Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: Make New Friends Robin

Posted by diene Z4ME (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 7:34

Good Morning All;
Here is the last call for addresses. I will have everyone matched by this time tomorrow and at present time I need addresses from these people - Cheysmom, Nanatofourgirls, bettagurl, Dirtfloor. If I do not have them by tomorrow, I cannot include you in the group so please send them to me via e-mail. Thanks. diene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Make New Friends Robin

diene, I have sent my address to you twice now. Please let me know if you have gotten it.

o

Dirt floor, I sent you a note through Garden Web email. This is not always depenable so please let me know if you do not get it.
Thanks. BB

o

Hi Everyone! My name is Una & I just joined today. This is my third summer in CA, but my first time gardening here. I am an East coast transplant. I have the frames for two Square Foot beds made and will be hopefully installing them and making the soil this week-end. The house we moved to does have a lovely bed up front that I completely hacked back this spring and added some perennials. I am a confessed 'survival of the fittest' gardener or if it doesn't grow with benign neglect, 'oh well'!
I am a fiber artist, working primarily in hand made felt. My Husband, Will, of twenty five years this June is a Math teacher. We have two grown daughters, a mini poodle and a new kitten. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Cheers, Una

Here is a link that might be useful: wooly walkers

o

Dirtfloor, Did I read that you live in Great Falls? A few years ago my two daughters, son-in-law and niece went to a small town west (I think) of Great Falls for a dear friends wedding. I can't remember the name of the town but it was lvoely. It was near a wildlife refuge that I loved too:-). I think it was about 80 miles or so to Glacier NP but we didn't have time to go there.

Can hardly wait to see who my trading partner is!!!
VG

o

Hi Una! Welcome to our newbie group! (Of course I'm not leaving out the "oldies" in the group!) Your web site was very nice. Thanks for sharing!

o

Oh my goodness! I have been looking for passionflowers for years. I tried planting with seeds and was having no luck. Soooo....I was at Walmart today, and guess what...they had some! Of all places!!! I bought three of them. Two are purple for sure, the other one I am not sure of as it does not have any blooms yet. They are all very healthy plants. They are all in 10 gallon pots on a trellis. If I had the extra mooney, I would have bought all of them. My quest is almost complete!! I am only looking for one plant now.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see what is growing in my yard/garden, etc. I have attached a photobucket if you want to look. There is also a picture of my Begnal I was telling you guys about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurie's Plants

o
Final List

Hello Everyone and Welcome to the three new members. One additional fun part is that we are now a coed group. I will be working on the pairing tonight and post it in the morning. This is wonderful, we have twenty one people in this group. What fun. There were three people who signed up but stopped posting and never sent their addresses so I had to remove them. Then we, of course, lost chelty which still makes me sad. Hopefully, we will run into her again somewhere.
Well, I need to start figuring this out. Talk to you tomorrow. diene

Maeflower* MO
Bobilli* CA
Momtoboysjnj* TN
Missmshell* NY
Laurieanngarris* TX
Moonphase* Ga
Diene*ME
Poisondartfrog* KY
Astilbez6a* KY
Vela75 * WV
Busylizzy* PA
Amyinms* MS
Vegangirl* VA
seashellspcola* FL
Shadymeadow* WA
Flowersun* FL
irene_kamel*VA
Ctack2* TN
Dirtfloor*MT
Burbaq*MI
Dietelbug*CA

o

yay!!! I'm getting EXCITED!!!!!!!

o

Laurie,you are lucky.I would love to have a passion vine also.Where did you get your niobe clematis?I want one of those also.I had one yrs back and would like to but one here at my new home.
moonphase

o

Moonphase,

Yeah, when I said years, I meant YEARS. I think at least 10. You would think they would be everywhere down here. I kindof went crazy today. I thought I was gonna pass out when I saw them!

I got the niobe clematis at Lowe's. The one down here had a cart full of little Clematis plants. Any kind you can think of. I just love the color. I hope you can find one. I did see some Niobe bareroots on parkseed.com.
Laurie

o

Boy, if you guys wanted passion flower vines you should've asked .... my five acres are full of those little boogers every year, I've got babies popping up all over!!! I say every year I'm going to move some to places I actually want them in my yard but haven't done it yet - this will be the year!!! I love their fragrance I just don't like them all over the yard :)
My poor Niobe clematis didn't make it - it started out so good the first summer but fizzled. My Miss Bateman clematis that I bought at the same time as the Niobe is still going strong - need to move it to a new place too, I just have way to much to do!!!!

Wendy

o

Yaaay! I'm getting excited too!
vegangirl: I'm glad you liked mt it is really pretty here in the summer. I am actually in a small town about halfway between Billings and great falls. I just moved from great falls.

Laurie, your cat is awesome!! I always wanted one, I am a big cat fiend. They are the closest in looks to the wild cats. she?s awesome. are you going to breed her?

you all keep talking about these tropical plants that I can't grow here!! I'm so jealous!! We just bought a hot tub and put it on the back patio. So......I come up with this plan, hubby thinks its his idea to wall it in and put in 2 BIG windows....He! He! I'm gonna get a greenhouse room! I'll just turn it into a "tropical room".

o
And the final list is....

Hello All;
I spent quite a bit of time on this, I think everyone is at least in their zone. I did not want to pair people from the same part of the world as part of this is to get to know gardeners "from away" as we refer to strangers here.
I will get addresses out to you later today unless I hear from someone about an issue.
Remember, the real reason for this robin is to make friends not to bankrupt yourself to please a complete stranger. See the posts above, Mom has lots of babies to share if only she thought anyone wanted them. That is what you need to consider.
Finally, have fun with this. If for any reason you are unhappy, contact me, do not post on this thread, I would really like to keep this a positive experience. Thanks and enjoy. diene

Maeflower* MO sends to busylizzy
Bobilli* CA sends to flowersun
Momtoboysjnj* TN sends to astilbez6a
Missmshell* NY sends to shadymeadow
Laurieanngarris* TX sends to Vela75
Moonphase* Ga sends to Momtoboysjnj
Diene*ME sends to Maeflower
Poisondartfrog* KY sends to vegangirl
Astilbez6a* KY sends to Moonphase
Vela75 * WV sends to Amyinms
Busylizzy* PA to Burbaq
Amyinms* MS sends to Ctack2
Vegangirl* VA sends to seashellspcola
seashellspcola* FL sends to bobilli
Shadymeadow* WA sends to diene
Flowersun* FL sends to dietelbug
irene_kamel*VA sends to laurieanngarris
Ctack2* TN to poisondartfrog
Dirtfloor*MT sends to missmshell
Burbaq*MI sends to dirtfloor
Dietelbug* CA sends to Irene_kamel

o

What is the next step? Do we communicate our haves/wants to our partners or just "nature take its course"? :-)
VG

o

Hello Vegangirl;
I think you can do whatever you want. I would not think it would be a bad idea to ask your send to partner about their gardens if they have not already communicated that. What I would like to see is most of the dialogue stay on the thread rather than go private as we are trying to get together as a group not individuals. We will all be sharing what we get so why not share the exchange of ideas. We had several late arrivals that I have asked to come and introduce themselves. The list has been altered slightly and you should all have your partner's address. If you did not get that or it is the wrong person, let me know, I tried to do it right but I make mistakes all the time.
Stop worrying about this and start enjoying it. Think about what you want to send, not what they want to get.

Maeflower* MO sends to busylizzy
Bobilli* CA sends to flowersun
Momtoboysjnj* TN sends to astilbez6a
Missmshell* NY sends to shadymeadow
Laurieanngarris* TX sends to Vela75
Moonphase* Ga sends to Momtoboysjnj
Diene*ME sends to Maeflower
Poisondartfrog* KY sends to vegangirl
Astilbez6a* KY sends to Moonphase
Vela75 * WV sends to Amyinms
Busylizzy* PA to Burbaq
Amyinms* MS sends to Ctack2
Vegangirl* VA sends to seashellspcola
seashellspcola* FL sends to bobilli
Shadymeadow* WA sends to diene
Flowersun* FL sends to dietelbug
irene_kamel*VA sends to laurieanngarris
Ctack2* TN to poisondartfrog
Dirtfloor*MT sends to missmshell
Burbaq*MI sends to medontdo
Dietelbug* CA sends to Irene_kamel
Medontdo*KS sends to dirtfloor

Enjoy, diene

o

OK. seashellspcola, feel free to tell me what your gardening interests are:-) Actually, I did a search of your user name and found that you are interested in veggies, fruits, fruit and flowering trees and perennials. Right? What other things would you add to that list or what specifics? I already have some ideas of what I might send. I think this will be fun.

