Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners**April**

Posted by micyrey 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 10:52

Hello
It is spring and time to look around our gardens and see what we have to share.

spring

lets all try to send our partners a big (well as big as you can afford) box or plants this month. don't forget to check their lists and see what they might want.

please ship by april 25th and don't forget to post that you sent and receved so we can keep track.

Happy Spring everyone
michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners**April**

hello
all the partners, address and e-mails have been sent for this month, so if you did not get it please let us know right away so we can get it to you.
have a great day
michelle

o

Whoo hoo! A new swap and I just got my partner! I was about to go outside and take some pictures when the sky opened up and poured! Yay! It is raining! We have had rain three days in a row here!! We need this rain so badly here.
Happy Spring!

o

Happy April 1st!

Hopefully everyone has received an invite to our new chat room. I've never seen so many of us in the chat room at the same time. It was great!!! I was able to chat with Huong/hmle2217 too today. She has a wonderful veggie garden in the works.

I'm going to wade through the mud this week and see what's popping up. It'll be so nice to be able to send my partner plants.

Have a great evening,
Mariann

o

I'm afraid the only plants I will be able to send are ones I've started from seed, and bulbs/tubers that I have purchased. My garden has nothing right now that can be divided, so I hope my partner won't mind!

I too am so excited that so many of us were in the chat room today! It is such a great way to get to know eachother!

o

Becki, I am in the same boat as you. I have seeds started but not much is popping yet. All my winter sown containers are just starting to show signs of germination and my indoor sown annuals have plenty of sprouts. I hope to have some plants to mail close to the end of the month if my partner is willing to wait a bit for some mature live plants that are in my beds.

It warmed up to 60 today so I finally got a chance to inspect my flower beds for the first time this spring. I have some crocuses that are starting to open! I was so happy to see there little purple faces. I need it to dry up a lot so I can get the leaf blower out and round up all the late dropping oak leaves.

I popped into the chat room this afternoon for a few minutes but seemed to have missed everyone! Maybe next time.

Tracy

o

I am so happy to be sending out plants, so much fun to dig and divide, if it will just dry out some. This will be fun, seeds are fun but plants are so much more exciting!
Hoping every one see some sun this week!
Tammy

o

hello
I was not able to be in the chat room as much as wanted, I had another migraine, and was in bed most of the day.

please don't worry if your gardens are new, and you don't have many plants to share. please send what you can, this is the first year I will have much to devide. the only reason I have as much as I do is from the generosity of others when I had very little.

sassyd - witch address should your partner send plants too, the PO box or street address?

I rilly need to get out and plant my sweetpeas tomarrow.. oops it is tomarrow, didn't sleep well.

see you all later
michelle

o

Huong - Wow! I just visited your blog page and cudo's to you! You are doing an amazing job with starting seedlings, mine aren't even close. I recieved an African Violet from Debbya about 4 months or so ago and it is the only one that I have ever had that is doing well and hasn't died within a couple days! Your post on rooting suckers I saved and hope to get some to try, then share :)I just ordered 2 that are varigated - can't wait to see them.

I have LOTS of bulbs peeking through the snow here and hoping to have a few to share by the end of the month. We are having a weird spring - much more snow than usual and NO rain... I have been watering a little but it has been so cold it is hard to make myself stay out and hold the hose when I can't feel my finger's.

See what we got for a last Easter gift:
Pearl 10 weeks

Her name is Pearl and she is a black lab, a true Gem of a puppy! Although my old Border Collie and the cats don't seem to think so. Hehehehe We didn't need her and I wasn't looking for another dog but she was in need of a home and everyone here know's that I can't say "No". She is 10 weeks, quite small and spoiled already. I can't seem to keep her out of my Lazy Boy and her other favorite spot is my warm water bed! I may have to purchase one of each for her so that I can have room for me when she start's growing! Pearl is smart and learning all kinds of stuff - already retrieving slippers - when we don't need them or are wearing them - then hides them when she gets in trouble, for later chewing pleasures. The only things she really likes to chew on is leather items - I gave her one of my old cowboy boot's but she likes a variety of flavor's I guess. I am going to try taping a jerky stick in the bottom of the boot and see if that keeps her interested in the right stuff...

Happy Wednesday!
Marie

o

HI Everyone,
I got to go plant shopping today! YIPEE! i bought a few little herbs and veges, not too much really considering all the eye candy that was out there. I have lots of seedlings coming up that need pots and spots, so I didn't feel like I could buy too much. Anyway, hopefully soon I will have some goodies to share.

Marie, Pearl is awesome... We got one of those last spring and he sure has made our lives fun. ( even though the cat and dog and birds think we shouldn't have done it. LOL)

It was fun being in the chat room yesterday. I loved being able to talk to everyone. It is so nice getting to know everyone and for those of you who are still snowed in, I will pray for warm weather for you. I think I would be a lunatic if I couldn't get out and plant yet.........

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and let you all know I have lots of morning glory seeds and some others leftover from my spring planting, If anyone wants them, just email me.
Hope everyone is having a great week, Linda

o

Marie/wynative, Thanks for the compliments. I've only been gardening for two years now and am happy with the progress. I love African violets and I hope to have more to share soon. AVs love their roots to be in tight spaces and loads of light. I put mine under a grow light my DH built me. Good luck with yours!

Your puppy is adorable. My husband and I want to get a yellow lab when we buy our first house. She looks so friendly and kind!

Mariann, it was really nice chatting with you. I hope to be sending you some bok choi and swiss chard seeds soon!

I went plant/seed shopping yesterday too. I got some herbs (sage and English thyme); they were only $1.50 per pot! and some packets of seeds for my April partner. The weather has been super nice here in California (high 60s). I'm going to go out and see how my veggies are doing! Talk to yal soon! For more, check out my blog at: http://www.apartmentgarden.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o

Marie, your little Pearl is adorable! I just love the black labs. She looks so sweet sitting there! I grew up with dogs and miss having them. Our first was a border collie named Cookie. She was so smart and protective of us kids. She would always keep an eye on us and if we wandered toward the front yard she would rat us out by barking at us and trying to push us back where we belonged, Mom would yell at us out the kitchen window after she heard the barking. I never felt so much like a sheep before that! lol! They are amazing little friends.

o

Marie I LOVE lil Pearl, she looks sooo adorable!!! Give her a big snuggles for me!!!! I know she will be spoiled rotten she is sooo cute!!!!

Michelle, here's some pics I know you will like. Do you know how hard it is to take a pic of a Butterfly dancing around in your garden???? I finally got a good pic of it on my Butterfly Weed.

Monarch

Monarch 2

I just love Spring and Summer!!!!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

hello
pixi - I know what you mean it took me days to get this one of a Buckeye

buckeye

here is my robins nest, note that they chose to build on the roof instead of in the shelf.

Photobucket

well I guess to each their own.

we also have at least 6 sparrow and finch nests in the yard. and I think some cardinals are nesting in our large maple.

well see ya all later
michelle

o

OHHH Michelle!!! That Buckeye is beautiful!!!! I want tons of different butterflies in my gardens!!!

I am laughing at the nest on top, my lil birdie is just patiently mothering her 4 eggs. I am anxious for lil birdies so I can be sure she is also lol. We have a family of cardinals that roost in the juniper trees along the back fence, I just love their chirps.

o

I sent my package out to Marie/wynative today. The confirmation number is: 0307 1790 0002 5250 1990. I rode my bike to the post office and I got two compliments from two customers in line for my attempt to save gas/the world. I couldn't figure out how they knew I rode my bike until I looked down and saw I was holding my bike helmet! It felt like I was holding my purse. LOL. Nonetheless, it was a nice, enjoyable ride and I was safe with my trusty helmet!

micyrey, that's a lovely picture of a buckeye. I never get any butterflies in my garden...or any I know of. I guess I'll have to plant more flowers to attract them.

I put more pictures of my garden on my blog, Apartment Garden. Check it out yal! Happy gardening everyone!

o

Marie-Your new puppy, Pearl, is adorable. Labs make such great pets. We had a chocolate lab and she was the sweetest dog.

Linda-I can't believe you are shopping for plants already. We won't be seeing anything in the garden centers for weeks yet.

Huong-I see you are shopping for plants too. You girls are making me jealous. LOL

Tracy-It's great to see you post as our newest member. I'm so happy to have you with us.

Michelle-I've never seen a Buckeye butterfly. That's a great photo.

These pics are from last summer:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Red Spotted Purple (Michelle ID'ed the B'fly for me)
Red Spotted Purple
Have a great day everyone,
Mariann

o

Girls, those are GORGEOUS butterflies! I especially love the Red Spotted Purple! I hope I get some beauties this year! But if not, it's sure fun seeing the ones you all get!!
Becki

o

good morning everyone
I'm back with more picks, some did not load last night.
anther of the robin nest

Photobucket

for becky - my screens over the seeds I put out in pots, so the birds don't get the seeds.

Photobucket

once the seeds germinate I move the screens and use them elcewhere

a bad pick of my new garden site, this is as before as you can get. all I did was walk out the area I wanted and marked it with stacks of tires, I think you can just make it out. and the back end of my truck. this is what I call freedom, I just love going out and relaxing with no one for miles, well it feels that way about 1/4 mile away there is a nice farm family, they raise cattle.

Photobucket

I was mopping the kitchen floor this morning and happen to look at an old orchid, I had asked my MIL if I could have it to try and get it to bloom. but I never got around to doing anything with it, I stuck it under a nobal pine left from christmas and watered it maybe once a month(if that)
now look

Photobucket

I just can't beleve it, only one bud but that was more than I ever expected

well off I go again, I need to get the boys ready, I'll be signing Timmy up for Kindergarden today.

see ya later
michelle

ps sorry some of the picks would not shrink.

o

I love the butterfly's! The Spotted Purple one is beautiful - still to cold here for me to have any but I did hear & see a Meadowlark a couple of days ago. It was sitting on a post and singing his heart out! Love those birds - here in Wyoming when you see/hear one it means spring has arrived! Weather permitting - I am going to work outside this weekend. I need to see what bulbs I can find to send for my swap.

