Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

NEW: Incredible Heirlooms Double Delights Swap

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Hello all!

This is a swap hosted by the Incredible Heirlooms group, Double Delights! We will be swapping edibles that have more than one use and/or pupose!

Examples of such would be:

A bean that could be eaten with the pod as a string bean, yet can grown as a dry bean also.

Both the root and the leafy tops of beets can be eaten.

Pumpkins that can be used for decoration, yet the flesh can be cooked for soup and pie, and the seeds can be roasted and eaten.

Zuchinnis that can be harvested very young as fingerling fruit, or grown larger for frying and stuffing. Certain varieties produce lots of flowers that are used in omlettes or stuffed with cheese! Yummy!

Edibles gourds can be used for decoration or be grown to eat.

Raddichio/Endive can be grown to pick young for baby leaf salads, or grown out to its head form.

Kale can be grown as a baby salad leaf to add to mixed salads, or the mature plant can also be used as a winter hardly vegetable when fresh produce is short in supply.

Peppers with ornamental values can be grown for their eye catching qualities, and also be eaten.

Some tomatoes are great for slicing fresh, and at the same time, are great for canning/sauce making also. One tomato for 2 jobs!

Ok, that was just all off the top of my head! So imagine what you can come up with if you really thought about it!

Edibles with more than one use are also great for the gardener who does not have much room to plant, yet wants to get the most out of what they do plant.

So, they are lots of veggies/fruits/herbs that can fall into this catagory!

PLEASE send your partner 6-7 seed packets, with each seed packet being a new/full packet of seeds, or seed that is equal to a new pack of seeds. Feel free to send more if you are your partner agree to do so. You can send partial packets as extras too!

You can also feel free to add a little something swap related to their box!

I will be taking sign ups until the 17th, a couple days earlier to make time for people who plan on ordering seeds. I know that some companies have been a little slow on their shipping.

Please have your package mailed out to your partner by May 7th. That should give everyone plenty of time to hook up with their partners, and get seeds together or ordered if need be.

So let the fun begin!!!!

Comments (34)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, Where is everyone???? You know you want to join!!!! Don't be shy!!!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Oh, you know I always WANT to join, but right now I'm waiting on packages from four different swaps, so I'd like to see if what comes in before I commit to another one. Who knows, maybe I won't even HAVE a wishlist anymore, LOL.

I'll check back in next week.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    15 years ago

You mentioned beans, squash, tomatoes AND peppers! How can I refuse! Sign me up please!

Don't forget you edible flowers like nasturtiums and herbs that also repel bugs while growing in the garden, like oregano and basil.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Sign me up also. :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes true! Don't want to forget the edible flowers!

OK,
    bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy

and a maybe Bonnie

I already got a good bunch of seeds for this swap already. I am glad we got a good start! I am having fun coming up with seed ideas for this one! Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Come on everyone! There are soooo many things out there that would fit this swap. :D Do I need to get the pocket watch out and start mesmerizing you lurkers?!?! Hmmmm... :D hehe

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Christy, I hope you don't mind. I did a little "advertising" for the swap on a few other forums (heirlooms, veggies, legumes, tomatoes, hot peppers and squashes).

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Since I came up with the idea and Becky came up with the name. I MUST join this SWAP. Sign me UP Christy! Please!

Nancy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help Becky! This is one of my favorite swap themes out of the year's line up. Doesn't anyone else find this one to be a really fun one? Where are all the sign ups?????

Well, we got Nancy on board! That's great!

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy

and a maybe Bonnie

• stardust
    15 years ago

Hi ~
    This is a new seed swapping concept for me. As I am an avid veggie gardener (not expert, just avid) I am very interested, despite the challenge this poses. Please add me to the list of participants.

~D~

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Stardust! I hope you will enjoy it! I hope you dont find it too challenging! We all have fun here! If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to ask!!!!

