've been busy in the garden. Got 2 years worth of compost in 2 bins that each measure 64 cu ft spread over the gardens and tilled in, and will be trying some vertical gardening with squash and pumpkins that vine everywhere.

o

Welcome new members! It wasn't that long ago that I was the newbie. I'd love to join this one - it seems pretty simple too.

Mandy

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 0:17

This is different and fun. Sign me up please.

o

Please sign me up also! Welcome to all newbies. I love the garden area kchd! What a great idea! I did that once with climbing flowers, but never thought about the things in the garden!
Have a great day everyone! Melinda
Shirley, I hadn't heard of Flat Stanlley/McGregor either! LOL!

o

If it isn't too late, I'd be happy to show Mr. McGregor around the homeplace.

o

Wow, FFMc is really going to travel in April!!!!

Kc, I'm very impressed with your vertical garden. How tall are the wire fences?
YOu will have to show us pictures as the plants progress.
How do you ever keep the bunnies out of the garden?

Christine and Shirley, Welcome!

sharon

o

Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 22:57

Melinda, I am sure that I will also try this trellis system with native flowering vines, too. Crossvine, pipevine, passionflower, clematis, climbing aster, and native honeysuckles are all on the list :)

Sharon, the cattle panels are 16 ft long, so bent over they are about 7 ft tall. I made the 2 ends sitting on the ground 3 ft apart. I was aiming for as much height as possible while still being able to walk between them. That is, until the vines form an impenetrable jungle. We don't seem to have too much trouble with rabbits or deer, but racoons wreaked major havoc on my corn last year. (I have now instituted a "No Racoons Allowed" policy with strict enforcement.) I will post pics of vertical progress and make notes for what works and what I wish I had done differently. I love these grand gardening experiments.

Katie

o

Welcome to those who posted since I listed the April names. The more the merrier! I'll update everything tomorrow. My husband and I traveled up to NC to visit our new granddaughter for a few days so just now getting home. Rain just about all the way there and rain just about all the way back. It's unusually cold, too. We'll have night time temperatures below freezing several times this week. Will have to see how the plants fare. Almost everything is leafed out by now.
I like your planting system, Katie! I hope you have great success.
Jeanne

o

Thanks for the warm welcome, so many ladies I know from the OBF group.

Can't believe this winter weather we are having here. It's blowing snow and so cold. I have peonies up 6-8 inches so we covered them up.

Shirley I would be glad to share something about myself with the group.

As a lot of you know I am a member of the OBF group here on garden web. I am married and this July 4th will mark our 45th anniversary. We have two children, Sheila the eldest and Steve the youngest. We have two grandchildren
Brittney and Dawson. We are so fortunate that they live beside us. Brittney got married last May and I told her when she has a baby is when I am retiring. Dawson is Brittney's little brother, he was a surprise to his Mom and Dad and what a wonderful surprise. He is 9 years old and plays base ball and basketball.

I am a plant alcoholic and want every plant that I do not already have. Irises and daylilies are a real passion of mine. At last inventory I had 700 daylilies.

I work for a Company that makes Hard Wood Flooring. I have been with the Co. 32 years. I am in the purchasing Dept. Looking forward to retirement someday so I can play in the dirt all the time.

Shirley

o

Welcome to the new members! It's going to be fun to see where FF McGregor's adventures take him.

o

Can't wait to see the Before and After Trellis pictures.
I was reading a garden article and they listed temperennials. I'm assuming that means a tender perennial that comes back for a few years and then it's gone. I had never heard/read that term before. Or maybe they are perennials in other zones, but in my zone 4/5 they are annuals. Made that mistake one year.Just because it's marked perennial doesn't mean it's perennial at my house. It was only perennial in Florida!
Have any of you heard the term?
Heidi

o

Shirley and Christine...WELCOME, WELCOME!

Katie, your vertical trellises...great idea! I never even thought of growing pumpkins "up" and then "down".

Heidi, my understanding of a temperennial......a plant that is perennial/hardy in tropical climates (zones 7 and above) but is an annual in the Northern climates. Anybody...correct me if I am wrong on this.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

One more day to sign up!

Here's our current list:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Alana (poisondartfrog)
Margo (smitties)
Shirley (sjc40)
Annie (canyonwind)
Heidi (xiangirl)
Christine (vegpatch)
Sharon (toomanyanimals)
Shirley (brittneysgran)
Katie (kchd)
Mandy (l1oness)
Ruth (ruthz)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Peggy (canfan)

I love all the participation we have for this one!
Good night from the rather chilly South.
Jeanne

o

I'd be glad to show Flat McGreger around this part of Ohio if it is not too late to sign up.

Welcome to our new members Shirley and Christine!!

Katie I like those cattle panels, do you have them staked or just pushed in the ground.

o

We had the most beautiful rain about 6 a.m. By 8:30 we had snowflakes the size of silver dollars-not kidding. They clumped together, swirled around until **Splat** they hit a hard surface and disintegrated into a watery blob. Perfect for soaking into the ground. Then the snowflakes became more ferocious. They got smaller and started stacking up. The roads were messy and slick. Now it's 3 p.m., all precipitation is gone and the winds are howling, trying to evaporate every drop of snowrain we had. We're so glad to get moisture. Beggars can't be choosers.
We're going to sing, "I'm Dreaming Of A White Easter" soon!
Heidi in Nebraska

o

Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 11:53

Happy Saturday, Everyone!
Heidi, hope you are still getting all the rain/moisture that is needed! Loved the description!
Well, Jeanne is probably busy getting Flat McGregor ready to go! Can't wait to see where all he will end up!
Have a great weekend,
Shirley!

o

Here's our final list. What great participation! I'm excited to see where Farmer McGregor goes and his pictures as he travels!

Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Alana (poisondartfrog)
Margo (smitties)
Shirley (sjc40)
Annie (canyonwind)
Heidi (xiangirl)
Christine (vegpatch)
Sharon (toomanyanimals)
Shirley (brittneysgran)
Katie (kchd)
Mandy (l1oness)
Ruth (ruthz)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Peggy (canfan)
Suzanne (hibiscusfan)

Shirley, you were being optimistic about me getting Farmer McGregor ready to travel yesterday - I am usually such a last minute person - but I will be doing that later today and tomorrow. Yesterday was my birthday and I was trying to do lots of my favoirte things like work in the garden, work on a quilt, etc. I didn't get all the way through the list, but had a good day anyway. My winter sowing jugs are nearly all spouted and I planted a few more. My peas, radishes, etc. that I put the ground a few weeks ago are coming along well. I love Spring!

My husband gave me several wonderful gifts, but one is a ceramic piece that looks like a rock and it has Eeyore and the saying, "Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them!" So cute. I hadn't heard that one before.

