Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellen_gw

UPDATE: All My Bloomin' Friend's Seed Swap

mellen
18 years ago

Welcome, All My Bloomin' Friends to the Update!

If you will recall when I started this seed swap, I told you that I would be selling your seeds? Well, most everyone's seeds are either here or on the way, sooo.....just mosey your way on over to ebay and take your pick. They are listed under my name for $100/pack. Ya ya, ha, ha. Pretty lame, I know.

Now this is for real! Here is the list of wonderful people who are in this swap along with the "where" their seeds are as per my current info. If you see mistakes, OF COURSE, let me know ASAP!!! Here goes:

Amybabyboy3/Amy-received

Bethb/Beth-received

Dancingmoons/Trish-received

Debbya/Deb-received

Grannymarsh/Marsha-received

Lunamoon/Jenell-received

Nitelite/Carrie Ann-received

Pattygrow5/Patty-received

Plantladyjan/Jan-in the mail

Remy/Remy-received

Skohler/Sue-received

Squanzon/Sue-in the mail

Theresa24/Theresa-received

Uptreasa/Treasa-received

Veeja/Carol-received

Are we an impressive and prompt group or what!!! I think this is so rare in this size of group to have everyone so on top of it. You ladies do realize that, I hope! I think it shows that we care enough about each person that we don't want to let anyone down.

Oh no! Now it means....DA DA DA DUMMMMM..........it's..my...turn?!? Are you picturing the 'ol eyes in the headlights??? Just hoping I don't really mess this up. If I do, I guess I live far enough away you can't get me. But you can ban me from here forever and ever, okay?

Talk to you all tomorrow. Nite, nite. Mellen/Mary Ellen

Comments (63)

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Just poppin' in to say hello to all you girls! And also to tell Beth and Carol we wanna see pics of you two having fun!

Sue my hostas are just coming up when they get alittle bigger I can send ya some if you'd like. Been so many years I'd have to look up the names but they get big with bluish/green huge leaves, I just love them.

Sunshine for everyone! (Hopefully)

Sassy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Oh Mellen what's my share of e-bay proceeds? oops I thought this was your private e-mail my mistake. LOL. I would love to have all that land Sue to have to use such a digging machine. I hope you are just sitting there pen in hand planning on paper no real work till Dr. says it's OK.I can't wait to get these seeds.I'm excited!
    Patty

• mellen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello friends, finally have a few moments here to type. This is an in-service day here at school. No students(which I would rather have) with meetings alllll morning. We have tomorrow off for Spring Break then back to work on Monday.

UPDATE: Squanzon-received your package in the mail yesterday. Thank you for the APRON! I love it!!! It is a fantastic idea and just so cute, too. I will be working on the seeds this week-end since we will be staying home. Yes, Jan and Maryann, I know that yours are on the way and will fit right in the distribution when they arrive. BEAUTIFUL day here today!!! Sunny, light breeze, with 80's. Can hardly wait to get home. Have a beautiful afternoon. Mary Ellen/Mellen

Amybabyboy3/Amy-received

Bethb/Beth-received

Dancingmoons/Trish-received

Debbya/Deb-received

Grannymarsh/Marsha-received

Lunamoon/Jenell-received

Nitelite/Carrie Ann-received

Pattygrow5/Patty-received

Plantladyjan/Jan-in the mail

Remy/Remy-received

Skohler/Sue-received

Squanzon/Sue-received

Theresa24/Theresa-received

Uptreasa/Treasa-received

Veeja/Carol-received

Earthly/Maryanne-contributing seeds "for the good of the cause"-in the mail

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE!!!!
    The signatures, the moving and flashing, the missing photos!
    I don't know what my husband did but for the time being I can see them all. I didn't know things were moving! lol.
    I went back and looked at the other post, and I went and looked other missing photos on a few other posts. I'm like a kid in a candy store: )
    Unfortunately I can also see the Ivillage survey thing and some other annoying ad that makes my screen freeze,lol.
    Anyway, I hope everyone had a good time with their families today.
    Remy

• skohler
    18 years ago

Good evening all
    wounderfull easter weekend Here :)))

Sassyd : I would love the Hosta's & I will share a few of my daylilies with you .

Actually ladies all this land is more then I can handle
    & I'm just very lucky to have a great brother .
    He come's to help me as much as he can .

