Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UPDATE: April-F0TESS Activity continued

Posted by ilovefarac z6 AR (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 19:47

Next, Farmer McGregor decided to check out the woodland phlox in one of my shade gardens. He was getting hot sitting in sun with the other phlox!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: April-F0TESS Activity continued

And lastly, he decided to sit in the Quince shrub and watch me finish some yard work! What a lazy farmer, he wouldn't even help me! But now, we are done and he is ready to go on to his next destination in the morning! Was fun having him here!

o

Thanks for starting the new thread.

I love seeing the sights at each home Flat visits. Wow, Shirley... are you sure it's Springtime there? Quite a contrast.

Yes, I do quilt, but I am much better at starting quilts than finishing them. I really enjoy the quilt groups but leaned not to keep signing up for new classes - I have too many UFOs.(That's quilter talk for unfinished projects.)

Margo, likely your prize will get mailed out on Monday. This week slipped away from me.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

Jeanne

o

I love spring! We are finally getting some blossoms on trees Hoorah!!!

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 13:43

Great Pictures, Melinda! Flat # 2 definitely looked like he had a better time than Flat # 1!

Jeanne, Flat # 1 should have hung around for a day longer; it's a beautiful day here today. Lots of sunshine, still a bit cold, but a big improvement over yesterday. Flat # 1 is on his way elsewhere. I know he badly wanted out of Michigan, but who knows where he will end up!

Well, off to see what else is emerging in the gardens!
Have a great weekend, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

photo Aprilmap6sjc_zps44ec7ca9.jpg

photo McGregMap4ilovefarac_zpsb8cb4ed7.jpg

Happy maps!

o

Really enjoying watching the progress of Flat's travels. Nice to be an armchair traveler and see the contrast between the Northern route and the more southerly path. How lucky Flat is to get to visit with so many dedicated gardeners.
Great idea for a Spring Vacation.

o

Shirley, had to laugh at your pics of FLAT. He did look a little disgruntled.... at the cold rainy day. LOL But he looked comfy on your quilts.

Flat sure looks happy visiting the flowers in the southern states. He needs to chill out some and give us a break here in the North. Temp right now is 45 ... feels like 39 and going up to a whopping 53. sigh
I'll be keeping my eyes open for him ... don't want to keep him waiting.

I'll be taking the cat and dog to the Vets today for their spring check-ups. Never have taken them at the same time. Should be interesting. LOL
sharon

o

Flat and his twin....fun with Melinda and Shirley!!!!

So Shirley and Jeanne are the only FOTESS quilters?

It is supposed to hit the high 90's for the next few days. I put lots of wintersown tomatoes in the ground yesterday. I usually wait until mid May but said what the heck. These things are massive and were happy to get out of their containers.

Happy Monday....where will Flay and his bro end up next?

Annie

o

I'm jealous of all of you. I put my inside plant starts outside to harden them off and today we got SNOW. Mostly rain..so slushy stuff. But PLEASE! Snow?! I even put 5 in the ground.
Wherever I go I arrive with rain-spotted glasses, wind/rain-whipped hair and I'm smiling from ear to ear. We haven't had a rain like this in 3 years. Nebraska has been in a drought. Even the underground aquifers are low. I'm so so so so happy to be getting rain. It's a nice gentle rain, it's been going for about 14 hours and soaking in. Wonderful rain!
I'll sacrifice a tomato for this kind of rain.
Heidi

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 16:20

Annie, I'll bet we aren't the only quilters, and thanks by the way, for putting me on the same level as Jeanne!

I think it's going to be a while before Flat#1 gets out of Michigan!

Heidi, I felt the same way about our last snow fall. And I still expect to get more!

I hope everyone down South is all right, they've had some terrible storms/tornados in North and South Carolina, yesterday and today. Jeanne, Shirley and everyone else, sure hope you are all safe.

Off to eat, skipped lunch, not a good idea!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:13

Old man Flat came cruising into Texas today.
I was pretty busy trying to get caught up with 2 weeks of laundry, but I stopped what I was doing to show him around.
First he checked out the Belinda’s Dream roses and was really loving the fragrance.

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:14

Then he sat in the shade under the oak tree enjoying the 82 degree sunny day and the sunny yellow columbines.

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:19

He noticed all the roses and mock orange and had to sit there for a while also since the fragrance was so intoxicating.

