Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markcase1964

UPDATE: now cut that out bulbs and cuttingsround robin swap #8

markcase1964
15 years ago

Our boxes are on the way here, but the chatting is still going! Here is our new thread and the original guidlines.

We have filled 7 threads! Here we go for another one.

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.

This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)

Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)

Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)

Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)

Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)

Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Comments (150)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

May the road rise to meet ya,
    May the wind be always at yer back,
    May the sun shine warm upon yer face,
    The rains fall soft upon yer fields and,
    Until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of 'is hand.

Happy St Patty's Day!!!

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Happy St Patty's day to you all.

I have a new hoop house in my raised bed. I wrote about how to make one and my adventure in making one. If you take the time to read it, you will find out that sometimes a simple project turns out to be quite complicated. Kim

http://plantoneonme.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-adventure-into-hoop-house-building.html

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Okay pics of my seed starter will be posted shortly...gotta put my monsters on it first lol. DH wouldn't let me finish it cause it ended up being "his" project to complete lol. And we used some scrap boards that he needed to pick up from work, so free is good for me. hehe also Fine by me if he wanted to complete it, I had seeds to plant lol. So the delegating tasks (by subliminal messages lol) worked great ;) Gotta figure out how I did that...hehe :)

I think that if the bottles have plenty of vermiculite with the perlite, they would do great with shipment in the bottles. Especially if there are any volume of them. Yeah, the moisture is a problem with cuttings. They don't need much, but they do need some. I'm sorry some were lost to excessive moisture. If anything I sent was lost, please let me know. I can sure replace it as the trees etc, still aren't budding out, or are still dormant.

Oh hopefully I'll have fig cuttings available from a Brown Turkey fig and a Celeste Fig for next time. Just received two year starts in the mail. Got them EXTREMELY reasonable and raspberries too...not to mention some zin grapes. Hoping they grow well this season and have good growth to take a few cuttings next season. I'm into this cuttings thing!!! It's awesome!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

LOL KIM!!!!!!!!! I hear ya on those simple projects!!!

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Sorry I should have made the link clickable on building my hoop house. It is now listed below.

Toni I hope your figs do great for you. I am so excited about my babies coming. I wanted to get the hoop house done so I can start putting them outside for a little while each day for some good old sunshine. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop house

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

You'd never believe we're in zone 8B...our weather is absolutely NUTS!!!! It's been snowing, hailing, sunshining, gusting at wind speeds we don't want to discuss, and then it rounds it all off with a nice moistening torrential downpour of rain. We dress in layers here in WA. From Parkas and ski bibs that graduate on down to Spaghetti Strap tanks and shorts. You never know, when you leave your home, what you may end up with while you are out and about. Don't forget the sandals, cause socks and oxfords look pretty bad with shorts lol.

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

LOL LMAO. Kim, I just made my husband read your blog, and he is even laughing. I feel MUCH better knowing I am not the ONLY wife out there with simple gardening projects (whse husbands cant understand). TOOO FUNNY !!

You gave us quite a laugh and made us feel better. (This said as we are trying to finish a hoop style greenhouse).

By the way, my raised beds re 4 feet apart and I was having, . .. . UM issues wit bending the pvc for my "little" hoophouse I wanted over the raised beds. Is it easier to bend once one side is bolted down?????

LOL Thanks for your "expertise". BTW, don't ask your dh, b/c he will give me measurements that my husband will decide to use, and it will never get done. LOL (just kidding)

Nichol

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I have tons of projects listed up for the whole year (I'm trying to limit the ones I need help with from dh to one per week. LOL

I just have too many things I want done.

Kim - My tree tappin I believe is not going to do to great. I think I should have done it earlier as I think its not cold enough now for the sap to flow :-(
    I got about 1 1/2 cups out of four trees in two days. Not settin any records here and I heard its best to have at least 1 gallon before trin to reduce. Oh well at least I know for next year. I am going to leave them up for another couple weeks just in case it flows once or twice more.

Got a new camera today so I am going to start takin photos of some of my projects. I love seeing everyone elses and thought you may like to see some also.

