Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap

Posted by fcoffill 7bNC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 16:41

Perennials, bulbs, rhizomes, corms, cuttings and tropicals are all welcome here because....

We've all done it....

Planted too much of our favourite plant?
Sowed way too many seeds?
Bought more bulbs than we needed (and had them multiply!!!!)
Had a small plant take over the garden?

Whatever your garden surplus this is a chance for you to reduce it (or exchange it for a new one) ha ha ha ;)
Plants, bulbs/rhizomes/corms, cuttings, and well established seedlings are welcome in this swap. Perennials, Tropicals, you name it, if you have too much of something maybe we can find a new home for it!

Here is how it works:

1: Sign up between now and April 30th.

2: Tell us about your 'surplus' What is it? Tall, short, tropical, drought tolerant, shade lover, flower or folliage, cottage garden staple. Don't forget to tell us its Zone Hardiness. and anything else you can This swap is about "Surplus", it is not the place for trading your prized plant, It is also not the place for getting rid of the weeds in your lawn!!! Whatever you offer should be something you would like to recieve! No spindly seedlings or mushy bulbs please.... be nice, be generous, the person who recieves your plants may have an opportunity to repay that generosity some day!

Lets find a new home for your DESIREABLE, plant/bulb/rhizome/divisions/cuttings/?"Surplus".

Also, please tell us about your garden, your likes, dislikes, your particular garden challenges. (someone, might have the answer you have been looking for) All of this information will help me to find the best partner for you!

3: On May 1 (or there abouts) I will post swap partners, based on the information that you provide here in this thread (so tell us EVERYTHING)

I will try to match Surplus with people who want it/can use it.

Side trading is encouraged after partners are assigned. Please feel free to wheel and deal, just don't neglect your assigned partner!

I want everyone to have fun, unload some "SURPLUS" plants/divisions/roots/corms/bulbs/whatever and possibly pick up something cool in exchange!

Boxes/Packages containing LIVE PLANTS should be sent PRIORITY MAIL. All packages need to arrive at their new homes by May 30th.(That means they should leave your house no later than the 27th, by Priority Mail) Please post when you send and recieve. Also do consider leaving "APPROPRIATE" feedback in the Rate and Review.

It is your responsibility to ensure that LIVE/VIABLE plant/seeds/cuttings arrive at their new home and that they are what you say they are. If you need help please ask, I am sure someone will be happy to help.

BTW this will be my first time hosting a swap, so do jump in and set me straight if I foul it up!!!

Let the swap begin!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap

I am in!!! Stay out of the lightnening Fran..Be safe!

o

I'm in too Fran.

Sounds like alot of fun for sure!

o

Hey Frances, I would like to join but unfortunately all I have 'surplus' of is Wild Daffodils, Purple Iris, and Orange Daylily, I don't think too many people would be interested in these.

Sounds like a way fun swap though! Hope you get a lot of people to join!

:) Fran

o

Hey Fran!!
;) Save those purple Iris, (are they really purple?) I'll bring you some other colours (if you like Iris) when I see you in May! I have many colours but no purple! (lilac, yellow for sure, some unusual borders) lots of colours no names!

I am bad about the names.....

Welcome everyone, the weather is freaky, I wanna go outside and play!Still too much lightning and now way to see in the swamp that is forming in my back yard! Have a great evening everyone and a great holiday too!

Frances

o

I am IN!! Can't wait. I will post my list of "have's" and "want's" by the end of April. Yeah, can't wait!! :-)

Amy

o

What a bunch of swap-a-holics!!!! I swear, you are all the best (worst) addicts I have ever met!!!! Glad to have you!

Welcome Amy, Regina and Barb we are off to a fine start!

Happy Easter everyone!

Frances

o

i do have a lot of surplus, would love to join...norma

o

I'm IN !!! I'll post my list once I take inventory & see what I have to share.

o

Welcome Norma!

Fran, this swap does not have a mailing date til the end of May (gotta give all those Northern girls a chance to see whats under the snow :O ) and the cut off for sign ups is not till the end of the month!!! You may have mucho surplus before then!

The "Tropical-SubTropical" is stolen from Barb's swap, All types of plants are welcome including Tropicals-Sub Tropicals!

o

Goodmorning!

I would never use the word stolen we are just one happy family of gardeners continiuing our need to share wonderful plants with each other..Lol :) Hi Norma Welcome to the crazy tropical group..Lol Yes we are enablers... Frances is teh biggest one...hahhahah and Regina...

Hey Regina to answer your question from the other thread..Yup I have plumeria from Carol last year... One of them is duke...Al and I say we think that plumie is spirted...It really is haunted..Can we come back as plants..Lol We will be out in the gh and the darn thing will fall and nothing is around it not even a fan...This has happened quite a few times..We cant explain it...It is kinda of scary at times it just plain freaks me out! I emailed Carol about it...hahahha Sending haunted plants out... I will take his picture... He has grown leaps and bounds where my others ones have grown...:)))) Barb

o

I will see then Frances, all of my plants are pretty new except one or two but I could always raid my moms yard! She doesn't need all those plants anyway!
LOL
I sure will give you some of the purple Irises you just have to show up! lol I am not sure how purple they are, I got one set from my neighbor at the old house and the new ones were here at this house when we moved in so were those darn orange daylilies! This is what the lady who lived here before me says they are, I haven't seen any blooms yet but will keep you posted.
There is another little grassy thing growing here that I think looks like grape hyacinth BUT did not see it bloom so I have no idea what it is! I wish it would turn out to be rain lilies but I am sure that is not what they are either.

Anywho, I will let you know. I will have to see what I can confiscate from my mama's yard too. :D

Have a great weekend!

o

Hi Fran Welcome I hope you decide to join us..:) I am just goofing off today and should be sowing seeds...I received some awesome ones from everyone in Connies swap...I took some pictures to share..The plumie is duke and the red and white flower is from our zubababy in a trade we had..There is brendas beuty she is supposed to be getting registered as a new brug from brenda here at Gw.. Those are my new geraniums that made it here during our cold snap and are thriving I thought I was gonna lose them..shooo Oh and maya and snowbank are getting big they are my variegated brugs... Some of my adeniums I grew from seed too.. I just started a whole flat of them... I hope you like my pictures... I wanted to share..:) Well spring is here we set up the fountain..I am so happy we are finally warming up in Wi 60 is great here..Lol

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Wow barb!!! those geraniums are just gorgeous. I love the colour on the leaf!!! I had ivy leaf geraniums in my baskets last year but they got eaten by the sweet potao vines!!! you couldn't see the plants at all except the blooms! (which was still pretty)

Is that a variagated brug!!! gosh those plants are just fabulous (even without flowers!)

I have noticed today that my hibiscus have new growth at the crowns. (Both the hardy and the tropicals) Pobably would not have noticed, but I was about to dump out the pots and there they were!!!

Welcome Chellflower! sorry I missed your post! glad to have you! I hope you are enjoying a pleasant holiday weekend!

anyway, I am trying to look busy, so I'll check back later! So happy to hear that the weather is finally warming up everywhere!

Frances

o

Thanks Frances! :) I am just goofing off and playing with the camera...Ruffle your hair a bit and mist yourself like your swaeting and you will look busy...Lol just kidding :) al is picking up the pooch and I have the house to myself...:) Play time..!

I love the tropical hibiscus I have 5 babies that just came in that one had a bud on it..I hope it doesnt fall off.. Lol on your potatoe vine I dont have too much luck with them..I would love to learn more about them and what they like...:)

Okay here is my last pics I promise..Lol Exotic star amaryllis I think with a baby unsure I am learning on a lot on the hippie forum... I hope it is a baby than I can share with my partner..:)))) Frances did you get your package today in the mail by chance? Barb

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Hey Barb I got the package!!!! wow I cannot believe you got that plant for such a good price!!! I got one smaller from the scorch and burn rack for $5 and it is the white one (always much less expensive than the red and pink!!!!

The coleus is amazing!!!! wow never seen that colour, almost black! The geranium smells so good (the mail carrier was sniffing the box walking up to the door) ha ha ha! the vine had jumped out of its container and done some travelling but was still looking pretty perky!!! They are all bagged and tagged, (I put them in extra large ziplocks filled with moist air) will get them potted up and post some pics.

You really are far to generous! you shouldn't have! Thanks so much, I am glad you did!

Have a happy easter all, I expect to be home nursing a sick spouse tomorrow.... He has caught some sort flu (probably at work) now he is home sharing with me.... ha ha ha

o

I would like to join. Thanks.

o

Happy Easter Everyone from the crazy enabler in hot sunny Florida! Was in the 90's on Saturday. Flipping cold front earlier this week and scorching at the end of it.Sheeeech....

Gorgeous pictures Barb, interesting story about the "haunted plummie". I have had plants jump off the shelf out on the patio before. Or at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
One day I hope to add a verigated brug to my collection, yours was the first time I had seen a good picture of one. Very nice indeed.

Fran hope the spouse feels better soon.

o

Well Good Morning!
we are off to a great start! (considering it is a holiday weekend!) our participants so far.....

fcoffill
rosepedal
ladygreensleeves
dieg01991
ncgardengirl (still thinking)
chellflower
bigmama4ever
divahethr

Tell about your surplus at anytime. Don't forget to mention anything you absolutely don't want (can't use).

Regina, thank you, I hope he gets better soon too! I think I have the GERMS now, hope it passes quickly, I feel terrible!!! eeeeeuuuuuw I hate being sick!

Happy Easter everyone

Frances

o

Barb,
Sweet potato vines just need one thing, SUN. they will grow anywhere and the more you trim them the more they grow!!! they do not need good soil or much watering. Just sun. I started with 4 small pots from Lowes last pring and ended up with baskets full of the stuff! It was just like creeping jenny.... ZOOOOOM! the only difference is sweet potato gets killed back by frost (thank goodness for that)

Speaking of creeping jenny, that stuff is like KUDZU around here!!! whew, I will be more careful this year with the trimmings, a leaf falls to the ground and colonizes overnight!!!

Have a great day!

Frances

o

Happy easter all you silly bunny rabbits..Lol

Frances I hope you allget better quickly...That is rotten you have to be sick on easter...Thank you about the potatoe vines..What is so funny is that wi grows a lot of potatoes...I have a hard time with them..I think it could be the lack of sunlight....

Regina that pond is gonna be faboulous...A waterfall too..:) Keep me in mind and I will send you some cuttings later on...I have tons of brugs I can share with ya as soon as they are a little bigger...:)

Frances I am glad you like them...The name of the coleus is called coco loco lol... And the other plant is called apple scented geranium..It does smell so yummy..I have more in the gh I could share too...:) I need to make a list of what I have...

I am looking for bouganville rooted babies if possible...That is my number one plant I really would like...:) I hope someone can hook up a farm girl...

The new pooch is here..She is smaller than my yorkie poo..She did good last night no crying or wimpering...I feel so bad for her...5 years with her last owner and the hubby said no more dogs...The owner was crying her eyes out al said...Just rotten I tell ya I would get rid of the husband...hhahha She is cute a girlie dog... I thought peanut was girlie but actually she is a rough and tough tom boy...She was raised with bigger dogs that is probably why...Well time fro breakfast...Happy easter to you all and your loved ones...Barb

o

Happy Easter everyone.

