Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

NEW: Incredible Edibles Economic Seed Stimulus (side) Swap!

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

This is a side swap of the Incredible Edibles Group!

I know everyone has been affected in some way due to the status of today's economy.

More and more people are growing their own food due to the increasing prices at the supermarket. And seed companies have been raising their prices of their seeds.

Now is a busy time for planting seeds for everyone, so we thought it would be a great time to do this side swap of The Incredible Edibles!

In this swap, their will be no need to buy or purchase seeds. We will all swap seeds that are already in our seed boxes. I know a lot of you have bought seeds already for planting, and probably have left overs that you do not need. Or you have seeds of something that you planted and were not fond of, etc etc etc.

This is a great way to get some new seeds without having to spend any money at all to get them!!!! That is pretty cool!

Now is a great time to do such a swap because it is a very active time for sowing. Plus, lots of people have bought seeds for the spring, and have pretty full seed boxes.

Obviously each variety of seed you send your partner does not have to equal to a full, new pack of seeds. However, do give your partner enough seed to allow them a good try out for that variety.

Number of packs can vary here. Please atleast swap with your partner 7-8 different varieties to try out. Since this is a swap for partial packs, it would be very easy to increase this number. So feel free to exchange more packs. Actually, it will be up to you and your partner to figure out how many packs that you would like to share with each other.

If you would like I can do this also:

If you are someone with a lot of seeds to trade, I can partner you up with someone the same.

If you are someone who is only interested in swapping a small amount of seeds, I can try to partner you with someone else who also only wants to trade a small amount.

Also, feel free to post your want list. And I can try to partner up people we others who have what they are looking for.

Sign ups will be until April 14th, and then I will list partners. If sign ups seem to really slow down before then, I may post partners a few days earlier with everyone's approval.

Please have your seeds mailed to your partner by April 24th. Since you do not need time to wait for seed orders and such, please feel free send seeds sooner.

So lets get this Economic Seed Stimulus Package started!

Comments (80)

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I will try to come up with a little want list at work today. I know I would be interested in parsnip, turnips, huckleberry nd purple broccoli. These are new things that I would like to try. I am also looking for the pumpkin Galeux (the warty one).

I know that I have a few sweet pepper seeds, some heirloom tomato seeds, and herbs. I will tryto get a list together. It is supposed to rain here again tonight and tomorrow so it does not look like I will get to plant out anything, STILL. UUUGGGG. I still havenot planted my potatoes and peas or anything. Driving me nutty.

Be back tonight

Nichol

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I would like to grow mostly Heirloom or OP's so I can save seeds and share them later. :) I do grow a few types of hybrids types are listed below. My list is also pretty specific, so these are the things I really like and grow. I wouldn't be offended if I received anything from my wish list though! LOL!

What I grow:
    Edible Flowers (I love Nasturtiums, Echinacea and Calendula)
    Edible Herbs
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Brussels Sprouts (hybrids)
    Carrots (hybrids)
    Corn (hybrids)
    Pickling Cucumbers (hybrids)
    Garden Berries
    Okra
    Onions (Bunching, Sweet, cippolini, hybrids)
    Sweet and Hot Peppers (I must have traded my bells! LOL)
    Pumpkins (Pie, Blue or odd looking)
    Garden Peas
    Tomatoes (On my list or the like types)
    Squash (Winter Or Summer)
    Herbs (From my list or the like types)

Things I'm not good at growing:
    Most root types except Onions and Carrots.
    I don't grow lettuces at this point. I just haven't figured out the right time cause it's so hot here most of the year. :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A "Happy Easter!" bump :)

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

I have several extra seeds and would love to participate in this swap. I need to update my want/have list. I do have a current list on another website, but not on here. Please count me in!

Thanks,
    J_and_C

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how to update my have/want list on here, so I'll list it here until I can figure that out. The seeds I have for the swap should be enough for someone's family to try a good helping of the variety, and maybe have a few leftover to collect seeds from.

I have the following...

-Garden/Green Beans
    -Royal Burgundy
    -Burpee Stringless
    -Topnotch Golden Wax

-Garden/Lima Beans - Henderson's Bush

-Peas - Green Arrow

-Snow Peas - Oregon Sugar Pod II

-Eggplant - Black Beauty

-Squash - Zucchini - Black Beauty

-Squash - Waltham Butternut

-Carrots - Danvers Half Long & Chantenay

-Cucumbers - Straight Eight & Marketmore

-Radish - Early Scarlet Globe

-Swiss Chard - Fordhook

-Spinach - Correnta Hybrid

-Lettuce
    -Black Seeded Simpson
    -Iceberg
    -Paris Island Cos (Romaine type)

I am open to:

-Any/all types of ornamental corn, edible or not

-Tomatoes, especially Purple, Yellow Pear and Heirloom varieties

-Chives & most all other herbs used in cooking

-Beans, especially navy, kidney, chili, pinto & heirloom varieties

-Snow Peas

-Burpless Cucumbers

-Turnips

-Leeks

-Green Onions

-Broccoli

-Cauliflower

-Cabbage

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome J and C!

bonechickchris~Christy
    Booberry~Becky
    loudbaby~Wendy
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    southerncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    prayerrock~Mary
    opie12~Melissa
    antionine~Toni
    dirtdiggin~ Toni
    amandasocial22~Amanda
    highaltransplant~Bonnie
    jandc~ j,c

and a maybe Donna!

