Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

NEW: Adopt a Newbie: Plant Exchange

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

With Spring in full force, we are seeing many new faces here on GW. Many new, plant-less and, when it comes to RR swaps, clueless faces. :O)

So I thought it would be nice to have an Adopt a Newbie swap...with a bit of a twist. We have many great seed swaps, but rarely do we see a plant swap. Many newbies might not have plants to trade..or if they do, they are "common" plants that most expierienced gardeners already have...and won't trade for. I ran into this ALOT as a newbie. :O)

It would also be great to welcome the new faces to Gw, with open arms...and plenty of advice on the swaps & exchanges.

I am limiting this to 10 Newbies & 10 Oldies. This will make it easier to keep up with.

Sign ups taken until we reach the limit, or May 1. Whichever comes first. All items must be shipped by May 31.

Here are the guidelines for the swap, broken down to the responsibilites for each group:

NEWBIES:

~Must be a member of GW for LESS THAN 2 months. No exceptions.

~Must send your "oldie" a Thank You card & a gift. The gift should be a gardening item: nice gloves, a new tool..etc. If your oldie has a theme garden, it can be something for that. You should discuss this with your assigned oldie, to see what would be appreciated & accepted. Please try to make it unique & something you, yourself, wouldn't mind getting. Remember the value of the plants & advice you are getting in return. :O)

~MUST send your item ASAP, deadline being May 15th. Your oldie WILL NOT send until she/he receives something from you.

OLDIES:

~Wait until you receive your gift from your Newbie to send.

~You will send out 5 plants to your "newbie". These can be from the newbies wish or wants list...or just something you enjoy yourself & think they will too. Again, you should discuss this with your newbie. Sometimes gardening space is a concern...so you'll want to make sure you don't send them something invasive if they have only a 20x10 ft lot. :O) (been there, OOPS!!)

~Also include a few hints on packaging & shipping plants, RR swaps, exchanges...anything that you have found helpful over the months & years. You might also include a few growing & gardening hints. Every gardener, new or old, appreciates these!! :O)

Okay, I believe that is it. I think this will be fun!

Let's welcome these newbies!!!

Melissa

~

Comments (67)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Newbies:
    allisonlwise/Allison
    peony3
    christieb199
    jaleeisa/Kathy
    ishareflowers/Lisa
    aimee131
    ravenwv
    sassybutterfly_2008/Wendy

GWE's:
    pat_6/PAT
    mao_tse_mom
    wynative/Marie
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa

We only have room for 2 more Newbies!

And we need 6 more oldies! Come on, girls!! :O)

• grovespirit
    16 years ago

I'd like to join as an oldie, but only if I may adopt someone from Zone 6 or 7, maybe 8 at the warmest. I was sent some Zone 6 & 7 plants recently by a well meaning garden pal, however these plants will not be happy here in Zone 11, LOL!! They need a real winter to bloom.

Hopefully we can work this out.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

I'll join Melissa!

Sassy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Grovespirit~ That doesn't look like it would be a problem! Most of the newbies so far are from those zones. Should work out fine!! :O)

Yay! Sassy is here!!

Thanks for signing up!!

Newbies:
    allisonlwise/Allison
    peony3
    christieb199
    jaleeisa/Kathy
    ishareflowers/Lisa
    aimee131
    ravenwv

GWE's:
    pat_6/PAT
    mao_tse_mom
    wynative/Marie
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    grovespirit
    Sassy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

I KNEW I saw another Sassy out there!! lol And I see butterflies on your page.. I LOVEEEEE butterflies! You have some truly gorgeous Daylilies.. WOW! :)

~Wendy

• sassyd
    16 years ago

How in the world........ will GW put up with 2 Sassy's!!! lol

Wendy I love butterflies too and you'll probably be receiving some of those gorgeous daylilies, hope thats ok.

and WELCOME!
    Sassy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

well good grief! I surely couldn't complain about that! lol

*off to cook dinner!