Frances, I sent you an eamil. Let me know if it didn't get there. It should though, I am sure I have sent you one through that email account before.
I hope you an hubs both get 100% better soon, it is no fun being sick and on a holiday, well that's just not right!
Drink plenty of fluids and lots of rest!

Barb Great Pics! I love those variegated Brugs, I had one it melted on me. Loved all the ones you posted! So nice, but then all your plants always are! Were's pics of the new poochie?

Regina, nice to see you back, you haven't been as active as you were last summer. Hope you are ready for more swaps, you always boost a thread with your funny comments! Anyway, glad your back.

Amy how are you? Haven't seen you posting much in the last few months either, maybe I am just not reading the threads you have been active in?

Frances, this swap is starting to shape up nicely! Good job!

Ok, well better get moving or things will not get done today! Enjoy your Easter Everyone!

o

Barb, love the photos! Thanks for posting them. I really like the variegated Brug (one of the few items still on my want list). Its leaf colors are similar to one of my variegated Plumerias. And ya gotta love those adeniums (Beware! They are addictive too!, LOL)....I have a tray full of them in my indoor greenhouse - the little guys are so cute!

We have T'storms today for Easter...but they're easing up so I guess our BBQ at my MILaw's is delayed for a few hours and the kids' egg hunting will be a wet one. Oh well...its just water, and at least the temps are warm!
Hope everyone has a wonderfull & blessed Easter weekend!

o

Spent the day with family and friends. Was very pleasant and a nice day enjoyed by all.

Fran sorry to hear that hubs shared the germies with you....I would give them back! Yuk hate being sick.

Barb, I have rooted a few bougies in the past, it takes hard wood cuttings and a great deal of patience to get them to root. I had some rooting on the porch and will have to check them to see if they made it. I can get you cuttings all day long if you want them. I have a few differnet kinds of brugs from cutting swap last fall as well, so maybe when they are bigger we can do a brug swap too.
Good-luck with your new fur baby. I would have a zoo if I could get away with it! I often foster for the shelter until forever homes can be found.

ncgardengirl, I've been around. I don't get in alot of swaps, just a few. Health and family issues prevent me from doing awhole lot at once. So I s p r e a d them out.

Chellflower, there's a verigated plummie? ok I want....lol. Tell me more about that one please. And arent the baby adeniums cute! Theres just something about that little green trunk and two little green leaves that make them adorable. I have a tray full of them too!

Hope everyones Easter was Blessed.

Regina

o

Goodmorning everyone :)

Thank you fran for the nice comment... I hope to have cuttings later on in the growing season...Some brugs can take the heat while others are cool weather growers...Strange seeing how they are the same family...I guess we are kinda like that too..Lol

Chell that plumie does sound neat..I have seen some on the web... I hope the weather cooperated for you in the afternoon less than a month ago we had snow and now on the news we cant burn too dry here..We need rain now..Lol

Frances I hope you are kicking at least today...That sucks being sick especially now spring is here and we can get outside..

Regina sounds great...We can do some trading later on and help each other out... Sounds like you had a wonderful day with family and friends.

I have to clean house today pooey... I will take breaks hahahha :) I have a new gardening buddy she follows me everywhere... My other dogs are fenced in or they would be at the neighbors house...It is gonna be fun having a dog out in the gardens...Al planted candy onions yeasterday and she stayed with him the whole time..Neato' well gonna have mud now....Have a great day everyone...Barb

o
RE: )))))Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap

I am taking my first union break Lol I forgot I have extra cherub brug seed from Karyn she sent me...Mine gernminated yesterday... I have two sets of three each..If any of you would like to send sasbe for them...They make great container brugs...Look them up...Pretty! Darn back to work...Lol

o

Good Morning everyone!!!

Still kicking, but not very enthusiastically. Lucky its sort of grey outside today. I feel like there is a grapefruit lodged in my throat. yuk, hate feeling sick

on a brighter note, the brug seeds I recieved in the seed swap have sprouted and the gloriosa lilies too!!!

Have 'fun' cleaning Barb, this house could definately use some of that!!! The stores will be filled with potted bouganvilla as soon as it gets warm, I was thinking of getting a few baskets, if you don't find some before then, I'll be happy to share!

Fran I got your message, just haven't had the strength to respond yet (will do so shortly)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, my sister is scheduled for surgery this week. She was bumped by a heart transplat this morning. (I guess we can forgive that) the surgeon seems determined to GET THIS DONE so we have high hopes that he will and she will be on the road to recovery soon!

Gotta run, planning to post my 'SURPLUS" this afternoon, been doing inventory (not much strength for anything else) ha ha ha, Hope you all had a pleasant holiday!

Frances

o

Regina, yes there are variegated Plummies, I think they're all from Taiwan....I've seen photos of about 7 different ones. I have three varieties (grafted plants) that I got last Fall on Ebay from a reputable dealer. Brads Buds and Blooms sells them, he has photos on his website, check it out...just be sure not to drool on your keyboard!LOL

Barb, the weater DID cooperate yesterday (thanks!). The T'storms stopped around noon and by 2 pm the ground was dry enough for an egg hunt...of course a little rain could never stop kids from hunting Easter Eggs!!!

Frances, hope you're feeling better real soon!

I should have my list up sometime this week.

Hope everyone had an awesome Easter!!!
Chell

o

Barb, I sent ya a e-mail. I checked the bougie cuttings looks like two might be taking. The stores here all have them in just about every color you could imagine too ranging in 1 gallon pots on up. Mandevillias too, I picked up a red parasol last week that is gorgeous.

Fran, boy I feel for ya....hope you feel better soon. Would warm salt water gargling help with that grapefruit that is lodged in your throat?

Chell, oh man....wiping drool off chin ,before it drips on the laptop. Those plummies are simply beautiful. Fiqures they are grafted too. Thanks so much for the info on the dealer. It's a shame we have to be so careful about who we deal with.

Well off to HD to get stone to lay around the pond, liner arrives tomorrow.

Regina

o

Chell I am glad to hear the weather cooperated...:)

Frances I am glad to see ya up... Tylenol cold and flu tablets you dissolve in water us fantastic...I swear by that stuuf...I think you cant use it though if you have high blood pressure or diabetic..You ask the pharmacy...

Regina I wish they sold those around here Lol I got your email...

Here is the new pooch and the yorkie poo. I finally got around to taking a picture..Snack time did not go well..The yorkie tried stealing the maltese;s treat and it was all out war between the two...I am getting ready to take them on a walk together..Bonding time..Lol

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

hello
I would like to join
of my extras I have
surprise lilies (z5 hardy)
fushias(tropical)
coleus(tropical)
geraniums (hardy & tropical)
yellow bells "esperanza"(tropical)
angel wing and dragon wing bagonias(tropical)
bee balms(z5 hardy)
- very bright pink
- purple
- red
verigated ornamental grass(z5 hardy)
monkey grass(z5 hardy)
spiermint(z5 hardy)
iresin(tropical)
I will not be able to send all these but there will be an asortment of these in the box.
thanks
michelle

o

Hi all!
Just wanted to check in quick to say I'm still here! I've been able to keep up on reading the posts but haven't had a chance to post my own comments lately (not much to say anyway :-).

I am going to start taking inventory this weekend and hopefully get my list of extras posted in the next week or so. I am SUPER excited for this swap!! Thanks for hosting Frances!!

Amy

o

Goodmorning Welcome Michelle...Frances Michelle I think brought up a good point...What size box are we using to trade our items...Only so many plants will fit in a box... I was wondering how that all plays out...Some plants are bigger than others... Do we send all babies so more fit inside... How many plants should we trade? Maybe max of ten plants or how many should we list? Barb ps I hope you are feeling better..:)))

o

Hi Michelle! welcome! cool we have our first surplus list! Please let us know if there is anything you absolutely do no want/cannot use.

Barb what cute doggies! Small too, even I wouldn't be afraid of them! I am feeling better today, but still not out of the woods I think. the grapefruit has shrunk to tennisball size.

Chell I too am glad the weather cooperated and you had a good time with your family!

I have two new sprouts today! "Rubber vine" (can anyone tell me what this is????) I keep searching and all I get is Mandeville. Is this another name for mandeville?

ok here is my Surplus list, Heavy on the "Surplus" light on the "Tropical"

Not too tropical but plenty of surplus!!!! My partner can have their choice of the following (that will fit in a mailer of course)

Tropical (Sub Tropical) These plants are all hardy here.

Canna - Red/Burgundy leaf with green, Red Flower, 5 - 6 feet, lots
Canna - Tall (7-8 feet) red flowered, very large green or green with red border leaf
Caladium - White with green veining and border, 2' possibly "Aaron" 4 corms/bulbs
Hosta - Twist of Lime, mini, lime green, 1 or 2 small div avail
Green EE, small bulbs

Tropical Houseplants

golden pothos (does anyone NOT have a surplus of this)
baby 'monstera' cuttings (I do mean baby, I could probably manage a cutting or two)
Common Jade
Red Flowering Holiday cactus (blooms around thanksgiving)
Rubber Plant - ficus decora 'Burgundy'
Parlour Palm
arrow vine very pretty pale green with pink veining

Cottage Garden Perennial

Lavendar TB-Iris, from an old garden, blooming sized fans
Shasta Daisy Alaska, mature division
Euonymus - Variagated (silvery green with white and pink flashes) Evergreen Shrub quart size, bushy mature size 4 x 4'
Rosa Rugosa Red (actually a deep pink), lightly fragrant EXTREMELY hardy, large single flowered mature plant 5 x 5
Daylily - Kwanso - orange dbl and triple flower, believed to be the oldest cultivated DL in America, 3-4' rapid spreader, perfect for naturalizing
Daffodil for Naturalizing
Hydrangea Nikko Blue
4 o'clocks, mixed, mostly "Broken" colours (I thought these were annuals, planted WAY too many seeds)

Succulent

Autumn Joy Sedum
Coral Sedum (low growing)
Hens&Chicks
BlueSpruce Sedum
Talinium (Jewel of Opar) Seedlings

Most wanted plants

Tropical or 'faux tropical' plants hardy to Zone 7 ha ha ha what a dreamer
Hosta (new obsession) any

Spillers, thrillers and fillers for my porch pots. I actually have lots of spillers, I am really looking for some strong vertical plants that will not get too wide and some fillers that won't melt in the late afternoon heat. (or require daily watering, which is frowned upon here in July/August)

Have a great day everyone!

o
Question

Now that I think about it, Michelle has a good point. She says "I will not be able to send all these but there will be an asortment of these in the box." I just wanted to make sure that I understand because I was thinking the same thing as Michelle. I will post a variety of items that I have for surplus, and then my swap partner will choose what they would like (not necessarily one of everything I have listed). My partner and I will agree on a fair trade base on our surplus lists. Is this the correct understanding? Just wanted to clarify before I post my list. :-)

Amy

o
grrrrrrrrrr

I hadn't really considered that, it didn't occur to me that you all would like EVERYTHING your partner had to offer!!! ha ha ha!!!!