He's been taken over my duties around here for the last 2 week's or so . & I want to get into my garden so bad
    but I do know better . so I do have my pen & paper in hand to map out the garden thanks to my gardening friend
    accross town she's planting a few of her plants out here . :))
    well I have to get off here , so have a great night .
    susie

• mellen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Bloomin' Friends, I have all of your seeds distributed. Now I need to distribute my boxes of seeds. I will be doing that over the next few days. My goal is to get this done by the end of the week-end so your packages can go out on Monday the 24th. The only reason this may not happen is if something would happen to DH's mother. She is in the hospital in MO in serious condition with heart failure. DH has been there with her since Tuesday and will be there at least through the week-end.

UPDATE: Earthly/Maryann sent some seeds to share with the group. A HUGE thank you from all of us. I would also like to thank you for the wonderful magazine, the wonderful CD with the bird calls, and the incredible CD called LandDesigner 3D. I can't wait to try both of them. Maryann, you are just the best. Many, many thanks! Maryann did lose a very dear uncle this past week. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

I used to think that fall was my favorite season, but this spring is almost making me think about changing my mind. It has been so fun walking around the yard when I have a chance looking at what is popping up from last year. There is so much beauty all around.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow, everyone. Mary Ellen/Mellen

• skohler
    18 years ago

just wanted to drop by and let debbya Know that I will be sending her daylilies she won for naming our group name .
    hope to get them out to you on monday :)))

Cosmic Hummingbird, and Damascan Velvet! RIGHT ???
    let me know
    susie

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Hi Susie,
    Cosmic Hummingbird and Damascan Velvet are the two! Thanks sooooo much! I have the perfect spot all ready and waiting!

• mellen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deb, congratulations, you lucky lady! I will have to look up those two daylilies to see what you will be getting.

UPDATE: I received Plantladyjan's seeds in the mail today. Thank you Jan! So now everyone's seeds are here! I plan to get this wrapped up this week-end and get the seeds mailed out on Monday.

Hopefully you have all seen the new thread for our May swap. Sounds like a good one that I hope you will all go over and sign up to be in. The week-end weather here sounds perfect with highs in the 70's at the very least. I thought I would be making a trip to MO tomorrow, but DH's mother suddenly took a miraculous turn for the better today. Last night the prognosis was grim, but today is a whole different story. Praise the Lord!

I have also been checking my WSing containers. I ended up doing about 30 plus some in styro cups. Last year my luck was zero, but this year I am having some really good luck. Yippeee!!! I'm glad I didn't give up. Anyone else here have results to report?

Mary Ellen/Mellen

• nitelite
    18 years ago

WSing Containers? whats that? Inquiring minds!!!!

• giverny4me
    18 years ago

WSing is winter-sowing seeds, potting up seeds in (as many as you can in my case lol)any and all containers, leave them out in the elements, and so giving a gardener a big jump on the gardening season, winter sown seedlings are hardier + plus since you sow and forget about them till spring one less thing to worry about. I have to say that even in FL (zone 8) I had success with this, some of the plants I sent Debbie were sown in Jan. and I normally wouldnt have done that early. Course we have the pests and heat start in early here but with the quantity sown I have ended up with quite a few perennials I wanted for a long time and couldnt get going in one season in the past...will actually see some flowers this year! there is a winter sowing forum here on GW too.

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Wintersowed about 200 jugs with at least 500 varieties only have about 20 that don't have green in yet but it is hard trying to find time to get them all or at least a few of each in the ground some perennials haven't germinated yet you name it I probally sowed it( gardening junkie heard)Patty

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Just sittin here waiting
    seedless in seattle carol

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

ohhh, veeja, you quack me up. Seedless in Seattle.

• mellen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Veeja, I thought you bought all the seeds on e-bay!!! How CAN you be seedless?