Diene, you are a patient woman with us worrywarts :-]

VG

o

HI missmshell!! Partner! I went back and read your page. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. You'll have to tell us all about lasagne gardening! I think I read a book about it once but have never tried it. Telll us about propigating rose cuttings I would love that too. Are they hardier grown on own rootstock? I would love to see your candles--I make the wickless gel candles. I like them cuz they're pretty and look like a jar of homemade jelly. Love the awesome new scents out there!!

post your likes and wants/needs I'll see what I can do. I like iris, lilies, daylilies, clematis, peonies. Bulbs do well here too. I am a poppy nut-I think I have 20 varieties right now (still in seed form). I have raspberries now but would like to have more berries and strawberries. have green stem rhubarb wanting the red.

I just planted a Honeycrisp apple. I read they are prone to problems. Anyone know about them? Also just got a Goldenchain tree and noticed it was needs one zone warmer-any suggestions for overwintering this baby?
talk to you later.
Tena

o
dirtfloor

hiya dirtfloor, just looked up your page and was tryna figure out, so tell me about your likes, besides you like tropical, Lol, me too. (i want a greenroom too, lol.)

o

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would take a minute to check in before I am deemed as MIA.LOL...I don't know where to start I am so behind in the conversations.
I don't think I have ever officially introduced myself, so here goes. My DH and I live on almost 6 acres in eastern KY. All of our property is in the sun, including the small space in my back yard that I call a garden, but I love shade plants and that's mostly what I have.
We have one son(33)one daughter(22)two grandaughters(15)and(9)and one grandson(6).
Ten plants that I like:
Hosta
Astilbe
Heuchera
Lily
Columbine
Daylily
Jacob's Ladder
Iris
Bleeding Heart
Peony

Now that I actually made an effort to post, I am looking forward to getting aquainted with everyone and posting more.

o
Dietelbug

Hi Dietelbug - Looks like I'm sending you some goodies. Tell me about your gardens....

Flowersun

o
Diene - question?

Now if I remember correctly we are doing a flat rate box, correct?

Flowersun

o

Hi Alana (my new send-to partner!),
Where is your town at? My parents are both from Pike County and I lived in Madisonville for 4 years in the early 80's. Really liked it, but life situations took me back to Michigan. I went to LPN school and was tired of the Michigan winters, so again left, and have been in TN since 1990.
What kind of gardening do you do? What do you like? want? need? I'm so new to this, I haven't yet figured out how to check out someones page without first finding a post made by them -- but I'm learning and having a blast doing it!
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Have a great day everyone!
Carol B

o

Hi Everyone and Amy (my new send to me partner)
Amy, I am sending my addy to you private.
What zone are you in? I have such an open slate here, you'll find that I'm easy!
I was just adopted and will be getting goodies in the mail from that, too, so I plan on this year being soooooooo exciting! (thank you Laurie)
Gardeners are such a generous bunch, and funny, too. I had a fellow give me a packet of seeds that says "big red flower. was here when we bought the house". God only knows what that is going to be! lol
I have a small veggie patch tilled up in the backyard, and have a 6' wide long (probably 100' or more) strip tilled up at the side of my yard that I am going to plant flowers in. I'm going to call it my TEST GARDEN, but I think I'm the one being tested, not the seeds. Over the next few seasons, I plan to save, move, adjust, and just have fun slowly decreasing the amount of mowing we have to do.
My yard is almost all full sun exposure. I thought is was 100% sun, until I started noticing that the back of the house gets shady out about 10-15 feet around noon. And I'm sure that if I ventured outside I'd find that the north side, which is the garage end, probably is shady part of the day this time of year, but I'll have to watch it this summer and see how it is. I have 2 little trees, a large holly bush, one clump of peonies (someone please tell me how to separate it) and a clump of slimy (from the frost) bleeding hearts. They are returning now, and this has happened to them before, but I want to move them, too. Again, just don't know how or when to do it. I have so much to learn!
I started some tomato and pepper seeds last weekend, only about 5 weeks late for my area, but things happen. Hopefully I'll have at least minimal success with some of them this year. If not, there's always nurseries to buy from this year and I can start earlier next year. I want to grow some heirloom maters because I've heard the taste is unbelievable. I started several kinds and will just have to wait and see if I'm too late.
The only things that I specifically will be looking for in my shopping and going to the plant swap this year is rhubarb, black raspberries and flowering bushes. I also think I want some bamboo (no flaming please) but want to research a little more before I venture into that. Those are permanent kind of things, and will have to figure out where I want them and get the ground ready - then go shopping or begging! I will have spots ready before the plant swap though, JUST IN CASE I find some.
Hubby just shakes his head at me.
Will let you all go now, before you are all bored totally senseless by my rambling.....Have a bright sunny day!
Carol B

o

Hi Flowersun, My established and revamped garden has perennials: lavender, sage, iris, daisies, delphinium, large dark Phormium & some annuals like violas. My latest project is two square foot beds which will be ready for planting this week-end (hopefully)they will be veggies & herbs and maybe some companion flowers. BUT anything can be used keeping in mind I'm a benign neglect gardener. This is very exciting!
I'm really not picky the only things I dislike are things that are hard to control or maintain like asparagus ferns! Cheers, Una

o
Irene_kemmel

Irene_kamel, I see you are a zone 7 and you have a two year old and a friendly German Shepard that lives next door! Would you like to be surprised or do you have a color theme or seed or plant preference? Can't wait to hear from you, Una

o

Hey vegangirl! I am really excited to be sending you some of my favorites! I have looked around the gardens and I have some ideas about what I would love to share, but I would like to know if there are particular categories of plants you collect or probably more important, is there anything that would be inappropriate for your garden? Do you favor certain colors? Do you have a theme garden? Are you trying to attract birds or butterflies? I checked your trade page but did not find any "wants". It would be great if you could give me some idea as to what you grow and how you garden. As soon as you do, I will start diggin'.

ctack2, I am sure I will be happy with whatever you send. If you came to Knox County, Kentucky (about 4 counties South of Pike and about 25 miles from the TN border) and ended up in my back yard you would find examples of all kinds of plants. I can find a place for just about anything. I hope you will send me something you enjoy having. Part of the fun for me will be the surprise!

o
RE: UPDATE: medontdo

medontdo- I have listed some stuff above. Some things I am looking for right now are bleeding hearts & delphiniums.

o
astilbebstillz6a & moonphase

Hey astilbebstillz6a & moonphase,

Astilbebstillz6a, I get to send a goodie box to you :) Thanks for the ideas on your last post - I think I gotcha covered!!! If you think of anything else you're looking for don't hesitate to say - never know what I might have :) I do have a question for ya - do you have any luck rooting cuttings? Just wondering... I'm so excited, I'll be in the garden this weekend filling your box!!!!

Moonphase - I look forward to a goodie box from you. I love anything perennial, don't have any shade in my yard - anything flower or foliage, vine or goundcover - surprise me :) This is going to be so fun!!!

Wendy

o
re: update: diene????

diene, What size box are we going to use? $8.10? When do we get addresses or do we email them separeately? Let us know how this usually goes..........I would like to start putting stuff together this weekend!!!
Tena

o

Howdee Moonphase,
My send to partner! I looked up your trade page and seems we kinda like some of the same things! WOW! That's great! If you can give me an idea of what grows best for you, or something you would like to have, maybe I have it. I know the suprise is part of the fun, but an idea of what you would like to have is good too, I think. I just ordered some daylilies, Woohoo! maybe I can share them! If you just want to be surprised, that's ok too.LOL...

Ctack- I have alot of slimy stuff in my garden too. Almost everything I have has received some frostbite. Some will recover, others I'm not so sure about. I know I have some Heucheras that didn't survive. I also think my snowflake Viburnum didn't make it, will have to wait and see.

Hope everyone has a great day!...Marylee

o

waiting on that weather to get all beautifull again so i can go out and plant all my little flowers, in them little disc things, Lol. when it does i'm gonna have to finish tilling the manuer into the dirt. i'm really excited about this. it just keeping them dogs out, speaking of which, i have 4 male pupps and 1 female, 3 days old. they are so cute! but they are all pinned and of course wont be going anywhere for a bit. lol i am so excited about being in a group of friends. sorry about that tena, boy you were right above me too, i was so busy lookin that i over looked. funny considering i always tell my kids not to do that, and how easy it is to do that! have to go "check" on them puppies. LOL have a great day all!!