Tammy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Nichol, yes bending the pvc is much easier when bolted down on one side.

Tammy, since you are in zone 7 I bet you would need to tap your trees in early Feb or even late Jan. If you get a couple nights below freezing, you will get a nice sap run but then I don't want the weather to get too cold for you anymore this year. It has been a great adventure in making syrup and I hope you try again next year. Kim

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Oh I am most def. going to be trying next year! I am torn between wanting it to freeze so I can have syrup but at the same time saying bring on the spring. LOL

Tammy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Well, I wanted spring to come myself, but I sure wish I could get back a couple months of winter right now! My first classes for my nursing will start on the Spring Interim, and I'm SO far behind on everything I wanted to plant. Oh, well! I guess the worst that could happen is I plant some this year and some next, right? That's not such a bad deal. LOL

I love the hoop house, Kim. It's funny how much work something simple can be, huh? You really had me smiling reading your blog on that one! I am definitely doing my big hoop house this fall. I want groceries year round growing in my garden!

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! :)

So.. is anyone else as terrified about rooting the rose cuttings as I am? lol I have read and read and researched and I am just HOPING that I've got it figured out! I can hardly bear the thought of losing any of those!

This tree-tapping sounds so darn cool.. only trees around my yard tho are pine trees and dogwood! :P I told my SO about you all doing that and he was really impressed :) He LOVES real syrup!

Kim I've been enjoying your blog :) GREAT info on there, so ty very much!! :)

'see' you all later!

~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Hi everyone -

Wendy - I am terrified also. Never done roses before and I reeealllly want those to root so bad also.

GREAT NEWS - I have SPROUTS! (in my wintersowing containers) I was sooo worried I didn't do stuff right. This was my first season doing wsing so I was a little nervous. I have sprouts in my maltese cross, catchfly, and basil! Yeah! I was sooooo excited.

Also tody me and DH filled the new veggie bed with compost soil so it will be ready for my seedlings soon. I am gettng ready to move everything outside to the greenhouse from my windowsil (those are all my special seeds I didn't want to take a chance on loosing) Doing great with germination in the windowsil. I am having problems getting my moonflower vines (not datura) to germinate. They keep rotting before they sprout. Out of 8 seeds 4 white and 4 lavendar I only got one lavendar to germinate. 1 is better than none but I really want one of the white ones also;-( Oh well this time I am trying a new method I heard about online. Take the seeds and put in a moist papertowel then in a plastic bag in a warm spot until they start to sprout then put in the dirt gentle. Has anyone tried this?

Tammy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Tammy, I use this method frequently with all types of seeds. Just make sure the papertowel is damp and not wet. A coffee filter works really also. Sometimes the roots get into the papertowel and you could break them...or trim around the root with scissors and plant papertowel bits and all. With the coffee filter, you don't have to worry about the roots getting tangled.

This is also a good way to see how well seeds will germinate. Take 10 seeds and place on the moistened papertowel or coffee filter. See how many germinate, if 8 of 10 germinate then you have an 80% germination rate. If only 5 germinate you may want to get fresher seeds.

Thanks also to everyone who took time to read my blog. I am really surprise how fun it is turning out to be. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow moonflower vines

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Tammy here is a discussion link on growing moonflower vines also. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: more on how to grow moonflowers

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Thanks Kim That was much appreciated and had lots of great information on it. I did do the soak and they swelled up but after I potted them I waited about a month and checked one of the seeds and it was mushy, I assume hat i rotted. ?? I threw them out and started again but didn't soak them this time. I just put nicked them and put them in the papertowel in a baggy. I put them on the top ledge of my stove hoping they would catch the heat to help them germinate.

Tammy

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness....my package is at our local hub....I should get it tomorrow :) YAY!!!!!! I was worried it wouldn't arrive before we depart on Friday! YAY!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!! Have lotsa vermiculite and perlite...and lotsa pop and water bottles to get stuff going. WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wendy,

I fear those rose cuttings,not because of rooting them, but all the thorns! They stuck me like crazy packing the boxes.. LOL!

Mark

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

LoL Mark.. I'm betting that is a totally justifiable fear! :) Your poor fingers..

