Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

UPDATE: Make New Friends Robin

diene
17 years ago

Good Morning All;

Here is the last call for addresses. I will have everyone matched by this time tomorrow and at present time I need addresses from these people - Cheysmom, Nanatofourgirls, bettagurl, Dirtfloor. If I do not have them by tomorrow, I cannot include you in the group so please send them to me via e-mail. Thanks. diene

Comments (150)

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Medontdo;
    What great pictures, I am always surprised to see flat yards with few rocks. I just tried to increase the size of a flower bed by about seven feet long by ten feet wide and had enough rocks to build a wall. That does not take into account the rocks that border it on both sides. I will have to look at the directions and figure out how to post pictures.
    By the way, we are at 100 messages and when we near 150 anyone can start a new thread, just list it as Update 2: Make New Friends. But wait until we get closer so we can finish this swap in three threads. Everyone have a wonderful week. diene.

• seashellspcola
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I hope your weekends were great!
    I was at work but loved every minute of the evenings. It is so beautiful here. During the day its getting pretty warm about 85 degrees but at night its about 60 degrees and perfect.

*Vegangirl-One thing I am looking for is painted daisies, I had forgotten about those when I posted before. I would love these if you happen to have any.

I haven't done the pictures before I hope this works! If it does I will post a picture of the area I am working on tomorrow.

*Boballi-Hi I looked at your trade page but didn't get a lot of ideas can you give me some?

Have a great week everyone!!!!
    Melanie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

vela we have 5 puppies, they were born tuesday, and they already crawl all over the place!! even though their eyes are closed. leave it to be in our family! Lol thanks dien! i would love to see your yard and yours too melanie, we only been working on a trade forever! Lol i'm so anxious!! :') well it seems like forever. and now ya know what the tree looks like. o now i gotta go take a pic of the roses. well, after they bloom, Lol they look like spikes now. and i bought 3 more. forgive me, the only one i remember is don juan, he he he. married to a volunteer firefighter, cop on the weekends, and security guard during the week, w a girl who is still stuck to her mom at night, hmmmm wonder why i only remember that one, must be wishful thinking. (sighing) LOL ;-) LOL and the other two one is yellow i believe and i believe i lost the other one. lester said not yet, there's still hope. i hope!! still looking for the purple one though. my new quest. Lol

• amyinms
    16 years ago

VG

I always thought it was just me with the cold in the south now I have someone who can vouch for it being true :-)

Hope to get some pics up soon had to buy a camera for work (yes really lol!) so I have been practicing on the yard

I love the pictures that have been posted
    Amy in MS

• dirtfloor
    16 years ago

Diene, I'm about 92 miles NW of Billings. Forecast says 70 degrees tomorrow. then 78 & 80 Tuesday and wed! YEA!!!!!! Can summer really be here? Gotta go pack up a box to ship out!
    Bye
    Tena

• medontdo
    16 years ago

here's a "thing" i use on my kids, they have dry skin, and i use that microfibre stuff, my mom's idea (i'm gettin to a point here) and i like to garden bare handed cuz i can "feel" everything. so touching that stuff is sticky!!! so... i use for everything. palmers cocobutter ( that hard stuff) and olive oil, i mix together in a food processor, i put in the cocobutter first and let it get all smooth, then i add a little at a time of olive oil til it gets to the consistency i want. works great! a boy in our church has immune eczema and he uses it and it helps him too. but if you use it use a little at a time cuz that's all you need. Lol we use ALOT of home remedies for stuff. Lol sending off your package tuesday morning tena. i'm soooo anxious!!!

• amyinms
    16 years ago

Here are some pictures of my yard an neighborhood including some of my favorite gardens.
    They all have such great stories-
    *the really colorful one was planted the spring before the storm by my next door neighbors late wife. She died shortly after and he replants every year in her memory.
    * The one on the fence is a family that lost everything and just came back home
    *the formal one is laid out with paths and everything in front of a fema trailer
    *the one in front of the octoganal house is a social worker who lost everything but loves garden junk and native plants and flowers
    *the other pics are from my neighborhood and the beach is the Gulf of Mexico 3 blocks from the house-and yes they told us we are crazy to buy here!

