Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - April

daisy_me
17 years ago

April already! The gardening season is here and based on the drop in postings I'm guessing most of us are already out in our gardens. April showers will bring lots of flowers so get outside and take some pictures to share with the rest of us!

Reminder: If you didn't hear from your pal in some way last month, please let me know as soon as possible so I can get a new pal assigned to you. :-)

Comments (35)

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Sharing a few Spring pictures. Our dogwoods and azaleas are just beautiful right now. The plant with the yellow flowers is kerria - something new in my garden as of last spring. I'm sure it will make a fantastic display in another year or two.

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I spent so much time today working in the garden and running to HD for things for the garden that I never got to take any pictures! Suddenly it was dark before I knew it. And I'm still waiting on my DH to get home with a load of mulch. Hopefully I can get some pictures tomorrow (if it's not raining).

Those azaleas are gorgeous, Jeanne! I can't seem to keep them alive here. I've even tried the Northern Lights series that's supposed to be extremely cold hardy. No luck.

• wynative
    17 years ago

Debbya,

Your package is on its way. Conformation #0306 2400 0001 8223 9343. As it has some 'fragile' in it, I have insured it also. I wrapped everything good but with the PO one never knows...

Jeanne - Wow! Love your pics! My daughter is attempting to grow azaleas for your Secret/Fairy garden but ours are in pots. I hope they are as nice as yours!

DD & I are trying to finish the floor to her garden - but with snow, rain, hail, wind & every other type of moisture, it isn't getting done on OUR time schedule. We need to finish as the shrubs and flowers for it that she ordered will be here soon and the indoor-WS she did will be ready to go in the ground soon after.

With all the snow I shoveled last Friday just to get out of the yard, I didn't get much done outside over the weekend. Then Easter and she will be at her Dads - so the weather better mind its manners after that! LOL

Great week to everyone!
    Marie

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Hi everyone!

Jeanne...belated Happy Birthday to you!!!!! I hope you had a great day and the year ahead will be a wonderful one! The dogwood and azaleas look soooooo beautiful! Like Kelli, I am trying 3 of the 'Northern Lights' series here. Just got some last summer and hoping they made it through our strange winter months! The ones I got were very small but healthy from Bluestone Perennials. Do azaleas have a very fast growth rate?

Kelli, thank you SO much for the card and gift of seeds. I am looking forward to seeing new blooms this year on everything!

EVERYONE....have you checked your own trade page lately? Mariann asked if mine was up-to-date and I looked at it Saturday...it was there but did need updating though I didn't get to it at the time. Yesterday, it was totally GONE! It is my mission to get mine up again and up-to-date this week. *HINT HINT* Your pal would appreciate knowing what might be on your current wish list too. ;)

Some of my wintersown seeds are peeking up! It's been unusually warm the last few weeks but now Iowa weather is back to a reality check...40* to low 50* highs and lows in the high 20* to 30*. There may be snow flurries on Wednesday. I hope the perennials fooled into making their early debut will take it all in stride!

Maggie, I had hoped to get a pre-Easter package to you. That's not going to happen. :( Work has kept me busy keeping a Vet with dementia safe in his home until his son can arrive from Maryland over Easter weekend to help with a move to the Iowa Veterans Home. So I am on the road much of this month. I hope to get a package out to you soon after the holiday. If not before, I will mail it from Des Moines the week of the 16th while I am there! I'll keep you posted.

Waiting for Spring to stay...have a great week all!
    hugsssssssss to all,
    ~Dee

• galium
    17 years ago

Alicia (abctxgirl) pictures of Italy PLEASE.......

Dee, your gifts for the next 5 months aren't going to be much of a surprise. Glad I contacted you about your exchange list.

My exchange list is up to date. As a matter of fact I keep all my plants there. It's becoming my inventory page.LOL I'm in several RR's and want members I trade with to know what I have and what I'm looking for.

I keep checking my WS containers. This is the first year I've done any WS. Low and behold yesterday there were seedings in several containers. Shasta Daisy's, Catnip, Dianthus and a few others.

These crocuses were a gift from a RR I'm in. A little fuzzy but am trying out my new digital camera.

I am trading handmade earrings for plants again this year If anyone is interested I'm posting the URL. The pictures aren't as great as I'd like but they are certainly better than last year. I've already traded 3 pairs.

