Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about trading hybrids

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 15:25

I've been wondering about trading hybrid seeds. Somebody's wish includes a seed I have that includes an "x" in its Latin name, meaning it is a hybrid which does not come true from seed. How untrue its offspring is I don't know. Will they be really different, or just slightly different?

What do you all think about trading seeds which will not deliver the true parent? I'm not asking about somebody trading a hybrid and not realizing it, as I think it's quite burdensome to ask all traders to research their seeds. But, if you know somebody has requested a hybrid and that you have garden-harvested seed that is not guaranteed, do you send it anyway? Commercially purchased hybrid seed should be guaranteed, but who knows what comes out of the garden?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about trading hybrids

When I request seeds from a hybrid I do so with full knowledge that I am doing an experiment and I am looking forward to seeing the results. Who knows-something better than the parent could emerge.
As with most naturally pollinated plants, hybrid or otherwise, using any seeds not developed under controlled conditions can be unpredictable and none of us can tell if any measures were taken to insure the genetic integrity of non-hybrids grown alongside compatible relatives unless the trader specifically tells us. Usually the results are very good, but not always.
I believe most seed traders know that and have realistic expectations. Or do they?
Alana

o

I think the important thing is to make sure the person you are trading with knows that these are garden harvested from a hybrid. If they see a hybrid on your trade list, they might assume that you are offering extra commercial seeds. Lots of people don't mind trying garden harvest hybrid seeds, but for those that only want commercial hybrid seeds, they would want to know that information up front.

Bonnie

o

I always label my seeds and my exchange list with either OP (open pollinated); SP (self-pollinated) and C (Commercial). It makes it easier on your trade partner. Rule of thumb....If you want a perfect genetic copy of a plant then never use open pollinated seeds. Even though at times it's fun to see what grows.
Mariann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here