Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: May - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

sandlapper_rose
17 years ago

Time for our May postings...

...and let's see who has a May birthday: abcgirltx on May 19 and giverny on May 20... Anyone else?

Have a wonderful month of May!

Comments (78)

• skohler
    17 years ago

Hi
    ANN Recieved the great plants all in very good shape thank you .
    ann sent me toad lily I Really Like that one :)) & A Siberian IRIS SNOW QUEEN My 1st Siberian iris :)) so pleased . & A Lg Leaf Corrugated Hosta .
    thank you & I Have them planted in between the rain today .

Carmen PLEASE Don't give up on me they say sunshine by sat :)) & I will get your plants in the mail .
    susie

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Suzanne,

Thank you so much for another wonderful box of surprises! She sent Miss Oklahoma cannas and Grand Cru lily which are going to be beautiful and already planted between rains!!! I also received some plant markers (much needed always), a pruning shear (which I was going to go get one soon), a very pretty garden stake with a basket of flowers and "welcome" on it (this is going in the bed right by the front door), and pretty stationery. I have a wonderful supply of yummy chocolate fudge "Go Tarts" for that extra energy boost after out planting and a new assortment of green teas for a relaxing cup after work. She remembered Mickey the ever so spoiled dog too with his own selection of new treats! :)

Suzanne, thank you so very much! Hope I haven't forgotten anything...I love everything! You have mail.

hugsssssssss,

• pedalpusher
    17 years ago

Stephanie,
    I haven't forgotten about you just still looking for the right thing. I will be shipping soon though. Thanks for being so understanding. Have a great week.
    Carman

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm a few hours early, abcgirltx, but have a Happy Birthday tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful year ahead!

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Alicia,

• wynative
    17 years ago

Alicia,

I hope your birthday was everything you expected!

Marie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, my old pal

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm going to post these Happy Birthday wishes early once again. Happy Birthday, giverny!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow.

{{gwi:1264048}}

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday abcgirltx. I hope it's a good one.

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Giverny!
    I hope you're having a wonderful day.

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Alicia and Giverney

Karen

• mellen
    17 years ago

Happy, Happy Birthday to Both of you WONDERFUL Ladies!!!!

Mellen/Mary Ellen

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, I received a box of thEEEEE most AWESOME daylilies from you! I was so shocked and thrilled and overwhelmed. It brought a lump to my throat that someone would be so thoughtful and generous. You already DID enough for my BD. THANK you over and over! These are the day's that Beth sent: Codyted, Island Hopping, Frozen Jade, and Peach Pinwheel. Yes, I will try to remember to check on the jade for a scent. Maybe you can "nudge" my memory, too? Thank you oodles and bunches! Mary Ellen

P.S. I also wrote to you and Jeanette on your Seed Swap.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Ohhhh Mary Ellen,
    What a nice assortment of Daylilies! Beth really outdid herself! Is Frozen Jade green?

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, Giverny! Hope your birthday today was as wonderful as mine was yesterday. And thanks for all the birthday wishes; even if the day hadn't been so perfect, y'all would have made turning 45(!!!) much easier. I am in love with a wonderful man from Chicago, and he flew in to take me out to dinner for my birthday and to buy me something sparkly (no, not THAT!).

Marie, I'll get your box together in the next couple of days and send you some things I think you will like. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Alicia

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Whoooo whoooo Alicia! How exciting! Thanks for the birthday greetings y'all... Welll my birthday was not as exciting as Alicias but very nice. My daughter presented me with a bunch of plants, my son just got his license and took me out for surprise ice cream treat which was cute, and we all went out to dinner last night....hey by the way I just turned 46 myself and I am originally from Chicago. Like Chicago guys, married one...... lol.
    p.s. to Debbie, your box will go out this week. ;)

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Mellen, so glad you like daylilies too. I'm crazy for them and it was fun to pick some for you.
    Deb, no frozen Jade is not green. It's yellow with a green heart. More like lemon custard with key lime in the middle. Who knows how they pick these names. It is listed as being one of the more fragrant ones and stays open later in the day then many others.
    Hope all you May babies had great days. May is a fine month for Birthdays My oldest daughter's BD was this week too but I don't want to talk about that. Makes me feel positively Ancient!!!
    Jan, Girl where are you??? Not seeing you on here much. Hope that means you are out in the garden soaking up sunshine.