Mariann

Here is a link that might be useful: Galium's Jewelry

• wynative
    17 years ago

Alicia ~ I would love to see pictures also! Hope you have a great time :)

Marie

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Kelli thank you so much for such a wonderful spring/easter box!!! I LOVE THE LILIES!!!!! It was my goal to have more in my garden this year and that will help me immensely! Can't wait to see them bloom. The easter "basket" is just precious!!! You find the cutest things. And the bunny is the sweetest little guy. I am going to poke him under my rhody. Candy was MMMMMMMMMMMM. Reeses is a fav of mine. I think you might be seeing a trend..I LOVE all candy! The windsocks will be so pretty flapping in the breeze. We are going away for the weekend and wouldn't you know it..it's going to be the best weekend yet this year. Puttering around the yard will have to wait until next weekend. Maybe the rain will give us another break! Thank you so much for your generosity and thoughtfulness. I very much look forward to the package from you each month.

Norma..yours is on its way. It might not make it by the holiday! It all crept up on me too fast.

Jeanne and Marianne your photos inspired me to post a few. Spring is definitely in full swing. There are so many things just on the verge of opening that I know there will be many surprises when we get back in town Monday.

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Wow, wow, wow Nightnurse, what gorgeous pictures! I'm getting a new camera for my birthday (I'm trying to get my sweetie to get it for me early) so I hope to be able to take some really good pictures - wish I had had it in Italy. Anyway, I'll figure out how to post pictures here - I never have much luck with that, and see if I can put up a few pictures from Italy. Otherwise I'll post the URL to the album on shutterfly after I cull it down from the 700+ pictures.

Mariann, your package went in the mail yesterday. I think there is no mail service today, but I sent it 2 day so hopefully you should have it tomorrow. I forgot to send you a little something I picked up for you in Italy, so will include that in next month's package.

Happy Easter everyone!

Alicia

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Marie,
    Thanks so much for everything! The heavy glass basket is beautiful! Also the beaded Easter egg is so pretty, did you make it? I'm enjoying the hershey's kisses now while I type. ;) I'll find a special place in my garden for the Lily of the valley & the foot stepping stone. I love vanilla chocolate, so the Easter candy won't last long! The violet doesn't look so well, the variegation turned brown, but thanks so much anyway for sending it! I'll baby it and try to save it. I don't have this variety. I love Rob's!

Thanks so much for such a nice box!

Deb

• galium
    17 years ago

Alicia I received your box today....You are now in a very select and private group. The only other person to give me stuffed animals in the last 15 years is my daughter.

I received the most adorable stuffed chicken. It's yellow and made from the softest terry cloth. Not only that but it's squishy soft and has long legs with big feet. Love it.
    Also a ceramic bud vase, 3 packets of sticky notes, a funky yellow pen with feathers and a chicken on the top. Right up my alley LOL. Red Corn Poppy and Wildflower seeds. Last but not least a Garden Journal. I use to keep one but stopped years ago. Your gift is helpful in encouraging me to write again. Thanks so much Alicia.

Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Happy Easter! Brrrr... it's a cold one!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We've been having record lows here in the St. Louis area for the past week. I remembered to cover most things, but lost my tulip and magnolia blooms that were open already. And any of the hosta that had begun to leaf out are now mush. :-(

How was Easter for everyone else?

• wynative
    17 years ago

Easter was VERY chilly here! I think the high finally got to about 38??? The Easter Bunny was wear his parka!

Deb ~ so sorry about the little Bo Peep... I thought it would make it okay with that wrapping. Glad you enjoyed all the other goodies though. Enjoy the rest of your month!

Marie

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

Big thanks to Norma for my March package. It came on Friday and I wanted to post here so she would be sure to see it rather than on the March forum. I'm sorry I'm late in posting my thanks but we had lots of family stuff/relatives in our house over Easter and I'm finally back to being somewhat normal. She sent me an adoriable starfish decorative plaque that will go great on our tropical themed back porch, water lilie bulbs, gardening gloves (I sure needed some), a bag of jellie beans and cookies, and some interesting plants. Thanks so much Norma!
    Love,
    Stephanie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Kelli,
    Your April package is on the way! I wanted to send plants, but couldn't. It's snowing out! Plus more snow tomorrow!

Anyway, I hope you like what I sent.

Deb

USPS #0307 0020 0003 7581 8597

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Deb! I got the package yesterday. I love, love, love the little tub with the daisies on it--sooooo cute! My husband says the gnomes are evil.....I'll have to put them on his side of the bed some night to mess with him! (I may be the evil one!) I think they're cute though. And thanks for the seeds also, maybe I'll finally get around to planting the rest this weekend. Thank you!

Is anyone's weather improving yet? We supposed to get back to normal temps next week. Here's hoping we do!!

