Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

sharing spring pictures!

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

I don't know about everyone else, but after a long, cold winter.... I'm excited spring is here!

YAY!

So let's all share what we've got blooming in our gardens!

Spread the cheer!

Here's my first IRIS of the season: the tag is missing!!!

(anyone have any ideas? It's a miniature)

And some tulips (these don't have tags, so I couldn't tell you what their names are!)

{{gwi:1262948}}

{{gwi:1262950}}

Comments (50)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

HMMPH! *stomping feet and pouting!*
    I guess I could take a pic of the SNOW we are going to get some more of tonight!
    *sigh*
    I am soooooo jealous! : )
    Vic

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Here are my phals in bloom

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow, I am jealous TOO!

I don't have pretty blooms yet either. Not like those! I had the daffodils, a honeysuckle bush and grape hyacinths bloom that is IT!

(stomps foot, pouts and turns back to the crowd, mutters under breathe THAT'S NOT FAIR!)

:)Fran

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Here's the only thing I have in bloom right now:

I don't know the name of this iris, but I really am enjoying seeing it bloom outside my living room window.

Blessings,
    Angela

• diene
    15 years ago

Well I will post a few of my crocus which is all I have but I laughed at HNB saying she lost the tags that named her iris. I gave up on tags many years ago, just enjoy the blooms is my philosophy.

Here is my summer project, I dragged it out of the brook that runs alongside my property

and here is my house sans door

and the door

and the finished product

Not really a winter/spring project but the old sill rotted away so no choice.
    Rainy and foggy today but no snow.
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

That's a pretty door!
    We are supposed to have great weather this weekend. I hope everyone has good weather to do spring projects.

Cameo Japanese Quince

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    You could try to post on the Iris forum's Gallery for an ID. There's a guy who posts on it sometimes that loves dwarf iris. Even without a name, he's(she? lol) cute.

Barb,
    Those are some good looking orchids.

Angela,
    I love historic iris.

Diene,
    Good job on the new front door. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your wagon.

Alana,
    I can't wait for my Cameo to bloom! I planted it small from Forest Farm and last year it has blooms down low and grew a lot so this year it should look really nice, more like yours.

Here's some of my miniature iris reticulata.
    {{gwi:29587}}
    Remy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oh, what gorgeous pictures from everyone! Wow! I am just more and more amazed the more I get into gardening. Keep these wonderful pictures coming!

Blessings,
    Angela

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What beautiful pictures everyone is sharing!

I finally ID'd my iris- it's Whoop 'em up. It didn't have a tag, but I went through my database of plants, and found that iris listed as one I had. Looked up a picture, and that's what it is. This is a funny spring....nearly ALL my iris are putting up buds, and this is the FIRST time they've ever done so this early. Usually they don't start until the end of May or early June.
    I guess at least SOMETHING liked the ice storm!

Diene~ I love your new door! That's a project we've been putting off for a LONG time. But since we've got 5 outside doors, I think it's one that will continue being put off. LOL

Keep sharing those pictures, everyone!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful pics!!! I'm not home right now, but I'll share pics too when I get home later on tonight. I was giggling when I saw the house with no door and the door sitting by itself! LOL Too funny! Glad it made it on the house. :D

Kathy~SC1

• diene
    15 years ago

It becomes more amusing when you realize I live in Maine and we still had snow on the ground but it had to be done. I was more excited than you when it went back on that same day as I was a bit worried we would be using the rug pad as our front door for the night. That would have cost a fortune and still been cold.
    Glad you found the name of your Iris HNB, some day you will either commit them to memory or give up like I have.
    Have a great night.

diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

hello everyone! I don't have anything blooming yet, but I do have some pics to share! here's the garlic Paula and I planted last fall...

some ivy peeking out from beneath my gnome "castle"...

a couple of "gentlemen" discussing the garden...

and a couple of lost birds who will staying to inhabit the halloween garden...

I also took some pics of my first baskets...

Happy Sunday Everyone!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I love seeing everyone's pictures!

Here are some pictures from me. The things that are blooming right now in my yard are so pretty that I got out my camera and need to post a few to share.

Close up of Azalea

Azaleas near front steps

Daffodils - I love daffodils!

