Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

new: bump's mnf mayday, mayday swap

dan_the_mailman
15 years ago

Hello Everyone! And welcome to the MNF May Swap! Dan is busy with the Blue Seed Swap, so I'm going to host this swap for him. Since this is my first time hosting a swap (has an animal ever done this?), he's agreed to look assist me. So, ready for the rules on this one? I'm going to be changing things just a little, but I think you humans will enjoy it!

Sign-ups for this swap will be until midnight Saturday, May 2nd.

Everyone knows that we cats have 9 lives, so I think it would be nice if everyone sent 9 types of seeds, bulbs, or plants in their box. For example, Linda could send Dan 2 varieties of cosmos, 3 of coneflowers, some daffodil bulbs, 2 wisteria plants, some onions, and some basil, and that would equal 9 types. 2+3+1+1+1+1=9 Or, Wendy could send Fran 9 different types of roses, and that would fulfull her requirement!

Also, since this is a Mayday, Mayday swap, it would be nice if everyone would include at least one helpful item in their box. Some examples of this would be plant markers, a garden journal, a wheelbarrow (just kidding on that one!), plastic seed bags, or a nice set of pruners.

Now, here comes the twist. First, obtain a small flat-rate box from your local post office, if you don't keep them in stock at your house. Then, fill it with the 9 seeds, bulbs, and plants, your helpful item, and then anything else you think would be nice to recieve. Put a small card or note in your box, and seal it up. This all needs to be done by midnight of May 2nd. The idea is for you to NOT KNOW who will receive your box while you are filling it up!

Then, once all the boxes are sealed, I will privately e-mail you the name and address of who you are to send your box to. Sometime between May 4th thru the 9th, mail your box out with a delivery confirmation notice. Post the dc# here on this thread, but DO NOT say who you sent to! That way, everyone will be tracking the packages, wondering which one is coming to them!

Once you receive your box, post the contents and sender here on the swap thread, and also post a note on the rate and review forum for your sender.

MOST IMPORTANTLY... HAVE FUN WITH THIS!!!

============================================================

Here's a list of dates we'll all need to remember for this swap...

APRIL 18th to MAY 2nd: Sign-up and fill a small flat-rate box with goodies. Sign-up here, and send an e-mail to me (using Dan's e-mail address) with your name, address, and garden web name.

MAY 3rd: Receive the name and address of who you are sending your box to. DO NOT TELL ANYONE WHO YOU ARE SENDING TO.

MAY 4th to MAY 9th: Send box with delivery confirmation number, and post the number here on the thread.

UPON RECEIPT OF YOUR BOX: Leave a review in the Rate & Review forum, and post here what your received, and from whom.

Dan said I can offer prizes to the first 3 people who get their boxes sent out. So, let the May(hem) begin! Meow!

-Bump

Comments (147)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

After that story of Diene's, I'm thinking she WAS wishing it was the husband!
    Any time I do laundry, washer OR dryer, I've got to keep checking for Bump. He likes to "inspect" things up close, so before I shut the door and turn the machine on, I have to do a head count. If there aren't two cats in sight, I search until I find them. Stella isn't too much trouble, but with Bump, you never really know.....

And, speaking of the Bumpster, he says to remind everyone that they've got about 42 hours left to sign up and get their boxes ready. He'll be e-mailing everyone with a name and address sometime on Sunday.

Everyone have a great weekend! I'm hoping to attend an art festival tonight in the downtown area!

-Dan(secretary for Bump)

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

MAYDAY MAYDAY!
    Help, Bump!
    I have a problem. One of my own making, I can admit....
    I bought something JUST for this swap, something *I* think is cool...but it WON'T FIT IN THE SMALL FLAT RATE!
    Could I possibly be allowed to send it in the large flat rate box? Pretty please?
    I promise I won't overload the box with other goodies (it'll be hard, but I promise I won't....), just what would fit in the small flat rate (well, besides the thingy...you know what I mean....)
    I *thought* it would fit. Really, I did....otherwise I would've picked up something a bit smaller, but just as nice.

It's not squishable, or else I would try....But it's kinda heavy, so the larger flat rate won't necessarily be costing more. (if that makes sense?)

Oh well....let me know, if you would, please....