I took cuttings a few wks ago of an Oak Leaf Hydrangea, didn't put any hormone on it, just stuck some cuttings in a flower box that's out on my porch. I'll be darned if there's not already new leaf growth already! woohoo! :)

My tracking # still just says it was accepted to ship by ups on 3/16. I do wish they'd update these things!!!

Hugs everyone!

~Wendy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Yeah I got my box today!!! It came at just the time I needed something good to happen. My husband and I just returned from his doctor and we were given some very bad news. I want to thank everyone now just in case I am out of touch for awhile. I am sure things won't go bad yet but may in the next couple weeks. Kim

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My box arrived today! I just had time to open it and plan to get busy planting now. There is so much in there! Wow! Anyway, thanks to Mark once again and thanks to all who sent things for me. All I have looked up information on so far are the garlic and the potatoes. Oh, my - it says to plant garlic in the fall and potatoes, by March 10th. I think I need to get a move on! I assume South Carolina may have different time frames from other parts of the country, but I started out by looking to see what it said about planting them in South Carolina. I will let everyone know how it goes. They are definitely getting planted...
    Kim, I am so sorry you got some bad news. I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.
    Happy planting, everyone,
    Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Kim honey, I'll keep you both in my prayers! Remember you have alot of friends on here that'll worry about you both!
    *BIG HUGS*

I got my box today too! I'm going to open it now!

~Wendy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Received my box today and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just packed full of all kinds of goodies! I really want to thank everyone who shared their plants and bulbs and again especially thank Mark and his crew for all the hard work!

Joan

15 years ago

My mail just came and GUESS what I got???? hee hee

I can tell it's packed full... Oh, I'm elated! I'm going to go open it up now and get to planting! I have a BUSY day ahead of me here! :-D

Kim, dear.... it breaks my heart to hear what you and your husband are going through again.... Whether you're on the forums or not, I will keep you two in mind in my prayers. (((((BIG HUGS)))))

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim,

I am sorry to hear you have bad news. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mark

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Hey all, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful things I got in my box. I planted whatever was
    rooted up and placed them in my hoop house. The cut potatoes were planted in large pots since I was afraid they would not last and I certainly want some of the blue, purple and all reds on the table this year. The cuttings went into the propagator also. I am now at my granddaughter's house so her parents can sign her up for kindergarden next Sept.

I am very emotional today and didn't want my husband to see me upset. We were told today that he will need another liver transplant as his current one is in full failure. I knew for awhile he was sick but didn't realize it was so bad. We were told he has about 6 months left so hopefully he will receive another miracle and be around for another 7 or more years. It is very difficult to pray for a miracle since it means someone else must suffer the ultimate loss. Anyway things on the forum will be hit and miss for me for awhile since he has lots of testing to go through the next couple weeks. Once the testing is completed, he will be a very high priority on the transplant list which means he could be transplanted anytime. Last time we had more warning and were able to get things together more but if God gives us that miracle we will be ready to go if necessary.

I am just so happy to have so many wonderful people here that I can lean on if needed. Thank you all so much and please keep John in your prayers. Kim

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Mark,

I GOT IT that is a HUGH box! I just opened it up and spread it all out. YEEEAAAAAAA

I don't think I was fully prepared for that much. I truely didn't realize how much it would be and am just starting to pot them up...

Yeah! I will come back when I am done and post everything.

I can tell my stevias most likly are not gonna make it. :-( I think they got smushed in the mail. But I am going to pot them anyway just in case they are rooted enough to send up a new shoot. I can also tell my all blue is most likely not gonna make it. It was very soft and moldy But all the rest looks very good and I am soooooo excited.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!! My wonderful box of goodies just arrived. HOLY COW There's a bunch of stuff in there!!! YAYYYYY I'm going to learn so much about these things!!!!

Thank you to everyone and Thank you Mark!!! What a wonderful swap it has been. I'll take pics of my goodies when I arrive back home.

Take care everyone and Kim I hope everything works out for you and your DH. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Toni

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

My box arrived today as well and I spent all afternoon potting everything up. Most everything did well.