Johnny Jump Ups

Kerria japonica

Viburnum - Does anyone know what kind this is? I'm sure the flowers will turn white soon. The leaves stay on the plant all winter and are sort of fleshy - no shine to them. The plant came with a label, but the description of that viburnum when I looked it up does not match with my plant.

Have a good week.
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Jeanne,
    Those azaleas look great! I love daffodils too.
    Can you get a close up of the leaf and flower on the Viburnum? I take it the flowers are not scented?

Dan,
    It will be interesting to see the Halloween garden later in the year.
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I did a little online searching after I posted my pictures and I think my viburnum is Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile'. - Chinese Snowball. So far the blooming has been unpredictable (I have only had it for about a year) but it has these big puffy flowers this Spring. At first it had flowers in the fall and then nothing last Spring and I have never gotten berries on it. Based on these most recent flowers, I think I am really going to like it!
    Jeanne

• wynative
    15 years ago

I AM SOOOOO JEALOUS!!! Everyones flowers are BEAUTIFUL - I needed to see this as I can use the pick-me-up. I have to agree with Vic - all I have this spring is SNOW.....

{{gwi:1262970}}

I HATE digging out of snow drifts!! I got caught taking a break - LOL 14" on the ground Saturday morning, then the wind started. This one was a little over 4 feet tall and the other 2 that I have to move are about 2 1/2 feet but over 25 feet in length. I'm almost to the county road, just about 20 more feet YIPPY! and when the county gets their graders dug out of the drifts on the other side of the county - they will clean up the road & I will be able to go back to work.... oh goody ;)

The good news is that all of the moisture is giving my spring blubs a big ole' drink and they will be fabulous when they bloom. LOL

Marie

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Marie, that's priceless! I would love to have that much snow just once.

• diene
    15 years ago

And that once would be enough for your poison. The unfortunate thing is that it does not only happen once. We were lucky and the storm Marie received stayed south of us and went out to sea. We only received the back side so we had over an inch of rain but that is okay, it was not snow. All of our rivers are flooding and the concern is the ice floes jamming them up. I am far enough away from them not have to worry about it.
    diene

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Marie ~ What a great pic! hehe I've never EVER seen that much snow at once either... I wouldn't mind going to visit for a day.. then would be more than happy to go back home to my GREEN yard..lol

Hugs,
    Wendy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Snow is a lot of fun - on a ski slope or for sledding :) This picture was taken after it had started to melt but there was still alot to move...

The county finally showed up Monday night about 7:30ish and cleared the road and we haven't got any of the latest bad weather.

happy Bunny Day to Everyone!!!
    Marie

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I am sure I would get tired of it two, after a couple of days.
    No snow here:

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Marie,
    Love the pic! I'm sorry you get snow like that so late in the year.
    Like you said I like in once a year, lol. Though I would always take snow over floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fire, etc.

Alana,
    I love bleeding heart. It looks so pretty. The dang plants always die on me! For all the odd things I grow and I can't keep a simple bleeding hear alive. One of these years, I'll find a spot where one will live.
    Remy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

There must be more pics out there!
    These are from this morning:

First Salvia to bloom - S. pratensis, Swan Lake

{{gwi:226763}}

Old Fashioned Lilac

Lunaria annua and Lunaria annua alba variegata

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a few more iris blooming, and more on the way (if the weather holds out!)

This one doesn't have a tag, but it's pretty enough it doesn't need one. :O)

This one is "betsy boo".

And this....is a complete surprise for me. A variegated daylily popped up beside another daylily. I have NO idea where it came from....I guess whoever I traded with for the one next to it had a variegated daylily planted next to that one, And some of the bulbs from that plant got sent along with the other? Oh well, we'll see what it looks like later on. :O)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Bunny on that variegated DL count yourself lucky to have it.

I have a few pics to share too, although most aren't blooming I am just THRILLED to have them!

Green Zebra DL

Some of my hostas new last year

Pewter Veil Heuchera

Other Small Heuchera

Thyme

Variegated Solomon's Seal

Swan Lake Saliva THE ONLY THING blooming at the moment!

