Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 17:33

May Swap - FOTESS - Snip and Share

First of all, let me say that you need to be a member of FOTESS in order to participate in this swap. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. We try to keep our swaps simple, try to make sure the postage for them is not too expensive, and we try to recycle and reuse and share seeds as much as we can. If you are not currently a member but are a reliable GardenWeb swapper, you can get in touch with me or Shirley and see if you are able to join in time for this swap.

Here are the rules if you sign up... and we hope you do!!!

1. Fill a small priority mail box (the size that you can send for about $5) with about 12 - 15 cuttings for the partner who will be assigned to you. You must pack them carefully and according to the instructions. You can send two cuttings from the same plant if you want to make sure that one roots; but no more than two of any one plant.

2. You must send your package with delivery confirmation. Because your box will contain plant material, please take your cuttings late in the day the day before you ship or the morning of the day you ship so the cuttings will stay as fresh as possible. Also, mail only towards the beginning of the week so the package will not sit somewhere over the weekend. I am going to try to match partners so the boxes will travel a short distance rather than all the way across the country, but that will depend on the location of those who participate.

3. Select plants that have a likely chance to root. I am going to give a crazy example here, but you would not cut just a daisy blossom off your plant and mail that to your partner or a cutting from a plant that just sprouted from seed a few days before. We want a stem part that normally contains leaves and has the strength to undergo the rooting process. Don't take so much off your "mother plant" that it won't survive the pruning!

Okay - back to being serious: There are many ways to propagate plants - from leaves, sections of roots, grafting, using misting systems, air layering, etc., but this tme we intend to use stem cuttings that will be rooted in a container of sterile sand or some other medium or in water - a simple way! Do not leave lots of foliage on the cutting. The plant will not be able to support lots of foliage as it tries to root and that foliage will take up lots of space in the box. It is fine to leave a few leaves. If this terminology is meaningful to you, try to make sure there are some nodes/nodules (or bumps or stubs) from leaves or offshoots that you have removed where it will be asked to develop roots. That makes the process more likely. I would not recommend that you scrape or scar the cut end before sending it. If the recipient decides to do that before trying to root the cutting, he or she can right before potting it up.

4. Before you wrap the cutting, if you have rooting hormone on hand, you can dip just the end of your cutting in water and then in the rooting hormone (dip lightly - we don't want a rooting hormone snow storm in the package.) The way to package your cutting is to wrap the bottom of each stem with a paper towel or newspaper that is just barely damp. You don't want it saturated. Wrap only the end. I feel like I should say that again in bold: wrap only the end! If you put the entire stem and foliage inside the wrapping, it will likely begin to rot or mold before it is received. I was in a swap where cuttings were totally wrapped in plastic and shipped in the summer (the entire thing was wrapped in plastic- stem, leaves, etc.) and the whole box had totally turned to mush by the time it reached me so we don't want that. You will likely find that you need to cushion the other end of the cutting (the foliage end) as you pack your box. If so, use something that "breathes" like shredded newspaper. Do not pad that part with plastic or something that will hold in too much moisture.

5. I know some members may think they really want to participate in this swap, but may not have 12 - 15 cuttings. If you don't have that many, you can make up the total by adding a bulb, corm, rhizone, seed potato, garlic start, strawberry runner, or some other type of plant material. Not seeds! This is intended to be a cutting swap so please make sure you have mostly cuttings included. (If you personally don't have enough maybe a friend or family member will let you take a few cuttings from some of their plants.) Another possibility is to add a well grown winter sowing plant or two to the package in order to reach your total. Send young plants but ones that are likely to make it; not one with just two tiny wispsy roots.

6. Label each plant cutting and if you have information about how best to prepare it for rooting, add that as a note.

7. If there are some things you would really like to receive (e.g. cuttings of herbs, cuttings to grow shrubbery, cuttings for house plants, roses, or whatever) you can list that when you sign up. Keep in mind, you may or may not receive it. Do not send things that are invasive. Make sure all cuttings are free from disease and pests. If you are sending something that is already rooted, rinse most of the soil from the roots and then package it like we listed for the cuttings.

Sorry for all the rules, but cuttings are wonderful if they are shipped carefully. Aren't we a thrifty bunch to try to share our plants in this way?)

Mail your package by May 15th.I am making this early so all boxes will be received before the Memorial Day Holiday; that holiday weekend would be a long time for cuttings to sit in the mail.

If you fear you will not be at home when the box arrives (maybe you are traveling early in May), just let us know when you sign up and you and the person who sends to you can work something out.  All boxes, even the special arrangment ones, if we have any, need to be mailed by May 29th so we can wrap up this swap by early June and move on to the next one!

Things that typically do well - help me out by posting some ideas to the thread:
most herbs - rosemary, oregano, mint..., shrubs like forsythia, quince, many salvias, plants like brugmansia, many houseplants, most antique roses root well, confederate rose, Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus, ivy or geranium cuttings, dusty miller, impatiens, sedum, pussywillow or other willows, kiwi, blueberry cuttings, hardy mums, night blooming cereus, kerria japonica, angelwing begonias, St. John's Wort, pothos.
Coleus are very easy to root so if you have some in a greenhouse or that you overwintered indoors or if you just bought a large enough plant that you can spare some of it, those are fine to send!

Of course you may have some bulbs that multiplied and can be thinned or iris rhizomes or garlic starts or corms from glads. Do not wrap those or seed potatoes in a moist paper towel. Keep them dry for shipping.

Keep thinking of ideas! You can look for information on how to root your cuttings online, but let's share and post ideas about what you have good luck rooting and methods you have used with success (or maybe what to avoid!)

We will leave the rooting system up to the receiver. I usually dip the end in rooting hormone and place the cutting in semi-shade. You will need to keep it moist, but not soaking wet. With our weather here, I just water thoroughly every day or maybe a few times a day until roots develop. Some people "tent" the container in clear plastic to keep it moist and if that is how you are usually successful, that is fine. With our humidity, I don't usually need to do that. Some people put cuttings directly in the ground and cover them with a jar. Too hot here to do that, but it may work well where you are.

I hope after the swap you will come back to say how you rooted things and what was successful. We all want to learn more.

Shirley made the April Swap a hard act to follow! The poetry was so much fun and I defintely learned more about poetry. Good job, Shirley!

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share

Hi Jeanne! I would love to join your group and this swap but I do not have GW feedback. I used to trade about 5/6 years ago before my son was born. I have traded with you in the past - but it was a long time ago. Since I do not have current feedback I would be willing to send my box first if others would feel more comfortable with that. Thanks.
Stephanie

o

Nice to "see" you again, Stephanie. We were in some fun swaps at the same time several years back!
Please send me a message by e-mail so I will have your e-mail address and can respond better about membership.
Jeanne

o

Good idea...count me in, please!

o

A big welcome to Stephanie who has joined our group!

So far for the Snip and Share Swap we have:
sandlapper_rose
fabraholic216
jaynine

Sill lots of time for joining in. I know some of you still need to let your gardens warm up a bit!

Jeanne

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 22:50

Hi Stephanie, welcome to FOTESS! I'm so glad you decided to join us! When you have time, come on in and tell us about yourself, especially what you do with your garden, what you like to read, and any recycling/upcycling tips you have. Welcome!
Oh, almost forgot - I'm in for this swap, but be prepared for all kinds of questions!
Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Hello
I love cutting swaps and I have lots to share .
So please sign me up.
Michelle
Ps I'm in phoenix so im gonna look for some aloes with pipe.

o

Glad you can join in Shirley and Michelle.

Now we have:
sandlapper_rose
fabraholic216
jaynine
sjc48
micyrey

I went to a mosaic workshop last evening. Something I had never tried before. Lots of fun! I will definitely make more mosaic things. My starting piece was a flower pot. It needs to be grouted, but needs drying time first.

Jeanne

o

This sounds like fun and I need to get more experience in starting cuttings.

o

I would like to join this one!
Thanks, Alana

o

My computer or this website just did something really funky to me and made my post another thread!!! Here's what I meant to post over here!

May is usually a crazy month for me so I'm going to pass on the swap. However, you have inspired to try and root some cuttings. I'm going to buy some rooting hormone (Rootone?) tonight and try it over the weekend.

We're looking at some more cold cold weather. We have a freeze warning with a chance of snow for tonight. Crazy! A week ago Monday it was 90! Fortunately next week's weather looks more "normal."

Hope everyone else gets to play in their gardens over the weekend!

o

Updating the list:

sandlapper_rose
fabraholic216
jaynine
sjc48
micyrey
hibiscusfan
poisondartfrog

Let us know how you do with rooting your cuttings, Becky!

I typically have the best luck rooting in July and August when there is lots of humidity here, but that is a hard time to ship things in the mail so we will see about rooting in May. I think it will bring good results.

I forgot to say what kind of cuttings I might like to receive: pelargoniums (or geranimums - the annual kind with the big flowers) - I would especially love to get some scented geraniums, none of mine survived recently. I can save about 60-70% of them year to year by overwintering them in the garage so they are fun to grow and I pot them up and keep them on our little front porch. Rose cuttings, especially antique roses, but other would be fine, too, especially if you know the name of the variety. I have very good luck with mums and coleus, so they are always welcome. I would love to try flowering quince, pussy willow, witch hazel, fatsia japonica, weigela, climbing hydrangea or regular hydrangea, plectranthus, confederate jasmine, winter daphne, bridal wreath spirea, pawpaw, sweet potato vine (very easy to root), sedum 'Autumn Joy' (have some, but would like more), Thanksgiving or Christmas cactus (yup, all of mine died), or more types of salvia. I grow lots of salvias and find they do really well here. I also enjoy getting variegated plants - flowers or foliage. Obviously those are just suggestions. I will be happy with anything... and surprises are always fun to receive so don't feel at all intimidated by the list!

