Houzz Logo Print
skohler_gw

NEW: Birthday club robin

skohler
19 years ago

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND 12 GALS THAT WOULD LIKE TO BE IN

MY BIRTHDAY CLUB .

IF WE CAN FIND 12 GALS THAT ENJOY GIVEING & RECIEVING

STARTING APRIL 05 -JAN 06 1 GAL A MONTH IF YOUR BIRTHDAY IS IN APRIL YOU WILL GET 12 PLANTS 1 PLANT FROM EACH GAL PLUS MAYBE A FEW EXTRA GOODIES :)))

I CAN ONLY CHOOSE 1 BIRTHDAY GAL PER MONTH

SO WHEN YOU SIGN UP GIVE YOUR DATE OF BIRTH .

1ST ONE TO SIGN FOR THAT MONTH IS IN.

MINE IS JULY 9TH SO JULY IS TAKEN .

YOU MUST BE WILLING TO SEND A PLANT AND A SMALL GIFT OR TOKEN TO THE BIRTHDAY GIRL FOR THAT MONTH,

THIS IS LIKE HAVEN A QUEEN FOR THE MONTH.

PLEASE BE SURE YOU ARE ABLE &THAT YOU WANT TO DO THIS BEFORE YOU JOIN.

OTHERS WILL BE COUNTING ON YOU TO SEND YOUR PLANTS.

AS SOON AS YOU SIGN IN WITH YOUR BIRTHDAY MONTH I WILL THEN EMAIL YOU FOR YOUR INFO .

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL

HAPPY GARDENING

SUE

Comments (100)

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Mellen
    I ended up sending your package a little late. I am sorry that I couldn't get it out sooner!! However I was waiting on something to add to your package so I think you'll be happy when you receive it!! Sue please don't get after me!!! LOL Mellen you can send mine late ... I will understand!! This way the whole month is covered and you can celebrate the month vs just a day!! I am truly sorry for this and hope you can forgive me? Enjoy!

• mellen
    18 years ago

Hello, hello! I did receive another birthday box yesterday, but there was no card, return address, or any sort of ID with it. I did finally see on the corner in tiny postal letters that it was from Indianapolis. So then I contacted Sue to see who was from there. Soooo, Jen--hija_de_lamadre--I'm told it is from you. Inside was a nice little hosta plant, golden tiara, that I will certainly enjoy watching grow. There was also a baby aloe vera start along with a box of what are called Garden Gems. This box has 4 little bulbs of the flower acidanthera. It looks like it will be very pretty, Jen. I have already placed the cute turtle outside in one of my flower gardens here by the house. Jen, thank you for remembering me. I am very appreciative. Mary Ellen

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

mellen

your box, albeit shipped late, was mailed. i sent it priority with confirmation, should arrive in a few days. even though i missed your actual birthday, warm wishes are sent your way. continue to enjoy your special month. it's not over yet :)

i hope you enjoy the things i sent.

please, since this is the first time i have ever sent live plants, let me know how i did and if i can improve upon it.

happy (belated) birthday !

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi Mellen
    I sure hope your package arrives today!!! I was told tuesday or Wed. I feel bad that it is late but I sure hope you can still get much enjoyment from it!!

• hija_de_lamadre
    18 years ago

The return addy must have come off. Glad you liked it. The tulip things are napkin holders.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

well, at least the post office means business when they say 2 day delivery. per my confirmation number, mellen received my box today (whew!!! right under the wire wasn't i? sorry :)

anyway, i'll patiently await your posting. hope you enjoyed what i sent.

• mellen
    18 years ago

Hello, hello, Yes, I have received some more gifts. PlantladyJan, yours arrived Wednesday. I loved what you sent along with a good laugh til I had tears. I am referring to the razor. Believe me I need it right now 'cuz I'm wavin' in the wind.

I am very excited that you have given me my very first lavender plant. It smells heavenly, too. Can't wait to plant it. And along with that is the daylily you sent. Both plants arrived in perfect condition. Thank you! I really like the "Lush Spa" that you sent, too. It is just so neat! Folks, there is a soap in the shape of a leaf, some bath salts, confetti soap, and four cute little bath fizzes. It smells verrrry nice, too. Ummmmm.... Lastly is the angel you sent. She is so lovely and beautiful. She has a special spot on our fireplace mantle. Jan, thank you, too, for the card and note you wrote. I do appreciate what you wrote about humor, etc. I hope you know how much I loved everything you sent!!! It was absolutely wonderful and I thank you, Mary Ellen/Mellen

• gardeningnutinva
    18 years ago

Hi Mellen

Just wondering if you have gotten my package yet. I havent seen you post that you have. Of course I misplaced the confirmation # so I cant track it. I will keep looking for it!

