Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #7

Posted by markcase1964 7 Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 21:12

We have filled 6 threads! Here we go for another one.

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.
This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)
Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)
Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)
Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)
Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)
Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #7

I will be starting to pack up the plants in the propagator on Friday...they will go into the moistened soil-less mix that I am using. They have already been dipped in rooting hormone and I hope some have started to root but it really hasn't been all that long. I have to work 12 hour shifts on Sat and Sun and will take and pack all other cuttings on Monday morning. These will either be at the post office late Monday or the very first thing on Tuesday. I will send priority mail and post the DC number after shipping. I cannot believe it is finally almost here! I am so excited...between the birthday seed celebration in Feb and this one I could just pee my pants!!!

Kim

o
bamboo

Mark I wasn't sure if I wanted bamboo but I decided I would like a small start if available. I will plant like the horseradish in a bucket in the ground...do you think this will contain it? If not then I don't have space for bamboo. Kim

o

Request:
Mark -
Green Spider - 1
**Could I get the green spider plant instead of the var. (or both if you have enough)
bamboo - 1

I sent you an email with a couple changes on the spreadsheet.

Request:
Could I get one of the cecelia-d iris I am not sure what it looks like as I can't find it when googled... I found one that had a similar name it was white with purple edging is this the same one?

Tammy

o

Kamil....thanks for sundew.

Zinary....Are there any Iris left? If so may I have one?

Angelady.....do you still have any of your mystery Iris available?

Has anyone got any of the blue Iris that walk's??? It flowers with tiny blue orchids like blooms that then develop into fans on the stalks that fall over and root thus "walking". Would very much like to find a couple of them.

Can't believe we are almost to the end of our swap.....this has been great and will be exciting to see all the new cuttings arrive.

Regina

o

Hey, Mark! You're doing a great job with the database you sent us. I think I see some things I could send back for corrections, but I don't think I have the most recent one. Could you send me the most recent one when you get a chance? I would hate to say something needs added if you already show it as being added on the up to date one. KWIM?

Kim - You're hilarious! Get excited, girlfriend! I'm getting very excited, too, but also nervous....

I'm going to start getting everything ready that I can right now. I don't want to take a chance of not being able to do it all on Sunday. I hope to mail on Monday. I know we all have to get out stuff there on a pretty tight schedule or things can't go back out at the right time and quickly, which is very important of course!

After I mail, I'm going to be getting everything ready here for what will be making it's way back to me! That will be one very exciting package to open! :-D

Blessings,
Angela

o
Re: UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #7

Regina - Sure, I'll send some in for you! :-)

Blessings,
Angela

o

Wow it's almost over :( but it has been so much fun getting to know everyone and learning so much! I so enjoy swaping with everyone :) Thank you so much everyone for all of your kind offers!

Missed most of the posts today so had to go back through. I've checked all requests and I have everything that has been asked for or reminded today :)

Have a great day and take care,

Toni

o

Chris (grolikecrazy) - May I have one more cutting of each of the grapes you offered, a Joseph's coat climbing rose, comfrey, Chrysanthemum koreanum 'Sheffield', and loveage, please?

Kim (plant-one-on-me) - I think I've asked for these a couple times before, but to be sure, may I please have some Manchurian Bush Apricot? :-D

Okay, I'll stop here until I get the updated list from Mark. I don't want to cause you double your work asking for things I think I've already asked for. I'm sorry if I was looking at too old of a database and asked for something more than once.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela, I already had you down for the apricot. Yeah I am getting excited! And a little nervous...I want everyone to be happy with what I am sending. Kim

o

I know. I too am verrry excited. I had dh go out yesterday to buy me a bag of peralite for rooting the ones that haven't been rooted and got my hormone powder out. I am keeping my fingers crossed on my irises I offered because as of right now I can't get to them they are under a bunch of snow/ice. (If i can't get them up before time to send I will send them to you each you in the next swap) BUT I think I should be able to get them by then.

most everything else I already have inside and rooting for you all.

Mark - Could you also send me an updated spread sheet as I am not sure if I was looking at the newest either... I sent you some changes and am sorry if they were already on the new one. I didn't think it might be an older version when I was looking at it(sorry if that was the case)

I would like to request four other things I missed that i would like I think there still available...

rosepetal - 2 Acidanthera bulbs

Angelady - 1 Epipremnum aureum.

grolikecrazy - 1 bougainvillea Double pink

Patti - Snowball bush - 2 (If noone else takes your offers for the snowball bush could I up mine to 2 I really like these)

And rosepetal if someone else would like the dahlia uniwin I just got a pack of seeds for them and am starting them now (I actually have sprouts and am sooo excited)

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful items this has been the most awesome swap ever. I will not be adding anything else to my swap list so you can finalize my list mark ;-) I am officially done.

Once you send out the final version I will take a look and let you know if everything looks u-t-d

YOU HAVE DONE AN AWESOME JOB!

o
oops forgot the list my corrections...

These were the corrections I sent Mark to the spreadsheet. I just thought I should post them here also in case I was wrong about recieving them but I think I requested these items already. If I am wrong please let me know...

Dirt:
Potato - Blue
Potato - Red
Fingerling
Cal. Garlic
Stevia - 3 (I had requested another to send to Fran)
Corkscrew willow (Thought I requested 2)

Kamil:
Canna - Bonfire

grolikecrazy:
Double mock orange

Poisiondart:
Walking stick: 2 (think I requested 2)

English shrub rose - golden zest

Plant one on me:
5 in 1 apple
Apricot

Gardenmom2
Clematis
dark purple butterfly bush

o

Wow, it is hard to believe this swap is almost done. It seemed to go really fast. I will have to apologize to everyone, the cuttings I send with the exception of the confederate rose, will not be rooted. I wasn't able to cut some of them and get them in and I never got to build my propagator. I will do better in the summer swap, I promise. thanks, Linda

o

Zinaray- Can I have 2 of the fall crocus, a bag or narcissus and a bag of daffodils?

I have a thought....I was wondering if we could set a date for final offers like Friday maybe? So then we can all get the updated and final spread sheet, this way we dont forget to send something.

I think the snow will melt just in time to mail!!!!

I have a problem....well an offer I have possible grape hyacinths up for grabs, but I dont know which of the bulbs they are! You see...they are not blooming yet but their leaves stay green year around etough little guys....and they are planted with the Stars of Bethlehem and their leaves are starting to come up, so I have unlimited of them but there is a (tiny) chance they can be something else.

NEW OFFER:
Unlimited (POSSIBLE) Grape Hyacinths, at at least 15 per trade.

Kamil

o

Linda and everyone, mine won't be rooted, either. I have my rooting powder, but I had those gnats that I've tried to get under control and just now am starting to. I didn't want to pass that on in this swap, so was trying to get rid of them without chemicals.... ANYWAYS, I am sorry that I didn't root the cuttings, but they will be properly packaged and have rooting hormone powder on them within seconds of being cut. The only one that won't have rooting powder is the Dragon Fruit. It has aerial roots and roots easily so shouldn't need it.

BTW, the "Mystery" plant is not a mystery any longer... The first bloom on them opened today, and without a doubt, it is absolutely IS an Iris! Here's a picture of what the bloom looks like:

I saw some references that it could be Iris kashmiriana. Here's a picture of the whole plant:

Blessings,
Angela

o

Kamil - I sure wouldn't mind some grape hyacinths... Thanks! And, I just want to be sure about the emails where we were discussing the Star of Bethlehems from your offer on the seed exchange before. Did you put me down to send those in this swap instead? I just wasn't sure what we ended up deciding? I do still want them, though!

Blessings,
Angela

o
Iris

Toni (zinaray) - after seeing this Iris blossom, I am totally sold out! These are beautiful, drought tolerant, and the leaves stay green year round for me! If you don't mind, could you please send me a few extras of different ones you have that haven't been claimed. I'd love to have some named varieties to see different kinds of blooms than just the one variety that I have. I'm not going to be picky about what you send. Any of the ones you have an extra of would be fine.

Blessings,
Angela

o

greenthumbgrow, you got 2 iris cecelia-d and brother carl a white iris you ask for
ladygreensleeve,you got cecelia-d and olympic challenger
kamiljablo, you already have fall crocus and narcissus i added another fall crocus[2] and daffodils
the iris are all taken
Toni

o

My cuttings will not be rooted either, but will be Rootone'd (lol) well and in damp shipping materials. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Kamil ~I'd love some of the grape hyacinths!

Mark ~ Curious to know if it'd be ok for me to email the directions of how to care for the various items I'm sending in instead of sending in the pkg directly to the recipients. I don't have access to a printer right now and have really crummy handwriting..lol Pls let me know if that'd be ok.

It's warming up here! Supposed to be 75 by Friday, I can't wait to get out in the yard!!

~Wendy

o

Kamil - I would love some grape hycin.

zinary - Thanks for the
white iris and cecelia-d

I don't mind unrooted cuttings. I have all my supplies ready to go. ;-) With the exception of the grafting wax/glue I have to find some of that sooon.

Tammy

o

I am EXCITED. OK question. Does rooting powder go bad? I always dump out some and use that way, but it is old,so I am wondering if I need a new bottle before this weekend???? If so, I don't remember where I bought mine, o where is it???? Does Lowes have it??? Thanks for your help.

o
wally world

I got mine at wally world bought it last year but the exp. date says its good till 2010. Does yours have an exp. date, you may wanna look if you haven't it may still be good.

Oh guys you all just don't know HOW excited I am. I can't wait to start getting all my cuttings in the soil.

I am soooo excited about my seeds I planted also. I have sprouts all over my upstairs living room (I call it my sun room) I got spring fever sooo bad and its just getting worse with all this snow we got.

Tammy

o

Angela- I have not forgotten!!! Its kinda hard to dig up the bulbs cause the ground is kinda frozen and theres 5 inches of sow on them.

....this is kinda random but I was watching a Purdue chicken commercial and I found out that chickens are fed marigolds...who knew!!! Which reminds me I have some marsh marigolds (Kingcups) to offer about 10 offers, they are just starting to come up now.

Kamil

o

HUH? Chickens are fed Marigolds? That's interesting, but chickens will eat just about anything you toss their way. We used to raise them...and we also hatched our own each year. We used to have Easter Egg chickens along with australorps - black chicken that lays brown eggs. Our Arachanas would lay eggs in many colors like blue, green and pink eggs.

o

I was able to get to my daughter's today and took some prunings on the plum and apricot. Looks like I need to go back to get some 5 in 1 apple for greenthumb...anyone else?

Also greenthumb, did you get me down for the colored potatoes? If you have any left I REALLY want potatoes and am willing to beg!

Jordan and I had a lot of fun today! We tapped 2 maple trees so we can try to make our own syrup. I know we won't get much but if we are successful, I will approach a few neighbor's next year to see if I can tap their trees as well. I put a couple pictures on my blog and will update as we continue to collect and make syrup. I also found a couple recipes for maple candy and maple butter and if I get enough will try these as well. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

o

Many times caged birds are fed marigolds to help give more color to the yolk. In free range or grazed chickens, you get the color naturally b/c they eat grass an bugs and weeds. The chlorophyll in the grass colors the yolk and so does the blood/protein in bugs. I have spoken with others around my area who rais hens for eggs and they occasionally feed them but b/c the hens like them. Some wll feed them to the meat birds as well b/c it give thefat a nice yellow color.