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bunny, you may use the large flat rate box if you wish, by all means! That goes for anyone else too! Meow! You silly people, a cat would think you'd been into the catnip or something, the way you all act sometimes! Yes, I know how you all love to break the rules! Don't forget, I've been helping Dan with his garden web swaps since the very beginning, and I like to read these threads while he's gone to work sometimes. You all are SO amusing!!! MEOW!!!

-Bump

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Yep you are the funny one miss bunnykeep your clothes on while doing your may pole dance, or dan will be stalking you and bump will miss him. I'm packing my box and waiting for my name. happy mothers day
    carol

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Dan and Bump,

Sent you a message via GW....let me know if you do not receive!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, I got your message, thank you! I've copied it and sent it to a few of the ladies here to ask their advice, hoping to find a positive solution. I appreciate you giving me the heads up! Thanks! -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The responsibility of a swap host is to provide everyone playing a safe, fun place to swap boxes, relax, and share their common passion of gardening. Different hosts have varying styles, which is why we are able to always keep a fresh, innovative atmosphere here in the MNF group. We don't have a lot of rules here, but we do require that EVERY participant fulfills the requirement of sending a box to someone. After all, who wants to send out a box, and wait in excitement for a return box which never arrives? The answer to that one is... no one.
    Over the last year in which I've been playing here in the MNF swaps, we've all shared a lot of laughs, tears, joy, and heartache. As one of those who've had some heartaches this past year, I can honestly say that if it wasn't for this group of people, I don't think I could have made it through those times. And, in the last year, I've seen that there is a core group of men and women willing to host these swaps. We don't ask anyone to host that doesn't want to. Those of us who do shoulder the task of hosting a swap enjoy it, which is why we do it.
    Today, I received an alert concerning one of the players in this months swap, Jamie Ashcraft, who is currently going by the Garden Web name of ashcraftbunch. I then alerted some of my fellow hosters, and we have acted together today, deciding to ban Jamie from this swap, and any others in the future. Jamie has NOT fulfilled her obligations repeatedly, even going to the extent of using other Garden Web names. She has repeatedly accepted boxes from other people, and has repeatedly NOT sent boxes back. I will be e-mailing a copy of this entry shortly, thus telling her of our decision.
    I also, at this time, am going to publish Jamie's name and address so that anyone from the garden web can come to this thread and get this information for themselves. Hopefully Jamie will not be able to dupe anyone else. I will also provide a link to this message in the rate and review forums so people can access it. This is all done without malice towards Jamie, and she is quite welcome to fulfull her obligations, past and present, to remove this bad reputation she has earned herself.
    -Dan

Here is Jamie's information...
    Jamie Ashcraft
    180 Gun Club Rd
    Oak Grove, LA 71263

• allisonlwise
    14 years ago

Yay! It's partner day. Yippee!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Partner day? what's that? meow! -Bump

Just a little fyi for you all... I didn't realize last night I couldn't post Jamie's full name and address, and I've received a couple of notes from Kat and diene giving me some edumacation, so I've written to the moderators, asking them to remove the entry with her name and address, and to let me know what all we CAN do to make sure she doesn't do any more damage.
    Together we act. Together we learn.
    I want to also publicly thank Annie (canyonwind) for her heads up on the whole thing. If she hadn't, we would have had a messed up swap. As it is now, we can keep moving ahead and enjoy ourselves and all the surprises in store!
    THANKS ANNIE!!!
    Now, was there something I was supposed to do today? Hmmm, anyone know what it was?
    -Dan (SfB)

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Partners?
    PARTNERS??
    PARTNERS PARTNERS PARTNERS?????????

Oh, come on, Bump!
    Let us play...we've been waiting for ages!
    Half a dog year, in fact!
    *evil chuckle*

You deserved that.
    You KNOW you did.
    :P

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know about you people, but when a cat is hurried, well, we just seem to get slower, know what I mean? hehehe
    -Bump

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hmmmm.
    Bump, you kinda remind me of someone....

Anyone else see the resemblance?

Just need a red bow, Bump....
    :P

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

MY box is ready & will head out at 8:30 AM. YAY!
    Here's the DC#-
    0309 0330 0000 5379 3115size>color>

YAY!
    YAY!
    YAY!