I took this of a couple tree lily's Saturday morning - 3/29
Tree Lily's - brrrrr
Yes, still snowing but it melts withing a day or so.

Thanks for ooohing & aaaahing over Pearl! I have a pond by my house that a variety of wild birds use. Canadian & Snow Geese, Sea Gulls, Cranes and Pelicans are on it right now. I took pics of the Gulls & Snows this morning - I let Pearl out to potty and she got very excited when she barked and they took flight! I will post them later as they aren't down loaded yet but here is one of some Canadians.
Canadian Geese on pond
I am going to try to get some of the Crane's & Pelicans and will post them to.

Have a great weekend!
Marie

o

Mariann all your butterflies are soo beautiful!!! Thank ya'll for getting me started on butterflies for my garden!!!

Michelle, I love the place that your garden will be in. The screen is a great idea for keeping birds out of your seeds. I still crack up over the bird nest on top lol. The orchid is amazing, I never have luck with them you did great!!

Marie, we live in the wetlands here so get to enjoy the Canadians and Snows during their migration times and alot of other birds but I never can get enough of them! I love just sitting and watching them. They are amazing, I am soo envious that you have them in a pond so close to your house! I can just imagine lil Pearl's reaction to seeing them take flight lol.

Monarch Cat

Monarch cats

I took these pictures this morning of another Butterfly Weed in my garden that has tons of Monarch Catapillars (sp) on it. Arent they soo cute???

o

hello
what a hugh pond, the one out at my in-laws is much smaller. we have been seeing the pellicans on their migration for the last few weeks, they are so neat. living so close to the water your puppy will never be dry. we had a lab and she would see ducks in the river(mississippi) and she would not think just start after them, sometimes I was scared she would just keep swimming till she got to misouri.

pixi - what great cats, I can't wait for mine.

se ya later
michelle

o

Hi!

It is 55 degrees out, suppose to reach 60, and I just came in from a quick inspection of my front flower bed. My sub. phlox is looking good, and under the fall leaves I am finding some GREEN!! (in some places, ice) Anyway, that just made my day. I wish I could get out and do some work in my flower beds, but I think I better just leave the leaves in place for a bit longer. Sunday is suppose to be back in the 30's. :( But just for that day. I don't know how long my neck will hold up for me either. Still waiting on that darn DR. for some news. grrrrr.

Well, y'all have a great day! I love the butterfly pics by the way. Wish we had the red spotted purples here! I enjoyed the Monarch cats in my butterfly weed last summer and hope to see them back this summer. Marie- I saw some of those Tree Lilys in a magazine this spring, and I'm a thinking I'm going to have to buy myself some!! How tall do yours get?

Karen

o

Karen - I don't know how tall the tree lily's will get this year as I only planting them last fall. They are suppose to get over 5 foot and thicker each year but with the chilly winters maybe just about 4 foot.

Marie

o

He girls! I know I've told some of you about the Father/Daughter Dance that Elizabeth and Dave were going to. I promised pics, so here they are! They just left.

Elizabeth
Please forgive the very messy house!

And here is Elizabeth and Dave - I didn't get a great pic of the both of them, but here is the best.

Elizabeth and Dave

She is so excited!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Becki!!!!!

She is beautiful! What a special night for her! And what a good daddy!!

Hugs girl!
I know your thrilled!
Sassy

o

OHHH Becki she IS beautiful!!! Her and Dave look soo good!! How fun!!! Thank you for sharing them with us. I adore the dress!!!!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Becki, Elizabeth looks so pretty! I love the picture of her hugging Dave. I have never seen a little girl so sweet and happy. Ted is sitting here with me and I showed him Elizabeth's pic with Dave and he said she looks like she is thinking "I love my Daddy so much!"

o

Becki-Elizabeth is adorable. She really does look happy doesn't she. She has the most beautiful eyes. How wonderful that she and her dad will be spending an evening together. Terrific pics!!!
Mariann

o

Thank you so much, Ladies! They had a good time, but came home a bit early, as Elizabeth was getting pretty tired after running around with her friends. They do some dancing, but some running around too! Next Saturday, William and I get to go to Mother Son Bowling, so that is always fun too. These things are for grades K-5, and are put on by a community group that promotes families, and are really nice!

Today, Elizabeth has a cake decorating contest, so we have to get a cake to town by about 9:00 this morning. It's baked and crumb coated, and the frosting is all made and colored, but it's going to be a bit of an ordeal to get it all decorated, so I guess I'd better get her up! Have a great day, everyone!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Becki, How did the cake decorating contest go? I am dying to know! I hope you took pictures!

o

Well, she got 2nd place for theme. We left right after she got that, as Lily was having a hard time behaving, and as we were driving off, I saw the announcer come out the door with a blue ribbon and look around and then go back in. I'm hoping when she goes back Wednesday, we might find out it was for her, but I didn't say anything about it, as I don't want to get her hopes up. I helped her some, and Dave tried to help too, though he mostly just frustrated us. There was no way she could have gotten it done in the time we had this morning, so she definitely needed some help. And she absolutely couldn't write with the frosting, so I did the writing. Anyway, here is a pic. Again, please forgive the terrible mess!!

cake #2
William and Elizabeth both had artwork that was chosen for display in a community art show, and we went for an "Artist's Reception" this afternoon (it's been a busy weekend!) I took pics there too, and I wanted to post them, but on their artwork, it has a label with their first and last name and school, and I'm not comfortable posting that. If I can figure out a way to blur that out I will, but if not, we'll just say I was very proud!

We are doing a bunch of work on our yard - totally reorganizing it. So, tomorrow is going to spent working on that. Oh, and while I was gone this morning, Dave came up with a sign for me, so today we bought some blackboard paint, and I painted that, and hopefully tomorrow, I'll write up my big sign for the first time. We NEED to, as we have about 100 dozen eggs right now, and no outlet. I've advertised on the radio several times, and we haven't gotten any phone calls. Hopefully people might stop as they drive past! I wanted it blackboard, so we can write on it what we have at different times (i.e. preserves, flowers, veggies) When I get it done, I'll post a pic of that too! I'm picture crazy, I guess!!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Congratulations Elizabeth on the cake and the artwork and William for his artwork too! Wow! That cake looks so cute! I love the little girl! She did a great job! I hope she gets the blue ribbon too. You have such talented kids.

I have an idea for your blocking the tag. In your photo editing program you should be able to edit the picture using a different program. In mine (zoombrowser) I can click the button and edit using MS Paint. The picture will appear in the main box and then you can use the paint tools on the left side of the screen. You can add text, shapes, drop color into the shapes, etc. So, if you can edit using Paint on your photo program, make a rectangle shape over the tag, then fill it with the paint bucket to block that section.

o

Congrats Elizabeth and William!!! Becki that is soo Great that they placed! I love the cake, Elizabeth did an awesome job and I also hope that that Blue Ribbon is for her but if not its still great that she placed! Becki please QUIT apologizing (sp) for any mess, your house is not at all a mess it looks very homey!

Well we have FOUR (4) babies (birds) they hatched today, I think, last time I checked on them when "momma" was out there were four lil beaks wide open lol it was soo cute. Momma has been on the nest mostly and today I found out that there is a daddy birdie that helps. Tracy, while fox and I were sittin in the red chairs and momma birdie was sitting in the nest Daddy bird was very consistant on bringing momma bugs. We had to be very still and quiet, which is very hard for me to do but I just watched fox's eyes (after he scolded me about being quiet for 5 minutes) to see where the daddy was (behind me) WHEW that was a very trying time for me. Just hearing the lil daddy's wings behind me and then seeing him hop on the glider then the milk can then up to the nest (after making sure that we weren't going to bother him or move or talk lol) just to hand momma her meal, it was very neat to watch. We can hear the lil babies peeping even when momma is in the nest. I just love it.

Smiles,
Trina

o

Trina, that sound never gets old. Sometimes when I go in the aviary I have to stand so still to get all the other birds quiet so that I can hear the babies in the nest boxes. There is nothing like that sound. Till of course the quakers start talking to you. Then it gets real fun.

Becki, Your daughter is gorgeous! I know she had a great time with her dad and William will have an awesome time bowling with you too.
You have very talented kids. You should be very proud, ( not that you need me to tell ya that right).

The butterfly pictures are wonderful. I am going to spend some time this week learning how to post pictures so that I can show you all some of mine too.
My azaleas and dogwoods have been glorious this spring and my camellias are almost finished. I have a banana shrub that I planted in february and it now has it's first bloom and it smells heavenly!
I potted lots of morning glories today and so I will have hanging baskets everywhere. I was planning to start more seeds this week, but it seems I will be working more with the birds than with the plants. Oh well, I gotta support this habit somehow right?
Anyway, I just wanted to pop in to say Hi. Hope to see you in the chat room. Linda

o

Trina, I bet that was so amazing sitting there watching the little family. I can just imagine how hard it was sitting still and being so quiet! lol! But sooo worth it! I am glad you finally go to see the papa! I just knew he had to be around there somewhere.

o

OK an update on the babies!!!! There are FIVE lil beaks not four!!! I was sooo shocked to see 5 of them wide open waiting on something to eat lol. The nest is soo deep too lol. I have been staying away from the front porch as much as possible and try to remember to look out the glass before I open the door so I don't scare a parent away from feeding them. Yeppers you were right Ducky, I just thought it was a "single" momma bird lol.

MMM the banana shrub sounds soo good Linda, I bet is smells delicious too!

o

hello
and happy monday well we can try to have a happy monday.

we got lots of work done on the butterfly farm this weekend

Photobucket

we put the fence pannels between each set of tires

Photobucket

I'm getting my plants ready for my partner today and I hope to have them in the mail tomarrow.

becki you have such a nice family, but you don't need me to tell you that. I understand having too many eggs, evan with just 7 hens I take 5 or 6 dozen eggs a month to the salvation army shelter..

pixi - wow 5 is a big family to raise, I can't wait till we have little tweeters in the nests.

