Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2gardennc

Special abreviations for RR FAQ

love2gardennc
16 years ago

I am out of touch but I am the creator of the RR FAQ and would like to update it to include all abreviations that may be used on the Round Robin Forum. One of the newest that I have seen is the MFN (make new friends), I must say that this one had me confused and a bit worried that it was BAD language, so very glad to have it explained to me.

I would love to hear from all of you on abreviations, not just the ones normally used here but everyday ones that might be used other places on the Gardenweb site. Do not think that anything should be left out as I am one of the older models and anything beyond LOL (laughing out loud) or LMK (let me know) may be out of my experience. Thanks ever so much, Les

Comments (7)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Here are a few....
    ROFLOL=Rolling On Floor Laughing Out Loud
    ROFLMBO=Rolling On Floor Laughing My Butt Off
    DH=Dear Husband
    MIL=Mother In law
    SIL=Sister In Law
    DD=Dear Daughter
    BRB=Be Right Back
    JK=Just Kidding
    Later..April/dirt_under_my_nails

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Les, Had a good giggle over the MFN worries. It is "MNF" for Make New Friends not MFN. I could see how MFN would cause some concern. lol!

Thanks for your help in the FAQ Pages!

Tracy

• AmyinMO
    16 years ago

It took me a bit to figure out "MNF" too... and still trying to figure out "OBF" -- what's that one?
    Here are some more. Some of these I've seen around GW; others I know from chat rooms and other message boards. There are tons out there, but it's probably easier to figure most out in context, rather than list them all--even just all of these! UWYL&TTR - Use what you like, and toss the rest. (If a person really wants to, they could do a search for "internet shorthand" and come up with all kinds of lists!)

SASBE - self-addressed stamped bubble envelope - but what this really means is to send return postage and your address label (and anything else requested) in a bubble envelope, with the flap of the envelope TAPED (not sealed) shut, so that the same bubble envelope can be reused to send the seeds back to you. (Hope that makes sense!)

BE - bubble envelope
    KWIM? - know what I mean?
    IYKWIM - if you know what I mean
    IMO - in my opinion
    IMHO - in my humble opinion
    IMNSHO - in my not-so-humble opinion
    IME - in my experience
    FYI - for your information
    TMI - too much information!
    b/c - because
    TTYL - talk to you later
    TTFN - ta-ta for now
    IRL - in real life
    ds or DS - dear son (April listed dd already)
    yob or yog - year old boy or year old girl (used with numbers, such as my 13yob)
    u/l - upload (such as "I need to u/l pics of my garden")
    d/l - download (FYI: you upload TO, and download FROM - usually to/from a server)
    LOL - laughing out loud (or "lots of laughs")
    LMBO - laughing my butt off (from here, if you can't guess what LMAO means, too bad; I'm not saying! LOL)
    OOH - on one hand
    OTOH - on the other hand
    GMTA - great minds think alike
    PO - post office
    AFAIK - as far as I know
    IDK - I don't know
    LMK - let me know
    BTW - by the way
    AAMOF - as a matter of fact
    ATM - at the moment
    FWIW - for what it's worth
    HTH - hope that helps
    WS - winter sowing
    MG - (morning glories? marigolds? not sure on this one)

That might be TMI, but I HTH! ;-)
    --Amy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Great List Amy!!! OBF = "Our Blooming Friends" I didn't realize thats what SASBE meant, I have been sending a separate SASBE lol.

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

just an FYI (for your inforamtion) these apply to all communication not only RR *(round robins)

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

don't forget

:) (smilye)
    :O (surprized or shcked)
    :( (sad or angry)
    ;) (wink)

• AmyinMO
    16 years ago

pixiesluvplants - Thank you! I thought that, too, about SASBEs, but Sue/chemocurl explained it to me (probably better than I explained it above, but I can't find her explanation atm). :-)

fcoffill - oh, you're right, definitely can't forget the cute 'lil emoticons! If someone doesn't know what the smiley is, they might be wondering why people keep typing strange symbols (lol)!

--Amy