Oh, and I also have a kiwi vine and I understand you need a male and a female in order to get kiwis. This is a plant from a cuttings swap that we had on GardenWeb with another group and it rooted and has continued to grow for me for maybe two years now! (It also spends the winter in my garage. I don't know if that's necessaary.) I could use a kiwi cutting and hope that brings me to two of the opposite sex. Gee, growing kiwi is like Noah's Ark - two by two!

If anyone else wants to post a "suggestion list" - that's fine and if anyone who has signed up can match several of the suggestions on someone's list, let me know by e-mail and I will see if I can arrange it so you send to that person.

I am really getting excited about the May swap!

Jeanne

o

Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 21:39

Hi Everybody!
I would be interested in cuttings of shade/partial shade plants, any kind except heucheras. And I too love surprises!
I will have huechera cuttings, coral bells, several colors. I'm not sure I did them right, but it worked last year, so I just recently potted up some more.
Last year, I noticed some of my older coral bells were dying out in the middle (I know, I should have divided them), and spreading out from the center. I took the new growth and dipped them in rooting hormone and potted them up. All three people who bought them last year said that they are thriving! So I did the same thing this year.

I did kind of the same thing with Russian sage. I always trim them back in the spring, and last year, I took 6-8" pieces of the new growth at the end of the old growth, if that makes sense, and soaked them for a few days and then potted them up. Same thing this year. I've had good reports on them.

I don't know if I am doing this right, or if these could even be called cuttings. And that's why I joined this swap, so I could learn.

Hopefully, people more knowledgable than I will chime in with their experiences.

Have a great night!
Shirley!

o

That was a good idea to list some of what you could send, Shirley.

I can work according to what my partner would like to some extent. I'll list some possibilities though that would likely root well: roses, forsythia, various mint, oregano, rosemary, salvia, St. John's Wort, brugmansia, variegated ivy, pothos, yellow shrimp plant, kerria japonica, hydrangea, spirea, viburnam, geranium (if mine have grown large enough at that point), southern variety of blueberry, mums, many others - these just popped into my head. I will also look through what has come up from winter sowing and there may be a few possible small plants that I can include if I don't have enough cuttings that I think my partner will like.

Rain again last night. Hooray! The ground will be softer for digging. I want to plant my seed potatoes today. I have Adirondak Blue and Yukon Gold - found them at Lowe's for 25% off. They need to go in the ground soon though. Unforuntely I need to dig old stuff out of my rose garden in order to make space to plant them. I am going to try to go into town later where a group is having an herb festival. At one point I was going to try to stay there for most of the day and attend the two talks, etc., but my friend who was going to go with me can't go now, so I think I will just stop in to see the plants, crafts, vendors, etc. If I go, I'll let you know what I saw - or brought home with me. LOL

Jeanne

o

Nice lists.
I have a couple of different Weigelas, Spireas, Salvias, Loniceras, Contorted Hazelnut, Flowering Quince Cameo, and I am sure several others.
Alana

o

Thank you everyone for allowing me to join your group. I am just getting back to Garden Web now that my son is 4 and can entertain himself for short times. I also have a daughter who is 8. So, while I have continued to garden since he was born - I have not had much time for swapping stuff or branching out (seriously, no pun intended). I have a medium sized veggie garden and since I live in South Florida my seasons are probably a bit different than yours. The summer is actually my outdoor garden down time compared to winter. I have to plant my tomatoes in early March and again in late August. I have two monster Better Boys who have survived since last Aug. since we hardly had any cold weather this winter. I covered them for our single frost and they made it. I am about to pull them out though as we had a hail storm (very rare for us with some hail up to 1.25 inches) that beat almost everything to shreds. I am going to put in a bunch of cowpeas and try Seminole pumpkins for the summer along with a couple of cherry tomato plants that take the heat better than most.

I have recently gotten into house plants because we had the siding and some other wood replaced on our house and my daughter's asthma and allergies had a flair up. I got some of the "Exotic Angel Plants" from Walmart and also potted up some similar plants from my and my Mom's yards. Down here a lot of house plants are actually "yard plants" for us LOL. The plants have seemed to help my daughter's asthma calm down although I have no scientific proof of this.

I have also gotten into rooting cuttings since last year and will share my method (which also involves recycling). I like to use empty milk jugs, soda bottles, water bottles, and/or juice bottles. Remove and discard the lid. In the middle of the bottle or a bit lower than the middle cut around three sides of the bottle and a little of the fourth side if you need to (the uncut part is your hinge). Place a small pot or pots inside the bottom of your container (I have been known to use washed styrafoam "to go" cups from drive throughs or kid's meals with drainage holes poked in them). I fill my pots with damp potting soil although some people prefer to use vermiculite or seed starting medium, etc. I take my cuttings and scrape a little on the bottom sides of the stem. I dip them in rooting hormone and use a pencil to poke a hole in the soil. I insert the cutting and firm the soil around it. Then I close my jug or bottle and either jam the top down into the bottom a little or secure it closed with a piece or two of tape. This holds in the humidity and the outer contianers are usually tall enough to accomidate the cuttings. I check them every couple of days and water them a little if they need it. In a few weeks my cuttings are usually doing fine. It is important to keep them in the shade and in the summer I keep mine in the house because when it's 98 degrees here with high humidity (not uncommon in the summer) I have accidently cooked a cutting or two. Ooops! I also keep a couple of milk jug bottoms in the back of my van because they are great to put under plants you are transporting home to keep your car from getting dirty and to keep the plants from rolling around. I collect rainwater in buckets under where it drips down on our porch and store it in the shed in milk jugs and other bottles to use to water my plants. I also use the buckets our cat litter comes in for this and other things as well. A fun recycled project for little kids is to collect empty cardboard boxes from food, toiletry items, etc. Do not break them down, instead keep them as they are and tape the open end shut. When you have collected quite a few different sizes and shapes you can present the kids with what we call "Box Blocks" to build amazing things with. When the kids get tired of them you can then break them down and stick them in your recycling or use them another way.

For fun and attractive seed starting I like to use the little individual applesauce plastic cups. I poke a few drainage holes in the bottom and fill with damp potting soil or seed starting mix. Plant your seeds and then place them in vintage (or current) teacups. The applesauce cup with holes allows for drainage and the teacups look cute on a windowsill. Thrift shops and yard sales are great for vintage teacups/lidless sugarbowls. I can usually get them for .50 to $1. I get most of my pots and planters this way too. I wash them by hand and then stick them in the dishwasher. I feel they're pretty sanitary by then.

I am excited to try any new cuttings. I would especially love african violets, house plants, mini roses or old garden roses, edible plant cuttings, flowering vines or plants, shade tolerant plants, but anything is fine really. My only request is that it is something that does not need a winter dormant period with really cold temperatures because we don't get that down here. My mother has been unable to get rid of the Oxalis that is growing wild in her yard and can hardly believe that some people pay money for it as a house plant. : )

Again, thank you for welcoming me to your group.

Hugs,
Stephanie

o
RE: New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share Stephanie's post

I forgot about the reading part! Please forgive my long post. I love to read just about anything. Some of my favorite books are: The Posionwood Bible and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle both by Barbara Kingsolver, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett, The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series, A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith, and Erma Bombeck books. I am an audio book addict since the children were born. It's my dream come true (haha) someone to read out loud to me while I fold laundry, wash the dishes, cook, and clean. Plus, the reader doesn't get tired or complain about my choice of books. My darling Husband even got me a cd player that mounted under the kitchen cabinet for my birthday one year so I could listen to my cd's in there. He's so sweet!
Stephanie

o
PSA: White Powders in Parcels

Jeanne, just a note for all of your swappers regarding the rootone. When you use it, make absolutely sure none will leak out of the package. At the post office, any envelopes or parcels leaking white powder gets detained and inspected, causing long delays in the delivery time, and the cuttings probably won't survive the trip. The reason for this is the trouble we had with arsenic a few years ago, remember?
We've had a couple of scares over the last few years at the post office I work in. Thankfully, the hazmat teams never found poison, just seashells which had been rubbing against one another, and some baby powder coming out of an open container. While those instances delayed mail delivery by only a few hours, it happened, and I know none of your swappers want to be the cause of any delays, so I thought I'd give you all a heads up.
And on that note, we return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
TTFN!
Dan

o

Stephanie, thanks for telling us so much about you! I love your tips and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite books, too!

Dan, thanks for the information about Rootone (or similiar products.)

And.. oh dear, in Step 4 at the top I forgot to say that after you wrap the end that will hopefully root in a damp paper towel or newspaper, you will add plastic wrap or a plastic baggie, but just over the end where the root should appear, not the whole thing. (Can't believe I left that out.) I usually use a bit of packing tape at that point and sometimes slide in a plant marker (made from blinds from the thrift shop) to tell what the plant is.

Anyway, lots of information on here today so thanks, everyone. Time to make dinner!

Jeanne

o

I'm going to have to pass this month. Hosting the OBF for May :)
See you all in June :D
vina

o

Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 20:52

Okay, the first of many questions!
Can you propogate hostas by cuttings?
Shirley!

o

As far as I know, Shirely, you cannot grow them from a cutting, but you can dig the plant and divide out sections of it as long as you divide it so you get some of the roots attached. Maybe someone has tried rooting one from the stem or leaf and gotten it to work. I have never tried and always thought they need to be divided.