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Just checking in! Our weather has been kind of the pits when I have the chance to get outside..rainy and cool. But thankfully no bitter cold or snow like other areas have had. I am aiming to get outside on Sunday to do some weeding and dividing. I go to a local plant swap in two weeks, so will be potting quite a few things up.

Kelli..the gnomes have peaked my interest..hehe. Maybe you could show us a pic?

Norma..hope all is well and that your package arrived before Easter. :-)

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hellllooooo? Anyone home? Haven't had many postings this week, I hope it's because everyone's outside in the beautiful weather. :-)

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Hiyaaaa I'm here :-) But barely. Work has been a real pain in the rear end the past couple of weeks. My gardening time has been severly cut into!!! Dang work :-)

I did take the time to snap a few shots last weekend though. Here are a few
    Welcome to my home...

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Nightnurse, what a welcoming site to walk to your front door. Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    I spent some of the day yesterday making a list of the seeds that I have. Wow - how did I get so many? LOL I think I will need to revise my trade page if I can handle all the typing...
    We are having some pretty weather - may get rain later which will be good. I expected a good bit of rain over the weekend with all the storms but we mostly got ferocious wind which only made things dry out worse.
    When I went out to the garden on Monday I saw that my Fourth of July rosebush is in bloom. Typically it blooms in early to mid-May so the season has sped up this year.
    Have a good day!

• etravia
    17 years ago

Yes! I'm here. I sent my package last Wednesday. Stephanie, Did you get it? Dee, I sent you a long e-mail. Did you get it? We finally have nice weather. Today I planted 4 packages of nasturtiums, & weeded, & re-aligned my soaker hoses around my hostas. So many shrubs were damaged by the cold. Forsythia, willow, fothergia, crabapple, tulip tree. All the new growth before the cold has turned brown, & any buds are shriveled up. So sad. I think there is (another) wild cat living in my woodpile...In the last 3 years I've "rescued" 5 kittens from the woodpile. The wood ducks are coming up to my bird feeder. They only do that in the spring. I also have a muskrat living in the swamp by my yard.
    Take care everyone!
    Maggie

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Stephanie, I just wanted to let you know that your package arrived a few minutes ago. I opened it and everything is great! I would post more but I need to head out the door in a few minutes so I will send you an e-mail message soon and thank you a bit more properly.
    Thanks so much!

• galium
    17 years ago

Dee, I'm going to mail your box out Tuesday or Wednesday.

White Bleeding Heart

Star Jasmine

Daffodils

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
    Mariann

• etravia
    17 years ago

Can you believe that the nasturtiums I planted on the 19th are sprouting today! I'm amazed!
    Maggie

• galium
    17 years ago

Dee your box is in the mail you should have it by Saturday. Thank you for your patience.

DC# 0306 1070 0005 0859 1564

Hugs,
    Mariann

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Hi ladies!

Maggie, yes I got your email while I was in Des Moines. Thank you! I should know that my weeks will not go as planned so your package was mailed today! DC #0103 8555 7491 3120 0130 Where has most of April gone? It flew by me while working I guess. lol

Mariann, I will be stalking the mailman till its arrival. ;)

I think Spring may have finally here in NW Iowa!!! YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! It's been raining for a few days here and things are really starting to pop. The weekend looks to be beautiful and I am so looking forward to it! My daffs were hit by the snow/frost two weeks ago and what did bloom was drooped to the ground. Some of the tulips were frozen buds too but those that weren't are starting to bloom. While I was gone last week, the winds got up to 50+ mph here and some of my wintersown jugs that were starting to sprout were scattered and dumped. :(

All of your spring pics are soooooooo pretty! Keep them coming as they do my heart good!!!

Hugs,
    Dee

• etravia
    16 years ago

Dee - Never been to Des Moines! (What does "Des Moines" mean in French?) Geez, where is everyone? I know it's prime time to get the weeds pulled, move the leaves away, get the beds ready, but ya gotta take a break once in a while!!! I posted these on winter sowing but I'll put them here too!

Lunaria

{{gwi:379495}}

{{gwi:379496}}

This is one of my favorites because it blooms so early! I will have lots of seeds this fall if anyone wants any!
    Maggie

• faintheart
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhhh...very pretty, Maggie! Are the lunaria blooming already?