~Wendy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Sassy! I agree with SassyB about your daylilies!! Can I put an order in now?? Okay...I'll take Eskimo Kisses, Mort Morss, John Peat & See his glory.
    I'll expect those shortly, like right now, maam.
    LOL!!

*Hugs*

Seriously, though....loves those daylilies with the picotee edges. Wowie. :O)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Now how many robins have you hosted that I'm in? And how many have you never had me send to you? lol And for that matter, LOL, how much junk do you talk to me all the time!!

(I'm so just kidding with you!!!!!! Girl, I'll give you some of anything I have, anytime you want........if I can:)

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

I'm a less than 2 month old newbie - room for me?

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Melissa,

Add me as a GWE lol (I'll wing it on the experience part wink wink) I'd love to help a newbie out!!!

WHOOOHOOO Miss Emily!

MAN O MAN TWO Sassy's, should we just stay on alert from now on??? j/k girls.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Melissa, this is a fantastic idea! Would you sign me up as an oldie please? I will have plenty of good stuff that is ready to travel come shipping time!

Two Sassy's...? Uh OHHHHHHHH

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Tracy it scary....isn't it?

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whew! This is filling up FAST!!
    Thanks for signing up, Tracy & Pixie!!
    And YAY! Miss Em is here too! :O)

Newbies:
    allisonlwise/Allison
    peony3
    christieb199
    jaleeisa/Kathy
    ishareflowers/Lisa
    aimee131
    ravenwv
    emsgarden

GWE's:
    pat_6/PAT
    mao_tse_mom
    wynative/Marie
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    grovespirit
    Sassy
    Tracy
    Pixie

Okay! Only room for ONE more newbie!!
    We still need 2 GWE's, though!!

Hmmm....Ms Sassy....Maybe I'll have you send to ME instead of a newbie, huh?? LOL!
    You are one in a million, girl! Love ya! :O)

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Yeaaaaaaaaaa bunny, pixie, tracy - this is going to be soo fun!! Thanks bunny!
    Em

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hellooooooo Miss Em, Miss Sassy Pants, Miss Pixie and my very best Bunny Friend!

Sassy, you could never be scary sweetie! You are just so much fun and giggles I fear I might faint from too much laughter and not enough oxygen with two of ya running around here! LOL!
    {{gwi:1262838}}

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Aw shucks... I would love to be a newbie since I'm new to gardening and new to the gardening forums... but I'm not new to GW since I joined at "the other side" to remodel my kitchen in this house we just moved into (and I see a lot of people make their way over here to gardening after finishing their kitchens!). Would you consider me anyway...? I'm overwhelmed trying to "bloom where I'm planted" in a new house in a new state! TIA...

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Wow! What a turn out! And thank you again, Melissa, for including me! Hehehe, I've been peeking at some of the Mentors' lists and all I can do is drool! I can't wait til I have a list that looks like that! Thank you so much for volunteering to nurture (or is that enable? :P) us Newbies! I can't wait to see who I'm paired up with! I've already got several ideas for a nice "Thank you" to my Mentor!

It's also great to see several that I've become friendly with over the last few months!

Kathy

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

I better join as an oldie! I'm definitely that for sure!! Feel like it lately anyway! Melinda

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Kathy - am soo glad you are here too! I just realized that you were - duhhh - sorry.

Hello to all that I don't know - am happy to "meet" you and looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)

Bunny - thanks again for this great idea!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

'boo'

*playin' my part in scarin' ya by being Sassy#2 * :)

I got seeds in the mail today! yahooooooooooooo
    *goin' out to play in my dirt! I mean... red nasty clay that I'm slowly trying to make INTO dirt!!!!! :P

Hugs to all of ya,
    SassyButterfly
    aka Wendy
    aka Sassy #2
    aka ......

:)

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

We seem to have a fun group of gardeners for this swap.

I've been looking at some of the lists too. Are you sure I can't join as a newbie? I saw some very nice plants that would look great in my garden. LMK if anyone wants to adopt me.