Thanks for your help on the rooting hormone. I will look at the bottle and see.

Nichol

o

Kim - I think I asked for a cutting of the apricot, if not, and you have enough, may I have one? Thank you

I had no idea that Marigolds had any effect on the yolks of the hens eggs. Our chickens were free roaming so their eggs were always to the orange side. Just goes to show you, you never stop learning lol :)

o

plant one - i didn't have the colored potatos that was dirtdiggin. I do have yukon gold and potamic if you would like those? let me know so I can add you if you do.

o

HI All, Got in REAL late. I will catch up on everything tomorrow... Sorry. LONG< LONG< LONG day at school and then church. Then a small friend of the family emergency. they had a car wreck. No one seriously hurt, but I have all their kids for the night. I just settled down.

Mark

o

lol Kim,

I had you down for the colored potatoes and you don't have to beg ;)

Sorry, I didn't see my name and completely skipped over it.

o
RE: Accident....

Mark - That's frightening...I hate car wrecks. Glad nobody was seriously injured. I'm sure they will be sore tomorrow though. Sounds like you have your hands full but you're good with kids. Take care.

o

Thanks angelady and zinaray for the Irises, really appreciate them...

Mark....glad to hear your friends are ok, was really kind of you to look after the kids for the night too, I'm sure they really appreciate your help and kindness.

I had chickens once and anytime I wanted to defoliate the property I would let them roam, before the day was done anything once that was green and growing was now long gone. Bugs,snakes,grass,plants,nothing was left but fat sassy chickens!

Regina

o

Mark , what a kind friend you are to be there when needed.

plant-one -on-me , How would you cut the 5 in 1 apple , just a tip from each graft, i have 2 5 in 1 aplle trees planted last year so very small, I was able to get just two cuttings out of the 2, if you are taking cuttings from each type on each tree i would also love to have 1 of every type you have.

kamil i would love to have 15+ Grape Hyacinths and some marsh marigolds.

These questions were never answered and they are important to me so i know how to proceed in packing my cuttings to you:
1. All the cuttings have been planted for rooting for a couple of weeks now, but if , when I gently wash the end of them covered in soil, and discover that the roots have not developed yet, I should just wrap the cleaned cuttings carefully in damp newpapers and send them to continue rooting with you Right??, as is , no need to cut the bottom off for a fresh cut RIGHT??
2. In packaging the cuttings:Would it be best, to save space and time if we pack each of the types of cuttings together and you parcel them out to each person? Or,packing all the cuttings for each person in his/her own bag?

I know I took cuttings of plants that were not offered previously that I can't remember and can't see thru the beaded tent what they are and they made it, I know i had some hardy magnolias,italian plums,apricot, a collection of unnamed heirloom roses from my friend's grand mother's garden (she can't remember they names, but said that every passerby are always very impressed by them), I have tons of elderberry cuttings rooting too, I wish someone else has elderberry to offer since it needs cross polinnation from another elderberry cultivar, although i have no idea what king i have. I also have a few hydrangea cuttings that might not be on the spread sheet. and a few other things like candy tuft and rosemary, I'll know for sure once I start washing the cuttings checking for root growth and packaging them. Before i close the box I'll post one last time for those. Chris

o

Kamil - I would LOVE some
Marsh Marigold

Chris - I would love any extra roses you would want to send my way;-) Just starting my first rose garden.

Thanks everyone!

Tammy

o

If anyone does have a couple of rose cuttings, may I please have some. Hubby wants to start a small rose garden and I want to plant daylilies around his garden.
Thanks, Linda

o
oops

grolikecrazy - I think I got mixed up I think You had offered me cuttings of your 5 in 1 not plant one on me?
If I am wrong please let me know. I don't remember anymore whos was whos. sorry about that. (Of course I don't mind if you both want to send as I would put them on the tree but I didn't mean to do that)

Thanks,
Tammy

o

Kim / plant-one-on-me, That is so cool you tapping the trees to make homemade syrup! My SO keeps trying to talk me into going to VT someday and have that feast where EVERY darn thing they give you they expect you to pour maple syrup over..lol HE puts it on his fried chicken.. I just can't seem to get past that..lol I'm just a simple girl I guess.. I just like it on my waffles n pancakes! :P

I would love some of the 5 in 1 cuttings.. I wasn't going to at first.. but darn you keep mentioning it.. I really want to try now..lol

All this talk of raising chickens too.. getting me awfully tempted, I do love fresh eggs. However I'm quite sure my 2 labs would go at them constantly... they sure do go after the Canadian Geese! They actually start drooling they wanna get them so bad!

Thankyou!
Wendy

o

Chris -

I think on your first question, yes, you would send it anyways, even if it's not rooted yet. I would wrap it like any other cutting you'd send in.

On your second question, I'd like to see Mark's response, but I had the impression that we would package everything to an individual ahead of time. I bought green mesh bags for this purpose so that I could easily put everything I had for each person in each mesh bag. Mark's job is going to be rushed as it is to get everything out to everyone, so I didn't want him to have to distribute everything for me. I thought he could just pull out the mesh bag with the person's name on it and put it in their outgoing box.

I see also that you may have some Italian plums to share? If so, I'd love some of those.

Mark - I hope the family you're helping is alright now. It sure it great of you to step in like that. I'll be praying for them....

As for the chicken discussion, I'd dearly LOVE to have 5 hens. We're allowed five being in the city limits and all. Oh, I think I'd love having even one since I don't have ANY right now! I just got two rabbits. We're really excited about them, and they're already producing lots of poo for my garden! LOL

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela ~ I've been debating getting another rabbit myself.. just for it's poo contributions.. LOL But .. what do you do with it during the winter?? I guess they can handle it, wild ones do after all.. but if it's in a hutch up on legs.. just curious how much they have to be insulated since it's not like they can get down in a rabbit hole..

~Wendy

o

Linda,
I should be able to add a few rose cuttings for you. I need to prune them this weekend when I start to pack things up. Now, just hope I can remember - I am writing a note to myself. LOL
Jeanne

o

Wendy - Well, I really do not know. I've only had these rabbits for less than a week. The lady who gave them to me kept them outside in their cages covered with blankets. I don't know what I'll do quite yet. They have fur and I can protect their cages outside in winter... I think I'm more concerned with the summer heat....

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela, I don't think we need to separate them out by participant as shipping like items together will get them there more safely. I believe that is why Mark has the team of extra hands, to package them all to each person. I know with the cuttings, I can't package them seperately and ensure they will arrive moist and ready for rooting. Not only that, I figured I would ship heavier items together and lighter items together in order to possibly save on shipping. Heavy items in a lg flat rate and light items in a regular priority box. Don't know yet how that will work out, but it sounds good anyway ;) I'll be sending a printout of my version on the items requested from me with my box(es).

Please Mark, don't tell me we need to put them in seperate packages for each participant...please please pleast lol.

o
RE: Chickens....

Angela - If you decide to get hens, keep in mind that the eggs are far better for you if fertile. You probably can't have a rooster due to restrictions. But in choosing hens, choose the better layers. Two VERY good layers are Bardrocks (black/white speckled or striped) and Australorps (solid black). I love the black hens that have the rainbow colors in their feathers when the sun hits them and they are very sweet tempered hens. We've found that the bardrocks are a bit nasty and peck where the australorps don't. Australorps are also a very good multi purpose chicken, if you're up to that end of things. We raised our own meat chickens too as well as Turkeys. Ohh a fresh free range turkey mmmmmmmm!!! No comparison to store bought or even organic poultry.
They don't lay forever and on average, lay about 290 eggs per year. 5 would probably give you a dozen and a half - two dozen eggs per week. Sometimes you would end up with 35 eggs per week, but would average out far less. Chickens almost ALWAYS molt (stop laying eggs) during the holidays. Of course when you most need the eggs. What we used to do is start saving eggs after Thanksgiving and store in a cold set refrigerator - Heck the store bought eggs are typically over 6 weeks old, so they'd still be fresh compared.

Anyway, if you decide to get chickens and have any questions, please feel free to ask. I've raised them since I was about 6 years old. We've had Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Arachanas, Banties, Coachins, Australorpes, Bardrocks, Langshans, Silkies, Cornish Cross and a number of others. Anyway, they are pretty easy maintenance if you decide to have them.

o

Wow, Toni! You sure know your chickens! LOL! I will absolutely keep you in mind for questions, girl! I didn't realize one kind was much different than another in quantity of eggs that it lays... very interesting... based on what you've said, I'll probably start looking into Australorps.

Interesting, Toni, on the packaging... I didn't realize it would be harder to package them separately. You are sending a whole lot more in than I am, though. I just figured it wasn't much different to separate them out per participant than to do them in the box however without separation. I certainly might change my take on that when I get to actually packing it up on Sunday. It's funny how that happens... LOL... I'm glad to see you respond to that question like I did, or I might not have thought about there being a different perspective on it. I really can't wait to see what Mark says now! LOL

Blessings,
Angela

o

Whew! VERY chatty group. I love it.

Thanks for the prayers and concerns for my friends. The kids stay at 'Uncle Mark' about once a month, so last night was not a shock to the kids. Cary got out of the ER about 11:30 last night. Nothing serious, but they wanted to check him out. Their car is totaled. We had to rush around and help them out, so I appreciate everyone's patients and prayers.

Ok, the questions:
1. All the cuttings have been planted for rooting for a couple of weeks now, but if , when I gently wash the end of them covered in soil, and discover that the roots have not developed yet, I should just wrap the cleaned cuttings carefully in damp newpapers and send them to continue rooting with you Right??, as is , no need to cut the bottom off for a fresh cut RIGHT??

Correct. No need to make a fresh cut. You might want to redust with the hormone and wrap with the damp newspaper or paper towel. That will be perfect.

2. In packaging the cuttings:Would it be best, to save space and time if we pack each of the types of cuttings together and you parcel them out to each person? Or,packing all the cuttings for each person in his/her own bag?

I am fine with either way. some of us are VERY OCD and organize everything to the Nth degree. If you are that way, then by all means, bag your items by the person they are going to.

If you are not that way, as long as you have ID'd what you are sending, I will match up what you sent with what someone requested. It will be a simple matter as long as things are ID'd. Go down the spreadsheet, put items with names.

don't stress out! Do what is easiest for you!

Please email me your address so I can load them into the post office database. It will make things go much faster.

Now, as far as the summer swap... we will discuss very soon.

Thank you all for letting me host. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have.

Mark

o

Ok Mark I guess I am one of the OCD people. I took my 2x3 seed baggies and placed some seedling starter inside and wet it down. I then took the cuttings and placed them by the different type of plant into the individual baggies and labeled them to, from and name of plant. Yeah OCD to the Nth LOL....this is also why I work in the intensive care unit...OCD is very helpful when you gotta look at all the details.

Dirtdiggin, I already have you down for the apricot

grolikecrazy, I will take a cutting off each branch of the 5 in 1 so hopefully you get all 5.