Will talk with everyone soon. Now that I have all who have signed up, I can plan a sequence for Flat McGregor as he travels. Happy Sunday!

Jeanne

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:03

Happy Belated Birthday, Jeanne! I'm glad you got to do your "favorite" things!

I, on the other hand, got to do grocery shopping and cleaning/organizing/clearing out that small bedroom. What a chore! And why do I let it get into that much of a mess? AGGGHHH!!!

I have just the beginnings of sprouts in my WS jugs. My daughter did two WS jugs, her first ever, this year, and she has sprouts! She is thrilled! She WSed Pansies. I know she didn't think WSing would work, as she is very, very new to gardening. I am so pleased for her!

Happy Sunday,
Shirley!

o

Flat McGregor is almost ready to travel. Leaving from here, he will fit in a 9 x 12" envelope. Mine is not padded. If you have a padded envelope, it might need to be a bit larger to allow for the information to fit inside. Everything is sized 8 1/2" x 11".

Now who will he see first?

Jeanne

o

Flat McGregor is getting ready to go on a long journey.....looking forward to meeting you Flat!!! Happy travels!

Jeanne, Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!!!

Enjoy your Monday!!

Annie

o

No sprouts in my jugs. I've been watching them this year to make sure they stayed hydrated. Yesterday it was 75 deg. Today it's 40 deg., we've got 50-60 mph winds from the northwest and snow is supposed to be on it's way. A friend told me that some vitamins for flowers can only arrive by snow (naturally, not chemically). So the snow is welcome as long as it doesn't freeze any of my babies. I've got one peony shoot up about 1". It better wait a little bit! Can't wait for FFFM (friends forever flat McGregor). lol
Heidi

o

Hello everyone... thank you for the warm welcome...even if they came from chillier areas. :^) Colorado has been quite temperate... though we have been getting those high winds as well Heidi. :^) I am trying wintersowing for the first time and have sprouts coming up (there's hope for me yet..). Bok Choi is about 2" , the Borage has sprouted as well as some greens.
I am single with no kids, Army veteran. I live vicariously through my brother's family (my niece is our parents only grand-child(not by choice).
Trying to grow anything in Colorado has become a experimental project of sorts, between the short growing season hail and who knows what kind of weather on any given day... blizzards in June and August.
I/we (the plants) shall prevail though ;^)
I too am a plant aholic... are there support groups for this??? lol

Happy Happy Birthday Jeanne Best Wishes

o

Rats! So sorry I missed this one :( We've been out of town for 9 days and I come back to Flat Stanley!! My kids love him.

Taylor read and made Flat Stanley in Kindergarten and Billy is making one next month. They are so cute!

Katie! I so envious of your beautiful garden right now. As I look out my patio doors, I see snow, a some patches of brown grass and a LOT of flooding. It's going to take few days of good temps to change the YUCK going on in my yard right now. Even my pond is still frozen :( I have so many ideas floating around in my head for this year that I started writing them down, lol.

My one big plan is to get a couple bales of barley straw to control the algae in the pond. Not to sink them all the way but use the tops sticking out of the water as a planter for annuals. The frogs will have a place to hang out where they won't be constantly stalked by my two little ones :) Hope it works!

Talk to you later!
vina

ps. WELCOME our newest MEMBERS :D

o

Vina,
You caught me in time. The envelope is still here and I will adjust the mailing list before I take it into town. I want to be sure Taylor and Billy get a visit!

Heidi has offered to make a map for us as Flat McGregor travels so this will be even more fun. I sure had maps pulled out last night looking for where in each state you live. It was interesting!

I added a short note in with Flat McGregor that it might be a good idea to pay for the tracking number when you mail him. The post office has been know to have things "sit" or send them in roundabout ways. If you forget that's okay, but let's try to do that.

Okay... off to adjust the list and then off he goes!
Happy April Fool's Day!

Jeanne

o

Vina, my husband tried the barley bales for our pond but they sunk and the ropes broke so he was unable to remove them at the end of the season. Now he uses barley pellets. You just walk around the pond and toss them in. It seems to work pretty good. Our pond is 1/3 of an acre and we want it to stay as clean as possible. We also have white amur fish which are bottom feeders. They do not reproduce and stay to the bottom of the pond and eat the unwanted vegetation. They are big eaters and grow fast. These have worked out great too.

The weather has become warmer the last three days but too windy to do any early garden cleaning. Walked around the gardens today and lots of bulbs are coming up. Anxiously awaiting the first crocus.

Margo

o

Yeah! I'm in :) Thanks Jeanne :)

Margo, our pond isn't really deep on one end. Only about 3ft. then like a pool it goes down to about 5-6ft. We have quite of few fish in their, none of them eat anything but each other and the frogs, lol.

I'm still waiting for some snow crocus' too...

vina :)

o

Here's our new list and Flat McGregor is on his way!

Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Alana (poisondartfrog)
Margo (smitties)
Shirley (sjc40)
Annie (canyonwind)
Heidi (xiangirl)
Christine (vegpatch)
Sharon (toomanyanimals)
Shirley (brittneysgran)
Katie (kchd)
Mandy (l1oness)
Ruth (ruthz)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Peggy (canfan)
Suzanne (hibiscusfan)
Vina (flowergirl34)

Scrap what I said about delivery confirmation. I found out you cannot get it on first class mail and it makes no sense to send this out in a more expensive way as a package when it's a perfectly fine first class envelope. If he gets lost (and I sure hope not), I will print out another one and send it out to the next person who is to receive him. Someone may want to re-write the little note in the envelope to reflect that. Thanks! I'm always learning new things about post office regulations.

I'll be waiting to see someone post that Flat McGregor has arrived to visit you... he should arrive before the end of the week. (I doubt we'll finish by the end of April, but that's okay... just keep him traveling!)

The picture is of one of my birthday presents. I love Eeyore and love the saying, too. I thought you would enjoy the picture.

Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 16:30

o

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to Ruth!
Have a wonderful day and a fantastic year ahead.

Jeanne

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

o

I sure hope Flat McGregor is a seasoned traveler, if not he will be by the end of this activity.

Happy Belated Birthday Ruth.!

Still waiting for my crocus to bloom too.