Oh. And Bump?
    Don't take the lion thing too seriously, M'Kay?
    I didn't mean it.

*giggle*

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LET THE DANCE BEGIN! YOU'VE ALL BEEN SENT THE NAME & ADDRESS OF WHO YOU ARE TO SEND YOUR BOX TO. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GET IT SO I CAN MAKE SURE YOU ALL GET YOUR NAME.
    NO TELLING WHO YOU ARE SENDING YOUR BOX TO!
    -THE MANAGEMENT

• diene
    14 years ago

I was going to print postage for my box but the USPS website won't let me in which means that everyone else is doing the same thing. I will do it later. Let the fun begin. diene

• divahethr
    14 years ago

It is so hard not to say something and give out clues !!!

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I was so excited to see that I had put things in my swap partners box that they were looking for:0) YEAH... I'll keep it short so that way I don't give any clues.

Denise

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just finished digging out in the yard, bagging up plants for my recipient, and you know something? I have no clue as to whether I've met any of their wants with the seeds and plants I'm sending. And, you know what else? I think I'm going to keep it that way so I can share in the surprise when (s)he gets it all. Being Bumps secretary in this swap has been a lot of fun, but I made him decide who was sending to who, and then e-mail all those addresses out this morning. After all, I wanted to be surprised too!

Now, who is getting the box I'm sending out? Want a clue? Hmmm, well, I know they live north of Mexico and south of Canada. Or is that too much of a hint?
    Stay tuned for the next clue...

-Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hmmmm. That's giving it away, Dan! Shame on you!

That's like saying "The person that I'm sending to lives either west or east of the Mississippi".
    Or maybe "I don't know where it's not or maybe should be".

which, BTW.....they indeed do, and nope I don't...-------------.

• diene
    14 years ago

My person lives west of the Atlantic and east of the Pacific. A mainlander the hawaiians would say.
    diene

• veeja11
    14 years ago

my person lives.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

all I want to know is why is Dan dancing around the Maypole??

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Ugh, which one is Dan? It's hard to tell with all that ribbon and stuff. Is he the one in yellow or pink? ;O

I am being serenaded tonight by an in heat feline and her two boyfriends. They are the neighbors cats (of many generations) that have gone feral.

I mentioned to DH that I was planning on getting a kitten. He didn't take it too well.

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

sniffle... sniffle.... allergies kicking in...

Hi Bump (achoo!)

Got my box ready, and printed the label. here is the DC: 0103 8555 7497 0825 7697.

It is going someplace on planet Earth. I was so glad you didn't give me someone in Canada or Mexico! It would be real hard to get this experiment over the border! It was hard enough to sedate it to put it in the box in the first place!

My box goes out tomorrow morning!

Mark

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Happy mailing day, everyone! Bunny, I also had to move to a bigger box, because some items were just not the right shape. But I tried to keep the filled volume down to what I'm supposed to send, so my box has a bit of air in it also.

Since I have to catch a plane this morning, I searched to find a post office that opened early. Found one that opened at 730am. And in an adventure that I'll only describe as "Rains, Trains, and Automobiles" I still managed to arrived early at 725am. Would you believe I was already the fifth person in line?!? That's NoVa for ya - full of overachievers.

Here's the DC#: 0308 3390 0001 2393 4411

Happy tracking!
    ~CA

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

I am so excited about my partner! I need to finish getting a few other trades together so I can send Cliff to work with an armload of boxes :) So give me a day or so. I have the DC slips here at home, so I'll have a number to post by Wednesday at latest.

Kathy~ off to stuff more things into the box :P Surely that will fit too, right? And this... and oHHHH that will fit... I'm sure I can make it fit! Just gotta move this here, and package that a little different... *wandering off, muttering to self as she shifts things around*

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Uh...I think Dan's the one in purple. Makes his waist look smaller, ya know...And matches his tights.

And my box is flying......to someone with both a first name AND a last name!
    Yay!

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

My box is on its way out too! My Dad is taking it in when he picks up his mail. I brought it over to him last night, so in a couple of hours, I will have a DC# to post.

Happy Tracking!
    Karen

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Here is that number!