Time for me to get off this 'puter and go play in the dirt.

mao

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

So what kind of plants are our new friends hoping to put in their gardens? What big or little plans do you have? I would love to hear about them!

SassyB, Boo back at you! Silly girl!

I need to update my lists of haves on my exchange page. I have been very bad about keeping it updated. I will probably get back to do that tonight.

See all of you later!

Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LOL SassyB

Great Idea HUNNY BUNNY!!! Your always soo smart!

Those are great questions Ducky, I would love to hear about the plants/plans too! Great way to get to know ya'll too!!!

I also need to update my lists of haves on my exchange page, I've been very lazy about it.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Well, for me, along with having some long fence line beds that will be backed by various vines, I also have two large round beds, a large half moon and a smaller half moon bed in the front yard. I would like to have some Heuchera- 'Alabama Sunrise', 'Georgia Peach','Coral Bells' and 'Caramel', I'd like some of the smaller hostas, mini and fairy roses,Amyrillis, smaller caladiums, Lisianthus, Crocus, scented geraniums, begonias, still looking for some trailing flowers for my baskets and a couple of mints.

I've got bed space, but don't want huge or giants in either leaves of flowers. I've got several larger blooming plants sown, but want smaller stuff to accent it. Unusual colors, variegations to really draw the eye.

This yard was so bare. I've made a large veggie garden, I'm fronting the fences with a variety of vines and wisteria for the butterflies and hummingbirds. I just need plants to front the vines (partially to encourage me to keep the vines in check and trained to the fences) and partially because I like layered effects. In the front beds, I've got daffs and iris and daylilies already sown in the centers, want some greenery to fill them along with smaller flowers/plants. The large half moon I want to do really fragrant because it's right under the window in our bedroom where the head of the bed is. But I want it to draw the eye too. I've got a mix of sun and shade areas. Soil is excellent, a mix of light sand, a very little clay and a very gorgeous dark, rich soil! It's like a hot knife through butter to work in, I was really lucky there!

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for signing up, Melinda! We're glad to have you! :O)

Bloomin~ I wish I could let you join, but I"m going to have to stick to the rule...3 months or less. Sorry!! But that makes it fair for everyone. :O)

Newbies:
    allisonlwise/Allison
    peony3
    christieb199
    jaleeisa/Kathy
    ishareflowers/Lisa
    aimee131
    ravenwv
    emsgarden

GWE's:
    pat_6/PAT
    mao_tse_mom
    wynative/Marie
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    grovespirit
    Sassy
    Tracy
    Pixie
    Ilovefarac/Melinda

Okay! Room for one more Newbie & one more GWE!

Newbies: Please update your trade list (with wants, especially) to give us GWE's some ideas when it comes time to start swapping. Also, it would be helpful if you would tell us, like Tracy mentioned, any special garden plans you have...like a "pink" garden, butterfly garden, memorial garden...etc.

GWE'S: Please list some ideas for the newbies...what you like to collect, garden tools you find especially helpful, any themed garden you are working on....etc. This way, when your newbie goes to find that special THANK YOU to send, it really will be something you'd appreciate. :O)

Thanks for everyone that is helping out with this!!
    I appreciate all of you!! :O)

Melissa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

*drooling over Kathy's black dirt!!!! *sighhh lol

I will update my list tonight and write a lil bit about what my dreams are in this yard a bit later on.. The sun is shining and my yard is calling me right now! :)

~SassyB
    ~Wendy
    ~I dunno how to sign so the sassys don't get mixed up! lol

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Hello ladies,
    I just want to say Thank you to all the pros here on garden web. I would never have thought that people would help out others that they don't even know! There are still some nice people in the world and apparently they are ALL gardeners. I hope to be able to help out a newbie in a couple of years when I grow up!!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Wendy, I'm called everything from Sassyone to Sassypants, lol. We'll work it out, no worries.