Heidi, what a beautiful description of the beginning of your snowfall .... what came after didn't sound too wonderful. :o(
But glad you are getting precipitation.
sharon

o

Happy Belated BD to Ruth and Jeanne! Welcome to new members!
I bet someone gets Flat Farmer McGregor today! I'm so excited about this, as I'd never heard that story before.
I live in Arkansas ,(for the new ones), I have shade and sun gardens! I have 4 grandchildren, 3 boys and 1 girl who is fixing to go to college this coming year. My oldest grandson has been in hospital now for 10 days after 3 surgeries the first 5 days. We transferred him to a larger hospital and he is coming along, but slower than we thought, but he's been through a lot! And my youngest grandson is just now doing his first week of school in over 6 weeks! Yeah! Thanks to all who prayed and God!
I love all things plant like!! I love daylilies, iris, hosta-my favs. Also ferns, shade garden things. Love the new coneflowers also! And the old! I also love native plants and have a lot of things like that!
I got started in gardenweb due to my mother, MargeC. She passed away in 2006, due to complications from breast cancer. I still miss her daily. I am not married, don't date, my husband passed in 1999 due to cancer also. My gardening is my therapy. My mother taught me how to wintersow and I do that yearly also. I am going to go see if I have sprouts soon! Love it when see those little green things! Well, that's enough about me!
Maybe someone needs to get a new list or questionnaire going with all the members and new members on it! Hint! I would but not smart enough to do it!
Have a great day all! Can't wait until he gets here!
Melinda

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 10:18

Thanks for the birthday wishes, and Happy Belated Birthday, Jeanne.
Prayers for your grandsons Melinda.
Welcome to our new members.

o

GardenWeb was not behaving earlier... it just didn't want to let me log in... but here I am now.
Melinda, so glad to hear an update on your grandson. He is certainly having a rough time of it. I continue to keep him in my prayers.
I updated the membership list when the more recent members joined. I'll try to e-mail it to everyone soon. The thing I need to do is to update the group list in my e-mail ... and space things so each person's information stays on one page. It sometimes jumps to the next page when I add. I think I can manage that some time soon.
There are lots of gardening activities in this area in April and May. I will try to remember to post about what I attend. I'm sure some of you have special gardening events for Spring, too. Keep us posted! Share a photo of the event if you take a picture.

We are all waiting for the first arrival of Mr. Flat McGregor! I took a picture of him here in my pansies, but I am not going to post it until he gets to surprise someone and be revealed by them!

Enjoy the day!
Jeanne

o

Melinda, prayers for Austin and continued prayers for Stoney. I am so happy he is back in school.

Ruth, belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes!!!!

Flat, happy travels....be safe!

Happy Thursday!!

Annie

o

Guess who received Flat Farmer McGregor.....ME

He has been so busy trying to catch Peter Cottontail while I showed him around my gardens. I have some pictures below.

I finally stuffed both of them back in the envelope so I could get some much needed rest and have them on their way to another destination. Please be careful upon opening the envelope so Peter can get a head start on hiding from Flat Farmer McGregor.

photo 016_zps78ba47b6.jpg

photo 007_zpsf6f67fa2.jpg
Here a little black bear who has just come out of hibernation tells Peter Rabbit to hide in the tree stump.
 photo 014_zpsf6284eb6.jpg
Zeuss is looking for Peter Rabbit a place to hide but came up with nothing.
 photo 019_zps32392277.jpg

Shirley

o

So glad he reached you, Shirley. Really nice pictures. I love your trees that are in bloom.
Hmmm.... he didn't travel very quickly from SC to NC. We'll see how the next leg of his trip goes.
Here is a picture of Farmer McGregor in my hanging pansy basket before he left for Shirley's house.
Have a good weekend, everyone.
Jeanne

o

Yeah, he's on his way! And I too love the pics of him with Shirley! Love the new bed you are making also Shirley! Gonna be so cute!
Love the basket of pansies, so cheerful!
Well, who is next? Can't wait!
Have a good day all! Melinda

o

Shirley, what a beautiful yard and wonderful view you have around you. I am very envious. Here we just have flat farm land around us with very few trees anywhere near by.

Looking forward to seeing where Farmer McGregor will be next.
He best be careful when he gets here cause he could get blown away wandering my gardens. LOL
Margo

o

photo Aprilmap1_zpsd5578337.jpg
Short but sweet,
Who next will McGregor meet?

o

Shirley your yard is so beautiful. So many trees and plants already blooming...just lovely! Perfect 1st stop :)

o

Heidi, I got a chuckle from your poem and the map.
Annie, love the 'flat happy travels' saying!
Jeanne, nice close up picture of McGregor in your pansies

Shirley, Love your pics! So beautiful; the trees, the rolling hills, the young woman in the photos. I like the story line too about keeping McGregor away from peter cottontail.
And look at you in short sleeves ... I refuse to give up my winter coat till it gets above 50 degrees here. LOL

sharon

o

Great job on the map, Heidi! This will make Flat McGregor's travels even more fun.
I hope everyone had a good weekend. There was an Herb Festival in town so we went to that on Saturday for just a little while. I came home with 2 types of scented geraniums, lavender, peppermint, and 2 spagehtti squash plants. Our weather changed from very beautiful, warm, sunny days to clouds, cooler, and rain today. That's okay. Maybe it will get the pollen out of the air. It's bad this year.
I'll come up with a game for us as we wait for McGregor to move from place to place. Give me a few days to think of one!
Enjoy the week.
Jeanne

o

Flat certainly made the rounds at Shirleys home!! Love it!

Beautiful weather....90's today! Hopefully, it is Margarita weather when Flat arrives....Flat might be able to use a nice stiff one after his travels. But on the another hand, he might enjoy some Whiskey or a cold brew. Whatever Flat wants...Flat will get!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Annie, it sounds like Flat McGregor will have a good time at your house!
Despite the rain here today, the temperature is pretty good and I usually plant my winter sowing jugs in the garage so I did a bit of that. Soon it will be too hot to continue with the milk jugs so these may be the last. I think my total was about 57 this year. Not as many as usual, but that's all I could manage. I planted basil in containers today. I had 10 kinds of basil - kind of amazing! Lemon, Lime, Sweet, Lettuce Leaf, Thai, Red Rubin, Geneovese, Greek Spicy Globe, Italian Pesto, and Mrs. Burns. Some I haven't tried before, but basil tends to be a good thing for me to plant. It seems to like our hot, sunny summers.
I also noticed the mosquitoes were not flying around in the garage today. Hooray! It didn't take them long to show up once we got a few warm days.
Well, that's all for now. Almost time to start cooking dinner.
Jeanne

o

It rained a half an inch last night! The water got to soak in nice and easy for those daffodils.
I worked on some park flower beds this weekend. Those dandelions look so healthy! I was pulling them up and trying to get all the root. Also pulling up some kind of grass with horizontal roots like thick dental floss. I can see why you never get rid of it. It's taken over a couple flower beds that weren't touched for a decade. That grass believes it is king there, but I'm trying to dig out all of those strands. Also found a centipede, a wasp (it only wanted to walk) and boxelder bug!
I had extra seeds so my mom's preschool kids planted them in cups in the house. They all have something sprouting and the kids are so excited. It's so exciting to infect someone with such a fun addiction--seeds and plants! ha
I have one yellow daffodil head, but it's not open. It's so hard to be patient!
Heidi

o

Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:33

Shirley, how beautiful those trees are! What kind are they? Looks like Flat had a good time at your house, but I have to agree with Sharon: the further north he comes, the colder its going to be. We will have a heat wave during the middle of the week, with the temps dropping again for the weekend - bummer!