o

Hi momtoboysjnj,
You are so right, this is going to be so much fun!
I like alot of different plants, I just thought I would list the ones I like best. I also like Veronicas, Balloonflowers, Butterfly bushes, geez, I have stuff in my yard I don't even know what it is and I still like it (could be a weed for all I know).LOL...As far as rooting cuttings, I have never tried it. I have been meaning to, but never have. I have some shrubs that I want to take cuttings from, but don't really know how. Why do you ask? Do you know how? Maybe you could tell me?
Happy gardening to all of you!...Marylee

o

Hello Everyone;
You should have each other's addresses but if not, you can contact me or contact your partner directly. As far as what size box, nothing bigger than the one rate but if someone is only sending seeds and bulbs, they do not even need to do priority. Most round robins insist on Delivery confirmations for their boxes. I have found this to be a complete waste of time and money. The post office will deliver it when they are good and ready and not at any time before that. Forget their two to three day promise, they make no guarantees. Forget being able to track with the DC, they have told me it is not a tracking service merely what it says "delivery confirmation". So when they deliver it, they may let you know. Sorry for the discertation as you can see that annoyed me. So please send your boxes the most economical way possible without compromising the contents. Live plants should be bare rooted and then wrapped in a damp paper towel or piece of newspaper, then wrapped in plastic (I use the bags from the grocery store). This is really turning out to be lots of fun. Thanks. diene

o
Marylee

I was just wondering about the cuttings because some things in my garden don't take well to transplanting and it's better if you take cuttings and make new plants but if you weren't familiar with it I didn't want to send cuttings - I want everything to grow beautifully in your garden!! I'm by no means an expert on cuttings but I have been able to start a few things that way, I think it's more a matter of luck than skill :)
I know what you mean about the weeds - I'm always finding new things in my yard, don't have a clue what they are but I like them!!
Well I'm off to the store (we're selling one of our rental properties and it is now time for clean up - paint and what have you), then to soccer practice we go!!
Have a great day,
Wendy

o
RE: Flat Rate Box

I've found that if you send heavy things like daylilies, you can get more in a box for cheaper than using a flat rate box. A box the size of a flat rate box will not cost the flat rate price if you are only sending it a few states away. Check with the post office for the best deal for you.
VG

o
Hello again Una

Ok, I think I'll pick some things you don't have and are easy care for you. Hopefully you will feel it is a nice surprise.

Flowersun aka Pat

o
Flowersun

• Posted by boballi 8 Central Valley CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 19:55

Flowersun!

Help me out here...Is there anything you are wanting? Anything you don't want?

Thanks partner!
boballi : )

o

Shadymeadow,
Hi partner!!So you live in the pacific northwest? I've been out west a few times and loved it! I've never been out farther than Colorado or Montana tho. Hubby and I really want to see Washington and Alaska.
So you like iris and daylilies? Me too!! They both grow so well here. I've started hoarding them this year.
What else do you like? Do you burn candles? If so what scents do you like? This is so cool, it's my first real robin. I've always just swapped seeds.
So aside from trying your hand at gardening, do you have any other hobbies? Ok, I'll quit throwing questions at ya!! Michelle

o
Hi Boballi

Ok.... let's see.... No annuals. I love daylilies. I would love to have some naked lady lilies... I like gingers... sunloving perennials like coneflower, butterfly bush. I hope that helps....

Flowersun

o

Hello Astilbe et al;
How can you have heuchera that did not make it because of a frost. Mine survive here in sub zero weather. They should be fine. Perennials are a lot hardier than you think. I am zone 5 sometimes zone 4 and I have things that are not supposed to be alive bloom year after year. It really helps to put them to bed properly in the fall. Not sure you have to do that at all.
Vela, you were concerned because you felt that your partners (giver and receiver) were several zones from you. I believed that you were far enough south that anything that survived in your part of the world would be able to stand the heat in theirs and visa versa. I know I could have put the two people from Florida together and Kentucky, etc. but that seemed boring to me so I did not. I loved the idea as a new gardener of receiving plants from far away as well as getting to know people.
As far as the cuttings question, I know I am not that good at doing that but some plants are pretty easy. I think if you are sending cuttings, you need to send some specific instructions for your partner. But really, anything goes, so if you are comfortable with cuttings, that is a skill everyone would love to perfect.
There are several people in this group that have some really special skills that I would love to have more exposure to. Remember, I am probably as much of a novice in gardening as you but I have been on GW longer. This is going to be a great way for you all to get some exposure to Round Robins. Some of the other GW people may not approve of all of my methods so before you join any robin, make sure you know the rules and you are comfortable with them. For this one I would like to keep the "rules" at a minimum. We all have so many rules in our lives that gardening and all of the things associated with it should not have rules. That is my story and I am sticking to it!!
Any questions I failed to answer can be readdressed if you still think it is important. Just remember to have fun. diene

o

Hello guys,

Vela75...what kind of things are you looking for? I got your address today, thank you.

Irene, I am sending you an e-mail with my address.

dirtfloor,

I have only had him two months. He is my little prince. (it is a boy) I am not going to breed him as he has a heart murmer. I would not want to pass that down on to any kittens. I adopted him knowing this and wanted to give him a chance and I am glad I did. He will be fixed as soon as the vet says it is ok.

Hi Carol!!! I sent your seeds out this morning. I hope you like them!

By the way guys, I was at Walmart and they had packets of seeds on sale for 30 cents each! I got all kinds! Like I need anymore. Maybe I will adopt another newbie....or send Carol more....

I am about to fall out of my chair. I got ANOTHER passionflower today. A red one. Now I have 4 of them...(I know...I'm obsessive) I can't help it....it is my favorite flower and has been since I was about 4. My grandma had them growing on the side of her house. And now that I have mine I am finding them everywhere. Isn't that just the way it goes....LOL. My boyfriend said today "Don't be upset if I get too close with the weedwacker" I said "WHAT???? You better not. You better get out there with scissors!" So we agreed he would not get near them and I would take care of trimming around them. Whew!!!

I am very excited about this swap! I hope everyone likes what they get.

Laurie

o
Medontdo

Well I found this post on another new thread.
I will let her know to come her for the rest of her posts but I thought you should all see this.diene

hello everyone!! i just got in at the last minute, whew! barely made it!! this year i decided to take alot on and go all the way, a huge (to me) garden, its bigger than our house, and a 50x25 flower bed, i have more than enough room for them, that's just one i got the ok on from the hubby, lol he even helped till it and all, that was so sweet!! and if one fails the other surely won't.lol and i also am gonna learn to can this fall, i am so very anxious!! i figure the freezing can't be that hard to do, we bought a bigger freezer so i could, i am just so anxious!! thank you so much!! have a great day!

o

Hi Laurieann! I like all flowers and plants. I don't have a vegetable garden, so I really wouldn't have a use for vegetables, but other than that I will be thrilled with anything. I love perenniels (gee, that spelling doesn't look right), bulbs, and anything that multiplies year after year. I'm not concerned about things being "named", and I have a place for just about anything (full sun, shade). So, don't worry too much about making me happy, as I'm sure I will be thrilled with whatever you send! :-)

o
Amyinms

Hi Amy!! Are there certain things you like/dislike? I really hope you like your box from me!

o

Hi Poisondartfrog!

I have full sun and all degrees of shade. I like perennials and bulbs. I've always wanted Japanese Iris, Japanese anemones, one of those black or dark purple sedums, different bulbs (hardy or summer bulbs), tiny leaved hostas, heucheras, phloxes,pulmonarias,dainthus, etc. I like to know the names of my plant cultivars, if possible but not absolutely necessary. I like all colors. I'm sure I'll be happy with anything you send :-)

Seashellspcola, What types of flowers do you like?

o

astilbestill,I am so not hard to please..I have a place for what ever you send and know I will love it.I have a cottage garden, rose bed,a herb garden w/ a few lilies,a woodland garden.so have lots of sun and lots of shade.I will let you surprise me.
moonphase

Wendy,you are my partner.There is no info on your page.Could you please let me know what you would like.Any wants,what is your garden areas,etc.Any clue will help...
Thanks.
Diene..I did not get any address info.if you sent them out.so,,Wendy need your address also
moonphase

o
Hey Moonphase

Well lets see... I have very little shade in my gardens, I love perennials, I have herbs - would love lavender & rosemary as I haven't gotten around to getting those yet, I have roses, daylilies, oriental & asiatic lilies, lots of iris, peonies, cannas, datura, brugmansia - flower or foliage, groundcover or vines... I love it all. I'm one of those girls that hits the clearance racks every week looking for plants to rescue :) Matter of fact I just did that today!! Surprise me, trust me I can find a spot for anything you want to send!!
I'm sending you my address right now :)
Wendy

o
Michelle (missmshell)

Washington is a very pretty state, you would like it. I really enjoy all the "green" and the pine trees (although the natives tell me they are "fir trees"). I'm originally from CA and they look like pine trees to me.LOL

In addition to iris and daylilies, I would also like to try some other types of lilies, canna, poppies, candytuft and possibly some black eyed susan. I also like container gardening, so anything that would go in a pot.

But really, I'm sure I will like whatever you send. We purchased our house last June and nothing has been done to the yard so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Oh also, the yard is mostly sun.

Hobbies? Right now, just working on the house. There is so much to do. I enjoy decorating (not much into candles though) and I want to get the inside and outside painted this summer. Would love to talk someone into making some window boxes for me and I want some kind of entry deck. The front of our house is so plain, it really needs something to dress it up a bit.

DIENE (my "send to" partner)

You have a good idea of what I will be sending to you, but I have have a couple of surprises in mind as well.

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be a lot of fun.

Sandy

o

Oh,Sandy,if you happen to NOT get Black eyed Susan let me know,LOL I have LOTS. While I was in Kodiak I kept asking for BES every year. Generous people sent it and it never survived. Now, here in the hot and sunny south I finally have lots, pleanty to share. It is the State Flower here and that gives me a good excuse to plant it everywhere.
Bet you could make your own window boxes with some 1 x 6 Cedar, a hammer and a drill.
Beth B

o

Hi Everyone,
I hope all of you are having nice weather today. It's going to be around 62 here.