I want to let everyone know that with our new member, Stephanie, I have updated the membership list and will be sending them to you by e-mail with the information as an attachment. If it doesn't get to you or you can't open the attachment, let me know. I am going to try to send it out as soon as I log off.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I worked in the garden instead of going to the herb festival. It had rained so it was easy to dig and pull weeds and we don't have that luxury too often. Of course after a few hours of that I was sore and dirty and just stayed home. I did get my potatoes planted though!

Jeanne

o

Thank you Dan. I will let the recipient apply the root stimulant.
Welcome Stephanie!
Jeanne, please send me the updated list. My version of word distorts the document-I need to update I guess.
Thanks, Alana

o

Add me! Add me!
Warning: I've never rooted cuttings. I'm reading all the posts. I love sedums, prefer outdoor plants, but will be happy with any and all.
I have Autumn Joy, Dragon's Blood (foliage turns dark red in late summer), Burrito Sedum (grows 3" tall, looks like miniature green grape clusters, no flowers), Hardy Mums, Coral Bells, Mexican Spearmint.
Stephanie...love your posts!
Question...what root hormone do you suggest and where do I look/buy?
Heidi

o

Alana,
I will resend your membership list by putting the information in the body of the e-mail.

Heidi,
I couldn't get your e-mail to go through. Maybe if you send one to me, I can just "reply" and it will work. As for rooting hormone, one brand seems to work the same as another for me. You can find it near plant food in most stores - well, those that carry plants and plant food. It's inexpensive and a little jar of it will last forever. LOL

All of you have wonderful things to offer from your gardens!

May begins tomorrow! April sure went by fast.

Jeanne

o

For the remainder of this week I am going to try to find some resources for you on taking cuttings and what to do with yours when they arrive. I found this site and what I recommend is the video at the very bottom of the page. It gives simple instructions and shows how to prepare the cutting for rooting and how to tell when the plant has rooted.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Cuttings-from-Established-Plants

I will say that the hardest part for me when I started rooting cuttings was to leave the cutting alone for a sufficient period of time. I always wanted to pull it out of the soil and check to see if it had roots. (Of course, then I would replace it and peak a few days later...) I highly recommend that you leave it in place and do the "tug test" that the video talks about. They need to stay in place to get a chance to develop their roots.

Another tip is one that I got from a friend. This deals with rooting cuttings in hot, dry weather - pretty typical here. She suggested I bury the pot in the ground. You are only using a small pot for a cutting so it's easy to dig a small hole. That way the rooting medium/soil will stay wet longer than if the sides of the container are exposed to hot, dry air.

Will continue to try to find useful information and if you have tips, please post them.

Jeanne

o

Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 20:48

Hi, hope ya all had a good day!
Jeanne, I can't open the document, could you please send it some other way!? Thanks!
And thank you for the link to the cuttings video - very helpful. I haven't been that far off the mark!
Today was kind of warm with lots of rain - hopefully it will be warm and NO rain tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Welcome to the group Stephanie!
Jeanne,
I didn't get an email from you...not in my spam folder either. Please send/resend. Thanks so much.
It's interesting reading what people have to offer and what they're looking for. Some things I could send include various flavors of mint, a few varieties of catmint, perennial helianthus 'Lemon Queen', Gladiolus x gandevensis 'Boone' corms, 'Jacob Kline' bee balm, geraniums, agastaches~many things!
Nowadays I grow almost all my plants from seed, so I wouldn't mind receiving cuttings of pretty hybrids and would really love getting things that have been passed down or plants that people are particularly fond of. Butterfly, bee or bird attractors are always welcome, too. I guess the question would be, are there any plants I wouldn't like to have??
Have a good night everyone. Happy May Day.
Janine

o

Shirley and Janine - I just tried again. Hopefully second time is the charm!

I have been running the sprinklers and carrying my hose around in my garden. Today it was morning and evening. I watered from time to time before now, of course, but the hot sun and high temperatures we are getting this week will require it or those little winter sowing plants might not make it!

I still have many to move from their winter sowing containers into the ground or into more permanent homes. I love winter sowing even if it is a lot of work at this time of the year - it sure beats buying all those plants - which I never could afford to do!

I was just reading some things about tomatoes. Did you know that you can root tomato cuttings? I wouldn't recommend it for our swap because they probably are not sturdy enough to make it through the mail, but some people do this later in the season to start plants for a second crop of tomatoes.

I tried something never over the weekend - to see if petunias will grow from stem cuttings. We had to repot some beautiful petunias that were really large and some stems broke off, so I decided to "experiment" - LOL

From the "wants" and "have" lists that are being posted, I think any of us will be happy to trade with anyone else. Great ideas, everyone.

Jeanne

o

This is too funny - I was doing a search about mailing cuttings and found something I had posted in 2009 about hostas and "topping" - I had completely forgotten I ever heard about topping. Here's my information:

Topping" - I found this in refence to hostas. When the leaves begin to "bud" in the Spring, scrape away the soil from the base to expose the crown and clean the area. Then carefully make a small vertical cut through the crown. You can make more than one cut if the crown is large enough. Treat the cut with rooting hormone and insert a toothpick to keep the wound open. Cover it back with soil to the same depth as before. By Autumn buds should form around the healed cuts and the next Spring, the new buds will produce new shoots.

Shirley, that won't help you short term, but is a way to increase your hostas in the future. I must admit, I have never tried it.

And I don't know if anyone noticed, but on the web site that I referenced earlier, towards the bottom there is a list of cuttings that typcially root well. I don't think I mentioned pineapple sage earier, but I have that and it is pretty easy to root. Bright red floweres in late summer or into the fall.

Okay, now time for bed...
Jeanne

o

I would love to join but have never tried taking cuttings from plants other than geraniums and of course they all died. I have loads of sedums to share and a quince but nothing else. Sedums are almost like weeds, I just put in the ground and they take hold. LOL!

I would love to try, spirea's, hydranga's, coral bells, weigela's, hardy mums, flowering quince, and some antique rose's for starters. My yard is a fairly new one since I only started 3 years ago after completion of the house and have been growing mostly annuals and perennials. My home is on flat ground with no trees surrounding the area since it used to be farm land. Now I am looking for more permanent bushes, etc,

Ellie

o

Got it, Jeanne. Thank you.

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 17:30

Hi Everyone!
I had a really good day, planting, today. And I figured out that I have several plants that I can take cuttings from: black willow, hackberry tree, spice bush and butterfly bush. I'll also have some butterfly host/nectar plants that I can use to fill in the box, if anyone is interested!
Yeah, most of what I grow is for the butterflies and hummers!
Later!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, May 1, 12 at 18:14

I'm thinking about whether or not I can join the swap this month. Seems like I have too many gardening projects already, but I do love cuttings and they would be easy to send along.

I've successfully done nepeta, geranium (tender & hardy), heuchera, bergenia (pig's squeak), impatiens, coleus, salvia, mints, sedums, lamium & thyme. I prefer the snip & poke method in late spring or early summer for the tall sedums, lamium, heuchera, and when warmer impatiens & coleus.

Some of the lamiums with the silver stripe on the leaves aren't showing that same stripe this year, so maybe they were self sown babies, not the cuttings. I did them directly in the ground, not pots.

Since it's May Day today & I didn't sow annual flowers I went to the store this morning to buy the $.99 sale plants while they still had a good selection. I wanted something other than the common lobelia, snapdragons, impatiens, alyssum, & petunias that I already have hardened off & ready to plant out at camp when it's not so cold & rainy. I was excited to find some unique things like gazania, salipiglossis, bicolor nicotania, dwarf dahlias, & coleus. Our Mother's Day presents will be these flowers this year instead of fuchsias, so I hope our moms aren't disappointed. If I get a chance to go to the Earthworks fuchsia greenhouse I will, but time is running out & they sell out quickly.

Has anyone tried doing cuttings of gazania?

It's only 49 degrees still at 2pm because we've had rain & a few sunbreaks. I've left them all out in my car parked in the sun to enjoy some warmth before moving them to my cold greenhouse or my upright vinyl covered shelf unit. I will move them before I go to work if it stops raining. If it doesn't they'll come to work with me & I'll move them in the morning.

Once they've hardened off the gazania will be fun color for the empty holes in our concrete blocks along the driveway for some of these annuals to fill in since I pulled a lot of sedums for James' parents' sedum garden & planted this past weekend. I sure hope the slugs don't devour them before we can enjoy them. I've tried creeping zinnia & portulaca there, but those are slug favorites and there are crevices in those blocks for them to hide. I skipped over the Livingstone Daisy because they looked cold stressed or pot bound. I liked the winter sown ones a lot last year and were smaller plants than what I saw today with the same vivid pink blooms. The slugs liked them, too.

Happy May Day ~ Corrine

o

Happy May Day, everyone!
May is always a busy month. Isn't it?
That's why I thought this cutting swap would be simple and could fit in with some of our busy schedules.

Updating the list:
sandlapper_rose
fabraholic216
jaynine
sjc48
micyrey
hibiscusfan
poisondartfrog
farmergirl2009
xiangirl
corrine1 - ?

So glad to have many of you joining in.

My information about cuttings for today is taken after I browsed through my copy of the Georgia Gardening Guide. Yes, I'm in South Carolina, but we are neighbors!