I received a package from plantladyjan/Jan yesterday. Inside were pink garden gloves(very pretty)and Miracle Gro plant food tablets(never seen them before-don't get out enough?) She also sent some glad bulbs of Blue Isle. I googled them and they are beautiful! The other item is a soap cleansing bar. It is wheat bran energy therapy, and it smells wonderful! I told Jan I would be using it in the shower to see if it will give me lots and lots of energy for this last month of school. lol

I'm about finished sorting out the seeds to everyone. The packages should be going out in tomorrow's mail EXCEPT maybe Carol's??? I'm holding hers hostage. ; p Everyone have a beautiful day! Mary Ellen/Mellen

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Veeja has 4 special cockroaches she will send as a gift for prompt delivery of her seeds

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

good morning.

mellen, glad to see that you got the seeds. seemed to take quite a while to get to you. at least you got them though.

sorry i missed your birthday, hope it was a good one. i wouldn't have missed it, but i was preoccupied with my uncle's passing. i'll be keeping your mother in law in my thoughts and prayers.

seedless in seattle....gotta love that.

by the way, who was it that wanted those cockroach candies? i picked up a few but couldn't remember who it was -- jeanette maybe? is she in this group?

our weather was beautiful all week. saturday we had non stop (hopefully) saturating rain. yesterday stared out nasty but wound up gorgeous and this morning rain and hail and power outtages.

off to find the may post to sign up for that one.

have a great day all,
    maryanne/earthly

be well everyone.

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

EARTHLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes it was me!--I wanted those roaches for my granddaughter-Jayme--she's a H.P. fan--big time-- I thought Veeja might send me some--but she hasn't --think she is mad at me for not sending my 'young hunk' maintenance guy to fix her tub????!!!!
    TTYL ;)
    Jeanette

• veeja11
    17 years ago

whoops, senile carol got Mellen and Angel mixed up, I guess I have cockroaches for Angel not Mellen, can I please have my seeds anyway.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Susie,
    I received the daylilies today! Thank you so much!
    Susie included 4 varieties, Cosmic Hummingbird, Damascan Velvet, Darrell, Little Grapette! I'm so thrilled! They are already planted and doing well! Susie also sent pictures of the blooms! After seeing the pictures, I can't pick a favorite, they all are gorgeous!

Hugs,

• skohler
    17 years ago

Deb So glad they arrived a ok as I said they all are just popping up around here so really not huge yet .
    but with tlc they will be great :)) .

susie

• mellen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello bloomin' friends! Your seeds are in the mail to you. I'm sure you will like what others sent you. I HOPE I did a fairly decent job of distributing the rest plus the ones that I contributed. You will see that a lot of the seeds have different stickers on them. For my benefit I identified each person's seeds with a sticker. That way when seeds were done being distributed, I could double check to make sure nobody received their own seeds back. Most seeds that do not have stickers are from me.

I want to thank each of you again and again for your wonderful encouragement, your gifts, and the fun. Let me know when your seeds arrive. Special thanks to nitelite/Carrie Ann for sending a generous monetary donation for the purchase of extra stamps. Many of you will find that you will be getting very fat packages which did take extra postage. As I said at the beginning, any extra postage would be "on me." But it actually was "on me and Carrie Ann." THANK YOU, Carrie!

Vee/Carol, Your seeds are going to Seattle thus Seattle will no longer be seedless. Have a beautiful rest of the day! Mary Ellen/Mellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Poor Carol was doubly seedless as Mellen was holding these for randsome and I was holding the ones from the gourd swap just because I'm absent minded ; Both are now in the mail. Sorry Carol. I sent something else as a bit of an apology. Hope you get some great seeds and they grow into super plants.
    BB

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

Thanks Mellen for all your hard work I can't wait to get them to wintersow(or as my 16 year old says it's spring now so it's spring sowing) it is still working they germinate quicker in the jugs than in the ground. Patty

• nitelite
    17 years ago

I can't wait till they come!

This weekend, I plan on 'cleaning' and rearranging' my seedling area... plus, if i plant the 40+ glads i have been growing [had to do them in pots because of those darn pesky squirrels like to dig them up!] than I'll have room to start more plants... my nasturtiums are doing good, so they can possibly be planted in the ground if i can find the place. a couple of my squash plants are ready to go into their new homes. maybe by next weekend my 'decrative guard' plants will be ready to transplant. ummm, i have like 30 types of seeds here already that i want to get started! I can't wait till i see what comes my way!!!

Well, off to check on my little babies!