DC# 0308 0730 0000 2115 9278

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

here's my number..."sloshing back into the house"...#0308 3390 0000 9953 2765..."singing somewhere over the rainbow"...

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Are you getting this constant deluge too, Linda?

I haven't seen the sun in nearly 2 weeks!
    Had to dry all the plants for my box with towels & a hair dryer. :P

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Here is my DC# for ----:) 0308 0660 0000 0845 8563
    Wet here too.

Denise

• diene
    14 years ago

Hello All;
    I have to admit that I slacked a bit on seeds and then tried to get it together and have a big dilemna. I am a terrible cleaner of seeds. The easy ones I have no problem with but the ones that do not separate easy are beyond my capabilities. So, I will be sending seeds cleaned using diene's special method (which really stinks!!) But they are fresh seeds from my gardens last year so they should be fine.
    I am having a bit of an issue getting things together but I should get it done before deadline.
    All of you well organized people, phooey!!
    diene

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

yeah, rain here too...things are coming up nicely finally though..I have some corn in my wsing containers that are popping out the top! We've been trying to get our veggie garden up,,

• mommyto2
    14 years ago

Please send some of that rain to NC! I haven't seen any rain for 2-3 weeks (I lost count) I'm having to water my plants already with this 90 degree weather :0(

I shipped my box too....DC # 0309 0330 0001 3059 5168 I hope my 'partner' likes it :0)

Monica

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Well...tomorrow should be FUN!
    Is anyone else making a list of all the DC's and tracking them? :O)
    So far, most have been "accepted" but 2 don't exist.

Hope that doesn't mean they've already been lost....!!!
    LOL!

But tomorrow....well, we should see them in a new state, at least!
    Yay!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROTFLMBFHWAO!!! I'm dressed in yellow in that maypole picture! What do you think of my hat???

CONFESSION TIME: Yeah, I'm guilty. I had to use a Large Flat Rate box to mail the stuff out to my recipient. After doing all that digging and bagging up those plants, they just wouldn't fit into anything else smaller. I asked Bump what to do, but he was busy grooming Stella and didn't respond. So, whoever that box is going to will just have to deal with getting a larger box than Bump said to send!

Oh, before I forget, the dc# for my box is 0308 3390 0000 2354 5212.

As for someone keeping a list of the dc#s, aren't we all supposed to be tracking them? I think that was what Bump intended, a bit of mayhem for us all. Now, if someone should feel the need to start such a list, well, it's not going to be me this time. hehehe After all, I got a glimpse of Bump's list this morning! In this case, it's good to be living with the host!

-Dan

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Dear Mother Nature,

I hardly ever complain. I even accept when I cannot manage to get a Bleeding Heart bush to grow from seed or tubers and have finally resolved that I will try a rooted cutting next then finally break down and just buy a large nursery sized one. I diligently tend to you, adding compost, mulch, love, time, seeds and no chemicals. I doggedly pull and dig weeds out rather than resorting to chemicals. I welcome even spiders, which I despise inside the house, as long as they stay outside, I just gently nudge them along rather than squishing them. I spread seeds wherever I go, as often as I can. I have been a really good girl and I am hoping that all of my loving care will earn me a boon.

I ask only this.... stop the rain and save some of it for the summer when I cannot get enough rain. It has been raining almost all day daily for about two weeks now. I really miss the sun and so do my plants. It is for them that I ask, because just like they cannot grow without enough water, with too much water and not enough sun, they don't grow and thrive and give me pretty, sweet smelling flowers, or healthy, tasty veggies for my family.

Sincerely,
    Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Yellow? I never pictured you as a yellow, Dan.
    Maybe mauve or lavender...but never yellow.
    You should rethink your choice....
    Yellow tends to make you look jaundiced.
    Blech.

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

My DC #0307 3330 0001 8134 4312 And I can tell you that it is definitely going to somewhere in the U.S. I think it was going to NC. Or was that PA? No, maybe it was GA. I know. I'm sure it was IL. No that doesn't sound right. Oh well, you'll just have to figure it out. HAPPY TRACKING!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A lot of you people have posted your confirmation numbers like you were supposed to. Meow!!! Clean litter boxes go to the following people...
    antiqueorchid
    lindaruzicka
    kanlena67
    markcase1964
    proudgm_03
    sakura_komichi
    mommyto2
    and a slightly soiled one goes to Dan, who I caught trying to peek at the swap list this morning! MRRRRRR!!!!! No belly rub for him tonight!!!