These are listed as plants that grow from cuttings:
coleus
fanflower (Scaevola aemyla)
English ivy
periwinkle (Vinca minor)
dianthus

Also, here is a short video on how to prepare rose bush cuttings for rooting. It is really one you can follow for nearly any type of cutting.
http://www.ehow.com/video_7625191_grow-new-rose-bush-cutting.html

I have been looking in my garden to decide what I might send in my swap. I think lots of you are doing the same thing.

See you tomorrow!
Jeanne

o

I'm going to post a contest later in the day. However, to be fair to those who work, you are not going to post your answers until Saturday or Sunday and no, you can't buy things on the list between now and then in order to score higher. LOL It will be about garden tools. I will determine the winner as of Sunday evening.

A small prize to the winner... and just think, this will give you a chance to find your gardening tools!
There may actually be two ways to win the contest and if so, a prize will be sent to each. I am still trying to plan out how I will do this.

Jeanne

o

Hi Everyone,
I joined this group last year for a trade but have not done much since. This is the kind of things I like to do and I have so much to share. BUT I will be traveling for May and June and have to pass. My return date is up in the air. I do hope you all have a great time with this trade, and the list is getting longer. I may not post much but I do read everyday. Guess you can call me a lurker.
Happy rooting
gmom

o

Wed, May 2, 12 at 10:49

Jeanne, the game sounds interesting! But I have to tell ya, my gardening tools are kind of pathetic!
G-Mom/Sharon, nice to hear from ya! The Agastache Lavender seeds that you sent me in one of the swaps did great! So great in fact, I planted out one of the gallon milk jugs of it yesterday. The other two gal. milk jugs are going to be potted up for my plant sale.
Hey, beautiful day here, I'm off to finish the middle beds!
Shirley!

o

Our game for this month and it is open to all FOTESS members even if you are not signed up for the swap this month!

I found so many garden tools, that there will just be this one game. Below is a list of garden tools. I think there are 65 of them. Go through the list and count how many things on the list you have (you can't buy anything that you don't currently have and count it.) Post the number here on the thread by the end of the day on Sunday.

Please Note: Having 1 of the item counts for 1 point. Having 5 of the item still counts for 1 point so if you have 5 wheel barrows, you get 1 point for that item.

The person who has the most points will be the winner and will get a prize. In case of a tie on the game, I will draw a name from those with the highest score.

Yes, I do realize this is a bit ironic because the "simple" that goes with this group is the opposite to buying all of this, but we'll see how it goes.

I would also love it if some of you will post ideas if you have found a way to use something else in order to do the same job without buying the tool - for example using a cut off part of a plastic bottle as a scoop. (Yes, that's one most of us have thought of!)

Here's the list:

Axe
Bee House or Hive (not an unwanted one, one you planned)
Broadcast spreader
Broom (outdoor use only)
Bug Repellent
Bulb Planter
Chipper
Circlehoe
Dibber
Draw/Push Hoe
Dutch Hoe
Electric lawnmower
Flower Pots Not Curently in Use
Garden Fork (large like a shovel, but with prongs or tines)
Garden Hose (regular)
Garden tractor
Gardener's Apron
Gasoline powered lawnmower
Greenhouse/mini or regular
Grow Bag
Heat Mat for Starting Seeds/Cuttings
Hedge Trimmer - fancy or the snip kind
Hose Repair Kit
Hose spray nozzle
Irrigation system (type installed underground)
Kneeling Pad or Kneeling Bench
Lawn (or garden) sprinkler
Lawn Edging Iron or Half Moon Cutter
Lawn aerator shoes
Leaf Rake
Leaf blower
Loppers
Mattock
Outdoor clock (wearing your watch doesn't count)
Outdoor thermometer
Paper Pot Maker (the kind where you use newspaper)
Pitchfork
Plant Snips/Scissors
Planting Bench
Pole Pruner
Pot Lifter (sling type device)
Pruning Saw
Push lawn mower (the kind that does not use any source of power other than the person, not gasoline or electric)
Rain Barrel
Rainfall Gauge
Riding lawnmower
Rooting Hormone
Shoe or Boot Scraper
Shovel
Soaker Hose
Soil Rake
Soil Scoop
Soil thermometer
String trimmer
Tank sprayer
Tiller
Tomato Cage
Trowel
Twine or something intended to tie vines, etc.
Wagon or Dump Cart
Watering Can
Watering timer
Watering wand
Weed Control Fabric
Wheel barrow

If you don't know what some of these are, many are explained and pictures at: http://www.gardentoolslist.com/
and I liked this site because it tells you how to maintain the tool and how best to use it.

Okay, I am not going to send myself a prize, but I think I'll take a look at what is in my garage and see where I stand. I'll let you know...

Jeanne

o
RE: New: FOTESS Swap - Snip and Share

Remember that I am not eligible for the prize, but I was thinking of what I have as I prepared the list and I have 43 of the items listed. Let's see some other totals.

Meanwhile, here is a cutting-rooting site for you to browse later today. It is about rooting herb cuttings in water. Notice it is 3 pages long, so be sure to turn the page.
http://www.herbcompanion.com/Gardening/Water-Works.aspx

Jeanne

o

wow I have more crap than I thought, I mean gardening supplies, I have 46 on the list, but I have some not on your list.

o

"...but I have some not on your list."

LOL... me, too Michelle.

I started to put yard art type things on the list - bird bath, birdhouse, solar lights, fairies, etc. but decided those weren't "tools" - maybe an idea for another month as a game.

Jeanne

o

Wed, May 2, 12 at 22:33

Well, I only have 21 items.
My Landlady's grandson mows the grass and trims (does a very nice job), so I can't count those. I too have some things that weren't on the list. I use my stepladder for hanging baskets and hooking up the solar fountain to the top of the shed. And I use an old tablespoon for digging seedlings out of the WSed jugs when I don't use HOS. A wheelbarrow would be nice but where in the world would I store it!?
Beautiful day here today, it got up to 83 degrees! Got the middle beds "perennial planted", did the same to the raised bed. Great day!
Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Forty Two items are in the shed or garage.

o

Thu, May 3, 12 at 20:42

Somehow I don't think I'm going to win this game.
If you have a chance, check out the Wintersowing Zone Winners thread over on the WS forum. 4 of our members, Ellie-farmergirl, Jeanne, Canyonwind-Annie, and myself made the mile high list! That means that we WSed 100 or more jugs. Are we good or what?
Another nice day here, 85 degrees. It was 70 by 10 this morning. I spent the morning battling with my lasagna bed. I almost wish I hadn't started the darned thing! My patience gave out about 11, so I neatened up the mess a little and walked away.
Have a good night,
Shirley!

o

Sending along a few more sites about cuttings.
The first tells the difference between things like leaf cuttings and hardwood or softwood cuttings.
http://plantpropagation.com/cuttings.htm
(I'll bet many in the group have rooted african violet leaves - yes, a leaf cutting!)

The second listing is from the same general site and gives some examples of how to propagate certain plants. You can look through the list and see ones that may grow from a cutting. Of course, for some we are earlier then they suggest and for some, later. Maybe being in the middle is a good thing.
http://plantpropagation.com/whichtechnique.htm

I went to get more potting soil today and the bag I got was way too big from my back. I am sitting here with ice on it. (Notice I didn't say it was too big for the amount of potting soil I need.)

Well, just about another week gone by.. where does the time go? Soon I will be posting who sends to whom.

Jeanne

o

I am going to pass on snip and share this month! Have fun!

But I can tell you I have 50 items for sure in my garden shed.

My goodness, I have not been on the WS site in weeks. I never even posted my last jug numbers. Mile high...cool!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

My count would be 25, but the wagon is my daughter's and there's a few tools that would probably be my husband's. It's fun looking at the list!
I found my first ditch flowers for 2012 ! I pulled over (there was a great place to park further off the road than the shoulder, it was wet so they pulled out nicely and on I went!) yeah!
Heidi

o

Ellie, Annie, and Shirley - how cool that we are on the Wintersowing site for the number of jugs we planted! I will need to go there to see what they posted. Meanwhile, I have maybe half of my jugs that still need the plants removed and replanted somewhere. I saw this week with the really high temperatures and sun, they are going to be goners if I don't get a move on that. I cut the tops off weeks ago so they wouldn't cook, but I sow the seeds heavily and there is not a lot of space for the roots since I don't make the soil very deep. I have been moving them a few jugs at a time, but I think this weekend will need to be a major "move and plant"! I'll need to get that ice out again for my back. LOL

Heidi, husband's tools count and also daughter's if she is there with you. Borrowed tools do not count though... in case anyone has those in their shed, garage, barn or whatever.

Here is where we stand on the Garden Tools Game:

Jeanne 43
Michelle 46
Heidi 25
Annie 50
Suzanne 42
Shirley 21

There is still time to send in your number! Even if you can't top 50 items, we are curious... LOL

I keep meaning to send along this tip since I have been using this item frequently. I have a jar that originally held the peleted slow-release plant food (Osmocote or one of those) - you know the kind with little holes in the inside lid, so you can shake out the contents a little at a time? Well, our soil is very acidic so I keep lime in it and take the little shaker of lime with me when I plant so I can shake some into the planting area. Lime comes in a very heavy bag so the bag gets emptied into a plastic container left over from some product we bought for the horses and is stored in the garage and then I keep my little shaker handy and refill it as needed. (A garden tool that incorporates recycling!)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jeanne

o

39 garden tools from the list for me (at least that I can find, right now)
Alana

o

Fri, May 4, 12 at 15:55

Just stopping by to thank you, Jeanne, for all the
websites. They have been really helpful to this kind of, sort of, cuttings novice!
I got all my "in-ground" planting done today! What a relief!
All I have left are the flowers for the containers and all of the pansies, which are going to be an all day job. I WSed 16 containers of them!
AND!! I had one of the WSed Columbines from last year, bloom today! It is gorgeous! A Rose Queen, I think.
Shirley!

o

39 tools for me, too, unless a potato fork is equivalent to a garden fork...then it'd be 40.

o

My propagation tip for today is to let you know that there is a propagation board right here on GardenWeb:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/propa/
Lots of good information and a chance to ask questions, too!

