Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliesfun

NEW: I.E. Heritage Heirloom Swap

elliesfun
12 years ago

This is the last "Incredible Edible" swap until November. I am sure many of you have already been planting your gardens. Here in Eastern Washington the ground is still trying to thaw out so we are still waiting to plant our vegetable gardens.

All heirloom seeds are open pollinated which allows the gardener to collect seeds from this year's crop for planting next year. Most heirlooms are not used in the commercial market due to their short shelf life and shipping stability. These varieties are excellent for the home gardener and the field-to-table such as Farmer markets. If you are not sure if your seeds are heirlooms please look them up on the internet before sending. If the seed package says F1 they are hybrids.

DETAILS OF THIS SWAP:

1. You may send as many packets as you would like, but try to limit to no more than 3 packets of the same variety.

2. Please send your seeds in a BUBBLER MAILER. I will reuse the envelope to return your seeds to you.

3. Make a LIST of the seed varieties that you are including. Makes sorting easier. I will try to send back all new and different varieties of seed depending on what is sent in. Gardner's like variety, so try to include as many as you are able. Seeds should not be older than 2011. They can be commercial or from your garden. Onions, parsnip seeds do not germinate if they are older than a year.

4. The deadline for signing up for this swap is April 25th and seeds need to be mailed by April 30th. I will try to have the seeds sorted and on their way back to you by the middle of May.

5. In your bubble mailer include:

� Your seeds for the exchange

� A label with your return address

� Enough postage to get your package back to you

� A list of the seeds you have included

� A WISH list

� Extra money for delivery conformation is you prefer

Please sign up on this tread. After signing up remember to send an email message to me asking for my address. In the email please include your full name, mailing address and GardenWeb name.

OK! Are you ready to join the swap? Who wants to be first? You know you wanna! We all love to eat so let's start going through our boxes to see what we will send.

Ellie

Comments (54)

• spacetogrow
    12 years ago

This swap looks like a lot of fun, but I want to check a few things.

People have many ways to define "heirloom". Are you saying that any open pollinated variety can be included, even if it was stabilized/introduced just a few years ago?

Do you have any guidelines on minimum number of seeds per pack, and age of the seeds?

Are people invited to send extras if they have a lot more than 3 packs of some varieties and they just want to do a clean-out?

Thank you.

• apoppyfield
    12 years ago

I want to join. I don't have a lot of edibles, so I'm looking forward to this one.

• SubruralGirl
    12 years ago

Sounds fun! Please sign me up! sending you an email.

• itzybitzy_gw
    12 years ago

I would love to participate and since is my first group trade I do have the same questions as SPACETOGROW.Sign me up!

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! I guess I should have come into the house during the day to check emails. This is the first day without rain or snow in over a week and starting tomorrow for the next 7 days it will be rain. I just had to get my beds cleaned out before the plants were a foot tall and by then its too hard to clean out the old stems.

To answer some questions: Age of your seeds that you are sending should be no older than 2009. Although parsnips, onions, okra are usually only good for one year. After that they don't germinate as well. If you are not sure if your seeds are viable do a test. If you are not sure if they are heirloons...google to find out. Although there are a lot of sites out there, most say an heirloom is at least 50 years old.

The amount of seed to send I would say for large seeds such as beans, melons, corn etc about 20-25. Smaller seeds such as radishes, carrots about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Send the amount that you would like to receive back. I did limit the packs to 3 of the same variety. If everyone sent in 3 packs of the same variety you would get 3 back. Hopefully this won't happen.

Welcome to the swap:
    booberry85
    christine00
    apoppyfield
    subruralGirl
    itzybitzy

If you have any more questions please ask. I will send each of you an email also. Hope everyone's weather was as nice as ours today.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone,

I see it's raining out just like the weatherman said...so glad I worked outside all day even though by last night I could hardly walk.

The list is growing:

booberry85
    christine00
    apoppyseed
    subruralgirl
    itzybitzy
    farmergirl
    spacetogrow

Hope everyone has a nice day! Since it's raining I think I shall clean house.

Ellie

• julia42
    12 years ago

Hi! I'd like to play too!

Should packets be labelled with the year and whether they were commercial or hand collected? I personally like to know this info when I get trade seeds, especially with seeds like cucumbers and squash, where cross-pollization may be an issue for hand-collected seeds...

