Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susandonb

Need Suggestions

susandonb
17 years ago

Hi All,

I know this probably isn't the best place to post this but this is where all the coolest people are with the coolest ideas! :)

I am teaching an after school garden course to elementary kids starting this week for 6 weeks and I wanted to make T-shirts for them with the name of the course, "Great Garden Adventure" on them. I have not made t-shirts in 20 years and need some tips. I dont have access to good clip art on my puter and if I did I wouldn't know how to utilize them to make t-shirts.

I know there is some way to make transfers to iron onto shirts from clip art and such, does anyone know how to do that? Or have any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Susan in NC

Comments (6)

• fgirl21
    17 years ago

You can buy the transfer paper at an office supply store. It goes in your printer like paper (just remember to reverse the image)

• susandonb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

See, I dont understand that part? How do you "reverse" the image? Sorry if I sound like a dope.

Susan

• galium
    17 years ago

Susan,
    I've done the iron on transfer thing. I used my computer and I ruined quite a few tee shirts doing it. The transfers usually didn't stick completely to the tee shirts.

I do have a suggestion though. This is depending on how old the kids are. My suggestion might cause a disaster. You can let the kids design their own Tee shirts using fabric paints. I did this with my two nieces and they loved it. Although I did have a book of iron on transfers that just had the outlines.
    Good luck
    Mariann

• bethanyatg
    17 years ago

You can buy iron on letters at WalMart or JoAnn Fabrics. Usually there are quite a few letters in a packet. If you ironed the shirts before hand you may be able to send the kids home with some of the remaining letter so that their parents can iron on the names of the children. Just a thought????
    I did purchase a trasfere kit like someone else had mentioned and it worked well. There are good directions in the kits but it will use up a lot of ink. It would be easier and much cheaper to buy the individual letters like I mentioned before. Maybe after you do that the kids could decorate the shirts with some sort of fabric paint. Just be worned that the paint needs to dry before it can be handled so if that isn't an option that step would need to be skipped.
    I hope I helped some. How wonderful of you to donate your time to do this with the kids. If I lived near you I would be happy help out. It sounds like a lot of fun.

• fgirl21
    17 years ago

You can "flip" the picture using whatever program you have for the clip part. Even in Microsoft word you can REVERSE the image.

If you want, email me offline and I can walk you through it so we don't take up space on the board.

fgirl21@hotmail.com

• susandonb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I am hoping to try this in the next few weeks.

Susan