It was a little cooler today and cloudy for part of the day so I have been trying to deal with getting my plants out of their winter sowing milk jugs. 32 more left to go!
Shirley, you are moving along at a much faster pace than I am. Of course, I did take a midday nap. LOL I think a big issue is I have to clear garden space to plant them if they go in the ground. Today I was not only pulling grass and weeds, but even had to use an axe to take out a sweet gum tree that was coming up in one of the garden beds. Arg! Sweet gums try to take over our place and this was one that was popping up in the bed from an underground root that was about as big around as my thumb!

Well, that axe got me to the topic of tools. Jaynine, certainly you can count your potato fork. Have you planted potatoes this year? I have started to really like growing potatoes. I have to grow them in a small area so I don't get many, but all the critters seem to leave potatoes alone. There is a bug that gets on the foliage at some point, but it seems like one spraying takes care of getting rid of them. I can handle that. I seldom spray so if plants need lots of chemicals, I typically don't grow them.

One of my tomato plants has a little green tomato on it and my daylilies are starting to bloom. Hooray! However, soon I will need to pull up my sugar snap pea plants. It is getting too hot for them. What is going on in your gardens? We would love to hear. With my winter sowing, I planted lots of things that are new to me this year. It's always interesting to see how they do. dan_the_mailman had a cocktail seed swap about 2 years ago (seeds all mixed together) so I finally planted my "Coneflower Cocktail" - it will be interesting to see what varieties come from that!

Here's our garden tool count now:
Jeanne 43
Michelle 46
Heidi 25
Annie 50
Suzanne 42
Shirley 21
Janine 40
Alana 39

A big thank you to Heidi who took the time to make a list of who offered what kind of cuttings and who asked for certain ones. It will make my job easier when I match the senders on Sunday.

Have a great weekend.
Jeanne

o

Yes, I started winter sowing about 3 years ago and how easy it is to do. I can save the greenhouse for other seeds to start. I did find some geranium seeds that I had bought over 10 years ago and decided to plant in the green house this winter and now I have over 100 12" plants to get planted if only the weather would co-operate. For the past 2 weeks it has been cold and rainy. As far as the winter sowing those jugs also need to be emptied and planted into the ground. Darn weather!

On another note, since I have never done anything with cuttings, yesterday I took a cutting of the quince to see if it will root. How long does it take for cuttings to root? I had an uncle that worked for the park department and in the spring when they trimmed all the bushes etc. he would bring cuttings home and start new plants. His yard was something to behold.

Excited about this swap and to learn something new.

Ellie

o

Sat, May 5, 12 at 21:11

Hey Everyone!
Jeanne, I guess I should have said that all the WSed plants are planted. I still have to do the annuals, which I'll direct sow, hopefully, next week.
Cool and overcast here today, tomorrow is supposed to be better! Sure hope so!
Have a nice Sunday, everyone!
Shirley!

o

I hope no one minds, but I am going to post who you send to this evening. It's a few hours early, but my computer has been in a bad mood all day, so just in case...

I tried to set this up so you would be in closer proximity to the person you send to so hopefully it will cut down on the number of days the cuttings are in the mail and I thought those in the warmer climates (or colder) might have things that suit their partner's garden best. I know it didn't work out perfectly, but at least no one is sending all the way from the east coast to the west or far south to the far north. I tried matching by plants you have and want, but there didn't seem to be enough matches there to worry about doing it that way. I hope the list is okay with everyone.

Corrine, we didn't hear back from you so I'm guessing you decided to sit this one out. I hope I'm not causing a problem for you by posting a few hours early.

Alana (KY) will send to Jeanne (SC)
Jeanne (SC) will send to Stephanie (FL)
Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY)
Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)
Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA)
Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI)
Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH)
Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT)
Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO)

There is still one more day to send in your count for the garden tools contect, so if you want to post a total that will be great.

It was very hot today and I didn't get out to water my plants so I hope I haven't lost any because of it. I will be out there early tomorrow to get the sprinklers set out and started. We were hoping for a pop up thunderstorm, but no such luck! It is so discouraging that you can work for months growing these plants and a hot sunny day or two can kill so many of them. I worked outside until about 10:30 a.m. and just couldn't stand to be out there any more. I think it went up to 94 degrees. If it was cloudy qnd breezy it would help a lot, but no luck with that either.

As for how long it takes cuttings to root, it varies a lot! If I root coleus or an african violet leaf in water, it can have roots in just a few days. Something like a cutting from shrub that roots moderately well might take a couple of months. The temperature and humidity can make a big difference, too. Several years ago I tried many times to root rose bush cuttings. Sometimes they would root in a month (or maybe even 3 weeks), but other times after 2 months the stem would turn black and I knew they were goners. I am really excited to see how all of us do with our cuttings. I will write down the day I start mine and give my best guess about when they have roots.

One more thing I should mention. Sometimes after you set your cutting in the rooting medium and water it, foliage will start to grow. When that happens really soon, it can just be from the water and not indicate that any roots have developed. I always used to fall for that and think I had roots in no time at all! Plants love to fool you.

Jeanne

o

Partners! I peeked in at the right moment.
Temperatures here will be close to 90 for another day or two, then are supposed to drop about 10 degrees for a few days. I will send my cuttings out on Tuesday or Wednesday to take advantage of that cool down.
I can't wait to try some new things!
Alana

o

Sun, May 6, 12 at 12:44

Yea! Partners!
Suzanne, I have your address, when I get a break from potting up seedlings, I'll email ya about the cuttings!
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Shirley!

o

I'll be excited to see what you send, Alana, and hope everyone has good results.

Stephanie, I think I will mail your package right after Mother's Day - probably on that Monday. It has been hot and dry and I haven't watered as much as I like this past week so this week I'll be sure to give the plants that I am going to snip a whole lot of water and get them off to a good start. It might even rain today or tomorrow, but I get excited when I see it in the forecast and then it doesn't seem to happen, so who knows!

Well, after several hours working in the garden, it's off to shower!

Jeanne

o

Shirley and I are wondering if two members will volunteer to be the hostesses for August and September. E-mail one of us if you are interested in one of these months and have an idea for your swap. Shirley is lining up June (with an assistant, I believe, or maybe she is the assistant) and I already have a plan in mind for July. If you are at all worried about being a hostess, one of us will be happy to help you and be a back-up if needed.
So many of you host other groups and we know you have good ideas! Shirley has October planned; then we will likely go back to having the two of us alternate for the rest of the year.
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Annie won our garden tools contest/game.
Congratulations, Annie!
I'll mail your prize to you this week.
Jeanne

o

Alana has offered to be our hostess for September!
Thanks so much, Alana.
Jeanne & Shirley

o

Ellie-your box is coming. I either had to get it done today or wait until next week. I get real busy the next few days and don't want it to sit somewhere on the weekend. Since it's cool and no wind I got the cuttings ready. I have them wrapped up and ready to go. Will put in the mail today.
9405 5036 9930 0003 7620 34
Heidi

FYI=I've used Click and Ship on the internet. You fill out the information, print a label, then mail your box. You don't have to go through the local post office and the delivery confirmation is free. It requires an account and setting up a pay source (credit card, paypal, etc.) I really like it (and my local post office has a few issues).

o

Stephanie -
I changed my mind about when to mail and got your things packed up this evening. I'll mail them out tomorrow morning. I hope you like what I am sending!
Jeanne

o

I was off this morning so I got yours ready Jeanne. They are waiting for the mailman. DC 9405503699300004573516.
I skipped around and tried to include a good range of types. I hope there is something in there you will like!
Alana

o

"Snip and Share" is on its way to Stephanie. I sent her the delivery confirmation number.

Also on its way is the prize for Annie.

I hope the packages reach both of you okay. We might get some rain. Hooray if it happens!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

I did not receive the updated FOTESS membership info. At your convenience, would you please send my way?

Thanks!

Annie

o

Annie, I just tried twice to send the list to you and it won't go through. I am getting a message:

Please contact your Internet service provider
since part of their network is on our block list.

I don't understand that at all. I have been having problems the last few days with my computer so maybe that's it. However, I never got a message like that back from sending you any previous e-mail messages.

Will someone in FOTESS help Annie out by forwarding the list to her - or copying it and resending it?
--- DON'T POST IT HERE THOUGH ---
Thanks so much.

Jeanne

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 16:17

Jeanne, just forwarded the list to Annie.
Annie, please let me know if you don't get it, I'll resend when I get home tonight.
Great planting day today, dodging the raindrops all day, but that's okay, saved me watering!
Shirley!

o

Shirley and Jeanne,

I just responded to your email Shirley and cc'd it off to you Jeanne. The email on the membership info was wrong so maybe that is why it was not going through.

Let me know if you do not receive.