Wendy I added you for the apple's also.

greenthumb, yes please add me for the potatoes

Angela, check out gardengirltv.com's message board. We have an incredible chicken expert who will personally answer all your questions. He even writes articles for the Mother Earth News magazine. Fred is wonderful and so very helpful.

Guess what??? I got almost 5 gallons of sap from my 2 maple trees in just 2 days! I am plan on doing my first boil down on Monday after I mail out the swap unless I have time tomorrow...I cannot wait to see if I can get even just a little syrup. Kim

o

I guess 35 years makes me a novice.

We will be away most of the weekend getting things in order to ship, so I'll check back later. Take care all :)

o

Thank you for answering my questions you all!
I will send mostly fresh cuttings with plant ID tag made out of window blinds cut in half and 1-1/2" long, or plastic ribbon(the kind that trees are tied with to mark them for cutting down)
About the rooting hormone let me post an articcle that was sent to me by a rose anthusiast: http://texasroserustlers.com/articles/starting.html

o

Toni, I'm sorry to imply you don't know enough about raising chickens. I have this intense desire to read and learn as much as possible about things such as gardening and raising my own food...I was simply trying to steer Angela in a direction for even more information. I would consider you an expert also with 35 years of raising chickens. Fred is also a breeder and is certified and could point her in a direction on a lot of breeds you both may or may not be familiar with...anyway sorry if I offended. Kim

o

It is so hard to keep up with this thread. You guys are REAL chatty. I will also try to get everything ready this weekend and ship out the beginning of the week.

All this talk about chickens makes me want to raise them again. There was an article in the newspaper today about them and which ones were best to raise for eggs. I have raised: Araucanas, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Cochins, New Hampshire Reds, Black Australorps, Silkie Bantams, The crested Breeds and Meat Birds like Cornish Game Hens. The article said that the top bird for eggs is a BLACK SEX LINK CALLED BLACK STAR. These are chickens that they can tell the sex when they are hatched by their feather colors. I have never raised a Black Star but it may get me out of Chicken Raising Retirement.

Angela, If you ever need help deciding which breed to go with, or just general info you can always email me. I LOVE to talk Chickens. Between Toni and I, we have over 70 years of experience. I am sure one of us can answer it. If you want them strictly for eggs, stay away from the Broody Breeds like the Silkies. All they want to do is hatch baby chicks. I always liked the Heavy Breeds, the Leghorns are too high strung for me. Anyways, good luck. They are loads of fun. The roosters especially. They are free entertainment. HA!

Nancy

o

OH, my heavens! GUESS WHAT? I just made arrangements for my first hen! We have a local buy/sell/trade group that this offer came across for $5. I have no idea what kind of hen she is, other than orangy colored game hen... LOL... I am elated, though... this will help me get my feet wet on chickens! I'll start with just this one, but after I've had a chance to get used to raising a hen, I will then get a real egg-laying hen or 4 (as the limit here in the city is 5 chickens). Thanks so much for all the tips/help/suggestions on hens. I may need help soon on identification. It looks like I'm in good company for that. :-)

Okay... I'm off to finish my chicken coop! YEA!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Congrats Angela!!! :)

I'm digging up an old bed of my moms and it has alot of these lil green things... LOL They look like Iris blades but I can't be 100% certain as I don't remember seeing the flowers before.. But if anyone is interested I have 6 trades of 4 bulbs each.. mystery Iris maybe kinda things..

:P

~Wendy

o

Are we going to get an updated spreadsheet with how much and what we are to send. I am afraid I won't remember it all and don't want to mess up. I will do my best, but was just wondering.

o

Wendy - I'll take 4 of the mystery bulbs... I can't wait to see what they are already! hee hee

Nichol - Yes, Mark is working diligently to get it updated. He should be sending it out to us all soon... In the meantime, I'm digging up everything and introducing my chicken to the family... :-D

Blessings,
Angela

o

What'everybody doing? I wanted to take all my cuttings tomorrow but then if I wanted to have things prepped and tagged and packed and post them before 4pm , that might be impossible to do
Maybe the best thing to do is, start tomorrow, take the whole week end to do get everything done, I'm planning on all day saturday, late into the night, rest on the sabbath day, and start like crazy after midnight if needed to finish things up and post early morning. Is that the best plan? My husband thinks that even if the package was mailed by saturday afternoon before closing , the package would be still be waiting at the post office til monday morning anyway before being shipped, is he right?
did anyone go check the link i gave on the rooting hormone article in my last post?
It's quite eye opening, and I 'm leaning towards it more and more, that the powder seem too strong for the cuttings, seems to burn them, the article gives a great alternative to the powder. I'll prepare the rooting pussy willow tea the day before Mark sends our packages out, it's good for 3 days.
How is everybody planning to root their cuttings? I'm very scared to do it , I don't want to loose any.
I have styro cups 5 " x 5 " accross, fill them with 50% plain potting mix and 50% perlite, maybe vermiculite would be better,or is spagnum moss better in clear plastic cups to see the roots easier (might be more expensive to buy the spagnum moss)
Is this mix good for all cuttings we are receiving or do we have to make dif mix for dif cuttings?
And , would it be safe to have them tented in a clear garbage liners and taken outside to root with my WS-ing seeds containers? Chris

o

I had read on a post about rooting the cuttings in florist foam. It is supposed to hold water well and stay damp andallow the roots to grow????? I bought some but have not used it. ??? I am like Chris, how is everyone planning on proceeding when you get your box????

o

Kim, I love your tip about putting the cuttings in the little baggies. I have always wrapped them with paper towels and press n seal wrap, but I like your idea better. They wouldn't weigh near as much.

Mark, thanks so much for doing this swap, it has been awesome fun.

I am taking my cuttings this weekend and will have them ready to mail by monday.

When I get them back, I will put them in forsythe pots or sand. I can't wait! I am so excited.

o

When I have success rooting things I root in course builder's sand and keep it moist. I guess that's what I will do with my new cuttings unless someone gives me other instructions specific to what they are sending.
I am interested to see what that I potted - if anything - has roots. I have tugged gently a few times and gotten resistence, but none have been taken out and inspected. I will be disappointed if nothing has rooted, but at least the stems still look healthy on those that were cut. Other cuttings will be taken tomorrow to be packaged and sent either Monday afternoon or Tuesday moring.
This weekend is nice and sunny. It rained all last weekend so I am thankful I was not taking cuttings then.
Jeanne

o

Well here's how it's going so far....
Have Potatoes Cut and drying
Have Iris bulbs packed
Have Seeds packed
Have both types of blackberries dug and packed
Have both types of garlic packed
Have j-chokes packed
Have asparagus packed

One box is pretty well full and the cuttings will probably take a full box - so it may take three...but we'll see. The cuttings should be pretty light, so I'll figure if regular priority will be cheaper than flat rate.

Have to pack stevia - lol wait til you see how I'm doing it :) I'm marking them by batch, so there are three batches meaning cut and rooted at different times. Some need really LONG baggies to hold them several are ready to take cuttings from.

DH and I will be going out today and tomorrow to dig strawberries and get the last of the cuttings (kiwis, grapes, sugar plum and corkscrew willow and apple cuttings). And have to dig some Ivy and I think that's it.

May send a small sample of our fresh blackberry brandy for the Host :) Are ya game Mark? lol

Have a great weekend and take care,

Toni

o

I use the builders rough sand as well Sandlapper. I've found it works wonderful w/ very lil maintenance..lol I just keep it in dappled shade. Many sources say no light at all, but I've always had great success with the bucket or tub of sand directly under a tree. :)

This is going to be a great experiment for all of us I think. I really am looking forward to reading and SEEING everyone's results from this swap!! :)

I'll be doing all my cuttings tomrrow!

~Wendy

o

Toni,

Send away! I'd love to try it!

The updates spreadsheet should be on it's way in the hour. LOTS to double check and I am SURE, VERY VERY SURE I have not gotten them all.....

I am doing the best to keep it straight! Please forgive me on any mistake I am making!

Mark

o

Oh my we just returned back from getting cuttings. We were rained on, snowed on, hailed on and now that we're back home, it's sunny! LOL go figure :)

I don't recall who all wanted the cuttings of plum for scion wood. But I'm sending 6 pcs. They won't have rooting hormone, just wrapped in moist paper towels.

The apples will be the same way and I recall those were for greenthumbgrow-Tammy.

We have wild daffodils here and we found the most amazingly huge hillside that is just loaded with them. Of course they are 5-6 inches tall at the moment, but not blooming yet. If anyone would like some, we dug a bunch to relocate to our front yard.

Have almost everything complete. Will dig strawberries tomorrow and get apple cuttings and everything will be done YAY!! :)

o

Dirt I would love some of your daffodils. That woudld be great.

I looked at the spreadsheet and found a few more things I would love to request if they can be added on please:

Mark- dusty miller if you still have it
dirt-one of each of your potatoes and stevia
sassyb-dafodils, weeping willow (couple), privets (as much as you can), pine seedling
CottageFlower-any of your roses, lantana-roted, jade and currant, 2 of each if you can
Zinaray-daffodils
Angelady-Jersey male asparagus-2 and 1 of ea potato
grolikecrazy-pussywillow-2 or 3, db mock orange, mullberry -male and female, 2 of each if you have them, forsythia-a couple and comfrey
greenthumb-1 of ea potato and 3 or 4 raspberry if you have them
luvgardening2-lemon balm, aloe, viburnum, canna ropical, rasp-2 and pink geranium
Patti1957- lilac, quince, violets, blckberry-as many as you can

I guess I did not keep up. Thanks. If you don't have these, that is ok. I just thought I would check the spreadsheet 1 last time and saw a few ofers still available.

Thanks. I hope everyone had great weather today. I am sooo sore. Too much laziness over the cold months.

Nichol

o
RE: UPDATE: Daffodils Potatoes Stevia

Nichol - Already have you down for 2-stevia and red, blue and purple potatoes. I'll put you down for some daffs :)

I'll be sending my version of the spreadsheet on the things I've offered, along with my package. I've tried to keep up with everything and it is quite a bit different than Marks. Bless his heart, he's been trying to keep up with everyone's lists but it isn't easy to just keep up on my things.

Wow GW is sure being slow and stubborn today. I keep getting messages that I'm not connected or the website is encountering problems...:(

Hope my above post didn't post twice.

o

Dirt, I agree GW is really screwy today. Posts are coming nearly an hour after I put them up. Then, emails a few hours after they were posted.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Mark

o

Well. I too am cutting tomorrow and packing/shipping Monday. I hope I get everything right. I am planning on send an extra of each of the ones that I have extras of just in case I missed someone.

Mark if the extras are not used just keep them or give them to your helpers.

Have a great night everyone!

BTW Mark the only thing I think missing on the spreadsheet for me is the Blue and Purple potato from Dirt coming my way;-) You are amazing! You Did a wonderful job.

Tammy

o

Mark, The spreadsheet looks great. thank you.

I saw a couple of things I thought I had asked for, but just in case can I possible add:

zinaray: Iris stairway to heaven and ruffled skirt

Poisondartfrog:
weigela florida variegata
english shrub rose golden zest.

Thanks. If it is too late to add them that is ok, but if not I would sure like to have them.

