Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

New:Incredible Edibles - April Big and Small swap!

sunnyk
14 years ago

Welcome to the APRIL BIG AND SMALL vegetable seeds swap!!

We will be swapping seeds of things that are either the Largest of their type - or the Smallest....

For example: The world record holder tomato, or tiny currant type tomatoes....Longest kind of cucumber, or tiniest snacker sized ones...biggest variety of Watermelon, or tiniest personal size melon. Or maybe try to pair up the largest and smallest of particular veggies, fruits or herbs...or anything incredibly edible.

Here are some of the details:

Partners assigned - Monday, April 12th

Deadline to send package - Thursday, April 22nd(Earth Day)

Please send your partner the equivalent of 6 full packets of seeds. If you are sending partial packs, you may need to send more than 6. Have fun with it, and good luck hunting down your Huge/Tiny varieties.

If you only grow in containers or have a small garden, this is good for you as well...your partner can hunt down only the smallest growing veggies, fruits and herbs for you.

If I've forgotten anything, or you have any questions, please don't be afraid to post them, or send me an email.

SunnyK

Donna

Comments (25)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hurray! I'm in!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Becky!! Welcome to the BIG and small swap.
    It is such a beautiful day here in the Northeast...or at least my section of the Northeast...that I have been out in the yard getting ready for Spring. I know I am pushing things, and there is still alot of cold weather to come, but hey when you get 60 degrees you take advantage LOL.

Donna

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I don't blame you at all Donna. If the silly work thing didn't get in the way, I'd be playing outside too. We've had beautiful weather, although they did say the "s" word for next week.

I've been looking forward to this swap for a long time. Can we still play if no one else signs up. I bought seeds yesterday for it. Dh is out of town until saturday night. So I might order more seeds.
    :)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure we can still play :)

And as for the "s" word, I hope you mean SUN LOL!!!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump! Just think about:
    Mexican Midget tomatoes
    Giant Belgium
    Giant Oxheart
    Jolly Elf
    Bambino
    Goliath Bush
    Green Giant
    Mammoth Melting Snow Peas
    Toi Choi Pak Choy
    Small Sugar Pumpkins
    Keystone Giant Peppers
    Mini Bells
    Big Bertha
    Giant Macaroni
    Mammoth leaf basil
    Giant Musselburgh leeks
    Minnesota Midget Melons
    Tom Thumb Lettuce
    Micro greens
    Miniature White cucumbers
    Dwarf anything
    and so on....
    and so on.....
    and so on.....

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Come on all of you lurkers!! There are so many seeds to try , YOU CAN GO BIGGEST....or you can go smallest, or you can MiX and MaTcH.

Plenty of time to sign up, and plenty more time to shop :)

Donna

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Or you can use your saved seeds from last season, or extras from packs you are using this season too . Just saying so that folks don't feel they have to put a lot of cash out for this one :).

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still Plenty of time to sign up to enjoy some tiny treats..

Or Giant delights....

Hope that this gets you all in the mood to swap some seeds :)

Donna

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump! Love the pictures Donna. I remember seeing some pictures from Alaska (but I don't remember where of course! Maybe Alaska State Fair pics.) of some huge cabbages and such they were able to grow. They still have a cool summer but have 20 hours of daylight during the summer. So cool weather crops do amazingly well.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Can we start a little early, Donna? Can we? Can We?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Please count me in! Some lucky person will receive some Mucho Nacho Jalapeno's from me (supposedly largest biggest hottest Jalapeno out there), along with some other cool veggies! =)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard tn_veggie_gardner!! I am looking forward to those Mucho Nacho's ...if it's you and me partnered! :)

And Becky, I was going to say yes...but it looks like we might get some more swappers :).

And if we don't I think we will do a three way swap. With me being swapper 1 and sending to swapper 2, swapper 2 sending to swapper 3, and then swapper 3 sending to swapper 1....hope that makes some sense LOL!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

bump

• opie12
    14 years ago

Ok, I've been lurking, I'm ready to join now! I don't have a whole lot of $$$ to put in, but I think I have some nice things that I can send my partner :-)

Melissa

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome to Opie12/Melissa...no need for big bucks ...home saved seeds are good, and splitting packs work too(plus you get to have a grow-along with your partner that way LOL)!!I am going seed hunting this weekend...if I can :)

So far our swap list is:
    Sunnyk/Donna
    BooBerry85/Becky
    tn_veggie_gardner /?
    Opie12/Melissa

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

tn_veggie_gardner = Steve :-)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hey! Glad we got some more players! I've been looking forward to this swap for a long time. Steve & Melissa, what veggies do you like to grow?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

boo: Everything! lol...I guess I don't grow many lettuces & things which most of the time require in-ground planting, so i'm mainly a container gardener who rents & doesn't want to loose any plants when he moves. =) This year i'm growing about 10 types of tomatoes (8 of which are heirloom), 9 types of peppers, a few herbs, a ton of flowers (mostly perennials), a bunch of fruits, and a ton of other stuff I don't remember right now. I've been wanting to make a list fo what i'm growing in 2010 & put it on my blog, but I haven't had time to yet. I linked the blog below. I hope to get an updated post on there with some pics & that list I mentioned this weekend. =)

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Enjoyed looking at the pics, Steve. I don't have anything in the ground yet here. We actually had a few flakes of snow today. So it was nice to see someone else's spring pictures.

• opie12
    14 years ago

I like to grow most anything, but tomatoes are my passion right now. I have over 200 tomato plants that seriously need to go in the ground, but my husband broke my tiller this past week :-(
    I also grow cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, cowpeas, okra, squash, corn, melons, and anything else I can get to grow! Well, the fam doesn't like radishes, so I leave those alone, and I didn't get any lettuce planted this year because I didn't have a garden spot ready....we just moved in Dec., so I am having to start a new space....there was no existing garden plot here....but the good news is I have PLENTY of room and even have another plot almost ready at my grandad's place....he tilled up a spot for me, thinking I would never be able to get this here ready, so I am planning on putting my cowpeas over there.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For anyone lurking....there are still a few more hours to join :)

I will post partners either late tonight or tomorrow morning !

Donna

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Donna: Sent yours out today.

- Steve

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steve...please let me know when you get my package...I am getting worried about it because the Pepper swap package was sent at the same time as yours and that one made its destination a few days ago. The mail makes me nervous LOL!!

Donna

PS- cant wait to see what you sent :)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I forgot to post that I did receive your package, on Friday I think. Thanks - Steve

I only sent you 5 packs of seeds, but two of them are rare quite sought after types of a certain veggie. =) Hope you like them.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I am so glad they made it. I hope there is at least something in there that you can use...or swap for something that you want :)

And 5 packs is plenty!! I have so many seeds that I really shouldn't do these swaps anymore...but I love them so I cant keep myself away. Plus the folks that I have met thru the swaps are all so much fun :)Thank You(in advance) !!