Can't wait to see where Flat ends up at next! This is fun!
Have a great Tuesday,
Shirley!

o

Mailed Flat McGregor Saturday, was sure hoping someone received today, hopefully tomorrow.

Sharon-Thanks, I do love where we live. Love getting to finally wear short sleeves..it's been a long winter.

Shirley-They are Bradford Pear trees and very popular here.

Melinda-I found some beautiful sedums at Lowe's to add to my flower bed so will post some more pictures when it is in full bloom.

Jeanne-I love herbs and want all I see. I would love to go to an herb festival.

Vina-Thank you I love Spring so much and love taking pictures.

Helleborus
 photo 004_zpsf5e30e6c.jpg

Tulips have now started to bloom:
 photo 009_zps2b891060.jpg

Shirley

o

Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 23:03

Hi there ladies! I have really been enjoying all the posts and photos. Nice pansies, Jeanne! Southern Shirley, your photos of your flowers are so great! The helleborus is stunning!

I've been potting up young plants like crazy lately, between the natives and the veggies. I've also been delighted to find sprouts in the flowerbeds of new additions that made it through the winter.

Heidi, I love your map. Can't wait to see where Flat shows up next.

New native bloom for me: Silene virginica

o

Good morning Ladies! We have also had lots of rain at my house and my hellebores are looking good also! I love all the beautiful pics also!
Was just thinking I hope Flat Farmer McGregor isn't my house next! I am out of town goofing off with my sister and then will goof off with my son and his wife and dgt. on the weekend! Won't be home until Monday! And now the weather is gorgeous and I keep thinking of all work I could do now that it isn't raining in my yard!
Well, hope everyone has a great day! Melinda

o

Good afternoon to all!

We have a technology center next to our high school and they have an annual plant sale. I never went before, but did that yesterday and they were beautiful plants and reasonably priced. I came home with a 4-pack of green bell peppers, two 4-packs of tomatoes (one is Celebrity, I'm not sure what the other is), 2 beautiful red geraniums, and another plant this has purple foliage. I'll have to look at the name again. We had a few days of rain which was nice because it cleaned a lot of the pollen out of the air.

I'm sorry to have been slow posting a game. I won't forget. However, like Shirley, I am worried that Flat McGregor is taking so long to get from place to place. I didn't want to do this too soon, but I think I am going to start a Flat #2 and he can begin at the end of the list and travel in the oppsite direction... once the two seem like they are going to meet up (based on the list I kept), we'll see what to do then. I don't know what's up with the post office. Sometimes they are speedy, sometimes they are not.

Heidi, can you manage this with the map? Maybe use one color line for Flat #1 and a different color for Flat #2? I don't want to keep everyone waiting forever for their visit. I can label Flat #2 so you will know if he is the one who arrives. If it says nothing about a number, you have Flat #1. I'll try to start Flat #2 on his way on Saturday.

Does anyone have exciting plans for Easter? Just me and my husband here, but we will enjoy the day regardless. I hope the grandchildren get to enjoy Easter. Miranda is a bit too little to know what is going on, but the triplets will have fun. They all have ear infections right now. They get sick a lot since they started pre-school. I guess it just takes awhile for the immune sysptem to kick in and avoid all those germs.

Jeanne

o

Guess who showed up today! Flat Farmer McGregor.....fun fun fun! Found him hiding out with our newly one week old kittens, LOL

Its still cold and chilly here and not much going on around the gardens...bulbs are just now starting to poke their heads... Flat Farmer McGregor Is ready to take a coffee break but is headed back out tomorrow morning...

Jayeanne

o

Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 21:35

Pink, wish I had room for the kittens, what dear wee cats they are!
If Flat gets here next, all he will see blooming are the crocus's, but that's okay, I'll take him down on the river with the ducks or the osprey, well, maybe we'll skip the osprey! He'd probably fly off with Flat and then where would we be?!
All of a sudden, my WS jugs are sprouting like crazy. I have petunias, pansies, flat topped asters, hoary mountain mint, hardy geraniums, Echinacea and lots of others! Must be all this heat we're having. They're saying it will be warm until Monday, YES!!! Altho I'm working outside this weekend no matter what!
Jeanne, sounds like a good game plan, I'm sure we can keep it all straight!
Shirley, those are beautiful flowers!
Katie, I planted White Silene. Hoping no one asks why.
Bedtime,
Shirley!

o

Awwww Jayanne, that is the cutest picture ever!
Flat McGregor is really smiling even if he isn't showing it.

Shirley, Crocus finally started blooming here too, just 2 days ago along with Chionodoxa lucilae, and blue scilla..
Great to hear your WS jugs are doing well.

So Jeanne, does this mean that Flat McGregor has an identical twin? Or is he still Flat McGregor but just from a different universe (twilight zone music playing here).LOL
Off to work
Sharon

o

Okay Shirley, why did you plant white Silene?

o

Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 8:26

I can't remember, Alana, this is getting bad. I KNOW I had a reason.
If, by the time it comes to get them in the ground, I still haven't figured it out, I'm going to trade/give them all away.
White doesn't attract hummers, does it?
Shirley!

o

photo Aprilmap2_zps97adc7da.jpg
Oh he landed in a wee tiny state
To snuggle with kitties, what a wonderful fate.
Where next, Old Man McGregor?
Whisper it to us...we're a beggin'!

o

Great job on the map, Heidi, and I love the poetry!
Such cute little kittens, Jayeanne. Luckily they can't see Flat McGregor hovering over them or they would be scared like Peter Rabbit was.

Flat Farmer McGregor #2 should be ready to travel tomorrow. As we get towards the middle of the list (about 6-7 people in for each McGregor), we may have to alter the travel plans a bit, but I think it's still best to have 2 traveling so we are not still doing this in July! LOL

Someone on GardenWeb gave me these pretty daffodil bulbs. I can't remember who it was, but they are gorgeous! Even my husband has been commenting on them.

Oh, I sent out an updated membership list by e-mail so if you don't receive it or can't open it, let me know.

I have a game planned, but things seem to be so hectic here. I worked on getting some of my wintersowing plants out of their jugs today. Soon it will be way too warm for them in there. I'll get the game posted as soon as I can.

Jeanne

o

Okay, FOTESS friends, I got my act together and created the game, too. Here's what you will do: e-mail your answers to me by the Saturday before Easter (April 19). If there is a tie, I will draw a name from those who are tied to determine the winner.

Famous Rabbits: I created a list of 25 rabbits known for something in literature, songs, movies, advertising, etc.
Send me your list of the 25 names (or even fewer) that you think are on my list. The members who match all of them - or if that doesn't happen, the members who match the most will either be the winner or in the drawing for the winner.