I think that we should be trying to fit inside a large Priority Mail box or FlatRate box as the MAXIMUM size of package. You can squeeze a lot of plants into those boxes. Of course if you can make your partner happy with a smaller box, I say go for it!!! I can send a Medium Priority box almost anywhere in the country for under $8.

You probably will not be sending to the same person who sends to you. I will try to make the best matches based on haves and wants. But the details will have to be worked out by the individuals! I wanted to keep costs down for everyone and keep it simple for me (selfish selfish selfish I know) the hostess.

And remember side trades are encouraged!

Frances

o

Okay going off the top of my head....

Anemone Coronaria st bridgid mix 5 bulbs comm
Anemone Coronaria deCaen 5 bulbs comm
Acidanthera bulbs used but re grew for me :)
Coleus Alabama sunset rooted
Coleus Cococ Loco rooted
Apple scented geranium rooted
Cutting un rooted of patchouli I am trying to root one now
Cutting of Thompsoni abuliton you root it doesnt like me
Baby adenium seedling
William languth variegated geranium rooted cutting
White iris from old garden too :) No name
Citranella (sp) unrooted cutting scented geranium
Variegated un rooted scented geranium
Johnson blue Geranium plant start
Orchid blue 1st year seedling Hardy Geranium
Baby EE
Un rooted cutting of raspberry ripple geranium My fav

I have lots of ferns but I dont know if they will be up or not same with my perinals (sp) I will list more later...

I am looking for anything not picky...BOUGANVILLE especially looking for..hahahahh Lol

o
RE:)))) Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap

Okay here is my lsat have list....

White ginger
Strawberry Quinat everbearing
Viola Coruta Rebecca
Concord grape spiderwort
Charmed wine oxalis
Green oxalis with dainty pink flowers beutiful
Hermans pride laminum
Drumgs along the mohawk pod x Websters pink daylilly seedling
Custard candy x idas majic daylily seedling
Flamenco brug if it stays small to ship
Jatropha Multifeda seedling
Freckles coleus cutting un rooted
Coleus Cococ Loco rooted
Baby adenium seedling
Baby EE

My plants outside will not be ready..So my partner can choose from this list...Have a good day everybody..Barb

o

Yippee!!!! look at all of that 'surplus' funny, if you asked me I would have said I didn't have many plants, this was a real good excuse to go out and look at what I have (there is a lot!!!) 2 1/2 years ago we moved here and there was nothing now there are hundreds of plants and shrubs!

other good news, my Brugmansia is not dead! It survived winter in the ground (with a lot of mulch) the first shoots at the crown are about 2 inches tall!

Well off to rest my aching head...

Frances

o

hello
I forgot a wants list huh??
well my most wanted right now is
daylilies(named or unamed is fine,no plain yellow or orange please.)
hostas any
butterfly bushes(they are only marginaly hardy here and the last 2 winters have nocked off all mine)
summer flowering shrubs hardy to zone 5
asiatic/oriental lilies any
well I think thats all not to picky rilly
I will be sending a large flat rate box($9 something to send) I can usualy fit quite a bit in the tall skinny one.
I rilly don't want seedlings, I have had bad luck they seem to always get mashed, now last years winter sowed babies would be fine and sturdy enough.
thanks and have a good night
michelle

o

Good morning everyone!

Think I am finally rejoining the living. Can't remember when I have had a nastier bug... still feel very tired, but better everyday. We are supposed to have temps in the 70's today so I am planning on a little quality 'garden time'

Hope you are all finding some time for your own favorite things!

Michelle, butterfly bushes have been evergreen here until this year, but the snow and cold made them quite ugly this year. I cropped them back to about 4 inches above the crown and they are coming back up now.

I love reading about other people's gardens and the plants they grow. It encourages me to try new things and learn about new plants.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Looking forward to those lists!

Frances

Current Participation List

fcoffill - SURPLUS Posted
rosepedal - SURPLUS Posted
ladygreensleeves
dieg01991
chellflower
bigmama4ever
divahethr
micyrey - SURPLUS Posted

o

I have decided I have to join in too. I was going to resist because of everything going on, but I just can't. LOL I will have to check and see what I have that I can list, some things are slow to come back out this spring.
Thanks, Linda

o

Linda WELCOME!!!

I am glad you have decided to join! (the swapaholics/plantiholics nonanon) ha ha ha! I think we all have too much going on at the moment, but a little informal swapping is a pleasant distraction!

I know what you mean about some things being very slow to emerge this year, must be the late cold/wet we have been having.

Look forward to your list

Frances

ladygreensleeves
dieg01991
chellflower
bigmama4ever
divahethr
micyrey - SURPLUS Posted
ibartoo

o

Fran, happy to hear your walking amoung the living again....lol. Sounds like you had a real nasty bug there.Good news about your Brug too! Mines in bloom again! I will have to offer some of it in the swap.

I'm waiting to post my list till after this weekend. Going to a big plant swap on Sunday and no telling what all I could end up bringing home with me. Plants have a way of mysteriously finding there way into your car....lol. It's a wonderful group of people that gets together twice a year for a bar-b-que, plant swapping and fun.

I like seeing what others grow too Fran. It amazes me at some of the plants we collect over time. My biggest collection is Hoya's. I have 21 different varieties. I fell in love with my first one as a young child. It was my moms and it was in bloom and I never forgot those umbels of flowers it would get. Mom gave me a piece of her Hoya this past Febuary to add to my collection.

Regina

o

Good Morning !

The sun is shining! Have to squeeze in a few hours of work before I go outside. But its a beaut!

Regina
Sounds like a lot of fun! other than passing plants back and forth across the fence I have not done a 'Plant Swap', but I plan to next month, nice to get together with folks that share my hobby (obsession?) Talk, swap plants, experience.... looking forward to it! Wow your Brug is blooming!!! They don't bloom outside here until mid summer. Then the will continue to frost. This is my first one, I am almost surprised that it survived winter. But the man I bouth it from had dozens of them and not a green house in site!

I don't remember my first plant, might have been a lipstick plant, i have gone through several obsessions over the year, but usually come back to tropical folliage.
Oh well best get som work done before I have to run outside and see whats bloomin

Frances

o

Hi Everbody!

Been playing outside it is 70.7 right now...I hauled the plants out to hang outside...That was a job..LOL Just wanted to pop in and say Howdy! :)))

o

Wow 70 in WI!! We can barley get to 60 I wish I understood this crazy weather we are normally in summer now? lol I wish my plants would pop up then I cold trade more.
Apricot fall daisy mums (lots)
Aurea marginata hosta (lots)
elderberries
raspberries
bamboo
"walker's low" catmint (rooting)
"wild thing sage" salvia (has roots)
croton "andrew"
hardy cactus opuntia (lots)
not so hardy cactus opuntia (lots)
variegated vinca minor (lots)
white rose of sharon (lots)
"happy returns" daylily
"catherine woodbury" daylily
"autumn red" daylily
horseradish
that's all I can think of right now I have more the weather is just not cooperating I tried to list stuff I had lots of
I'm not picky I like most perennials flowery bushes and edibles things or anything I don't have.

o

I am BACK!!!!!

still weak, but on the mend.... sometimes I swear men do this on purpose.... they refuse to admit they are sick until they have infected every living organism with in 50 miles......... ha ha ha....

Oh well, so far the "surplus" is looking good.... how about this, everyone send to me and I'll send y'all a nice thank you card!!!! ha ha ha, just kidding.... I already have more plants than I can possibly nurture (and the APHIDS have arrived) hate those nasty little sap sucking little buggers

Planted 3 of my own little rosebushes today, am exhausted (and dirty) and wondering what to do with the 50 or 60 lbs of gravel that came out of the holes.....

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!!

Frances

o

Hi everyone,
Here is my list of HAVES:

Aeonium zwartkop
Aloe Vera (pup)
Arrow vine
Asparagus Fern
Bloodleaf Variegated 'Iresine herbstii'
Chinese Evergreen (solid green leaves)
Chinese Evergreen, Painted Drop-Tongue
Christmas cactus (hot pink and white flowers)
Christmas cactus (solid hot pink flowers)
Cuban oregano (variegated)
Dumbcane
Graptopetalum pentandrum superbum (succulent)
Isrine purple
Ivy (large green leaf)
Ivy (small green leaf)
Jade Plant (green)
Pathos (green)
Pathos (golden)
Peperomia species (NOID)
Polka Dot Plant
Pregnant onion
Purple Queen
Purple Velvet
Spider plant (green)
spider plant (white center w/green molting)
Sunrise plant (Anacampseros telephiastrum 'variegata')
Swedish Ivy
Wandering jew (purple & silver)
Wandering jew (green)

***Unrooted cuttings:
African Violet (white, pink or purple)
Bolivian Jew
Euphorbia trigona
Fuchsia 'Shadow Dancer Betty"
Goldfish plant orange flowers
Heart leaf philodendron
Kalanchoe (Mother of Thousands - red flowers)
Lipstick plant (red flowers)
Star Jasmine

***BULBS:
Canna lily (green leaf w/red flowers)
Canna lily (burgundy leaf w/red flowers)

Please see my trade list for my list of wants, it is up to date. Also, I have a link to a picture of the mother plant for most of the plants on my have's list of my trade page.

Amy

o

Hi again everyone. I had to do a quick post of my lists before and now I'm back to tell you the rest. As you can see, most of the plants I have to trade right now are houseplants/tropicals. I'm not sure of the zone hardiness on the tropicals (sorry) but I can tell you one thing, they are not zone 4 hardy! lol.

As for my garden and desires...right now I would prefer to receive tropicals/houseplants. I am limited on space in my garden right now and, since everything is just starting to grow, I'm not sure what will come back just yet. I can also receive tropical bulbs which can be easily stored over winter. One thing that I would like for my garden outside is zone 4 hardy cactus and/or succulents. Last year I started a rock garden and I have some hens and chicks in there now and would love to add to it. My wants list is up to date (and very long) so check it out for more details :-).

Hope I got all of the information we need to post. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

Amy A-z

o

Hi - Hope, I am not toooooo late for this swap! tina_2

o

Good Morning All!!!

Tina_2, WELCOME!!!
still lots of room here! Jump right in!

Amy
great List!!! lots of your "Houseplants" are perfectly happy outside where I live as tender perennials! I learn more and more every year how different a few Zones can make!

ladygreensleeves
dieg01991 - SURPLUS POSTED
chellflower
bigmama4ever
divahethr SURPLUS POSTED
micyrey - SURPLUS Posted
ibartoo
Tina_2

Have a great day everyone!!!

Frances

o

Hi Everybody!

Amy that is some list yummy :)

Frances I am glad you are on the mend :)

Hi Tina Welcome!

High pressure system still here..The weather is beautiful..We hit 78 yesterday I just love it... Time to get back out to the gardens...We are planting taters in one of them today...Yummy Have a great day everybody...

o

Barb! I am jealous, I think you must be having better weather than we are !!! I agree potatoes are yummy! I wish I had more room for veggies... can't imagine there would be room for root crops down there with the OAK tree roots even if we had more sun!

My Iris have started blooming (Dutch and TallBearded) all of my rose bushes have fat buds too! I think I am starting to like roses! So far I only have a few but I really love them. (Don't expect to be growing Hybrid Teas anytime soon) but the shrubs and ramblers I have now are really making an impression.