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:24

We finished with a glass of tea out by the fava beans. I told him the story of

THE STRAW, THE COAL, AND THE BEAN
Fairy Tale by the Grimm Brothers
An old woman lived in a village. She had gathered a serving of beans and wanted to cook them, so she prepared a fire in her fireplace. To make it burn faster she lit it with a handful of straw. While she was pouring the beans into the pot, one of them fell unnoticed to the floor, coming to rest next to a piece of straw. Soon afterward a glowing coal jumped out of the fireplace and landed next to them.
The straw said, "Dear friends, where do you come from?"
The coal answered, "I jumped from the fireplace, to my good fortune. If I had not forced my way out, I surely would have died. I would have burned to ash."
The bean said, "I too saved my skin. If the old woman had gotten me into the pot I would have been cooked to mush without mercy, just like my comrades."
"Would my fate have been any better?" said the straw. "The old woman sent all my brothers up in fire and smoke. She grabbed sixty at once and killed them. Fortunately I slipped through her fingers."
"What should we do now?" asked the coal.
"Because we have so fortunately escaped death," answered the bean, "I think that we should join together as comrades. To prevent some new misfortune from befalling us here, let us together make our way to another land."
This proposal pleased the other two, and they set forth all together.
They soon came to a small brook, and because there was neither a bridge nor a walkway there, they did not know how they would get across it.
Then the straw had a good idea, and said, "I will lay myself across it, and you can walk across me like on a bridge."
So the straw stretched himself from one bank to the other. The coal, who was a hot-headed fellow, stepped brashly onto the newly constructed bridge, but when he got to the middle and heard the water rushing beneath him, he took fright, stopped, and did not dare to go any further. Then the straw caught fire, broke into two pieces, and fell into the brook. The coal slid after him, hissed as he fell into the water, and gave up the ghost.

The bean who had cautiously stayed behind on the bank had to laugh at the event. He could not stop, and he laughed so fiercely that he burst. Now he too would have died, but fortunately a wandering tailor was there, resting near the brook. Having a compassionate heart, he got out a needle and thread and sewed the bean back together.
The bean thanked him most kindly. However, because he had used black thread, since that time all beans have had a black seam.

With that he headed to bed early so he can hit the road again tomorrow.

o

Ruth-Those roses and columbines are beautiful..I really like columbines and love the way they re-seed. Never heard the story of the straw, coal and bean before...loved it.

Heidi-Glad you are getting all that much needed rain. It rains quite a bit here but then the wind blows terrible and dries out the ground. I have already started using the sprinkler system.

Shirley-Yes bad storms all around us in the South, what I hate is those tornadoes. They are so destructive.

Sharon - hope the vet visit with the cat and dog went well.

Shirley

o

Ruth, your first picture with the pink roses has me drooling. Beautiful! Everything else looks lovely, too. Thanks for including the story.

Heidi, thanks for continuing to update the maps. It makes this even more fun. I hope everyone else is enjoying seeing the flowers and contrast between northern path and southern path as well.
Heidi, how terrible that you had snow. It seems that shouldn't happen this late in April.

Sharon, how did things go with taking the dog and the cat at the same time? I have one of each and take them separately - with my two I can't imagine handling both of them at the same time. The vet's office is far from their favorite place.

I hope everyone is okay after the storms. That really big one is supposed to bring rain and strong winds here towards evening tomorrow. So far, no problem at all. Shirley in NC, we didn't get the bad weather that you did recently. I have actually had to water the garden for the past few days.

Thanks to everyone for posting when Flat arrives, taking fun pictures, etc. I am really enjoying this month and I hope everyone else is as well.

Jeanne

o

Ruth, beautiful pictures and I enjoyed the story too. Never heard that one brfore

o

Margo, your prize is finally getting mailed out today. I'm sorry to be so slow It seems April has been a very busy month.
Have a great day!
Jeanne

o

photo McGregMap5ruthz_zps98f21426.jpg

Wow! Roses and columbines! I have columbine. It's 4" high--but it broke dormancy! MacG looks like he had a wonderful time. Must be that Texas hospitality we hear about all the time. Did MacG join you in sweet tea also? lol I have a dear sweet older Texas lady in my church and every so often she has to travel south and renew her accent!
Oh, and the maps help me so much. I started with the GW names and each time I see the GW name and the location I think things like, "Oh yeah...I remember when they posted about _______. That's because they live in _____."
Heidi

o

Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 16:34

Ruth, love the purple nail polish! Great pics too!
Beautiful day here today, really warm!
Have a great nite, All,
Shirley!

o

Ruth, Belinda's Dream is a beautiful rose! I think I'm going to need one of those, lol.

o

Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 18:06

Heidi, I know sweet tea is big in the South, but I actually drink Yerba Mate plain, so that's what we had.
I bet old Flat would have preferred sweet tea thou. That's what I used to drink when I lived on a farm in North Georgia.

Shirley, It's OPI Purple with a Purpose and another OPI sparkly color over it.