Sheena
    gardeningnutinva

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i am waiting as well. per confirmation number it was delivered on thursday. not trying to be a royal PIA, but would just like to know you got it.

• mellen
    18 years ago

Sheena, yes, your package arrived on Wednesday. Please accept my sincere apology for not posting last night--actually early this morning when I did Jan's just before 1:00AM. I did not get home from school until 8:30 and then my son needed some "mom" time so I did that instead.

Thank you for the autumn red daylily. The picture on the box looks very pretty. Thank you, too, for the windchime. I will also be putting a billfold-size senior picture of our son in the frame that you sent. I did not have one that size so it is just perfect. Have a great week-end. Mary Ellen

• mellen
    18 years ago

Earthly, I'm the royal pia for posting one day late. I am sorry. I do love what you sent. Where on EARTH(ly) did you ever find the candle in the shape of a two-tiered decorated birthday cake? It is really something!!! Never in my life have I seen such a thing. What a hoot! THANK you.

I am so excited with the autumn joy sedum, daylily, and Rose of Sharon. I have places for all of them. The R of S will be very special due to the history you included. Also, what a wonderful idea to send items needed for trading seeds--coin envelopes, packing tape, size 000 bubble envelopes. Plus peat pellets--excellent! I'm still not done starting some seeds so they will be used. Awesome coffees and tea--creme savers. Yum! The chocolate/caramel creme are new to me. Delicious! The garden bag you sent is just great, too! Again, have never seen one before. I will use it this week-end. Have LOTS of weeds to pull. And lastly, I am absolutely enthralled with the Welcome rock with the two adorable frogs and flowers. I will find an appropriate place for it in the flower area leading to our front door.

Maryanne, I am so appreciative of all that you did for me--the thought and generosity that you put into this gift. Mary Ellen

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi MaryEllen
    I am so happy to hear that you received your package!! I am glad that you got a laugh and that the new razor will be put to good use!! LOL So happy to be the person to get you started into the wonderful world of Lav./herbs!! I am glad that you can use the other stuff I sent. Again I am sorry it was delayed! Enjoy your weekend and the rest of your birthday month!!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Mellen

I'm so glad you enjoyed everything i sent. wasn't that candle neat? i wish i had picked up more when i saw it, don't know what i was thinking! found it in a little novelty shop on one of my many outings.

i am sorry to have been so itchy for your post. i realize everyone has a life to lead, but i'm just a tad impatient. i've had some recent situations where no acknowledgements have been forthcoming and it's frustrating.

i hope the plants arrived safely. when i sent this box and a few others at the same time, it was my first for ever sending live plants. i i need to improve, please let me know so i can correct things for the future.

you seem to have had a great month so far. nice to be spoiled once in a while, isn't it?

happy 29th!

• mellen
    18 years ago

Ladies, for those of you who feel "funny" or whatever about being late sending gifts--Don't!!! It has just made for an extended BD. SUCH fun!

Earthly--your plants arrived in Superb shape! Everything still green and nothing broken or out of shape.

This exchange has been so very, very much fun. It is really hard to explain how a person feels to receive so many gifts. Overwhelming certainly comes to mind. Humbling, thankful for everyone's generosity. I look forward to sending gifts to each of you on your special day. Shall we all be 29 or younger? Hmmmm....Actually, I like the age I am. Well, only one more gift to go. Mellen/Mary Ellen

• hija_de_lamadre
    18 years ago

I have to admit I am still under 29.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i have to admit, i remember 29 LOL

• Poochella
    18 years ago

LOL Earthly you crack me up so! Ah I fondly recall 29, my knees didn't hurt, I didn't have to have ibuprofen in the house, I could outrun the dog, I could drink coffee til all hours and still go to sleep- that same day; I could remember where my keys were, I didn't NEED to remember where my reading glasses were. You could get a gallon of gas for under 50 cents. Nixon was President.

Gee, that was a looooooooooooooooooooooong time ago!