Well I guess its time to get outside myself! Have a good one everyone!

Frances

o

I'm sweating by butt off and I was wondering can we add to the list. I think more stuff can come available. Do we let our partner pick what they want if they do not want certain things I think I can add more stuff. Feels like summer for the first time today. Hot and muggy not spring time fresh. I don't feel too bad went to the Virginia Living Museum for their native plant sale and usually their passion vines are growing in the medians and I didn't see any today and one of mine is poking it's head out finally.

o

divahethr, oh no not summer already! I am not ready for hot!!!

I think we should let our partner decide what they would like from our list, so yes by all means go ahead and add what you like! I expect it is going to be tough to make matches, but I will do my best and then leave the 'details' (what/how much etc) up to the individuals.

I just found two blooms on my Fireworks Clematis! Yippee!!! the rabbits didn't get them this year!

Frances

o

ok I gotst additions. Wasn't I complaining of the weather being too cold. I shut my mouth. I'm sweating (*&$#&*@#^&*^@#.
meyer lemon seedling
purple orchid tree seedling
stevia seedlings

o
RE: okay, here's my lists.......

Hi - Okay, I have my garden description and such and
all my lists.
I think, I pretty much followed all the rules so far. Anyway, I am sure someone will correct me if I went amiss!

So - here goes:

Hi - I think , I have a cottagey type garden.
It's a blend of flowering perennials, tropicals ,
reseeding annuals,ground covers, herbs, etc......
I enjoy fragrant, flowering, variegated and the
good ole regular everyday plants as well.
I don't see why, I shouldn't plant my variegated
cannas next to my artemesia and daylilys. I feel,
all plants can be together in a garden .....somehow.
I enjoy, watching the goldfinches and cardinals at
the feeders. And the little hummingbirds, at the wild foxglove and salvia feeding and searching. As well as
a few lizards that find bugs and good stuff in my garden along with the monarch butterflies and the ladybugs that are always on watch. And even those pesky squirrels, always trying to dig up my bulbs, etc. Plus, I am always looking for the big ole bumble bees, pollenating and
doing there jobs.
My garden, is very relaxing to me and my grandson enjoys it too! I love, trading plants and meeting other gardeners.

Anyway , here is a list of what I have that will be trimmed back. So, these cuttings, prunings , surplus
could be of use for someone willing to experiment!

"these are for sun>

tall white flowering mock orange bush, it's the
first plant to flower in my garden, the flowers have
a very light fragrance, perennial.

tall white flowering privet shrub,the fragrant
flowers remind me of a soft honeysuckle scent,perennial.

tall red flowering oleander bush, has no smell but
the flower are striking, perennial.
" all of these shrubs make a great screen, in case
you need some privacy >

short spreading artemesia, it's a silver color,
not sure of the name, perennial.

short ground cover, sedum has a small yellow
flower, perennial.

short , spreading red floweing salvia, perennial.

tall fragrant red rose bush, has large full and beautiful flowers, perennial.

tall fragrant white rose bush, has very full fragrant beautiful flowers, perennial - it's a climber

" these are cuttings for shade >

short ground cover ,vinca vine green leaves with
cream edges, make deep blue flowers, evergreen -
perennial.

*** Now , here are the plants, cuttings, bulbs -
I have available for the swap:

*** these are for sun ***

All of these are plants , unless my trade
partner would prefer cuttings.

short, no id. crocosmia bulbs, perennial.

short ,no id. peach daylilys bulbs, perennial.

short has pink flowers, soapwort cascades,
perennial.

tall blue mist plant, has blue flowers,
perennial.

tall mexican petunias, has purple flowers,
reseeding annual.

tall jewel of opar, has pink flowers that look
like little stars, foliage is like a succulent,
reseeding annual.

tall dark no id. " almost black leaf > cannas,
has red flowers. perennial.

This will include any of the cuttings of the
pruning list or surplus.

*** Here is the list of plants I am looking for *** :
anything fragrant, variegated and flowering -
and most Especially tropicals!

clerodendrons.

brugs.

ti plants.

fragrant snail vine.

variegated philos or house plants..

variegated plants and vines.

bananas, all , any.

tropical monstera, houseplants.

variegated ivys.

hydrangeas, including the oak leaf type.

hardy clematis vines.
oh, did I mention bananas?

mexican breadfruit/ monstera deliciosa.

any plumerias.

tropical coral vine / antigonon leptopus .

any hoyas.

persicaria ''red dragon'' plant.

any calla lilies.

any cyclamen bulbs.

any tropical gingers.

any hostas.

And I enjoy cuttings with instructions.
Please email me with any questions....

I hope we all have fun and enjoy this wonderful
adventure together! thanks - tina_2

bfly tina

o

Good morning everyone, I hope you are all enjoying some wonderful spring weather this weekend! It has been near perfect here. Of course the tree pollen counts are so high... ho hum.... Still it is irresistable~ Sun, flowers..... aaaaaahhhh

Tina 2 fabulous list, thanks so much for tellng us about your garden! Sounds like my kind of place!

Divahethr never complain about the weather (no matter what), might get something worse!!! ha ha ha

Looks like we might get a little rain today, I hope so. (drown a few caterpillars and aphids). Everylittle bit helps (wasn't I complaing about rain a few weeks ago) hmmm.

I am thinking about moving some of my cannas to strategic spots to give me a bit more privacy in my yard.... anyone have any idea how much shade they will tolerate? Not deep shade, both spots get a few hours of full sun and then bright filtered light the rest of the day. Will this work?

Have a great day everyone

Frances

o

I have canna that only get morning sun, shade the rest of the day they do ok. The no id have popped up but the tropicanna are awol.

o

Goodmorning!

Tina I will email you later... Wonderful list too..:)

Frances I am thinking they should do okay...I think.. I have some that I sent you a while back and they live in a partly shaded yard and grow big...Those will do okay...

Made a new brug bed yesterday... I cant wait to get these out growing what a pain to haul them in and out...Lol

Well we should be getting some much needed rain this week..Maybe the grass will green up..:)

Heather stay cool... That native plant sale sounds neat! I am looking forward to our master gardners plant sale here in a few weeks...Frances that is where those cannas came from... I will be probably adding to my list too...We are having a unusually warm spring and the plants are coming alive early...Yippe Yahoo

Have you all ever seen Iris violet beauty in person? Oh my goodness I am in love..Lol they are minature iris they aer adorable and pack a lot of punch... I traded all of them off last year except fro 5 bulbs now I wished I would have kept them...Oh well they are bringing someone else smiles too... I didnt know iris could come that small..Lol

o

Neither of the two spots I have in mind for the cannas is dark shade, both will get some direct morning sun and then bright filtered light for the rest of the day. I just wanted to be sure.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens had their plant sale this weekend, but I forgot :( oh well next year~~ (Like I really need more plants.

I just made a swap for some Brug cuttings (I know I have lost my mind) I hope to use them in my 'patio' pots. I told the guy I wasn't picky, he seemed to have a good selection and will send them labeled. Very nice guy. If anyone is interested he has a post on the Brug Exhange

Anyway better run, work to do, had planned to wash the windows today, looks like rain, but I am sure there is something else that needs doing

Frances

o

Hi everyone,
The weather has been nice here for a few days. I hauled a bunch of plants out to enjoy the nice weather, only to have to haul them all in again tonight since it'll get down into the low 30's...boo hoo! Oh well, it's only a matter of time before they will be able to stay out for the summer!

Great lists so far!
Amy

o

Lurking lurking...I wish I knew the forum name of the brug guy!
By the way This swap is very veeery interesting. Chris

o

Aloha, all. I see a mention of oleanders in this thread, and I have an important request to make about oleanders. :)

On behalf of the nation's beekeepers, I would like to request that we Gardenwebbers PLEASE do not plant any more oleanders.

Please, pass along word that we gardeners need to stop the spread of oleanders, if we wish to save our declining bees and the crops they pollinate-- such as fruits and nuts.

Honeybees are currently threatened by Colony Collapse Disorder, and the bees need our help!

Oleanders kill off beehives. Also, one in 3 foods we currently eat depends on bees. In light of this, it would be best for the future of our nation, if anyone who currently has oleanders on their property would please remove and destroy their oleander(s) and then re-plant the space with a different perennial.

You see, I used to be a home beekeeper when I lived in Zone8, rural TX. I found out in a very sad way, that oleanders are toxic for honeybees and for other native bees. My hive was killed off by a single oleander bush growing about 1 mile from my home in someone's residential lot.

When I told the homeowner their oleander had killed my beehive, they told me that I was making this up. So, a few days later, I had our local master beekeeper go talk to him with me about oleanders and bees.

The homeowner actually said angrily that the master beekeeper was probably wrong about oleanders and bees! Then, possibly realizing how dumb that sounded, he said that even if oleanders do kill bees, he didn't care about other peoples' bees. Then, we tried to explain the bigger picture about why bees mattered even to him, the fact that his family eats foods such as fruit and nuts that require bees... but we got the door shut in our faces. :(

The Bigger Picture:

Why does this matter? Because pollinating bees are a key component in producing as much as one-third of our food supply, including fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

1 out of 3 foods we eat require bee pollination to grow, so we gardeners also need to help save the bees! If we gardeners don't help save the bees, nobody else is going to save the bees for us. And if no action is taken, lots of delicious foods are threatened with extinction.

The flowers of oleanders are very toxic to bees... They produce a lot of nectar which attracts the bees, but the poor bees do not realize that the nectar contains oleander poison!

So then they carry the poisonous oleander nectar back to the hive, and the hive dies!

Oleander poisoning of beehives is particularly an increasing problem in Texas, Florida, California, Hawaii, and any warm-climate USA areas where oleanders are popular for landscapes.

o

Tina_2... In addition to seeking your help with the honeybees and oleander problem, I am also offering you a gift.

I can send you Ti plant cuttings (solid green, solid red, and variegated red/green), a few tropical Ginger starts, and also some fresh Kona coffee seeds (just for fun).

The Gingers I can send include butterfly ginger (Hedychium coronarium), a small start of variegated ginger (Alpinia sanderae), and a Blue ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora) which isn't a true ginger but is lovely. :)

If you can afford to cover the postage for these tropicals, that'd be great. Otherwise, I will come up with the postage money and consider it a charitable donation to help Save the Bees!

I don't want to receive plants in this swap. Looks like I'll soon be moving into an apt. with very little gardening space.

I will make offers to people in this swap though, because I have to re-home most of my tropicals.
No space to put them in! Will be downsizing from my current 10'x10' patio garden, to just a few feet of porch.

So, no new plants for me, not until I can get a community garden plot, or find a neighbor with some open space who'll share their ground with me in exchange for lovely tropical flowers and homegrown organic food.

o

A few spring photos!
(trying this photobucket thing :O)
Amethyst Mist

Sweet William
TBIris Unusual Colour
Clematis
spring flower bloom purple
Dutch Iris

o

Wants: No plants at this time, but will happily accept seeds, if the seeds are heirloom edibles, or are on my GW want list.

My Excess to Share (Will send plants, if you cover the postage).