Alana, If you don't get a Belinda's Dream before late fall, I'll be happy to share cuttings.

o

Loved the pics , Ruth! The roses and things are gorgeous!
I don't have many roses, several but only have name of one which is Joseph's Coat and I love that one.
I also quilt. I just made one in the winter for my bed and have the pic on Facebook. Made tons but first one made for myself. I have a trip around the world started, but haven't finished as always oustside now when able.
I have really enjoyed watch McGregor's travels! Been a lot of fun as I had never heard his story or the story you told Ruth! Lots of fun!
Have a great night ladies!

o

H'mm I've been thinking it's finally getting warmer it was 73 on Saturday as I look outside at a snowstorm... Hopefully McGregor isn't cold sensitive. :^)

I'm so jealous seeing those beautiful blooms... not to mention those toes peeking out from flip flops. lol

Christine

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 8:58

Ruth, I had never heard that story either, thanks for sharing!

Christine, a snow storm!? AGGGHH!

Melinda, I knew there had to be more quilters in the group! Do you do hand piecing? Could you post a pic?

A heads up here: I'll be posting the May Fotess swap on Sunday, we'll be celebrating Salad month, I think!

Another beautiful day here, hope you all have a great one!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:57

We were in the 90's Sunday, today's expected high is 70 and back to 90 on Saturday.

Christine, we would normally have more blooming this time a year except for our colder than normal winter.
My Iris hasn't bloomed yet and we just saw the first daylily scrap this week. The new rose foliage and some of the rosebuds got some damage from the last freeze we had.

Melinda, Joseph's Coat is a pretty rose. I have about 20 different named roses and one noid. I rooted cutting of a noid OGR that a friend has that seems to bloom well even in our hot dry summers.
I don't have room or full sun for all the roses I'd like to have so I have to be very selective. I'm thinking I may start replacing some that I'm less fond of.

I was curious also if you quilters hand quilt or machine.

o

Ruth, I loved your rose. Is fall the best time to start cuttings? Never tried that as I don't do well even with commercial roses. Love them but they don't seem to love me.
A few years ago we had a group here called Seeds and Stitches. I know I have some beautiful blocks from that. I have them assembled into a top but have never had it quilted. I enjoy making the blocks, choosing patterns and colors but the few that ever got made into full size quilts I paid to have quilted by pros.
This is one I did for Quilts of Valor one of my favorite projects. They have volunteers that will do the actual quilting then I just finish by doing the binding before donating . Avery satisfying project for all involved

o

Hi all, Farmer Flat #1 arrived at my house on Tuesday, April 28, What a surprise! He is now on his way to Paw Paw, Michigan. As I didn't have time to take a picture, I will let you know that Farmer Flat helped shovel some snow. That is not what you want to hear at this time of year. He also helped decide garden planning.
I also am a quilter and have done so many this year already. My New Years resolution is get this material used up and out of here. Declutter. I want to move where it is W-A-R-M.
This package is a cute thing and I loved it.
Welcome to the newbies.
Have a great day everyone
Sharon
gmom

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 18:44

I KNEW Flat #1 wasn't going to get out of Michigan anytime soon!

o

photo Aprilmap7gmom2-6boys_zps81a48bec.jpg
What a beautiful quilt! I enjoyed seeing your work. I don't think I have patience for that and I don't know how you keep your seams that straight. I liked sewing in 4-H. Thanks for sharing that. It's hard to get a photo of Flat Mac curled up in your blankie! Glad you waited until he was on his way.
Part of me is a visual learner. I decided to put our Fotess names on the map because it helped me connect where you all lived. It's also helping me to remember because I keep looking at them. Some of you are great at remembering real name, Fotess name, state, zone, favorite flower and Disney movie. (Smile--I exaggerate a little.)
G-mom I think it's funny that as I type this there is an ad on Fotess for finishing quilts on your home machine with online classes.
Heidi

o

Thanks for adding the names Heidi! That helps me visualize the trek much better.
Ruth, I found the rose! They have it at Antique Rose Emporium. I'm going to order one this weekend. It's a little late for planting here, but given the late spring I think it will be okay.
This has been an interesting activity, Jeanne. Thanks for coming up with it.

o

Jeanne, certainly there was no rush on the prize and much thanks.

Enjoying the adventures of old McGregor. Ruth, like the purple toes. LOL

I am jealous of the old man. Wouldn't it be neat if we could all take the same garden tour together. What fun that would be.

Our first plant shipment arrived at the store yesterday. Although small, it was like the customers could smell them. They were a day early yet all of a sudden, we were swamped. We didn't get a lot cause even the plants in the greenhouses are running a little late this year. We did get some nice perennials in and I had ordered a blanketflower at cost and that came in. :) Now I am hoping the raspberry truffle echinacea arrives next week. Should have been on the truck yesterday. Temps are are not friendly here so we are having to pull in the less hardy herbs at night. But the aroma in the store is delightful once they are in.