• hija_de_lamadre
    18 years ago

I do not rememeber gas less than about 1.50, never knew Nixon and my knees still hurt! And the thumbs.

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just wanted to let you all know we have a new
    August Player , it is jwkbstrouble from tx
    I'm just waiting for her to send me her DOB
    then I will forward all her info to you.
    mellen she has your addy & will be getting a box
    out to you soon.
    happy gardening
    sue

• rewards1
    18 years ago

Mellen, Your gift is on it's way, mailed it today. happy Birthday. ENJOY!!! Liz

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well this is earthly delights months

So I would like for everyone to please send me a quick email to let me know you have mailed your boxes out.
    all boxes should be mailed by may 15th .
    if you see you can not get your box out to earthly
    then please let me know .

happy gardening
    sue

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

a big thank you to Liz (rewards). i received your box today containing birthday wishes, a sweet little garden frog, an oven mitt and potholder and siberian iris rhizomes which i am told are purple and cream and GORGEOUS ~~ i'll just bet they are and will patiently wait for their bloom. what an absolute;y welcoming addition to my garden.

i will be putting them in the ground as soon as i get off the computer. i just wanted to get on and acknowledge you Liz and thank you so very much. it means so much to me to have a piece of you planted on my little piece of heaven.

i just want to share something with you all. the other day my son's friend stopped by and asked me if i was trying to win a beautiful garden contest. it so touched my heart to have a young boy take notice. so much has been my hard work, but at the same time, i have been adding pieces of all the wonderful traders on GW and it just astounds me what is being accomplished here. i've come a long way in the world of flower gardening, i'm so proud of myself and i'm so grateful for what has and is being shared with me.

thank you again Liz - for being the first and for your kindness and generosity, it truly is appreciated.

time to dig in the dirt :)

• mellen
    18 years ago

Earthly, I hope you don't mind my doing a thank you to someone? We have added Kim Westmoreland-JWKBSTROUBLE-to our birthday club, and she did send me a gift. I want to thank Kim for the colorful little garden angel and the following seeds--butterfly bush,short double yellow marigold, and red and yellow lantana. Mellen

Now back to you, Birthday Girl of the Month-Earthly!!!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Mellen

one should never mind good manners :)

welcome to the club, Kim.

Happy Mother's Day everyone :)

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi gals :))
    Just wanted to let earthly know your box is in route :))) sure hope you have your shovel & spade ready
    has been a long day today . got to lay back .
    happy gardening
    sue

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

I want to wait until Monday the 16th to mail as I am going to a big swap on the 14th. Just might find something there that Earthly really wants. Wish you could all go along. This is going to be a blast with lots of plants and lots of Brownies. What more could anyone want???

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Oh oh Earthly. An ominous pall falls on the thread as I read SK's post... I mailed today too and also hope you have your shovel and spade and pain killers ready LOL >~ºI just knew I should have thrown in that ibuprofen!
    Betcha don't get another one like one of something I enclosed. Given that the PO man said 2-3 days ETA, you may not have much to plant. Let's cross our fingers for 2 days.
    Happy Birthday Month!

• huntcop
    18 years ago

I would LOVE to join, is there any room for more, or to start up another group??

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

oh my God, Sue - what a box.

i had just decided to go into the back yard to put in some brussel sprouts that were given to me earlier today, when i i heard the mail truck pull up in front. i met a smiling face carrying two big boxes. the first i opened was from you sue and just so you know, the brussel sprouts never got planted! lol

i just couldn't believe my eyes. sue, you are such a generous person, i was floored by how beautifully everything was wrapped. all different colored tissue paper holding one wonderful plant after the other ~~ happy birthday bags full of even more plant goodies.

sue i have to tell you as i unwrapped each package, i just couldn't believe there was still another one and another and another and another. it never ended.

by the time i got to your typed note, i had tears in my eyes. i couldn't believe all of this was for me. each plant was an amazing, precious gift. as i read your post a few above mine, i see where you said you had a "long hard day". after going through this box, i'd now understand what you meant. wow, what a day of digging, labeling and wrapping you had - i hope you rested well after that. your package screamed with the kindness and generosity of your heart, sue. i sure hope your bones aren't still aching because of me. my heart is just so full - thank you so very much. just sitting here typing this i am teary eyed and overjoyed.

before i comment on each thing received, just let me say how great it was that not only did you send extremely well-rooted, thriving and excellently wrapped plants, you made me a permanent plant marker for each one. what a gift in and of itself.