Amy in MS

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy's pics

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Amy,
    You have a great yard! What a beautiful area. No wonder you are willing to take the risk to live there.
    Your pictures of the area are illustrative of the resilience of gardeners, who always seem to find a way to grow things against incredible obstacles.

Vegangirl, I am shooting for a Wednesday ship date for your box. I hope you enjoy it!
    Alana

• medontdo
    16 years ago

your yard is so pretty amy!! that elm tree is pretty too. i don't know all the tree's lester planted. he used to own the two lots that my garden and arch is on, so he planted tree's and all kinds of stuff over there. so i kept them all. he's one of them people that could grow anything. his wife is korean, she is an awesome cook!! i love them to pieces!! we have to mow but its supposed to rain the next 3 days so i see absolutely no point!! have a beautiful day!!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone;
    It is still raining here but might be letting up. I spent most of the morning on the phone and packing boxes. Maeflower has a package heading her way. I did not ask her what she wanted as I had plenty of things to share and I was afraid she would specifically say she did not want what I was sending. I think she will enjoy everything, I am very excited about all of the the things I sent as they are all things I am adding to my garden this year. Maeflower if you do a better job cataloguing plants I would love pictures but it is not necessary. Have a wonderful May. diene
    I nearly forgot, I use flat rate boxes and buy postage on line so I have a delivery confirmation number for Maeflower (they offer it as a free service when you purchase postage on line). I do not have much faith in the promises that go with it but I do post it when I have it so.... 01038555749061703794.

• User
    16 years ago

Ok Michelle I just got done writing my note to you and heading off to the post office now to mail your package.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

I can't wait burbaq!!!! YAY!!!! today i checked the mail at the post office and they said " michele, your mailbox is overfilled!!! it's all your stuff" i was like, no way!! and i got 3 envelopes plus melanies stuff in today!! Thank you!! it was christmas in almost may!! tomarrow i get to mail off tena's, melanie's and one other person's package! i'm so anxious!! i get to trade a dwarf cherry tree for a big cherry tree!! awesome!!!

• boballi
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody!

Sorry, I haven't be on-line lately...Life has just been extremely hectic lately.

*Seashellspcola*
    I am currently focusing on my front & side yard, back fence, and behind house beds.

The front yard gets morning sun...the side yard gets full sun. They both will have yellow, apricot/orange, and dark coral colors like my 'Orange Ice' rose bush (see picture) and 'Cherie' hibiscus.

My back fence area gets morning sun, also. It's colors are violet, yellow, and white. I currently have 'Dark Blue' Plumbago, Sweet Broom, and white Calla Lily.

The beds along the back side of my house get full sun. They are following a red(yellow not blue tint), yellow, and white pallet. I have a red rose and a white 'Bolero' rose.

I would love any of the following: glads, dahlias, iris (any color), lilies (any variety), etc.

I hope this helps...I know I will be happy with whatever you send.

boballi : )

• boballi
    16 years ago

How do you adjust the size of picture when posting?

Sorry that it's soooo big.

boballi

• User
    16 years ago

I think i'm going to take some picture of the house and yard tomorrow, it's not much compared to some of yours that i've seen but it's something :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

its gotta be beautiful burbaq!! i can't wait to see more pics!! those flowers are so beautiful!! omg!! take your breath away!! i love things with more than one color!! :-) and as one lady said in her page, things that have dramatic color. it's amazing what you can find beauty in!! o ya! my beets are coming up. this is getting exciting.

• flowersun
    16 years ago

While I'm not a rose person (growing them), I sure do appreciate those who do grow them.... your roses are beautiful.

Flowersun

• momtoboysjnj
    16 years ago

Hey MaryLee,

I just finished getting your box together - never thought I would get to it, I have been busier the past three days than I have all year!!! But I did it and your box will be on it's way to you tomorrow :) Now I just hope everything makes it to you in one piece, I always worry about things not making it alive but you're close to me so it should be okay.

Hope you like everything!!

Wendy
    momtoboysjnj

• boballi
    16 years ago

Thank you for the compliment.

I will try to put your box together later this week. This weekend our Highs were in the upper 90's, but Friday our High is only suppose to be 67. Since the box has to travel clear across the country, I thought that "harvesting" baby plants would be best done in cooler temps.