Hope no one here is in the flooding zone. It looks awful.

Margo

o

Thu, May 1, 14 at 8:57

Beth, thanks for sharing the pic of your quilt - it is Beautiful! Don't know if I will ever accomplish anything like that, but I'm going to give it a good try! I remember the Seeds and Stitches group, they did some neat things. Is yours a variation of a log cabin block?

Heidi, I am enjoying the maps, and like you, they help me visualize where we are all at. And also like you, I'm wondering how to keep the seams straight, also going slightly beserk trying to match up points - AGGGHHHH!

Hoping for a warm weekend, so I can get some of my annuals started. All the plants upstairs need to get outside, they are quickly outgrowing their space! Next year, I'll probably start the Begonias in February!

Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Thu, May 1, 14 at 10:36

Heidi, I'm also enjoying the maps.

Alana, you'll enjoy Belinda's Dream.

Beth, beautiful quilt. Fall or late winter is the best time for me to start roses rooting, plus February is when I prune my roses.
I root by putting cuttings in the ground or in a pot outside. If I don't start in fall or around February it gets too hot and dry here and they just die.

o

Here is the pic of the quilt I made for myself! I do all the putting together and designing what I want it to look like and then I sew with sewing maching. Designing them is the fun part for me. After they are all together, I get the backing and then a quilt shop quilts it for me. I also make a lot where I do it all but do the tying like the oldtimers and not have it quilted. Just depends on the quilt!

o

Flat #1 and Flat #2 are really moving along lately. Soon I'll have to watch so they don't both go to someone's house. At some point in time, I'll e-mail someone to send one of them back to S.C. and let the other finish the travels. Will have to refer to my list. Margo, you are right. Wouldn't it be great to see everyone's gardens in person? This is a lot of fun, too, though. (Wow, I missed the purple nail polish. Some of you are so observant!)

Beth and Melinda, such beautiful quilts in your pictures. The longarmers sure do a beautiful job on the quilting. I likely will send some of my tops to be quilted by a longarmer when they are finished. Some I do myself, but it is hard work on a regular machine. I am not very good at free motion quilting so I do a lot of "stitch in the ditch" and that involves rotating the quilt over and over and over and over again. Beth, I recently joined a Quilts of Valor group. What a worthwhile cause after all that our service men and women do for us.

Other than some cloudy days, the storms have not impacted us. In fact, I sent my husband out to water my plants yesterday. There was so little rain that I know it just barely wet the surface.

Tomorrow I am going to a gardening jamboree. First time our Master Gardener group is putting this on. I hope it's really good. I have a simple job of introducing one of the speakers, asking people to turn off their cell phones, thanking them for attending, etc.

I think I am going to check on my winter sowing plants that are still in jugs. I got a good start moving them about a week ago, but got so sore from bending and digging the little bit that I did, that I had to stop for this week. I have 2 rose bushes that have suddenly gone from buds to full bloom. So pretty! (Wonder what they will have for sale at the jamboree tomorrow? That's the hard part - to control my shopping. I don't care a bit about clothes and shoes and that sort of thing, but get me near plants or fabric or quilt books and it's another story!)

Jeanne

o

Received my prize today and I thought it fit right in with the theme of the swap. Jeanne sent me a cute carrot plaque along with carrot seeds and a package of plant food. I have never grown carrots so will take this opportunity to try for the first time. Thanks Jeanne, cute idea.

Margo

o

Mr. McGregor arrived here today in the cold and rain... pictures tomorrow, and he will be on his way to his next destination on Saturday.

Mandy

o

Thu, May 1, 14 at 21:01

Melinda, WOW!! Is that quilt Pretty! Is that an Ohio Star Block I spy in there? Very nice! What are some of the other blocks?

Poor Flat #1 will never come back to Michigan! Sharon, did you say snow? Last week you had snow?

Rainy day here today, and a lot colder. This is getting silly.
Tomorrow is Friday, which is always cause for celebration!
Have a great day, All!
Shirley!

o

I checked off my lists for the visits and each Farmer (#1 and #2) should have 4 more visits to make. I did have an error on my list, but have e-mailed and hope it will be squared away. If not, I will catch the next person down the line.

Sort of busy this evening getting ready for the jamboree tomorrow so I will make sure to look things over again and send an e-mail to the person who will then send Flat back to South Carolina. (The list that arrives with Farmer McGregor shows more visits than what he actually needs to make because we sent the second one out to make visits, too.)