Linda

o

Mark, that speadsheet is amazing! The only thing missing for me is kiwi male and female from Dirt and dark purple butterfly bush from Cottageflower. You have done such a great job I don't know how you have kept up with it all!

Patti

o

Thank you for answering my question on what the types of medium you are planning to use.
So I guess most everyone will be rooting their cuttings outdoors in dappled shade, i also think that would be safer for the cuttings, as it is for the winter sown seeds, no damping off, no black rot, no aphids, no white flies, no mold, no root eating gnat larvae, more room in the house for sure.
Sand seem to be the preferred medium, I wonder if my sand pile would be suitable even when it is far from sterile, or if I have to go to home depot and buy bags of playsand, Hummm i wonder if they are sterile.
What type of containers do you use for your sand to root your cuttings in? I'm so out of containers , all being winter sown and all, I need ideas of containers that you've used before..
If there are no more container ideas, I could always make a 2'x 3' foot box out of 2x4's, no bottom just sides under my mock oranges.
Didn't make it to the postoffice after taking all my cuttings. They are wrapped and ready to go. I'll wait to cut the bougainvillea plants Monday just before I post the package.Comfrey is still invisible, they haven't emerged yet so must wait for the summer swap
Got the catnip though.
The tree which I thought was carob, i just got a pod from it, and on closer examination does not seem to be carob, it's not long enough, this pod only has 3 seeds and curved instead of straight. Sorry.
My candace grape is not doing well, the man who repaired our deck and replace the rotten planks i guess couldn't get to the posts he was replacing without removing the grape vines and climbing roses off, and in doing so, one grape vine's main branch was completely severed and just hanging there which means the whole top of it is dead dead! I didn't offer it because I hadn't foud its name yet( longish light green seedless grapes, very prolific and sweet). The Candace was also stripped off the post it was wound on ,and most of it is dead wood now, I took as much as I dared take.
I could only get to the female mulberry , as ground was too wet around the male one which is way too tall to reach without a ladder so I didn't dare.
Mark , this is so nice of you to do this swap for us. Thank you. Chris

o

Tammy, I have you down for all red, all blue, purple and a fingerling potato.

o

Okay, I think I finally went through everything in the spreadsheet. Here's some offers that didn't show up for me that I had requested:

dirtdiggin -
* Lorz Italian Red Garlic
* potato blue
* potato red
* potato purple

greenthumbgrow -
* Red Potamic Seed Potato

luvgardening2 -
* rooted fig

I didn't request this addition, but if it's not too late:

greenthumbgrow - I don't think I saw the raspberry offer you had, but I'd love some of these!

On my offers, I will go back through the potato, hybrid asparagus (ONLY asparagus I had up for offer), and Quinault strawberries. It appears very few requests are on the sheet even though I remember a lot of requests. I'm not at all blaming you, Mark, as you've done a fantastic job, okay? I just want to be sure that everyone who requested them gets them. I'm totally out of offers for these other than those who had already requested, but I do want to be sure that those who already requested them get them! I will post my offer list again soon when I get a chance so that you guys can double-check it for me. I have to go back through the posts to see if I have everyone down first. I'll do that tomorrow... it's pretty late, and I'm very tired.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela, I have you down for the colored potatoes, a fingerling potato and the two types of garlic.

So far, in taking cuttings here, the season is perfect. Nothing is budding out yet other than early bulbs. I'm sure it will only be a couple of weeks before they pop. The cuttings I took of kiwis and plum, when this swap began, had them in the house for a while and they are budding with green leaves already. So the technique works for them.

o

Dan you had your work cut out for ya that for sure! You did a great job too!!!

I found a few boo-boo's. This is what I found.

Kamil should have me down for Star of Bethlahem,White Dutch Iris,Garlic bulbs and a Sundew his choice.

Sassy shows a gardenia for me, but I think that is a mistake as I offered gardenia cuttings as well.

Gardenmom should have me down for a clematis and the butterfly bush

Zinary should have me down for cecelia-d and olympic challenger Iris's.

I think thats it.....like I said, you did a wonderful job keeping track of all of this. I would have gone nutz...oh wait...I already are.

Kim what was this "baggie" method of shipping the cuttings...I missed that somewhere. I do the wet paper towel cling wrap too. But always interested in learning new methods.

I have different ways of starting cuttings, depends on if it's hard wood cuttings or vines.Some I pot up and put out in the nursery to root. Almost all get covered in some manner for the greenhouse effect. Some are put in a propagator. And I use different growing mediums. Spagnum,peat,soiless mix,perlite.......

Regina

o

I have pretty much everything ready to go just 2 more things to complete my list...

NOTE: I did not offer the raspberry (I do not have any or I would) I am not sure who did offer it?

I am planing on doing three methods depending one what it is... I am useing the perlite, perlite soilless mix, and the wet foam(1st time trying this one) I also cover to create a greenhouse effect and I normally use 2 liter bottles. I found I have the best success with them. They all will be going in my greenhouse on the bottom shelf (for dappled shade)

I do the baggie method also, maybe a little different so am not sure if this is the same. But I normally takes a papertowel put a small amount of soil and wrap it around the cutting then damp it with water and put in a baggie with a twisty tie loosly to hold everything in place.

QUESTION:
OK I have never rooted roses and I see a lot of stuff on the net about it but would rather have the opinion of someone I know and trust. Have any of you ever rooted roses? If so what method did you have the best success at?

I was planning on useing the perlite/soiless mix in a 2 liter bottle with top for greenhouse effect.. Do you think that should work? (BTW - I have a GREAT success rate with this method for figs and tree cuttings) Please give me your best meth as I realllly want my roses to succeed.
Thanks
Tammy

o

Hello! Just wanted to let you all know we're having ourselves a "meeting" of fellow seed addicts in the Seed Traders Not-So-Anonymous Meeting thread. Stop on by for some fun! -Dan

o

Okay, I'm having the hardest time trying to see if I have everyone down for what they asked for. I have gone back through 2 threads, and I'm out of time. What I'm gonna do is post my list and hope you guys catch any mistakes. Please, let me know right away if you see any mistakes. I can't believe the timing of this, but yesterday I got that stupid flu that I had for over a month in Jauary... So, I'm out digging up stuff feeling like crap. I really hope I'm feeling better tomorrow because I sure didn't get done what I needed to today because I felt too bad to get out of bed. Uggggh....

THINGS I'M SENDING IN:

kamiljablo
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* Kennebec seed potato
* + any extra potatoes not accounted for
* Purple Iris

sassybutterfly_2008
* pink 4:00 tuber
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* Yukon Gold seed potato

plant-one-on-me
* indestructible houseplant
* Yukon Gold seed potato
* Kennebec seed potato
* Strawberry - Quinault
* 2 yr roots of Jersey Hybrid (all-male) Asparagus

ladygreensleeves
* indestructible houseplant
* Dragon Fruit (when available)
* Purple Iris

zinaray
* Crepe Myrtle - Velma's Royal Delight
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* peach Gladiolus
* Dragon Fruit
* Yukon Gold seed potato
* Kennebec seed potato
* Strawberry - Quinault

greenthumbgrow
* Kennebec seed potato

markcase1964
* peach Gladiolus
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* Dragon Fruit
* Kennebec seed potato
* Strawberry - Quinault
* Purple Iris

grolikecrazy
* peach Gladiolus
* crassula lycopoidiodes
* Dragon Fruit (if enough, extra request 2)
* Indestructible, variegated houseplant (Epipremnum aureum)
* Kennebec seed potato
* Pink 4:00 tuber (if enough, extra request 3)
* Strawberry - Quinault
* Yukon Gold seed potato

dirtdiggin
* Dragon Fruit
* Strawberry - Quinault
* Purple Iris

sandlapper_rose
* Dragon Fruit
* Yukon Gold seed potato
* Kennebec seed potato

gardenmom2
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* pink 4:00 tuber (if enough, extra request 1)
* Yukon Gold seed potato
* Kennebec seed potato
* Strawberry - Quinault

cottageflowers
* Kennebec seed potato

patti1957
* Crassula lycopoidiodes
* Dragon Fruit (if enough, extra request 1)
* Indestructible, variegated houseplant (Epipremnum aureum)
* Pink 4:00 tuber (if enough, extra request 2)
* Strawberry - Quinault

Blessings,
Angela

o

Aww Angela, I'm sorry you don't feel well. We all just got over a nasty bug...DH and DS are just getting over it. Hope you're feeling better. The list of things for me looks good :) I didn't keep much track of what I asked for, just what I'm sending lol.

We just got back from cutting the last few items. So far I'm up to three boxes :o/ Can't stuff enough in two lol, so I'm making sure they are ALL heavy!! Gotta get my money's worth lol.

Well back to packaging. Stevia TP rolls lol, but they work GREAT!!! For anyone who receives the batch #3 cuttings, when you receive them, take them out, take the TP roll off and put the stevia back in the bag. Make sure it's VERY moist and keep it warm and in light. You'll see roots coming out the sides in about 2 weeks, then you can transplant them. The rest can just be potted in rich organic soil. Feed them some organic fertilizer every couple of weeks to a month. Batch 1 has been fed, but batch 2 can use it soon.

o

I started gathering and packing things today and will continue tomorrow and mail out on Tuesday morning.

greenthumbgrow, I started out having a hard time getting rose cuttings to root. Now I try to do more cuttings and get maybe a 25% success rate. (That was not good when I took only one cutting, but it's not too bad if you can take several.) What I do is dip the end in rooting hormone, put coarse sand in a small plastic pot (the kind you buy small plants in) and wet the sand good. Poke a hole, insert the cutting, and firm up the sand around the stem. From there, just keep it pretty moist. In the summer I dig a hole in a shady spot and bury the pot up to the rim. It helps to keep it moist so you are not out there watering multiple times a day. I do not use "sandbox sand" - it is not course enough. Although several times we have purchased builder's sand, I finally realized my ground soil is "sand" so I just use that most of the time now. It does not need to be sterile in my opinion. I have never covered or tented the cuttings because we usually have sufficient humidity and if they get too wet, they will begin to turn black. I almost always do my rooting in July and August, but I am trying different times of the year now. Roses tend to be slow to root using my method. You may not see any roots for 4 months or longer.
Jeanne

o

Angela, I am sorry that you aren't feeling well. DH has it and is very unhappy about it!

Chris, I am hoping to keep it at 2 boxes but I am not done yet! I will go back out and finish up in a minute.