• lorabell_gw
    12 years ago

Also my first exchange....please sign me up. Thanks.

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome julia42 and lorabell. I am so glad that there are gardeners that do use heirlooms simply because you can save the seed from your gardens and use for next year. It sure cuts down on the money that is spent each year buying seeds.
    We have the following that have signed up for this swap and there is still plenty of time to sign up if you are still just thinking about it.

booberry85
    christine00
    apoppyseed
    subruralgirl
    itzybitzy
    farmergirl
    spacetogrow
    julia42
    lorabell

Have a wonderful evening! Rained all day here.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just checking in to see what everyone is doing. Hope that some of you have nice weather...suppose to rain for the next several days again. One radio station said that this summer is going to be hot and dry so I guess I shouldn't complain about the weather. Would be nice though to be able and roto till the garden and then add more compost before roto tilling before I plant.

I also have been going through my seeds for the exchange. It's amazing just how many are heirlooms. Not even realizing it, but most of the seeds I plant are heirlooms. I usually plant the same types of seeds that my Mom did 60 years ago. Very seldom do I buy anything new.

Any new lookers out there that haven't made up there minds about joing? Still lots of time to decide. I see the fog has lifted finally. And for now its not raining so maybe I can get outside and do something.

Does anyone have a problem with ants this year? These are sugar ants but they are not in the kitchen as a person would expect. I got a feeling between the dogs and me we are bringing them inside. I picked up my jeans this morning to put in the hamper and under it was covered with these ants.

When it stops raining long enough I am going to spray around the house foundation also. Well guess I had better get this day started. Have a good one!

Ellie

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

Please sign me up.

Don

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone! It is raining here...as usual.

This was brought to my attention by another person signing up. Yes herbs are included but no flowers. There are plenty of other swaps for flowers even though some of you may use flowers in your salads etc. And also be sure to put the year and whether commercial or hand collected seeds on your packets. Thanks!

Welcome Dem_pa to the seed swap. Glad to have you join us.

It's getting closer to Friday..yea!

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So glad its the weekend! How about you? So far it's not raining. It has rained everyday this week and I need to get outside and start something . It's pretty cloudy out though. The weekends have been pretty busy just going to different gardening workshops. Its surprising "when you think you know everything" at what you learn. Every Saturday in April is also another workshop on some aspects of raising vegetables.

I received apopyfield's seeds a couple of days ago. My son put the mail in the garage so I didn't see it.

We have the following who has signed up so far:
    booberry85
    christine00
    apoppyseed / rec'd
    subruralgirl
    itzybitzy
    farmergirl
    spacetogrow
    julia42
    lorabell
    dem_pa

There is still plenty of time for other gardeners to sign up. Anyone sitting back and just thinking about it. You have until April 25th to sign up. Come on...you know you want to sign up...just do it.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As we start April, I am sure many already have their gardens planted. I for one, still deciding on what to plant. It will probably be another 4-6 weeks before we can plant here...rain and snow today. It has been reported to be the wetest spring on record.

To keep "thinking gardening" I have been attending several seminiars. This saturday is the Spokane Community Garden kick-off. Not only will there be talks on community garden, etc but also a seed exchange. Then in the afternoon I am attending a potato and tomato workshop. I have never grown potatos successfuly. They always are mushy. Yuck! Maybe I can learn what I am doing wrong.

Sign-ups are still 21 days away. You will have time to sign up and send in your seeds. Have a wonderful day wherever you are located.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Getting closer to the end of the week and its Easter weekend too! What plans do you have?
    My kids and grandaughter are coming over for dinner. Need to figure out what to make to go with the ham.

Rec'd seeds for Julia42 today. Thank you for sending so quickly. Have a great evening everyone!

Ellie

• clay_lady
    12 years ago

I love heirloom tomatoes. I'd love to join. clay_lady

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A beautiful day...we haven't seen sun in a long time. Welcome Clay_lady to the swap. Glad you are joining us.

Saturday I am going to attend the community garden kick-off season. There will be speakers and also a seed exchange. I have had my seeds ready for 2 weeks. Can you tell I am excited? In the afternoon I will then attend another gardening event on planting potatoes & tomatoes. Should be a fun day!

Have a great weekend.

Ellie

• spacetogrow
    12 years ago

My package of seeds is in the mail.