These must ship out fast, since I'm moving and need to be out of here in 4 days. To speed the process, the same person may even claim several different offers below, if they are willing to cover all necessary postage! :)

Ti plant cuttings and Tropical Ginger starts- offered to Tina_2. If Tina_2 does not accept the offer within 3 days of this posting, then they will be available to whoever asks for them next.

Walking Iris (Neomarica gracilis) and Anthurium 'White Gemini' starts. 2 offers...Each offer contains a baby Iris fan and one start of 'White Gemini' anthurium. The Neomarica is a lovely white/blue bicolor, and is drought tolerant. The Anthurium is not at all drought tolerant, but does great in moist shade or indoors.

Fresh Kona coffee and Bitter Melon/Balsam Apple (Momordica charantia)seeds. 2 offers. Ten fresh coffee seeds, and ten Momordica seeds will go to each person.
Kona coffee (Coffeea arabica var. 'Kona') Coffee could be the most used plant in the world, yet many people don't even know what it looks like. It is a beautiful plant with glossy dark green leaves and petite, lightly fragrant white flowers. It is in the Rubiaceae family with Gardenia. It requires acidic soil just like Gardenia and will not do well with anything else. Frost and direct hot sunny spots will do damage. Does well as an indoor tropical and has been grown as an office plant even as far north as Canada.

Momordica charantia- Grown by Jefferson at Monticello for medicinal virtue as well as ornamental value. This fascinating edible and medicinal heirloom vine is also an entertaining ornamental to grow with kids. Its orange fruits literally explode when ripe!! :)

White Bacopa (Sutera cordata), Tricolor Perilla 'Magellanica' and Asarina scandens (purple flowered), unrooted cuttings. Good for pots, terraces, hanging baskets, etc. These plants root very easily! One offer, 3 or 4 cuttings of all 3 plants.

Variegated Cuban Oregano (Plectranthus amboinicus 'variegatus') unrooted and Variegated Pineapple Mint (Mentha suaveolens 'variegata') unrooted cuttings. Both of these root very easily!
2 offers, 4 cuttings of each plant per person.

Agapanthus 'Storm Cloud' divisions- 2 offers, 2 divisions per person.

That's all for now. Might come up with more offers as the moving process continues- Depends on how much I can squeeze into my new place. :)

o

Hi Everybody!

Fran love the pics...The first iris is beautiful..I love its color.....

Wow that is a generous offer :) What kind of postage are you looking for???? I would like a offer for my greenhouse...:)

We finally received some rain..So far a whole inch...:) Made potatoe salad for dinner..It just sounded yummy...

o

grovespirit

I am very interested in your agapanthus and will send postage via mail or Paypal. Sorry to hear that you are moving and must downsize your already small garden space.

I understand your frustration trying to explain to some people the impact that their plants have on others, Oleander is not considered hardy in my area and I was not aware of the risk, but I had recently been told that the same was true of Carolina Jessamine, which is a very popular flowering vine in this area.

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

Frances

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap seeds

I forgot to tell you I have the Listada de Gandia that you are looking for from seedsavers.... Barb

o

Hello everyone.....finally have a chance to sit a spell and catch up. Interesting info grovespirit. I knew that Oleander was poisonous but never knew it was deadly to bees as well. It's amazing how many use it as a landscaping hedge here in Florida.

The pond is in!!! And many Thanks to fellow GW'ers who provided me with seed and plants it looks pretty doggone good too! From the Tropical seed swap I received some lotus seed that I started in some cups than moved outside into a rain barrel until today. From the plant swap yesterday, I received Waterlilies,floating Fern, Fiber Obtic, Reed, EE's,Canna's,Snowflake, and a couple others whos names escape me right now. I bought two Calla Lily today to put in as well. And some fish to eat any skeeters that decide to breed in it! We don't breed skeeters! No way no how!

Ok and now for the moment ya'll have been waiting for.....drum roll please.........

Here is my have list for the swap:

Clerodendrum 'Uandense' Butterfly Bush....rooted
Clerodendrum 'Quadriloculare' Starburst...rooted
Clerodendrum 'Tomsonice' Bleeding Heart....cuttings
Penta's 'Lanceslata' in red & hot pink....cuttings
Mandevilla's yellow rotted...pink,white,red cuttings
Cherry Jubilee Allamanda 'Allamanda Cathartica'...cuttings
Dwarf'Allamanda schottii 'Compacta' yellow.... cuttings
Gardenia 'Glazerii' .....rooted
Gardenia 'Florida' .....cuttings
Angel Trumpet 'Brugmansia suaveolens' white....rooted
Shell Ginger verigated 'Alpinia zerumbet'...rhizomes
Spice Ginger 'Zingiber officinale'....rhizomes
Hibiscus 'Rosa-Sinensis'.....cuttings
Hibiscus white/pink throat....cuttings
Jasmine vine....noid....rooted
Lady Margaret Passionvine.....cuttings
Sky Vine 'Thunbergia'.....cuttings
Purple(Blackie)Sweet potatoe vine.....rooted
Plumbago 'Auriculata' rooted & cuttings
Blue Porterweed 'stachytarpheta jamaicensis'....cuttings
Staghorn Fern 'Platycerium holtummii' ready to mount
Elephant Ear 'Colocasis' will get big
Song-of-India 'Dracaena reflexa'.....rooted
Arelia "Balflouriana'....rooted
Spinach Tree 'Crinoscolus chayamansa'....rooted
Banana pup 'Dwarf Cavish'.....rooted
Walking Iris yellow 'Neomarica longifolia'....fans
Concord grape Spiderwort 'Tradescantia'....rooted
Coleus'Solenostemmons'Chocolate mint,Henna,Duckfoot,noids
Desert Rose 'Adenium Obesum' noid seedling babies
Kalanchoe 'crassulaceae family' have several colors
Rhipsalis "eliplica","Trail",...rooted,have noids too
Night Blooming Cereus 'Selenicereus grandiflorus..cutting
Zigos's "Sunrise"-pink.....cuttings
Zigo "Christmas" -white,red....cuttings
Carrion plant 'Stepelia Grandifloria'....rooted
yucca pups.....rooted
Jade 'Crassula Ovata'....rooted
Episcia dianthiflora...little plantlets, roots easily
Hoya's for Hoya's I dont have, may or may not be rooted
Gladiolus fringe mix bulbs.....10
Crinium lily 'Crinum asiaticum' bulbs....sprouting now
Spanish Thyme 'Plectranthus amboinicus' I have verigated & non also know as cuban oragano....rooted

Most everything is concidered a tropical, there are some perennials in there as well as some house plants.
As for my wants anything I dont already have.....lol

o

Hi grovespirit - What a generous offer! I do accept and have just sent you an email. Please send an email to advise me , as to how we can make this happen. Thank you, so very much. tina_2

o
RE: questions....

Hi - I forgot to ask. If we see that our partner may want some seeds also, is that allowed ?
I always try to check every area before I swap and make sure my partner gets all that is wanted.
Ps. I do love all the plant pics. And is that a clematis vine and blue bog iris - I see ???
Thank you. tina_2

o

Hi all,

We had an Oleander when I was about 3-5 yrs old..I remember Mama telling me that it was poisonous, but would never have guessed that its nectar could harm bees. Thanks for that info Grovespirit....I will be sure to spread the word! I would love Ti cuttings/Ginger starts for postage if they are not claimed by the deadline. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be moving to a place with even less garden space....if you need any indoor houseplant starts for your new place, let me know.

LadyGreensleeves, that is a very extensive list you have there! I would love to see pics of your garden-it must be beautiful!

Frances, wonderful photos! Love the Heuchera and Clematis!

Today was lovely...70s and sunny! Got some yard work done, but still alot left to do!

Y'all have a great evening!
Chell

o

Goodmorning every one!!!!

Glad you enjoyed my spring flowers! Sorry about the size of the photos, first time I have used anything like photobucket. it doesn''t resize automatically. will try to get it right next time.

Regina fabulous list!!! Sounds like you have a busy and productive weekend!

tina_2 You may send seeds from your partner's wish list if you have them and would like to share! I always check my partner's list when swapping to see if I have something else they are wanting/needing.....

Barb may be right.... I might be an 'enabler'! ha ha ha

growlikecrazy - mantorvillain is the name of the brug guy. We exchanged a few messages he seems very nice. I am not a regular at the Brugs area of this site. So that is about all I know.

sign up is open till the end of the month. Still some time to decide. Hope you will join us

I may decide to close signups and assign partners early if we don't get any new signups this week. Just a few more lists to go from the current participants!!! and what fabulous lists we have!

ladygreensleeves - SURPLUS POSTED
chellflower
bigmama4ever
divahethr SURPLUS POSTED
micyrey - SURPLUS Posted
ibartoo
Tina_2 SURPLUS POSTED

Surplus Plants for Postage
grovespirit - SURPLUS POSTED

Undecided
grolikecrazy
ncgardengirl

Enjoy your morning everyone!

Frances

o

Hi all!
grovespirit, good luck on your move. I am very interested in the Ti plant, Anthurium and Tricolor Perilla 'Magellanica'. Let me know how you want to do it.

Fran, your pictures are beautiful!! I can't wait for stuff to start blooming up here!!

Regina, congrats on the pond!!! You have to post pictures for us to see!! Your trade list is very nice, I'm drooling on my keyboard! :-)

The sun's out today but it's a bit on the chilly side. It's supposed to get up to 80 tomorrow, WOW!

Have a great day everyone.
Amy

o

Hi all. I don't know about anyone else but , the things listed so far have me drooling.lol
I really, should go get a bib !
Thanks, for posting the great pictures also. tina_2

o

oh tina me too... drool, droool, drooooool!!! ha ha ha I wouldn't know what to do with it all, but I WANT IT!

A reminder too, Postal rates are supposed to increase the day after Mothers Day!!! So stock up on Forever Stamps!!! I go thru a ton of first class postage, I plan to pick up a roll this week! Anyone know what the new rate fro a flat rate mailer is?

Have a great day everyone. it is a beautiful day today, but very windy (a bit dangerous for me outside with all of these big old trees) I have to stay in the middle of my lawn to be safe from falling tree limbs!

Frances

o

Hi Everybody!

I am going to be dreaming of wonderful plants tonight :) There are such wonderful surplus lists...It is supposed to warm up here again tommorow...I need to get out and weed... I wish I was a millionare and could afford a garden helper..Lol It will be wonderful to be in the dirt once again.....Amy I know you are excited 80 degrees! Have a great evening everyone...:))) Barb

o

Good morning everyone!!!

It looks like a beautiful day is coming our way in NC today! I can hardly wait! I am still cross checking lists and hoping I don't pull out all of my hair trying to make good matches for this swap!!! I really didn't know you were all going to have such wonderful assortments and make this so hard for me!!!

I may have to come up with some sort of a quiz game to help me out!!!

:O

Have a good one everyone!

Frances

o

Hi Frances!