I saw my butterfly for the year, a red admeral flutter by us wile we were working at the farm.. a good oman I hope for the butterfly farm.
I'll be around later
michelle

o

That is so neat, Michelle! I love what you are doing there!! I told my husband I would be very happy to have some dog kennel panels for climbers, and he thinks he knows where he might be able to get some. One of these days he's going to have to get me, or let me get, SOMETHING for my vines to climb! I plan to have lots of them!!

I have a question for you all. I would love some advice, but if you'd rather not touch it, that's fine. I was hoping someone might be in the chat room, but it's empty. : ( Anyway, here is what happened. We put out our sign for our eggs this morning, and not wanting anyone to stop and then have to leave, we put the price on it. $2.50 for a dozen all-natural free range eggs. Well, the kids have a different bus driver than usual, but will have him for a while, and when he pulled up to drop them off this afternoon, apparantly he said, "Boy those must be golden eggs to be getting that for them!" I don't think he realized that the boys standing right there are the ones that take care of the hens that lay those eggs, but even if he didn't, it offends me. Dylan said he just said, "No, they're not golden." They say they weren't offended, but I am. Do I just let it lie??? My thought is that I write him a note, and just say something to the effect that no, we don't have golden eggs, but our boys and we take very good care of our hens and feed them nothing but expensive certified all-natural food. A lot of time and money are spent on these hens, and we feel that we deserve to get a fair price for that. We have thoroughly checked prices at the local grocery stores, and what we are asking for our eggs is very comparable to what they are getting, especially for the same type of eggs we have. Even just normal eggs - white ones from hens that sit in a little cage all day and probably sit in a warehouse for quite some time cost about $2.00. Anyway, what do y'all think?

o
Nevermind

Oh, well. Hubby says to just leave it alone, so that is what I'll do. I was just a little ticked when the boys told me that. The boys think it would be funny if we took one egg and spray painted it gold, and then put a sign out there that says whoever gets the golden egg in their eggs gets 3 free dozen. If we don't start selling more, we just might do that! I did have someone stop and buy 2 dozen today, so it's a start!!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Hello Becki, the eggs are golden, they are not radiated, your hens are not feed food that contains antibotics and animals that are stress do not produce good food. My son is 12 and has raises chickens and just started an egg route. We made him up a simple flier and he took it to the neighbors and to my husbands shop, we can not keep up with the orders, now he only gets around 9 dozen a week but he could sell more. In fact I must buy eggs from him. He ordered 50 chics that will be arriving in the morning. The sign is a great tool, but it you are in a neighborhood send them around with fliers. Free range eggs at walmarts here was 2.99, your price is fair. As for the bus driver, let him just eat his radiated, antibotic ridden eggs, when they radiate food it kills are the benefical elements of the the egg, milk, meat, juice and so on. If the hen were raise in sanitary conditions they would not have to feed them antibotics.
Let it go, you know you have a good product, just get the info out to as many people you can. Farmers markets are a good source to sell if you have one in the area. To early in most areas, but some go all year around.

o

Thank you so much, thelwig55! I have let it go. I really appreciate your words! I'm glad your son is doing so well!! We do sell at Farmers Market - but that doesn't start until the end of May. I will definitely try bringing around some fliers.

OMG - there's a blue jay right outside my window - that was cool!! He just flew away again, but I got a really good look at him! : )

Have fun with all those chicks!!! Did he get a straight run, or just hens? Sounds like he is doing a great job!!! Thank you again!

Becki

o

pics of my baby birdies....

this one is facing the camera that I zoomed in very large on lol

baby birds 1

This one is when it turned sideways and opened its mouth (eyes are still shut)

baby birds 2

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Becki, He got all hens, he has 50 babies waiting for him when he gets home from school, he will be so excited, they are so cute! Postmaster called this morning, that Patrick had a box that was chirping. Now if they all lives, he is going to have to really expand his route, that will be around 4 dozen eggs a day. It is fun for the kids to have responibilities, he buys his food out of the egg money so he is getting an idea of a small business.

o

WOW Thelwig55 that is awesome!!! I know that makes you such a proud Momma!!! I am loving that "chirping" box!

I am soo envious of ya'll and am still trying to talk fox into letting me get some chickens, he says "your gonna do what you want to anyways, Trina, so why even ask me". Sheesh now that makes me here trying to prove a point to him that I want his "blessing" lol.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

hello all
I got becki's box out today, boy 'o' boy I could not fit one more thing in it, and it was the biggest box I had. sorry it wont be cheeping. when I lived in Calif. I worked at a pet shop for a wile and we would get all our mice, rats, crickets, snakes and lizzards through the mail. I can tell you our delivery lady was always happy to get our packages off her truck.

we will have baby robins soon, the boy has attracted a girl to his nest and I guess she likes it becouse they were.. well.. how should I say it...dirty dancing on top of the chicken yard. ALL DAY yesterday.

I think I can shoo the baby bunnies out of my planter now, they seem to be big enough. if I don't do it right away the mamma will have another batch there and I'll never get to plant.

I would love to get a box that was cheeping but I have all the hens I can handle right now. but I would not say no to a duck. LOL

see ya later
michelle

ps DC# 0306 3030 0001 8900 3451

o

Becki-I agree with Tammy. All natural eggs from free range chickens are priceless.

Tammy-What a rewarding responsibility for your son. He is certainly an entrepreneur.

Michelle-I see you are working hard on the garden.

Trina-How close are you able to get to the nest? I can imagine how much fun you'll have watching the babies grow.

We are suppose to have some sun today. I'm still waiting!! I've been looking around for plants for my partner. Not everything is up yet. Hope to get her box out by the weekend.

Have a great day everyone,
Mariann

o

Tammy - that is awesome! I am really glad to hear how well your son is doing with that! What an intelligent boy he must be!!! Totally awesome!

Wow, Michelle! You are a quick one!! Thank you! I've gotta get to the store to get a few things for my partner. I hope I can get mine out this weekend, but it might be later.

Hugs,
Becki

o

Huong ~ sorry I didn't post sooner! I recieved your envelope on Monday. Thanks for all the great seeds and the cute little seed packages - I can always use them and the gloves are great! With all the hand weeding I do - I ruin a pair every 2 weeks! But my favorite thing of all is the DAYLILY seeds you sent! I am putting them into pots today ~ I like mixes, seeing what colors I get is part of the fun and I always loose the name tags anyway... I will send yours out on Monday.

We went to a friends house Sunday morning, they raise Nigerian Dwarf & Lamoncha goats and have about 30 babies right now! They also have a pet Coyote, 2 Welsh Pony's, and an array of other things! Here are a few pictures of them -
My sister with Mrs. Delicious and Miss Charlotte - their daughters 4-H projects.
Peggy & Mrs. Delious

3. My niece & Peanut - Peanut is a month old Nigerian Dwarf - about the size of 3 month old kitten! to her right is their BROWN Turkey!
Breanna & Peanut

4. My daughter w/ Thing 1 and Thing 2 - 1 day old Lamoncha's
Megin w/Thing 1 & Thing 2

A rainbow of colored chickens!
Gary's chickens

Pet Coyote - Song Dog
Song Dog

Cranes & Snow's in the corn field east of my house
Cranes & Snow Geese 2008

Snows, Ducks & Crane's coming off the pond because Pearl barked at them :)
Snow Geese

and this bunny was sitting about 5 feet from me, Pearl, Patti and 3 of my cats when I was cleaning up the yard a little - NO FEAR!
Bunny

Happy day to everyone!
Marie

o

Marie, I love your pictures! Thing 1 and Thing 2 cracked me up! I can't believe how tiny little Peanut is!

Tammy, that is one smart little boy you have! I never thought of having a route for the eggs, I would love it if someone delivered them to my house. With 5 kids, we run out often!

Becki, I checked the price of eggs here yesterday. Organic prices were 3.50/dz, large white free range were 2.69/dz, extra lg white reg were 1.79/dz. So I think you are right inline with your pricing. That driver must read Crankshaft every Sunday and thinks it is his job to be as cranky as possible!

o

Marie, great pictures, sooo cuteee. I am amazed at their pet coyote and love the name "Song Dog".

Mariann, since the basket is just right outside my front door the birds have gotten used to me. I can get right up to the basket and touch the basket (I make sure not to touch any of the nesting material) so I can put the camera right up to the opening of the nest. I love to "check" on them daily. I just make sure not to disrupt momma and daddy in any way. We can sit on the porch and it doesn't bother the parents from bringing bugs to the babies but I try to stay away if I see one of the parents around.

Becki, eggs here at the grocery store are 3.29, commercially laid eggs for extra large white. (wal-mart superstore). I was shocked when I read what the bus driver said. I LOVE the free range eggs. Your pricing I think is awesome considering if you were here they would be considered a great buy!

Smiles,
Pixie
Smiles,
Pixie

o
pictures

here are some of my blooms today.

Ice Cream Whip Daylily

Ice Cream Whip DL

Ice Cream Whip dl2

Veronica Lake Hosta (t's)
Veronica Lake

I love spring!!!

Pixie

o

Wow, Pixie, Ice Cream Whip really lives up to its name! It looks like a cool sweet treat! Beautiful! Veronica is blooming so prettily! It just amazes me how fast spring comes in for you down there. Here, I am waiting for my tulips to finish coming up! The differences in zones just amazes me sometimes.

o

Pixie - very pretty lily! Mine are just breaking ground but with winter arriving here again today (grrrr...) it will be July before I have any bloom in my yard. Enjoy your pretty's!

Becki - I forgot to say how much egg's are here: at the store they are $3.50+ for 18 but I get most of mine from a neighbor for $1.00 a dozen. They are what you are calling 'free range' - LOL never heard that before! I have never seen a 'chicken' farm so looked one up - OMG!! That is just wrong!! Anyway since your son is doing so well on his, you should get about 500 more and he can pay for college in a year or so! Your daughter is very sweet!