I will let you know when I send it out.

boballi: )

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Wendy,
    Gosh your quick! I can't wait to be surprised!
    This is so exciting!
    And I so know what you mean by being busy, where do the days go? I haven't even started on Moonphase's box yet (don't worry though Moonphase, I'm going to get it ready to send out Wednesday.LOL)
    The pictures are great! I'm going to learn how to do that one of these days.LOL...
    Hope everyone is enjoying the evening!...Marylee

• vela75
    16 years ago

Amy - I will mail your box out next Monday. I work during the day and my kids have activities today through Thursday (they keep me busy)...Don't want to mail on a weekend...afraid they'll die....so I think Monday is a good plan. That will give me the weekend to dig stuff up!

Ok everyone...here's my yard. As you can see, I have a lot of beds to fill!!

My front yard has raised beds on the side of the driveway...nothing in them but a couple of hostas and a couple of ferns...oh, and my Rhododendron!!

Back Yard...up by the building I have daylilies, daffodils and peonies.

Here's another bed beside my building...I just transplanted some tulips and moved a couple of daylilies and daffodils over to it.

Backside of the house - Hosta, honeysuckle...I just ripped out a bunch of weeds.

{{gwi:50222}}

My new rose garden - no sign of life yet in the roses, but the seeds in the bucket have sprouted and some gladiolous is coming up!

And here are some of my seedlings I started!

• seashellspcola
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! I love all of your pictures. They are so great!

*Bobilli* Thank you for giving me some ideas

*Metdontdo* I love getting stuff too! It is like Christmas almost better because your getting stuff you really want HA HA! Glad my hubby isn't going to be looking on here!

Here are a couple of pictures:

This one is my front flower bed which is so neglected and is my focus currently, it gets the afternoon sun and is super hot during the summer.

This one is my gardening pride ( I got my first radishes today Wahoo!!)

I hope everyone has a great week!

I am finishing up finals I have one tomorrow night and Wednesday night so I will be STUDYING (YUCK)

• dirtfloor
    16 years ago

WEll, Missmshell -michelle Your package is on it's way!!! I really hope you enjoy what I picked out for you (crossing fingers)It's really hard to stop filling a flat rate box!!! I had a hard time deciding what to put in and what not to!!!

• vela75
    16 years ago

Great Pics seashellspcola!! You've got a nice variety in your front garden, and your veggie garden is AWESOME!!! You have every right to be proud of that!!!!!

• amyinms
    16 years ago

Vela and Michelle

I love the pictures of your yard- Vela reminds me of when I lived up that way Michelle your garden is amazing!

Amy in MS

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok tena, yours goes out tomarrow, it's full!! in the "purple" package, you'll know, open the little package carefully, i just got blueberry seeds today and ran out of little baggies. so i improvised. Lol i'm good at that. there's one thing that has three of the "same", i'm pretty sure they're different breeds. well at least one i think is different. i didn't write the letter cuz i totally ran out of room. and o my melanie, i like your front flower bed, thats pretty. i'm anxious to see your roses vela and the glads. i haven't put my hollyhocks out cuz i'm kinda scared they'll die. Lol i just added a few more pics to my album.

• boballi
    16 years ago

seashellspcola*
    Please don't feel limited to the colors and/or plants that I stated earlier. I have other beds, too. Those are just the ones that I am focusing on currently.

I know what you mean about areas that are sunny and hot. My Red/Yellow/White beds have some sunny and hot areas, also. Were those Birds of Paridise in your picture? If they are, you may want to check and see if they are dwarf or standard sized...Standard BoP can get huge.

Your vegetable garden is fantastic. I started mine late and it is no where near yours...I'm jealous. LOL

vela*
    Thanks for the updated pictures. I used a single layer of landscape timbers to build my "raised" vegetable garden. They are working (so far) as a visual barier for the kids...I don't need them compacting the soil that I worked so hard to loosen up.

boballi :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i found a resizing button on the pic (photobucket), i want my garden to look like that!!!! boballi, are you taking more pics? i wanna see the other beds, please. does anyone know if we can get hawaii'n fruit seeds her? i want to grow some of it. i know its crazy, Lol

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

seashellspcola, I'm sorry I don't have painted daiies :-( I am working on your box, hoping for Wed shipping but not promising! It might be Monday.