Kim,you and your DH will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

I want to thank Mark for putting this swap together and his helpers for all their hard work.
    And Thanks to everyone else that offered their plants/cuttings/bulbs, and making this swap so much fun and educational.

Regina

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

aww Kim honey... bless your heart! You are both definitely in my prayers every night hon. I'm glad they are rushing the tests to be able to place him up on the high priority list.

*wish I could give you a great big hug!!!!

~Wendy

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. Kim I am praying for you and your husband.

I can't believe all of the stuff in my box. WOW and HOLY COW> LOL I spnt the last two hours planting as fast as my hands could go. I still have more but have to get to bed and still have to wrap baby shwer gifts for school tomorrow. I planted everything I thought had to be done this second and just have a few dormant "sticks" as my daughter continues to call some of them. LOL I have to say though, she was very curious and full of questions and I have aleady learned alot. Just from the diff. packing techniques used and some of the things that are rooted already. Really suprised me. When it is all planted up, I will take pic's Sat. and post them. I can't believe all of the pots I already potted up and then there are the propogating tub. I am going to do a tub tomorrow differently than the one I did tonight. Tonght was more about getting things in dirt/seed mix that I mixed together and watering it well. It will be fun to watch and learn. I know one thing. I am not scared anymor to cut off something and try. That is the biggie.

Good night everyone.

Nichol

Thanks sooo much for all of the gifts everyone. It is truly woderful.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

I'm sorry Kim, your post didn't show up when I posted last. It's so strange to come back and see new posts above what you last posted... :o/

I'm so sorry for your DH's medical issues. I do hope and pray that they will find a timely donor. I know it's sad to think of the situations, but there's nothing wrong with a prayer for a timely match. We've all seen miracles and I hope and pray that one will be ear marked in your direction.

Be strong.

Toni

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Kim I just want you to know I will definately be adding you onto my pray list I will also ask my church to pray for you and your husband. I am so sorry you must go through that again. I am here if you need to talk. I will email you my number. **Hugs**

Just wanted to let everyone know I am very thankful for everything everyone sent. I got about 75% of it all done but the last 25 is going to have to wait till tomorrow. It came on the only day I actually have to go in to work (thursdays) so I got home late but started right when I did. I am just now stopping and I know I will have more tomorrow... Here are some pics of what I got and how I am rooting them.

Check out my swap update page

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Oh Kim,my heart goes out to you and your husband, may God bless you in these trying times, and give you peace, and a timely donor, you will be in our prayers.
    My box arrived this afternoon also and I am simply dazed and speechless, simply speechless!
    .............I hope I will do justice to all of your kindnesses.....I just had time to clean them up and sort them out and open the baggies, and rewet a few things, and remove rotten leaves and open baggies to let some air in...
    I am not worried about the rooted plants and bulbs, it's the cuttings that have me tied in knots, I am plannin to root them outside tomorrow in the shade, in a kiddy pool with drainage holes, filled with a mix of good compost and screened sandy topsoil. But the tropicals, which I will pot individually. I hope that is the right thing to do! Thank you so very much everybody.
    Chris

15 years ago

Oh, I hope I don't lose any of these awesome new babies... ugggh.... I'm fretting like crazy! My whole large (seats 8) kitchen table is covered still from end to end! How on earth did all this fit into one box without anything suffering because of it???? LOL! I have been busy since 4 pm until now... I WAY underestimated how much work this would be...

I looked at your page, greenthumbgrow.... hmmmm.... I'm individually potting each cutting... it's taking forever... maybe I should do what you did... or maybe I should do the kiddie pool idea of Chris's.... I also opted for placing them outside under my front porch awning rather than in my propagation window in my kitchen... I ran out of room a long time ago on there... ugggh... (uggh in a good way, of course!) LOL!

I am simply amazed at how well most things made it to me after being in the mail, being at Mark's, then being in the mail again! All my hesitation about doing this at this time of the year is thrown out the window... almost everything was healthy, green, and budding out. It was far from too cold... any later and my plants would have probably fried in the mailbox. The only two things that look bad is the stevia from batch one and the 3 colored potatoes (the red, blue, and purple ones). I am recutting them and letting them dry again and hope they won't dry moldy now that they're not packaged for mailing... I'm thinking they just didn't get enough air in the box.