At home we had about 200 chickens and my Mom would just give the eggs away when they were all laying good - no way we could eat that many and much to hot in the summer time to bake with them all. Wish I could have chickens... I tried about 10 years ago but the coyotes and a very sneaky fox were stiff competion! They dug under 3" concrete footers and I don't have chickens or ducks any more!

Quick story about putting the chickens up for the night ~ We all had our chores to do each week, then we would switch to a different one. The chicken coop was about 1/8 mile from the house, next to our pond and shaded with huge cotton wood trees that ALWAYS had an Owl just waiting to scare me the begeezy's out of me. My father knew that it was almost more than I could stand to make myself go down there in the dark so told me about 'chicken thieves' and you had to holler into the coop asking if anyone was in there. I was 6 that summer and it was my turn that week. On about the 5th day of my turn, I poke my head through the door and ask if there was anyone in there. My older brother had got there ahead of me and answered me back with, "Nobody but us chickens". Well... let me tell you, I slammed that door, threw the lock and I broke the sound barrier getting back to the house! Of course my father being the big brave guy he was, grabbed the .22 and down there he went. I heard the ruckus and many shots later we never have any more trouble with chicken thieves. I was a teenager before I found out that it was my brother. LOL

Have a great night everyone!
Marie

o

Oh, Marie! You had me laughing so hard! Thanks for the giggles! My sides are aching, LOL!

o

Tammy's Birthday was on March 28th.
free glitter - http://www.sparklee.com

All Care Animal

o
RE: NEW: Birthday Cracked Pot Gardeners**April**

Jeanne's Birthday was on March 29th
Spring Text - http://www.springtext.com

buy harry potter movies

o

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes.
I also want to let my pal know that I will be sending her package after the tax filing deadline...the lines at the post office will be pretty bad between now and then. I haven't forgotten you!!!
Jeanne

o

sorry! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday

Happy Birthday Jeanne and Tammy! I hope you both had a great day!

o

Jeanne & Tammy, I hope you both had a wonderful Birthday!!

We are in a Blizzard warning today. BIG SIGH....I've seen reports of anywheres between 6 and 18 inches of snow, and tomorrow wind gusts up to 50 mph. Can I be any more sick of snow?? lol I think my wintersowing sprouts should be ok. 32 out of 109 flowers are sprouting. This weather is also frustrating, because I want to get into my flower bed, I know that there are things coming up. My partner will be getting her box late in the month to make sure things are ready for being dug up. (My luck, we'll still be getting snow!)

Well, I better go, I have to call the school and let them know my 1st grader is home with a fever. One of my daycare kiddos had influenza last week, so I worry about that. I'm having my Dad take him to the clinic in a couple of hours, just to be checked before the weather turns nasty. It has already started icing up a bit. We are to start with rain, then move to snow. Gripe Gripe Gripe! I'll quit my whining now..

o

Spring Time in Wyoming
----------------------

It's spring time in Wyoming and the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Wyoming when the snow's up to your butt
Take a breath of spring
And your nose frozes shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Wyoming
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!
-------------------------------------------
my front yard this morning
april 10 2008

over by the pond
april 10 2008

Where oh where has our spring gone?

o

I hope you girls had wonderful birthdays!!! Sorry I didn't say it sooner!
Becki

o

OHHH!
I'm so sorry to see/hear you all snowed in again, we are wet very wet and they say we are going to get snow sat. but I will be able to start planting my community garden plot tuesday, and the director of the CG has recomended me to a lady with our local paper who wants to do an artical on growing your own vegies and starting them from seeds. I'm a little nervice about this but I will give it a go. I will also try to get GW and maybe our group in the artical.

please let us know if anyone needs to ship after the 25th, we rily want to keep the swap in the month.

I'm off to the chat room
michelle

ps
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ..TO.. JEANNE AND TAMMY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.....
HUGGS MICHELLE

o

Ya'll almost make me feel guilty for posting. It is gorgeous today. Sunny with temps in the high 70's. I am sorry you are all snowed or "colded" in again.

Happy Birthday to Jeanne and Tammy. Hope you both had wonderful days.

Marie, That is a hysterical poem about wyoming. I loved it.

Just popped in to say hi, I will hopefully have my partners box ready to mail out monday, but I will post when it is on it's way.

Early last week, I brought one of my blue quakers in from the aviary because some males had beaten her up really badly. I was afraid I might lose her, but today She talked to me! I was so happy.It had been almost a week and she had hardly moved. I get so attached to all of them.
Her words today were "what doin?" and then she called spud the dog and told him to get down. LOL! ( he loves to follow me in the aviary and then stand up to stick his nose in the flights.)It truly was an awesome sound. When I figure out how to post pics, I will show you how pretty she is.
Hope everyone has a great week. Linda

o

Happy Birthday Jeanne & Tammy!

Mariann,
I sent your box out today by priority, it should arrive with in two days.

Have fun planting! ;)

Deb

o

I just wanted to let Michelle know that I received my box today! I honestly haven't opened it yet, so I won't post contents until probably tomorrow. It was a crazy busy day today, and now there is severe weather all around us, as I am sure there is around many parts of the country, but I am between trying to keep the kids in the basement, and keeping things going halfway normally, it's not a good time for me to start going through a box. Gotta go! Have a good evening, everyone!!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Okay, I couldn't wait! All I can say is WOW, Michelle!!!! What an INCREDIBLE box you packed!!! Oh, my goodness!!!! I am absolutely SHOCKED at all this!!!! Let's see if I can get it all down here.

First off, I saw the most beautiful watering can! I'll take a picture in the morning - it is gorgeous!

Then a 3-pack of Cardinal Climber plants

Texas Super-Sweet Onions! Yummy!!!

A hardy gernaium

A Lavon Lily Tree bulb from Breck's

A Satisfaction Lily Tree bulb from Breck's

Black Opal Basil plant

White False Indigo Plant (host to Silver Spotted Skipper)

Wild Black Cherry Plant (host for Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillars)

St. John's Wort plant

Coleus Duckfoot plant (I LOVE IT!!)

A Butterfly Bush - 'Lochinch'?

Butterfly Bush - I apologize I can't quite read what this one is, but it starts with an "H"

Coleus 'Kong' plant

Sedum 'Brilliant' plant

3 Mixed Asiatic Lilies from Brecks, wrapped in a beautiful wonderful smelling fabric!

And OMG!! I've always wanted to try this!! A package of Merrill's Compost Tea and a sprayer for it!!!! Awesome!!!

And seeds!!
'Black Opal' Basil
Coriander/Cilantro
Dill (host to Black Swallowtail)
Park's Giant Hot Thai Pepper
Zinnia 'Canary Bird'
Cosmos 'Sensation Mix'
Zinnia 'Violet Queen'
Zinnia 'Peppermint Stick'
Sweet William
Zinnia 'Envy'
Zinnia Giant Double Mix
Zinnia 'Pinwheel Mix'

Plus a wonderful card telling me what the different plants are hosts for!!

You so totally made my day, Michelle!!! I can't wait to plant these in the morning!!! I hope I didn't miss anything, but it wouldn't surprise me right now!! It's starting to storm pretty bad out again! Oh, girl, you brought me to tears with how generous you are! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

Hugs,
Becki

o

I got it, I got it! My eyes just weren't working last night - it's Butterfly Bush 'Harlequin'! Sorry about that Michele - this morning I'm reading it plain as day! Hugs!
Becki

o

hello
Becki I'm so glade you got everything ok, and you like them, I could not fit everything in the box, but you have the luck of being my first plant swap this year and I have plenty to share.

we had some sever storms last night too, a tornado went just north of Quincy, ooo that was close but we lucked out again. I was going to go back out to the farm today and plant some more but it rained sooo much it will be sooo
muddy I think I will wait till next week.

lets all think warm thoughts, may be next week things will finaly turn for spring and not look back.

my plum tree has started to bloom this morning, I know it had to be soon the buds were bursting, and my mama robin was on her nest yesterday so I think she has eggs. she is too high to see in the nest and I don't want to bother her.

well I will be back later
your very very welcome becki, I hope they all florish for you.
michelle

o

Happy belated birthday Jeanne!

Sorry I missed the day but my computer at home is on the fritz.........have to find time at work to check on good old GW...............

I'll be sending my package out soon, maybe over the weekend................sorry some of you are having such rotten weather for spring..........

It cooled off to the 70's early this week but it's supposed to be in the 90's over the weekend..........our spring is so short here!

Sue G.

o

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes. It was a nice birthday but I have definitely gotten to the point where I don't care to see the numbers on my age. I try to forget about it.
Hard to believe that you have all that snow and ice where some of you live. It was around 86 degrees here today. They say it may go down to 34 degrees one night next week though. I hope they are wrong. At least 60% of my seedlings are in the ground now so I don't think there is anyway to cover more than a few things.
Sue, is there anything special you would like me to send to you? I will, of course, check your exchange list to see what you have listed. Will get a box together right after tax day.
Well, have a good weekend. I am going to try to add a few more pictures to the Spring pictures section. Everything is so pretty right now. The chamomile seeds that I winter sowed are already blooming!
Jeanne

o

I received a wonderful box from Deb today.

Actually I'm overwhelmed....Deb sent me so many African Violet leaves. Mini's, Trailing, Variegated...I haven't even been through them all. Each one is named. Plus there were a few succulent cuttings. She also sent me a small Garden Tote to carry AV supplies in. There were pots, fertilizer and cups in the tote. I really should have counted them all but I came down with a cold or the flu last night and can't see straight.

Deb-Thank You...Thank You so very much. You know how much I wanted these!
Hugs,
Mariann

o

Mariann, that is a wonderful box! Deb, you outdid yourself! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Tracy

o

Mariann,
I'm so glad they arrived without problems (cold damage turning brown). I sent them on a 60* day, and the temps dropped today drastically. Snow showers are expected tonight and tomorrow. My fingers were crossed with this box! If you want more varieties or lose any, pair up with me again for next month (or any month). Violets ship so well in stable temps. May-Oct. I have a plant room filled with different/named av's and streps.