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Thankyou Beth for the tasty cakes, they are tasty. Angel, mailed your cockroaches today, half of the ones in the store are boken, they break easy, I hope I padded them enough to protect them.
    Thankyou Beth you shouldn't have, greg says thankyou too.
    hugs carol

• dancingmoons
    17 years ago

WHHOOOOPIEEE !!! WOWOWOW!! I recieved my super fat envelope of seeds today!!! ...After just a quick look through i am totally thrilled!! So many of my "Wants" were inside!! MELLEN!! You did a terrific job, and i couldnt be happier!! Thanks to all the other members too, for making this a great robin!!
    Blue Skies!
    Trish

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Mellen,
    Thank you so much!! My seeds came today and I can't wait to start planting. Thank you ALL for the seeds. I received so many that I dont have and love. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Amy

• skohler
    17 years ago

Mellen seeds arrived today , Thank you to all who send me the special seeds . going to try to get my seeds in
    the ground this week :))
    happy gardening to all
    susie

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

I got my envelope today too!
    As I was looking at them all and saw the little stickers all I could think of was that a teacher had been work on this, lol. Thanks Mellen for doing all that work: )
    Thanks everyone for all the great seeds: )
    The ones that people sent special for me were not duplicated so that turned out neat.
    Somehow I got a couple of seed pkgs. for Theresa. They were tiny and I bet they were stuck to some other seeds. I'll send them along with her May box.
    Remy

• nitelite
    17 years ago

Oh Goodness!!! The seeds arrived today in the mail, and I will admit, that I was a less than stellar employee by finding time to Âgo through them along with listing them all! For the ones that specifically assigned some seeds to me, THANK YOU! Mellen, you are a DOLL! I believe I obtained at least 7 different types of Butterfly bush seeds. I also received some seeds that I am not 100% certain what they are , so I will be busy this evening Âgoogling them all! Mellen, this was a great swap! Thank you very much for hosting it!

Blessed Be,

Carrie Ann

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

I got my seeds today thank you Mellen and all who sent seeds there are a few I will have to look up thanks to all what a great pile of seeds and a great bunch of bloomin friends I have LOL Patty

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I received my fat package of seeds today too!

Mellen,
    You did a WONDERFUL job hosting the swap!
    Thank you soooo much for all the seeds that you personally included too! I noticed a lot of sunflower packages with your 'tag' on them!
    Also, thank you to ALL MY BLOOMIN' FRIENDS that sent me special packages from my want list! I'm so happy, I received my MOST wanted seed... the Pink Moonflower!

• veeja11
    17 years ago

wow, carol is seeded in seattle, thankyou to everyone for the special seeds I got the only color zinnia I was missing, canary bird, every color there is of frilly poppies, unless there is a yellow, I even got a beer plant, or it says edamame beer friend whatever that is, Mellen wonderful job I am impressed, I got lots of radishes too, Thankyou Mellen for a great swap

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

I received my seeds today too. Many thanks to Mary Ellen and to everyone who sent me seeds on my wish list! This swap was lots of fun!

Jenell

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

wow, i should have joined this month's seed swap just so i could post my excitement!!!!! i love reading everyone's acknowledgement. you all sound so grateful, thrilled with what you received and just so appreciative. what a wonderful group of people we have in this swap. what an excellent feeling to see that we will make it through the year with total consideration and respect for everyone!

kudos to you mary ellen, my dear friend, on a job well done.

see ya all in the may thread :)

maryanne/earthly

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Mellen!

My fat envelope of seeds arrived yesterday and I just can't tell you how pleased I am! So many wonderful and unusual varieties - what a great group this is! And thanks again so much for hosting!

Sue G.

• mellen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This has been quite the experience. You know when I sent all of these packages out, it was with some apprehension. I knew you would like what others had "gifted" to you. I just didn't know if my sorting of the others was okay. I am happy to hear that you are pleased with what you are getting. We are ALL appreciative of each other.

I will be bringing the extra stickers to school for the kids, naturally. Yes, they love them at this age, too. You might guess that Sue is the BIRD, and Carol is the DOG.

Remy--thank you for finding Theresa's seeds and sending them to her. Guess I missed them.

Carol--your beer plant seeds are actually soybeans. I know that some people eat them and a cold beer tastes good with them. So I have heard. You being the resident alchie, I knew you would appreciate them. The local shop uptown has some that are halved sprinkled with garlic salt and a few other spices added, I believe. They might be better tasting than the plain ones you have. I will get some and send them along in your package one of these months if you want to try some.

Maryann--I have a couple packages of seeds for you, too. I will pack them up and get them in the mail on Monday. I had forgotten about them as they were on the piano bench and set aside from everyone elses.