Sassy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Ishareflowers, I couldn't agree with you more! There are so many times that I have needed an ID for one of my plants that came with our house, help with a pest problem, propagation questions, you name it and there have been awesome GW members to help figure it out with me. These gardeners have helped make my gardens more beautiful than I could have hoped. I have been introduced to so many new plants and growing methods that I never would have come across without them.

I really think that what Melissa has put together here for all of the new folks is absolutely fantastic. I can remember trying to find some plants and nothing that I had was trade worthy. I wish that there was something like this when I signed up but am so happy it is here now for all of you new friends!

Tomorrow I start on my lasagna bed. I have it all marked out and ready for my layers! I picked up some free straw off of a nice lady from freecycle. She asked me what I was making with it and I told her about the lasagna bed. She had never heard of one before and wondered where I had heard about it and I told her about GW and all the cool things I've learned here. After it is all done and ready for planting I will be putting out my plants that I grew in my winter sown containers which is another method that I learned here on GW. What did I ever do before I found this place?!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

You was a tweeny weeny tracyvine, now you're a big blooming flowering tracyvine.

Love ya girlie!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Melissa,
    Great idea for an exchange. I can't participate. I have way too much going on in May to even attempt it.
    I did want to give the link to my post of how to prepare plants for shipping. I took pics and wrote explanations of the pics on photobucket.
    I hope it helps the newbies : )
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing Plants for Shipping

• gardenkitteh
    16 years ago

Did I miscount, or is there one more slot left? If so I wanna be a newbie. I have a great present for my experienced gardener.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Hang in there gardenkitteh......she'll be around soon.

Sassy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome, Gardenkitteh!! Step on up, we're glad to have you! :O)

Oh, Thanks for the link, Remy! Love it!!
    *and take it from me, girls....this lady KNOWS how to ship plants!! She's AWESOME!! Her plants always look great, no matter WHAT the postal system does to the box! :O)*

Newbies:
    allisonlwise/Allison
    peony3
    christieb199
    jaleeisa/Kathy
    ishareflowers/Lisa
    aimee131
    ravenwv
    emsgarden
    gardenkitteh

GWE's:
    pat_6/PAT
    mao_tse_mom
    wynative/Marie
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    grovespirit
    Sassy
    Tracy
    Pixie
    Ilovefarac/Melinda

YAY!! Our newbie slots are filled!!
    It's great to have such an awesome turn out for this swap! I never expected the amount of support...You girls never cease to amaze me!
    I love you guys!! (just say thank you! LOL)

OKIE DOKIE! Just ONE MORE GWE!! Then we can get our partners together! Whoopee!!!!

Melissa

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Awww, Miss Sassy, you say the sweetest things, now I'm blushing....

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Hey tracyvine, It looks like we're neighbors or at least not too far from each other.

I learned about lasagna gardens from here. Now I have a beautiful hosta bed in what was an abandoned alley where I couldn't even grow weeds. I've found everyone here to be so helpful and knowledgeable and I'm thankful to be able to pay it forward.

mao

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Mao, I have been waiting for a fellow Ohioan for a loooooong time! Yippee! How cool that it worked for you! This will be my first attempt at it but I have high hopes! How long did you have to wait before you planted in yours?

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I added to it all summer and then the next year I amended each hole as I planted. I needed to be extra careful because this was a real dead zone. I'm sure your area won't be near as difficult. Are you by the lake with sandy soil or working with clay like the rest of us in NE Ohio?

mao

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I am about 40 minutes south of the lake but really lucked out with the soil that we have here. It is dark and rich for the first several inches down and then we get the hard clay. Our area was heavily wooded until the 70's when the housing boom started out here. Our lot is a tiny bit over an acre and we have trees bordering us on 3 sides so we have tons of sun in the middle of the yard and close to the house but all of the south side and woods behind us are in shade.

I am planning on killing the grass first and then layering it up, I will leave it to percolate until mid june I think. I am layering with straw, composted leaves and grass that has been stewing for years and then a layer of top soil. I think it should end up being raised 6 inches after it is finished. If my ws container plants get too big I may plant them out in it early. This is going to be a full sun bed that will have drought tolerant perennials and half hardy annuals in it. Did you have a lot of settling with yours?