I love the little tote, and had to pick up one for myself too! It's perfect for carrying av supplies, fertilizers. I hate searching for things, and love things organized.

Have fun planting!

Deb

o

Quick Post....

Michelle, could you please pop into chat for a few? I'm trying to get your box shipped tommorrow and need to ask you a couple of things.

Sent you an email, but just in case........

Thanks
Sassy

o

Huong~ Your package is on its way!

have a great week,
Marie

o

Deb-My DH took your box to the PO today. You should get it in a few days. I need your Birth Date for my list...

DC# 0103 8555 7493 5205 4277

Sorry I haven't been in the chat room. This flu has really knocked me out.
Mariann

o

My partners box is going the end of this week, whoohooo I am just waiting on a couple more things for it.

Great surprises everyone.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Michelle's box is on the way UPS 1z6408w10359151147

Mariann, feel better fun and stay IN bed, if you're like I was you'll have no choice. Hugs girl!

Sassy

o

Mariann,
I hope your feeling better. :) I hate being sick...
My birthday is Dec. 17th.

Deb

o

Mariann, lol, of course that was supposed to read...feel better hun, not... feel better fun, but maybe it will give you a laugh.

Sassy

o

Jeanne,

Sent your box out yesterday conf # 0308 0070 0001 9635 7368
hope everything arrives ok...........so hard to find things out here in the desert that will do well in SC. Hope you like what I sent...

Sue G.

o

I'll let you know when it gets here, Sue. You are right about our plants maybe not matching the other location, but it is always fun to try. It is supposed to be very hard to grow peonies here and for several years I bought every inexpensive one I saw to see if I could get some that would be happy here. I had Bowl of Beauty bloom last year and the year before and this year I have at least three and maybe four varieties with buds on them. I sure will post a picture when they bloom. Now, I also tried a lilac which is another hard thing to grow here and got a variety that is supposed to be geared to the South. It is growing just fine but I don't think it will ever bloom. We have had it five or six years now. Maybe it will surprise us one day.
Anyway, weird temperatures this week. It has been warm and sunny in the daytime and may drop down close to freezing tonight. My husband covered a few of the plants and I am hoping they are slightly off on how cold it will get. At least, this should be the last of the freezing temperatures this spring.
My plan is to dig plants and mail them to you tomorrow. I may have to let it warm up a little before I get out there. I wanted to stay away from the post office until after tax day. Our lines there are bad enough on a normal day.
Have a good week!
Jeanne

o

Sue (sguanzon) - I mailed my April box to you today. Priority and delivery confirmation # 0307 1790 0000 1296 9909. I hope it makes good time getting there like yours did to here - yes, your box already arrived today!
Thank you so much! I am really excited about what you sent. For the benefit of all - Sue sent a red hibiscus, a Duchesse de Brabant rose bush (hooray!), Apricot Cooler vinca, Begonia, Asiatic Lilies, some pass-along gardening magazines (I love to read), some fertilizer spikes, and some seeds - Nasturtium 'Night and Day', Chocolate Daisy, White Watsonia, and Echinacea Double Decker. I am going to love all of these and it sounds like I have a good start on a vanilla and chcolate garden.
Thank you so, so much!!! Everything arrived in good condition and off I go to plant!
Jeanne

o

hello
I just got a very heavy box from Sassy.
I'll do my best to list everything but I was so excited pulling one thing after another out of the box I might miss something
Hostas
- blue mouse ears
- aldo morginata (I just love the verigated)
- golden tiara (beautifull gold/chartruse)

a whole bunch of steel plant markers(yes)
elephant ears(I have not had these since my mom's garden when I was a kid) are they for shade or sun?
a wonderfull plant stake dec. for the garden, glass butterfly and leafs with fluttering wings. this will go in the humming bird garden
uneque catalogs
seed envies
bunches of daylilys
- nobal warrior
- ming porcelain
- starburst
- warmest regards
- ponca brave
- candy lily(is this one a day lily?)
- many un-named ( but I love surprises)

thank you, thank you, thank you.
and big HUG I just love everything.
I'll pop over to the chat room later

michelle

o

Thanks for letting me know, Jeanne, I'm so glad everything arrived ok..............

Sue G.

o

hello
me again just wanted to post some new picks of my butterfly farm

Photobucket

Photobucket

I found out why my picks were comming out to bright, my camera was set for night time picks(OOOPSS)
me and technology don't always work out good
michelle

o

Happy Birthday Mary Ellen!!!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

LOL! again! Sassy

o

Woo Hoo! A big happy birthday wish going out to Mary Ellen!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!
Hugs,
Becki

o

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Happy Birthday Mary Ellen!! I hope you have a great day!!
Karen

o

Happy Birthday, Mary Ellen.
I hope you have a wonderful day and a wonderful year ahead.
Jeanne

o

Happy Birthday Mary Ellen! Hope you have a wonderful day.

o

HI Everyone, I just wanted to pop in and say I hope everyone's day was a gorgeous as mine. It was 70 and sunny and beautiful.

My partners box is going in the mail on monday. I will post a DC then, but I just didn't want it to sit in a post office over a long cold weekend.....

I can't wait to get an energy spurt so that I can plant all the stuff I overwintered in the greenhouse. ( an on the porch) I have moved them outside, but I sure need to get my hands dirty. LOL
Hope everyone has a good week,Linda

o

Happy Birthday Mary Ellen! What are you doing to celebrate the big day? Hope you are having lots of fun!

Tracy

o

Happy Birthday Mary Ellen!

Mariann's package arrived! Thank you so much Mariann for everything!

Seeds~
Primrose
Cosmos "Picotee"
Butterfly weed/yellow
Calendula "Pink Surprise"
Daylily "Ruby Throat"
Achillea "Cherry Red"
Daylily "Spacecoast Snow Angel"
Marigold "Petite Yellow"
Pansy "Glamenco"
Sunflower "Pastiche"
Tricyrtishirta Toad lily

Plants~
Red Valerian
"Little Grapette" daylily
Echineacea "Double Decker"
Night blooming Cererus cutting
Dianthus "Ballad Blend"
Multibloom Lavender Geranium
Mrs. Burns Lemon basil
Sweet Genovise Basil
Lime Basil

Mariann,
Thank you!

Hugs,
Deb

o

Deb-I'm glad everything arrived safely. Was there a Daylily 'Sammy Russell' in the box? I thought I put one in there.
Mariann

o

Mariann,
Yes, Sammy Russell was in the box. I don't know how I missed listing it. ;)

A surprise box is coming your way Mariann. I mailed it today by priority and wanted to let you know (so it doesn't sit outside for a long period of time).

Hugs,
Deb

o

I got my package from Marie/wynative today. Thanks so much. I love everything. For your ears only, I got a really really cute garden sign. I can't wait to put this out in my garden. I also got a note pad and lots of seeds (scarlet runner beans bok choy, swiss chard, lemon cucumbers, hollyhocks, sweet pea and poppies!) I can't wait to plant some seeds tomorrow! Thanks a bunch Marie! I love it!!! What a wonderful Friday.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o

hello
sassy - sorry I disapiered the chat room kept booting me out and then I could not get back in.

I wanted to post some picks

Photobucket

my cherry tree in the front yard in great bloom

Photobucket

the new home for the day lilies sassy sent me, around the eastern cedar

Photobucket

my woodpecker/kestral/squirrle house, the squirrel is living in it now

see ya'll later
michelle

o

Hi Everybody,

Happy Spring!!

My partners box went out today.

Louise

o

Hi everyone! I've been pretty quiet for the last 10 days or so. I've been checking in though! Thursday the 10th, both of my boys (7 & 12) started running temps. and they stayed sick for like 7 days! My 12yr old had influenza B and my 7yr old had a viral infection of sorts. He spent 5hrs in the hosp on the evening of the 15th. He needed an IV with fluids and antiobotics. I still don't think he is 100 % recovered. Tires out pretty easily, and my 12 yr old had to go in today again, he has an ear infection. He still has his cough from the influenza, and the Dr. still wants him to use the nebulizer. (sp.?) I've been lucky, and only caught a cold. I FINALLY heard back with my neurologist and have to see him again next Monday to discuss surgery. Looks like I will be needing surgery for my herniated discs.

The same day the boys got sick, we also got about 6 more inches of wet heavy snow. But its all gone now!
Last week end was very nice, and I managed to get my main flower bed all cleaned up. What a pile of leaves I ended up with. There were so many boxelder bugs crawlin' around. I don't remember them there last spring. I am hoping to get my partners box out on Wednesday. I'm trying to give a few things in the garden enough time to come up, so I can dig them and package them up. Tammy, you are my partner, and you will get your package soon!! Sorry to be so late!

Well I guess I've talked enough now! I hope everyone has a great day today!
Karen

o

Hi everyone,

I mailed my partner's box today. I am sorry it took it is so late this month. the Delivery conf. # is: 0307 1790 0001 0852 2711.

Karen, I hope your boys are better soon and I am sorry to hear about your surgery. I have had that one and I understand what you are going thru. I will keep you in my prayers.

I hope everyone has a great week,I am enjoying our spring lasting longer than usual. lots of things are beginning to bloom now and i love it.

will post pics soon..

o

hello
Karen - thanks for letting us know you would be sending late, send when you can.

Ibartoo - I can't wait to see picks of your yard an lovley flowers

I was getting my hands in the dirt to day and will be back out again later.

have a great day
michelle

o

OH JOY OH JOY............I received my box from Jeanne on Friday (yes it did arrive quickly!)........computer's been on the fritz at home so I had to wait until back to work today to post.............
I received:
Rose seeds
purple hyacinth bean seeds.
Daylilies (yay!) Double Bold One and Living Flame
Bellflower, 'Elizabeth' (I used to have this, I'm thrilled to have it again)
Balloon flower
5 leaf Akebia Chocolate Vine (yay! one of my "most wanted")
Soapwort
Sedum (I just love sedums they are so cute)
Bee Balm
Lemon Balm
Viola (Johnny Jump Ups)
Artemesia
Goldenrod - Solidage "Fireworks"
and
osmocote plant food.
and
the most beautiful handmade bookmark with microwave dried pansies and herbs..........it's inspired me to finally start reading a book I had set aside!