Well, back to potting up more cuttings! I am so utterly shocked at how much there really is here! I hope that just because I'm a new gardener and have no idea what I'm doing that it won't affect my "beginner's luck" that I'm wishing for! :-D

Kim - I have seen miracles that doctors had nothing to do with, so I will be lifting up John in prayer believing ALL things are possible! I continue to lift my own daughter up for the same kind of miracle. I didn't use to believe in these kind of miracles, but God has sure shown me different!

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Angela I'm feeling that fretfulness right along w/ you! Mine will also be going on my front porch since it worked so well for the hydrangea cuttings I did. Not sure about the rose cuttings yet tho.. they seem to need more of a greenhouse setting.. might go grab a BIG clear container and work w/ that..

The only things that didn't make it in my box were the donkey's tail and all the mints. They were all moldy mush..lol I've tried to trade for mints 4times now and have never had any luck w/ it. The lil primrose in a pot was dried up but I have it sitting in a dish of water now so it should come back just fine :) I do think the copy paper boxes are not the best to mail in tho, mine arrived squashed on one end, I don't think the cardboard is strong enough for shipping. Nothing inside was affected tho thank goodness! I asked the postman if he sat on it.. he didn't find my comment very funny.. LOL (I did )

After seeing how many different ways people did this, I have many better IMPROVED upon ideas for myself in the next swap. Next time I'll start rooting cuttings the minute the swap is announced :D Then even if noone claims them, I'll still have them as available plant trades either way. I'm looking at all my new babies rooting and I am so very thankful and excited!! You all have made my year! seriously! lol I do hope we carry on a thread as we talk about our rooting adventures :)

THANKYOU so much everyone! THANKYOU Mark for all your hard work as well! This has been a fantastic and educational experience for me!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

You all must've contacted my mailman in person, because he didn't say anything about me having a box today. And usually, he does. But, today, I came home and found a box by my front door, and when I saw that it was from Mark, well, let's just say you all not only surprised me, but just about knocked me off of my feet. I've been home just long enough to say hello to the cats and look through the box of goodies. Shortly, I'm heading off to the store for more pots to put everything in.
    To say that I'm overwhelmed would be putting it mildly.
    In that box, I found a lot of things... seeds, plants, cuttings, and cards. But there was one more thing I found that was bigger than the box, and that thing can only be called LOVE.
    In the words of the Fonz (remember him?), "I'm getting a little misty here!"

One of the reasons I dropped out of this swap was because of what's been going on with my younger sister. She had fallen in December and suffered a head injury. As a result of that injury, there was swelling of the brain, some bleeding, and some memory loss. She works in research at the Mayo Clinic, and because of her injuries and memory loss, hasn't been able to return to work yet. Being the type of person who can't stand to sit still, she decided to utilize her time off and do some simpple remodelling in her home. Lisa painted one of her spare bedrooms, and installed some wood flooring in a hallway. Unfortunately, because she wasn't completely thinking straight, she did not read the labels on the paint and flooring, and commenced to do her work while living in the house, not opening the windows to air it out while she worked. The brain swelling and bleeding stopped, and she could've returned to work this week, but she was still suffering from some memory loss, which the doctors could find no physical reason for that related to her injury in December. She missed two of her doctors' appointments early this week, and when she didn't show for her third one, the hospital staff went looking for her. They found her in her home, working on her house, but unable to even tell them what day it was. The flooring she'd bought was manufactured with formeldahyde, and since the house was closed up still, she'd been working and living in the fumes for about 2 weeks. She's now in Mayo Clinic, on oxygen, while they test her to determine how much damage there's been, and to clean out her body. It's been a couple of days since anyone has heard from her, but we're hoping to hear good news sometime this weekend. It's been a rough road these past couple of months, being so far away from her and not being able to fix it all for her.
    This past month at work all the rural mail routes have been under evaluation, which is how our yearly salary is determined, and that's been kind of like the icing on the cake for me.
    When I dropped out of this swap, it was because I was feeling overwhelmed and unable to do anything about it. Fortunately, the stress is becoming a little less as time goes by.
    So, let me begin to wrap up this booklet of an entry by thanking you all. I feel like I've got a group hug going on right now, and that's because of all of you. I'm gonna have to go dry my eyes shortly because yeah, my eyes have been a bit misty for the last hour since I found that box and realized what you all did.
    Thank You For Overwhelming Me With Your Love!