Diene - I'm not sure if the heuchera are dead, but they don't have any green at all, they are just brown all over. They weren't very big, I planted them last fall. I didn't cover them up before the frost came, I thought they would be ok. I have several more and they are getting their green leaves back. Do you think maybe it was the variety?
They were Firefly, Pretty Polly and Snow Angel. The Snow Angel was growing in an pot.
I'll leave them alone, maybe they will come back.

Moonphase - Thanks for the info. It's great that you have sun and shade! I think I have some things that you will enjoy. I would like to have at least one good shade tree!..LOL...We do have a Redbud tree, but I don't think you can actually call those shade trees...LOL. It's not very big, but I have a few heuchera, columbine and a couple of small hosta planted under it.

I hope all of you have a wonderful day!...Marylee

o
Boballi

Another thing about me that might help. I am new at ponding, I have bog plants, but am in desparate need of floating plants... so that is another idea... especially if you have a friend with a pond, that might share with you. Floating water plants that are ok to send to FL are anacharis, sensitive vine, parrot feather to name a few.

o

i havent heard from my partner, where are you?? hope all is alright with this funny weather! its supposed to get sunny tomarrow. can you say planting? Lol i think my carnations fudded out on me. o i totally want some of those passion flowers if ya have the extra. lol i have this dwarf cherry tree that keeps sproutin babies so we kept mowin over them, now they all have big roots, any body want em? lol i just got 100 hosta seeds. i'm like i don't need that many but i do know people who need some, lol. i like to read on these things. lol i'm an info hog. Lol i love fragrant stuff and colorful things mostly perennials and fruit bearing things and am seriously looking for aspargus and rhubarb. i would love for everything to be all perenial in my vege beds on day and tasty. lol could you imagine that. Lol my pups are growing like weeds only 4 days old. have a great day!!

o

Hey Busylizzy! Wanna give me some hints? With you being a MG that is a bit intimidating so what do you enjoy planting the most? Flowers, veggies, herbs...

o

Oh yeah,
momstoboysjnj,
I keep forgetting that who we send to and who we receive from are different.LOL
If you want to send cuttings, that's absolutely fine, there's no time like the present to learn how to root them. And I don't care if plants are named or not, I can still enjoy their presents in my garden, with or without a name.LOL...Marylee

o
Flowersun

Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 12:21

Good Morning!

We have a friend that has a ton of water-hyacinth, and would LOVE to get rid of it. Unfortunately(LOL), it is illegal to have in Florida without a permit...It is a pretty but noxious weed.

o

ok i got some stuff put together and this weekend i'm going to dig a few things out that we have many of. I hope you will enjoy what I send.

o

i am sure i will!! : ' ) i am so very anxious! so send and to recieve!! this is so exciting!! instead of just wondering if your gonna get your seeds or stuff you sent off for! Lol this is so totally cool. i love to make our own laundry soap and all of our things we spray and make is homemade, i worry about all the things in there. and with the recalls on animal foods it just reinforces all my fears. and i found out that the prett stuff thats growing on my tree that we thought was a native honeysuckle may be poison oak or somethin, Lol, yep, i got the marks to prove it, Lol so my awesome mg neighbor is gonna come over and spray it all out. AGAIN!!! LOL stubborn stuff. LOL and i'm so excited burbaq!! medo i can just feel the excitement in the "room" Lol

o

Apparently I can't spell very well (presence), Oh well, I can't type or use the computer very well either.LOL...
Diene, what is the cut off date for sending out boxes. I thought I saw it posted somewhere, but can't seem to find it now. Thanks...Marylee

o

ya know, i forgot one more thing, has anyone seen a purple, more of a deep purple rose, thats fragrant? if so and they'd have it i'd totally be interested in a clipping!! my hubby wants one, for space for my flower gardens. so i been looking! Lol i keep telling him it's less you have to mow!! Lol i'm looking at that silver lining!! Lol ok, think i'm finally done for the day, he'll have the wireless card. Lol lucky duck!! : ' ) Lol

o
Boballi - yep on that one

Yep... you can ship Water hyacinth to Florida....

o

dirtfloor,
Hi!! Man, I sat here and typed a long post last night and I guess I never clicked submit! Oops!! Anyway...Yup I lasgna garden (i have the book). It works better than you could imagine!! So you make gel candles? I love candles. I don't even light them anymore, I have one of those warmers and it works great!
So you're a poppy nut? I wintersowed some this year, but when I went to check on them yesterday morning something had totally destroyed all my containers. I was pretty livid. I like lilies and peony as well. I only have a few lilies tho. I really want to get my hands on some stargazer!! I have lots of yard so I'm pretty open to any perrenials and bulbs.
So you have berries? Our plans are an organic berry and apple operation. I get my apple trees from a nursery here in NY. They ship too! They are in zone 3. His trees are all grafts. They are grafted onto russian root stock for hardiness. It's called St. Lawrence nursery. They have a website.
Well partner, I'll letcha go!! Michelle

o
Boballi - whoops.... recap

Yep, you are right you CAN'T ship water hyacinth to Florida... I see I made a really bad typo!

o

medontdo: don't mow over all the cherries-I'd love to try some here!!! I'm not sure how well cherries will do here. They grow them all over in the Flathead valley to the west of there tho.

missmshell: we'll have to talk about how the lasagne gardening works some time!! What types of candle scents do you usually like? florals, earthy or fruits and berries?
I am going to start working on your package this weekend!! I like this part I get so excited about putting together a surprise box.......love getting them too better than christmas!!! No plants shipping to MT at christmas!!! HA!

o
RE: UPDATE: momtoboysjnj

momtoboysjnj: Please keep me in mind if you would like to get rid of any passionflower vines. I would love to have some in my new hot tub room!!!
Tena

o

Vegangirl, I am happy to see that I can satisfy at least a couple of your wants. I also noticed on some previous posts that you have an area of woodland garden. Can you tell me if you already have any of these? Trillium grandiflorum, Stylophorum diphyllum (Celandine Poppy), or Saxafrage stolonifera? How about Convallaria majalis (white lily of the valley), Mertensia virginica, or Dicentra spectablis alba (White Bleeding Heart)?
Just wondering....
Alana

o
dirtfloor

Hey Tena,
I'm going to try to get some passionflower babies out of the yard this weekend - some are about 3 inches high - they grow super quick so there's always new ones sprouting somewhere!!!

I've never dug out the babies to send, I've always done seed but I'm going to see how these do moving them. When I'm sure they will be okay I will let you know :)

I've got a full weekend so I guess I'll be back on here Monday ..... busy, busy, busy.... why can't I be lazy, lazy, lazy????

Ya'll have a great weekend :)
Wendy

o

dirtfloor- Lasagna gardening is pretty easy. There is no set items you have to use except newspaper and I think you can even use cardboard. When we bought our farm there was like 5000 bales of hay in our barn and quite a bit had started to rot bcuz of a leak. So I used a lot of that. I make my beds in fall and season them over winter.
As far as candles go, I really like spicey scents like pumpkin pie, oatmeal cookie. And anything apple!!
so you live in centrall Montana? I have a childhood friend that lives in Big Timber. I visited a couple years ago. we went snowmobiling in west yellowstone. That is the most incredible place I have ever been!!
michelle

o

Hi Alana,

Of the plants you mentioned, I don't have Mertensia virginica, or Dicentra spectablis alba (White Bleeding Heart). I used to have a white bleeding heart but it seems to be gone:-) I really liked it. I said I liked tiny leaved hostas but should add that I like all sizes of hostas! Someone mentioned cuttings. I wouldn't mind cuttings of flowering shrubs. We have a mist system set up and I enjoy experimenting with cuttings.

Seashellspcola, where oh where are you? :-) I would like to get your box out next week and would love some input.

o
Hello everyone

Hello All;
This is a great group and there is so much talent and uniqueness. I want to know all about lasagne gardening, if the rooting works, and really important idea. Anyone that has a digital camera, can you take a picture of the area you are going to cultivate when your boxes come in. Then I would like to have a reunion of the group in the late summer early fall to share what the plants we received look like.
Some will probably be great and a few not so healthy. But it will be fun to get together again. I bought a smoke plant today real cheap but it may not be viable. I have the roots soaking now, keep your fingers crossed.
Have a great weekend. diene

o

Diene, I love the idea of a before and after pic!! I just took my before pic. Boy, is my yard UGLY!!!!

misssmshell, when you come next time you can swing on by. Big Timber is only 45 miles away. west Yellowstone is cool. Incredible place.
Tena

o

Hello everyone!!!!!!
I am so sorry that I haven't been quite up to par on my postings. I have been so busy with work and finals at School it has taken so much time.........Almost done though! Well for this semester anyway. Ha

*Bobilli*
Hi, I wanted to say hello and I can't wait to send your box. I took a look at your exchange page and I see a lot of seeds that I can fill but I didn't see any plants listed that you would like. I see you like butterfly gardening, and you are starting specific color gardens. Any specific colors? Anything specific you are looking for?