(As an aside, i am taking lessons from all you wonderful gardeners and learning the real ins and outs of how to do all this plant trading, labeling, wrapping and sending. your experience is worth so much and can only make me better.)

i first opened a very large "clump" of ribbon grass. then some purple salvia (wow, don't have purple), a yellow yarrow, (thank you, thank you, thank you - mine did not return this year) pink bee balm (my sister was just asking if i had any, since she lost hers in her move...i can now share with her since you were so generous in the amount of all these plants you sent); some bishop weed, a night shade bush (wow!), carnations -- which since i was a little girl, i have always loved them and still do - as simple as they are, they are my favorite cut flower. also included was an unknown, which looks to me like maybe lamb's ear - or something in the sage family? in any event i'll plant it - in the meantime i'll look it up and see if i can find out for sure.

as if all of this was not enough sue, nestled in a beautiful flowered gift bag was an outside plaque thermometer with a sweet hummingbird and vine and a wonderful flowering and butterfly card oozing with warm birthday wishes.

sue my heart wants to explode. you are one heck of a generous gifter. this was an amazing box. and you honored me with so much of your hard labor. i'm so grateful and so thrilled to have been spoiled with all these wonderful, healthly, deep rooted plants.

sue, did you save anything for yourself and the others further down the list? if so, WOW, you must have one heck of a garden. I am still so overwhelmed with your kindness.

i am so grateful - thank you again from my heart.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

so as if Sues box wasn't enough, I received a second box and again, was so overwhelmed and so grateful.

Poochie, Poochie, Poo....I love you! What a box. Again, all I can say is WOW what did i do to deserve such wonderful gifts from such a wonderful lady? extremely well-rooted, established plants, every one of them tagged and labeled with all the necessary information as to light requirements, color, height, and spacing. What a professional job. how convenient while i am out planting to just be able to read your included info, know where and how and go about my business because you took the time to teach me.

Oh, there was just so darned much packed into that box. By this time my heart was bursting at the seams.

The first things I opened was this baggie filled with happy birthday mints and D A H L I A s. okay, so i stopped and ate a mint - a delicious butter mint - one of my favorites! Not only dahlias, but dahlia descriptions, color, height, how and when they bloom, which ones to stake, how to stake them...all the instructions and information a dahlia newbie needs. Even included was a web link to obtain additional information. I bow to you, my dahlia queen! i feel so indoctrinated into the Royal Order of Dahlia Darlings!

The sweetest card, - I love the picture on it. The art work is called "golden harvest". Suitable for framing, but it's licensed so you can't. It will just have to be added to my "special card" box. It really is a beautiful copy of the original watercolor. Included were just the nicest note and a buzzing bee - LOL. I feel official now. and such a wonderful letter included. thank you for sharing so much of "you".

Pooch stated she tried to start me off with a red, white and blue garden (this is something I would love to accomplish, having watched my mother "theme" out year after year), but "pink, bronze, magenta and purple sneaked in there as well". guess who will NOT be complaining about that?

Again, another generous and wonderful gifter. another box that overwhelmed me in a good way, take all my cares away while I potted everything up and make my heart sing with joy over your kindness and generosity.

in this stuffed to the gills box, I received (again very well rooted, wonderfully established plants) of geraniums, saxifrage, campanula glomerata, russian sage (have I told you I love you ?) purple asters, white asters, dicentra formosa (I am thinking this is bleeding heart and if so, thank you, thank you, thank you). I also received langtress, monarda and monkshood (which from the google picture I saw is going to be absolutely Gorgeous with a capital "G". I still have some research on some of these, but the plant tags that you placed on each gave me such detailed planting information, i am just anxious to see the picture.

I received also some gladiola bulbs (did I ever tell anyone that the first time I planted these gorgeous bulbs I paid more money than I should have for so few, that not one bloomed. Here I planted each and every one of them UPSIDE DOWN and then didnt realize they had to come out of the ground. Its great to learn from experience and mistake, but .

I hope I am not missing any of the other plants that were sent.