Jeanne

o

Shirley, I don't remember all the names of each star, but each one is a different star. Yes, the Ohio star is in there. It was fun making it for sure! I could look them all up, but would take a while.
I have loved seeing all the pics of everyone's gardens and things. Been a good swap, really enjoyed it!
Melinda

o

Fri, May 2, 14 at 15:45

Melinda, don't worry 'bout it! I know there are tons of star blocks out there. I'm doing three each for the girls quilts, an Ohio star and a Lone Star for both, and I've picked a Braced Star for Myrn and a Star Lane Block for Tabs. I think the Lone Star is going to be the toughest to make-all those little points!!

Hoping for a warm weekend!
Shirley!

o

How long does it take you guys to plan/put your quilts together?

Annie

o

Mr. McGregor visited us here in Paw Paw today. It's chilly, and wet, but at least we don't have any snow! First he inspected the sign leading out to the garden that my husband made.

o

Then he checked out the strawberry planter - things are starting to grow!

o

He wasn't nearly as grumpy once he saw the size of the garlic plants... Although, he was eager to head on his way to the next stop after the cold wet weather today. He will be in the mail on Saturday morning.

Mandy

o

Mandy-Your husband did a good job on the sign. Your strawberries look very content in the planter.

Beautiful weather in the forecast for this week-end. I am going to attend the Master Gardener;s plant sale tomorrow. I checked out the plants today and saw a few that I would like to buy.

Melinda-Love your quilt....what a treasure.

Shirley

o

I love the Welcome to Mandy's Garden Sign! Sorry it's still so chilly up there, but it is starting to look a little like Spring in your pictures.

I had a wonderful time at the gardening jamboree. When a similar one is offered, I know I will sign up again. We got to attend 3 sessions. The first session I took was on vermimulcuture. That means I came home with a bucket of worms. Wish me luck with my new "pets"! I'll have to look to see if GardenWeb has a topic for that. I don't know how this is going to go. I just hope having their home outdoors doesn't attract fireants or "critters" - if so, they may get their freedom and get to burrow directly in the ground.

The other two were about decorative things to make and use in a garden. I'm going to try to add 3 pictures, but will likely have to post them separately. The one posted here was from the session about using vintage items in the garden and very creative ways to make and use them.

The other two pictures that I'll post below are of miniature fairy gardens. Aren't they fascinating? I keep saying I want to make a fancy one like these. The plants you see are live plants! Look at the tiny hosta that is getting ready to bloom! The whole plant is smaller than the length of my thumb.

They had what you might term a "crazy garden hat" contest. I didn't win, but I must admit this is the 3rd occasion I've had to wear my wacky flowered garden hat! I'll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

Off to post the next two pictures. Have a great weekend. I love to watch the Kentucky Derby (on TV, of course) so I'll enjoy that as part of my day tomorrow.

Oh, and I only came home with 3 plants: a bay laurel to replace mine that died last year, lime thyme, and a miniature sedum... maybe a start on my fairy garden?

Jeanne

o

First Fairy Garden
Jeanne

o

Second Fairy Garden
Jeanne

o

Here's a picture of the picture of my garden hat for the contest. Just right for the Kentucky Derby since it has red roses on it! :-)
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, cute pictures of the fairy gardens and the hat. LOL

So I guess the mistake was using the other Sharon in the group instead of me. Boo hoo. I was expecting Flat after Shirley and was surprised when he didn't arrive. But now maybe it will be warmer and a few things blooming when he does arrive here. :o)

Taking the dog and cat at the same time to the vets turned out to be easier than taking 2 cats to the vet at the same time. LOL They are both fine.

sharon

o

Jeanne-Those fairy gardens are gorgeous....I want to make one so bad, maybe this will inspire me to do so. You look so cute in your hat. I have bought two purses to plant flowers in and I'm going to enter them in the local fair this Sept.

Sharon-Good to hear the dog and cat survived the vet visit.

Shirley

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 23:42

Jeanne, I like the Fairy Gardens.
I especially love the Fairy in Garden # 1.

Cute hat too.
I had a Derby hat ready to wear today to our Auxiliary Derby party, but checked out garage sales then napped instead.
Beautiful quilt Melinda.

This post was edited by ruthz on Sun, May 4, 14 at 0:20

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 23:47

Thanks for sharing the pics, Jeanne, looks like you had a great time! Love the hat! Can't believe that little Hosta !

Sharon, hopefully it will be nice when Flat gets to you, don't expect much in the way of enthusiasm from him tho; his visit to Michigan has been a bummer so far. Altho Mandy did have a Welcome sign out for him, kind of!

Annie, to answer your question: I did a basic, generic type plan, ie, twenty blocks in a 4x5 pattern, 4 border colors for each girl. I'll arrange the colors as I go, hopefully it will work out all right. Don't know if I'll do sashing or not. Its going to be a sampler, which means all types of blocks. That's the fun part! I finished their Birds in the Air and the Ohio Star blocks today. I'm hoping to finish by Christmas. Sure hope my enthusiasm for this project lasts!