Good luck!
Remember send them to me by e-mail.
That way everyone has an equal chance to think of them on their own.
A prize for the winner!

Jeanne

o

LOL, Shirley, I thought you had some arcane reason for growing white Silene that you wanted to be coaxed to reveal. I can be obtuse in the extreme.
White is my favorite flower color and I grow a couple of white Silene species just because I like them :D.

All of the photos are fun to see, and Heidi, your map makes it fun to watch ole' FFM travels.

I sent my famous rabbits already Jeanne. I may not get time again before the deadline.

Hope everyone is well and that gardens are burgeoning with renewal.
Alana

o

Jeanne, I have the same daffodil! I received it in a trade also. I have a picture of it from 2006. The person who sent it didn't have a name for it either. But I love it! I've given bulbs to friends who always seem to choose it when they see my daff blooming. LOL
I need to take pics of my daffs blooming, their names and where they are in my garden..

Sharon

o

Here is another pic of the babies...sleeping with their mama =) thanks Shirley, Sharon and Jeanne wish I could give you all a baby! Love your daffs Jeanne they are beautiful! I sent Flat Farmer out Friday morning and I got a tracking on it if you want that #. Heidi very neat how you do the tracking!
Spent all day outside yesterday till about 8pm when the darkness chased me inside, tried to relax but was up till about 3:30 am with an aching back. I hope the sciatica doesnt decide to act up now... LOL
Have a great weekend ladies our temps are around 70 so I am loving it! Enjoy!

Jayeanne

PS for some reason I am not getting the emails/messages to my email like before? any ideas? I havent changed any settings not sure if maybe things are being changed again or not.

o

Jeanne,

I received FOTESS membership info....mine is A-OK. Thanks for sending.

And I just emailed you my 25 bunny selections. Lots of named bunnies out their.....had no idea!!

And now Flats twin will be traveling the country....cool!

Happy Saturday! Hopefully, you are all frolicing outside in some nice weather, enjoying the dirt!

Annie

o

Flat Farmer McGregor #2 is now in the mail! Whether he leaves Lexington on Saturday or not, I don't know. The list that comes with him and the back of the picture indicate he is #2 so if you received him, post which one!

I was going to try to be in the picture I posted of Flat #2, but I was badly in need of a shower so I'll try to post one with me when Flat returns. You can see my beautiful azaleas behind Flat #2 though. I love this time of the year for the garden. The mid-summer heat is not so kind to us.

I have bunny names guessed by Annie and Alana so far. Both of you were really good at bunny names!

Jayeanne, that mother cat is so beautiful! No wonder those babies are so cute.

Well, time to water the seedlings I put out yesterday so that's all for now.

Jeanne

o

Hello FOTESS'ers! Thought I'd check in so you will know that I am waiting for a visit from Flat 1 or Flat 2. We are having a beautiful spring so I am anxiously awaiting his arrival so I can show him around some. We have lettuce and potatoes in the garden. Tomorrow we'll plant the peas. I was able to take a mini vacation to the Olympic Peninsula this past week with my niece and we had beautiful weather and fantastic scenery. I missed getting the Famous Rabbit's name game. If email info is needed, let me know. Hope spring has made it to everyone! Peggy

o

Jeanne-I really like that daffodil as well. My azaleas are almost to the extent of yours. They are so big I keep having to dig plants out from under them. I never seem to give plants enough growing room.

Jayeanne-Love the Momma cat and her babies. Our Son's Doberman had 8 puppies last week and I can't wait to go and see them.

Shirley

o

Rabbit humor for the day.
 photo recedinghareline_zps80d5feec.jpg

Photo of tulips in my tulip bed. Two bulbs were stacked on each other underground. As the bottom one started coming up the leaves 'stabbed' into the top bulb. I found it growing 6" above the ground. I have since removed it and planted it, but I had to show you my picture.
Tulip bulb on top of tulip leaves! Stab and grow! photo Tulipstabstulipbulb20140411_zpsf483fe3a.jpg
Heidi

o

Heidi - isn't it pretty amazing to see what a flower can do! I am starting to see flowers here, but now the weatherman is talking about snow again tomorrow night! I hope they are wrong.

I enjoyed the day today though - it was warm, sunny, and just a little breezy.

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 21:26

Mandy, sure hope your weatherman is wrong! I hadn't heard about snow, just rain. Oh, please, not again!!

It was a really great weekend here, weather was in the high 60s. Got all of my gardens/containers cleared out, cleaned up and ready to go! All my WS jugs are sprouting like crazy.

Loved the "hareline" joke, Heidi. And Jeanne, your azaleas are beautiful! And I loved, loved the Momcat/babies pic!

I have the next three days off, with lots of stuff planned. A much needed break! Talk to ya all soon!
Thought I'd share a pic of the first of my mini-daffs.
Shirley!

o

Love mini-daffodils. I have 2 bulbs of them. Your collection is looking much better, Shirley!

We now have 5 guessers on the list of 25 rabbit names:
Annie
Alana
Mandy
Suzanne
Heidi

Peggy, the rules about the game are posted above. I didn't send out an e-mail about them. Anyone who wants to play is to e-mail their list to me.

I can't believe how many rabbit names I have now - definitely more than 25 out there to be found! I hope we get a few more guessers.

Well, I need to try to clean a bit for Easter and then hope to work in the garden after it cools off. There may be rain ahead tomorrow so it's a good time to transplant. I was rather proud of myself. I think I have about 1/3 of my winter sowing jug plants either in the ground or in larger containers. That's pretty good for me by this time of the year.

Jeanne

o

Happy Monday!!

Got home a little while ago to check the mail...and who should be waiting for me but Farmer McGregor!

Good thing he showed up today! Its the best day of the week. We are due for heavy rain tomorrow and snow on Wednesday :(

Since I wanted to be a good hostess I immediately took farmer out to show him around...

He found the very first bloom in my garden. :)

o

Then he said he was tired and needed to rest down by the pond...

o

Then I took him inside to show him some of my tomatoes I'm growing this year...he is a Farmer, and seemed very interested :)

o

But the best blooms we could find were some daffodils blooming on my table :)

o

Our cat Kiwi watched all of this with utter indifference, lol!

o

Farmer McGregor will be traveling again in the morning :)

Who will he visit with next????

Happy Monday!!
vina :D

ps...very cute kittens and Doberman Puppies!! Please post pics of those cuties!!

o

PPS...
Just officially looked in my envie and wanted to thank JayeAnne for the adorable Easter Card!! Was so excited to show farmer around I never even looked in there, lol.