*Vegangirl*
Hi to you too. I am sorry I didn't reply to your earlier post. I am very new to gardening. I feel like it is Christmas everytime I get an exchange or seeds in the mail. Lets see.............I love fruit bearing trees, flowering shrubs, spreading perennials, anything unique and colorful. I am mostly full sun and during the summer HOT! I will appreciate anything you send. I can't wait this is so exciting.

*Diene*
Hi, this is turning out to be so much fun and you are doing a fabulous job keeping it all together. One thing is I didn't get my buddies address? Could you please send it again? Also when is the deadline for getting our boxes out? Thanks so much

*Everyone* Have a great weekend!!!

seashellspcola AKA: Melanie

o

Laurie.....I can't wait to get my adoption kit in the mail. And, no need to adopt anyone else, just send the extras too me....adoption is too much trouble....just keep me. I like being an only child. LOL.

This is all fun and exciting - the being adopted AND the swap....but I got the most wonderful gift from my dad tonight and I wanted to share....he gave me a quart jar about 2/3 full of old old beans from his mother! WOOHOO. If I can get one, just one, of those babies to germinate it will be party time at our house! He said she probably grew those same beans for 60 or 70 years. She was 98 when she passed away about 9 years ago. I'm going to the bean forum to get advice on what to do to try to get germination, but if any of you have ideas, let me know.

Alana, these beans came from Pike County! Small world, isn't it? Now I just gotta figure out what to do with all these white flower seeds I have hanging around. LOL.

Have a great day everyone!

Carol B

o

Hello guys,

Does anyone have a clue where I can get lycoris radiata...aka red spider lily? That is the last true "want" on my list and I can't find it. Wah!!!

Vela75,

Ok good. I have plenty of all of that. You should get a good variety. I have a ton of bulbs and I can not plant them all. I have found that growing from bulbs is very easy for me. I've had some dissapointments with seeds. I always thouhgt I had a black thumb anyway....so I am happy something is growing. Seedlings make me happy. :o)

Hey! My freesia sprouted! I was happy to see that. I hear that they smell really good. I also have a blackberry lily that just came out of hiding. :o)

Man....do I have a job cut out for me. I have to try and figure out what types of passionflowers I have. Someone said the purple one was either Amethyst or Lavendar Lady. I looked online, and it says they are the same thing. I guess I have a lot of research to do. And the others have not opened yet.

Hey Carol,

I was thinking about sending you some more. I got two packs of everything and I might go get some more. Who knows. I have to get postage this weekend too but that depends on how tired I am this weekend...I have a lot of laundry to do...YUCK! Would rather be in the yard.

Anyway, it is like 1:30 in the morning here, so I think I am going to bed. Goodnight!

Laurie

o

Poisondartfrog,

I forgot to say that I would be absolutely thrilled with a Mertensia!!! I love them and have never had one.

Melanie,
Thanks for the ideas :-)

VG

o

Hello Everyone;
I think the dialogue on this swap is great, we may have to start a third thread when the boxes start coming but we will worry about that then. It also sounds like you guys are doing more trading and sharing of info, etc. That is great.
One note, if you need something from me or anyone else, you may want to e-mail them directly as a message in a message can get be overlooked. Just trying to make sure information keeps flowing as it is now. Hope you all have a great day. diene

o
Laurie - red spider lily

Laurie - do you by any chance have a bulb or two to spare. I would love to add that to my gardens. I see that you are Zone 9, perhaps we could trade something.

Flowersun

o

dirtfloor, i'll send ya one of them babies!!! Lol and Laurie if ya wanna get rid of some of your amethyst passion flower i'd sure love some! and vegan i have hosta seeds if ya want some. lets see.... oh ya funny!! missmshell? did i ge that right, that's funny, cuz i'm into but havn't started it all the way yet lasagna gardening and i'm so lucky cuz my neighbor accross the street delivers papers and gives me all the extra if i want it. Lol perfect!! and another neighbor down the street gives e all the straw manuer i want, lol. all i have to do is scoop. not a prob. Lol and the other thing is, my name is michele, with 1 l. Lol and i LOVE scented candles o so much!! i found a few homemade ones online that seem cool, havn't tried em yet though. i can't wait till my spearmint and lavender come up, i want to make essential oils out of them, and make bug sprays for my kids. talla gets eaten pretty bad, so i use a mint/oil spray on her and the things leave her alone!! they don't with bug spray. so its talla proof! Lol
which reminds me, dirtfloor, talla picked out some of your stuff, she's really into this, and got ahead of me a little, imagine that, LOL, so some of it, whew, your guess is as good as mine on the "stuff" LOL LOL man that was onery!!! :') we wrote down a whole list, so its been a family project, well my daughter, son (tabor) and i. its been really really fun!! you can't imagine! to get your 11 yr old into something other than the dog or other kids! Lol actually when it came to kids i was blessed with the most awesome children!! they listen (around other people) they're very good (around other people) etc. LOL well its sat. the sun is out and even though my face is got the poison ivy stuff, i'm gonna move some gooseberries to the garden that hase'nt been used yet. finally found something for that spot!! LOL have an awesome day!!

o

Ok Laurieann, you've got me all excited now!!! I'm easy to please, so really, no worries here...I'm just ecstatic to know that SOMETHING is coming!

Ok Amy....come out come out wherever you are!!

o

Hi Vela

Sorry I went missing for a few days things have been so hectic here. My dh is self employed and I just took over some of the company stuff plus his 17 y/o son has decided to join us . I also have an 11 y/o son and a 8 y/o son (who is autistic) that help me in the garden. Its very relaxing for me and with a teenager in the house I just might move out there permanently

I have a small veggie garden 7x11 I use (loosely lol) the squarefoot method its about 2/3 full right now. At home I have a small flower garden I am working on and a fairly decent size (for around here) yard I am working on. I have containers and pots I am filling up and a huge to do list lol. I also love herbs and thats one of my projects now. I am really not very particular. Seeds cuttings baby plants are all welcome here. Its been hit and miss with some of the things I am trying from seed but I keep trying :-)

I am originally from WV right outside Charleston moved to NC when I was 19 to get warm LOL I hate the snow and cold. Then moved to OK for love (there is no other reason to go there lol)2 years ago then down here to MS last Nov. In spite of all the damage and destruction this is an awesome place to live! I love it here. We live 3 blocks from the beach and so many things grow here I end up at the local nursery almost every weekend just to ask questions lol one of the guys there is a retired horticulturist from Tulane lol and I follow him around like a he's a rock star

I am zone 9 so the only thing that wont grow here are things that need cold stratification or need cold to go dormant because save the crazy weather this past winter it rarely gets cold here-cold here is below 60 lol and we are about to die its so cold it is below 40 which is measured in days not months

Reckon I really got off on a tangent there :-) will try and get some pictures soon

Amy in MS

o

i have a ? for anyone. has anyone tasted the vine peach? i am looking for fruit that grows on vines besides the usual, watermelon, cantelope i've got them planted, that's all i could find in our stores. so i thought what if i could find some to grow up trees and fences and such. but te fruit wouldnt be too heavy. anyone have any idea's? and another ? what ratio does your manuer have to be, i mean the most manuer? i don't want it to stink too much, but i have clay soil, and in ks where i am, in the summer it gets hot and muggy!! so it will get reaking bad, i think. Lol any idea's, PLEASE! i don't want to ask mg to much stuff, Lol

o

how do you get pics put onto here?

o

Thanks Amy! I'm sorry, I don't have a veggie garden, but hopefully I can help you out with your flower beds! Do you know if Iris and Daffodils will grow in your area? I don't know what needs what to grow...I just figure if they sell it in my area it should grow here...LOL!! If not, I'm sure I'll come up with some things. :-)

o
medontdo

medontdo - Load your pictures onto photobucket (it's a free photo hosting website). Then you can just copy and paste the html code onto your post.

o

ok, i dont know how to copy and paste,either, i'm decent at looking up stuff, Lol : ' ) Lol oh, and talking, imagine that, Lol. thanks! the poison ivy didn't come from the "native honeysuckle", its really native honeysuckle, and i guess it smells good, i also was busy transplanting a bunch of gooseberries into the garden today, there was a bunch of poison ivy there, so i was smart to go down a little ways and start diggin. Lol thank you so much vela!! your way awesome!! ; ' )

o

Vela

Iris will grow here but sometimes daff's will to I can always pot them then put them in the shop and replant after a stay in the freezer. Anything at all you want to send is fine if its out of its zone I can always pot it and move it around :-)

What part of WV are you in?