Here is what I am sending in:

Angela - angelady

Quince, Valerian Root, Wild Blackberry, Lemon Balm, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Toni - dirtdiggin

Prickly pear cactus, Nelly Moser Clematis, Hen & Chicks, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Toni - zinarey

Nelly Moser Clematis, Hen and Chicks, Chives, Violets, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Chris - grolikecrazy

Prickly Pear Cactus, Nelly Moser Clematis, Valerian Root, Lilac, Hen& Chicks, Chives, Violets, Wild Blackberry, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian, Brandywine Sudduth's Strain

Nichol - gardenmom2

Prickly Pear Cactus, Rosemary, Hens and Chicks, Forsythia, Brandywine seeds, Wild Blackberry, Quince, Lilac, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Mark - markcase1964

Valerian Root, Rosemary, Lemon Balm, Hen and Chicks, Quince, Chives, Wild Blackberry, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Jeanne - sandlapper_rose

Snowball Bush, Quince, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Wendy - sassybutterfly 2008

Honeysuckle, Valerian Root, Lilac, Snowball Bush, Hen& Chicks

Tammy - greenthumbgrow

Nelly Moser Clematis, Snowball Bush, Hen & chicks, Brandywine Sudduths Strain, Valerian Root, Lilac,1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Nancy - luvgadening2

Wild Blackberry, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Kamil - Kamiljablo

Quince, Rosemary, Wild Blackberry, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Kim - plant-one-on-me

Prickly Pear Cactus, 1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Jenny - cottageflower

1 of each - Garlic - Oregon Blue, Purple Glazer, Chesnok Red and Silverskin Italian

Let me know if I forgot something or worse..... someone!

Having a lot of fun but will be relieved when the boxes are in the mail.

Patti

o

This is what I have for everyone. Please let me know if it's correct. I did not note multiples on this list, but I do have them down....

markcase1964 -
kiwis
pinot noir grape
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Asparagus
stevia
mammoth dill seed
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato
garlic - california white
garlic - lorz italian
j-choke
red-j-choke

sassybutterfly_2008-
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
Asparagus
stevia
sugar plum
garlic - lorz italian

kamiljablo-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
Alpine or wild strawberry
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
stevia
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato

ladygreensleeves-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
corkscrew willow
hollyhock seed

cottageflowers-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
Asparagus
stevia
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
all red potato

zinaray-
stevia
sugar plum
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
garlic - lorz italian

pattygrow5-
kiwis

ibartoo -
kiwis
sugar plum

angelady-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
stevia
sugar plum
wild ivy
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian

grolikecrazy-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
Asparagus
stevia
sugar plum
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian

plant-one-on-me-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
stevia
sugar plum
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato

greenthumbgrow-
kiwi
pinot noir grape
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
Holland Iris in purple white
Asparagus
stevia
sugar plum
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian
j-choke
apple cuttings

luvgardening2-
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
stevia
mammoth dill seed
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian
j-choke

sandlapper_rose-
kiwis
corkscrew willow
stevia
fingerling potato
blue potato
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian

gardenmom2-
Holly
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
Holland Iris in purple white
Asparagus
stevia
sugar plum
fingerling potato
blue potato
purple potato
yukon gold
all red potato
garlic - lorz italian
daffodils

patti957-
kiwis
pinot noir grape
himalayian blackberry
evergreen blackberry
Clematis Seed mix
corkscrew willow
stevia
sugar plum
wild ivy
blue potato
purple potato
garlic - lorz italian

o

I lost my Lady duck yesterday. I went out to put her and the Man duck in thier pen at about 4:30 pm and she was nowhere to be seen. A few days ago I had seen a Golden Eagle soaring above so maybe he got her. If she were a younger duck she might be out on a pile of eggs but Lady and Man are senior ducks and she hasn't layed an egg in years. But not to worry I called a friend that has ducks and we went today to get man a Companion. So now instead of Lady and her Man it is Man and his (considerably younger) Companion. He is not that crazy about her yet or her him but they will get use to each other soon.

Okay enough about my pets. It is freezing cold and snowing here (Eagle Point,OR) but I think I got everything. I will have everything in the mail tomorrow.

Chris, my part on your list looks right.

Patti

o

I am half way packed up and will finish after school tomrrow. If I get done quickly, I will mail tomorrow after. If not, I will mail Tues.
My only hang up has been that I did not get the Lily of the Valley. The lady whose beds I am to clean out dd nt want me todo this undil they pop up some and they are awol at the moment. SO these will be avail. summer swap.

The other ?????? is: I think the mint I offered that is poking through is Cilantro. NOW, I will send it anyway, as the marker inthe spot said mint. The leaves smell and look like cilantro, but I did not think this was perennial. It is growing from the plant base from last year. It is just resprouting. It really smells and looks like cilantro, though I could be wrong. I also found a bunch of coriander seed on the other side of the bed (3 ft. away) so I think it is but don't know how it is coming back up. I would think the seedlings from the seeds it dropped would not come up from the old plant base. I don't know. Every time Ithink I have things figured out, something grows weird just to prove me wrong. Go figure. MOTHER NATURE WINS !!!!!!

Nichol

o

Angela,

I am sorry you got that stuff. I had it and had it and had it... This week, I feel good.

Hey, if we forget something that we are supposed to send, we will do another swap and it can send it later!

It is shipping time! Let's have fun

Mark

o

Okay I got it all to where it will fit in three lg flat rate HEAVY boxes lol... WOOOHOO!! I think I under estimated the weight guess on my part anyway. WOW!!!

It's so kewl, seeing all these packages of plants that someone else will be able to grow :) I do hope that they do well for everyone. Two boxes are ready to ship and I have to go get another flat rate at the PO tomorrow. But I can print out postage and take it with me and package it there. So barring any unforseen difficulties, packages will be on their way tomorrow.

Toni

o

Everything looks good on the "lists". Want ya to know I did'nt forgot about those that have seeds coming too.

I've got most everything wrapped up have a few cuttings to take tomorrow and wrap up and then my box will be in the mail.

So sorry to hear about those that have the flu bug.....yuuck, I feel for ya!

I'm like Mark if something is forgotten....send it in the next swap, lets have fun!

Regina

o
RE: It's snowing!!!!!!!

UGGGGHHH!!! Well it's snowing AND sticking, so hopefully it will melt before I need to get across the water :o/ so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

o

I got most things packaged up tonight and have a couple updates...

The red geraniums have the beginnings of roots! They are small cuttings since my propagator is small but they all have tiny roots, yeah! So Wendy, ladygreensleeves, grolikecrazy and gardenmom they won't need much to keep them going...redusted with hormone anyway.

Zinary, the pink geranium has lots of roots!

A couple of the native plums have the very beginnings of root nodes so it looks like they will root, but just to be sure I will take an extra cutting for each and send in case you want to graft instead/also...dirtdiggin, angela, grolike, greenthumb, patti

Clematis, so far one has some green and the others still look dormant...I hope they work but I don't know

Gardenmom, the golden eunymous has lots of roots also, so ready to pot up right away.

Those getting apricots, mulberries and apples will have fresh cuttings.

Those that wanted the JFK rose...not sure if it is still viable but will send a cutting just in case

The rest will be packaged tomorrow.

Wendy, the blueberry will be fresh cut tomorrow also.

Should ship tomorrow if all goes well and I don't get sucked into the mud...we are having floods in some parts of our city....

Oh so excited!!! Kim

o

sorry Mark, some of the things I requested were still not on the spreadsheet and others i missed:
Mark: weeping cherry, coral berry
dirt: holand iris,sugar plum
sassy:dafts, weeping willow, budleia
kamil:garlic starts and chives to repel deer
cottage: catmint
zinaray: judy mogil, ginger swirl, perfume counter rhyzomes
angellady:yukon gold, kennebec potatoes,jersey male asparagus, take as much as i can, quinot strawberry
plantone:5 in 1 apple
greenthumb:variegated philo,apple, peach,hardy ice plants, allium aftertunense
luvgard: rooted fig
sandlap: pink geranium
gardenmom2:african violet, clematis, lily of valley,daisy, creeping phlox, dark purple butterfly bush
patti: quince, more chives please

o

Gro - had you down for sugar plum, but just put your name down for one of the 4 holland iris. All 4 will be sent, so they will be there for Mark to distribute.

o

Mark I am going o try to send an extra of at least the cuttings. These are for you, the helpers, or you can post it and ask who wants it. UNLESS I did not have the wrong number down then it would be for them. I am just trying to make sure no one was left off and so want to try to send extra's of what I can.

Thanks everyone for all your hard work and generosity. This is and has been lot of fun and I for one am learning a lot.

Nichol

o

I also have my packages ready to fly. I have two flat rate boxes and they are both FULL. I am sending some extra potatos in case I messed up on whos who.

Everything is marked the what it is and who it goes to for you so all you have to do is pull and plunk.

I also was in awe when I had everything lined up in the kitchen. I wish I could have found my camera it was amazing all those little plants.

**Two changes to mine was the ice plant and rosemary. The rosemary cuttings died in the propogator. The ice plant was not up yet and could not find it so that one will have to be a summer swap.

I will ship out today. I hope everything arives safely. I am worried the fushia and the dahlia as they both grew larger than expected I packaged softer things around the plant part trying to keep it from getting crushed. (keep fingers crossed) How did others keep the plant part protected if it was soft plant cuttings.

GOOD Note: Pretty much everything I am sending is already rooted and ready to be put in dirt.

;-) Hope everyone enjoys the plants.

Tammy

o

G'morning everyone :) Mine will be going out tomorrow morning, I'll be gathering today . I am sooooooooooo excited about this swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Wendy

o

Wendy,
My schedule is the same as yours.

Mark,
I'm sorry not have looked over the spread sheet sooner. If I don't get the following I am okay with it, but in case it still works to let you know at this point - I think I asked for:
pawpaw seeds from you
a second Lady Banks rose cutting from ibartoo
Potatoes from Angelady - Kennebec and Yukon Gold (Actually I am not totally sure I asked for these, but I think I did -so Angela, if you do not have me down for them, that is okay.)
I admit, I was looking at what to send instead of what to receive. LOL
Thanks so much!
Jeanne

o

Thanks, everyone, for your sympathies. It's funny how it does make you feel a little better. :-) And, just so you all know, I am washing my hands every few moments to be totally sure I'm not sending any germs to you all. ;-)

Patti - Ooooh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your duck. :-(

Toni (dirtdiggin) - Snowing again? Wow! Didn't you say you rarely ever g
et snow? Also, I just want to say an extra big thank you to you for those 3 big boxes. I think you're sending in more than most of us. Mark is sending a whole lot, too, and so is Chris. Thank you all! Even those that just sent in what you could, like me. I really appreciate everyone's generosity. It's getting very exciting!

Kim - Thanks for the update on our cuttings. I sure hope it stops raining there soon!

Chris - I updated my list to reflect what you wanted. Thanks for the post!

Tammy - You're using more than one box, too? Wow! Thank you so much! I really appreciate all that everyone is sending in! :-) I'm going to get my flat rate boxes here in a few. I think I'm only gonna use one, but we'll see. I'm going to get two just in case.

Jeanne - Yes, I just double-checked, and I do have you down for both potatoes.

And, for everyone who is getting the Dragon Fruit, it will be wrapped with newspaper. Please, be very careful opening it up. I would recommend gloves. If yours has two cuts, one on top and one on bottom, then the one on top will be straight and the one on bottom will be diagonal. You plant the diagonal end. I just wanted to be sure everyone isn't planting them upside down. LOL!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Yes we had a blanket of snow this morning and I wasn't able to get off island. It's melting now, so maybe I can get the packages out by this PM. And yes, it's true, we rarely get snow and if we do, it rarely sticks. This has been the strangest winter here.