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Debbie your confirmation #is A.) 0300 6000 0000 9316 2592 or B.) 0300 6000 0000 9316 2608. ( I did not put the names on receipts, and posted 2 boxes today. geez louise. )

• mellen
    17 years ago

Vee, I will work on getting your box done tonight so it can go out in tomorrow's mail. I don't want to get kicked out of this exchange!!! Mellen

• bojo96
    17 years ago

I'm going maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad here! I finally have a connection and missed everyone's birthdays....BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAYS!
    gotta make this quick since I don't know how long I'll be able to post...but wanted to let Susan know she should be recieving her package today or tomorrow! (mailed it Saturday)
    Julie

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Belated Happy Birthdays from me, too, to all the birthday people!!

We finally have our computer up and working again. The cable guy came and it looks as though he fixed it. Here's hoping it sticks!

Hope everyone is having a great time out in their gardens, and staying busy planting lots of seedlings.

Can you believe it is almost June? We are almost halfway through this exchange already. Hard to believe!

Well, have a nice day everyone.

• skohler
    17 years ago

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO ALL

Carman Your May box is in the mail You should have by thursday or friday PLEASE Let me know you got this message :)) I don't want live plants in the post office this long weekend .
    So Please let me know .
    susie

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Greetings All, I got another cool package from Julie/Bojo ----(which is a good thing 'cause its stinkin' hot here today!) First off a cute/funny birthday card, A huge shaker jug of wildflowers for Butterflies and Hummingbirds, covers 50 sq. ft., I have just the place for it too I am going to trot out to the side yard early a.m. and shake away, then water it in....2 great gardening books, "Year - Round Gardening Projects" from Horticulture Magazine's Monthly "Step-by-Step" column, I am particularly interested in "laying a flagstone path", "rooting buddleia", "raising ferns from spores"?! "dividing daylilies" "training a standard lantana" "raising a clematis"....and Sunset's "Florida Top 10 garden guide" which has the plants most likely to thrive in the Florida garden (yea!!) and the most important tasks in the Garden each season which I truly need since I take copious notes and still can't remember what to do when. Both books are chock full of photos and drawings illustrating the directions. I love that. When in doubt I usually just weed and water.lol. Anyways these books are truly appreciated and I am going to have a tough time getting anything house work related done this week but I will enjoy myself thoroughly. Especially since the teens are "angst ridden" this week, I can use the break! The box arrived this afternoon and I would have reported earlier but I have been holed up trying to be inconspicuous reading in the corner ....shhhhhhh!!!Thanks Julie!!!:) /Susan

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Debbie your box finally went out today, May is just going too fast, sorry I am so late. Mellen don't worry I am slow this month also Carol

• bojo96
    17 years ago

Susan, I'm so glad you like the books. I knew you said earlier in the year you liked all garden reading material and searched high and low trying to find ones that were truly helpful and easy to follow. (I've gotten some that all I could think of is "yeah, right, they want me to do what?!?! LOL)
    I'm not real sure about seeds in Florida and when to start or do you guys every stop? LOL But, I figured it was hot down that way so didn't want to send live plants.
    Julie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Carol,
    Your box arrived!
    In the box was a bath set, wood brush/pumice stone, nail kit.
    Seeds-zinnias, columbine, formosa lily, hosta (mix).
    Dahlia tubers...what was the white powdery stuff on the tubers- a fungicide of some sort? This is my first year growing Dahlia's, so I'm wondering how to store/prepare them when fall arrives.
    I didn't know they needed to be coated with anything, so thanks for any info!

I also received a package of sticky notes, journal!

Thanks so much Carol!

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Deb, I am happy you liked your box, The white stuff is coke.
    a fungicide for bulbs to prevent rot, the way I sent them is my winter storage method, they are great late summer bloomers and cut flowers, the more you cut the more they produce. what kinds of plants do you want? I aim to please
    hugs carol

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Carol,
    LOL!
    I'll take any plants, I'm not picky! I'm still redoing our front landscape (so have plenty of room for anything). I'm sort of going with the cottage garden theme, which is great because almost anything can go in it!