Annie

o

I received your e-mail, Annie, and will correct your e-mail address on the membership list. I'll send an e-mail to the members to let them know what it is because they received what I had on my list.
Glad we are squared away.

Jeanne

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 22:30

Annie, I owe you an apology! I'm sorry I never emailed all the members about your address. Jeanne has already emailed the correction, but just in case:
Everybody, in Annie's address, it is "Meadowpark" not, "Meadow Park".
Sorry!
Shirley!

o

Alana's package arrived today and everything was packed beautifully and appears to be in good shape. She sent me so many things and I know I will love all of them, so wish me luck on the rooting! I have an appointment with my oral surgeon in just a little while - yes, I need to schedule a tooth to be taken out - ouch! Anyway, I will stop back to tell you more later today - about the cuttings, not about my tooth... LOL

Thanks, Alana!
Jeanne

o

Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:52

Ouch is right, Jeanne! Hope it doesn't hurt too badly! How's that for encouragement?!
I just dropped in to say that this is absolutely the last year I wintersow 16 containers of pansies! Already wah-ed about this over on MNF. And I mean it! What a job!
Talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

o

My cuttings are all potted up. Whew! Right now everything is looking pretty good. I didn't think to warn you that the cuttings are very likely to drop leaves or they might just curl up and die. That does not necessarily mean the stem is dead - even if all the leaves are gone. Watch the stem to see if it still has signs of life - green color, same amount of rigidity, not turning black indicating rot, etc. If the stem is alive and goes on to root, it will send out new leaves. The other thing I had not thought to mention is that if you get a cutting of a vine or something like a stem of mint, you can lay part of it across the soil (sideways) and then cover it with soil and that gives it a bigger stem area along which to root. Funny how you think of things as you plant!

Alana was so generous - sending even more than the 12-15 items I mentioned for the swap. I can't possibily list it all, but I could not believe how many items they were that I don't have and I really wanted. I am really, really hoping for good success with rooting! She also sent me a dahlia tuber "Blackbrry Ripple" which sounds beautiful. I need to look it up. Other big favorites - Clematis Belle of Woking, Ginger Mint, Climbing Hydrangea (which I have really wanted for a long time!), Flowering Quince, Contorted Hazelnut, Flowering Almond, a few different salvias, and several cuttings with variegated foliage which I love. Thanks again, Alana. I'll let you know how I do with them.

Now for the "true confessions" part: my husband was going to replace the lawnmower blade and I knew that, but I did not know he emptied out the gasoline where I have some course sand that I use for rooting cuttings. I brought my potting mix and some of the sand indoors to work on potting them up since it was going to get dark soon and I thought I smelled gasoline. So, I aksed - and yes, some dripped onto the sand when he emptied the lawn mower. (Obviously it was not all of the gasoline or I would have noticed the smell immediately.) Arg! I had already potted about 4 types of cuttings, so after that I switched to sand from a different area. Who knows, maybe it will be helpful and not hurtful, but it was not a good way to start. Wish me luck... Alana will be sorry I was the one she sent to! I am sort of laughing about it, but who would think someone spilled gasoline in your pile of sand... the things that happen!

Jeanne

o

Good luck with them Jeanne. After I closed the box I thought of so many more I wanted to send, lol.

o

I'm keeping my eye on my cuttings.
I am experimenting on a method since I have left over used milk jugs. I cut the milk jugs across the middle when I use them so the top part is sort of on a hinge that I create and I can open it or drop it down to make it somewhat closed. All of my cuttings are potted in disposable cups (with drainage holes added) and with about 8 of them I am trying something where I slipped the cup into the milk jug. I think it might help to keep in the humidity, but because it is not closed all the way, I don't really know if it will make a difference. Anyway, if they don't seem to like being in there, they come out easily enough!

I am still planting things from my winter sowing jugs into containers or the ground. I moved 4 more things today. Most have really good roots by now!

Here's where we are with our swap:

Alana (KY) will send to Jeanne (SC) - received
Jeanne (SC) will send to Stephanie (FL) - mailed
Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY)
Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)
Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - mailed
Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI)
Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH)
Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT)
Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO)

Let me know if I miss anyone who has sent or received.
I am also curious if anyone will try to root something in water when it arrives. I almost decided to do that with a few things, but they are all potted and on shelves in my garage for now.

Speaking of my garage, we have a bird who made her nest in a toolbox in the garage. I guess she will be plenty used to us once those eggs hatch. We are in and out of there over and over and over again. One year a bird made her nest in one of my winter sowing jugs. The jug was outdoors and elevated on my picnic table. I posted a picture somewhere on GardenWeb. I worried because the jug only had a side opening and it was getting quite hot, but the eggs hatched and the babies all made it - and flew away. I hope this goes as well. We close the garage door at night so I hope that works out once the babies arrive and need to eat. Maybe we will decide to leave the door up for a few weeks while the babies grow. We'll worry about that when it's time... (both times the bird that made the nest was a Carolina Wren, I believe - they like to hang out around people.

Jeanne

o

Fri, May 11, 12 at 21:35

Hi Everyone!
Depending on what I get, Jeanne, I want to try rooting in water. I remember doing some houseplants that way, years ago.
I saw that pic of the baby bird in the jug, how amazing!

I have a question. I want to send some heuchera cuttings and have been reading about how to do it. All the sites I went to have a warning about patented plants. My plants were bought at a farmer's market and had no name, would it be alright to send these?

I think I'm done with planting other than the direct sowed seeds, which could happen tomorrow! Of course, everytime I think I'm done, I find something else that needs planted or potted up!

All of the plants for the plant sale are looking good. The sale isn't until June 2nd, but I didn't want to make the same mistake I did last year. I waited until 2-3 days before the sale and potted everything up, they looked like crap. Hopefully, this year the plants will have some growth and maybe even some blooms!

Off to bed!
Shirley!

o

Jeanne,

I received my prize...a deck of cards!

Thanks so much!

Annie

o

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!

USPS says my box was delivered 2 days ago but it didn't get delivered again today. Wonder who they delivered it to. It's going to be in the 80's by Monday and I am worried about it. Monday am I will go down to the post office and talk to someone about it.

Our weather has been really unpredicable lately. I lost all my geraniums and marigolds that I planted out. Frost hit 4 times this week even though the past 2 nights I have covered. Even the lilies, columbines and bleeding hearts froze. I just can't believe those froze also. When I looked out the windows this morning, I thought maybe a deer had jumped the fence and knocked down alot of things, but it looks like they froze instead. Guess there isn't anything I can do about it. Now the temps are going to start to rise.

On a better note everyone have a wonderful day tomorrow whatever you are going to do.

Ellie

o

Sun, May 13, 12 at 9:00

Happy Mother's Day!
I hope everyone has a great day!
Shirley!

o

Happy Mother's Day from here as well. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Ellie, that is so odd about your package being reported as delivered, but it's not there. I wonder if you can ask about it at your post office. Of course, since cuttings will not last a long time in shipment, we may need to see about getting another box sent to you. I'm sure someone in the group will "snip and share" if we need to take care of a missing box. Let us know what you hear when you contact the post office.

Annie, glad you received your prize - got a bit worried when I saw the street name needed to be corrected. I had it written the incorrect way.

Shirley, as for the heuchera (or other plants), you cannot vegetatively propagate plants that are patented. However, it sounds like you don't know what your heuchera plants are. They are supposed to have been sold with a warning on them if they are patented. Not all plants are patented so the ones you have may not have carried a patent. E-mail me if you have more questions about it.

Okay, I am going to enjoy a nice leisurely Mother's Day breakfast and then hope to get out to plant more of my winter sowing plants. We had a long day at the emergency vet with our dog yesterday - I had planned to do lots of work in the garden, but the pets come first even if the weather was really nice.

Enjoy the day!
Jeanne

o

Stephanie,
I totally meant earlier to ask you if your package from me arrived. It should have gotten there on Thursday or Friday. I pulled out the delivery confirmation number and it told me no information was available and maybe my post office could give me some information. Wow, we sure are having problems with delivery confirmation this month! Makes you wonder... I was a bit worried that I used the self-service machine instead of standing in line, but it has always worked before and odd the other things mailed the same way went through fine with no problem. Anyway, if your package has not arrived or arrives so late that the cuttings will not make it, I will send another box. I mailed Annie's prize and a mug rug for a swap at the same time as the cuttings and they went first class mail instead of priority and both of those were received, and Annie's package went from SC to CA. Crazy!

Meanwhile, my cuttings are looking pretty good. Looks like I have only lost one at this point and I can't remember which one it was. The pineapple sage arrived looking like it wouldn't make it, but I trimmed off most of the leaves and soaked everything so the ends were in water (they probably soaked for 15-40 min.) until I planted them in sand/potting mix and it is looking really good now.

Jeanne

o

Michelle,
If all goes well, I should have your cuttings in the mail tomorrow. I haven't forgotten about you!
Janine

o

Hi Ellie!
I'm Sorry Cat
I'm sorry this happened to you. I had fun snipping and cutting. I can sure try it again. The post office-can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Yikes!
I had a short list of things you'd like. Is there anything else? Really, I'd rather send you things you'd really like. Email me through GW.
I was excited when I checked on the internet and it said it was out for delivery. I breathed a sigh of relief, but oh well. That's one of those stories we'll ask God about in heaven. Maybe they arrived in the mail at some lady's house who loved plants, her kids ignored her on Mother's Day and she had something fun in the mail to brighten her day. (That's better than other alternatives I can think of.) I'll update my plant list on GW and you can see if there's anything you'dlike a cutting of!
Heidi

o

Mon, May 14, 12 at 12:05

Suzanne! Your package is on it's way! DC# 03120090000052547336
I am really hoping these cuttings arrive in good condition and that they do well for you!
Wonder what's up with the Post Office?
Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Shirley your box is now sent DC#03113260000217772794

I made a copy of the tracking for my box that was delivered on the 11th and took to the PO and the only thing they said was that it was probably mis-delivered and hopefully someone would put back in the mail so it could be delivered at my house. Good grief and we pay the PO money for their service.