Happy Spring!!
vina

o

Following the farmers travels. I'm thinking this is a good time for a farmer to be away from home. The weather won't let him work in the fields right now anyway.
Happy Travels Farmer Mac

o

Vina, great pictures! You know I love your daffodils.Cute kitty, too.
(Wow, I think Farmer McGregor has speeded up... maybe with 2 of them we will finish by the end of the month.)
I've started cleaning house so things can be clean for Easter. With my ailments I haven't given the house a thorough cleaning for quite awhile and am still somewhat limited when it comes to bending, etc. - but it will look much better. Plus, I got out my box of Easter decorations so I will enjoy those, too.
Happy travels, Farmer McGregor!

Jeanne

o

I have my list made up but it's at home and I'm away visiting my son. I will get it to you tomorrow or Wednesday. It was fun recalling the many bunny names from the past. Margo

o

Will work on my bunny names as well.

Back to post more later.

Shirley

o

Jeanne, Thanks for straightening me out on the Bunny Name Game... just sent you an email with my list.

We are having a great spring... so far... Getting some yard work done (lots of pine needles to rake up) and a few dead branches to nip off from the bushes and Oregon grape. Potatoes and peas have been planted. I have also planted a couple of flower pots with spike, snap dragons and pansys. Asparagus is coming on in the valley.. time to plan for a pickling party!

o

Jeanne I emailed my list of bunnies to you. You are welcome Vina =) I would like to hank Shirley for her beautiful Easter card. Great photos with farmer McGregor Vina! Rain today and cold coming in...I guess today is housework day, LOL.

Jayeanne

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 11:40

Well, I didn't cry, but I came close.
Shirley

o

Good morning ladies! I am loving all the pics! Jeanne and Sharon, I too have those daffodils, but think I bought mine. Heidi, love the poetry with the map! Very talented in that area!
So glad we didn't get the freeze as bad as they said! My flowers aren't dead this morning. Been gone for a week and amazing the things blooming and popping up in just a week. I would have cried had there been snow! But was hard to go from 70's down to 30's.
I'm sending my bunny names in a minute! Let me know if you don't get them! So much fun!
Have a great day all!
Melinda

o

So sad to see that snow on the daffodils! I hope they recover. An extended stretch of weird weather.

Did anyone see the "blood moon" or "pink moon"? I figured it was too cloudy two nights ago so I didn't try to find the blood moon. Last night I looked hoping to see the pink moon, but the moon was very bright and the sky was very clear and not a bit of pink visible! I never heard of a pink moon before so I was disappointed not to see it.

I have bunny guesses that recently arrived from:
Melinda
Shirley
Jayeanne

Peggy, I've looked the for e-mail with yours and nothing has come through yet. Perhaps you should send it again if that's possible.

Well, time to get some things done around here. Eatser will show up before we know it.

Jeanne

o

Shirley, my daffodils looked just like that yesterday but they will recover.

I am sending my bunny list as soon as I sign off.

Margo

o

When I got home today, I found Flat Farmer MacGregor two waiting in the driveway. After some refreshment, he asked to look around the gardens and greenhouse.
First he checked on some plants in the greenhouse that will be set out this weekend for the hummingbirds. He expressed a preference for the Ruellia elegans and bright orange-red Snapdragons. He likes bright colors, does MacGregor.

o

Outside he was partial to late Tulip 'Bright Parrot'.

o

He offered to stick around tomorrow and operate the tiller for me before taking off for parts unknown. We just have to figure out how to get his legs long enough to get his feet on the ground.

o

Cute pictures, Alana. I love the tulips! Do tulips rebloom for you there? They won't here in SC (well, only the species tulips) so I seldom plant them even though I love all the varieties and colors. Our daffodils reappear so I get my "fix" on daffodils.

In case some of your are wondering why I only put the clear contact paper on the back of Flat Farmer McGregor, it was so we wouldn't get a lot of glare when taking pictures. The pictures are great and he seems to be holding up. He'a a tough old fellow!

Speaking of daffodils, Shirley in Michigan posted that snow picture yesterday and I responded, but what I forgot to do was to check my calendar in the drawer near the computer. Yesterday was Shirley's birthday!

Shirley, I am so sorry to be late with your birthday wishes. I hope that other than the snow, you had a wonderful day. May the whole year be good to you!

Well, I need to get a few more things done around here so that's it for now. Happy Travels, Flat McGregor!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I used the mail address listed on your GW Member page. I don't show that the email didn't go through. Do you have another email address?

o

Happy Belated Birthday Shirley. Hope it was all you wanted it to be.

Alana-Great pictures....and you got some work out of Flat Farmer McGregor. I received a lot of tulips for my Birthday and planted them and have fell in love with them. They are so many choices in tulips now. That Tulip Bright Parrot is to die for.

Vina-I love your pond picture. I told DH last week that is our next priority...the pond. We really need to re-landscape, move rocks and fix it. Your daffodils are so bright and pretty, thanks for sharing with us.

Shirley

o

Thank you Jeanne. Most tulips are really only good for one year, but I try to plant a few every fall.
Thanks Shirley. I used to be all about pastel tulips, but lately I've been focused on the brightest I can find.
I've enjoyed everyone's photos-hope there is lot's more to come.
Flattie is on the sofa, snoring. He won't be leaving for the airport until evening, when he will be on his way to his next hostess.
Have a nice day and fantastic weekend, everyone.

o

Happy Belated Birthday to you Shirley! So hope you had a great day!
I'm patiently waiting for Flat Farmer McGregor!
Hope everyone has a ncie day! Melinda

o

Happy Belated Birthday Shirley! Hope you had a wonderful day!

Thanks Shirley, it's taken a couple of days in hip waders to get it that clean. It seems like every fall every single leaf in the whole area blows into the pond and makes a slurry of yuck. Then in spring I get in and scoop it all out. One good thing is I put it in the wheelbarrow and haul it over to the veggie garden. Its great for the horrible clay soil we have.

Alana, I love your pictures. Everything in your greenhouse is so "flowery" (technical term, lol) already. Love your tulips!! That looks like one that I purchased a few years ago. Planted it and it never flowered, lol. Went to check out the problem and some little critter had a winter feast on my tulip bulbs. They were all gone. Now I stick to daffodils, lol.

As my little Billy has been telling me every morning this week...only 4 more days till Easter!! He's so excited!! He's been singing Peter Cottontail all week :D

Have a great Thursday!
vina

o

This is so much fun seeing everyone's flowers. My daffodils came through last week's snow. I have a couple dozen blooming. I love that tulips and daffodils come back year after year and they are up and blooming before other plants have even set their alarm clock. I'm still on the frugal side so while I like parrot tulips, I haven't bought any. I keep buying on clearance. I planted in parks, too, so everyone can enjoy. I want MacGregor to come, but I want him to wait so something is blooming when he shows up!
Heidi

o

Flat is certainly having a good time with you guys on his journey across the country. FUNNY...FUNNY!!