• mellen
    17 years ago

Carol, I didn't get your box out. Ran out of time getting ready for the retirement BBQ we had at our house last night. Had about 30 people here! Due to the long holiday week-end, your box will go out on Tuesday. Promise! My dad has been here while my mom is in Texas with one of my sisters. He has been planting my cannas for me. DH plowed then disked an acre plus for me for my daylilies. In the middle of it for "decoration" he put an old hay rake. I bought a variety of cannas to plant around it which is what my dad did yesterday. Today it rained on and off all day so no work outside. Tomorrow he is planning to plant more cannas around an old John Deere running gear that was my great-grandfather's. Guess where I got my love of gardening? Have a beautiful week-end, my friend. Mary Ellen

• pastvast
    17 years ago

Kelli: I got your package out today. I hope you enjoy the contents!!

Carman: No problem... as you can see, I'm woefully behind this month too!

All: I've got to share my very first Mother's Day (or pre-mother's day, depending on how you look at it). My husband made me homemade blueberry pancakes and brought them to me in bed (where I was still asleep). He also gave me two cards: a really sweet one and a really funny one! And yes, I know not to get too spoiled with that treatment... but I'll enjoy it while I can =)

-Stephanie

• pastvast
    17 years ago

Mellen (and other dahlia-lovers):
    I think the dahlia tubers you gave me last year survived!!!! I finally got around to looking in the bag where I was storing them, and while I definitely could've done a better job of storing them, all 5 of them have "eyes" and one even sprouted a little!! I'm putting them in this weekend. The dahlias were an unexpected favorite last year, so I'm very happy about their survival! Maybe this year I'll even stake them before they get 4' tall =)

-Stephanie

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Shannon, Jeanne and all,

Our SassyD has had a difficult week with the death of her uncle and other things. Earlier this evening, she and hubby received a call that there had been storm damage in the early evening at their river home. She didn't have time to post as they were leaving immediately to check on damage. I hope she won't mind my letting you all know. Shannon, your May pkg. will likely be a bit late.

Everyone please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

~Dee

• bojo96
    17 years ago

Sassy dear...take care and know I'm thinking of you!
    Julie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diane,
    Your in my thoughts and prayers too! Post when you can!

Hugs!

Deb

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

God Bless you Diane, hope all is well....

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

May God bless you during these trying times in your life, Sassy. And know that everyone here is thinking of you.

I received my May package from Shannon today.
    An adorable notepad in the design of a pretty green dress, and a post-it pad that looks like matching shoes. It is so cute. :))
    And some dracaena's. Thank you so much Shannon, I really needed some low-light houseplants, and these will be great. I hope they do well for me, as I seem to have trouble keeping anything alive inside the house; with the exception of golden pothos, and a christmas cactus that looks good but doesn't bloom, lol.

Hope you get your computer problems resolved soon so you can drop me a line sometime. Hope you are doing well, that your ws'ing has been a success, and that the sunroom is coming along well.

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

I received a nice card & package from Giverny yesterday.

She sent me seeds, peat pellets, plant food spikes, organic plant food, garden tool set & plant markers. What a great assortment of garden "must have' things.
    She also sent some "fun" to have things. A beautiful hand painted sign with flowers & Debbie's Garden on it. Last but not least, some yummy chocolate.

Thanks Susan for the great package. I loved all of it. I've started some of the seeds already. I've finished some of the chocolate already. LOL

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

Diane,
    You're in my thought & prayers also.

• skohler
    17 years ago

Carman I do hope you got your package before the weekend .
    I will check conf# tomorrow .
    susie

• mellen
    17 years ago

Carol, Your package is going out in tomorrow's mail. FINALLY!!! Sandlapper Rose, please don't kick me out! Please? I will do better next month, which starts on Thursday! ;p

Mellen/Mary Ellen

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought I posted something here the other day, but I don't see it. Don't worry Mellen, you are still in the group. Things wouldn't be the same without you! This hot weather sure has me slowing down... it is supposed to be a few degrees cooler tomorrow. I try to stay in as much as I can except for mornings and evenings.
    Anyway, if that earlier post shows up, I was asking if anyone has suggestions of what I can put in a tropical garden. It's a little area near our deck - the area I want to plant is a triangle approx. 8 feet x 10 feet x 8 feet. We had large trees there that were taken down. I was thinking of putting a smaller tree or large shrub in there, but decided to try a tropical look instead. So far I have planted a banana tree (doesn't look like it is going to make it), two types of cannas, some ginger, and a daylily. Any suggestions?