It looks like frost in my area for the next night or two. Hey, that will make for seasonal conditions for just about the first time all winter. What a strange winter.

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

I mailed my seeds this afternoon.

Don

• Jedonne
    12 years ago

I think I'd like to try this. haven't done RR before.

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Welcome Jedonne and I will send you an email.
    Did everyone have a nice Easter? Big klutz here, I was getting the ham ready for the oven and I cut 2 of my knuckles pretty deep. Probably should have gone into ER and had stitches. Going to be some scares I am afraid.

booberry85
    christine00
    apoppyseed / rec'd
    subruralgirl
    itzybitzy
    farmergirl
    spacetogrow
    julia42 / rec;d
    lorabell
    dem_pa
    clay_lady
    jodonne

There is still a couple of weeks to join if anyone hasn't decided whether or not to sign up.

Today the temperature was 75 and sunny but tomorrow its suppose to rain again for a few days again. Of all the rain we have had, the ground is getting on the dry side. The sprinkler guy is coming tomorrow to turn on the system.

Have a good evening everyone.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received spacetogrow's seeds today. Shall put them with the others. Thank you for sending.

Since it is too cold to plant the vegetable garden I have been working in the flower beds. I dug out all the perennials from one of the beds (over 150) to dig out the grass and amend the soil. Hopefully by this weekend I can get all the plants back into the ground.

Have a good evening.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    The weekend came and went. Funny how that happens. I received Dem-pa's envy on Friday. Thank you for mailing.

I worked outside all weekend replanting those perennials that I dug out last week, but only got about half-way done. Can't believe with all the rain we have had how dry the ground is. I had the sprinkler system turned on last week although I haven't ran it yet except in the orchard.

We have about 10 days before this swap closes so if anyone else would like to join, please let me know. And also the seed packages are due on the 30th for those who haven't sent their's yet.

Have a great week everyone.

Ellie

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Bubble mailer is on the way! Here's the DC# 0312 0090 0000 6166 4482.

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Ellie,

I should have read further into the posts after I signed up. I didn't realize flowers were NOT included. You'll get a package with a zip baggie full of veggies and a zip baggie full of flowers. Just send the zip baggie of flower seeds back to me and include the zip baggie of veggie seeds for the swap.

Sorry!

Becky

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Friday!
    If you are still contemplating on signing up for the heirloon seed swap, you have 5 days in which to do so.

Received booberry85 yesterday. Thank you for sending. Seeds are do April 30th.

booberry85 / rec'd
    christine00
    apoppyseed / rec'd
    subruralgirl
    farmergirl
    spacetogrow / rec'd
    julia42 / rec'd
    lorabell
    dem_pa / rec'd
    clay_lady
    jodonne

Another rainy day here. I need at least a week with no rain to get the weeding/dead heading done. I just may have to endure the rain...guess I won't melt.

Ellie

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Okay,...I'm in! :)

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to the swap cryptid. Sending you an email.

Ellie

• Christine00
    12 years ago

Pleasse drop me from this swap. So sorry

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today is the last day for sign-ups so if you have been contemplating on whether to sign up...do so today. Seeds are due the end of the month.

Getting another rainy spell here. Been thinking about putting black plastic down in order for soil to start to warm up so that I can plant at least spinach, lettuce, onions, etc. Has anyone done that and does it work?

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Received clay_lady's seeds today.

booberry85 / rec'd
    apoppyseed / rec'd
    subruralgirl
    farmergirl / rec'd
    spacetogrow / rec'd
    julia42 / rec'd
    lorabell
    dem_pa / rec'd
    clay_lady / rec'd
    jodonne
    cryptid

Don't forget these are due at the end of the month so that I can get them back to you. Thanks everyone.

Ellie

• cryptid
    12 years ago

"Getting another rainy spell here. Been thinking about putting black plastic down in order for soil to start to warm up so that I can plant at least spinach, lettuce, onions, etc. Has anyone done that and does it work?

Ellie"

Y'know, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea! I know it works when you spread it beneath tomato plants, to absorb and reflect heat.

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Darrin I think I just may do the plastic thing. It has rained so much last night & today, I think we are going to have to build the ark.Course we need the sun to warm the black plastic too.

Received Jedonne's seeds today. If the rest come by the weekend I can start to sort. Thanks everyone!

