Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Special abreviations for RR FAQ

Posted by love2gardennc z7b NC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 14:41

I am out of touch but I am the creator of the RR FAQ and would like to update it to include all abreviations that may be used on the Round Robin Forum. One of the newest that I have seen is the MFN (make new friends), I must say that this one had me confused and a bit worried that it was BAD language, so very glad to have it explained to me.
I would love to hear from all of you on abreviations, not just the ones normally used here but everyday ones that might be used other places on the Gardenweb site. Do not think that anything should be left out as I am one of the older models and anything beyond LOL (laughing out loud) or LMK (let me know) may be out of my experience. Thanks ever so much, Les

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Special abreviations for RR FAQ

Here are a few....
ROFLOL=Rolling On Floor Laughing Out Loud
ROFLMBO=Rolling On Floor Laughing My Butt Off
DH=Dear Husband
MIL=Mother In law
SIL=Sister In Law
DD=Dear Daughter
BRB=Be Right Back
JK=Just Kidding
Later..April/dirt_under_my_nails

o

Les, Had a good giggle over the MFN worries. It is "MNF" for Make New Friends not MFN. I could see how MFN would cause some concern. lol!

Thanks for your help in the FAQ Pages!

Tracy

o

It took me a bit to figure out "MNF" too... and still trying to figure out "OBF" -- what's that one?
Here are some more. Some of these I've seen around GW; others I know from chat rooms and other message boards. There are tons out there, but it's probably easier to figure most out in context, rather than list them all--even just all of these! UWYL&TTR - Use what you like, and toss the rest. (If a person really wants to, they could do a search for "internet shorthand" and come up with all kinds of lists!)

SASBE - self-addressed stamped bubble envelope - but what this really means is to send return postage and your address label (and anything else requested) in a bubble envelope, with the flap of the envelope TAPED (not sealed) shut, so that the same bubble envelope can be reused to send the seeds back to you. (Hope that makes sense!)

BE - bubble envelope
KWIM? - know what I mean?
IYKWIM - if you know what I mean
IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion
IMNSHO - in my not-so-humble opinion
IME - in my experience
FYI - for your information
TMI - too much information!
b/c - because
TTYL - talk to you later
TTFN - ta-ta for now
IRL - in real life
ds or DS - dear son (April listed dd already)
yob or yog - year old boy or year old girl (used with numbers, such as my 13yob)
u/l - upload (such as "I need to u/l pics of my garden")
d/l - download (FYI: you upload TO, and download FROM - usually to/from a server)
LOL - laughing out loud (or "lots of laughs")
LMBO - laughing my butt off (from here, if you can't guess what LMAO means, too bad; I'm not saying! LOL)
OOH - on one hand
OTOH - on the other hand
GMTA - great minds think alike
PO - post office
AFAIK - as far as I know
IDK - I don't know
LMK - let me know
BTW - by the way
AAMOF - as a matter of fact
ATM - at the moment
FWIW - for what it's worth
HTH - hope that helps
WS - winter sowing
MG - (morning glories? marigolds? not sure on this one)

That might be TMI, but I HTH! ;-)
--Amy

o

Great List Amy!!! OBF = "Our Blooming Friends" I didn't realize thats what SASBE meant, I have been sending a separate SASBE lol.

o

just an FYI (for your inforamtion) these apply to all communication not only RR *(round robins)

o
RE: Special abreviations for RR ALL

don't forget

:) (smilye)
:O (surprized or shcked)
:( (sad or angry)
;) (wink)

o

pixiesluvplants - Thank you! I thought that, too, about SASBEs, but Sue/chemocurl explained it to me (probably better than I explained it above, but I can't find her explanation atm). :-)

fcoffill - oh, you're right, definitely can't forget the cute 'lil emoticons! If someone doesn't know what the smiley is, they might be wondering why people keep typing strange symbols (lol)!

--Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here