Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markcase1964

UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #7

markcase1964
15 years ago

We have filled 6 threads! Here we go for another one.

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.

This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)

Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)

Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)

Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)

Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)

Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Comments (150)

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My box is packed and I went to town but missed the Post Office by 10 minutes, so it will go tomorrow. I found the ACTUAL mint. The plant marker was in the right spot, it just had not come up yet, but I found it as a couple little spots were just deciding to green up. I actually found it quite by accident since I was digging up one of my miracle cilantro plants and put my hand on it. When I did that I smelled it and had to hunt it down. I was able to get some roots, so I packed them and I hope they will send up shoots for everyone. I dd not really have any shoots to send, sorry. Mark, I sent you one o my cilantro plants, just because I think it is weird that it survived and is resprouting. It is not like it is growing from seeds from last year, either. It is theame plant rom last year. My clematis cuttings are just starting to bud/leaf out. They were really greening up so I hope they take off. I left them kindof long, b/c I was not sure of where to cut. So that way if any one needs to recut, there should be enough room to do so. There might even be enough to get a couple cuttings off each one. I still need to look up more as to where to cut and what to stick in the dirt to root, for myself.

Everything has been dusted with hormone and is wrapped in damp paper towel in a bag. I blew air into my bags beore I zipped closed, hoping that would provide more cusion inside the box. It seemed like a good idea at the time. LOL Hope it works.

I am very excited about this swap and want to let everyone know that I have and am learning alot. I have never done cuttings before, and I can already tell that I have a new addiction. Thanks for helping and being guinea pigs on my learning curve. LOL

Mark, thanks for hosting this swap and I hope we have another in the summer/fall. I am not sure I would want to be at your house this weekend though. SCARY !!! LOL

Good Luck

Nichol

Oh, I did not send postage since we had said we were paying by paypal, right????? I hope so. If not, let me know so I can mail enve, asap. I forgot to ask ahead of time to be sure.

If I forgot anything for anyone, let me know and I will get it to you at the next swap.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Mark, I wanted elephant garlic, and I was an original requester, if you don't mind!!!

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Okay, Wendy asked me to post my blackberry muffin recipe. Sorry it took me a while to find after the PC crash. Everything was saved (that I was able to save) to disk. So here goes....

Blackberry Muffins Recipe

Ingredients:
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon milk
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 lb warm melted butter (1 stick)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    11 oz of fresh blackberries, cut in half - Frozen work as well

Directions:
    1. Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400F. Use paper muffin liners or grease a standard 12 muffin pan. You may need two muffin pans as this recipe makes up to 18. Paper muffin liners work the best and cause much less mess.

2. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, sour cream, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla.

4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix together with a few light strokes, just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add the berries. (If you are using frozen berries, defrost them first and drain excess liquid, then coat lightly in flour.) Do not overmix! Overmixing will cause the muffins to be tough or rubbery, cause tunnels and they will not be fluffy. The batter should not be smooth.

5. Pour batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 17-20 minutes (or longer). Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan. If not serving hot, let cool on a rack.

6. Optional - we sprinkle course sugar over the top for an added touch.

Serve as soon as possible, preferably within a few hours of baking.

• zinaray
    15 years ago

Mailed 2 large priority boxes today,Confirmatoin no, 0305 2710 0000 7276 2277 and 0305 2710 0000 7276 2260
    I've really had a good time sharing the fun with everybody, thanks Mark for hosting this rr looking forward to the next one
    Toni

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am glad the boxes are on their way. My family is watching for them and will open each when they arrive to care for them.

I know this swap is no where near over, but we need to discuss future cutting swaps. What time of year is best for you for the next? I was thinking late July or early August to allow for cuttings from new growth before it hardens over.

We could do a fall swap in early Nov for hardened over dormant new growth plants.

Any input? Ideas?

Mark

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Mark, I am learning so much and having so much fun that whenever it is done is good for me. You really don't know how much I sweated and almost cried over the clematis b/c I thought I prob should have waited to offer it and then like an answer to my fervent prayers, it greened up and started to bud out. I really am optomistic (sp?) about it now. I have learned so much and seriously think I need to keep water, paper towels, hormone and pruners in the car at all times. Maybe even on my person. LOL Ok I am kinda kidding. But seriously I am excited about the clematis and hope it does well for everyone. This particular clematis was my 4th wedding anniversary gift. and it has moved with me twice now. It does so well for me.

Nichol

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I think both are a definate;-) If your game I'm game!

Anywho. i sent extra potatos 2 or 3 of each red potamic and yukon gold so if you want to give one each to sandlapper that would be fine since she may have missed the other one.

Also Marked everything for you. The only thing I did not mark with names was the rose campion plants as I grabbed them on my way out of the house to work this morning and added them to the top of the box. if you wouldn't mind using the ss for those.

Thanks a bunch everyone for all the generous offers.

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Garlics won't be ready 'til Fall so if a early to mid October swap could be done as well that would be GREAT! In fact that's the time for planting and a lot of bulbs need late Fall planting. lol I'm sorry I'm not trying to volunteer you for more work ;) Just a thought.

I'm really game for any of them. I might not have as much available for the Summer swaps, but I should have something :) Maybe some Artichoke plants or more stevia if anyone wants any :) Who knows...we'll see what all I'll have after planting this amazing batch of seeds I've received over the past couple of months :)

Toni

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I agree Fall would be great. I hope to have lots of new plants to offer from my WS'ing this year. They'll be young perennials, but large enough by fall to do some cuttings from to root!

I am sooooooooo excited about this swap. Thankyou, all of you for sharing such wonderful exciting plants w/ me!!!! Each of us will have everyone's generosity flourishing in our yards this season. How cool is that!

so Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!! lol

~Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My box of cuttings is all packed up and will go to the post office in the morning. I hope the way I packed it is easy to deal with - probably not, but I tried. LOL Unfortunately so many of the cuttings that were putting out nice green leaves do not have roots yet. I was hoping to see roots when I packed them. No such luck. So, just a few things in my box will be rooted. I hope everyone has good luck getting the other things to root.
    I enclosed a check, Mark. If that is not enough for return postage, let me know and I will figure out how to do PayPal or send a second check to cover the extra.
    Fall sounds good to me for another swap. Maybe right after Labor Day?
    Jeanne

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I mailed my 2 boxes at 12:30 pm,
    #1 Large box flat rate 8lbs 13.4oz, $13.95
    DC#03082040000129869916

#2 Small box 2 lbs 3.40oz, sealed and mailed in a flat rate envelope, $4.95(it fits perfectly, the nice postman showed me that trick the last time I sent a small box filled tight with acorns, instead of paying $8.00)
    DC# 03082040000129869909
    Total $20.20
    Mark ,I forgot to include some money for my return shipping ,and an address label, sorry, but I just saw a few posts up that we might be doing that thru paypal?
    Wheeww I'm so glad that is done and sent off!! A LOAD off my shoulder, I've been so worried.
    The bougainvillaes did very well in the rooting sand! When I washed off the sand I could see lots of bumps abpout to burt into rootlets. I'm kinda glad they didn't come out yet as I covered the cuttings with sand after I plangted them in a very sandy potting soil, so they were jammed packed and didn't budge, and there was no other way to pull them out of the sand than by just yanking them out of the heavy sand. I learned this lesson then: If you are rooting cuttings for a swap where you'd have to pull them out when the roots are still very fragile, perlite/potting soil/ vermiculite, or even just spagnum moss would be much better, as not to damage or break off the newly formed roots. Luckily the roots hadn't quite emerged yet.
    So now I sent plenty of Raspberry Ice Variegated Bougainvillae for anyone who wants some.

The Barbara Karst bougainvillae didn't quite do as well, so I cut some fresh ones, there are not as many of it for everyone, so only for those who asked for it.

The double pink did great also, so there might be enough for everyone also.

i did find some comfrey root for those who wanted them, the roots could be dissected into as many pieces as we want though since any fragment will give you a plant and before you know it, it'll be taking over your garden, so contain it, like you would mint and other invasive plants.

I sent some corn salad too, roots can be sectioned very small also, even though it is not on the spreadsheet. They are always the first greens to emerge in my veggie garden,along with the garlic and leeks. Here's a little info on it if you're not familiar with it:
    Corn Salad/ Lambs Lettuce
    Long, oval, green leaves have a unique, nutty, delicate, buttery flavor and are a significant source of iron. Sow in fall, to overwinter in all but the northernmost areas for early-season gourmet greens. Never bitter.
    They do pop up all over the place so they also must be grown where you don't mind them spreading , it can sow itself so thickly as to look like a ground cover!

I had prepared and washed some feverfew clumps, and lemon balm clumps , but ran out of room , so i didn't send them,/except for the initial requests(lemon balm).
    Also sent some extra English columnar oak acorns, male and females, and 6 ginkgo biloba seeds, 3 females and 3 males (at least according to me ), that was all I could fit in.
    Mark, you were a wonderful host, very laid back, and that is exactly how to handle a bunch of high strung ladies...;) Chris

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

LOL Chris =)

Mark, do you want us to put down like in email or something, the best way we've found to root our cuttings? Well at least those we have any info on...That way it can easily be copied and pasted or maybe post the info here in the thread for review later? I've written everything in the boxes, but it may be easier to either post here on how to handle the cuttings or by printing (oh what a hastle that would be) out from emails.

Maybe posting it in the thread will make a great informational for other GW members as they search for info on specific plants. Just a suggestion, could educate others as well.

Toni

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Ummmm....I have a little problem....I am really sorry....but I could not fit the canna bulbs because I packed every drosera in its own pot, I could only fit I think about 26 seperate 2 1/2 inch pots, and I still did not get all of the pots in. I still have 10 more pots of drosera that need to go in but it looks like they wont be going. I will get the box out tommorow the first box went out this morning.

Kamil

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Toni, that would be really helpful, having it posted here. While it is in transit and driving Mark bonkers, we can be reading each others posts on what to do with it when we get it. I know I need help.

Maybe it should have its own thread???? Then at the end that can be where we post what rooted and so on to keep up to date with each other???? Just thinkin out loud.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

gardenmom I Think that is a wonderful Idea. I would love everyones best methods and success rates for each as some of the stuff i am getting I have not rooted before.

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

I totally agree gardenmom2! Maybe Mark can start a thread on it and we can supply our research for each of our cuttings, bulbs, seedlings etc. I know there's a lot missing out there on this kind of info. But in your post be sure to supply the type of plant or name. It will make it searchable to those looking for the info down the road.

I have learned so much from GW just by typing in questions in google and it brings up threads in GW.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Wheeew...my one big ole box is at the post office late tonite. Some of the cuttings are rooted, some are not. All have been treated with rooting hormone, wrapped in a damp paper tower with super thrive and bagged.All have been labeled. Angled cut on the bottom, straight cut on the top.
    For those who got the Lady Margaret Passion Flower there is enough vine in each to make several node cuttings. Some say root it in water, some say in rooting cubes after treating with a rooting hormone and I've heard about using the florist foam too and a propagator. I've got node cuttings in the propagator now,treated w/rooting hormone and stuck in pots. Wish me luck....LOL.

Mark, I tagged all cuttings grouped them to who they belong too, and wrapped them in newspaper and again labeled who it belongs too. All you or your helpers have to do is put them in their new owners box. I included return postage. If it's not enough let me know and I'll send more w/paypal or your choice.
    The next swap date works for me as well.

Hope everyone likes the plants and cuttings I've sent their way. I know I apprecieate all that everyone has sent in and the effort it took to make it happen. Thank-you so much everyone.

Regina

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Please pray for no snow!! Well regardless, I'll be making my way out tomorrow. We brought the 4 wheel drive home tonight, so things should be okay. I don't mind driving in the snow...it's worrying about the idiots that can't drive in the snow...rather stressful and frightening. I'll get packages out in the AM!

Yay!!! packages are shipping out and should reach Mark in the next couple of days. Oh my can you imagine the cuttings that will be in Mark's house??? I can picture it....almost like Patty and Fran's swaps with all those little seed pkgs lol.

Sorry Mark, mine are not marked by each participant, but I did include a list of what goes where. If I'd have separated them it would have taken 4 boxes. I included postage for two lg flat rate boxes...not sure if it will take that and if it does take more, please let me know and I'll PP funds to you.

Anyway, take care, all :)

Toni

15 years ago

I finally got my large flat rate box stuffed full. Whew! I didn't realize that I had so much to send in after all! :-)

I had to put just the smallest Kennebec potatoes in, but at least everyone who accepted my offers got them. I am exhausted right now... I decided I would stay up until I got it done, and that was right now...

Well, I have more to say after I wake up... I am still sick, but I managed to not once cough or sneeze on anyone's cuttings! LOL

Oh, and I took the suggestion to just label and package everything with the participant's name on each individual item. I don't think it would have all fit as nicely in the large flat rate box if I didn't. This way you can fit things in the best you can like a jigsaw puzzle. Where there's a space that fits that shape, put that piece in. LOL!

I am glad you have the Scouts helping, Mark. It sounds like it'll be fun there with the food being cooked and everyone over. I would love to be there to enjoy the evening with y'all!

Blessings,
    Angela

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Mark, July -August sounds like a great time for me to do another swap. That is my best time for rooting everything.

I am packing today and will get to the po this afternoon. I will post a dc then.

Thank you so much, Linda

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Mark,
    My box is on its way to you. With us being neighboring states, I don't think it will take long. Here is the confirmation number: 0308 2040 0000 9722 0818

Linda,
    You know at first I thought about July and August for a cutting swap because, like you, that is when I usually root things and have pretty good success. Then I wondered about the double mailing from us to the host and then back to us and wondered about the newly rooted or unrooted cuttings traveling that long in hot weather. Gee, picking out a next time to do this might be harder... Someone probably has a good plan for this so we will see. By the way, I did include a few rose cuttings for you. Right now I can't remember what kind they are, but you will see that I rememebered. It seemed to take me so long to package my things yesterday that I never got around to pruning my roses bushes like I had planned. I need to get out there soon to water everything and move my winter sowing jugs to a shadier spot. It was in the 80s yesterday and very sunny - sure could feel the difference - I was moving a lot slower! LOL

Now, once this swap winds down, we will all have to keep in touch to let each other know what is rooting and how our plants are doing. As for hints about any cuttings I sent, I have no special suggestions. The way mine are packaged, the end in the dampened paper towels is the bottom. The only questionable thing I could think of was the Night Blooming Cereus cutting and I labeled it - the wide part is the bottom. That plant died a lot over the winter (it spends the winter in the garage) so all I could send was that one snip of a leaf. It is easy to root though so you should be fine with it.

Jeanne

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

It is so exciting seeing everyone sending out their boxes...it will be better than Christmas when my box finally arrives:-)

Mark, I found out that we can send any box Priority Mail so did not send in the flat rate box. I sent one large box with all the cuttings. I think I would have needed 3 of the large priority mail boxes. My postage was $15.15 for the one box but would have been $13.95x3 if I sent the other way. If you can fit my cuttings back into my box it would be great...if not I should have sent enough postage for my box and another. If not enough, let me know and I will paypal the rest. Kim

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Yeah, Kim, I mailed mine in a copy paper box and I did not have as much as you guys to mail. It will prob. cost me about $2654 to ship it back but thats ok. LOL I can't wait. Have lots of fun Mark. Hope you have a lot of food for those helpers, as they will be busy.

Nichol

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Hi Mark, I have packed all day, but my box is on it's way to you. The DC # is 0306 3030 0003 0544 4359.
    I may not have included enough postage for you to return it to me, so If you would email me your paypal addy, I will gladly send a little more.

I hope everyone likes everything.

Those of you hoping for the lantana, will be disappointed. They haven't broken dormancy yet. I will offer them again in the summer/fall/next swap when i will probably be begging people to take cuttings.

Jeanne, you are right about the heat. You and I could just meet in florence or something. I usually do not mail anything in August/september, but for some things, october is too late because they will already have set their buds for the next spring........ Oh well, I am sure we will figure it out.
    Thanks for adding in the roses and I made sure you got a couple of the Lady banks rose too.

Oh, one more thing. the sparkling Burgundy sasanqua and the Mary alice Cox camellia had some spots on the leaves and something that looked like it could be scale. I decided not to share the not so beneficial insects with you all and will try to clean them up and offer them again in the next swap too.

Thanks to everyone. Linda

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Well I've got one box on the way to ya. Second box will have to go out this evening on rush. I just couldn't decide about the monkey grass. These are pretty large clumps I am sending everyone and it's definitely going to raise the cost of your postage for SURE.... Does anyone prefer to just do a sasbe WHENEVER you're wanting to and just let me send you a flat rate box of it... or do you prefer to just get one big clump? I'm ready to dig em out.. but after I took out the 1st clump I figured I'd better ask!! The people getting monkey grass are: ladygreensleeves, ibartoo, angelady and grolikecrazy. Please let me know as these must go out by 8pm this evening to arrive in time.

Grolikecrazy - the Mtn Bluet is a big fat clump as well. I tried dividing it up and it was such a mess I just decided to send you a clump instead :P You can divide it up and get probably 10-15 plants out of it this way. It spreads out slowly so it will take no time to do a nice planting. I just didn't want to pull the bulbs apart and have it be in shipping 2-4 days total before going back in the ground!

The spider lily will NOT be able to go out in this swap. I dug them up last night and the bulbs are soft. I emailed the person that sent them, they said this is normal and that they ARE ok, but now is not a good time to try to box them up to ship. Apparently they have to be dug and dried out somewhat before shipping. I can either send those to rec'v these after they've dried or send them in the Fall swap. I'm fine either way!

It has been a crazy day.. spent the a.m. at an urgent care w/ my son's fiancee.... hours and hours! I was panicking trying to finish packing up the first box :P She is doing ok now tho :)

~Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hey Angela, you better be in BED lady!! :P Staying up til all hours when you're already sick.. Want me to mail you some chicken n dumplings? I made some last night for some 'comfort food'! :) Hope you're feelin' better!

~Wendy

15 years ago

I, too, am concerned with mailing in the summer because of the intense heat. We're regularly at 105, so even things in the ground are suffering. I imagine inside a hot box would cook them. BUT, it is the best time of year, too.... hmmmm....

Mark - My delivery confirmation number is 0306 2400 0002 1028 9050. I never have issues with most all mail, especially Priority Mail, but hubby said I worked too hard getting that together to not make sure it made it to you. LOL! Isn't he sweet? I'm not convinced Delivery Confirmation helps at all, but I guess a lot of people disagree with me. Steve also doesn't quite understand that it's not going to one person. He said, someone is going to be really happy with what all you sent. LOL! I hope a lot of someone's are happy with what I sent them.

Linda (ibartoo) mentioned that her plant hadn't come out of dormancy yet. Well, my Crepe Myrtle hasn't either. I'm not sure if that is a problem or not. I would rather have it to the budding stage, but it's not there. Isn't that what they call a "hardwood" cutting? I don't know if Crepe Myrtle's do well from hardwood cuttings, but if not, I'll happily send some more in the next swap. I'm going to try to start rooting some as soon as it breaks dormancy.

I also wrapped all the bottom, slanted ends of the cuttings, except the Dragon Fruit, which is not suppose to be wet until it's planted. You're suppose to let the cut end(s) dry and start forming roots hopefully that first week after cutting it. You'll know which end is down because it's slanted.

I barely had enough of the Dragon Fruit and a couple other things for everyone who requested, but I managed to get a cutting for everyone. They are small, but they're big enough to grow, which is what matters.

I also would like to vote for having a separate thread for instructions on our plants/cuttings and to keep in touch to let each other know how our cuttings are doing.

A few other updates on what I sent in:

The Crassula had been attacked my some cats, so I didn't have as much as I thought I would to share, and it looked a bit beaten up, but it was definitely still alive and hanging on. I just wasn't able to send 2 or 3 cuttings each. I just sent one small cutting per person, but that should be enough to get a start. I didn't even use rooting hormone and all my cuttings took the first time without losing one.

The indestructible houseplant had new growth, so I sent two leaves per person, so you might get two plants each or you could just plant them together since I didn't separate them.

For everyone who is getting the Purple Iris, I sent a very healthy sized rhizome with several roots and shoots coming off it. I trimmed back the leaves and flower stems to pack them.

On the pink 4:00 tubers, I sent more than one per person. Some were really small, some were much larger, so I sent 2 or 3 each depending on what size you got. The bigger the first tuber, then the less you needed in additional ones. I chose to send the biggest tubers to those in colder zones. You can dig it up every year, store it for the winter, and replant it. Most likely, everyone will get at least 2 plants from what I sent. The greatest thing about this plant is it's very drought tolerant. It rarely rains here and I might water them once every 6 or 8 weeks, if that. The bigger the tuber, the more drought tolerant it is. Now, just so you know and there is no surprises, mostly these will be pink, but maybe this was some kind of hybrid, but I occasionally get yellow flowers on my mother plant, but not all over it, just a few at the bottom. Don't ask me how that happens, because I don't know! LOL

Okay... I think that's about it for updates... LOL... if anyone made it this far, bless your heart.... :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

15 years ago

Wendy, I sure wouldn't mind a full box of monkey grass! It'll sure help me make some borders look GREAT!!! If you'd rather, I could just send postage to you directly. I think that would be great, but of course, it's not necessary. One plant could be divided to get me started. Let me know... I'm up for either way!

As for being sick and up all night... LOL... believe me, I wondered if I had lost my mind last night and this morning when I still wasn't done. LOL! I am SO glad that I got it all done and done well to the best of my ability. I am so proud of myself because I sure didn't feel like doing it. And, as for the chicken and dumplings, YES, ma'am! Send those right along! I'll be better in no time with that to comfort me. hee hee

Blessings,
    Angela

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Confirmation number for the package of cuttings I mailed today:
    Thanks, Alana

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Packages are on their way. 3 lg flat rates for a total of $40.50. Each box was at least 7 lbs two were over 10 lbs.

here are the DC's

Lotsa goodies :)

If I had sent them priority regular box, it would have run over $30 per box >:o YIKES!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Angela ~ I had the same issue on my crepe myrtle, it's dwarf to begin with, and it was a baby on top of that.. I cut some cuttings that look just like twigs, but there is a hint of green in the middle if you look close so I'm guessing they'll be ok! Looked pretty pitiful to me tho..lol I'm actually trying to root a cutting myself just to see what happens :)

Angela, that'd be fine on the full box. Just email me whenever you wanna do it. I have alot of beds to clean up and it spread out into the flower beds instead of just the border :P Don't think the chicken n dumplings will travel well hon.. better pass on that ..lol might make you ALOT sicker by the time you get it :P

Still looking to hear from a few others on the monkey grass, and if I don't in time we'll just sort it out for separate boxes or the Fall swap. Just lemme know which you'd each prefer :)

Thanks!
    Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Mark,
    I was just thinking - I don't know if the amount you asked us to send includes delivery confirmation. If it does not, it is totally okay to send to me without delivery confirmation. I think I have only had one piece of mail that has not arrived in about 25 years. (Well, at least that I know of...LOL)
    Jeanne

Angela, I hope you are feeling better. My goodness, you are being too hard on yourself, girl! You need some rest to get better.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Mark. I did not send money or stamps I thought since I have absolutly no idea how much it will cost to send all my stuff to just paypal ya. Just let me know and I will send it asap.

Thanks so much for doing all this your the best!

Tammy

15 years ago

Yes, I'm certainly going to catch up on my sleep tonight and not wake up until I absolutely have to... LOL!

Mark - I, too, didn't sent postage yet. Please, let me know how much to PayPal and where to send it, and I'll get it to you right away.

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Several swap members are sending extras. ON Saturday night, I will post a list of what is extra. Please check this thread about 9 PM Saturday. I will distribute the extra material the best I can by your responses. I hope that is fair.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Wendy.....I'm sorry I did'nt respond to you sooner about the monkey grass, I totally understand your dilemma. And waiting will not be an issue for me.

I think angelady has a good idea about keeping in touch or starting a new thread for the cuttings. If anyone needs help or advice on their new cuttings/plants please feel free to e-mail me.

Regina

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Nichol I got the seeds! Thanks a bunch! I LOVED the soap. (Hiding it behind my back in case she comes to swipe it again) Its going straight to the greenhouse. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Tammy

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

It was funny b/c I had already mailed it when you posted about her swiping your other soap. Hope you liked the seeds. (From heirloom march swap)

Nichol

15 years ago

And, I thought I was the only one getting swaps mixed up because I was in too many... hee hee... J/K... Of course, now I'm officially done with swaps finally... for awhile at least...

Mark - I'll be here Saturday night at 9 pm eastern with bells on.... LOL... I sent anything extra I had with your name on it. I thought you would like to keep them for you and your helpers.

On the Kennebec Potatoes, the package said "Good Chipping Variety". I thought those getting them would like to know that. Both the Kennebec and Yukon Gold said on the package that they were mid-season potatoes.

Blessings,
    Angela

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

YooHoo, it looks like my package arrived today according to my DC! I am always worried things won't get to where they belong on time. OK I have to admit I am EXTREMELY OCD when it comes to being on time. I honestly can only think of 3 times in my life where I was late for something (blush).

Angela, THANK YOU! for the birthday seeds! I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you also for sharing the red noodle bean...it was so nice since you had a limited amount. All the seeds will be planted and I am sure will taste great.

Hopefully I will be able to post Saturday night...although I am sure I will have way more than I should already coming to me. I warned the hubby but I am sure he will have a fit when things start coming out of the box/boxes
    :0

Mark I am sure you will be plenty busy on Saturday...I hope the weather is warm and the sun is shining down on you and your helpers and no wind! I got my head slammed good in the car door today from a wind gust. You know the cartoons where stars actually circle your head...well let me tell you it is true! I had someone run over asking if I was ok because he was sure I was going to pass out, luckily not! Anyway got a nice knot though.

Waiting not so patiently for my box to arrive...gotta find something to take my mind off of it...planted tomtoes yesterday...must start obsessing about the tomatoes...maybe that will work NOT! Kim

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh I'm just THRILLED! I found a seed starter for all my trays. It won't take any time at all to build and DS and I will be headed out tomorrow to pick up the stuff to do it. I've posted the plans below YAY!!! I have most of the stuff, but need a few more items...This is so exciting!!!!

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Dirt I love the post. I have some rigged shelving with little tiny undr cab. flourescent lights we ound at big lots but I have no room left and millions of things to plant still. I have been whining for my shelving and I think I can talkhubby into makng a pair of these so I will hush up. I think If I drape plastic over them, they will be alright in the garage. That or the basement but thenmy cat will getinto the dirt and dislocate my planted seeds. Has already happened this year twice. UGH. OOHHHH I have a plan and I have a couple flourecent lights already just need a couple more.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

15 years ago

Kim - Oh, heavens, girlfriend! That sounds so scary... have your husband check your eyes... oh, duh... you're a nurse, you know what to do... I feel terrible for you! You saw stars? I'm glad you didn't pass out!!! Also, I'm so glad you're happy with your birthday seeds! :-)

Toni - I can feel your excitement! I hope it's easy and quick to put together for you. I checked out the link. It looks good. I was thinking about just getting one of those plastic utility shelves and attaching lights to it. Is that too simple to work?

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Dirtdiggin ~ that is a NICE setup!! I wonder if I can get my son to help me build one too :)

Ladygreensleeves ~ that is no problem at all, I just picked up 4 flat rate priority boxes yesterday so whenever you all are ready I'll dig em up and send them on to their new homes :) One clump will break down into probably 15-20 plants and it'll fill in in NO time! :)

Mark here's my 2 DC#'s, I forgot to post them before:
    0308 0660 0000 8832 0484 and 0308 0660 0000 8838 9894

Thanks!!
    Wendy

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Angela, that is what I did. The prob. with it is I zip tied my tiny little lights on and have to prop up my flats until the plants are big enough. It is a huge pain. There is also really only room for 1 flat per shelf. I figured it out according to Lowes $ for lumber and the cheapest shop lights they show online and I think you could build one for around 75-80. In my opinion, by the time you purchase the shelving unit and a couple lights, you might as well do this. I think you will have much more room and it will work better as far as moving the lights up and down. Just my opinion, though. If you already have a shelving unit, it might make more sense to do that until later, but the lumber is only going to cost around 20 bucks right now, at least in my area. OSB is $6 and 2x4 or 1.77 here. I am not sure you can buy a shelving unit, even cheap plastic for that. I just need an upgrade or more room or something.

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got home from school, pulled my motorcycle into the car port and low and behold: I got home to 10 boxes!

2 from Toni
    one from Kamil
    two from Patti
    One from Linda
    One from Kim
    Two from Tammy
    and.. one from Utah. The return address is kinda wiped out, so not sure who yet! Gotta open them up!

I am sure more will come tomorrow.

Mark

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Kim, I love your blog. I am planning on stealing afew of your ideas. I love your propogator box. That will be my first project tmorrow evening, since of course, I will need it early next week. I am going to use your worm box too. I have worms on order and want to eventually use a large garb. can, but I want to put a layer of castings in first, plus I will use the maller bins this winter when it i to cold out in the garage. I am going to try sprouts with your sprouter and I REALLY love your idea on a seed saving bed inthe gaden. I think it will help me stay focused on the seeds. I can't wait to read more. You are bookmarked my dear friend. LOL Thank you.

Nichol

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Nice sight to see I bet Mark!! lol I'm irked mine wasn't there.. I guess tomorrow will be the final hurrah!

Kim has a blog eh? how'd I miss that!?! :P Where's the link? :D

Hugs everyone!
    Wendy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Yeah Mark so glad to hear they are arriving!

Dirtdiggin, I like those shelves also, thanks for sharing the link.

Angela, yeah I did actually see stars...and I am ok, now just a little embarassed.

Nichol, borrow all the ideas you want...that is why I put them in my blog..that and so I can remember some of my ideas myself...very poor memory LOL.

Wendy, yep I have a blog...nothing much but it is nice to know there are people actually reading it and it makes me feel good to know someone actually thinks I have some good ideas...dh thinks I am nuts most of the time...but then aren't most gardeners in the eyes of non-gardeners?

I'll try to keep in touch the next few days but I am on a brutal stretch of 5-12 hour shifts in a row...I'm gonna be one tired and sore girl by next Tuesday. Kim

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gonna go start a new thread. this should fill this one up.

Mark