Here is the explanation of Des Moines: It was incorporated on September 22, 1851, as Fort Des Moines, owing its name to the Des Moines River (French: Rivière Des Moines, meaning "River of the Monks"), until it was shortened to "Des Moines" in 1857. It's a beautiful city. I used to be nervous while driving there being a "small-town" girl but it's nothing now. :)

Still rainy and chilly here in the upper 40's so I am really looking forward to the weekend and warmth! Every day after work, I walk around the beds to see if I can spot anything new coming back to life! I may have lost a few hosta it seems but they are just beginning to make their appearance. I have more plans than I will have time I am sure!

Early last evening, I was looking out the window and a NINJA SQUIRREL was out there digging up some hosta. I am declaring war!!! This morning, one was climbing on a young maple, reaching out for each tender limb and eating the leaf buds. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

~Dee

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Love the pictures! Tired of the weather! We went from snow to the 80's, freezing temperatures again, tons of rain and 80's coming again this week. It's 40* now. Gotta love Chicago weather!
    For the next week, I'm working on my veggie/herb garden. My outdoor plants are so far behind, nothing is in bloom yet, not even the tulips!

My May box for Kelli went out today. USPS #0307 0020 0003 7581 8792. Again, I wanted to send live plants but have nothing worth sharing (everything's too small and just starting to pop up). So, I sent something for the birds in your box! I hope they enjoy what I sent!

Deb

• faintheart
    16 years ago

Mariann,
    I know we have emailed today but I have to tell everyone of the wonderful box I got! ;)

Mariann sent me a daylily that her Dad passed on to her, 'Sammy Russell'! It is sooooo very special because she shared something of her Dad who was an Air Force Veteran. (for those of you who may not know...I am a Veterans Advocate) She also sent me Heuchera 'Silver Scrolls' which has been planted in my newer hosta bed and Clematis 'Will Goodwin' which looks sooooo pretty and is going to share a wide trellis with 'Niobe'! I am thrilled to have these. Thank you again, Mariann!!!

(((DEB))) So sorry your weather is being so uncooperative! It finally feels like Spring here and is going to get close to 80* by Sunday. and..........shame on you! for making us look bad...sending a May box on April 27th! Justttttttt kidding, Deb! I will try real hard to send warmer, dry weather your way!!! I am sure things will start to pop soon with the rain and climbing temps. ;)

Hugsssss,
    Dee

• etravia
    16 years ago

Dee,
    Rec'd your package today. Thank you! You are spending way too much. You must have found a pot o' gold woman! I received 3 packages of bulbs, Caladiums, Acidanthera, & Lily. Some Osmocote, a pair of garden shears, a pair of socks & a pair of garden gloves. A garden journal, a magnetic notepad, & a flower pouch! I love those flower pouches! Somewhere I have pictures of one filled with impatients. I'll have to look for that. Thank you so much Dee!!!!! We had a nice rain last night, & had the most beautiful double rainbow afterwards

{{gwi:350606}}

Happy Gardening!
    Maggie

• faintheart
    16 years ago

Beautifullll rainbow, Maggie! No pot o'gold...just sometimes when I have a little extra and am shopping I say....one for ME, one for any who. *giggles* I am trying the caladiums in my hosta beds this year so I hope you enjoy them too. I had the acidantheras last year and just love them! They are inexpensive and smell great! The lillium should add some color to your gardens for years. I will look forward to pics of that pouch full of blooms. ;)

Have a great week!
    Dee

• wynative
    16 years ago

Daisy Me ~ I have tried contacting you and Past Vast a couple of times. I have not heard or recieved anything from her for April.

Please let me know what is happening.
    Thanks,
    Marie

• wynative
    16 years ago

Stephanie,

My package arrived! I was concered because I knew that you & your family were traveling.

Glad you all enjoyed you month!
    Thanks,
    Marie

• pastvast
    16 years ago

I must apologize profusely to both my Circle Pals (giving and recieving). I failed to say thanks and also failed to get a package out before the 15th. I'd been trying to decrease the amount of time I spend online, and did that a bit too well. Not to mention just plain procrastinated and forgot when I finally did have time. I promise this will not be a regular occurance! Please forgive me!!!

The package I received was wonderful. My pal has a colleague that just came back from India. She included some wonderful Indian tea and incense. The package also included a great book about home pest/weed remedies. I will have to see if there's anything for dandelions... aside from tulips that's what's in bloom right now!

Both of my pals should be aware that I will be out of town (actually out of country) from May 13 - 22. So, if you were tempted to send something that requires immediate attention, please make sure it arrives before or after. I will try to send something (even if just a letter) for May before I leave. I won't be able to bring back any plant matter from overseas (darned customs regulations!), but I'll see what I can do for a June package.

Thanks for your understanding and forgiveness!!
    -Stephanie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!