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Receved Loraell's and Cryptid's seeds today. Waiting on one more then I can start to sort.

booberry85 / rec'd
    apoppyseed / rec'd
    subruralgirl
    farmergirl / rec'd
    spacetogrow / rec'd
    julia42 / rec'd
    lorabell / rec'd
    dem_pa / rec'd
    clay_lady / rec'd
    jodonne / rec'd
    cryptid / rec'd

Been a little windy and rainy here this week. I hope it starts to clear up so that I can get out in the yard.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

rec'd subruralgirl's seeds yesterday. Since rain has been predicted for all week I am going to start sorting today and try to have all back out in the mail by Friday or before. I opened the packages last night to get ready for today and I am hoping that you are going to like tomatoes. Never saw so many different kinds before. Wow!

Have a wonderful day!

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The seeds are back in the mail today. Thank you all for participating.

Lynn...sending you an email.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh..I almost forgot. The delivery confirmation Receipt #'s.
    Booberry85 0311 3260 0002 1776 8964
    apoppyfield 0311 3260 0002 1776 4065
    Dem_pa 0311 3260 0002 1776 8971

Have a wonderful evening!

Ellie

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Hurray! You made fast work of that!

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

Fast, indeed. Hope you catch a break from the rain so you can get more time in the garden. I appreciate your willingness to take the lead on this!

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With almost a week of rain, it helps to keep on track of getting it done. I'm not one for gardening in the rain anymore.

Clay_lady yours went out yesterday - confirmation #
    0310 3200 0000 2541 7848

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

Ellie

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I received my seeds today at noon. Thanks to all who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess. I don't mind all the tomato seeds. They are good for at least 5 years.

Don

• julia42
    11 years ago

I got my seeds today too! Thanks! I'm honestly surprised at some of the items on my wish list you were able to fulfil - very cool! Everybody must have sent in a great variety. Plus, there were several tomato seeds that I sort of wanted but didn't include on my list that you happened to send! Thanks for a great swap!

• apoppyfield
    11 years ago

Just picked up my seeds in the mail and am blown away by the selection. Thanks so much for the fun, organized, and productive swap and for everyone who sent in seeds. Great job, Ellie.

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Just opened my package and am also blown away by the seeds I recieved back. Just what I asked for! Thanks a bunch and sorry about sending only tomato seeds... Got carried away and ordered about 50 different heirloom varieties this year so had lots of extras. I'll do better next time!ha

• julia42
    11 years ago

Also, I have to mention - I love your labels, Claylady! I think I may have to make up some similar ones for myself. Those are neat!

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Ellie! I'm sure my requests must have driven you nuts. Thank you for all the hard work. The seed selection is terrific!

Becky

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

The package I got is great fun as well. Thanks to Ellie and all who contributed.

I certainly don't mind tomato seeds. On the other hand, I know pea and bean and other large seeds can cost more to mail. I appreciate those who took that on.

Have a great season.

• cryptid
    11 years ago

RE: NEW: I.E. Heritage Heirloom Swap

My amazingly overstuffed package of seeds arrived day-before-yesterday! Holy, blessed St. Fiacre (patron saint of growing food and medicinal plants)! I never expected so large a return, even from so many wonderfully sharing individuals! Thank you, Ellie, uber muchly, for this totally kewl, fun RR! I would've posted sooner, but,...well,...we've been rather caught-up with various familial issues lately (albeit nothing particularly major, thankfully, yet demanding never the less). GardenWeb really is an exemplary, outstanding community of incredibly generous, fun loving individuals! - Thanks, everyone, for all the tomatoes, peppers, corn and lettuce, etc.! You all totally rock! :)

• cryptid
    11 years ago

Oops! I forgot to mention the really nice "Thank You" card Ellie included with all the seeds she sent! So, Ellie, appreciative thanks for your very thoughtful card, also! :)

• clay_lady
    11 years ago

WOW!!!! what a great package of seeds. The grandsons were so happy with their package-- they are planting their gardens this week-end. I got mine done yesterday, and I can't wait to find out what everything turns out to be. I love to take heirlom vegetables to work and have them try all the new (old ) stuff. I'm always bringing in the purple,green,white, fuzzy peach, black tomatoes, just for fun. Thanks for feeding my passion. Best Swap in quite a while.