Have a nice Sunday, All!
Shirley!

o

Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:36

Okay, Annie, having said all that, I need to tell you that I sat here this morning and "reconfigured" the whole thing!

Twenty blocks for 2 quilts, hand pieced, hand quilted is not a game plan that ensures anything being done by Christmas! Lots of pressure and stress there!

12 hand pieced blocks for each quilt with 3" sashing and a 3" border is infinitely more do-able, plus the 3" sashing allows for the hand quilting. AND!! I've got 4 blocks done for each which means I'm a quarter of the way done!! AND!! with great joy and much relief, the Lone Star block has fallen by the wayside!

Sorry for taking over the thread, but you can't imagine the relief I feel at resolving this!

I'll be posting the May FOTESS Swap tonight or tomorrow morning!

Off to finish cleaning the house and check out the gardens!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, amazing, the time involved!!!! Quilting, a true labor of LOVE!!! Looking forward to MAY FOTESS!!

A Fairy Garden, I might just have to work on making one or two of them, CHARMING!! What are the fairy gardens planted in?

Happy Sunday! Enjoy!

Annie

o

photo Aprilmap91loness_zpsba67cabc.jpg
My father rented a tiller for his garden and stopped by to do my 15x15 ft. plot. Yeah! I got things in the ground. It may be too soon, but it was one of those 'do it or forget it' moments. I'm not a master planner in my veggie garden. I plant and whatever happens happens. I have a little spending money this year so I got good fertilizer.
Sorry this map is a little late. Went to an out of town meeting to educate the parents about their kids going to Basic Training this summer (my daughter). She's 17. She'll do Basic and then do her senior year of high school. Information overload!
I am a chaplain at a meat-packing plant. I ordered hamburger at a great price. It came--80 lbs. Luckily another coworker said he'd like some. He took half. So I divided up the 40 lbs into 1 lb. portions to put in the freezer. Busy busy!
Love all the cool things on this thread. Love the fairy gardens, quilts, hats! What fun!
Heidi

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:54

Hi ladies! I just got caught up on this thread. Lots to catch up on!

All the quilt pics are fantastic! I just love them. Southern Shirley & Jeanne, hope you both enjoyed the plant & garden shows.

Sharon, I once took the dog & both cats to the vet all together. Call me crazy, but it went just fine. I think they kept each other distracted.

Heidi, great maps! If you end up having a late frost, you can flip buckets or pots over your veggie plants and they will probably make it. I had to do that trick this spring.

Michigan Shirley, stay strong on the quilts! You're a very crafty lady. You can do it! BTW, the white penstemon plants I got from you a few years back are about to bust out in bloom. Can't wait!

o

Tue, May 6, 14 at 9:33

I'm thinking Flat McGregor might be making some unscheduled stops and not posting pictures for us.

He left Texas last Tuesday with good intentions of sticking to his itinerary, but who knows.

o

Farmer Flat McGregor came visiting yesterday afternoon to Woodhaven, MIchigan. I knew exactly when he arrived because Cash(the dog) barked and barked at the door to let me know since Flat could not reach the doorbell.

Sadly Flat arrived on a day I was not feeling well, I was home sick from work. So he decided to help take care of me.
 photo IMG_2712_zpse15525f6.jpg

This morning I was feeling just a little better and to be a good hostess I gave Flat a quick tour of the gardens and then sent him on his way. Even though it was still in the high 40's this morning, he thought it was a little warmer than the other gardens he had visited in Michigan.

Here he is with the Pulmonaria Mrs. Moon, he liked the polka dotted leaved.
 photo IMG_2710_zps0effd7d1.jpg

He liked my blooming white trillium and the hosta and Jack in the Pulpit just emerging.
 photo IMG_2709_zpsb7bdeef2.jpg

Here he is discussing my shade garden with Cash. They were looking at a very small hellebore plant that sadly is in Cash's shadow.
 photo IMG_2708_zps4a4f2454.jpg

His last stop was the Pink Charm Daffodils and the Fritillaria meleagris (checkered lily). The picture is a little out of focus, but hey, I'm a sick woman. LOL
 photo IMG_2707_zps9c51b14a.jpg

After our morning garden stroll, we decided he should be off since I still am not a 100% and needed to take a nap.
Sharon

o

Sharon, I know you don't feel well...but....the above is to darn funny!!!

Take care!!