Received a miniature wind chime that found the perfect place perched on this mini shepherd hook. i have them all over my property holding chimes, signs, mini birdhouses, etc. This one I placed as you come into the side from the path I painstakingly dug and laid out last season. i love windchimes! Also, the sweetest package of sleeping doggie note cards and a wonderful fishing lure. my son saw it on the table and said "thanks mom for getting this for me". i did tell him where it came from and i did allow him to put it in his tackle box - some things we share real well!

Again, I hope I didnt forget to acknowledge any of the great things you sent to me, dear, sweet annie. I feel so special. It felt like Christmas came early and I was a little kid again and getting everything only Santa knew I wanted or needed full of surprise and wonder, just the way it should be. I feel spoiled.

I also feel that my garden is going to be more than I have ever anticipated or dreamed it could be. I feel so blessed being a part of such a wonderful group of people who extend their heart in such giving ways.

Pooch I send to you a big SMOOCH. I cherish everything you sent my way. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

sue and annie

just so you know, everything arrived in the greatest of condition, i gave everyting a welcome home drink and then potted it all into containers until i can determine where it is all going. i'm already plotting and planning.

you two ladies really outdid yourselves and made me very happy and so special. so much received in one day, so much to be thankful for.

i'm so blown away by both your generous spirit of giving. i'll be a busy BEE tomorrow getting everything in the ground. i'll boil a pot of tea, take a few aleve, fill my a big bowl of water for my gardening companion and get out early to put my treasures in the ground. i'm lucky, i read horror stories about people's dogs digging up their stuff. my baby never does it. it's that damned squirrel and now a rabbit and lately there's been a ground hog trapsing about. i'm not ready for an all-out war . . . Y E T!

goodnight and thank you again. i'm sorry if i talk too much, i don't do it in person, just in writing. it's the only time i really think before i speak! (personality insight alert!)

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Earthly It was my pleasure the trick is to use
    a huge box wrap each plant as to look as there is
    allot in the box :)))

I'm very happy that you enjoyed the box your gifts are
    nice but sometime take up to much room in a box :)))
    as for haven plants left in my garden :(((
    Between the hard frost we had last week & now today
    the low 50's & possible winds , I don't know how much
    will make it this summer.
    I have a plant swap to go to the 21st so i hope to
    restock some of it :)))

well now I can start on my list for the next box :))))
    this is much fun . glad i thought of this :)))
    I even signed up for another DUH !!!!
    that means no more one on one trades :))))

well I hope the other birthday boxes will all
    arrive on time for you also .
    Wishing you the Best & happest birthday ever
    should have sent hand lotion :)))

happy gardening
    sue

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Posted by: skohler 5 (browneyessusan@mei.net) on Thu, May 12, 05 at 8:13
    the trick is to use a huge box wrap each plant as to look as there is allot in the box :)))
    ---

sue - THERE WAS A LOT IN THE BOX, no trick - you packed that thing and i am so grateful :)

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Earthly you are such a worthy recipient Birthday Gal! I love how you gush and am so thrilled by your writing, I might try sending myself a box to see if I can be such a grateful recipient. LOL
    I am just glad the box got there and wish it would have made it in 2 vs 3 days. Sending live plants is always a gamble, but the ones you have received are tough and forgiving, if you give them some air and water and light when they arrive.
    The "Langtrees" is the variety of dicentra formosa, indeed a short, white bleeding heart I just adore in my shade garden. The monarda will spread, in case I didn't warn you (didn't want to ruin your birthday month LOL.) You will have a big, long blooming scarlet humming bird magnet in your yard and plenty to share with other Gardenwebbers. So kill it now if that doesn't fit into your garden plans!

I think you have to be mean to the Russian Sage- I've seen such beautiful stands of it and mine get my usual rich compost of the perennial bed and just sort of do ho-hum. So I'm trying to find some really rotten soil where I can throw it, ignore it and hope it thrives on neglect. If anyone knows any tricks to producing good Russian Sage I would love to hear them.

If your son wants to give the fishing lure a try that's just fine- just tell him to keep it out of your neck, or anyone's neck for that matter! What do you fish for in Pennsylvania anyway? A great passtime fishing... a good time for quiet contemplation, enjoying the wonder of water and cursing when the big one gets away!

I am glad you enjoyed your gifts and wish you continued wonder in your birthday month. May is such a great month.
    I readily accept your smooch!

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well earthly out of all the robins I have
    been in or have hostessed , I have found this
    one to be the best yet & it has just started .
    I must say all of you gals have been so caring &
    sharing & that is the spice of all good gardeners .