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

ok I want bonnie for a partner..lol

Mary

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

I also found two other kinds of seeds I am including that I forgot to list before. Now I'm not listing them on purpose. ;)

Can someone tell me how to get to my tradelist to create one and add a little personal information on there?

Thanks,
    J&C
    jandcnursery@yahoo.com

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Hey Lurkers it's the last day for sign ups! :) Come on and join us for some great fun. Remember you don't have to purchase anything for this one, we're swapping seeds we already have in our seed boxes with our partner. :)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

J and C, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a link that says Member Pages, click that, and it will take you to a page that gives you the options of editing your exchange list, or changing your personal info, etc.

Bonnie

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• prayerrock
    15 years ago

I dont have my trade list up to date at all, maybe i can work on that later.

What I am really looking for is herbs! Any and all kinds of herbs. I want to do a nice herb garden this year.

Mary

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

I posted my old email address earlier.

My email is jimmieb79@yahoo.com now.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Jimmie I sent you an email. :) Glad to have you join us. :)

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Is it too late to join? I have lots of leftovers and wants for my veggie garden. If I can still join, I will post my haves/wants asap.

Thanks,
    Amy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Hi Amy, you aren't too late. :) I believe Christy has sign-ups open until the 17th. :) Glad to have you join us too!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kathy for the help! You know I need it! LOL!

Welcome Amy! You are not too late!

bonechickchris~Christy
    Booberry~Becky
    loudbaby~Wendy
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    southerncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    prayerrock~Mary
    opie12~Melissa
    antionine~Toni
    dirtdiggin~ Toni
    amandasocial22~Amanda
    highaltransplant~Bonnie
    jandc~ j,c
    dieg01991~Amy
    and a maybe Donna!

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Great!! I will post my lists some time this weekend. Thanks!

Amy

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

I added a little more info to my page....still working on it. So whoever gets me, please take a peak at it. Thanks. :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

YW Christy. :D Now if we could just get Donna to say yes! lol

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just noticed I wrote till the 14th for sign ups. I thought I made this one till the 17th also?
    ANy who, you can still join us here! You have one more day to sign up! What great swap! Get new seeds for the price of postage! What a deal!!!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LOL I thought I messed up again by saying the 17th, cause I saw the 14th after I posted. ROFL Another one of my DUH moments. giggles...

• murphysmom2009
    15 years ago

Hi Thought I had missed this one, have all kinds of veggies and herbs, so since you bumped up the cut off, would like to join in the fun...thanks Deb

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure Deb! Glad to have you!

Come on all you last minute traders! Sign up now!

bonechickchris~Christy
    Booberry~Becky
    loudbaby~Wendy
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    southerncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    prayerrock~Mary
    opie12~Melissa
    antionine~Toni
    dirtdiggin~ Toni
    amandasocial22~Amanda
    highaltransplant~Bonnie
    jandc~ j,c
    dieg01991~Amy
    murphysmom2009~Deb

and a maybe Donna!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Jimmie, you are making me curious as to what those 2 types of seeds are that you aren't gonna mention?!?! LOL

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ok...I mulled it over as long as I possibly could....and because Kathy batted her eyes all purty like I am going to join this swap!

Donna :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YIPPEE! DOnna joined! We are now complete! LOL!

Anyone else lurking around? Last chance!

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I will post my list tomorrow morning or early afternoon. I wanted to let you know just in case you are going to try to match partners based on our lists.

Amy

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, I just re-updated my list. Got my Seeds of Change catalog in today. I was beginning to think I had just about every seed I could possible want, but I was wrong, LOL! Not that I expect anyone in this swap to have all of the rare heirlooms that they carry, but I was just excited to see some "new to me" things.

Bonnie

• murphysmom2009
    15 years ago

Hi Just got the list on my members page...will make it a lot easier. Thanks Deb

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

One pack of seeds are veggies, and one fruit. The suspense has you at the edge of your seat, doesn't it? hehe I can post what they are if I need to. Just let me know.

J_and_C
    (Jimmie and Crystal... mostly Crystal)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I am eagerly awaiting THE ARRIVAL OF MY NEW ROTOTILLER!!!!! Uncle Sam gave us a tax return which I promptly spent, to help the economy of course! It's suppose to be delivered today.

In the meantime, we landed a big project, but it needs to be completed by the end of the month. The field work will take me 6-7 days. So I will be working all weekend and probably next weekend too. No time to play with my new toy until the project is done.

