Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_under_my_nails

new: mnf may: picnic basket getaway

The birds are singing!! The sun is shining!

ItÂs must be time for a Picnic Basket Getaway!!!

REQUIREMENTS:

1.Your basket/getaway should include at least 5 healthy plants. At least 3 of them MUST be food named plants!!

A few examples of food named plants...ÂPeach Candy Daylily, ÂHot Cocoa Rose, ÂGuacamole Hosta, Strawberries & Cream BrugmansiaÂ..I think you get the idea!!

1. You should also include something edible so your basket winner can keep up their strength to plant the flowers!

3.You will be choosing which basket you want once ALL are listed. It CAN be stolen from you!!! More on this later!!!

4.. All boxes must be mailed PRIORITY with Delivery Confirmation Number by the 19th!!

5.Sign ups are now till the 9th.When you sign up post your basket/getaway!!

Have FUN!!!

Since the weather is now warm...Let's try to send lots of PLANTS rather than trinkets.We'll save that stuff for the cold months!!!

later....April/dirt_under_my_nails

Comments (46)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my basket/getaway....

The van is packed & kids are all loaded in...We are headed to the lake for some fishing!!!On the way we listen to the oldies station on the radio. Great songs like 'Route 66'(daylily)& 'Good Vibrations'(iris)seem to put everyone in a great mood.
    The road took us right past the 'Candy Factory'(daylily),so of course everyone was wanting candy!! No candy in my bag,they had to settle for a stick of 'Juicy Fruit'(iris).

Arrive at the fishing hole & everyone is thirsty!! I break out the 'Iced Hazelnut'(mint)& 'Lemon Balm'(balm) teas.Of course they are hungry too so the 'Assorted Treats'from the picnic basket are also consumed.

Everyone gets down to fishing and no one catches ANYTHING.It seems that right down the bank a little girl named 'Jean Marie'(iris) jumped in the lake and scared off all the fish.
    Once back home me & hubby enjoyed '2 Daily's Freeze & Serve Margaritas'while savoring the fragrance from the 'Noid Peach'(brugmansia) blooms.

later...April

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

OOOOHHHHH! I want to sign up! But its gonna take some thinking...vina

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Put me down as a lurker. I need to see how finals go before I can commit to anything, but it looks like a fun swap.
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I will lurk also...I'm finding out Tuesday if my Mom will need back surgery. If she does, I'll be going to Altoona to take care of her off and on.

Good news today...my grandbaby is going to be a GIRL! She's due in Septmeber!

• veeja11
    13 years ago

For the moment I am in the bushes with Linda lil baby girls are so much fun congrats miss Linda

• smitties
    13 years ago

I am going to join the lurkers for now. I can only think of two plants I have that are food named. I need to survey my gardens and let you know. Margo

Congrats Linda, super news on the baby. I am waiting for my first grand nephew to be born. He is due on May 2nd. My niece is getting so impatient but I warned her boys in our family tend to be late. Her dad has been saying for a couple months that she won't make it that long and she will be early so the poor thing was believing it. Babies come when they want to, not when you want them too. Right all you moms out there?

Raining here. I did get out to a nursery with my 40% off coupon and was excited to get a Hot papaya coneflower for $8.00. Unfortunately, it won't be ready for sharing in this swap.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all....Here's my picnic.......

My picnic takes place in a hot air balloon ride. We flew as high as a falcon (Iris: Falcon's Pride). Going so quickly I looked down and saw the sea (Splendens: Sea Pink) and finally land. I didn't realize where we were until I saw large herds of zebra (I.Padilla Zebra Iris: Variegated Green & White) running across the Savannah.
    Being it such a long ride I began to get hungry. So I opened my picnic basket and took out a dish of delicious black raspberries (Black Raspberry Vine) and pealed and orange (Orange Oriental Lilies). Getting thirsty I opened my bottle of iced-tea with mint (Spearmint). Thinking it needed a little something I added a slice of lemon (Lemon Balm). Being so full I decided to doze.
    Before I knew it we were touching back down at my home. Fully rested and I settled down on my front porch swing to reminisce about my day. Sitting in the darkness I truly felt like the queen of the night (Iris: Queen of the Night).

I hope I did this right? :0)
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vina~ Good Job!

Linda~Congrats on the girl grandbaby. What day in Sept? My oldest will be 10 on Sept 19th.

Picnic Packers:
    Vina
    April

Lurkers:
    Laura
    Linda
    Carol
    Margo

later...April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope everyone has had a great day . Still learning how to use this new computer. Not use to the speed!! LOL!!

If it would help, we can drop the food named plants down to 2....Seems we have alot of lurkers this time around.