I'm just thankfull that the plants arrived safly .
    Happy Birthday
    sue

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Earthly
    Just wanted to give you heads up Monday should be a plantling day for you!!! At least that is what the P.O. told me..........we all do believe what the Post Master says right? LOL Oh well I like to think positive!To you and all enjoy your weekend!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Well, it's my turn to thank plantladyjan,

A box filled with beautiful plants and each and every one of them received in excellent condition with flowers all intact. I just love everything you included, but I still have goose bumps over one thing especially. My son sends a big warm thank you; he can't believe that you thought enough of him. He said if he were face to face with you, he would hug you! So please, if you will, indulge me for a minute.

Im sure somewhere in my ramblings on one forum or another, I mentioned that we had this wonderful little pup that lived with us for only one month; reason being because he was so sick and died. We didn't know just how terribly sick he was, but illness never stopped this crazy little cuddle bug! In the month he lived with us, he filled our hearts as I am sure we filled his. To this day, even after only having him around a short time, he is still missed. Hes remembered always as we have a memorial garden to him, complete with angels, a beautiful steel cross that my son's friend made and several other little "knick-knack" kind of garden art/stuff. (as an aside, it was the only non-grumbling garden work my son actually did. don't get me wrong, he helps, but it's at a price for my sanity sometimes). We planted a lot of things in the garden and I also winter sowed forget-me-nots as requested by my son. Not because he knew the flower, but he heard the name and thought they would be perfect in his dog's garden. Not one seed made it. I winter sowed heavy handed and every pack I had. Like I said, not one took. Well today, I open Jans box there is a healthy, blooming, wonderfully rooted clump of these wonderful flowers and her note says: "for your memorial garden, I enclose blue forget-me-nots..." (Talk about teary-eyed emotions abounding) Jan, what can I say? Sometimes the smallest gestures just fill my heart to maximum. Your sending this particular plant means the world to both my son and I. How loving; how wonderful, how thoughtful, how right on the money....thanks you.

I also received bleeding heart. Just recently, I have received a few different species of this plant. Ive been sharing stories with my mother about garden web swaps since I have been taking her to post-surgery therapy twice a week. I am noticing them more and more and just recently my mom told me she planted them in honor of my father. In turn, I feel like I am now honoring my mom by having these in my beds. I never knew that they were a favorite of my dads, and carrying on her tradition, honors her as well and gives me a deeper sense of who i am.

Now this is funny (at least in my mind its funny). Theres a house up the street that has been unoccupied for quite some time. Someone comes around and maintains everything, but no one lives there. Out front is this really nice spirea and I was just "looking" at it wondering if I could take an inconspicuous cutting (after all, who would know, no one is there) but thought I would wait because we just clipped stuff from my sister's old house and I wanted to see if I was doing it right). Well Jan, what did you do - read my mind? You send me one so now I don't have to be a plant thief LOL. I had a spot picked out for it before I even had the plant and now that I have one, it's so perfect. What a real welcome addition.

Jan also sent me burgundy glow ajuga. A wonderful ground cover that couldn't have come at a better time. I just weeded an area in front of a rock garden put in last year and if it spreads as quickly as I hear it does, I'll be so thrilled.

Thank you also for the golden prince - I googled this and holy moly, what a beauty. Not sure where its going yet, so its in a container right now. I have a little more reading up on it to understand growing requirements and all that fun stuff, but the picture just knocked me out.

I also got a daylily. This one is called black eyed susan. I am going to have one heck of a daylily collection. I am also so thrilled that I am learning the names of so many plants. Im also astonished by the number of different plants one species has. The biggest thrill though is filling my garden with all the kindness and generosity that has been sent my way.

Wow Jan, every plant arrived in such wonderful shape, as if I just walked outside and picked it myself. All the flowers still on the cuttings to give me such visuals. I am so amazed by that!

I also want to thank you for the wonderful homemade seed envelopes. Im keeping these for my own personal stash...not sending them off in any seed trades. They are so nice and since you made them for me, well, Ill be a little selfish and keep them.