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

Found some more seeds I forgot to list. I think it's another veggie. Here's the three extras I forgot to list at first:
    -Sugar Baby Watermelon
    -Straightneck Early Yellow Squash
    -Collards, Vates - Brassica oleraceae

I am slowly adding more and more to my exchange list. Can't wait to find out who I am sending to! :)

J&C

• booberry85
    15 years ago

My rototiller is HERE! Now, I'm wishing I could spontaneously absorb all the info in the manuals!

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

Sheeesh! I also have found a few Nasturtium seeds. They're a mix of Dwarf Alaska Mixed Colors and Dwarf Jewel Mixed Colors, so I'm not sure which they'll be, but I literally only have a few seeds..3

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Congrats Becky! What kind did you get? Time to learn how to speed read to you can take in all the manual tells. hehe

Crystal, sounds like you have quite a bit of seeds to share too. :) Glad to know which name to call you too, thanks. hehe :D And oh yes! The suspense was killing me! LOL

• booberry85
    15 years ago

The rototiller is a 208 cc Rear Tine Troybilt Bronco. I feel like I should be Tim the Tool Man Taylor. Can you hear me saying, "More Power," and grunting afterward? LOL!

Here's a picture of my baby.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rear Tine Brono Troybilt Tiller

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congrats BEcky! I am so jealous! My parents are moving soon, to a sandy location on the water, so I am hoping to steal my dad rototiller when they move! lol!

Crystal, dont worry about posting every little thing. I think it will be fun to send your partner some surpises too! I think it is more fun to not know everything that you are getting, know what I mean?

Today is the deadline, if we agree that we close today, I can have partners up by tonight!
    Christy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Very nice! I can hear the grunting! Hilarious! What I really want to know is if you will be driving that thing or will hubby?

Which comes to the question... How many women here can run something like that? I'm afraid of them I won't even lie! I can use the little one though. ROFL!

This is the one I am gonna be using (it's on layaway at the Pawn Shop) Yeah, I just realized how hillbilly that sounded. ROFL My hubby got a guy to till up the garden for me this spring, well "I think" I can maintain the garden with this mini tiller so I splurged cause it only looked like it may have been used 1 or 2 times and works great. If I can't my hubby is in deep trouble and will have to get the "Big Boy" for the garden and we'll have to use the mini for the flower beds. ;D

Here is a link that might be useful: Bolens BL410

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Here is my list:

Have:
    bush snap bean
    carrot
    cilantro
    cucumber
    dill
    garlic chives
    leaf lettuce mix
    Okra
    parsley
    anaheim chili pepper
    casabella pepper
    cayanne pepper
    habanero pepper
    jalapeno pepper
    snow wind pea
    Soybean
    spinach

Want:
    Acorn squash
    Butternut squash
    Cauliflower
    Chili Pepper
    Fennel
    Garlic
    Ginger Root
    Onion (purple)
    Onion (white)
    Rosemary
    yellow zucchini

Thanks,
    Amy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Kathy, make no mistake. That's MY toy. I just hope he doesn't expect me to learn how to use the lawn mower now. ROFL! I had allergies as a kid (still do but not as bad.) So it was my Dad's or my sister's job to mow the lawn. I've never used a lawn mower.

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

I also want banana peppers, forgot that on my list! :-)

Amy

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Becky, I'll use the lawn mower, kind of count it as a workout, but I won't touch the weedeater. Hate that thing! Probably because I can't seem to cut a straight line, and end up with ruts in the yard, LOL. I have some handheld grass shears that I'll use if the yard really needs edging and DH doesn't have time to get to it, but then the neighbors tease me for "cutting the yard with a scissors".

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LOL Becky!!! What made me have a fear of it was because I watched the guy till up my garden area and I thought that thing was gonna shoot straight up in the air a few times. I almost went running across the garden at one point to catch him! Which would have probably hurt me more than him! HAHAHA! Good thing he didn't see me, he probably would have died laughing at me.

I'll use the lawn mower, weed eater, edger and blower though... Go figure. ROFL! (At least Becky has an excuse not to mow! LOL)

Bonnie! That's funny too! Neighbors, ain't they great for a good laugh. :D

Christy, I'll cross my fingers that you get that tiller when they move. :) I did my flower beds by hand again this year and it was horrible! Took me 2 weeks to get them right. Don't wanna do that again EVER!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Bonnie, LOL! I hate the weed eater too. I've used it twice in 10 years (after the DH started it for me). I usually just use pruning shears!

Kathy, ROFL! I have a great image of you running away, trying not to "scream like a girl!"

Christy, hope you get that rototiller!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This one is goign to take a little longer thatn the DD swap to put partners together. But I will have them up by tonight (Saturday night)/ Thanks! Christy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Take your time Christy. :)

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

Are you listing who we ship to on here, or are you emailing that information to us so no one knows who is shipping to them yet? Just wondering seeing how I check here way more often than my email account. :)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Hey Crystal!

Christy started a new thread with the swap partners listed. Just follow the link.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Economic Seed Stimulus Swap Partners

• j_and_c
    15 years ago

Thank you very much. :)