-Dan

15 years ago

Wendy - ROFL! I think that was funny whether the mailman did or not! I like that you didn't just think it, that you said it! hahahahahaha! I'm glad all your cutting, etc., made it okay despite the box looking like it was sat on. hee hee

I, too, think I'm gonna start rooting my cuttings for the next swap right away. I appreciate those of you that did that for some of your cuttings for us! I can't thank you, Mark, and everyone for all the trouble you went to so that the rest of us could be so blessed! I am so blown away!

On the roses, I did what Jeanne said. I don't recall whether she tents them or not. Hmmmm.... I might tent those to keep the humidity higher if you guys think it'll help.... let me know what your thoughts are....

Awwwww... DAN!!!! I'm SO glad! We do love you, my friend! Thanks for the update on your sister. I'm sorry she (and you) are going through so much. I'm praying for a speedy recover without any permanent damage from fixing up the house. I hope all goes well at work. You do everything with a passion, so I'm sure the higher ups at your work will know what a great job you're doing! (((((HUGS)))))

Okay, I'm off to pot up more plants... We're suppose to have a lighting/thunder storm with large wind gusts this weekend. What do you do when your cuttings are outside like this to protect them???

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

We do love ya Dan :) I'm finding that gardeners are wonderful loving and generous people. I'm so glad to be a part of this group! :)

Hugs!
    Wendy

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so glad everyone is getting their boxes and enjoying them.

I was so worried that it leaked out to you, Dan that we were sending things to you! We have been sneaking emails behind your back to make sure you got what you wanted and a few more things.

Well, I need to do some potting myself. I was a bit behind with school and doing the swap last weekend, so now I am a little caught up.

Thank you to everyone for letting me host and participating.

Mark

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Well we're off! Have all my cuttings and everything potted up and in moisture tents to await my return :) Hopefully I'll be able to share more pics of new roots when I return :)

Thank you everyone and take care of yourselves. I'll miss coming here and posting and checking in on everyone.

Dan - You and your sis will be in our prayers. I'm so sorry she and you have gone through so much. I can only imagine. Be well, be strong and take care.

Toni

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Mark, don't you know by now that when there's something sneaky to be done, we're all pros? LOL! I didn't get so much as a whisper about what you guys were doing! I do have some questions about what was sent though. I've got all the cuttings and rooted plants potted up tonight, and I'm saving the bulbs and irises for tomorrow afternoon after work. There was a plant with a lot of roots wrapped up in a newspaper inside of a white plastic bag that wasn't labelled. Does anyone know what it is? And lastly, is the aloe vera safe for cats to be around? It's a beautiful start, and I'd like to keep it in the house year round, but if it's not safe for the cats, I'll have to keep it in the terrarium.
    Thanks again to everyone for making my day. I've now got dirt under my nails and in the cracks on my fingers, another sure sign of SPRING!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

FINALLY got all mine put away. I worked until 10 last night and all day today.

Now tomorrow I am starting on my veggie garden. Yeah! I can finally put out my cold weather veggies.

So glad everyone is enjoying everything so much. I also recieved two plants with no labels assuming they fell off durring switch over. Not sure what they are. I will post a pic tomorrow and hopefully someone can tell me what I requested. LOL

Good night everyone!

Tammy

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dan,

The aloe plants are both safe for the cats. Grow away. You should have both plants.

Hmmm... a tag must have come off somewhere. Lots of roots in newspaper>..... I thought we at least wrote on every paper what things were. Did you look for a sharpie on the paper what it was?

Glad we were able to surprise you.