I slept in...Oh it felt good...Quiz game sounds like tons of fun..I am glad you are getting some nice weather...We just had icky stuff come thru..I hope all my emerging perrr and bulbs didnt get hit too bad...After my coffee I am gonna take a walk around and see... I need to get a couple of trades out too...Yea finally warm weather again..Lol

o

Hello to all my fellow enablers! I have finally went and done it! What you ask!!! I uploaded pictures to photobucket and fiqured out how to link it to here..........WHHHHHOOOOOOO-HHOOOOOOO. So get a drink,pop some popcorn and enjoy the pics of my plants,stepson,and pets. ENJOY!!!

Regina

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/bl_topaz/

o

Regina!!!! Bravo!
I just tried the photobucket thing myself pretty painless really (why did it take me so long)
Now I am really DROOLING!!! cherries jubilee!?!?! Red Passion Vines, and what was that blue flower!!! oh my!!!! Gardenia! in April!!! My gardenia probably will not start blooming till June! I think I am going to have to move farther south! That brugmansia, what a giant!!!

Barb! Been trading like a mad woman, (I feel almost letdown if the Postman doesn't bring me a little something) I must be an addict! I hope your perennials (and other things) are ok!

Well its a bit breezy today, but not bad, we got the 'lawn' tended too, all this rain has the weeds as tall as the shrubs. Eaves troughs (my spouse calles em gutters) tomorrow. Oh well back in a bit, gotta think about dinner for awhile.

Frances

Frances

o

Hi Barb, (waving up at ya) and whipping drool off pictures....lol. Glad you enjoyed the Pics....I enjoyed yours too. You inspired me to try the photobucket!!!

The Cherry Jubilee is a Allamanda and a real beauty. The Lady Margaret (red passionflower) blooms contantly. The cold this winter did'nt even slow her down! If you notice there is another passionvine growing with her,but it's a noid at this time. Hasent bloomed yet. The blue flower??? At the base of the tree??? Plumbago....is a ground cover that kinda vines and can get quite tall. Flowers are "sticky" in that they will adhere to things that rub up against them,not in a bad way,but their way of propagating. It also comes in white, that I don't have. The Gardenia's here start blooming this time of year and will continue for a month or two depending on the cultivar. The Brug blooms every 3 weeks or so and you can smell it a block away, a show stopper as well.

Well have to start my own supper.....guys will be home soon and the cats will be meowing for supper too. Frankie will be the most patient....such a good boy!

Regina

o

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hi Everybody!

I love photobucket Lol Regina your yard is to die for..Your son is very handsome tall too... The girls will be chasing him in college...:) I received your email Thank you thank you I am so excited...Tickled pink actually...Hugs I will email ya later... I sent a few things out today too Frances... I promised Karyn Brendas beauty brug and needed to get it mailed..Lol it was getting huge... I got my culebra and creamsickle brug in..I am so excited to grow them too... I actually gave up counting how mant species there are in the gh..You all know that you are all first along with the brug forum this trading season for them...I have to hook my gardening friends up... As they hook me up too... I just really look forward to talking with you all and learn from each one of you...:)))))

o

ooh Barb! Is that ayello Hibiscus? booteeful!

ibartoo has decided to withdraw from the swap, she is having a busy time at home.

Chell has promised to wow us with her list this weekend! Leaving just one more we haven't heard from.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day! It is near perfect here today trying to get the 'gutters', siding and windows cleaned!

More later

Frances

o

Ok Well, Frances I just thought I would come and post. I don't think I have anything to compete with the great plants being offered here so I am going to gracefully decline joining your terrific swap.
You have some fantastic ladies who are participating. You all have fun.

o
RE: Hey grovespirit........

Hi - Has anyone heard back from grovespirit? I assumed, since there was a time limit ( 3 days ) accepting the offer of the plants.... we would get an email pretty quick???
What do ya'll think? Just wondering..... tina_2

o

Hey ya'll made a fubar in my post before sorry that was Fran I should have been addressing about waving at and all....got carried away with responding back I guess and forgot who's swap I was in. I can be such a deedeedee at times. Pleeeese forgive meeeeee ;)

I would like to ask Barb what her plants are that she posted pics of, and how did you guys post just a few pics from photbucket. One of these days I will get it mastered.

Worked on the pond some more today. When I get the stones around it all leveled and the liner tucked away I will post some more pics for you guys too. Thats the part I was working on today. That will just leave the waterfall then. Have to have electric run out to it still.

I stopped at a nursery today and found a blue walking Iris. I have been wanting one of those for some time. The lady there had some others but none of the yellows. I asked her how many did she want.....lol. I have tons of them. She is willing to do some trading! How kewl is that!She was a real pleasure to talk to and we shared a lot of info and ideas. I will be doing more busuness with her.

Well time to call it a night, I'm beat! Night ya'll....

Regina

o

I would love to join. Here is just a quick off the top of my head list of the plants I can offer. There is a lot more but will list them later:

Dinnerplate Dahlia - Thomas Edison
Lily of the Valley - White
Nematanthus wettsteinii - Goldfish Plant
Passiflora caerulea - Blue Passion Flower
Salix gracilistyla Melanostachy - Black Pussy Willow - Very Rare
Bearded Irises
Stargazer Lilies
Horseradish

Once I look at my persons list I will be better prepared to write what else I can offer them. This is just some of the extras extras I have but will add in some of my others after I look at your list.

Yeah another swap... Like I really need that but it is addictive. LOL

Tammy:-)

o

Tammy
Welcome!!! Wonderful list, swapping is addictive isn't it! Thats how we all ended up here!

Fran,
I am sure you have many wonderful plants tucked away in your garden. But I do understand you have plenty going on with ongoing and upcoming swaps. Which reminds me, I am setting aside and dividing plants for your swap too! (so many plants.... so little space)

Regina
No worries, I knew you were talking to me!I have a hard time keeping names straight at the best of times! Can't wait to see more pictures. on PhotoBucket, there is a small box under each photo with tags for linking to each one. To post a photo in your message copy the one that is labeled "Direct Link" (I think that is the right one)

ladygreensleeves - SURPLUS POSTED
chellflower - List this weekend
bigmama4ever
divahethr SURPLUS POSTED
micyrey - SURPLUS Posted
Tina_2 - SURPLUS POSTED
Greenthumbgrow - SURPLUS POSTED

Undecided
grolikecrazy

Enjoy your morning everyone!

Does anyone know bigmama4ever, haven't heard from her lately. I did send her a message, but hadn't heard back from her.

Swap quiz coming......

o
Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' QUIZ!!!!

There are no right or wrong answers, there is no way to research these answers, only YOU can answer the questions! It is multiple choice, choose the most appropriate answer for you. The reward will be a surprise (and not
what you think!!!)

For each question there are multiple choices, select the answer best suited to you.

A point value is assigned to each answer, have fun, the winner is going to recieve an 'advantage' in the swap to come!

About your garden

a Which of these best describes your DREAM garden:
1. Tropical
2. Cottage
3. Xeriscape
4. Alpine
5. ALIVE
6. All of the above
7. Non of the above

b Which of these describes your REAL garden
1. Serene
2. Planned
3. Natural
4. Chaotic
5. All of the above
6. Non of the above

c. What is your garden colour scape
1. pastel
2. cool
3. HOT
4. brown
5. All of the above
6. Non of the above

d. My biggest challenge in the garden is:
1. Space
2. bugs
3. time
4. cash
5. All of the above
6. Non of the above

e. My garden is
1. shady
2. sandy
3. rocky
4. dead
5. All of the above
6. Non of the above

f. I know I am a plant-aholic because......
1. ____________________________
2. Who me??!?!?!

o

Goodmorning all!

Welcome tammy :)

Regina they are chartruese rose hibiscus, red banana and Amaryllis that was supposed to be clown but isnt Lol

Game time Yippee

a5
b5
c5
d4 lol
e 1 and 2 and more

f I cant stay away from rr'S :)

Have a good day...Barb

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap rainbow

Look at what I woke up too...A rainbow :)

Photobucket

o
RE: my answers for the quiz....

Hi - Here are my answers for the quiz.....

a. 1. tropical.
b. 5. all of the above.
c. 5. all of the above.
d. 3. time.
e. 6. none of the above.
f. 1. it's hard to resist a swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Thanks - tina_2

o
about photobucket....

Hi - I am so glad, you guys can answer some questions about the photo bucket stuff.
I have had pics. on there forever and still have trouble just posting my pictures here at gardenweb!
When I try to put just the picture- it shows my whole photobucket!
And ,all I want is to post just a picture.
I don't want access, to all my photo bucket stuff.
So, please keep talking about the details..... this old dog is still learning!!! lol
Thank you - tina_2

o

lol

I had planned to post my answers as an exapmle but y'all beat me to it!

a.5
b.4
c.2
d.4
e.1
f.2 (I am in denial) :O

o

This is fun and interesting learning everyones answers...Frances this is a wonderful idea! :)

Tina this is how I do it posting pics..I would love to see pics of your garden..:)

Highlight the box below your pic in photbucket

Scroll down to bottom of page and hit generate html code box

Highlight 1st box and copy it

Come here and paste it inside the message box...Hit preview to make sure it shows up....Hope to see your pics...

o

Hi all,
Here are my answers...

a. 1
b. 5
c. 6 (?? what is a color scape??)
d. 3
e. 2
f. I have so many plants that I don't know where to put them all in the winter (my house is taken over...I need a greenhouse!!!)

Amy

o

Photobucket

Regina!

You wonderful friend you.... My grandma had them when I was growing up...They bring back such wonderful memories as a kid..:)You have made me so happy and I cant quit smiling.....Look how beautiful they are everybody...And they are rooted too...I dont know how to grow them..Lol Do I put them in hanging basket or container? Gosh you are a wonderful gardening buddy I tell ya..:) I will email ya Too...83.8 here right now the florida weather is here..:)

o

Wow Barb!!!! you lucky girl!

I went to lowes today, not a bougainville in sight (yet) but the tropicals are starting to arrive! I grabbed 2 Hibiscus "Painted Lady" for my porch pots and the mandeville are on the list!!! I cannot tell you how much I love these plants!!! The girl at the check out remembered me from one of my previous visits (probably many previous visits) and laughingly told me she was the organizer of the "Lowes Addicted Support group" ha ha ha..... unfortunately there is NO CURE! I told her I just consider Lowes garden center to be my "Garden Away from Home" I think my MIL thinks I am totally MAD!!!!

Oh well, whats a little hardware/dirt/powertools between friends................

OMG I want ALL of the cordless Makita Powertools!!!! right now!!!

lol, my other obsessions are showing now!

Amy
colour scapes is my clumsy way of saying colour scheme. Ever notice some people are drawn to PINK, or make all BLUE flowered beds? Some folks like HOT colours and some COOL... Thats what the question means.....

I really just want people to have fun with this, even if you don't answer truthfully, the idea is to share something about you and your garden! There is a PRIZE and there is an advantage to playing, but it is not required (though I think anyone who doesn't try is going to kick themselves when they find out the punchline!!!!

hoo hoo I am going to play a dirty trick (a fun one) I can't wait!!!