Annie

o

photo 20140506MacGphlox_zpsd5d1e2ed.jpg

photo 20140506MacGtulips_zpsc888d344.jpg

photo 20140506pinktulipclusterfromabove_zps6113b61f.jpg

photo 201405062claudiatulips_zps2b84c831.jpg
Flat McGregor made it! Whew! He can't quite remember where he was. He mumbled something about sleeping on the floor of a USPS truck, but he was guarding his gun while he slept in a mailbag. He winked at me and said Peter Rabbit hornswaggled him.
Heidi

o

photo Aprilmap10toomanyanimals_zps9117cb91.jpg

photo McGregMap6xiangirl_zps9dc110bb.jpg

o

Heidi, beautiful tulips and phlox! Glad Flat made it out your way!

Anne, glad you enjoyed it. LOL

o

Nice to see that Flat made it to some more homes. The maps are getting interesting!

Heidi, your flowering bulbs are simply gorgeous!

Sharon, sorry you were sick. It definitely looks like Spring has arrived in your garden. Cash is a beautiful dog. What kind is he? I'm guessing maybe a Sheltie?

Annie, I know the base for one of the fairy gardens is hypertufa (hope I spelled it right) formed by shaping it in a basket. I didn't pay enough attention to tell you what the other is. She also had something in a cork container - said you can find those at the pet store for "critters" to crawl in or on. I'll have to look into that. It looked like it was planted in a log - a really a fun look!

We haven't gotten rain for quite awhile and now it's going up into the 90's and very sunny. The plants here won't stay happy for long. We are trying to water a good bit, but standing there with the hose for long periods of time gets pretty boring, especially when you are hot, too!

I don't think I am being very successful with my worms. I check today and only saw 2 and they seemed pretty lethargic. Hopefully just the hot weather. I keep them in the garage right now so they don't get any direct sun on the container. Sure need to read more on how to care for them. All I remember the instructors saying is how easy this is! :-)

Jeanne

o

Tue, May 6, 14 at 21:17

Heidi, is that your retaining wall garden? The pic with the street in the background? It is beautiful, whatever the garden is!

Sharon, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, glad Flat #1 could help out! Cash looks like a great dog, able to get along with Flat, which I couldn't manage to do! I don't think my pulmonaria is ever going to be that big.

Jeanne, good luck with the worms, what kind did you get?
I've heard that red worms are good for composting, don't know if that's a fact or not.

Hey, off to check in on the other swap, and then bedtime!
Shirley!

o

Yes, that is my retaining wall (from the back side). Those are my tulips I found on clearance in March. My husband took pity on me and it was warm enough to dig in the dirt and we quick planted them. About 1/3 of them were already there.
It's so good Flat has some healthcare experience. The picture of Pepto was priceless.
Is that a Sheltie? Parts of my family had Shelties for years. Lovely dogs.
Heidi

o

Heidi and Jeanne, Cash is a Border Collie. Seems like a lot of people are unaware that Borders can be tri-colored. But he is a rescue dog, so we are not sure he is 100% Border Collie. But he sure looks and acts like one. LOL
I'm sure he is not the highest energy dog, but he is up there. We sure do love him though.

Heidi, you got those tulips in March of this year? Wow, they are beautiful! Instant gratification!

Jeanne, I've never done the worm thing. I hope you have good luck.
I know my Dad had a 'boat' (easiest way to describe it) of night crawlers. He used them when he fished and supplied some of his friends with their worms. We used to put our scraps out in the 'boat'. LOL especially the coffee grounds.
sharon

o

I have not stopped by in a while and had fun catching up on the antics of the old McGregors. They sure has been having fun. I love seeing the pictures of everyone's gardens. You have all done a fantastic job.

Weather has been really nice here lately. Just enough rain. Thursday was a little too hot but I can't complain.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's day tomorrow.

Margo

o

I had a visitor arrive from Michigan!! FF McGregor got here just in time to help us clean up Rockin L Acres and take a load of trash to the dump. He seemed happy to be able to be outdoors again. Today we are heading for the mountains where we will be teaching him how to tell the difference between a true morel and a false morel. I'll post pictures later. He wanted me to let you know that he was thinking about his Mother today along with everyone else.

o

Peggy, glad to hear that Flat Farmer McGregor made it to Washington. He certainly has some traveling miles under his belt!

I hope everyone has a Happy Mother's Day. My husband is busy cooking. He does a great job on his "specialties" so it will all be yummy! I had hoped for some rain this weekend and it has been a bit cloudier than usual, but no luck yet. I'm already tired of dragging around the hoses. When it's in the 90s, we have to water at least once a day.

Oh, I was not very good at vermicomposting.. all of my worms died. I think it might have been the hot weather showing up all at once. Maybe I'ill try again towards fall.