Mark

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going on a backpacking hike with my scouts tomorrow and Sunday. If this thread gets full, would someone please open a new one?

I am bringing a pocket knife, a baggie of rooting hormone and yes, if I find something interesting, I will be making cuttings!

The water finally went down so that I can get to the coral berry and bambooo. I will be happy to send during the summer swap.

Mark

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Just stopped in to say Hi to everyone. Dan so glad you got your surprise!

I am looking forward to the fall swap and with God's help, John will have had his transplant and be healthy again. If I miss the posting for the swap later in the year, I am counting on you all to let me know.

I had a picture of all my rooted plants all potted up but I was cleaning pictures out of my FULL camera and must have accidently erased it. They all went into the new hoop house my husband built me (except the house plants and banana). All the cuttings went into the propagator. I put the 3 cut potatoes into large pots and will either leave them there or very carefully transplant them out into a larger home when the frost has past...but it will probably be too late by then. I still have 10 more potatoes to plant, YIPEE, when the time is right. I put all the iris into a huge pot and am sure it will be beautiful. Later in the year, they should have multiplied (as iris do) and then I can divide and replant out in permanent beds. I was hoping to get some flower beds together this year but it probably won't happen until the fall now. Of course the more stressed I get, the more work I seem to get done LOL. I get a nervous energy that I wish I could package..well that and insomina due to worry (that I could do without).

I still have to figure out what to do with the garlic since technically it should be planted in the fall. I think I can plant into pots or garden and let grow in the summer and then transplant in the fall. I have some growing in the hoop house now that I planted last fall (if you look at my blog you will see where) behind the lettuce.

My next job is to make a list of 1) everything already planted 2) everything in the propagator and 3) what I have left to plant (potatoes and garlic). I want to put this on my blog. I especially want to be able to update the blog later to let everyone know how my plants are doing.

Oh yeah, Jordan was over for a couple hours last night and just kept saying OH COOL! when we looked at all the plants...and of course she helped me pot up a few things.

Well gotta TRY to sleep as I work the next 2 days, 12 hour shifts. If it is not too crazy at work, I may have a few minutes to check in. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's blog

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

I recieved my box yesterday and spent all of today planting. I want to thank everyone for their hard work and time. Hopefully all of these cuttings will root and flourish.

Mark, thanks you for all your hard work, it is truly appreciated.

Dan, the root in the newspaper might be evergreen blackberry? I recieved 3 of the same roots and only one was labeled so I am assuming they are the same.

As for the summer swap...Mark any idea whic month it will be in? I want to be here for it and I wont be home end of june - july.

Kamil

15 years ago

Dan - I got the same thing in newspaper inside of a grocery store plastic bag. It had a lot of roots with some kind of pinkish shoot coming up. I really want to know what it is, too!

Toni - I hope you have a great trip. We'll miss you while you're gone!

Thanks again for your generosity, everyone! I am still in shock over here... :-D

Blessings,
    Angela

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone, I finally got my package today. It arrived yesterday and I was not home to sign for it. I was at the Arboretum for a Monster Tomato Sale. I stood in line to get my package and I am thrilled. I worked on potting things up this morning. I am sad to hear that the mints did not make it. I was so careful to do it last minute but I guess they could not wait over a week. I am just looking at ways to make it work for next time. I am guessing to maybe pot them up but that is harder to ship all of that.

I need some help. I received a plant, it was cut back and it was dug up and it looks great but no tag or anything written. The newspaper it was wrapped in is from Oregon so maybe Patti? I potted it up already but I sure would like to know what it is. It was wrapped in newspaper and inside a Wal-Mart plastic bag if that helps. Everything else was clearly marked.

Thanks everyone for sharing your wonderful plants with me and to Mark for putting it all together. I am sure it was LOTS of work. I guess timing is everything, the lemongrass and raspberries that could not make the trip are sprouting and looking decent now. What a difference a week makes. I worry in the summer months about doing another swap, I am afraid they are going to cook but I will go with whatever you guys decide.

Nancy

15 years ago

I started the new thread for Mark and included the link below.

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Now Cut That Out! (bulbs and cuttings swap) #9