Frances

who is sweating (very unattractively) and enjoying a cool one while we watch the thermometer hover around 90F

o

Ok, well I answered that one correctly then. I try to get as many different colors in my gardens as possible, makes it so much more stunning (in my opinion). :-)

o

Barb glad they made it too ya ok and still with flowers intact so that you could see what they look like. Plant them in pots and as they grow train them to a trellis.Here is a link for some help in their care. http://www.plant-care.com/bougainvillea-plant-care-blooming.html. It tells ya about water needs ,sun, fertilizer, and what to expect since it was shipped to you.

now for the quiz

a)5 & 1
b)4
c)5
d)4 only because I want them all at once
e)6
f)because I can't walk past a seed pod,or plant that I don't have without making sure someones not looking before helping myself to some seeds or a pinch of the plant ;p

Heres some new pictures I took today.....

Regina

Mini Bella in bloom
plant shelf
Sunrise Cactus

o

1. Tropical

5. All of the above

6. None of the above/ I'm just happy when I keep the leaves green in the hot months lol

5. All of the above

e. My garden is

6. None of the above

1. how can I snatch that plant growing wild right over there...the other day I saw a lady parked on the side of the road cutting carolina jessamine. I was like hmmm i should stop and meet her we could be friends! Too many cars behind me too stop lost opportunity.

o

Goodmorning everyone...

Tina to set the photo album as private go to account options on the first page...Scroll down a little and set it to private...Only your pic you posted should show up...I have had were my album does show up too though... I hope this helps ya...

Thanks Frances Lol on the checkout girl... I hope their bougies get there soon for you...The hibiscus is pretty..:) So you like power tools huh..I wont even go there..They dont like me... :(

Regina thank you for the link I was reading about them last night...Al was cracking up...He said wow those plants have you all excited and bubbly.... I am still smiling... I just love your pics...You really have a green thumb...

Heather Lol I am the same way always wanting to walk up to someone and talk plants.. :) Have a great day everybody...Barb

o

lol

I love the answers! it is fun to learn a little more about everyone's garden (and a little insight into the gardener too)

Wow Regina that Pink flower is gorgeous!!! and I love your fern too. (volunteer fern) I wish is was 'wet' enough to grow ferns here, but they just never survive the season! I have to make do with Hosta which can tolerate the hot/dry better.

Newest obsession is hosta! I love them all!!! blue greens, golden greans, streaky, ridgy..... yum!!!! Must be all this shade!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I hope mother nature is being good to you all!!!

Frances

o

Frances have you tried the male wood fern? I have them here in hot morning sun and they are quite pretty... Remind me this season to send you some to try... :) Of course after I take care of our regina...:))) Barb

o

Hey Barb, I really don't know what they are except cinamon and possibly christmas ferns. I have tried several, they try valiently to hang on, but summer and watering restrictions just last too long here. I will continue to admire them in other peoples yards.... (post lots of pic folks, I might as well be living in the desert from May to November) Besides this year I will be away all through the month of July, I am either going to come home to brown plants (DH forgot to water) or fungus gnats (MIL did water) she means well, but she kills a lot of plants with 'kindness'
I won't even buy a porch fern (boston fern) anymore. (they are practically "regulation" around here) though why I don't know.... too much water too little return (unless you LOVE sweeping your porch, ha ha ha)

No ferns for me, give them to Regina!!! I will just admire them from afar!!!!

The mailman brought me a present today!!!! 3 rooted brug cuttings!!!! Jean Pasco (yellow I think), Pink Masterpiece, and a NOID!!! GOtta go pot them up and feed them! Has anyone seen pink masterpiece? so far I have not found any pictures.

My datura and lantana are popping up right now (every year about the time I am ready to 'shovel prune and replace' them they pop up and take over their alotment of real estate!

well best run and turn on the AC before I COOK its almost 90F again today...... but they say we have a little cool off coming tomorrow!

Frances

o
Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Status

Here is how we stand with only 5 Days till the Cut off!!!! 5 Days to join and post those lists!
5 Days to fill out your quiz and ensure your..... (oops thats the surprise)

I have trimmed the lists just a bit to make them fit better and make the reading a little easier! Also included links to everyone's echange list....

Rosepedal
- Barb

Zone 5 WI

White ginger

Strawberry Quinat everbearing

Viola Coruta Rebecca

Concord grape spiderwort

Charmed wine oxalis

Green oxalis with dainty pink flowers beutiful

Hermans pride laminum

Drumgs along the mohawk pod x Websters pink daylilly seedling

Custard candy x idas majic daylily seedling

Flamenco brug if it stays small to ship

Jatropha Multifeda seedling

Freckles coleus cutting un rooted

Coleus Cococ Loco rooted

Baby adenium seedling

Baby EE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Divahethr

Zone 7

Apricot fall daisy mums (lots)

Aurea marginata hosta (lots)

elderberries

raspberries

bamboo

'walker's low' catmint (rooting)

'wild thing sage' salvia (has roots)

croton 'andrew'

hardy cactus opuntia (lots)

not so hardy cactus opuntia (lots)

variegated vinca minor (lots)

white rose of sharon (lots)

'happy returns' daylily

'catherine woodbury' daylily

'autumn red' daylily

horseradish

Micyrey
- Michelle

Zone 5b

surprise lilies (z5 hardy)

fushias(tropical)

coleus(tropical)

geraniums (hardy & tropical)

yellow bells 'esperanza'(tropical)

angel wing and dragon wing bagonias(tropical)

bee balms(z5 hardy)

- very bright pink

- purple

- red

verigated ornamental grass(z5 hardy)

monkey grass(z5 hardy)

spiermint(z5 hardy)

iresin(tropical)

Tina_2
- Tina

Zone - 8 TX

these are for sun

tall white flowering mock orange bush,

tall white flowering privet shrub

tall red flowering oleander bush, has no smell but the flower are striking,
perennial.

short spreading artemesia, it's a silver color

short ground cover, sedum has a small yellow flower, perennial.

short , spreading red floweing salvia, perennial.

tall fragrant red rose bush, has large full and beautiful flowers, perennial.

tall fragrant white rose bush, has very full fragrant beautiful flowers, perennial
- it's a climber

cuttings for shade

short ground cover ,vinca vine green leaves with cream edges, make deep blue
flowers, evergreen - perennial.

All of these are plants , unless my trade partner would prefer
cuttings.

short, no id. crocosmia bulbs, perennial.

short ,no id. peach daylilys bulbs, perennial. short has pink flowers, soapwort
cascades, perennial.

tall blue mist plant, has blue flowers, perennial.

tall mexican petunias, has purple flowers, reseeding annual.

tall jewel of opar, has pink flowers that look like little stars, foliage is
like a succulent,reseeding annual.

tall dark no id. ' almost black leaf > cannas,has red flowers. perennial.

Greenthumbgrow
- Tammy

Zone - 7 MD

Dinnerplate Dahlia - Thomas Edison

Lily of the Valley - White

Nematanthus wettsteinii - Goldfish Plant

Passiflora caerulea - Blue Passion Flower

Salix gracilistyla Melanostachy - Black Pussy Willow - Very Rare

Bearded Irises

Stargazer Lilies

Horseradish

dieg01991
- Amy

Zone 4a

Aeonium zwartkop

Aloe Vera (pup)

Arrow vine

Asparagus Fern

Bloodleaf Variegated 'Iresine herbstii'

Chinese Evergreen (solid green leaves)

Chinese Evergreen, Painted Drop-Tongue

Christmas cactus (hot pink and white flowers)

Christmas cactus (solid hot pink flowers)

Cuban oregano (variegated)

Dumbcane

Graptopetalum pentandrum superbum (succulent)

Isrine purple

Ivy (large green leaf)

Ivy (small green leaf)

Jade Plant (green)

Pathos (green)

Pathos (golden)

Peperomia species (NOID)

Polka Dot Plant

Pregnant onion

Purple Queen

Purple Velvet

Spider plant (green)

spider plant (white center w/green molting)

Sunrise plant (Anacampseros telephiastrum 'variegata')

Swedish Ivy

Wandering jew (purple & silver)

Wandering jew (green)

***Unrooted cuttings:

African Violet (white, pink or purple)

Bolivian Jew

Euphorbia trigona

Fuchsia 'Shadow Dancer Betty'

Goldfish plant orange flowers

Heart leaf philodendron

Kalanchoe (Mother of Thousands - red flowers)

Lipstick plant (red flowers)

Star Jasmine

***BULBS:

Canna lily (green leaf w/red flowers)

Canna lily (burgundy leaf w/red flowers

Ladygreensleeves
- Regina

Zone 10 FLA

Clerodendrum 'Uandense' Butterfly Bush....rooted

Clerodendrum 'Quadriloculare' Starburst...rooted

Clerodendrum 'Tomsonice' Bleeding Heart....cuttings

Penta's 'Lanceslata' in red & hot pink....cuttings

Mandevilla's yellow rotted...pink,white,red cuttings

Cherry Jubilee Allamanda 'Allamanda Cathartica'...cuttings

Dwarf'Allamanda schottii 'Compacta' yellow.... cuttings

Gardenia 'Glazerii' .....rooted

Gardenia 'Florida' .....cuttings

Angel Trumpet 'Brugmansia suaveolens' white....rooted

Shell Ginger verigated 'Alpinia zerumbet'...rhizomes

Spice Ginger 'Zingiber officinale'....rhizomes

Hibiscus 'Rosa-Sinensis'.....cuttings

Hibiscus white/pink throat....cuttings

Jasmine vine....noid....rooted

Lady Margaret Passionvine.....cuttings

Sky Vine 'Thunbergia'.....cuttings

Purple(Blackie)Sweet potatoe vine.....rooted

Plumbago 'Auriculata' rooted & cuttings

Blue Porterweed 'stachytarpheta jamaicensis'....cuttings

Staghorn Fern 'Platycerium holtummii' ready to mount

Elephant Ear 'Colocasis' will get big

Song-of-India 'Dracaena reflexa'.....rooted

Arelia 'Balflouriana'....rooted

Spinach Tree 'Crinoscolus chayamansa'....rooted

Banana pup 'Dwarf Cavish'.....rooted

Walking Iris yellow 'Neomarica longifolia'....fans

Concord grape Spiderwort 'Tradescantia'....rooted

Coleus'Solenostemmons'Chocolate mint,Henna,Duckfoot,noids

Desert Rose 'Adenium Obesum' noid seedling babies

Kalanchoe 'crassulaceae family' have several colors

Rhipsalis 'eliplica','Trail',...rooted,have noids too

Night Blooming Cereus 'Selenicereus grandiflorus..cutting

Zigos's 'Sunrise'-pink.....cuttings

Zigo 'Christmas' -white,red....cuttings

Carrion plant 'Stepelia Grandifloria'....rooted

yucca pups.....rooted

Jade 'Crassula Ovata'....rooted

Episcia dianthiflora...little plantlets, roots easily

Hoya's for Hoya's I dont have, may or may not be rooted

Gladiolus fringe mix bulbs.....10

Crinium lily 'Crinum asiaticum' bulbs....sprouting now

Spanish Thyme 'Plectranthus amboinicus' I have verigated & non also know
as cuban oragano....rooted

Most everything is concidered a tropical, there are some
perennials in there as well as some house plants.