Shirley.....I hope your birthday was the best. Happy, Happy Birthday!

Very few of my Daffodils even bloomed this year....to warm. Daffodils are so darn happy...love them!

Happy Day to all!

Annie

o

While taking a mini vacation with my niece last week, one of the many beautiful sights we encountered included this blooming tulip field. Tulips are a big industry in Washington State. According to history, Mary Brown Stewart started growing tulips in 1906 with bulbs from Holland. In 1926 her son Sam Stewart started the Tulip Grange Bulb Farm near LaConner. Marinus Lefeber, a friend of Sam Stewart, moved their Whatcom County operation down to a farm along Memorial Highway near Mount Vernon. The farm was in business until 2002. Other bulb growers joined them after 1945. Here is a link that provides more information: colinday.bravepages.com/oregonwashington/skagit.html

o

I came home to find the envelope from Vina and decided to open it outside as it is a beautiful day here. Old McGregor took off running around the back off the house. I noticed my garden shed door was ajar and I found him hiding in the rafters among my ornaments. Silly man then jumped down and ran back outside.

o

I turned around and found him hiding in a tuft of ornamental grass. He is quite anxious to get started on his next journey. He thinks this part of Ohio is too flat but does like the blooming daffodils. I promised him he'll be in the mail again tomorrow. Margo

o

Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 18:13

Thanks for all the B-Day wishes, it was a good day, despite the snow!

Love seeing all the pics of Flat and his travels. He has had some interesting times! Margo, if he doesn't like "flat" Ohio, he sure won't like "flat" Michigan! He would have to go far to find some hills in this neck of the woods!

Close to 60 here today, but as they say, once bitten, twice shy, so I can't get over the feeling that it's going to snow again tomorrow! On the other hand, the mini daffs that were buried are back to their beautiful little selves, crazy!

Have a great Friday, All!
Shirley!

o

photo Aprilmap4_zps62c2e1a4.jpg
Flat MacGregor in Ohio, what did you there?
You frightened the pants off Margo's derriere!
Now back into the envelope you go.
Be a good MacGregor or you may arrive in snow!

This post was edited by xiangirl on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 21:30

o

Margo-Too cute....love where you live and such a neat garage shed.

So excited to have a three day week-end....love holidays.
I hope everyone has a fun filled Good Friday.

Shirley

o

Heidi,
Another great poem! However, on the map, you missed Vina in New York State (the visit before Ohio). Hope that helps. Also Flat #2 has traveled from my house to Kentucky. We will all have our heads spinning with all the travels and two of them!

Peggy, that tulip field is gorgeous! We saw places like that in Holland. Margo, great pictures of Flat McGregor's visit there. I'm glad no one got hurt when he decided on hiding in the garden shed. It probably reminded him of the Peter Rabbit story!

Wishing a blessed and Happy Easter to everyone this weekend! if you travel, may they be safe travels. And, Flat, you behave yourself as you travel!

Jeanne

o

Yeah Margo he made it. That is one sneaky farmer running away from you like that. How could Flat not like a place thats flat? LOL! :D Love your pond and your grasses!

Heidi, you missed me on your map. That's okay, It was too cold up here anyhow, lol.

Peggy, THAT IS A TULIP FIELD!!! Amazing! Like what you see in calendars...simply amazing!

Hope everyone has a terrific Good Friday!
Off to dinner and some last minute bunny recon for the kids :D

vina

o

I don't know why some of my pictures end up sideways. I could swear the one of my shed was fine yesterday but on my computer today, it is sideways. I made sure my pic was far enough from the pond to not show it needs to be cleaned out. Another spring project. The three goldfish made it through another winter. It helps to have a heater. Darn heater cost me 40 dollars to keep three 25 cent goldfish alive. It is the second heater two. The first one never really worked right. I have had two of the fish for six years and the third one is their little one.

Just realized three of my kitties can be seen in the background. One is rolling in the dirt path. I think McGregor must have been hiding from them.

I sent him on his way to his next destination this morning. I hope he has a safe trip.

Margo

o

Tomorrow I'll announce the winner of the 25 Rabbit Names Game. Have a Happy Easter!
Jeanne

o

I think I fixed it. Sorry everyone. Thank you for being forgiving! Didn't mean to leave you out Vina!
Here's Map #2 (if I did it right)
 photo McGregMap1_zpse2b72ad7.jpg

o

Happy Easter dear ladies...what a beautiful Easter Sunday the Lord has given us.

photo Jesus.jpg

Shirley

o

Lovely Easter message, Shirley ... and thanks for getting the maps together for us Heidi. I hope everyone has a lovely day!

I am not a morning person, but I went to early services at church figuring they would be the least crowded .. still absolutely packed, but the message, music, flowers, etc. were beautiful and now I can sit here and sip my coffee and finish waking up.

Here is the winner of our 25 Bunnies Game --- it's Margo with 19 matches compared to my list! Congratulations. I'll get a prize sent out to you this week. Everyone did a great job coming up with famous bunnies.

In case you are curious about what was on my list, I had:

The Energizer Bunny
Trix Bunny
Harvey
Peter Rabbit
Roger Rabbit
The White Rabbit (Alice in Wonderland)
Bugs Bunny
The Easter Bunny
Velveteen Rabbit
Thumper
March Hare
Br'er Rabbit
Benjamin Bunny
Flopsy
Mopsy
Cottontail
Captain Carrot
Honey Bunny
The Cadbury Bunny
Duracell Bunny
Nesquick Bunny
Playboy Bunny
Mrs. Rabbit (Peter Rabbit story)
Benny Bunny (Sesame Street)
Tortoise and the HARE

There were many, many more bunnies on the lists. Margo added (but didn't get credit for "Chocolate Bunny" - that was a great one, Margo, and I'll bet we were looking for him this morning.

Well, folks --- that's all for now.
Jeanne

o

photo jackalope_zpsb0deefb4.jpg
I didn't figure the Jackalope would be on your list, but I had to put it on my list! Congrats Margo! I am between Easter events. Went to church. My mother and I are starting a jail ministry this afternoon at 2 p.m. Then on to the family event in the afternoon. Happy Easter!

o

Margo, congrats on winning the bunny name game!
Loved your pictures of Flat McGreggor!

I got a kick reading all the names!

Also, I'm a little confused is Flat a Mc or a Mac ... is he Irish or Scottish? LOL (I know there isn't a difference between the 2 in terms of ancestry)
I see him listed as both in our posts. LOL

sharon

o

Congrats to you, Margo! Way to go! Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter! I had fabulous service at church at then come home and had big dinner! Enjoyed it all!
Hope everyone did the same!

o

Wow, I won. It was fun to come up with bunny names and I couldn't forget my favorite chocolate bunny. LOL

We had a low key Easter. Most of our kids were scattered about so my hubby and I went to our middle daughters and spent the afternoon with her and her husband. Watched our favorite baseball team, Detroit Tigers win their game. Watched the Detroit Red Wings get beat, :( and watched my husbands favorite hockey team, Canadiens win.