That's 8 out of 10 on the first day! This is off to a great start! Your owners should be proud of you!
    So tell me, are any of you going crazy yet, trying to figure out which dc# you should be tracking? Hmmm??? Hehehe and meow!
    -Bump

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

SEND ME THE RAIN!!!!!!!!!! I am in NC just like Monica. I haven't had rain for 18 days. It has spit (or maybe the birds are strafing me). No measurable rain in 18 days.

I have three 500 gallon rain barrels. The one is 1/2 empty already! My 55 gallon ones (I have 8 of those) are all 1/2 empty too.

Who wanted that bleeding heart??? Mine did outstanding this year. In the fall, remind me, I'll get you a root cutting.

Mark

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

*pout*
    Where's MY clean litter box?

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Thank YOU!!!!! It just started raining!!!!!!!!

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Dan/Bump - what do you mean 8 out of 10 have posted DC#s? Last I saw the list had 15 participating swappers. Did that many drop out?

Meanwhile, I've started my package tracking. If I get my act together I'll show you all my geeky side.

~CA

• fairyoak
    14 years ago

Hey Guys,
    All us animals at the Fairy Oak Farm are supposed to say that our mom sent out her package today too, tracking # is 03083390000170257419. She would have posted earlier but one of her silly goats got stuck in the fence and almost lost an ear......oh my, she was really stressed there for a minute, (te he...we like to do that)
    Mom hope her package makes it to er, umh, well......somewhere good soon.

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

OK, here's my inner geekiness (and procrastination: I'm stuck in my hotel room avoiding real work)

I found 8 packages in the system. Mine has, over the course of 14 hours, traveled all the way from the city to the 'burbs (the main processing center for the area). So no real clue where that one's going yet (except that I'm pretty sure it's not going to me!). Denise's box made it all the way to another state today - but I don't know that anyone lives in that direction, so she may be trying to throw us off the trail.

Sorry the map is crowded with place names and such. I'm teaching myself how to use this software, and I don't know all the tricks yet. You'll see that so far each box has its own shape/color, and I've drawn an arrow for the direction Denise's box has traveled.

Mostly it's just pinpoints now, but by tomorrow evening we should be seing some good movement!

~CA

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Nice map, CA!

Mark, I was hoping that Mother Nature would send some of the rain elsewhere... now if only she'll listen to my plea for a little sun and saving some of the rain here for the summer!

Well, since it's about 2:45 am, and I'm up again... I figured I'd do something constructive.

Soooo... I decided to make clickable links for all of the DC's that have been posted so far. CA can keep us going with the map and I'll try to keep up with making clickable links for them as the rest come in :)

Melissa 0309 0330 0000 5379 3115
    Mark 0103 8555 7497 0825 7697
    CA 0308 3390 0001 2393 4411
    Karen 0308 0730 0000 2115 9278
    Linda 0308 3390 0000 9953 2765
    Denise 0308 0660 0000 0845 8563
    Monica 0309 0330 0001 3059 5168
    Dan 0308 3390 0000 2354 5212
    Becky 0307 3330 0001 8134 4312
    Kathy 0308 0070 0001 4811 6166

Now mine hasn't actually made it to the PO yet... I have DC slips that I keep at home to save Cliff time when he takes them to work and mails them from the PO he works from.

Sooo, the question begs to be added.. when will it go?

LOL, within the next couple days, but won't it still be fun to track it and find out?

That looks like 10 out of 15 to me, Bump! Not bad for the couple days!

Kathy

• jdkind
    14 years ago

hello all!

My box went out yesterday afternoon

later
    Joseph

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meow! Make a little mistake or two, and you'd think I'd puked in someone's shoe or something! LOL! You people! Actually, the number of players is 18, not 10 like I typed earlier. Things can get a bit confusing or messed up when Stella is wanting to play. Silly kitten!
    I'm going to start a new thread for you all to play in momentarily, so please go to it for further postings.

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED -BUMP