Jan, thank you not just for sending plants, but the particular plants you chose to send me. As if somehow you knew what I should have and getting it all right. Thank you for a piece of you, for sharing your garden toil and adding Michigan to my little slice of heaven. Also thank you for your card, your birthday wishes and your warm and wonderful letter. You really made my day. You have really added additional beauty to my property. thanks again :)

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Posted by: Poochella 7/ WEST WA (My Page) on Thu, May 12, 05 at 22:59

Earthly you are such a worthy recipient Birthday Gal! I might try sending myself a box to see if I can be such a grateful recipient. LOL
    ---
    Pooch - you crack me up and i thank you for your kind words.

as for fishing, we rarely if ever fish in PA. not so much because you need a license to do so, but it's always been a thing since I was a young girl going out with my dad, to pack a cooler full of food & drink, reserve a boat, load up the car, get on the road by 3 a.m. and head to the jersey shore points to fish and/or crab. i like to go for anything that is the right size by law and tastes good on the plate. my son could sport fish all day - catch and release. not me, i'm greedy, i want to eat what i catch.

as for all the plants you sent me, i've been doing my homework and planting them out. for now, the sage is in a container until i know where it's going to be housed permanently, but everything else has been planted out. the two asters are being nursed and are really perking back up. everything else is standing strong.

since it's my first year dahlia'ing, i chose to put them into containers, last thing i want to do is forget them or hurt them with i dig them up or worse yet - forget to dig them out!! Wouldnt want the Queens wrath sentencing me to the dungeon! LOL

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Beth,

I received your terrific box full of goodies today. Thank you so very much.

Everything arrived in great condition, every plant intact, roots still wet, well wrapped and marked. Since none of my daisies or coneflowers sprouted for me from the winter sowing method, I am unbelievably thrilled to have received the crazy daisy, Becky daisy and white coneflower. Such nice plants you sent too. I am really excited to have these. i was a little disappointed that i lost my entire flat of these winter sown seeds, that i thought after i get everything else done i would try some direct sowing. thanks to you, i am covered!

Cant wait to see what the "Missouri" daylily does. Another great addition to a pretty sweet collection I am gathering. I thank you as well for the cannas. I have an excellent container for this one so I dont forget to dig it up. From what I understand, I need to do that in my zone. I have never grown these before and I sure hope it will flower for me this year.

I did have to google the lycoris. I was able to find lycoris, but not yet something called naked lady. In any event, the ones that I saw are really interesting and i can't wait to see them up close and personal. I also want to thank for youre the verbena bonariensis, another wonderful butterfly attracting plant. I just cant get over how much beauty your generosity will add to my garden.

Also, thanks for the lovely card and warm wishes. I love the photograph on this card. Do you know the photographer personally? Such excellent work and what a beautiful place. Have you been to this particular spot? i'm sitting here daydreaming. I know you were from/lived in Alaska it just had to be so gorgeous there. Thats one place I want to visit in my lifetime. This photo is quite suitable for framing, which looks like it is going to happen.

Beth, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. I know you are just re-establishing yourself in your new home and this means so much to me that you were generous enough to share with me. I certainly will whistle while I work tomorrow in getting everything where it belongs.

Thank you again, i appreciate it all.

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

earthly so hope you had a great Birthday & so
    sorry that the garden web was haven a few minor
    glits in their sights , so I could not get in .
    I'm sure you was haven more fun with your family
    & friends :))) hopefully all your boxes will be
    rolling into you this week :)))
    happy gardening to all

sue

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

thanks for the thoughts sue. i did have a glorious day, form the minute it started, until the minute it ended. it wsa wonderful, chocked full of surprises, wonderful people, excellent food, and beautiful weather. i can't remember a day when i made it through the entire day thinking, "this was a great day from start to finish". God was really good to me - sent Him a message to "keep it up".

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Becky,

thank you ever so much for the excellent garden gloves. in my opinion, one can never have enough. i go through them like mad.

i also want to thank you for the glad bulbs. wow, can't wait. and the type you sent me - mon amour - i do not have. this is so excellent to add to my gladiola bed. and that i will have constant blooms as i have been planting them at intervals. i so look forward to their bloom and will smile with delight and think of you warmly as they do.

thank you again, becky, and for the wonderful birthday wishes. i truly appreciate you thinking of me.

earthly

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

jan,

i received in the mail today a wonderful garden journal. thank you ever so much. after all the wonderful plants you sent me, you turn around and send this journal.

what i love most about it is that you inscribed it. i love getting books that have been inscribed, so much more meaning.

i am going to use this particular journal to keep track of all the wonderful plants i received in this particular robin. what a great keepsake for me!

thanks again jan, i so appreciate the added thought. it was not necessary, but so very much appreciated.