poisondartfrog, I'm sure I will enjoy whatever you send :-)

VG

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

OOPS, Sorry Moonphase I'm waiting on a plant order, it may be Monday before I can send your box,
    but I will try to make it worth your wait.LOL
    Everyones pictures are just so nice!
    Seashellspcola - your vegetable garden is just wonderful - so neat!
    Vela - nice yard! your seedlings look fantastic! Most of mine froze.(boohoo)
    Well, got to go, you all enjoy your day!...Marylee

• User
    16 years ago

Ok here are some pictures

i don't know how to link them in here so I just provided a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardens

• Maeflower
    16 years ago

Okay BusyLizzy I just mailed your box. I really wanted to send it overnight but it would have cost $26.00!! So, I hope and pray everything stays alive and undamaged.

Diene: I am excited and will let you know when I recieve the box!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's a pretty tree, redwood? i like the gardens, i've been gonna work on ours, but oh this depresion stuff is a kick in the butt and when you finally realize that its back, too late, Lol meds readjusted or something. so i'm lucky i have the greatest little helpers in the whole wide world!! :'> they are awesome! and tabor is a born thinker/gardner/builder, its in the jeans, Lol. today is one of those day's, and it's supposed to rain, it looks like it's gonna, but it hasn't yet, so i planted my hollyhocks out. they were gonna die in here, i accidently sprayed my vinegar mix on them instead of water. oops!! so i doused em in water, they look better. i have picassa too, its way filled up!! LOL

• User
    16 years ago

lol no redwood is the giant trees in washington, maybe you meant redbud, but no it's not, i'm actually not sure what it is, it has red leaves all the time. Ya it looked like it was going to raid today and i think the forecast was for thunderstorms but it's all cleared up for now and nothing has happened yet.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

yep, that's what i meant, bud, Lol i think that tree looks like mine, the one by your garage. w purple blooms. i wished mine smelled. my lilacs got froze in the freeze. i'm so sad about that. i got my seeds from kizzy today, i'm so happy about that!! it's a roller coaster!! Lol lester will give me a cow panel to use like he did for my arch, the one that my honeysuckle is growing on, i think i'm gonna put the datura's on that. but i gotta put a fence around them so kids won't mess with them. i got castor beans in and seen them on google, oh my, so pretty!! i know, toxic and the bean, but eventually i want all the colors!! they are all pretty!! it only sprinkles off and on, i'm kinda glad it only does that though. Lol

• dietelbug
    16 years ago

Hey burbaq & medontdo, There is a red leafed Redbud called 'Forest Pansy' could that be it? I've included a link. Una

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Pansy

• User
    16 years ago

maybe that forest pansy is it, that is what it looks like, Ya we trimmed down that lilac bush by the house, but in the garden there is another :). They are very fragrant.

• boballi
    16 years ago

I hope I have resized these correctly!

Almost nine month old Ruby:

Almost nine month old Roxy:

My front yard:

My side yard:

Violet/Yellow/White Bed:

Violet/Yellow/White Bed Cont.

Roses in a Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Close-up of 'Bolero' Rose in Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Hot Area of Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Japanese Maple & Unknown Ferns:

Pink/Purple/White Bed:

Vegetable Garden Overview:

Baby Fruit Trees and Vegetable Garden:

As you can see, I'm just getting started with this landscape overhaul and some of my beds are quite bare. I still have stumps and and a ton of overgrowth to remove (not seen in pictures). But, as I said before, I'm just started!

boballi : )

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok i was looking at a lilac bush, Lol hmmm can't blame it on anything, darned. Lol didn't rain today. so i can prune my lilac bush back? i trim the other stuff down to about 3-4 inches in the fall, well one time since we been here. i liked how it came back the next year!! oh so pretty! and the honeysuckle smell so good! i would love to have them by our bedroom window, at night we could sleep smelling them. Lol and with melanies jasmine, oh my! i've never grown gardenia but i'm so anxious! lester's helping me with the cuttings, Lol he just laughed. :') i want to plant something fragrant in the "front" by our new porch w no door. Yet. Lol we're gonna put a french doors on the spot, that will be so pretty. i'm anxous for that too!! i think this year i'm gonna winter sow and then do like vela, i like that! lol but does anyone in here winter sow??