Oh and just like Angela, any cuttings that had two cuts, the top is flat, the bottom is angled. So plant the angled cut :) Good point Angela lol. It's so sweet that you're thanking everyone for their packages. Everyone has been so generous and it is also very much appreciated here. Even those that didn't have much to send :) I hope that everyone has learned as much, if not more than I have. This has been such a fun and exciting swap!!!

I've enjoyed collecting all the cuttings and items and learning along the way. It's been fun getting out of the house with DH and DS and seeing their excitement as well. And it's been fun sharing with all of you and learning from each of you as well. Thank you everyone :)

I'll need to get my bottles, pots and stuff ready to plant as soon my box arrives cause we're headed out of town on the 20th to visit relatives. So hopefully I'll have a couple days before we depart.

Toni

o

Hi Everyone, I got sidetracked this weekend and didn't get my cuttings done. I will have my box in the mail tomorrow. I hope everyone likes their cuttings.

Mark, Thank you so much, This has been a great swap.
Linda

o

I posted earlier that my elephant garlic would not wait. I had to plant it, so I took it off the spreadsheet.

One of my garden partners gave me 4 cloves that I can give. I do not remember who the original requesters were. Can the original ones that requested the elephant garlic please let me know? I only have 4 to give. Sorry. This fall, I should have LOTS!!!!!!

Mark

o

My two boxes are on the move...:-) I had to use two because most of mine were already rooted and I started a bunch in little soil pods and didn't want to disturb the roots just to save a few bucks. I truely hope they make it alrigh please let me know when you get them mark if everything was alright. i packed both to the hilt and put on which end to open it so that the potted ones won't dump the dirt. So be sure to look for the notes on the box;-)

Mark I did get del. conf. for you and will give you the numbers in a couple. I have to get them out of the car.

So excited! Finally here!

BTW - It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL here today and I have been out in the GH getting everything ready to recieve my goodies. Cleaned up all my winter grasses and stuff. Oh spring is just around the corner and I am trying to peak!

This has been a wonderful swap.

I did my best to make sure I didn't miss anything for anyone. Please let me know if I did and i will be sure to save and send in the next swap.

Thanks again everyone for being such sharing people.

Tammy

o

Mark I had requested an elephant garlic. I believe dirtdiggin also had requested one. I can't remember the other two.

Tammy

o

I requested an elephant garlic, but if you only have 4, that's okay I think you offered 12 before, so make sure some others that requested have a bulb. Thanks for remembering Tammy :)

If we have a fall swap, (HINT HINT HINT) my Georgia Crystal hardneck garlic is growing YAY!!! It was from bulbils, so they will be small, but at least it's a start :) I'll have a few to share.

It just started snowing AGAIN!!! UGGHH!!!

Toni

o
Cuttings sent!

I sent out my very heavy box today...there is one large one
DC# 0308 2690 0002 1055 5635

Sorry Mark I forgot about the sugar cane. I hope I got everything else for everyone.

Mark, I bagged and tagged each plant and then most of the are also wrapped in newspaper for the individual. All you and the helpers need to do is to place them in everyone's different boxes. Kim

o

My box is packed and I went to town but missed the Post Office by 10 minutes, so it will go tomorrow. I found the ACTUAL mint. The plant marker was in the right spot, it just had not come up yet, but I found it as a couple little spots were just deciding to green up. I actually found it quite by accident since I was digging up one of my miracle cilantro plants and put my hand on it. When I did that I smelled it and had to hunt it down. I was able to get some roots, so I packed them and I hope they will send up shoots for everyone. I dd not really have any shoots to send, sorry. Mark, I sent you one o my cilantro plants, just because I think it is weird that it survived and is resprouting. It is not like it is growing from seeds from last year, either. It is theame plant rom last year. My clematis cuttings are just starting to bud/leaf out. They were really greening up so I hope they take off. I left them kindof long, b/c I was not sure of where to cut. So that way if any one needs to recut, there should be enough room to do so. There might even be enough to get a couple cuttings off each one. I still need to look up more as to where to cut and what to stick in the dirt to root, for myself.

Everything has been dusted with hormone and is wrapped in damp paper towel in a bag. I blew air into my bags beore I zipped closed, hoping that would provide more cusion inside the box. It seemed like a good idea at the time. LOL Hope it works.

I am very excited about this swap and want to let everyone know that I have and am learning alot. I have never done cuttings before, and I can already tell that I have a new addiction. Thanks for helping and being guinea pigs on my learning curve. LOL

Mark, thanks for hosting this swap and I hope we have another in the summer/fall. I am not sure I would want to be at your house this weekend though. SCARY !!! LOL

Good Luck

Nichol

Oh, I did not send postage since we had said we were paying by paypal, right????? I hope so. If not, let me know so I can mail enve, asap. I forgot to ask ahead of time to be sure.

If I forgot anything for anyone, let me know and I will get it to you at the next swap.

o

Mark, I wanted elephant garlic, and I was an original requester, if you don't mind!!!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Okay, Wendy asked me to post my blackberry muffin recipe. Sorry it took me a while to find after the PC crash. Everything was saved (that I was able to save) to disk. So here goes....

Blackberry Muffins Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 lb warm melted butter (1 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
11 oz of fresh blackberries, cut in half - Frozen work as well

Directions:
1. Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400F. Use paper muffin liners or grease a standard 12 muffin pan. You may need two muffin pans as this recipe makes up to 18. Paper muffin liners work the best and cause much less mess.

2. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, sour cream, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla.

4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix together with a few light strokes, just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add the berries. (If you are using frozen berries, defrost them first and drain excess liquid, then coat lightly in flour.) Do not overmix! Overmixing will cause the muffins to be tough or rubbery, cause tunnels and they will not be fluffy. The batter should not be smooth.

5. Pour batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 17-20 minutes (or longer). Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan. If not serving hot, let cool on a rack.

6. Optional - we sprinkle course sugar over the top for an added touch.

Serve as soon as possible, preferably within a few hours of baking.

o

Mailed 2 large priority boxes today,Confirmatoin no, 0305 2710 0000 7276 2277 and 0305 2710 0000 7276 2260
I've really had a good time sharing the fun with everybody, thanks Mark for hosting this rr looking forward to the next one
Toni

o

I am glad the boxes are on their way. My family is watching for them and will open each when they arrive to care for them.

I know this swap is no where near over, but we need to discuss future cutting swaps. What time of year is best for you for the next? I was thinking late July or early August to allow for cuttings from new growth before it hardens over.

We could do a fall swap in early Nov for hardened over dormant new growth plants.

Any input? Ideas?

Mark

o

Mark, I am learning so much and having so much fun that whenever it is done is good for me. You really don't know how much I sweated and almost cried over the clematis b/c I thought I prob should have waited to offer it and then like an answer to my fervent prayers, it greened up and started to bud out. I really am optomistic (sp?) about it now. I have learned so much and seriously think I need to keep water, paper towels, hormone and pruners in the car at all times. Maybe even on my person. LOL Ok I am kinda kidding. But seriously I am excited about the clematis and hope it does well for everyone. This particular clematis was my 4th wedding anniversary gift. and it has moved with me twice now. It does so well for me.

Nichol

o

I think both are a definate;-) If your game I'm game!

Anywho. i sent extra potatos 2 or 3 of each red potamic and yukon gold so if you want to give one each to sandlapper that would be fine since she may have missed the other one.

Also Marked everything for you. The only thing I did not mark with names was the rose campion plants as I grabbed them on my way out of the house to work this morning and added them to the top of the box. if you wouldn't mind using the ss for those.

Thanks a bunch everyone for all the generous offers.

Tammy

o

Garlics won't be ready 'til Fall so if a early to mid October swap could be done as well that would be GREAT! In fact that's the time for planting and a lot of bulbs need late Fall planting. lol I'm sorry I'm not trying to volunteer you for more work ;) Just a thought.

I'm really game for any of them. I might not have as much available for the Summer swaps, but I should have something :) Maybe some Artichoke plants or more stevia if anyone wants any :) Who knows...we'll see what all I'll have after planting this amazing batch of seeds I've received over the past couple of months :)

Toni

o

I agree Fall would be great. I hope to have lots of new plants to offer from my WS'ing this year. They'll be young perennials, but large enough by fall to do some cuttings from to root!

I am sooooooooo excited about this swap. Thankyou, all of you for sharing such wonderful exciting plants w/ me!!!! Each of us will have everyone's generosity flourishing in our yards this season. How cool is that!

so Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!! lol

~Wendy

o

My box of cuttings is all packed up and will go to the post office in the morning. I hope the way I packed it is easy to deal with - probably not, but I tried. LOL Unfortunately so many of the cuttings that were putting out nice green leaves do not have roots yet. I was hoping to see roots when I packed them. No such luck. So, just a few things in my box will be rooted. I hope everyone has good luck getting the other things to root.
I enclosed a check, Mark. If that is not enough for return postage, let me know and I will figure out how to do PayPal or send a second check to cover the extra.
Fall sounds good to me for another swap. Maybe right after Labor Day?
Jeanne

o

I mailed my 2 boxes at 12:30 pm,
#1 Large box flat rate 8lbs 13.4oz, $13.95
DC#03082040000129869916

#2 Small box 2 lbs 3.40oz, sealed and mailed in a flat rate envelope, $4.95(it fits perfectly, the nice postman showed me that trick the last time I sent a small box filled tight with acorns, instead of paying $8.00)
DC# 03082040000129869909
Total $20.20
Mark ,I forgot to include some money for my return shipping ,and an address label, sorry, but I just saw a few posts up that we might be doing that thru paypal?
Wheeww I'm so glad that is done and sent off!! A LOAD off my shoulder, I've been so worried.
The bougainvillaes did very well in the rooting sand! When I washed off the sand I could see lots of bumps abpout to burt into rootlets. I'm kinda glad they didn't come out yet as I covered the cuttings with sand after I plangted them in a very sandy potting soil, so they were jammed packed and didn't budge, and there was no other way to pull them out of the sand than by just yanking them out of the heavy sand. I learned this lesson then: If you are rooting cuttings for a swap where you'd have to pull them out when the roots are still very fragile, perlite/potting soil/ vermiculite, or even just spagnum moss would be much better, as not to damage or break off the newly formed roots. Luckily the roots hadn't quite emerged yet.
So now I sent plenty of Raspberry Ice Variegated Bougainvillae for anyone who wants some.

The Barbara Karst bougainvillae didn't quite do as well, so I cut some fresh ones, there are not as many of it for everyone, so only for those who asked for it.

The double pink did great also, so there might be enough for everyone also.

i did find some comfrey root for those who wanted them, the roots could be dissected into as many pieces as we want though since any fragment will give you a plant and before you know it, it'll be taking over your garden, so contain it, like you would mint and other invasive plants.

I sent some corn salad too, roots can be sectioned very small also, even though it is not on the spreadsheet. They are always the first greens to emerge in my veggie garden,along with the garlic and leeks. Here's a little info on it if you're not familiar with it:
Corn Salad/ Lambs Lettuce
Long, oval, green leaves have a unique, nutty, delicate, buttery flavor and are a significant source of iron. Sow in fall, to overwinter in all but the northernmost areas for early-season gourmet greens. Never bitter.
They do pop up all over the place so they also must be grown where you don't mind them spreading , it can sow itself so thickly as to look like a ground cover!