• ShelbyRayMom
    18 years ago

Earthy, just wanted to let you know I send out your box today. Again, I am sooo sorry it is late. Hope you had a great day!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Tammy (ShelbyRayMom)

Thank you so very much for the goodie box i received today. everything arrived in excellent condition, well rooted and labeled so i would know what was what.

You sent me what you called aloe "babies" -- wow, more like teenagers. nice plants, there's enough of these guys to put them all in separate pots. I have one tiny one that i have been growing forever but it refuses to grow. now that it has company, maybe it will stand a chance!

a christmas cactus and a blue agave. i have never had either of these succulents and look forward to having them as a part of my indoor garden. i'll keep them potted up and outside for the summer, but they will be indoor plants once the season ends. what a nice addition.

an air plant -- i have some research to do on this. sounds quite interesting.

tammy, you hope i like garlic? LMAO. we are garlic-aholics here. my son would put it on/in his cereal if i would let him. we use it like other people use salt and pepper. it's pretty much a "vegetable" here. lol

the circle journal. wow, what an amazing thing. i have never seen anything like it. i am one of 5 sisters (2 brothers) and each of us is on a new journey at this point in our lives -- life,job, house, health, kid changes, etc. i am going to start this and pass it on to each sister and keep it going. what a great way to keep us connected. i love this idea and i love the fact that you sent it to me. i so appreciate it.

Tammy, again thank you for everything you sent me. it is all so appreciated and i look forward to enjoying all the special things you chose for me. i especially want to thank you for your birthday wishes and your thoughts. i know you have had so much to deal with in the last few weeks and i should not have been a thought, but you did anyway, and i hold that dear to my heart.

i'm off to "journal".

with gratitude,
    earthly

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Well, my "birthday" month is coming to an end. It has really been incredible and I thank each and every one of you for your thoughtfulness and generosity. It was the most amazing thing to be showered with such kindness and beauty. My gardens are going to be the talk of the town because of what has been sent to me. It is going to be awesome once the weather warms up a bit to see everything in full bloom. I can hardly wait.

Ladies, I know your hearts and souls went into growing these wonderful plants that you sent; the fun gifts you chose for me and the wonderful homemade goodies. I even acknowledge the backbreaking hours spent planting before you even know of this swap and then the digging and separating, cleaning, labeling and packaging down to the amount of postage spent to send all these most appreciative birthday offerings. Im in awe of your generous spirit of giving and my heart is overjoyed being the recipient, and will be long into the future.

This has been a blast for me, I almost can't bear for it to end, but we know it must. I again thank you and look forward to continuing in this great swap. Jan, as I "pass the birthday torch (well actually pass the candle) to you; I can just say that you are absolutely going to love the fact when that first box arrives!

With a gracious heart, I thank you all for such a gratifying birthday month!

Sue, again another fantastic swap that you organized. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to participate.

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Earthly this has really been a great robin so far
    so good :))
    I just want you to know that for the ones who could
    not part take this month you must keep track , &
    that will be one box you will not have to send ok .

I'm going to start a new update for june birthday.
    but i would like for the others that still owe
    you a Birthday box to post here yet.
    or to send you or I an email .

I'm trully so Happy that you & mellen both Had a great
    month . I have just been planting seeds for 2 days
    now :)) just hope they will germinate for me . :))
    so that I will have allot more to share next year :))
    well hope your day goes well
    happy gardening all
    sue

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Hey everyone,

As we enter June, it's now time to celebrate PlantLadyJan.

I have marveled at the generosity of such wonderful garden swappers. Let's hope Jan has an incredible month as well.

I personally look forward to picking out the right things for you Jan.

Happy June!

earthly

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just wanted to post that 3 of our players that signed up
    for this robin were not very reliable players .

so I have taken their names off this robin .
    anyone wanting to take their place in this robin can do so by emailing me .

months that are open is aug, Nov, dec , if you can
    follow a few simple guidelines you can join our very
    happy club , NO WEEDS ALLOWED:

this is a birthday box with at lease 3 or more plants
    in a box and a nice gift. bulbs & seeds are excepted
    but must have live plants.

hope to hear from you today. or by friday
    need 3 players .
    sue

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago