Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Incredible Edibles - Ideas for May Swap

booberry85
16 years ago

Hello! Initially I was going to sponsor May's swap. I cannot do it at this time. My Mom will be going in for heart surgery the end of April. I'm sure I'll have my hands full. My idea was a "Second Time Around Swap," for those herbs & veggies that can be planted for a fall crop. If someone else can pick up the ball and run with it or has another idea for May's swap, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments (15)

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Becky,

I will be praying for your Mom, I will be going on vacation for a week in May and have some other obligations so I cannot host but will be glad to help with ideas.

How about "Great on the Grill Edibles" I like your idea Becky but I thought that might be a good one for later in the Summer to plant for Fall.

Come on everyone, we need ideas and a host!

Susan

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

I will be keeping a good thought for your Mom.

As for the swap, I am not that good with ideas , but I will keep thinking ...truthfully both of those ideas sound great to me LOL :)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A couple ideas I had been tossing around were:

1. Just fruits
    2. All purple (any fruit, herb or veggie that's purple: purple tomatoes, beans, carrots, peppers, eggplants, rutabagas, onions, plums, basil, etc.)

I like the "on the Grill" idea.

Someone please take over May's swap!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A couple more ideas:

*Pizza, Pizza - those edibles that can be put on a pizza (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, onion, broccoli, basil, oregano, marjoram, etc)

*On the Vine - those edibles that grow on vines (squashes, cucumbers, grapes, etc)

I'm a canner too. So I was thinking of a Cannable (watch the spelling!)swap. I don't quite have that formulated in mind yet.

Just some more ideas I thought I'd throw out there. I do plan on participating & hosting later this year when my Mom is up & kicking again.

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I'm not great with ideas but I will be willing to host if no-one else can do it.

the hard part about themes is some people may not have anything to fit it. like fruits, all I would have to send is wild blackberries, and I would be unhappy sending someone a box of those.

so it depends on the theme if I will be in the swap but I would still host it.

let me know
    michelle/micyrey

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Michelle! Since it would be your swap, you can pick the topic for the month. I was just tossing out some ideas to see if & what people are interested in. I like Sue's idea of "Great on the Grill Edibles" a lot.

Becky

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Thank you Michelle. When I started this group I didn't plan on hosting every month so I hope everyone doesn't think I bailed on this. I just had a desire to have a group for veggie gardeners and I am thrilled at the response. When I see some of the other groups I realize I am not as good an organizer as I thought. Some of the folks here do a phenomonal job putting the swap together.

Sorry about the APril swap, I know for me doing swap EVERY month gets challenging sometimes. Thanks for not all getting mad at me!

Looking forward to May's swap!

Susan

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

Has a May theme been decided upon yet??
    How about 'Growing Greens' it could be leafy veggies and herbs like: Spinach, lettuces or chards etc. and herbs like parsley and basil, thyme, oregano etc.

I do like the 'Great on the Grill' idea a lot...we do a ton of great grilling in the hot months LOL!! :)

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Gee, I like all of the suggestions, you all have great ideas.

We should pick one by April 15th so that we can start sign-ups and have partners to mail to on May 1st.

Susan

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    don't worry I have not disapered.
    I had an idea for may's swap
    " I Just Can't Have A Garden With Out........"
    everyone sends one or more of the seeds/plants they absolutly must have in their garden. and may be a little about why it is their absolute must have, along with any other extra seeds or plants they wish to include for their partners.
    what do you think, I will start the may post tonight or tomarrow.
    michelle

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd like to thank everyone for their concern. Mom came back from her cardiologist appointment yesterday. She's doing quite well since she got out of the hospital. So well in fact, that the cardiologist wants to put off surgery for a couple months and see how she does on just medication! Although she doesn't like the idea of being on a lot of meds, she likes that much better than open heart surgery (which is what the doctors in the hospital were saying a week ago!) If the meds aren't effective enough, then she can still have the surgery. The cardiologist told Mom to cancel the appointment with the surgeon she had for next week!

To keep somewhat on the topic of gardening, Mom's crocuses are up and blooming. I also started a Tiny Tim and Silvery Fir Tree Tomato plants for her which will be grown in containers. The seedlings are doing well.

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

:) I am so happy to hear that your Mom is doing so well!! That is just fabulous!! :)

• amanda_socal22
    16 years ago

Hi there,

I would love to join your May swap if I still can.... I like the "I Just Can't Have A Garden W/O" idea or the Great on the Grill..... Actually they all sound good to me!

Amanda

• purpleacres
    16 years ago

Howdee

I love the Cannable idea. I can hundreds of jars of food a year.

Acres

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know the sign up for May's swap is well underway. However, I had an idea for another swap (so many ideas, so little time). Instead of all one color, like purple I suggested above, how about favorite color! My favorite color is purple. So for me my partner might send me purple: carrots, basil, tomatoes, peppers, purple gardening gloves, etc. If someone's favorite color was orange, you could send them pumpkins, tomatoes, melons, etc. The only thing that might make it difficult is if someones favorite color is black or white.

Although I'm not participating in May's swap, I should be able to participate in later ones. Keep the ideas coming!