Amy in MS

o

Amy,

I know what you mean about it being so cold at 40 LOL. We used to spend winters working in Al and MS and I firmly believe it is colder there at 40 than it is here in the mountains at 30!
VG

o

ok, got the account set up, but now all i need to do is figure the other out, and take befor pics. lol i have 1 now. the hubby workin on my "small" flower garden, his idea was to till, mine was to just shovel then til the dirt, then i didn't have to deal with all the grass rerooting, and i could try and transplant the grass somewhere else. its pretty so i hate to waste it. he's not a worker, lol i'm a get in there and do it. Lol and gripe about the blister later. Lol not as much work to do now, no more back breaking, Lol just alotta planting. i thought of another way to put that then the way it came out!! it wasn't so "clean" Lol i decided to put the datura's and dantura's and burmesa (i think i spelt it wrong) and moon vine or flower all in the same area, not worried abt cross pollination. and i decided to make an area of just purple with low lying pinks and yellows, don't know why those particular colors on the lowers. but we'll see. purple is my favorite color. my hubby's too. our bdays same. so we're both amethyst. funny huh! i just have to find a shade loving fragrant flower. any idea's? gotta go have a great evening!!:')

o
Amy and Medontdo

Amy - breathing a big sigh of relief that I think I can send you something!! Thanks! I'm from Parkersburg.

Medontdo - I'm assuming you know how to get the pictures on your computer.....so all you have to do for photobucket is log into your account, click on "browse"...you can then "browse" your computer...go to the file you keep your pictures in (mine are in "my documents...my photos")but yours may be somewhere else on your computer. Wherever you store them. Select the picture you want and click on it. The address of that picture will then show up in the space to the left of the browse button...then an "upload" option will show up. Click upload. Once uploaded, scroll down and your picture should be there. Three options will be listed under your picture. One will be "URL Link", one will be "HTML Tag", and one will be "IMG code". The one you want is HTML Tag. It should start with

o
Cut off my message!!!

It cut off my message! Anyway, here's the rest of it

It should start with < and the letter a.....click to the left of the <. Then you are going to click again, but this time, hold the mouse button down...while holding the button down "highlight" the whole code (you do this by moving the mouse to the right over the whole code while holding the button down). Then right click on what you just highlighted...a little menu should come up, one of the options should be "copy". Select copy. You have just copied your HTML code!! Now, all you have to do is once you are here and typing, you will right click again where you want to put your picture, now there will be a "paste" option. Click on that. The code will show up. That should take care of it! When you preview your message, you should be able to see your picture. This is really detailed...it isn't hard once you do it...I'm sure it looks like a long process, but it's not. I find it easier to open two internet screens, I have one of them open to Gardenweb, and one open to photobucket...that way you can copy and paste as many pictures as you want without having to completely change websites. I hope you can follow all of this, I'm not the best at explaining things.

o

thanks! your better than i am at it, i do alot of thing in the things, Lol well i got a pic uploaded. now all i have to do is get the other part done. its my fav one so far. my hubby was working on something that i wanted done! that makes me so happy! i'm easy to please, he bought me a vac cleaner, i was so happy!! crazy huh?? Lol

o
my hubby working on something i want!! Lol

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket lets see if this works now. this would be my hubby working on my littleflower garden. the patch to the right is the gooseberries. i'll send a pic later of the whole thing, if i can. Lol

o
You got it!!!

Alright!!! Hubbies working!! That's what we like to see around here! LOL!!!

o

ya, me too!! Lol he's gonna kick my butt if he see's that!! especially on the net!! Lol i sure wish this was like a chat room, ya know. that would be cool. thanks for showing me that!! now i learned like 3 things today. not including the gooseberries thing. i can't wait til they grow. i hav'nt eaten any in years!! Lol this year is all about learning new things for me, well actually doing them, Lol, instead of saying it. ha ha been doing that for years. Lol i think mostly i'm gonna freeze my veges, but can my pickled beets and some kind of pickle recipe that my mother in law gave me. the pickled beets are way awesome! not like any other i've tasted. my mom and i stood in front of the spices looking for 10 min. i kid you not, and had to call joy ( m i law) and ask her what it looked like, and she was all explaining it to me and just a laughin at me (not mean like) and here the whole time the spice was turned around. Lol talk about feeling totally dumb!!! so we bought like 5 of em so we didn't have to deal w that again. Lol my garden hasn't really grown yet, i planted too early, the freeze hit. but slowly the stuff comes up. i'm so anxious for everything to come up so i can pull the weeds. Lol i don't know what's what and lester tell's me everythings a weed. my neighbor. he's smart. but i'm optimistic. or dingy!! :')

o

Holy cow! It was 80 degrees today!!! far cry from cold and frost last week and snow the week before. Nothing like jumping right into summer. I think I over did it today though. Too much sun and running a shovel. Fence came out today that was woven wire with matrimony vine growing all through it!! That stuff is a nightmare to dig out!! that makes more room for flower beds. YEA! I'll prob be killing matrimony vine for the next 5 years. My house is situated on a couple of lots and then there is a pretty steep hill to go down to get to the lower property. The bottom lots have has nothing done to them that includes mowing, spraying of weeds or even watering for the last 6 years--what a mess!!! Weed spraying tomorrow!

I'll try to put in the links to my before pics.
Thanks Diene for the idea. I think that I am going to try to put all of my Very firstest ever Round Robin Trade items into a bed of their own. That would a really neat theme for a little bed!!

Here is a link that might be useful: my ugly back yard

o

Hello Dirtfloor;
How far are you from Billings? Is the weather supposed to stay that way for a few days? My DH is headed there tomorrow and was planning on looking at the weather channel later for that info. It would be fun to tell him I already knew without going to the weather channel. We are still having cold, rainy days but since I have new things in the ground, I do not mind. I just pray we do not have any more snow or frost. Hope everyone else had great weather today. This is way more fun that I ever thought it would be. diene

o

ok tena, make that bed abt, lets see.....ha ha not tellin. but way to put that heat on eh??? Lol i can't wait!!! i just need to get these things sent off!!! Lol been diggin' up stuff. Lol is there a way to send a link with just one code vela? instead of a whole bunch? cuz i took pictures but i got like 15,one leads into the other. and i don't want to fill up this page with codes, also i do'nt want all of them to show up, kinda want them to do like tena's did. any help?? i'm so loving this!!! i hope we all stay talking after this is done. its hot today!!!!

o
our yard album

i hope this turns out right. http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/my garden things/ its taken from the west, on the north side first. i've got lots of work to do, you'll see!!! i just went in a complete circle.

o
I love puppies!!!

MEDONTDO - That's a LOT of puppies!! They're so teeny...how many are there...7 or 8? To cute!

o
Una... your package will be on the way!

Hi Una - I have your package all done and will be mailing it tomorrow morning. While it was not necessary to send priority I decided to do that because I'm accustomed to it. I'll send you an e-mail as well just in case you do not see this.

Hope you like what I picked for you.

Flowersun

o
Flowersun

Thanks Flowersun, You're the best! I love surprises! I guess I'll have to get on the ball. Cheers, Una

o

Medontdo;
What great pictures, I am always surprised to see flat yards with few rocks. I just tried to increase the size of a flower bed by about seven feet long by ten feet wide and had enough rocks to build a wall. That does not take into account the rocks that border it on both sides. I will have to look at the directions and figure out how to post pictures.
By the way, we are at 100 messages and when we near 150 anyone can start a new thread, just list it as Update 2: Make New Friends. But wait until we get closer so we can finish this swap in three threads. Everyone have a wonderful week. diene.

o

Hi everyone, I hope your weekends were great!
I was at work but loved every minute of the evenings. It is so beautiful here. During the day its getting pretty warm about 85 degrees but at night its about 60 degrees and perfect.

*Vegangirl-One thing I am looking for is painted daisies, I had forgotten about those when I posted before. I would love these if you happen to have any.

I haven't done the pictures before I hope this works! If it does I will post a picture of the area I am working on tomorrow.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

*Boballi-Hi I looked at your trade page but didn't get a lot of ideas can you give me some?