I had prepared and washed some feverfew clumps, and lemon balm clumps , but ran out of room , so i didn't send them,/except for the initial requests(lemon balm).
Also sent some extra English columnar oak acorns, male and females, and 6 ginkgo biloba seeds, 3 females and 3 males (at least according to me ), that was all I could fit in.
Mark, you were a wonderful host, very laid back, and that is exactly how to handle a bunch of high strung ladies...;) Chris

o
Question on Sending Info.....

LOL Chris =)

Mark, do you want us to put down like in email or something, the best way we've found to root our cuttings? Well at least those we have any info on...That way it can easily be copied and pasted or maybe post the info here in the thread for review later? I've written everything in the boxes, but it may be easier to either post here on how to handle the cuttings or by printing (oh what a hastle that would be) out from emails.

Maybe posting it in the thread will make a great informational for other GW members as they search for info on specific plants. Just a suggestion, could educate others as well.

Toni

o

Ummmm....I have a little problem....I am really sorry....but I could not fit the canna bulbs because I packed every drosera in its own pot, I could only fit I think about 26 seperate 2 1/2 inch pots, and I still did not get all of the pots in. I still have 10 more pots of drosera that need to go in but it looks like they wont be going. I will get the box out tommorow the first box went out this morning.

Kamil

o

Toni, that would be really helpful, having it posted here. While it is in transit and driving Mark bonkers, we can be reading each others posts on what to do with it when we get it. I know I need help.

Maybe it should have its own thread???? Then at the end that can be where we post what rooted and so on to keep up to date with each other???? Just thinkin out loud.

o

gardenmom I Think that is a wonderful Idea. I would love everyones best methods and success rates for each as some of the stuff i am getting I have not rooted before.

Tammy

o

I totally agree gardenmom2! Maybe Mark can start a thread on it and we can supply our research for each of our cuttings, bulbs, seedlings etc. I know there's a lot missing out there on this kind of info. But in your post be sure to supply the type of plant or name. It will make it searchable to those looking for the info down the road.

I have learned so much from GW just by typing in questions in google and it brings up threads in GW.

o

Wheeew...my one big ole box is at the post office late tonite. Some of the cuttings are rooted, some are not. All have been treated with rooting hormone, wrapped in a damp paper tower with super thrive and bagged.All have been labeled. Angled cut on the bottom, straight cut on the top.
For those who got the Lady Margaret Passion Flower there is enough vine in each to make several node cuttings. Some say root it in water, some say in rooting cubes after treating with a rooting hormone and I've heard about using the florist foam too and a propagator. I've got node cuttings in the propagator now,treated w/rooting hormone and stuck in pots. Wish me luck....LOL.

Mark, I tagged all cuttings grouped them to who they belong too, and wrapped them in newspaper and again labeled who it belongs too. All you or your helpers have to do is put them in their new owners box. I included return postage. If it's not enough let me know and I'll send more w/paypal or your choice.
The next swap date works for me as well.

Hope everyone likes the plants and cuttings I've sent their way. I know I apprecieate all that everyone has sent in and the effort it took to make it happen. Thank-you so much everyone.

Regina

o

Please pray for no snow!! Well regardless, I'll be making my way out tomorrow. We brought the 4 wheel drive home tonight, so things should be okay. I don't mind driving in the snow...it's worrying about the idiots that can't drive in the snow...rather stressful and frightening. I'll get packages out in the AM!

Yay!!! packages are shipping out and should reach Mark in the next couple of days. Oh my can you imagine the cuttings that will be in Mark's house??? I can picture it....almost like Patty and Fran's swaps with all those little seed pkgs lol.

Sorry Mark, mine are not marked by each participant, but I did include a list of what goes where. If I'd have separated them it would have taken 4 boxes. I included postage for two lg flat rate boxes...not sure if it will take that and if it does take more, please let me know and I'll PP funds to you.

Anyway, take care, all :)

Toni

o

I finally got my large flat rate box stuffed full. Whew! I didn't realize that I had so much to send in after all! :-)

I had to put just the smallest Kennebec potatoes in, but at least everyone who accepted my offers got them. I am exhausted right now... I decided I would stay up until I got it done, and that was right now...

Well, I have more to say after I wake up... I am still sick, but I managed to not once cough or sneeze on anyone's cuttings! LOL

Oh, and I took the suggestion to just label and package everything with the participant's name on each individual item. I don't think it would have all fit as nicely in the large flat rate box if I didn't. This way you can fit things in the best you can like a jigsaw puzzle. Where there's a space that fits that shape, put that piece in. LOL!

I am glad you have the Scouts helping, Mark. It sounds like it'll be fun there with the food being cooked and everyone over. I would love to be there to enjoy the evening with y'all!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Mark, July -August sounds like a great time for me to do another swap. That is my best time for rooting everything.

I am packing today and will get to the po this afternoon. I will post a dc then.

Thank you so much, Linda

o

Mark,
My box is on its way to you. With us being neighboring states, I don't think it will take long. Here is the confirmation number: 0308 2040 0000 9722 0818

Linda,
You know at first I thought about July and August for a cutting swap because, like you, that is when I usually root things and have pretty good success. Then I wondered about the double mailing from us to the host and then back to us and wondered about the newly rooted or unrooted cuttings traveling that long in hot weather. Gee, picking out a next time to do this might be harder... Someone probably has a good plan for this so we will see. By the way, I did include a few rose cuttings for you. Right now I can't remember what kind they are, but you will see that I rememebered. It seemed to take me so long to package my things yesterday that I never got around to pruning my roses bushes like I had planned. I need to get out there soon to water everything and move my winter sowing jugs to a shadier spot. It was in the 80s yesterday and very sunny - sure could feel the difference - I was moving a lot slower! LOL

Now, once this swap winds down, we will all have to keep in touch to let each other know what is rooting and how our plants are doing. As for hints about any cuttings I sent, I have no special suggestions. The way mine are packaged, the end in the dampened paper towels is the bottom. The only questionable thing I could think of was the Night Blooming Cereus cutting and I labeled it - the wide part is the bottom. That plant died a lot over the winter (it spends the winter in the garage) so all I could send was that one snip of a leaf. It is easy to root though so you should be fine with it.

Jeanne

o

It is so exciting seeing everyone sending out their boxes...it will be better than Christmas when my box finally arrives:-)

Mark, I found out that we can send any box Priority Mail so did not send in the flat rate box. I sent one large box with all the cuttings. I think I would have needed 3 of the large priority mail boxes. My postage was $15.15 for the one box but would have been $13.95x3 if I sent the other way. If you can fit my cuttings back into my box it would be great...if not I should have sent enough postage for my box and another. If not enough, let me know and I will paypal the rest. Kim

o

Yeah, Kim, I mailed mine in a copy paper box and I did not have as much as you guys to mail. It will prob. cost me about $2654 to ship it back but thats ok. LOL I can't wait. Have lots of fun Mark. Hope you have a lot of food for those helpers, as they will be busy.

Nichol

o

Hi Mark, I have packed all day, but my box is on it's way to you. The DC # is 0306 3030 0003 0544 4359.
I may not have included enough postage for you to return it to me, so If you would email me your paypal addy, I will gladly send a little more.

I hope everyone likes everything.

Those of you hoping for the lantana, will be disappointed. They haven't broken dormancy yet. I will offer them again in the summer/fall/next swap when i will probably be begging people to take cuttings.

Jeanne, you are right about the heat. You and I could just meet in florence or something. I usually do not mail anything in August/september, but for some things, october is too late because they will already have set their buds for the next spring........ Oh well, I am sure we will figure it out.
Thanks for adding in the roses and I made sure you got a couple of the Lady banks rose too.

Oh, one more thing. the sparkling Burgundy sasanqua and the Mary alice Cox camellia had some spots on the leaves and something that looked like it could be scale. I decided not to share the not so beneficial insects with you all and will try to clean them up and offer them again in the next swap too.

Thanks to everyone. Linda

o

Well I've got one box on the way to ya. Second box will have to go out this evening on rush. I just couldn't decide about the monkey grass. These are pretty large clumps I am sending everyone and it's definitely going to raise the cost of your postage for SURE.... Does anyone prefer to just do a sasbe WHENEVER you're wanting to and just let me send you a flat rate box of it... or do you prefer to just get one big clump? I'm ready to dig em out.. but after I took out the 1st clump I figured I'd better ask!! The people getting monkey grass are: ladygreensleeves, ibartoo, angelady and grolikecrazy. Please let me know as these must go out by 8pm this evening to arrive in time.

Grolikecrazy - the Mtn Bluet is a big fat clump as well. I tried dividing it up and it was such a mess I just decided to send you a clump instead :P You can divide it up and get probably 10-15 plants out of it this way. It spreads out slowly so it will take no time to do a nice planting. I just didn't want to pull the bulbs apart and have it be in shipping 2-4 days total before going back in the ground!

The spider lily will NOT be able to go out in this swap. I dug them up last night and the bulbs are soft. I emailed the person that sent them, they said this is normal and that they ARE ok, but now is not a good time to try to box them up to ship. Apparently they have to be dug and dried out somewhat before shipping. I can either send those to rec'v these after they've dried or send them in the Fall swap. I'm fine either way!

It has been a crazy day.. spent the a.m. at an urgent care w/ my son's fiancee.... hours and hours! I was panicking trying to finish packing up the first box :P She is doing ok now tho :)

~Wendy

o
Hey Angela..

Hey Angela, you better be in BED lady!! :P Staying up til all hours when you're already sick.. Want me to mail you some chicken n dumplings? I made some last night for some 'comfort food'! :) Hope you're feelin' better!

~Wendy

o

I, too, am concerned with mailing in the summer because of the intense heat. We're regularly at 105, so even things in the ground are suffering. I imagine inside a hot box would cook them. BUT, it is the best time of year, too.... hmmmm....

Mark - My delivery confirmation number is 0306 2400 0002 1028 9050. I never have issues with most all mail, especially Priority Mail, but hubby said I worked too hard getting that together to not make sure it made it to you. LOL! Isn't he sweet? I'm not convinced Delivery Confirmation helps at all, but I guess a lot of people disagree with me. Steve also doesn't quite understand that it's not going to one person. He said, someone is going to be really happy with what all you sent. LOL! I hope a lot of someone's are happy with what I sent them.

Linda (ibartoo) mentioned that her plant hadn't come out of dormancy yet. Well, my Crepe Myrtle hasn't either. I'm not sure if that is a problem or not. I would rather have it to the budding stage, but it's not there. Isn't that what they call a "hardwood" cutting? I don't know if Crepe Myrtle's do well from hardwood cuttings, but if not, I'll happily send some more in the next swap. I'm going to try to start rooting some as soon as it breaks dormancy.

I also wrapped all the bottom, slanted ends of the cuttings, except the Dragon Fruit, which is not suppose to be wet until it's planted. You're suppose to let the cut end(s) dry and start forming roots hopefully that first week after cutting it. You'll know which end is down because it's slanted.

I barely had enough of the Dragon Fruit and a couple other things for everyone who requested, but I managed to get a cutting for everyone. They are small, but they're big enough to grow, which is what matters.