Everything was packaged and labeled so well - Jeanne you are a real pro!

Thanks for being my partner and sending such a wonderful box.

Sue G.

o

Good Afternoon Ladies,
Karen-You and your children have been through so much the last few weeks. I'm sending wishes for their speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you too as you prepare for your surgery. Thanks for letting us know you'll be late and as Michelle said 'send when you can'.

I finally felt well enough to get out and do some planting on Saturday. Thanks for the get well wishes. It did wear me out a little. I have one more daylily to plant. It seems as the spring progresses more boxes arrive with plants for me to get in the ground. Linda sent me Canna's that belonged to her Grandmother. I had hoped to plant them today but I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I also received a box of 'Carolyn Whorton' Caladium bulbs that I ordered last fall. They are going in large pots. I think spring is finally here for us the weather has been beautiful.

Deb-Your box arrived today. My DH placed the box in my hands, directly from the Postal Carrier. I immediately opened it and removed all of the AV leaves. I trimmed the stems and placed them in individual cups of the warm soak you recommended. Thanks again...You're a sweetheart!

If anyone needs extra time, to ship this month, please let Michelle or myself know. There are 4 days left until the 25th.

I went out today and took a few pics. They are a little fuzzy. Not much in flower though.
Dicentra s. 'Alba' (White Bleeding Heart)
Dicentra s. 'Alba' (2008)
Chelidonium majus (In my shade garden)
Chelidonium majus (2008)
Hope everyone had a great day
Mariann

o

I'd thought I share that I posted a new gardening post on my blog. I've changed places where I have my gardening blog.

The website is as follows: http://aveggiegarden.wordpress.com

Here is a link that might be useful: A Veggie Garden Blog

o

I just have to show off with this one! This is the lily plant that I received from Sue last week. Can you believe it? It came barerooted and I'm sure had been in the box for a few days. It never even drooped and within two days of being put in the ground its buds started opening and it is really putting on a show. This is not only a beautiful plant but is a "tough" one as well!
Sue, here's a picture to thank you. I'm glad the plants that I sent to you got there okay. You did a fabulous job packing what you sent - as you can see here.
Jeanne

Photobucket

o

WOW thats awesome Jeanne!!! Very Pretty!!! YAY SUE Great job on sending the Asiatic Lily!!! I hope mine turns out as pretty!

Marianne, I think THINK you may have solved a question I have on a plant I have. I have a "seedling" kinda that I planted that looks almost just like the foliage (sp) of your Bleeding Heart's foliage (sp). I am really hoping now that that is what it is! It is very pretty! You have some pretty blooms there!

o

OMG, Jeanne! That is so cool!! It's beautiful, and I can't believe it bloomed so quickly!!! Awesome!

I love the pics, Mariann! My bleeding heart isn't ready to bloom yet, but it sure is looking that lovely green color! I can't wait for those little white hearts to appear!!! We had 4 plants at one time, but only one survived, and it has THRIVED! I love it!!

I WILL get my box out before the deadline, I promise! I am working on it! I'm close!!!

Hugs to all!!
Becki

o

Mariann,
Hopefully, none looked brown, clear (unless it's a tiny part, then cut off the rotten portion, dust with cinnamon). You can't save a rotted violet leaf, but you can save a limp one with the water/sugar soak. When I purchased my "Silverglade" collection from South Africa, the leaves were in transit for 17 days! When they arrived each leaf had to be revived and soaked overnight in the sugar soak. I was able to save every leaf. If you ever need any more, just let me know. My violets always need to be trimmed.

Deb

o

Good Morning Everyone, I am running late this month too. As I expected, with our heavy winter this year the plants have been slow to peak out from under the dirt. I have been combing my gardens on a daily basis and will definitely be able to send my box out to my partner by the 25th! My tulips just started to open along with my daffs. It is so nice to finally see spring arriving to Ohio! It has been a long cold winter.

Karen, I feel bad for the boys getting so sick. We had a rough winter with illness too. My oldest had pneumonia and it has taken it's toll on himl. He was on a nebulizer as well along with steroids and antibiotics. I think there has been at least one person sick here the entire winter. With 5 kids things really get passed around.

Mariann, your white bleeding hearts are beautiful. I love those little nodding blossoms. Glad you are feeling better.

Jeanne, your lily is gorgeous! I am shocked that it is blooming already. That is one happy healthy plant!

I thought I would share a few pictures of my first blooms of spring. The peony tulip just opened yesterday!
Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Have a great day!
Tracy

o

Love the flower pictures that everyone is posting. I bought some type of white bleeding heart plant last year and was so excited to have it. I think mine was an annual and never bloomed for me so that was not so exciting! Yours is a beauty, Mariann.
Just so you don't think I made the whole thing up about this gorgeous lily - when it arrived it had all the buds on it, just none had opened yet. I guess I was expecting them to drop off or at least that the plant would really suffer a decline from being mailed and replanted when it had that many buds on it. It is one happy camper! I only have a few lilies and the spot where I put this new one is right near two other kinds of lilies, so I think it likes its new neighbors. LOL
Have a good day!
Jeanne

o

Oh, Tracy, those are beautiful!!! Wow!!

Karen, I meant to say that I am sorry you and your boys have been having such a rough time!!! That is so frustrating! I have been so thankful that when Dave needed a nebulizer for a slightly long term a couple of years ago, I went ahead and bought one. I thought his insurance at the time was going to pay for it, but it ended up they would only pay for rental (weird, as rental is like $20/month, and to buy it was only like $60!) Anyway, I am so glad that I bought it! We have used that thing so much since then!!

o

Becki, Thank you! You have been on my mind lately, how is every little thing going for you? I agree on the nebulizer. They are a very handy item to have around. Ted needed it when he was little for his asthma. He grew out of it but started having bouts again this past year whenever he got sick. The other kids have used it occasionally when bronchitis hit the family a few years ago. It really has been a help to us.

Jeanne, I totally believe you! Honest! I think the lily likes you best though, if it were mine it would have nodded it's buds and said "see ya next year, ha ha!" LOL! It really is beautiful. I love all of the pictures of your blooms. I think your gardens must be beautiful. I just wish I had more popping! This northern gal is just jealous. I am always amazed at how fast things get blooming down south. I think I want to move. :o)

o

Thank you, Tracy! I appreciate that! Things are going pretty well! With the weather getting nice, we have been spending as much time as possible outside. And, I didn't realize how very much time all the seeds I planted were going to take!! Wowza! I'll have to take a pic one of these days to show you all what I've got going on. I'm sure many of you have the same thing. But, I ran out of room on my tables, so I have gone to a rotating cycle - 1/2 the plants are on the tables under the light for 12 hours, then they get put under the tables, and the other ones are put under the lights. It seems to be working okay so far. Dave suggested putting some of the more hardy plants out on the porch, and maybe leaving them there overnight, so I'm giving it a try. I left my broccoli and lettuce out there last night, and even through a very heavy thunderstorm, they did okay! So, today some of my tomatoes, cauliflower, hibiscus and geraniums are out there (don't want to do too many though, so I've left at least half of each of those in the basement yet - if I have a loss, at least it won't be a total one!!) We put a 30 gallon galvonized ice bucket type thing under one of our downspouts last night - for one thing because we wanted to start a rain "barrel", and for another thing, because the bottom of the gutter is missing, so all that rain aims straight at our foundation, and we are having a bad problem with leakage in our basement. Anyway, we had this one thunderstorm this morning, and that 30 gallon tub was filled up in 15 minutes!!! I was shocked!!! So, we have a big 250 gallon one that we used to use for watering cattle that we are going to slide under there next! Now, I just need to get some screens to put over them, and some Bt dunks (I think that's what I need to keep mosquitos from laying eggs in there, right??) I potted up several dahlias the other day, so I will be excited for them to pop up soon! And one of my callas has sprouted! I have those in pots too. I am loving having things in containers!! They are so moveable that way!!!! Okay - so how's that for catching up on happenings here??? I didn't mean to write so stinkin' much!! Oh! One more thing!! Sunday, I don't know why I brought it up, but I said to Dave that I would love to tear up the ugly bushes we had on the south foundation of the house. He didn't really agree, but said he always thought they were ugly too. Anyway, toward evening that day, all of a sudden he started digging them up!! Woo hoo! So, I totally get to redo our foundation planting on that side!! Yippee!! I am so excited! We planted all that stuff before I had ANY clue what I was doing in the garden, and it was totally icky! We had stones all around everything there, so the boys are working this week on taking out all of those white stones, and then we are going to use that to put a path out to our hen houses, so when we go to them, we don't have to walk through the mud. How ingenious is that??? My hubby is quite the thinker! Anyway, I am excited to figure out what I am going to put there (but I am thinking lots of things to attract the hummingbirds and butterflies, so we can look out the window and watch them!! Okay, I MUST stop writing now!! I hope everyone else is doing well!!