Have a beautiful rest of the day! Breathing a sigh of relief(so far), Mary Ellen

• PlantladyJan
    17 years ago

Thanks Mellen for a swell job on seed sorting!! Thanks to the others whom included seeds for me. I appreciate it!! I can't wait to get some started! I am so happy to receive castor beans.........they are so cool and mine didn't do much last year! Thanks to all! Have a Great Weekend! Happy Planting! LOL

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Got mine yesterday! Boy, I am going to have fun with these! Great bunch of seeds...great bunch of gardeners! Thanks for doing all this mellen. Seed swaps are tough.
    Theresa

• uptreasa
    17 years ago

Hi, my bloomin' friends! I have been out of town for the past week, so I don't know what day my seeds came, but they did, and I am very pleased. Thank you to all of you that sent special seeds for me. I sincerely appreciate them very much. In fact, I sowed a lot of them today. The 'Beer Friend' edamame's must have come from me. I grew them last year, and froze an abundant supply for winter. They are great for females, and are very high in protein. I shelled them before freezing, and use them like peas, in casseroles and soups. They are very tasty! I had a lot of fun being in this swap. Thank you, Mellen, and everyone. Hugs to you all. Treasa

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I gave dh a soybean to try he said it was a rock, couldn't break it, would love to try a garlic one. all my seeds but those are planted, they are soaking. angel I want pics of you grandaughter and roaches, did they arrive un broken? it has been in 70's but nice all day rain today, nice seed sprouting weather. my first radishes are up. dh says if we can't eat it, I can't plant it in yard. anyone know of a good recipe for daylily stew? luckily I seldome listen to dh. hugs to all. one great swap miss mellen, fine job A+

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, you never fail to make me laugh. daylily stew.
    you can use the blossoms, they are in fact edible. eat raw or you can stuff the leaves (like you would a zucchini flower) and either fry or bake. delish!

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

Received my big, fat envelope yesterday. What a treat. Many, many decorataive grasses, amaranthus and celosia. An extra helping of thank you to Patty & Sguanzon for the special gifts.
    Nice job Ms Mellon.! ! ! !

• mellen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone! We are now on our 4th day of RAIN/drizzle. So far it has been soaking in. The lawns are bright green and the tulips are beautiful! Other perennials are really starting to grow more, too, which is great to see.

UPDATE: Except for Beth, everyone has reported that they have received their seeds. Thank you EVERYONE for being so generous with each other. I do appreciate all of your kind "thank yous." For those of you who have been in charge of a seed swap like this, I bow to you. It is a LOT of work, but worth it in the end. Will wait to hear from Beth. In the meantime, see you over on the May Flowers Thread!

Mellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

I'm here and running late as usual. Well it's usual for these days. Years ago I was "NEVER" late. LOL Now it seems to tale me longer and longer to do less and less.
    Mellen, thanks so much for hosting. It was such fun to go through that big fat envelope of seeds. Many goodies in there for both my cottage garden and my herb garden.
    Extra thanks to Remy and Patty for the special seeds you sent. And, to whoever sent the striped rush. I sure didn't expect to get anything in that category.
    I'm wishing so much I could start planting but I think it will be easier to get packs of seeds across the border than trays of seedlings. I do have some plants that will be making the trip so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    BB

• veeja11
    17 years ago

when will I get my seeds?
    seedless in seattle

• mellen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vee, are you okay??? You already GOT your seeds. Maybe not in Seattle but kinda close, right? What are you talking about? Have your nights been sleepless? Mellen

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

it must be those meds again. wish i could get some of them in a swap (lol) Posted by: veeja11 z7Wa (veeja3@wmconnect.com) on Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 23:38
    wow, carol is seeded in seattle, thankyou to everyone for the special seeds I got

mary ellen, sounds like your first ever swap went so well. now that you are a pro at it, i'm sure you'll be doing this all the time! i just noticed your post where you said you sent me some seeds. just wanted to let you know, they never arrived.

we finally got some rain last night. not enough, but some. they are calling for rain most of the week, which really excites me - annoys other people - but then again, they don't garden.

be well everyone :)
    maryanne/earthly

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Wow can't fool ya'll I am being watched, thought maybe i could get a second batch, darn Earthly, my seeds are even planted. thankyou hugs carol