As for my wants anything I dont already have.....lol

fcoffill
- Frances

Zone 7/8 NC

Canna - Red/Burgundy leaf with green, Red Flower, 5 - 6 feet,
lots

Canna - Tall (7-8 feet) red flowered, very large green or green with red border
leaf

Caladium - White with green veining and border, 2' possibly "Aaron"
4 corms/bulbs

Hosta - Twist of Lime, mini, lime green, 1 or 2 small div avail

Green EE, small bulbs

Tropical Houseplants

golden pothos

baby 'monstera' cuttings

Common Jade

Red Flowering Holiday cactus

Rubber Plant - ficus decora 'Burgundy'

Parlour Palm

arrow vine very pretty pale green with pink

Cottage Garden Perennial

Lavendar TB-Iris, from an old garden

Shasta Daisy Alaska, mature division

Euonymus - Variagated (silvery green with white and pink flashes)

Rosa Rugosa Red (actually a deep pink),

Daffodil for Naturalizing

Hydrangea Nikko Blue

4 o'clocks, mixed, mostly "Broken" seedlings

Succulent

Autumn Joy Sedum

Coral Sedum (low growing)

Hens&Chicks

Talinium (Jewel of Opar) Seedlings

o

Now Barb....those were for paying you back for the last swap, if you go doing anything it will mean a seed/plant swap war via the mail carriers.....lol. They might get tired....lol.

Today was the annual spring plant sale at the Mount Botanical Gardens and I was there for the member 9am presale....Whooooo-Hoooooo.This is what I got.......6 hoya's(yes it's an obsession)rex begonia,kiwi,iris,& fiber optic.

Plants from Mounts

The blue walking Iris that I got Thursday has opened it's blooms....here's a picture of it too.

Blue Walking Iris

It has a clover type plant with a pink flower growing in it. Would anyone know what that would be? Is it a keeper or a weed?

And no more ferns for me....I'm always trying to enable others with some of mine.

Ok Tina it's your turn now, if they can teach this ole lady how to post pictures anyone can do it.........lol.

Regina

o

Sure will love to send ya some to try this season later on before winter... Money is tight right now...As it is for others...I have cut my trading and buying plants down..Boo hoo :( I need to hook up regina for sending me those boogie woogies..lol
Al is taking me to a nursery tommorw that has 6 gh's HMMM that will be hard with no moolah... :( I want to talk with them and learn from them in our zone..:)

Congrats on your new brug babies you will love them..:) Sounds like you have some neat ones there..Yellow and orange brugs are my my favs...I am so happy you have some neat ones for the growing season.... Bodaious!

The list look very neat! Looking forward to my partner..:)

o

Regina great plants! The little clover loking thing, looks like some sort of oxalis too me, probably a keeper, though it will likely go dormant for you in the heat and bloom spring and fall (thats what mine do) the bulbs arre tiny and they multiply like crazy so you may want to keep in in a pot unless you love em.

Tina!!! oh yes piccies please!!!! we love to see pretty flowers!!!

Gotta run, been outside all morning, now I need to make myself busy indoors!

Frances

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap :)

lol Regina we posted at the same time..:)

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap :))))

All three of us posted at the same time...hahhaha We are all thinking of each other...:))))

o
RE: Tropical-SubTropical 'Surplus' Swap PB

okay a tip again about photobucket as the meat loaf bakes yummy... Check your thumbnail...Click on it and make sure it opens big..PB has a bug in it I think in my humble O"... Sometimes it will open big and other times it wont...So the people cant open your picture...You just have to go back and click on the second box down instead of the first...:)))) It will post your pic big so us old timers can see it...I am blind as a bat..LOL

o

lol!

We did all post at once!!! Meat loaf sound delicious Barb, I'll be right over. Since Paul is working mostly evenings, I don't cook every day. (Probably good for the figure) ;)Extra sweating and exercise and fewer calories..... yup yup best not complain!

Barb I know the money pinch, have cut way back on my swapping already, this will likely be my last till fall other than a small local swap in a few weeks. Oh well too hot to swap in the summer anyway... and I have a couple hundred babies sitting in the back yard saying PLANT ME, PLANT ME ALREADY! what are you waiting for!!!

lol well its about time to wash off the dirt and do some housework (what a slacker I know) ;)

Have a great weekend everyone

Frances

o

I wish you all lived close to me so we could get into some plant mischief! I went to 2 master gardener sales today about 80 miles apart and I need my husband to help carry sometimes but he is NOT an enabler...gah!

o

im here havin computer problems. but we are ready now..here is what i have,,, bengal tiger canna, a dark leaf red flower canna, 2 hoya cuttings both varigated one has a longer thinner leaf, and of course the regulr hoya, if wanted, have grab bag of succulents, have 2 arrow head, one plant and one cuttin, green oxalis, and one iron cross bulb, my philos have babys one is a dark leaf the other is a large green,various jews, one geranium cuttin the one with dark brown in the middle, baby bonnie spider plant, 3 epi cuttings, coleous cuttings,and of course my begonia leafs or cuttings, you can check my page for the names , have to update lost some stuff over the winter, im really wanted bananas, and coleouses.ee gardenias, banana canna, varigated oyster plant, here in az is windy, all my roses are full of flowers but all droppy, my skin is dry and itchy. i have the kodak photo does anyone know how to post pics from there??? o yea have lots of these small purple flower, can send a nice clump.norma

o

Heather I am cracking up..:) That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time on your trade page...hahahha Mine too...Have to keep them fed right? lol

o

I was going to come over for meatloaf too...but couldnt talk hubby into it. He took me out to applebies instead....would have prefered meatloaf....yummy!

Too bad we don't all live closer is right. My hubs is not an enabler either, he just calls me his little plant hoe....ROTFLOL. My neighbor was going to go with me to the plant sale today, but she forgot about it (egads!!!) and was still asleep when I called to say LETS GO this morning. So I went all by my lonesome
;( sniff,sniff

After dinner we went to the Home Depot and got more stone for the pond,hubby had another brainstorm to help with the border, so we picked up some border stone for that as well. Heres a few pictures of the pond so far.

pond
pond
pond

o

Which of these best describes your DREAM garden:

7. Non of the above - Relaxing

3. Natural

1. pastel
2. cool
3. HOT

6. Non of the above - Weeds. I hate weeding.

e. My garden is
6. Non of the above -Sunny & Clay

1. I embrass my DH when we go out and I am taking clippings and asking for cuttings, pulling over on the side of the road to take a snip (hay did you see me? We can still be friends -LOL) and going straight for the plant sections at all stores, boycotting the ones that don't have a plant section. LOL

o

Barb hehehe I'm glad you thought it was funny I'll have to put up more funny stuff

LGS -- haha plant hoe. At least you put an "e" on the end of THAT. I'm just a plant ...well anyway. I hope you got some cuttings at Applebees rofl. I feel that if you ate out and tipped well...that entitles you to free cuttings or seeds. If the service was bad just pull up with a shovel and take the whole plant. And staying at a hotel same thing.

Tammy I did see you I liked the blond and black streaks in your hair lol

o

You all have the funniest sense of humor..Thank you for cracking me up and making me smile...:)))It is pourimg here...It started yesterday...I have puddles in the yard...I hope it stops soon..The weatherman said 3.5 inches for us before it is over... Last week we had 1.5 inches Have a good day everyone...

o

Okay, I FINALLY got my lists together! Sorry for the wait folks, but things have been soo busy these last few weeks!
Here's what I have for the swap:

Plants:
*Apple Red Delicious seedling: Perennial, FS & WD soil.
*Canna "Yellow King Humbert/Robert Wallace(these got mixed up & cant tell apart until bloom time):Perennial, FS & moist. Yellow & red blooms.
*Castor Bean -Red(R. communis 'Carmencita' ): Per. in zones 8-11, FS & WD. Grows fast, red blooms. *Seeds are poisonous.
*Coleus (C. blumei) seedlings: Annual/Tender Perennial or houseplant. PS & moist, WD soil.
*Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia Milii): Perennial succulent zone 9-11 or houseplant. F/P sun & moderate water. Red blooms.
*Daylily (Hemerocallis): Perennial-all zones, F/P sun & moist, WD soil. Orange blooms.
*Desert Rose (Adenium obesum) seedlings-Pink: Perennial succulent zone 9-10, or houseplant. FS & moderate water.
*Hosta T-Rex: Perennial zone 3-9, Part/morning sun & moist, WD soil. To 30" high.
*Hoya Fungii: Perennial houseplant. PS, WD soil. White bloom w/burgundy throat. Fragrant. Hanging basket.
*Hibiscus Sunset seedling: Perennial zone 9-10, FS & WD soil. Red & gold bloom.
*Paperwhite/Chinese Sacred Lily (Narcissus): Perennial zone 8-11, F/P sun & WD soil.
*Plumeria (P. rubra) seedling: Perennial, small succulent tree or container plant. zone 9-11, FS & dry soil.
*Spider Plant Variegated (Chlorophytum comosum): Perennial. Houseplant or outdoors in Part sun. White blooms.

Cuttings:
*Purple Queen (Tradescantia pallida): Perennial zone 8-11, F/P sun, moist -dry. Pink blooms, groundcover or hanging basket.
*Purple Jew (Zebrina pendula): Perennial, Part/morning sun. Hanging basket/houseplant.

Bulbs/Tubers:
*Air Potato Vine(Dioscorea bulbifera): Perennial zone 9-11, F/P sun, drought tolerant. Native to Asia & Africa.

...for my wants, please see my trade list. It was completely updated yesterday....

Here are my answers to the questionaire...

About my Garden:
6. All of the above (including 'Much larger!, LOL)
4. Chaotic
5. All of the above
5. All of the above
e. My garden is
6. Non of the above- sunny & tree roots!
1. I get dirtier than the kids when we go outside to 'play' and if weather's bad/cold, I bring the dirt indoors!

Thanks Frances for being patient with me, and thanks for hosting this swap!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chellflower's Trade Lists

o

Good morning Barb, if you get too much rain we can allways use it!!! (I know, crying for rain again.... sheesh)

What a fab list Chellflower, well worth the wait!!! I confess I had never heard of "air potato" so I looked it up! how cool is that, have to check and see if it is invasive in this area.... if not I will be looking for some of those!!! What a beautiful leaf!

Hey Tammy! thanks for doing the quiz, I just love all of the answers!!! I love the little insights that it has provided into each of your gardens!

Heather - you are lucky to have a spouse who eats vegetables! So many do not!!

Regina I cannot get over that pool! you dug all of that out by yourself!!!! I would be dead! Fantastic looking pavers too!

My DH is definately an enabler! He drives me around the neighborhoods so I can see/photograph plants and flowers and gardens. Really helps this northern girl trying to figure out what I like in the south. Seeing things at the Garden center or in a catalogue is just not the same, not to mention that the descriptions are so vague and sometime totally wrong!!! He also takes me to the garden center and we look at plants together, he is learning to trust me and my methods and has even been known to look for a certain plant he knows I really want and then take me back to the store where he points me in the general direction and then smiles like a cheshire cat when I 'find' it. I love that man. (even if I never understand the love of 'grits' or 'sweet tea')

Well I have caterpillars in my hair and fire ant stings to tend (they've both set up houskeeping in the same flowerbed) I best figure out what to do about both pests without getting stung to death!

More later everyone!

Frances

o

Goodmorning Ladies!!!! the new thread has been posted!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here