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to try a lasagna bed this year, but it has been one of those things that got pushed to the side. UGH. You know how that goes. :O) That, and getting hubby to let me put in yet ANOTHER flower bed is like pulling teeth. FUN FUN FUN! LOL
    SO I have to do it when he's at work, and get it done before he gets home...so he can't do anything but gripe! LOL
    I'm an ornery wife.

Oh, Did I mention it's FRIDAY??!!
    Thank GOODNESS! I'm ready for this week to be OVER!!!
    {{gwi:1262841}}

Hmmm. We still need ONE MORE GWE!! Do we have a volunteer?? It would be AWESOME to be able to assign partners this weekend. Yay!! :O)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

WooHoo!!!! I'm gettin' excited! Can't wait to see who I'm paired with!

Kathy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

Hiya everyone!

I had the best time yesterday playin in the dirt and planning my garden ideas :) :) :)

I promise I'll get that list of wants up here.. I just haven't had the time!

My son who has been in and out of the hospital constantly the past 4 years (all during high school) and he has had to be on homebound/tutoring has decided to go to prom tonight. I had 3 days notice lol But we got him a tux and since he doesn't drive yet I guess I'll be driving him back n forth to it tonight down in Atlanta. (ATL traffic....eek!) And today I was w/ my mom up at the hospital to get her another CT scan. She's battling some nasty cancer right now. AND then my other son has a skateboard competition Saturday, and my daughter has her first soccer game on Saturday and there's an arts/crafts festival I wanna go to, and my mom needs us to come over and work in her yard a bit since she can't get out to do it.. then I also gotta go to my brother's house to plant a pink dogwood we bought them. (memorial for the baby they just lost in utero. :( .... ) sooooo my next few days are gonna be SERIOUSLY jampacked! But I'll jump on when I get a lil time and will get that list up for ya hopefully by Sun eve at the latest! :)

Hugs to all and HAPPY FRIDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! woohoooo
    ~Wendy/Sassy

• allisonlwise
    16 years ago

Hi, all!

I'm SO excited for this!

I love bright colored stuff. I've got quite a bit of room.

I am working on a memorial garden this year. I was in a car accident back in November when I was six months pregnant with twin boys. Both died as a result of the accident, so I want to do a special area of the garden as a memorial. Trying to stick with white and blue plants for that area.

Can't wait to get partners! This is going to be so fun :)

Allison

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Still need one more GWE? Okay, I have been thinking about volunteering, so put me down for the last spot.

Becky
    ramazz

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Becky!! Thank you!!
    Yay Yay Yay Yay YAY!!

Okay, give me a few minutes to get the partners together & I'll post a new thread.

YAY again!!! :O)

Consider this thread CLOSED!!
    YAY! :O)

• aimee131
    16 years ago

Happy Friday, Thank you for including me. I will happily take any plant no matter how common, I am not picky. I have a huge area 50x40 at least, along a fence line planned for a garden this is part sun and part shade. I have a shade garden planned that is about 30x30. This is only the beginning. I would like to put medium sized shrubs in the back and then smaller plants in the front with some veggies mixed in w/ them. Thank you ahead of time to whoever I get matched up with.

Aimee

• omm9
    16 years ago

I just checked back and I missed the match up phase.. I'm definitely still under two months.. I haven't even made it to one month yet! I'm in NJ ZONE 7.. hoping to be sponsored.. I 've read the guidelines and I'm ready and willing! My wish list includes veggies and herbs...Thanks

omm9

• sewfishy
    16 years ago

Newby but looks like I missed the list...I've made a few exchanges already and this looks like an awesome site!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Om & Sew! Nice to meet you!
    I'm sorry you've missed the deadline for this swap, but I hope to see you around in the other RR swaps. Feel free to drop in any time!

Melissa