Linda ~ Hoping everything turned out good with your Mom's Dr visit!!

later.....April

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey everyone!
    It's Friday!! :0)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All! There doesn't seem to be much of an interest so I think I'll cancel this swap if there are no other sign ups over the weekend.Maybe I made it too complicated? If anyone has any other ideas for MNF May swap feel free to post.....

later....April

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Whatever you want to do April, just let me know. :0)
    Thanks!
    vina

• chellflower
    13 years ago

I would like to join!
    I'll post my basket/getaway tonight afterwork.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Chellflower!! There might be hope for this swap after all!! Who else is game?

Picnic Packers:
    Chellflower
    Vina
    April

Lurkers:
    Laura
    Linda
    Carol
    Margo

later...April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

April, I'm in! My getaway begins in the cold regions of Alaska (shasta daisy) with the decision to find some warmer climes. After much deliberation, we travel through Oregan(o), munching on parsley as a healthy snack food, and catch an airplane to the continent of Africa, having decided a safari is just what we need to warm up! There in the depths of the Congo, surrounded by butterflies (butterfly ginger roots), we see a lion's tail (mother wort) sticking out of some shrubbery. Knowing that there is a lion on the other end of that tail, we run, fly, and drive our way home, knowing that our friend Sweet William will be there, waiting to welcome us home.
    So, having said all that, my basket will include, but not be limited to, Shasta Daisy Alaska, oregana, curly-leafed parsley, butterfly ginger tubers, mother wort, and a mix of sweet william. I'll throw some pineapple mint in there too.

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YAY!! Dan's in!!

Picnic Packers:
    Dan
    Chellflower
    Vina
    April

Lurkers:
    Laura
    Linda
    Carol
    Margo

later...April

• chellflower
    13 years ago

We pack our picnic basket (Basket Plant/Callisia fragrans) and head to the lake. Once there we enjoy dipping our feet in the cool water while snacking on figs (Celeste Fig cuttings) and oranges (Orange Daylillies). After a long day of swimming we head home. There's a nice cool breeze (Windmill Palm) outside so we spend the evening sitting in the yard together listening to the frogs croaking among the plantains (Hostas). After awhile we hear thunder in the distance and notice the sky has gotten cloudy so we go inside....I can only hope that we get at least an inch (Inch Plant/Tradescantia) of rainfall overnight so that I don't have to water the gardens this week.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Afternoon ALl!!

The baskets are really creative!! We STILL need a few more players though....(begging on hands & knees!!)

We are headed over to a friend's for a belated birthday gathring. The weather can't decide if it wants to be sunny or blah!Hope eveyone has a great evening.

later...April

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Just popping in to say "Hello" and see what everyone is up to. My exams are almost over so we'll see how that goes. How are yall? Have a good day!
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

if I can find a third "food" name in my garden, then I'm in. Mom's surgery is June 3rd so this would help take my mind off things...besides, I love to write stories..."L"

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Linda, go ahead and join in anyway. I'd like to see what kind of story you write with the plants you'll send... >
    Speaking of stories, you wouldn't happen to have anymore to continue the revolutionary war ones, would you? Those were my favorite!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda~ I dropped it down to 2 earlier. Seems food names aren't as popular as I thought!! Take us away.....

later...April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

AWESOME!! I'm in! Just give me a day or two to write up my story..lotta confusion going on at the moment.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I decided to take a short vacation jaunt with my friend Rose, of Sharon, Pa (rose of Sharon). We packed up our picnic basket and headed off to New Orleans. We needed to arrive at the Shady Cat Jazz Club by 4 oÂclock (four oÂclockÂs) to hear our old pal Dusty Miller (dusty miller) play the blues on his trusty battered trumpet (trumpet vine). As we got closer to our destination, Rose started having cats and kittens fits (hens and chicks) because she thought she forgot the pineapple (pineapple sage) upside down cake. I told her it was safely packed beside the poppy seed (poppies) cake that I had brought. When we arrived the joint was swinging and Dusty was rocking the place. I decided to have a big old fashioned chocolate ice cream cone (coneflower) while we were waiting for him to complete his set. He was delighted to see us and excited that we made the trip. We stuffed him full of cake, gave lots of hugs and well wishes. We headed back singing old bluesy songs all the way home while admiring the snow on the mountain (snow on the mountain)in the distance.

My basket will include: Rose of Sharon, 4 oÂclock, trumpet vine start, dusty miller, henÂs and chicks, pineapple sage, coneflower, poppies, snow on the mountain

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HOORAY...I got to move Linda from the lurkers to the packers!! Good trip Linda.

Who else is wanting to join in? You have till Sunday!!! The more that join the more interesting the stealing of the baskets will be.