Have a great week everyone!!!!
Melanie

o

vela we have 5 puppies, they were born tuesday, and they already crawl all over the place!! even though their eyes are closed. leave it to be in our family! Lol thanks dien! i would love to see your yard and yours too melanie, we only been working on a trade forever! Lol i'm so anxious!! :') well it seems like forever. and now ya know what the tree looks like. o now i gotta go take a pic of the roses. well, after they bloom, Lol they look like spikes now. and i bought 3 more. forgive me, the only one i remember is don juan, he he he. married to a volunteer firefighter, cop on the weekends, and security guard during the week, w a girl who is still stuck to her mom at night, hmmmm wonder why i only remember that one, must be wishful thinking. (sighing) LOL ;-) LOL and the other two one is yellow i believe and i believe i lost the other one. lester said not yet, there's still hope. i hope!! still looking for the purple one though. my new quest. Lol

o

VG

I always thought it was just me with the cold in the south now I have someone who can vouch for it being true :-)

Hope to get some pics up soon had to buy a camera for work (yes really lol!) so I have been practicing on the yard

I love the pictures that have been posted
Amy in MS

o
RE: UPDATE: Your forecast Diene

Diene, I'm about 92 miles NW of Billings. Forecast says 70 degrees tomorrow. then 78 & 80 Tuesday and wed! YEA!!!!!! Can summer really be here? Gotta go pack up a box to ship out!
Bye
Tena

o

here's a "thing" i use on my kids, they have dry skin, and i use that microfibre stuff, my mom's idea (i'm gettin to a point here) and i like to garden bare handed cuz i can "feel" everything. so touching that stuff is sticky!!! so... i use for everything. palmers cocobutter ( that hard stuff) and olive oil, i mix together in a food processor, i put in the cocobutter first and let it get all smooth, then i add a little at a time of olive oil til it gets to the consistency i want. works great! a boy in our church has immune eczema and he uses it and it helps him too. but if you use it use a little at a time cuz that's all you need. Lol we use ALOT of home remedies for stuff. Lol sending off your package tuesday morning tena. i'm soooo anxious!!!

o

Here are some pictures of my yard an neighborhood including some of my favorite gardens.
They all have such great stories-
*the really colorful one was planted the spring before the storm by my next door neighbors late wife. She died shortly after and he replants every year in her memory.
* The one on the fence is a family that lost everything and just came back home
*the formal one is laid out with paths and everything in front of a fema trailer
*the one in front of the octoganal house is a social worker who lost everything but loves garden junk and native plants and flowers
*the other pics are from my neighborhood and the beach is the Gulf of Mexico 3 blocks from the house-and yes they told us we are crazy to buy here!

Amy in MS

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy's pics

o

Amy,
You have a great yard! What a beautiful area. No wonder you are willing to take the risk to live there.
Your pictures of the area are illustrative of the resilience of gardeners, who always seem to find a way to grow things against incredible obstacles.

Vegangirl, I am shooting for a Wednesday ship date for your box. I hope you enjoy it!
Alana

o

your yard is so pretty amy!! that elm tree is pretty too. i don't know all the tree's lester planted. he used to own the two lots that my garden and arch is on, so he planted tree's and all kinds of stuff over there. so i kept them all. he's one of them people that could grow anything. his wife is korean, she is an awesome cook!! i love them to pieces!! we have to mow but its supposed to rain the next 3 days so i see absolutely no point!! have a beautiful day!!

o

Good Afternoon Everyone;
It is still raining here but might be letting up. I spent most of the morning on the phone and packing boxes. Maeflower has a package heading her way. I did not ask her what she wanted as I had plenty of things to share and I was afraid she would specifically say she did not want what I was sending. I think she will enjoy everything, I am very excited about all of the the things I sent as they are all things I am adding to my garden this year. Maeflower if you do a better job cataloguing plants I would love pictures but it is not necessary. Have a wonderful May. diene
I nearly forgot, I use flat rate boxes and buy postage on line so I have a delivery confirmation number for Maeflower (they offer it as a free service when you purchase postage on line). I do not have much faith in the promises that go with it but I do post it when I have it so.... 01038555749061703794.

o

Ok Michelle I just got done writing my note to you and heading off to the post office now to mail your package.

o

I can't wait burbaq!!!! YAY!!!! today i checked the mail at the post office and they said " michele, your mailbox is overfilled!!! it's all your stuff" i was like, no way!! and i got 3 envelopes plus melanies stuff in today!! Thank you!! it was christmas in almost may!! tomarrow i get to mail off tena's, melanie's and one other person's package! i'm so anxious!! i get to trade a dwarf cherry tree for a big cherry tree!! awesome!!!

o

Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 17:10

Hi Everybody!

Sorry, I haven't be on-line lately...Life has just been extremely hectic lately.

*Seashellspcola*
I am currently focusing on my front & side yard, back fence, and behind house beds.

The front yard gets morning sun...the side yard gets full sun. They both will have yellow, apricot/orange, and dark coral colors like my 'Orange Ice' rose bush (see picture) and 'Cherie' hibiscus.

My back fence area gets morning sun, also. It's colors are violet, yellow, and white. I currently have 'Dark Blue' Plumbago, Sweet Broom, and white Calla Lily.

The beds along the back side of my house get full sun. They are following a red(yellow not blue tint), yellow, and white pallet. I have a red rose and a white 'Bolero' rose.

I would love any of the following: glads, dahlias, iris (any color), lilies (any variety), etc.

I hope this helps...I know I will be happy with whatever you send.

o
Oops!

Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 17:13

How do you adjust the size of picture when posting?

Sorry that it's soooo big.

boballi

o

I think i'm going to take some picture of the house and yard tomorrow, it's not much compared to some of yours that i've seen but it's something :)

o

its gotta be beautiful burbaq!! i can't wait to see more pics!! those flowers are so beautiful!! omg!! take your breath away!! i love things with more than one color!! :-) and as one lady said in her page, things that have dramatic color. it's amazing what you can find beauty in!! o ya! my beets are coming up. this is getting exciting.

o
Boballi

While I'm not a rose person (growing them), I sure do appreciate those who do grow them.... your roses are beautiful.

Flowersun

o
astilbez6a

Hey MaryLee,

I just finished getting your box together - never thought I would get to it, I have been busier the past three days than I have all year!!! But I did it and your box will be on it's way to you tomorrow :) Now I just hope everything makes it to you in one piece, I always worry about things not making it alive but you're close to me so it should be okay.

Hope you like everything!!

Wendy
momtoboysjnj

o
Flowersun

Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 20:06

Thank you for the compliment.

I will try to put your box together later this week. This weekend our Highs were in the upper 90's, but Friday our High is only suppose to be 67. Since the box has to travel clear across the country, I thought that "harvesting" baby plants would be best done in cooler temps.

I will let you know when I send it out.

boballi: )

o

Hi Wendy,
Gosh your quick! I can't wait to be surprised!
This is so exciting!
And I so know what you mean by being busy, where do the days go? I haven't even started on Moonphase's box yet (don't worry though Moonphase, I'm going to get it ready to send out Wednesday.LOL)
The pictures are great! I'm going to learn how to do that one of these days.LOL...
Hope everyone is enjoying the evening!...Marylee

o
My yard

Amy - I will mail your box out next Monday. I work during the day and my kids have activities today through Thursday (they keep me busy)...Don't want to mail on a weekend...afraid they'll die....so I think Monday is a good plan. That will give me the weekend to dig stuff up!

Ok everyone...here's my yard. As you can see, I have a lot of beds to fill!!

My front yard has raised beds on the side of the driveway...nothing in them but a couple of hostas and a couple of ferns...oh, and my Rhododendron!!

Back Yard...up by the building I have daylilies, daffodils and peonies.

Here's another bed beside my building...I just transplanted some tulips and moved a couple of daylilies and daffodils over to it.

Backside of the house - Hosta, honeysuckle...I just ripped out a bunch of weeds.

My new rose garden - no sign of life yet in the roses, but the seeds in the bucket have sprouted and some gladiolous is coming up!

And here are some of my seedlings I started!

o

Oh my gosh! I love all of your pictures. They are so great!

*Bobilli* Thank you for giving me some ideas

*Metdontdo* I love getting stuff too! It is like Christmas almost better because your getting stuff you really want HA HA! Glad my hubby isn't going to be looking on here!

Here are a couple of pictures:

This one is my front flower bed which is so neglected and is my focus currently, it gets the afternoon sun and is super hot during the summer.

This one is my gardening pride ( I got my first radishes today Wahoo!!)

I hope everyone has a great week!

I am finishing up finals I have one tomorrow night and Wednesday night so I will be STUDYING (YUCK)

o
RE: UPDATE: Missmshell

WEll, Missmshell -michelle Your package is on it's way!!! I really hope you enjoy what I picked out for you (crossing fingers)It's really hard to stop filling a flat rate box!!! I had a hard time deciding what to put in and what not to!!!

o
Seashell

Great Pics seashellspcola!! You've got a nice variety in your front garden, and your veggie garden is AWESOME!!! You have every right to be proud of that!!!!!

o

Vela and Michelle

I love the pictures of your yard- Vela reminds me of when I lived up that way Michelle your garden is amazing!

Amy in MS

o

ok tena, yours goes out tomarrow, it's full!! in the "purple" package, you'll know, open the little package carefully, i just got blueberry seeds today and ran out of little baggies. so i improvised. Lol i'm good at that. there's one thing that has three of the "same", i'm pretty sure they're different breeds. well at least one i think is different. i didn't write the letter cuz i totally ran out of room. and o my melanie, i like your front flower bed, thats pretty. i'm anxious to see your roses vela and the glads. i haven't put my hollyhocks out cuz i'm kinda scared they'll die. Lol i just added a few more pics to my album.

o

Tue, May 1, 07 at 0:34

seashellspcola*
Please don't feel limited to the colors and/or plants that I stated earlier. I have other beds, too. Those are just the ones that I am focusing on currently.

I know what you mean about areas that are sunny and hot. My Red/Yellow/White beds have some sunny and hot areas, also. Were those Birds of Paridise in your picture? If they are, you may want to check and see if they are dwarf or standard sized...Standard BoP can get huge.