We ordered pizza rather than make a meal for 4 of us and my daughter and I jogged a mile and a half so it was a successful day.

Margo

o

Yippee!! We finally got some April showers!

o

Yesterday when I opened my mail box out jumped Flat Farmer McGregor and he said," Oh my goodness I'm still in the Ohio flatlands," so he climed up my Star Magnolia to see if there were any bunnies around. I told him I had seen some around the house in the daffodils but he didn't find any so he said I'm leaving in the morning and I asked where he was going but he wouldn't answer me.

o

This is one place I spotted him going through the daffodils and tulips.

o

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 21:58

When I got home today, ole Flat #2 was waiting in my mailbox!

First, he made a stop in the flowerbeds, and enjoyed smelling the rose vervains.

But then he went to the greenhouse and visited the wren's nest that set up shop. I've been watching this nest for weeks, and in celebration of Earth Day today, the little chicks hatched! Ole Flat made a visit, and since they were not IN the garden, he behaved himself.

Tomorrow, ole Flat #2 will be off on the next leg of his journey!

Happy Earth Day, FOTESSettes!

o

I'm glad Flattie 2 found a nest to rest in! It seemed to take him a long time to get there. Both of them must be doing a little sight-seeing while traveling around. Peter and his friends are getting a nice vacation while he's gone.
Great photos everyone!

o

This is one place I spotted him going through the daffodils and tulips.

This post was edited by hibiscusfan on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 9:30

o

Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 21:11

Beautiful Magnolia, Suzanne! Didn't realize you were that close to Margo and Me! Kind of like in between, I think.

Katie, the Rose Vervain is beautiful, too, does it attract butterflies? Love the baby Wrens!

We're having lots of sunshine here, but still very cold. I had to come back in this morning and grab my hat and mittens! But by the time I came home, it was much warmer.

I've started working on my granddaughters quilts again, at the worse possible time of year. They started out as crib quilts, but the girls are 6 and 3 and long out of cribs. So now I'm making single bed quilts and hopefully will finish them before the girls get married, which would necessitate making queen size quilts - AAAGGGGHHH!!

Waiting for Ole Flat to show up here in Michigan, somewhere!
Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

photo Aprilmap5_zps5ea12f01.jpg

photo McGregMap2_zps8827c23b.jpg

I hope it's right. I think algebra was easier than this and I cried through algebra! lol

o

Good job...love the maps.

Katie-The baby wrens are so cute....

Shirley-My Mother made all her Children, Grandchildren and a few of the Great Grandchildren quilts when they got married. Everyone treasures those quilts, it is almost a lost art. I wish I had been taught how to make them.

Shirley

o

Great pictures and great maps! Heidi, don't worry - unlike algebra - there won't be a test on the maps. We appreciate you doing them. It's making the month a lot more fun and you have a new addition to the maps with the GardenWeb names included on them. Love it!

It seems I have lots of appointments scheduled this week so sorry if I don't drop in soon after you post. Today one of the garden groups that I belong to had a meeting and luncheon out of town so between the meeting, lunch, and travel - lots of my day was gone... not to mention I did a bit of snoozing in front of the TV when I got home! Lunch was so delicious though - it was worth the drive. Our speaker talked about roses and when I got home I walked around to check on my plants ... and yes, I had my first rose blossom of the year!

Jeanne

o

Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 22:49

Nice maps, Heidi! (don't cry!)

Margo, congrats on the win!

Shirley, yes the rose vervain is a nice nectar provider. The butterflies love it, especially right now before many of the summer flowers are blooming.

I am missing so many posts to this thread via email... GW must be going through another glitchy spell, because I've only gotten half of the latest posts emailed to me. Hmmm

I dropped Flatty #2 at the post office today in hopes of getting him to his next destination one day faster. Our tiny town is rural enough that it adds one extra day going and/or coming via the USPS.

o

Congratulations Margo!! I still can not believe there are so many famous bunnies! Jeanne, fun game!

I keep laughing at how much FUN Flat and his twin are having with the FOTESSERS!!! Looking forward to his arrival in Southern California.

Heidi, nice work on the maps!!

Quilting, what an art!!! Sad, sad, sad to say, I do not know a soul here in Southern California that quilts. And my Mom and Mother-In-Law did not do it and none of their friends did it. When in Lancaster, Pa, I am amazed at the beautiful quilt work of the Amish!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Shirley, your quilt experience made me laugh. I started a cross stitch blanket when I was pregnant with my first child. I set it aside one day with intentions of finishing it. Well, the printed cross stitch pattern faded so it never was done.

I also think that one day, those Gardenweb members who are in this area should meet somewhere and have a plant swap and day of fun. I think we could get a little group together.

Heidi, I love the maps. It is neat to see where the old guy is traveling.

Have a good day everyone. Raining and chilly here so won't be going in the gardens for a couple days. I will say though that there has been a robin outside behind the house that has been just singing its little heart out. Margo

o

Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:16

Well, Flat made it into SE Michigan today, on a very cold, wet, drizzly type day, and after spending most of the day in my mailbox, he was damp and thoroughly disgruntled, as evidenced by his reaction to my backyard in April. It wasn't nice, Folks! I tried to explain that this is way it always looks in April, and if he would care to come back at the end of May, it would look 100% better.

o

Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:19

He wasn't really impressed with the Bleeding Hearts either.

o

Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:23

He stomped back inside and inspected the quilt project. I think I heard him mutter something about "women's work - hmmmpf". I could be wrong.

o

Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:30

Flat did make an attempt at being civil, by trying to engage Vinnie and Willie in some conversation. Vinnie wasn't buying any of it, he ran upstairs and hid. Willie tolerated Flat, at best.

Since ole Flat didn't seem to be enjoying himself all that much, I packed him up and will try to get him mailed back out again tomorrow. Hey, Cie La Guerre, Flat!!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:48

Ya know, Fotessers, we have a "real" quilter in our group - Jeanne! I think she has been quilting, and finishing quilts, for a long time. And I think she teaches quilt classes too.

I couldn't find a quilting teacher here in Monroe County, so I'm mostly learning as I go. I have a great quilt book with instructions, so I'm not totally out here on my own! I'd like to do as much as I can by hand, but I'm sure I'll do machine sewing on the longer seams, just so I can have them done by Christmas. Or next Easter. I really enjoy putting the blocks together!

Gotta go finish the laundry and eat.
Shirley!

o

Guess who showed up at my house! Finally, Flat Farmer McGregor arrived and had to check out my creeping phlox!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here