Picnic Packers:
    Linda
    Dan
    Chellflower
    Vina
    April

Lurkers:
    Laura
    Carol
    Margo

later...April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

when does the basket-stealing start? I've been called Yogi plenty of times...hehehe!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan~ the stealing will start on Monday.

later...April

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Darn, this looks to be lots of fun but since we are starting our flower business out of my friends garage, we got a peddlers license and are going to sell mothers day arrangements on the main hwy thru town boy does the government ream you, gotta have a 1000 dollar surety bond at 50.00 a peddlers license 30.00 a building use permit for the land use for the stand 200.00. they sure get their cut, business license 50.00. no wonder their aren't many people peddling gonna be working my behind off so can't do justice to a swap hopefully next month. why don't I have the good sense to stay retired ?dumb carol

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Carol, wouldn't it have been cheaper to call it a floral yard sale and hold it all summer long? You're gonna have to make over $1300 just to pay the start up costs! Ouch!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Wow! Carol! There are quite a few people that have stands right out in there front yard around here all summer long. They sell veggies, plants and all kinds of garden things all summer. And I can guarantee they don't have ANY kind of license at all. $1,300 wow! I am crossing my fingers and toes for you...:0) I just love the entrepreneurial spirit :0)

Have a great Wednesday everyone!! 83 today and SUNNY :0)
    vina

• w9yards
    13 years ago

This sounds like a lot of fun, but I am going to have to sit out this month. My youngest is graduating from college so we have a lot of traveling and partying to do. She is not moving home to California, but staying on the East coast to work so we have to move her too! I'll see what fun you're up to next month.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol~ Best of luck for this weekend.Hope you sell out!!

W9yards~ visit when you can. Congrats to your youngest!!

How is eveyone this afternoon? It's hot as Hades today!! Think they said 88. Really wish we had a spring that lasted longer than a week here in the sunny south.

My in-laws from MI are coming in on Sat & staying till the following Sunday.8 days total.I'll be busy spiffing up the house for the next day or 2. I sometimes resent all the work that goes into famliy visits.

There is STILL time to sign up for this months swap if anyone is interested.It's going to be loads of fun & imagine all the new plants for your yard!!!

later...April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

okay today it's supposed to get up to 81 degrees. The high for tomorrow is 51 degrees...can we say weird weather???

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

How's this for weird weather...yesterday 75, today 60, and by Sunday SNOW!! YUP! Snow on Mother's Day...where am I?? Crazy Town :0)

I hope my iris' and pretty much everything else will be okay? The one's I got last year are starting to bud but aren't ready to open for another week. I haven't even seen them flower yet! I am crossing my fingers they'll all pull through.

Have a great weekend everyone and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!
    vina

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Hi everybody, Just droping by to say "HI". It's been a long time since I posted. It's been a heck of a few months, deaths in the family lots of travel to funerals and so on.
    I hope that I can enjoy a few peaceful moments now that it all has kind of settled a little.

My gardens are doin wonderful after all that freeze we had I thought I had lost it all, because we don't generaly get freezing temps for a full month. But it seems to be cominng back just fine. (most of it anyway)

Well I do have to come up with a theme for July.
    I think I want to do "Christmas in July" because I won't really have time to do a 4th of July theme.

Anywhooo, I hope you are all well enjoying your great weather.

Hugs, Carmen

• adopt_greyhounds
    13 years ago

I've been lurking... :) not much in my garden that has a food name. Plus we're getting snow here too! Hope it all survives, my roses are just about to bloom! We'll see...I feel your pain flowergirl34! Good luck to your plants pulling through!
    -amanda

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok.....you lurkers still have over 24 hours to sign up!!! You know you want to!!!

FYI~Brooke(my 3 year old) will be drawing the picking order. Wonder who will start us off with the basket stealing on Mon morning? Look for a new thread posting the baskets in one post on Mon too.

So what's ya'lls big plans for Mother's Day? My day will be kitchen duty free. Hoping to spend time in the gardens also.

Anyone else a Home Depot Garden Member? They emailed me a buy 1 get 1 free rose bush coupon. Plus they are on sale this weekend too. They may not have a pedigree,but they still smell good!!

Amanda~Snow!! Hard to imagine...it's still 78 or more out there right now.

Carmen~ good to see ya. Hope everything improves for your family.

Picnic Packers:
    Linda
    Dan
    Chellflower
    Vina
    April

later....April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

okay that's it..I'm getting out by "beating the bushes" stick for all you lurkers!.."smacking a bush and hearing a yelp"..LOL!

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

LINDA!!! That was ME you hit!!! Ouch! ***Limping out of the bushes...***

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan...uh...why where YOU hiding in the bushes? Or does Linda just have bad aim? LOL!!

Today is the LAST day to sign up !!!!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

later..April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

hee hee! I knew he was in there,...c'mon everyone, it's going to be fun!

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

April, do you REALLY want to know??? hehehe

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No Dan...I don't think I do...but thanks anyway!! LOL!!

later...April

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

I want to know why you were in there, Dan! *snickers*
    ~Laura

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Well y'all, for the benefit of April, and really only because she's our host, I'm not going to say why I was in the bushes. Nor am I going to say which one of you was in there with me...

hehehe

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PLEASE GO TO THREAD # 2!!!

Later...April