The temps are now suppose to be in the 80's all week now that my yard froze last week when the temps dropped to 28 degrees one night. Today going to pull the marigolds and probably the geraniums (all 100 of them).

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Ellie

o

Mon, May 14, 12 at 13:31

Ellie, thanks for the heads up!
I'm so sorry about your plants-that has to be heartbreaking. I have lots of WSed plants,
would gladly send them your way.
Email me and I'll let you know what I have.
Shirley!

o

Michelle,
Your package is out in the mailbox; DC#9405 5036 9930 0010 5276 88. Hope you like everything!
Janine

o
RE: New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share,..

My mail was delivered, but he left the outgoing package hanging there. Nice...

o

Jaynine,
I sent your package out today, I hope they arrive OK. The conformation is:03110820000198371363

Suzanne

o

Hi Everyone!

I have my box for Alana filled, addressed, and ready to mail tomorrow morning. I will post the delivery conformation number tomorrow. I'm sorry I have not replied until now. My son has a sinus infection that has needed 2 different antibiotics to treat it. I hope you like the cuttings Alana. I was able to squeeze alot in there.
Jeanne - your box was awesome! I have everything potted up. Pretty much everything looked good. The chocolate vine may or may not make it but I have my fingers crossed because that's a great plant! Jeanne sent much more than was called for and I am so greatful! I am also especially excited about the two roses. Yeah! Thanks Jeanne!
Hugs,
Stephanie

o

Whew, wiping sweat from my brow. So glad that package made it to you, Stephanie. I was going to call the post office tomorrow to ask what it meant that the delivery confirmation number never showed up when I searched it. I think it must be that they never entered it in the system.
Hope you have good luck with your cuttings, Stephanie, and I hope your son feels better soon. Sinus infections sure do hurt.

Lots of packages sent out and on their way! I'll update the list again soon.

I put my cuttings outside in the gentle rain that we had today, but now they are back in the garage in case it pours overnight. You should see the pineapple sage and hydrangeas - they are looking great. I was so tempted to dig and see if there were any roots. I told you I am bad about wanting to do that, but I promise, I won't do it. I'm sure I lost more cuttings from that temptation than from any other reason. LOL

Jeanne

o

Alana's package is on it's way. I mailed it today. Delivery conformation number is: 03113260000090038871. I hope you like it!
Stephanie

o

Time for an update on where we are with this swap:

Jeanne (SC) will send to Stephanie (FL) - received
Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - mailed
Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- ?
Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - mailed but...?
Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - mailed
Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - mailed
Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - mailed
Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - ?

I will give this a little longer and then try to check on the swaps where we have question marks posted. The mailing deadline is not here yet, so thanks to so many who mailed early in the month. We have a lot of packages that are on their way or have been received.
Here in SC, we have gotten more rain so my garden is happy right now. The daylilies are just beautiful!
Jeanne

o

Wed, May 16, 12 at 14:13

Ellie! I just got back from mailing your MNF package out and found the cuttings package from you, waiting for me!
WOW!! You really outdid yourself! I don't think I'm going out to State Park tomorrow, will be working with all these cuttings instead!
Ellie sent me cuttings of:
Mockorange
Lavender
Agastache
Garden Sage
Fish Plant-a house plant
Honeysuckle Shrub
Ajuga Mahogany
St.John's Wort
VAnhoutte spirea
Sedum Autumn Joy
Sedum
Lilac Kim
Flowering Quince
Uva-Ursi-Bearberry
Rosemary, and a rooted lupin!
These were very well packaged and that list includes at least 4 plants I really wanted!
Ellie, thank you so much for your generosity. This was just great! I can hardly wait to see how these do!
Shirley!

o

Sorry! Michelle's package was picked up yesterday and is expected to be delivered tomorrow. Hope the cuttings arrive in decent shape.
My package came today and I've got my cuttings soaking right now. Suzanne very generously sent white wisteria, star magnolia, banana cream daisy, red butterfly bush, wandering jew, many mums and something unmarked that I feel like I should know, but don't. Forsythia maybe? Thanks so much, Suzanne! I love them!

o

Hey guess what...my box showed up today 6 days after USPS said they delivered it. The only plants that made it were the sedums and they were rooted. The rest were very mushy. Thank you Heidi for sending. I planted the sedums already in the rock wall AND I don't have these. So thank you so much.

Ellie

o

Ellie,
I will be happy to send a box of cuttings to you. I think that's only fair since I am the hostess. Heidi obviously sent and I don't feel like she should have to send again. None of us have control over the post office. I will try to get a package to you early next week and will post when I do.
(Things like this don't give us much confidence in the post office, do they?)
Jeanne

o

Jeanne thats really nice of you but you should not have to replace either since it was the post office that messed up. After all there were 2 nice sedums that were rooted and survived. I am finding even through the seed exchanges seeds are lost with or without the DC# also.

It has finally cooled down so maybe today I can start to plant the big garden. Happy day everyone!

Ellie

o

Thank you Stephanie, for a full boxful of cuttings.
I did not have a single one of the 17 she sent. My favorite is Devil's Backbone which I have almost grown several times. The sterile Passiflora is another good one. Two different Croton's, two different Philodendron's, a Ficus pumila and several others round out the box.
The Coleus cuttings did not travel as well as the other items in the box, but if they don't make it, there are plenty of others that should.
Thank you again! I have to get busy.
Alana

o

Thu, May 17, 12 at 21:13

I got all my cuttings potted up today. I mixed a little bit of sand with the same potting mix I used for WSing; Ellie had already dipped the roots in rooting hormone and all I did was moisten the cells after inserting the cuttings. I am rooting the fish plant in water.
I really hope the Lilac Kim, the rosemary, the flowering quince and sedum Autumn Joy take root! I'm excited to see if this works for me. Don't quite know where I'm going to plant all of these, but I guess I'd better wait and see if they all survive!
Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Hi!
Ellie, I'm glad the sedums made it and that they were ones you didn't have. I'm sure they are soaking up the cool weather, water and fresh air now that they're out of the box.
Michelle, I received your package of cuttings today. Thank you so much. I don't have any of these. She sent:
Purple Clematis
Wigelia French lace
Butterfly Bush both Miss Ruby and Dubonnet
Vibernum Autumn Jaz
Spearmint
English Lavender
Forsythia, New. of Gold
Everything arrived in good shape. I will pot them up when I'm done here. This is a new ball game for me...cuttings. Every time I read cuttings I thought of scrapbooking! Tonight my daughter and I dug up a peony. An elderly lady lived in a tiny house surrounded by flowers for years. I knew her when I worked in the nursing home and she was a resident. She has passed away and her home has been torn down. Once things grow so tall someone comes in and mows it all off. I've been "saving" flowers from there for 3 years. I have 2 more peonies I plan to "save". Tonight I pulled out several handfuls of weeds to get to the peony roots and then discovered they were coneflowers--different than the variety I had. They came home with me, too. I like to think the lady is looking down on her flowers as I plant them in my garden and in gardens around town and that she smiles.
Shirley-how many pansies? I believe that goes back to our previous category of "What Was I Thinking?" I keep thinking of you and wondering what you're doing with them all. I have too many volunteer marigolds, but not that many! I'm sure they're beautiful, though!
Heidi

o

Thu, May 17, 12 at 22:53

Heidi, you're right, and I did keep thinking "what was I thinking!" I ordered the seeds in bulk, last October from Harris seeds, because, just once, just once, I wanted enough pansies to do the containers the way I really wanted to. And it worked.

The two long containers on the back porch are stuffed with Chiantis and Boleros; the long hanging bed on my raised bed is stuffed with Karma Midnight Suns, and 9 containers, 3 gift pots and the bottom layers of the raised beds are stuffed with red, blue, purple, yellow, white and orange Deltas.

Yes, it should be beautiful, but Lord, the work! I have to admit, about half way thro, I was thinking "Never again." They are my favorite flower, gee, did you guess, and they are really good WS seeds. I couldn't do single plants, they germinated too thickly, but I tried to only get 2-3 in a clump. That's what took so long.

And now that I have recovered somewhat, I am already checking Harris Seeds out, to see what kinds I can do next year! Maybe I'll plant them in cell packs, that might make it a little easier. And Heidi, I have to tell you that I have done the same thing with marigolds-I used to start them inside and then transplant each one out, the whole way across the front porch - big DUH, couldn't I just plant the seeds in the ground?

And yes, that little old lady IS smiling - good job, Heidi!

There are some really nice boxes of cuttings being sent out. Can't wait to hear how everyone does with them. Jeanne, this was a great idea!

Okay, switching back over to the NBA - Go Indy!
Shirley!

o

We have had many days with rain lately and my gardening is looking so much better than usual. I love it!

Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - received
Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- received
Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - received
Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - received
Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - received
Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - received
Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - mailed

Great job everyone! We are waiting to hear that Michelle received her box of cuttings and I insist that I send some to Ellie just so she can be part of the fun trying to see if our FOTESS cuttings will root. I am not going with delivery confirmaton on it though. I guess you'll excuse me since it's a replacement box and not the swap box. Two of us really had bad luck with delivery confirmation this month.
So, soon the swap will be completed.

Heidi, it's great that you are able to rescue those plants.

Time for bed here so I'll "see" everyone tomorrow.

Jeanne

o

hello
I got my box will post what I got later.
michelle

o

Fri, May 18, 12 at 9:04

I didn't see where Suzanne posted that she got her box.
Am I missing something here?
Shirley!

o

You are so right, Shirley. Thanks for keeping me straight on this one! I must have checked the wrong column when I noted that she sent. Sounds like your package will be there soon, Suzanne.

Glad your pacakge arrived, Michelle.

Will update the list towards the end of the day.

Jeanne

o

Cute Flower Moment of the Day

Today is the last day of school and I was leaving the elementary when the morning bell rang. A boy, about 4th grade, opened the door and peaked in. He didn't care he was late. He scanned the area to see if any of his friends were around...nope, just this mother person (me). He slid into the building sideways and at the end of his furthest arm was a potted geranium. He held it as low as he could near his side. He was mortified. I so wanted to say, "Ohhhh! What a beautiful plant! Your teacher will love it!" I stopped myself, nodded to the young man once, and moved on. Poor guy...just behind him came his sister skipping through the door with another potted geranium. She was pleased as punch to be taking it to her teacher. He just wanted to melt into the tile floor!

o

Sorry for the late posting. I received Shirleys package on wednesday, potted them up and headed for the camper where I am now. In her package was Clematis, Russian Sage, Black Willow, Black Elderberry, Butterfly Bush,two kinds of heuchera and one or two others that I can't think of now. Was very pleased with her package and can't wait to see them root. Thank you Shirly for such a nice package with everything so well packaged!

o

hello
heidi sent me

bee balm jacobe cline
coreopsis
mint:
lemon
cat
orange
curly
ginger
sedum angelina
veronica
salvia
agastache summer glow
red and spider web hen and chicks
phlox jeana
sunflower lemon queen
hops (vine?)

thanks bunches I will get them potted up today

michelle

o

Everyone's package has arrived now although who know where one of them went on its travels!

Thanks for being so prompt with mailing.
Ellie, you will get a surprise from me next week. All of the rain we got this week sure made things grow so finding places for cuttings should be no problem.

Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - received
Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- received
Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - received
Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - received
Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - received
Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - received
Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - received

Shirley will have something great coming up for us in June so keep watching.

Jeanne

o

Fri, May 18, 12 at 20:04

Suzanne, I'm glad the cuttings got there and are all right, so far! Please remember the warning about the black willow!
I'll be posting June's FOTESS swap right after Memorial Day. In the meantime, use the rest of May to come back on this swap and let us know how your cuttings are doing!
Shirley!

o

Michelle~I sent you the package...sorry I didn't include a note! Hops is a vine. I saw it on your want list and included it, even though it is very vigorous and can become a pest. Same with the Lemon Queen Sunflower. Catmint isn't really a mint, but it can be used medicinally. I just use it as an ornamental and love it. Hope you have good luck with everything.
Janine

o

Sun, May 20, 12 at 11:11

Great cuttings everyone. I hope they all root! You gardeners are always generous.

I haven't had time to say hello between my 2 part time jobs and the gardening work here. Our edible garden is growing, but it's still too cold at night for the tomatoes & cucumbers to be in the ground. I put out zucchini transplants, but beans and squash need warmer soil temps yet.

What a surprise to have no rain other than a few sprinkles for over 2 weeks when our dry season doesn't usually arrive until after July 4th other than a 5 day stretch here & there!

It's kept me busy watering, setting timers, & hooking up the soakers and sprinkler hoses. Thankfully, we have a good supply of all of those and most were in place before the dry stretch. If we had to water like this all the time I wouldn't have such large gardens! My rain barrels and buckets emptied the first week. It's like another part time job remembering everything.

I went through some hardwood cuttings we did in January last night & tossed about 1/3 of them. Dogwood, elderberry, spirea, escallonia, and burning bush look like they may have rooted, but the others were dry sticks with no leaves. I topped off the pots with more leaf mold and will hope for the best when the rains come to get them in the ground soon. It might be too early for that and I'll have to pot them up to hand water all summer or maybe move them all to a garden area where I have a sprinkler hose and sink them in the ground. I have the cutest Japanese maple and rhododendron plants in 2 inch pots to pot up until large enough to duke it out in the gardens. Those babies make me smile every time I peek at their meek stems.

Hmmm... re thinking the way gardening goes with no rain so early in the season.

Good luck everyone on the cuttings~
Corrine

o

Ellie,
I have the cuttings boxed up and ready to mail tomorrow. It should be interesting to see how long it takes. This time it is just about all the way across the country. Let me know when your package arrives!
I forgot to dip the ends in rooting hormone so they don't have any on them. Usually it washes off from the wet paper towel anyway, Just wanted to let you know.
Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!
Jeanne

o

Hi Michelle!
You sent me cuttings (and what a beautiful card & the hand cream is being put to good use). However, I believe Janine sent cuttings to you. I don't want to take away Janine's thunder!
Heidi

o

How is everyone doing with their cuttings?

I started doing the "tug test" on mine (gentle tug and if you feel resistance, they likely have sent out some roots... or you can just wait for new growth to begin) and I have ginger mint which is really well rooted already and pineapple sage which is lightly rooted. I repotted both of those today. I think I will check on some of the others towards evening. I am pretty sure there is a hydrangea or two that rooted also. I told you how I get too eager to check for roots so I am trying to control myself! LOL

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I received the box today and have already potted up and put in the greenhouse. It is way too cold and windy for the outside. Oh thank you so very much which was way above and beyond. I'm excited and really hoping that they all root.

Excited how everyone else's cuttings are doing. Have a great day.

Ellie

o

So far all of mine but the Coleus look pretty good, but I won't be tugging on them just yet, lol.

o

Thu, May 24, 12 at 9:26

A couple of mine don't look very good, but both sedums, rosemary, lilac, flowering quince and the uva ursi responded to very gentle tugs! Nothing yet on the fish plant.
In other news! My wild indigo is starting to bloom! And the Clematis are just beautiful! Everything is just a tad bit earlier this year, for some reason.
Later,
Shirley!

o

I listened to a great webinar on PLANTING NATIVES. If you plant a native tree it can support up to 45 different caterpillars vs. an alien tree that may only support 2 or 3. Fewer caterpillars=fewer birds and that spirals into endangerment.
Activity: Draw an aerial map of your yard/property. Now draw where you walk. (Lawn is for walking on.) Consider filling in everything else with trees, shrubs and (on the edges in the sunlight) flowers. You create a 'habitat.' Put in a winding path thruogh your habitat in the backyard!
Didn't realize how many plants have come from other continents. I always figured a plant was a plant-at least it wasn't concrete!
Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on state for Native List

o

Thanks for sharing the natives list, Heidi. I will be looking through it again and again.

Ellie, so glad that package made it to you in time for you to try to root some things. Crazy mail service... I matched people so the package wouldn't have to travel so far and the one that made it to you quickly was from across the country. Makes you wonder, but I am just glad it got there.

A few of my cuttings looked dead and got pulled out and tossed, but I am hopeful that many more will make it. Shurbs and things like that take longer to root than the soft stem plants. Our hot weather is upon us now though and the rain had stopped. It was nice when we had it. Now I am dragging my hoses and sprinklers around once again. Our daylilies are just fantastic this year. I really enjoy going out to see which ones are in bloom each day.

Jeanne

o

Fri, May 25, 12 at 10:47

Yea for daylily blooms and sunshine!

We've had enough daily soaking rains this past week that my rain buckets are 1/2 full. The hostas are loving it as are the hardy fuchsias showing growth daily. Lettuces and onions are thrilled with the moisture this week! The columbines and pansy blooms took a hit with the windy rainstorms, but at least there are buds.

I still have some totes of tomatoes & cucumbers in my car that I park in the sunshine for a mini-greenhouse effect. Plus I see them daily & don't forget about those little plants. Overnight lows of 46 with highs of 55 are too cold. I am impatiently waiting for warmer weather.

I see color in the buds on my earliest, a fragrant yellow, so I know more summer sunshine is coming...

Have a great long weekend everyone,
Corrine

o

Happy Birthday to Michelle!
We hope you have a wonderful day.

Jeanne & FOTESS Friends

o

Sun, May 27, 12 at 12:51

Happy Birthday, Michelle! Hope you have a really great day!

Well, I lost 5 of the cuttings, but the ones I really wanted: lilac, both sedums, fish plant, ajuga, sage, rosemary, flowering quince, spirea, honeysuckle shrub and uva ursi are all rooting! Still waiting on the others.

I will be posting the June FOTESS swap on Tuesday, the 29th. This swap will really be different, and I Hope to see lots of our members participating!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Well, I lost 5 of the cuttings, but the ones I really wanted: lilac, both sedums, fish plant, ajuga, sage, rosemary, flowering quince, spirea, honeysuckle shrub and uva ursi are all rooting! Still waiting on the others.

I will be posting the June FOTESS swap on Tuesday, the 29th. This swap will really be different, and I Hope to see lots of our members participating!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Later!
Shirley!

o

Hey Corrine-
I saw this the other day and your post reminded me...

A Wet May means Barns Full of Hay!

(Of course, I live in the alfalfa capital of the US.)
Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here