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    stardust~D
    and a maybe Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Oh Stardust, it only looks intimidating at first. :) You'll feel at home here before you know it. lol These ladies are all so helpful, so like Christy said if you have any questions at all please feel free to ask. :) Hope you enjoy this swap too.

Kathy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Okay, I've been lured in again ;)

I love the sound of this one! Have a bunch of doubles...so this will be fun!

Please sign me up Christy!

Toni

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, here's the deal for me this month. Between our Spring Break trip and Easter, the checking account has been drained pretty low, soooooo I'm going to mosey on over the Seed Stimulus Swap this month. I may drop by to see what kind of Double Delights you guys come up with though.

Y'all have fun!
    Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Toni!!!!
    Anybody else out there lurking???? You know you want to join!!!!

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    stardust~D
    dirtdiggin~Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A "Happy Easter!" bump :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Come on all! Sign ups are only for the next 4-5 days! I would love to get a few more people here!
    Get more out of your garden space by planting mutli purpose edible veggies/herbs/fruits! (oh, and Edible flowers too!)

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

howdee

Im totally lurking

Acres

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Don't just lurk, Tracy!
    ;)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

COme Tracy! You know you want in! LOL! This is one of my favorite themes out of the whole year!
    Christy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I haven't participated with Incredible Edibles for awhile and this one sounds like fun. Count me in!
    Jeanne

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So glad you could join us Jeanne! Ah, it is good to be back, isnt it? This is such a fun theme!

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    stardust~D
    dirtdiggin~Toni
    sandlapperrose~ Jeanne

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Yay! Welcome back Jeanne! :) So glad to have you join us again.

Come on lurkers, you know you wanna join! lol Tracy, hint hint.. :D

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We only have one more day for sign ups !

WOuld really be great to have one more person to sign up to make it even! ( HINT HINT TRACY!)

This is such a fun one that you will miss out on if your dont join now !!!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Oooohhhh Tracy/Acres where are you hiding!?!?! LOL

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I just went through your swap list cause I really don't think I have ever done so. Wow! I wanted to pull up a chair and a hot cup of tea and just relax and read! The way you write is so comforting like you are telling a story. I love it!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Glad you came by to visit my exchange page, Kathy. You can come by any time and we will have a virtual cup of tea! LOL

Can you believe I have all those seeds? It's one of those "What was I thinking" things. Actually, most of them come from GardenWeb swaps. Also, I keep my seeds for about 4-5 years minimum so some are ones that no one else will want.

I planted about 75 winter sowing containers this year (my 3rd year of winter sowing and I love it) and I think all but 6 sprouted so I am busy trying to get plants into the ground or containers or somewhere. Most are flowers, but I do have a few squash plants and some tomoto plants that are growing and some herbs. All but the herbs are tiny right now. I need to start some pepper seeds next week.

Jeanne

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

howdee

Im in !!! but just sp ya know my trade list is no where near updated. Been too busy planting seeds and dealing with my sick 4 legged child (dog) I will try to work on at least my wish list as soon as posible.

Acres/ Tracy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I sure will. It was really a delight to read. :) I'll be back to visit it soon. I know what you mean about too many seeds, somehow I wound up with so many I'm never gonna plant too. Mostly the flowers and such. Well, I really shouldn't sound all innocent -Like I don't know how I got them-! HAHA!

YAY! So glad to have you join us Tracy. :) What's wrong with your pooch? Hope it's nothing bad.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SO glad to have you join us Tracy! I hope doggie feels better!
    bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry~Becky
    sountherncharm~Kathy
    luvgardening2~Nancy
    stardust~D
    dirtdiggin~Toni
    sandlapperrose~ Jeanne
    Purpelacres~Tracy

And today is the deadline! With that, I would say the swap is closed?
    If so, I can post partners by tonight. Does that sound good?
    Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me too. :D

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me. I will try to update my exchange page herbs and veggies this evening or tomorrow. I think I can manage that much of an update. LOL
    Jeanne