{{gwi:1264049}}

• sassyd
    17 years ago

I'd like to give a big thank you to my dear friend Dee first of all for letting you guys know what was going on. And thank you to all of you that cared enough to post concern, I really appreciate it more than you know. This has been a terrible month for myself & family, but thank God it almost over!!!!!! My house did sustain damage, but certainly could have been alot worse, after getting up there we realized a tornada had gone thru. So we're very thankful for no worse damage than we received! I thank you all so very much for caring! I just love my friends here!

So everyone knows....my dear Faint sent me one huge box full of hostas & daylilies! She already knows I'm just so thrilled but I want you all to know it too! I'll have to go check all the names and repost, sorry sweetie, did't get them written down before posting but do have your tags by each plant so I know:)

Shannon....hun I have not forgotten you, please forgive me for this month, I promise, you are getting your box. I shipped it today UPS and also I shipped it 2 day so you should have it on Thursday! I hope so much you like and I promise not to be so late next month. The track # is 1z6408w10252183314 so please watch out for it, you'll want to open it asap....

Jeanne I also apologize to you for being late this month...

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

Dee, your package for June is on its way. Open a.s.a.p.

Finally cooled off the last two days.Finally got out and did some weeding. Along with more planting:)
    Tomorrow is the kids last day of school. Where did the year go?

Jeanne, wish I could help you with some ideas, but don't know much about zone 7. The bed I'm doing right now, anything goes:)Except weeds of course. Just got me another plant to go into it today. Figure when they multiple, than will rearrange if need be. LOL Anyone else got some ideas?

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

Jeanne,
    For my tropical garden I have hibiscus, castor bean, cannas,calla lilies, elephant ears & brugmansia. I want to add some hardy palms, ginger & bananas.

I bring the brugmansia, elephant ears & some of the hibiscus into the garage for the winter so I have those potted. The hardy hibiscus I have in the ground. You're a zone warmer than me so you may be able to have all those in the ground.

• daisy_me
    17 years ago

Well, a day late (and always a dollar short! LOL!).....

I got a wonderful box from Pastvast/Stephanie this week. She went to a swap and picked me up some Toad Lilies and Columbine for my shade garden. Always appreciated! I just expanded one of my shady areas (now that my new deck is finally done! Yippee!) so these will be perfect for that area. Thanks again Stephanie, you always know what to send. :-)

Hope everyone is staying out of the heat. I've been working on a rock garden this week so I've been suffering through our hottest days yet this year. Real smart of me to start this week, huh? LOL! Enjoy June, and try to relax and stay cool. :-)

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received a wonderful box from my pal Mellen, I got a geode!!! I had my male dog check it and he says it hasn't even been wet on. I love it dh took it to work to cut it open on a diamond saw, can't wait to see it. windchimes, squirt guns and a card with miss mellens pic on it, with an afro hair do. I love it all thankyou Mellen

• wynative
    17 years ago

Alicia ~ I recieved my box :) Stickers, stationery, frame magnets and seeds. Love the purple zinna's and morning glories!! But thats not all... a great little garden sign that says "Born to garden, Forced to work" and a massage kit. This will be perfect on Sunday evenings after a weekend of playing in the dirt (GRIN)

Thanks so much, hope you are enjoying yourself.
    Marie

• skohler
    17 years ago

has anyone heard from carmen ?? I'm not going to send a
    JUNE box till I know that she recieved my may box .

so carmen please if you see this post email me to let me know all is well Ok??
    susie

• pastvast
    17 years ago

Susie: I've not heard from Carman either (she's the one who sends me something each month). Like me, she tends to send later in the month... but this is the latest so far. I emailed her last week to find out if she's OK and haven't heard back yet.

-Stephanie

• skohler
    17 years ago

WELL i'M GOING TO HOLD OFF SENDING TO HER TILL i HEAR.
    THANK YOU STEPHANIE FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT.

SUSIE