Your vegetable garden is fantastic. I started mine late and it is no where near yours...I'm jealous. LOL

vela*
Thanks for the updated pictures. I used a single layer of landscape timbers to build my "raised" vegetable garden. They are working (so far) as a visual barier for the kids...I don't need them compacting the soil that I worked so hard to loosen up.

boballi :)

o

i found a resizing button on the pic (photobucket), i want my garden to look like that!!!! boballi, are you taking more pics? i wanna see the other beds, please. does anyone know if we can get hawaii'n fruit seeds her? i want to grow some of it. i know its crazy, Lol

o

seashellspcola, I'm sorry I don't have painted daiies :-( I am working on your box, hoping for Wed shipping but not promising! It might be Monday.

poisondartfrog, I'm sure I will enjoy whatever you send :-)

VG

o

OOPS, Sorry Moonphase I'm waiting on a plant order, it may be Monday before I can send your box,
but I will try to make it worth your wait.LOL
Everyones pictures are just so nice!
Seashellspcola - your vegetable garden is just wonderful - so neat!
Vela - nice yard! your seedlings look fantastic! Most of mine froze.(boohoo)
Well, got to go, you all enjoy your day!...Marylee

o

Ok here are some pictures

i don't know how to link them in here so I just provided a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardens

o

Okay BusyLizzy I just mailed your box. I really wanted to send it overnight but it would have cost $26.00!! So, I hope and pray everything stays alive and undamaged.

Diene: I am excited and will let you know when I recieve the box!!

o

that's a pretty tree, redwood? i like the gardens, i've been gonna work on ours, but oh this depresion stuff is a kick in the butt and when you finally realize that its back, too late, Lol meds readjusted or something. so i'm lucky i have the greatest little helpers in the whole wide world!! :'> they are awesome! and tabor is a born thinker/gardner/builder, its in the jeans, Lol. today is one of those day's, and it's supposed to rain, it looks like it's gonna, but it hasn't yet, so i planted my hollyhocks out. they were gonna die in here, i accidently sprayed my vinegar mix on them instead of water. oops!! so i doused em in water, they look better. i have picassa too, its way filled up!! LOL

o

lol no redwood is the giant trees in washington, maybe you meant redbud, but no it's not, i'm actually not sure what it is, it has red leaves all the time. Ya it looked like it was going to raid today and i think the forecast was for thunderstorms but it's all cleared up for now and nothing has happened yet.

o

yep, that's what i meant, bud, Lol i think that tree looks like mine, the one by your garage. w purple blooms. i wished mine smelled. my lilacs got froze in the freeze. i'm so sad about that. i got my seeds from kizzy today, i'm so happy about that!! it's a roller coaster!! Lol lester will give me a cow panel to use like he did for my arch, the one that my honeysuckle is growing on, i think i'm gonna put the datura's on that. but i gotta put a fence around them so kids won't mess with them. i got castor beans in and seen them on google, oh my, so pretty!! i know, toxic and the bean, but eventually i want all the colors!! they are all pretty!! it only sprinkles off and on, i'm kinda glad it only does that though. Lol

o
Redbud

Hey burbaq & medontdo, There is a red leafed Redbud called 'Forest Pansy' could that be it? I've included a link. Una

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Pansy

o

maybe that forest pansy is it, that is what it looks like, Ya we trimmed down that lilac bush by the house, but in the garden there is another :). They are very fragrant.

o
More Photos

Tue, May 1, 07 at 19:01

I hope I have resized these correctly!

Almost nine month old Ruby:

Almost nine month old Roxy:

My front yard:

My side yard:

Violet/Yellow/White Bed:

Violet/Yellow/White Bed Cont.

Roses in a Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Close-up of 'Bolero' Rose in Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Hot Area of Red/White/Yellow Bed:

Japanese Maple & Unknown Ferns:

Pink/Purple/White Bed:

Vegetable Garden Overview:

Baby Fruit Trees and Vegetable Garden:

As you can see, I'm just getting started with this landscape overhaul and some of my beds are quite bare. I still have stumps and and a ton of overgrowth to remove (not seen in pictures). But, as I said before, I'm just started!

o

ok i was looking at a lilac bush, Lol hmmm can't blame it on anything, darned. Lol didn't rain today. so i can prune my lilac bush back? i trim the other stuff down to about 3-4 inches in the fall, well one time since we been here. i liked how it came back the next year!! oh so pretty! and the honeysuckle smell so good! i would love to have them by our bedroom window, at night we could sleep smelling them. Lol and with melanies jasmine, oh my! i've never grown gardenia but i'm so anxious! lester's helping me with the cuttings, Lol he just laughed. :') i want to plant something fragrant in the "front" by our new porch w no door. Yet. Lol we're gonna put a french doors on the spot, that will be so pretty. i'm anxous for that too!! i think this year i'm gonna winter sow and then do like vela, i like that! lol but does anyone in here winter sow??

o

oh my that is beautiful!! do they smell pretty? they sure do look pretty!! `your fruit trees are pretty! and i like how your garden is set up. my grape vine's have finally got growth on them. Yay! now i'm waiting on my strawberry tree to get some growth on it to know that it's gonna make it. talla was kissing the screen, she said awww, i want that puppy!! Lol, kids are so cute. i love the design of how your house is the slanted roof. i don't think i've seen many here, my susie (step mom) is into mexican look on stuff. the lizzards and peppers and all that. just cute!!

o

burbaq & boballi your yards are beautiful. I'm sooooo jealous. Next year it'll be better though! I keep plugging away planting more and more every day. Now that I have a new fence I'm looking at wrought iron trellises and stuff to put in front of it. Hubby just asked what I want for mothers day!! I can't decide if its a tree peony or a 6' wide wrought iron trellis that has hanging baskets on it.
I think I'll have the hubby slap together sone bird houses to mount on top of the posts so the the wrens and chickadees can get the heck out of my eaves!!

o

Okay, you all shamed me into this, I went to Photobucket and downloaded pictures from today. The sun is finally shining. There is not much to see in my gardens as they are still waking up from winter but you will see the layout. I also have pictures from my stained glass class I am taking. I am making a garden bench and tonight I put it in the form, they will pour concrete in it tomorrow. It will be lots of fun to have. I am thoroughly enjoying this class.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/readytopour.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/shadysideofhouse.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/newgarden2.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/newgarden.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/House.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/lastyearsgarden.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/mailbox.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/formforbench.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/gardenbenchinprogress.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/frontyardleft.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/diene_photos/frontyardright.jpg
Man that was alot of work but here are my pictures. Hope everyone is well. diene

Here is a link that might be useful: backyard

o
Nice!

Very nice Diene!!! Can't wait to see it all in bloom and that garden bench is going to look GREAT!!!!!!!

o

Okay Vegangirl. The confirmation number for your box is 420 24363 9101 0385 5574 9137 3672 40.
Better get your shovel out! Alana

o

o that is so pretty!! i can't wait to see the bench! i'm really interested in that. your yard looks so amazing. and o my, that space!!! Lol those gardens are so pretty!!! i can't wait to see everybody's stuff in bloom also!! can't wait to see everyone elses yards! everyone's is so beautifull!! and tena you have so much space and you can do alot with yours, like me, LOL i got so much to do, my poor peonies have been moved 2 times in the past 2 years cuz i can't make up my mind where i want them to go. i didn't want the garden, this year i did, do. and i forgot where i planted everything. LOL my markers got washed off. a couple of years ago a big freeze storm took out my pecan tree, well the next spring all these twigs came up and i left it alone, and let it go to a bush, oh my so pretty!! i kinda wanta do that with our 2 fallen dogwood tree's. same storm.

o
Wow... miss a day or two...

And you can be lost! I love everyone's gardens, those that are works in progress, and those that are flourishing. I saw a few things growing in Boballi's garden that I have not had luck with.... I think one was fuschia... I'm going to see if I can post a picture here of my Jason Salter Daylily - it is the only one I have and a first year for itPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
a further update on my garden

The Jason Salter was a nice surprise for me. I need to clarify it is not the only daylily I have, it is the only one of that kind that I have. Ha ha... I realized after I posted. I'm making two daylily areas in my gardens and I've just fallen in love with daylilies. I have both named and un-named daylilies... doesn't much matter to me. I just love them.

o

that is a colorful daylily :)

o
Irene_kemmel & pests in garden

Hi Irene your package is going out the door today! It's a beautiful sunny day, low 70's. I have to figure out who's getting into my new raised beds and if any seeds were disturbed. I think it's the neighbors cat, mine stays inside. I'm thinking of just wrapping some netting around the beds, attached to stakes at the corners, until the seedlings emerge. Any other thoughts? Una

o

Una, my mom had several neighborhood cats getting in her flower beds EVERYNIGHT. She put mothballs in an aluminum can with holes poked all over it. The cats have not been back! They must hate the smell. Cheap thing to try anyway. They were really messing up her just emerging plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here