:) Fran

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You have Solomon's Seal! *drool*
    I'm jealous! :P

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hmmm, my pic wasn't showing just now, I had to click on it to show it....wonder what's up with that.
    Yes, Bunny dear. I have a small one. I have had it for 3 years and it just doesn't produce. I did give my mom half of what I have last year. I am hoping when I get it planted in the ground again it will take off. I HOPE!
    You have stuff I envy too LOL, and so does Alana and most everyone else here on GW LOL, don't we all lust over others stuff? hehe

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My flowers are doing so much better than usual this Spring because we have been getting RAIN! Anyway, here are a few more pictures...

Pansy (I took a picture of this because it is the first time I have gotten a pansy seed from seed to blossom. The blossom is as big as the entire plant!)
    {{gwi:1262986}}

Chinese Snowball Viburnum
    (I placed my hand in the picture so you can see how large the blossoms are.)

Some Clematis Blossoms

Iris (I love the color. I know this is the first time it has bloomed for me. Maybe I got it from someone in a swap. Anyway, I love it!)

Weigelia (I think this one is 'Polka')

I love seeing everyone's pictures. Total surprise to me that there are variegated daylilies. Always learning something new!
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne~ I LOVE that iris! It's gorgeous!! :O)

Here's the newest member of our family, Gypsy.
    We just rescued her today, on her 11th week birthday!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Lovely lovely pics everyone!!

Jeanne ~ how do you put your GW id across the pic? I'd love to learn the how-to of that!

Fran ~ Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's flowers! hehe I sure am glad THAT's not a rule we must follow!

Bunny ~ Awwwwwwwwwwww she's so cute!! :) I bet the kids adore her!

I have pics I took this week to share too.. just gotta go search how to post pics again... and see if I even remember my photobucket pwd! lol :P

~Wendy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

But WENDY! If I DON'T COVET MY yard will not look as good!

Jeanne, you have some gorgous plants! I can't wait for my stuff to start doing better.

I went to my moms the other day and she has this MASSIVE white Iris, it was just beautiful, the bloom was large AND so is the clump. I get to go back and get some!!! PLUS I get to get some lilac bush, I am so happy. It is pretty too!

OK, well just thought I would check in.

Wendy you can add text to your photos from photobuck OR any photo shop, photo program you have...

Did you know that posting any pic on GW gives right to iVillage? That is why a lot of people have stopped posting pics! It is in their read info about the site stuff somewhere, someone in the Carolina Garden Exchange told us about it.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Buuny, The kitten is so cute! I know your children must enjoy having her there.
    Fran, yes, I label my pictures with my GardenWeb name to try to protect them from being used somewhere I don't want them used. I have heard about people's pictures showing up as examples when people try to sell plants, etc. I figure it makes people less inclined to try to use them for some other purpose with my name splashed across there. I have software that I use to add the text to my pictures but I think you can do it on Photo Bucket now as well.
    I am going to start painting our barn tomorrow so I'd better head down there to wash off some of the dirt! So far I bought black and white for the trim. I haven't decided on the main color yet. We have sort of an off white on there now and it shows the dirt way too much. The wood that they built it from is rough and the dirt really clings to it. Other than when it is freshly painted it looks nasty, so I'm hoping a color change will keep it looking a little better.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm. I'd never considered people stealing pics to sell something. It's sad that someone would do that.

Jeanne~ You'll have to let us know what color you decide on. painting is one chore I actually like. :O)

These are the last lilac blooms on what's left of our bush. The lilac got clobbered by falling trees during the ice storm. Poor thing lived for 50 years before this! Makes me sad.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Wow, I just love everyone's pics!! I don't know how to do that yet! Will learn someday!
    Jeanne that iris is to die for!! If you ever want to trade a rhizome give me a holler!
    I hate that about your lilac tree Melissa! I just love lilacs! I have 2 huge ones here and you can smell them all over when outside and they blow in the windows! So nice!
    My woodland phlox is all over also and smells good!
    Just love to sit on the patio and smell all the wonderful smells of spring!
    Alana, some nice pics! I would love to see your yard! Wouldn't it be fun to go around and visit everyone and see their yards!
    Fun to dream though! Have a great weekend everyone! Melinda

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

bump

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Thought I would share some of the latest photos from my bunch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaleeisa's Spring 2009 pictures

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures Kathy! The boys look like they're having a ball! Love the gazebo as well as the flowers.