I also would like to vote for having a separate thread for instructions on our plants/cuttings and to keep in touch to let each other know how our cuttings are doing.

A few other updates on what I sent in:

The Crassula had been attacked my some cats, so I didn't have as much as I thought I would to share, and it looked a bit beaten up, but it was definitely still alive and hanging on. I just wasn't able to send 2 or 3 cuttings each. I just sent one small cutting per person, but that should be enough to get a start. I didn't even use rooting hormone and all my cuttings took the first time without losing one.

The indestructible houseplant had new growth, so I sent two leaves per person, so you might get two plants each or you could just plant them together since I didn't separate them.

For everyone who is getting the Purple Iris, I sent a very healthy sized rhizome with several roots and shoots coming off it. I trimmed back the leaves and flower stems to pack them.

On the pink 4:00 tubers, I sent more than one per person. Some were really small, some were much larger, so I sent 2 or 3 each depending on what size you got. The bigger the first tuber, then the less you needed in additional ones. I chose to send the biggest tubers to those in colder zones. You can dig it up every year, store it for the winter, and replant it. Most likely, everyone will get at least 2 plants from what I sent. The greatest thing about this plant is it's very drought tolerant. It rarely rains here and I might water them once every 6 or 8 weeks, if that. The bigger the tuber, the more drought tolerant it is. Now, just so you know and there is no surprises, mostly these will be pink, but maybe this was some kind of hybrid, but I occasionally get yellow flowers on my mother plant, but not all over it, just a few at the bottom. Don't ask me how that happens, because I don't know! LOL

Okay... I think that's about it for updates... LOL... if anyone made it this far, bless your heart.... :-)

Blessings,
Angela

o

Wendy, I sure wouldn't mind a full box of monkey grass! It'll sure help me make some borders look GREAT!!! If you'd rather, I could just send postage to you directly. I think that would be great, but of course, it's not necessary. One plant could be divided to get me started. Let me know... I'm up for either way!

As for being sick and up all night... LOL... believe me, I wondered if I had lost my mind last night and this morning when I still wasn't done. LOL! I am SO glad that I got it all done and done well to the best of my ability. I am so proud of myself because I sure didn't feel like doing it. And, as for the chicken and dumplings, YES, ma'am! Send those right along! I'll be better in no time with that to comfort me. hee hee

Blessings,
Angela

o

Confirmation number for the package of cuttings I mailed today:
Thanks, Alana

o

Packages are on their way. 3 lg flat rates for a total of $40.50. Each box was at least 7 lbs two were over 10 lbs.

here are the DC's

Lotsa goodies :)

If I had sent them priority regular box, it would have run over $30 per box >:o YIKES!

o

Angela ~ I had the same issue on my crepe myrtle, it's dwarf to begin with, and it was a baby on top of that.. I cut some cuttings that look just like twigs, but there is a hint of green in the middle if you look close so I'm guessing they'll be ok! Looked pretty pitiful to me tho..lol I'm actually trying to root a cutting myself just to see what happens :)

Angela, that'd be fine on the full box. Just email me whenever you wanna do it. I have alot of beds to clean up and it spread out into the flower beds instead of just the border :P Don't think the chicken n dumplings will travel well hon.. better pass on that ..lol might make you ALOT sicker by the time you get it :P

Still looking to hear from a few others on the monkey grass, and if I don't in time we'll just sort it out for separate boxes or the Fall swap. Just lemme know which you'd each prefer :)

Thanks!
Wendy

o

Mark,
I was just thinking - I don't know if the amount you asked us to send includes delivery confirmation. If it does not, it is totally okay to send to me without delivery confirmation. I think I have only had one piece of mail that has not arrived in about 25 years. (Well, at least that I know of...LOL)
Jeanne

Angela, I hope you are feeling better. My goodness, you are being too hard on yourself, girl! You need some rest to get better.

o

Mark. I did not send money or stamps I thought since I have absolutly no idea how much it will cost to send all my stuff to just paypal ya. Just let me know and I will send it asap.

Thanks so much for doing all this your the best!

Tammy

o

Yes, I'm certainly going to catch up on my sleep tonight and not wake up until I absolutely have to... LOL!

Mark - I, too, didn't sent postage yet. Please, let me know how much to PayPal and where to send it, and I'll get it to you right away.

Blessings,
Angela

o
Extras

Several swap members are sending extras. ON Saturday night, I will post a list of what is extra. Please check this thread about 9 PM Saturday. I will distribute the extra material the best I can by your responses. I hope that is fair.

o

Wendy.....I'm sorry I did'nt respond to you sooner about the monkey grass, I totally understand your dilemma. And waiting will not be an issue for me.

I think angelady has a good idea about keeping in touch or starting a new thread for the cuttings. If anyone needs help or advice on their new cuttings/plants please feel free to e-mail me.

Regina

o

Nichol I got the seeds! Thanks a bunch! I LOVED the soap. (Hiding it behind my back in case she comes to swipe it again) Its going straight to the greenhouse. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Tammy

o

It was funny b/c I had already mailed it when you posted about her swiping your other soap. Hope you liked the seeds. (From heirloom march swap)

Nichol

o

And, I thought I was the only one getting swaps mixed up because I was in too many... hee hee... J/K... Of course, now I'm officially done with swaps finally... for awhile at least...

Mark - I'll be here Saturday night at 9 pm eastern with bells on.... LOL... I sent anything extra I had with your name on it. I thought you would like to keep them for you and your helpers.

On the Kennebec Potatoes, the package said "Good Chipping Variety". I thought those getting them would like to know that. Both the Kennebec and Yukon Gold said on the package that they were mid-season potatoes.

Blessings,
Angela

o

YooHoo, it looks like my package arrived today according to my DC! I am always worried things won't get to where they belong on time. OK I have to admit I am EXTREMELY OCD when it comes to being on time. I honestly can only think of 3 times in my life where I was late for something (blush).

Angela, THANK YOU! for the birthday seeds! I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you also for sharing the red noodle bean...it was so nice since you had a limited amount. All the seeds will be planted and I am sure will taste great.

Hopefully I will be able to post Saturday night...although I am sure I will have way more than I should already coming to me. I warned the hubby but I am sure he will have a fit when things start coming out of the box/boxes
:0

Mark I am sure you will be plenty busy on Saturday...I hope the weather is warm and the sun is shining down on you and your helpers and no wind! I got my head slammed good in the car door today from a wind gust. You know the cartoons where stars actually circle your head...well let me tell you it is true! I had someone run over asking if I was ok because he was sure I was going to pass out, luckily not! Anyway got a nice knot though.

Waiting not so patiently for my box to arrive...gotta find something to take my mind off of it...planted tomtoes yesterday...must start obsessing about the tomatoes...maybe that will work NOT! Kim

o

Oh I'm just THRILLED! I found a seed starter for all my trays. It won't take any time at all to build and DS and I will be headed out tomorrow to pick up the stuff to do it. I've posted the plans below YAY!!! I have most of the stuff, but need a few more items...This is so exciting!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: seedling rack plans

o

Dirt I love the post. I have some rigged shelving with little tiny undr cab. flourescent lights we ound at big lots but I have no room left and millions of things to plant still. I have been whining for my shelving and I think I can talkhubby into makng a pair of these so I will hush up. I think If I drape plastic over them, they will be alright in the garage. That or the basement but thenmy cat will getinto the dirt and dislocate my planted seeds. Has already happened this year twice. UGH. OOHHHH I have a plan and I have a couple flourecent lights already just need a couple more.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

o

Kim - Oh, heavens, girlfriend! That sounds so scary... have your husband check your eyes... oh, duh... you're a nurse, you know what to do... I feel terrible for you! You saw stars? I'm glad you didn't pass out!!! Also, I'm so glad you're happy with your birthday seeds! :-)

Toni - I can feel your excitement! I hope it's easy and quick to put together for you. I checked out the link. It looks good. I was thinking about just getting one of those plastic utility shelves and attaching lights to it. Is that too simple to work?

Blessings,
Angela

o

Dirtdiggin ~ that is a NICE setup!! I wonder if I can get my son to help me build one too :)

Ladygreensleeves ~ that is no problem at all, I just picked up 4 flat rate priority boxes yesterday so whenever you all are ready I'll dig em up and send them on to their new homes :) One clump will break down into probably 15-20 plants and it'll fill in in NO time! :)

Mark here's my 2 DC#'s, I forgot to post them before:
0308 0660 0000 8832 0484 and 0308 0660 0000 8838 9894

Thanks!!
Wendy

o

Angela, that is what I did. The prob. with it is I zip tied my tiny little lights on and have to prop up my flats until the plants are big enough. It is a huge pain. There is also really only room for 1 flat per shelf. I figured it out according to Lowes $ for lumber and the cheapest shop lights they show online and I think you could build one for around 75-80. In my opinion, by the time you purchase the shelving unit and a couple lights, you might as well do this. I think you will have much more room and it will work better as far as moving the lights up and down. Just my opinion, though. If you already have a shelving unit, it might make more sense to do that until later, but the lumber is only going to cost around 20 bucks right now, at least in my area. OSB is $6 and 2x4 or 1.77 here. I am not sure you can buy a shelving unit, even cheap plastic for that. I just need an upgrade or more room or something.

o

I got home from school, pulled my motorcycle into the car port and low and behold: I got home to 10 boxes!

2 from Toni
one from Kamil
two from Patti
One from Linda
One from Kim
Two from Tammy
and.. one from Utah. The return address is kinda wiped out, so not sure who yet! Gotta open them up!

I am sure more will come tomorrow.

Mark

o

Kim, I love your blog. I am planning on stealing afew of your ideas. I love your propogator box. That will be my first project tmorrow evening, since of course, I will need it early next week. I am going to use your worm box too. I have worms on order and want to eventually use a large garb. can, but I want to put a layer of castings in first, plus I will use the maller bins this winter when it i to cold out in the garage. I am going to try sprouts with your sprouter and I REALLY love your idea on a seed saving bed inthe gaden. I think it will help me stay focused on the seeds. I can't wait to read more. You are bookmarked my dear friend. LOL Thank you.

Nichol

o

Nice sight to see I bet Mark!! lol I'm irked mine wasn't there.. I guess tomorrow will be the final hurrah!

Kim has a blog eh? how'd I miss that!?! :P Where's the link? :D

Hugs everyone!
Wendy

o

Yeah Mark so glad to hear they are arriving!

Dirtdiggin, I like those shelves also, thanks for sharing the link.

Angela, yeah I did actually see stars...and I am ok, now just a little embarassed.

Nichol, borrow all the ideas you want...that is why I put them in my blog..that and so I can remember some of my ideas myself...very poor memory LOL.

Wendy, yep I have a blog...nothing much but it is nice to know there are people actually reading it and it makes me feel good to know someone actually thinks I have some good ideas...dh thinks I am nuts most of the time...but then aren't most gardeners in the eyes of non-gardeners?

I'll try to keep in touch the next few days but I am on a brutal stretch of 5-12 hour shifts in a row...I'm gonna be one tired and sore girl by next Tuesday. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out my blog!

o

Gonna go start a new thread. this should fill this one up.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here