• medontdo
    16 years ago

oh my that is beautiful!! do they smell pretty? they sure do look pretty!! `your fruit trees are pretty! and i like how your garden is set up. my grape vine's have finally got growth on them. Yay! now i'm waiting on my strawberry tree to get some growth on it to know that it's gonna make it. talla was kissing the screen, she said awww, i want that puppy!! Lol, kids are so cute. i love the design of how your house is the slanted roof. i don't think i've seen many here, my susie (step mom) is into mexican look on stuff. the lizzards and peppers and all that. just cute!!

• dirtfloor
    16 years ago

burbaq & boballi your yards are beautiful. I'm sooooo jealous. Next year it'll be better though! I keep plugging away planting more and more every day. Now that I have a new fence I'm looking at wrought iron trellises and stuff to put in front of it. Hubby just asked what I want for mothers day!! I can't decide if its a tree peony or a 6' wide wrought iron trellis that has hanging baskets on it.
    I think I'll have the hubby slap together sone bird houses to mount on top of the posts so the the wrens and chickadees can get the heck out of my eaves!!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, you all shamed me into this, I went to Photobucket and downloaded pictures from today. The sun is finally shining. There is not much to see in my gardens as they are still waking up from winter but you will see the layout. I also have pictures from my stained glass class I am taking. I am making a garden bench and tonight I put it in the form, they will pour concrete in it tomorrow. It will be lots of fun to have. I am thoroughly enjoying this class.
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/readytopour.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/shadysideofhouse.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/newgarden2.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/newgarden.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/House.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/lastyearsgarden.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/mailbox.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/formforbench.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/gardenbenchinprogress.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/frontyardleft.jpg
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/frontyardright.jpg
    Man that was alot of work but here are my pictures. Hope everyone is well. diene

Here is a link that might be useful:

• vela75
    16 years ago

Very nice Diene!!! Can't wait to see it all in bloom and that garden bench is going to look GREAT!!!!!!!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Okay Vegangirl. The confirmation number for your box is 420 24363 9101 0385 5574 9137 3672 40.
    Better get your shovel out! Alana

• medontdo
    16 years ago

o that is so pretty!! i can't wait to see the bench! i'm really interested in that. your yard looks so amazing. and o my, that space!!! Lol those gardens are so pretty!!! i can't wait to see everybody's stuff in bloom also!! can't wait to see everyone elses yards! everyone's is so beautifull!! and tena you have so much space and you can do alot with yours, like me, LOL i got so much to do, my poor peonies have been moved 2 times in the past 2 years cuz i can't make up my mind where i want them to go. i didn't want the garden, this year i did, do. and i forgot where i planted everything. LOL my markers got washed off. a couple of years ago a big freeze storm took out my pecan tree, well the next spring all these twigs came up and i left it alone, and let it go to a bush, oh my so pretty!! i kinda wanta do that with our 2 fallen dogwood tree's. same storm.

• flowersun
    16 years ago

And you can be lost! I love everyone's gardens, those that are works in progress, and those that are flourishing. I saw a few things growing in Boballi's garden that I have not had luck with.... I think one was fuschia... I'm going to see if I can post a picture here of my Jason Salter Daylily - it is the only one I have and a first year for it{{gwi:1260663}}

• flowersun
    16 years ago

The Jason Salter was a nice surprise for me. I need to clarify it is not the only daylily I have, it is the only one of that kind that I have. Ha ha... I realized after I posted. I'm making two daylily areas in my gardens and I've just fallen in love with daylilies. I have both named and un-named daylilies... doesn't much matter to me. I just love them.

• User
    16 years ago

that is a colorful daylily :)

• dietelbug
    16 years ago

Hi Irene your package is going out the door today! It's a beautiful sunny day, low 70's. I have to figure out who's getting into my new raised beds and if any seeds were disturbed. I think it's the neighbors cat, mine stays inside. I'm thinking of just wrapping some netting around the beds, attached to stakes at the corners, until the seedlings emerge. Any other thoughts? Una

• Maeflower
    16 years ago

Una, my mom had several neighborhood cats getting in her flower beds EVERYNIGHT. She put mothballs in an aluminum can with holes poked all over it. The cats have not been back! They must hate the smell. Cheap thing to try anyway. They were really messing up her just emerging plants.