Hugs,
Becki

o

hello
I wanted to remind everyone that mariann and I don't want to have to post reminders and e-mail people to send, please send this week so we can finnish up april in april. those with reasons to ship late just let us and your partner know so we don't have to send e-mails and post reminders, if you have sent or receved and did not post it or I missed it let me know

I thought I'd post an update:

micyrey S--R
galium S--R
thelwig55
hmle2217 R --S
beckilove R (WILL SEND BY 25TH)
pixieluvplants
sandlapper_rose S--R
kalena67 ( WILL BE SENDING LATE)
sguanzon S--R
debbya S--R
sassyd S
scottrell
mellen
esiuol S
ibartoo S
wynative S -- R
Tracyvine ( will send by 25th)

If I missed anyone please let me know. and let us know if any one will be leaving the group so I can start planning for may's partners.

o

Tracy, Springtime is great in the South but after awhile you will be enjoying your plants and we will be hiding in our air-conditioned houses. LOL We have had rain this Spring so that is a big help!!! The bad Springtime problem is the pollen. I grew up in upstate New York and had never seen pollen like what we get down here. For a few weeks in the spring, everything is coated with it and it comes down so fast - no chance to keep your car or anything else clean.
I am getting to enjoy daffodil season a second time through your pictures. I love daffodils! We still have a few tulips in bloom, but they are almost finished. I picked what I had in matching pink ones yesterday and put them in a vase in the dining room, so I am not even sure I have any more out there.
The last few days the cannas decided it was time to grow. So funny - one day you don't see them at all and the next day they are 18' tall with a 10" long leaf that has developed. People who don't garden, don't know what they are missing!
Well, it is cloudy and a little cool today (67 degrees) so I am going outside for awhile and try to move some winter sowing seedlings from their containers to the ground. I know they say not to give up on the ones that have not germinated (maybe 20% of what I planted) but those nasty containers are going to be dumped in the flower beds soon and maybe they can decide to surpise me later. That leaves maybe 25 containers with seedlings that I need to plant. I'm getting there. I had wild hopes of trading some of them because I have so many little seedlings, but they are just too little to think of that type of thing until fall.
Talk to you later.
Jeanne

o

Hi All,

My partners box will go out this afternoon or in the morning. I will post DC as soon as it fly's.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Deb-Only two of the pkgs. of AV leaves were mushy...The rest were in great shape. You must have hundreds of AV's I would love to see some pics! There is something about AV that remind me of an old Victorian house. Maybe because my Grandmother use to grow them.

I love Bleeding Hearts but I've have such a hard time growing them except for this white one. It comes up every year and I don't do a thing to it. Last year I put some compost around it but that was all. Anyway I've tried for years to grow the Old Fashioned Red ones but no luck. Last year I bought one at Home Depot for $1.99 and put it up in the shady part of my veggie garden. Low and behold my DH told me today that it was up.

Jeanne-That lily looks good enough to eat!! I wish I had more space for lilies.

Tracy-Love those Daffs... I planted about 50 bulbs year before last. This year I only had one flower! They are in a terrible place.

Becki-I have to take a picture of the Tulips you sent me last October for the PP Swap. I clustered them all together and they are lovely!!!

I have a nebulizer that's about 15 years old. We stopped using them in the hospital so I brought one home. Carol and I have both used it.

Hope everyone has a good evening!!!
Mariann

o

Becki, I am glad things are going well. Wow, those young seedlings are keeping you busy! That sounds like a good system you have going there. Poor thing, I can only begin to imagine how much time you are spending moving them up and down. It sounds like a bumper crop this year for you! I can empathize with the gutter problems. I have a downspout that lets out right by my trellis and it washed away a good 2 inches of soil. I have the crown exposed on one of my clems. I need to remedy that tomorrow. Yep, dunks are what Trina was telling us about last year. She seemed to like them pretty well.

I spent the day sowing some of the zinnia seeds (giant enchantress) that you sent to me along with around 100 other little tender seeds. All are going to live outside in their trays. I will be doing the seedling dance with you if we get a cold snap. Someone should play the hokey pokey while we do the seedling whirl around! lol! Emma was helping place the peat pots in the trays and then putting all the markers in them when I finished each set. She was so cute, when she ran out of things to do she just came over and gave me some little hugs while she waited. I love this age!

Jeanne, I guess you just convinced me to stay put and stop packing! lol! I love playing outside all summer long. We have a similar pollen explosion in late May up here. The cars, windows, driveways are all coated in this bright lime green. My allergies act up and I just want to hide until it is finished. I have a little over 50 ws containers with a little over half that are germinated. This is my first year winter sowing and I am thrilled with the results so far. I don't think mine would make a trip through the mail very well either. I would love to share them soon but will have to be patient. I bet your bouquet is beautiful. I love the pinks. That is what I had primarily at our old house. This year I decided to do some deeper colors for some contrast. Stepping out of the box a bit! lol! I am so glad you like the pictures. These were leftovers from the previous owner of our house. I don't know any of the names of them but I do love them!

Mariann, I am sad that your daffs didn't produce for you! These that are pictured were no longer producing until DH and I dug out the bed that they were in. We just had clusters of green leaves and no blooms. After we stripped everything out of the bed we put a few of the bulbs back here and there and ta da! Blooms! How is that for dumb luck?! Go figure! I can't wait to see the pictures of the tulips that Becki sent you. I just love tulips!

I have had a lot of trouble with the bleeding hearts in the past. They always burned out on me before the end of summer. I bought some of the reds last year and they did the same thing again. I was very surprised to see them coming back from the roots the other day. They look very healthy so I am a happy girl! I had placed an order for the white ones this spring with HardyPlants.com but they didn't send them since their stock was expired. I will have to keep looking, your's are absolutely beautiful.

o

Oh my gosh Jeanne, how beautiful. I have one too but it bloomed pink I thought yours would too. Hope you like the red - it's really striking isn't it?

Sue G.

o

Hello! Just wanted to say that my package will be going out tomorrow and I will post a DC # then. It was a really nice day out today, 64 degrees, and tomorrow it is suppose to be 68. I so badly want to start wintersowing (or should I say springsowing) my annuals and tender perennials, but worry it still may be too soon here in zone 4. I think I'll do them this week anyway. I heard today that our local greenhouse is open......I really didn't need to hear that!! lol

Tracy, I'm so glad your first year of wintersowing is a successful one!! And WOW!! 50+ containers! I only have 27, but each jug has 4 different varieties in them.

My sister has a bleeding heart that stays green, healthy, and bushy ALL summer long, in the sun besides! My bleeding heart dies down by mid summer. I just noticed today that it is coming up fast. I think Mariann's white bleeding heart is very pretty also!

I don't have a nebulizer, but the DR is kind enough to loan them out, and them I have to purchase the tubing and mouth piece, and that was only $2.35.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Hopefully we are done with illness now for a few months, or the rest of the year.

Karen

o

Karen, you are an awesome teacher in WS! I owe it all to you! Every time I tried starting from seed inside I had disaster. WS is the best thing that I have ever done. I hope we all get a 5 year sebatical from illness. This has been the worst year on record for my family. We all deserve a break!:o)

o

Wow - I have been 'mia' for a while and all the flowers here are beautiful! A couple of my grape hyathcin are just starting to open and one giant one - but I think I planted it to deep as it is just barely peeking above the soil...

Karen - good luck with your surgery! I had mine done 9 years ago and it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself! Of course if I over do it in the spring with trying to get everything done in the yard & flower beds, the first nice weekend :) I pay for it but other than that I have been pain free and everything works like it use to. Another plus to this surgery is you are not suppose to do dishes, sweep or vacume due to the twisting motion. You boys are old enough to take care of that for you LOL My son and nephew's helped me - they were not happy about it & it wasn't like I did things but it got done. :)

Happy Wednesday ladies,
Marie

o

My Partners box flew today!!! DC # is 0103 8555 5029 8284. YAY for such a beautiful day here!

Back out side, will catch up later today.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Marie, It is so good to hear others say that they've had this problem and everything came out fine! I just want to get it done. And hopefully get back to normal!

Tracy, thanks for the kind words. I learned everything I know about wintersowing from the GW Wintersowing forums, and I am still learning! I'm glad I could help though!

Tammy, your package is on its way, DC# 03071790000517116440. I hope everything makes it there safe and sound and in good shape! Sending plants always makes me nervous! I'm afraid I'll do something wrong and my partner will end up with dead plants. :( So if anyone ever has problems with what I send, PLEASE let me know, and I welcome any tips and pointers on digging, cleaning, prepping, and packaging plants!

Hope everyones having a wonderful day!
Karen

o

Marie-I'm so glad that you were able to give Karen encouraging words about the surgery.

Becki-This is for you!!!
Photobucket
Mariann

o

WHOOOHOOO I received a wonderful box from esiuol this afternoon!!! This is what she sent me....

Astrant mix plant (very pretty)
Pink Lavender plant
Pink Dreams Catmint
(all arrived in perfect condition!!)

TONS (over 50) packets of seeds WOW!!!!
Yellow Gardening gloves (always need these)
Two magazines, Gardening How To and Horticulture
several types of plant markers and a garden marker pen
a pot sitter Froggie

I love it all!!! Thank you soo much Louise!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

here is another update
has anyone heard from Mary Ellen/mellon. she is MIA this month and has not responded to my e-mail this morning, dose anyone know if she has been ill or out of town?
linda/Ibarto - mellen is to send to you and I know you sent to her, did she let you know if she got the box? or hs she contacted you?

micyrey S--R
galium S--R
thelwig55 (will send sat)
hmle2217 R --S
beckilove R (WILL SEND BY 25TH)
pixieluvplants R--S
sandlapper_rose S--R
kalena67 S
sguanzon S--R
debbya S--R
sassyd S
scottrell (will send next week)
mellen
esiuol S
ibartoo S
wynative S -- R
Tracyvine ( will send by 25th)

I will let you know if I hear from mary ellen.
michelle

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 23:35

Relax, Michelle, I did not respond to your e-mail this morning, because I work during the day. Rather difficult to respond to an e-mail when a person is at work. I wrote to you as soon as I read it this evening. I just checked the confirmation number of the package the Linda sent to me, and her package is still in transit. I will be sure to post when it arrives. Linda, thank you so much for sending. I plan to send your package on Friday. I hope that is okay with you. Michelle, thank you for your concern for my health, etc.
Mellen/Mary Ellen

o

Michelle - I promised you I would get my butt in gear! I did!!! : ) Sharon, your box is going out today, dc #0103 8555 7493 7193 0248. I hope it reaches you quickly and safely! Sorry for cutting it so close to the wire!!
Hugs,
Becki

o

My box is on it's way! It flew the coop this afternoon. DC # is 0307 0020 0000 6841 6281. Karen, I hope you like your box! I packed your plants a little differently than I used to. Let me know how they look when they arrive. I hope they are nice and fresh for you. Another GW member posted in the Adopt a Newbie thread on how she packs her plants with step by step pictures so I thought I would give it a try.