Joan

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Here are some of my pics!

Daffodil

Forsynthia

Strawberry Blossom

Daffodil

1st Tulip of the season

Daffodil

Daffodil

Enjoy!
    Kamil

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Kamil. I LOVE your daffs.. Both of them. I just love daffs anyway but those two are gorgeous

Bunny - That purple/white iris is BEAUTIFUL! Gypsy is adorble

Fran - I know the covet thing... I would just LOVE to have some white bearded iris also. I love bearded iris and have been keeping an eye out for all white ones. Sigh..

Everyone all the photos are great.

I will be adding some this weekend. :-)

Tammy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the daffs! Up until a few years ago, I never knew there were different varieties! LOL Just thought they came in the standard yellow. :O)

We have tons of Iris blooming...a few other things, too. The roses are starting to bloom like crazy. I can't wait until they're at the peak.

Here's a few iris- one of these isn't like the other! LOL Wonder where THAT came from??

"Red at Night"

Okay, does anyone have any idea what this might be? I've had it for 3 years, and it's never bloomed, just had foliage. This year, it's sending up red buds....I'll post another pic when they actually bloom.

• piksi_hk
    15 years ago

What gorgeous photos! I want them all...espcially Red at night...

Here are some of the first blooms for me this spring; all sown from seeds:

One of the few beared iris I received in trade:

My 3 yr Ville de Lyon clematis. Isn't she lovely?

Betsy

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Nice Pics guys!

Here are some more:

Purple Pitcher plant:

And another daffodil, does anyone know the name of this one? Its a late bloomer.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Jeesh, I spent time writing stuff to everyone, and it got erased when I went to copy my blog link. I don't have time to re-write everything. Suffice it to say, I love everyone's pics!!
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog ~ Daffodils

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

Bunny, your mystery plant looks to be Siberian Iris. I have clumps of those all over. I love them. They are usually one of my first blooms of the season. Around first of may here. Mine did not bloom much this year but they had been moved and divided into small clumps the year before soI thinkthatis why. This year I have spent a lot of time weeding them and feeding them and they have quadrupled in size. SO,after they bloom, I will prob. divid them again, but not as small of clumps this time. I think they bloom better in med. size clumps. Otherwise mine die out in the middle when too large. I like to group the clumps, though, that way you still get a massive bloom area, They are one of my favorites.

Nichol

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Remy,
    I pulled up your blog and the tulips and daffodils are so pretty! Great photography, too. Daffodils are my favortie flower so you know I enjoyed looking at them.

The pictures others are posting are lovely, too. Thanks for sharing. I hope to add a few pictures soon.

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nichol~ thank you, you're right. It finally bloomed yesterday, and it's indeed a sort of iris. I've never seen them like this before, so I wasn't sure WHAT it was. LOL I knew the foliage looked like an iris- sort of, it's awfully small- but it'd never bloomed until now.
    Anyway, now I know what it is, yay! :O)

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

You guys have some really nice pictures.

Betsy, Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL. Especially your ville de lyon clematis.

I am going to force myself to take the time to add some pictures to photbucket. I've never used photobucket before, hopefully it is easy. It won't be today though, I will be too busy with my daughters birthday party. She has now hit the terrible two stage. And I am standing here looking at her while she is having this temper tantrum thinking where is the pleasant mild mannered child that I once had. Anyway, Hope this stage doesn't last long:)
    Denise

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Great photos, everyone. I love the Irises! The mid-season bloomers are peaking now in my garden. I need to upload some more pictures, but here are a couple:

English Charm

Los Coyote
    {{gwi:1263015}}

and Papaver rupifragum

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Adding a few pictures that I took today.
    This is a foxglove that I winter sowed early in 2008.

Gaillardia also winter sowed in early 2008

Bowl of Beauty Peony - seems to be the only one I have that is willing to bloom here in this hot climate

A lily that I got in a GardenWeb Swap. It's so pretty.
    {{gwi:1263022}}

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Dauntless My FIRST Iris bloom! yeah.

Firewitch Dianthus aren't the little pink blooms cute?

Hot Lips Salvia