Trina, that is a lovely box that you received from Louise! Wow, that is a ton of seeds! Wonderful!

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Tracy

o

I'll be waiting, Tracy!! I'll let you know how they arrive. I can't wait!! I'm going to have to check out the Adopt A Newbie thread and see how that GW member packs her plants. As I said earlier, I always worry about that.

Its a gloomy day here, but nice, 63 degrees. I would like to see a little bit of rain.

Karen

o

Oh, Mariann - thank you for the beautiful picture! I am so glad they are doing well for you!! I'm afraid the tulips around here aren't quite ready to open up - not good, since the annual tulip festival in town is next week! Not that I'm worried about it - but I'm sure many people in town are!

Hugs,
Becki

o

Mariann, that is a beautiful arrangement of tulips that you planted. I love them! I have more blooming today!

Becki, the poor town people that organized the festival! I can just picture them worrying and checking the buds each day. I hope they pop soon!

Karen, what'd you think of her method? I am glad it is finally warming up for you. It has been a drastic change from severe cold to mid 70's this past 2 weeks here. I am loving these warm days. I am getting a lot done outside, not so much in the house though! I did some dividing after I dug your plants and more weeding. It has been dry all week so I have to keep watering my young clematis and rock garden since it gets so hot in there. I have some clematis planted in there too and have them planted up against my lilac tree. I plan to train them throughout the tree branches so I can have blooms on it all summer long.

I hope your box gets to you by saturday!

Tracy

o

Tracy I can't find it?!! I'll re check.

o
RE: NEW: I found it!

I found it! Don't know how I missed it the first time! I'm going to check it out now.
Karen

o

Karen its on the first Adopt a Newbie thread not the partners posted one.

Mariann those tulips are beautiful!!!

o
here it is...

It was in the first posting for the group toward the bottom of the forum page. It was posted by Remy to help all the new folks when they start sending live plants eventually. Here is her link to the pictures she has of the packaging steps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remy's live plant packaging for exchanges

o
RE: NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners~April~

Thats kinda how I did mine for this swap, only I didn't make a cone with the newspaper. I'll do it that way next time. Do you all just use water on your roots? Last summer I read where someone used a spray mix of water and peroxide before mailing. I did that last year (That was my first and only time mailing bareroot plants) but I didn't do it this time. I'm such a worrier about this! lol

Karen

o

Karen, I just use water and paper towels. I just did this for the first time with the newspapers also lol. Its always good to learn something new eh? lol. Tracy is a great teacher also btw. I am sure your plants will be fine without the peroxide.

Well back outside to play.

Pixie

Pixie

o

Karen and Pixie, this is the first time for me with the paper cones. I have some reservations about doing that in the hot weather. I worry that the plants will get too hot in the boxes. I use paper towels and plastic wrap and secure with a piece of tape normally, no peroxide or anything else. I also just shake off any excess soil but not completely bare root on some plants if they have very fine roots. I hate taking them completely out of their element. I'd love to hear some opinions of the long time swappers on this. What are your favorite and least favorite packaging methods?

o

HI Everyone, I like Remy's pics about wrapping the plants. I would worry about them getting too hot during the summer months too, but I don't ship much during july-september.
When I package plants, I do basically the same thing, but I wrap them in gift tissue. It is much lighter than newspaper and tends to insulate them a little too. As I said though, by Mid-June is it much too hot for plants to travel from here. Its so sad when you get a big box of plants and they look as though they were cooked in a bamboo steamer. I have lost many that way.

I have my first two clematis blooms this week. I bought these at walmart last year and I had never grown one. I have one that is a deep burgundy, ( I thought it was purple until...) a purple one that opened today. I bought a few more this spring, but they aren't big enough to bloom yet.

If anyone can Identify these I would really appreciate it. For now I am just calling them beauty and lovely. LOL

Mellen, Friday is fine. I hope you like what I sent to you. I enjoyed putting your package together. I Mailed it monday, but this must surely be a slow week at the PO because I have been expecting some plants that haven't made it in. With My PO, you never can tell......

Hope every one has a good week, Linda

PS. Sassy and Michele, I am sorry I didn't get to chat more last night, my computer decided to act badly. Hopefully I will catch you again soon.

o

Linda, if you go to the clematis forum and post your pictures there in a larger format then nckvilledudes/miguel, bloomorelse or Jeanne from Texas will most likely tell you exactly what you have there. Make sure that it includes some pictures of the leaves as well as the blooms. Miguel is as close to an expert as they come on these matters. They are most definitely beautiful and lovely! So, you were bitten by the clematis bug too? I now have a raging collection of 12 and growing! Be careful if you do venture in there, you will be introduced to many new varieties and then you will have to have them all!

I started venting my boxes for the hot months and wasn't wrapping them at all except for the roots last summer. I had sent some sunrise echinacea down to Texas in August and they arrived beautifully, I think the vents that I poked into the box helped to let the heat escape. My partner was overjoyed at how healthy they looked.

o
waaaahhhhh!!!!! it just wont go away!!

Winter, that is! I am watching the wind blow and blow all this snow around that started falling a couple of hours ago. We are suppose to get 5-8 inches. :( It started with just 2 inches, then they bumped it up to 3-5, and now they say 5-8. School is getting out now too. I guess it will be gone in a couple of days, but man do I really hate snow right now!

I hope everyone else is getting sunshine and warmth!!
Karen

o

Poor Karen! I could just cry for you right now! That is so unfair! Snow, Snow, Go Away, Go Down Florida's WAY!

o

Ladies we have a celebrity in our midst!!! This picture and article appeared in the Monday April 21st edition of the Quincy Herald-Whig. Way to go Michelle!!!!
Photobucket
lOLLY WAGNER
Herald-Wnig Staff Writer
The gardener's house on South 19th Street is easy to spot from the street.
Michelle Reynolds' minuscule front yard is more straw than grass, but the tulips poking up in bunches around a tree stump, and the yard ornaments and bird feeders distract the eye.
But the real work is going on inside, where the cold, dark days have been banished by grow lights and window gardens.
"The plants keep me busy," Reynolds said. "It gets me through winter to have stuff blooming here all the time."
Reynolds will be putting most of her vegetable seedlings into the com-
munity plots on North Eighth Street. She also has the beginnings of several butterfly and kitchen gardens for herself, friends and relatives.
While she regrets that the garden is too far to walk to, she's glad that it's away from the curious fingers of her sons, 5-year-old Timmy and 2-year-old Jeremy.
This is her second year, and she has plants to share with the other gardeners and flowers to contribute.
The perennials have already sprouted in two portable greenhouses on the front porch. Reynolds put the shelves of flats, encased in plastic, on the porch last January and the seeds started to sprout last month.
"I just water them," Reynolds said. A lot of seeds need the freeze-thaw cycle to germinate. "I just let nature
do it."
Reynolds' kitchen is a laboratory with plants in pots, plants wintering-over, a shelf-top greenhouse, house plants, Timmy's seedlings and plants hanging and sitting everywhere they'll find natural light.
Outside the kitchen door, protected from freezing temperatures in the "mud room" on the back porch, are two more portable greenhouses sheltering seedlings.
They hold snapdragon, roses, and cardinal climbers that will bloom with red trumpets that appeal to hummingbirds.
The tiny backyard is completely mulched. "I want to water plants, not grass," she explains. The wood chips also provide a relatively clean play area for the boys, "not that they wouldn't love to play in the mud," Reynolds said. Birdhouses hang from the garage wall, and in the corner are several raised gardens for flowers.
The hard-working plants are in the basement. More than 100 tomato plants, along with eggplants, pepper plants, and more flowers sprout from flats on the shelves that line three walls, leaving just enough room for the washer and dryer. Each shelf has a fluorescent bulb hanging from chains so it can be raised as the plants grow.
"It's taken me a couple of years to get it where I want it," Reynolds said.
Here are the beginnings of several kitchen gardens and a winter's worth of canned tomatoes and salsa. While Reynolds has not gotten involved with groups promoting locally grown foods, she's discovered the pleasure of being surrounded by nature and helping things to grow.
"I talk about them to anybody who will listen," she said. hwagner@whig.com/221-3374

GARDENWEB.COM
Michelle Reynolds plants more seeds than she can use. She plans to give away her extras, including trading plants online at GardenWeb.com.
She also has several kitchen gardens planned for friends and relatives.
At only a few feet square, "a kitchen garden is something anybody can put in their yards," Reynolds said.
Her kitchen gardens hold a few tomato plants, eggplants, onions, radishes, carrots and lettuce, "just anything you can toss in dinner," she said.
There are also herbs such as basil and fennel for cooking, for the butterflies and just for the delicious aroma when they are crushed between the fingers.

o
Round of Applause!

Congratulations Michelle! That is a wonderful article about you and your gardens. I love your basement grow set up! I am green with envy at all the shelving you have for your plants. GW is going to be swamped with new members signing up! Way to go! :o)

Tracy

o
yayy michelle!!!

WAY TO GO MICHELLE!!! Awesome article I agree!!! WOW on your setup and here you were being so modest!! Girl you are amazing!!! You give inspiration thats forsure!!!

Trina

o

Wow Michelle, Nice article! Nice setup too!
Congratulations!

Deb

o

That is SO awesome, Michelle!! Congratulations!! I am so excited! I'm sitting here looking at the plants you sent me, thinking - wow, these came from there!!! Yippee!!

I just got through bringing all my seedling flats into the house. We are going to have a cold snap this weekend, and I don't want to take a chance of having them freeze. So, all 24 flats are scattered between my diningroom and kitchen. Several need a good watering, and then I will have to find a place on in the basement to put them with all of my sprouting seeds. Unfortunately, our basement flooded this morning, with the incredible amount of rain we got - so the floor is out! Don't want the seedlings to drown any more than I want them to freeze! The ground here is so saturated, there is just nowhere for all the rain water to go. I'm glad we didn't plant anything yet!! Oh, I've gotta get my dahlias and such inside too - I'd better go do it. The temp is already down to a little over 40! Have a great weekend, everyone!!

Hugs,
Becki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here