Jeanne

o

photo Aprilmap11canfan_zps2d42f633.jpg

o

I really did mail Flat MacG #2 a week ago, May 7. I can't imagine where he is. I'm getting very stressed out. I lost the receipt with the tracking number. I'm so sorry. I joke about the USPS and I get upset with them a lot. Holy potatoes! I hope they haven't lost him.
Heidi

o

Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:31

Heidi, not sure where you mailed to, but I was beginning to think the same thing when I mailed to you. I mailed on Tuesday and I believe you received the next Tuesday.
The rates go up and the delivery time gets slower.

o

Peggy, I keep coming back to these posts, hoping for a tutorial in "how to tell the difference between a true morel and a false morel" I know I could look it up on line, but hay, it means so much more when Flat is in the pictures! LOL

I'm glad to hear that Flat has a mother and he appreciates her. :o)

Heidi, we believe you .... Darn Post Office!

Jeanne, sorry to hear about the worms. Better luck next time.

sharon

o

Good morning, everyone! It's supposed to be in the 70s with fairly low humidity today so it really will be a "good" morning. I do not like the 90s! (Plus, I can watch the Preakness on TV later. Great day!)

Here is a picture from our recent trip to see granddaughter, Miranda. She is now 2 1/2 months old and this is a three generation picture: Miranda, her mother, and me. My goodness they grow fast!

Don't worry about the post office being so slow on moving Flat McGregor from place to place. I know everyone is sending and we can't control the post office. The last person to receive Flat #1 and Flat #2 will be checking with me before sending them back to SC so if Flat #1 or Flat #2 needs to travel to one or two more homes, it's okay.

Yes, we are all in suspense about ture moral and false morel. Love everyone's posts!

Jeanne

o

Sat, May 17, 14 at 10:18

Jeanne, she is beautiful! What a darling baby! Your daughter and you don't look too bad either! Thanks for sharing!
Shirley!

o

This hot looking guy named Flat Farmer McGregor was on my doorstep this morning. Poor thing, he slept out their all night. He said he banged on the door...and banged on the door...no answer! He is getting some quality "SHUTEYE" right now..............

I must run....will post some pics later!

Annie

o

Here is Flat Farmer McGregor upon arrival. He was a bit "washed out" from his long journey to Washington State. We had a lot for him to do but for some reason I am only able to upload one picture at a time so I will be back soon to share additional information about his time with us.

o

After a trip to the Farm and Garden Store, Flat Farmer McGregor got busy and helped us plant the cabbages. It was still too cold to plant the peppers and tomatoes, though.

o

We had some time to show Flat Farmer McGregor around the Wenas Valley, too. Here is a how he looked after we got a load together to take to the dump. He said that our facilities are a lot bigger than what he has back home and the view of the valley is very pretty this time of year.

o

On Mothers Day we took a ride to the hills. Flat Farmer McGregor was impressed with the National Forest, Meadow flowers and hikes in the woods looking for morel mushrooms. Sorry to say but we didn't find any. It may be a bit early yet. Flat Farmer McGregor was able to watch my Daughter train her Search and Rescue Pup (In Training). It was interesting to see how they have two people in different locations call Eli to each of them....back and forth. He isn't able to see the second caller because they are hiding from him so he has to "seek" them out by voice location. This picture shows the area below where the pup was being trained. Flat Farmer rested the following day and was ready to be on the road again. He was looking forward to his future adventures.

o

photo Aprilmap12canyonwind_zpscea086e4.jpg
I have a new appreciation for your name Canyonwind!

o

Hey Sharon and the rest of the FOTESS folks who are interested in a bit of botany..... In our forested area we are able to head up to the mountains and forage for Morel Mushrooms. Before we go we like to review the differences between True and False Morels. True morels have its skirt or cap attached to the stem as one continuous structure. In false morels the cap is attached at the top of the mushroom stem. We have had many years of experience in searching for morels. We always cut through each mushroom to make sure we are only going to eat true morels. Here is a link to an article that has pictures and further explains the differences between true and false morels. http://northcascadesbasecamp.blogspot.com/2011/05/morels-are-up-in-methow-valley.html

o

Peggy, Flat told me of his wonderful visit with you in WA. We are still chuckling about your planting cabbage last week and we pulled ours out a month ago.

Well, as I mentioned earlier today, I found Flat Farmer McGregor on my front porch this morning. He claims he banged...banged...banged on the door on Saturday and no one answered. He was not a happy camper when I found him. In fact, I would say he was a bit "COOL " to me. Men can be pouters!

This post was edited by canyonwind on Mon, May 19, 14 at 0:40

o
RE: UPDATE: April F0TESS Activity continued

I then showed him inside the house. Still cool to me, he hit the recliner for some quality shuteye. I even gave him a pillow to lay his tired head. I do have a pic but I will move on.........

He woke up. I offered him a drink.....wine, beer, soda, a martini, scotch, bourban, water...He saw I had some Blackberry Brandy. That is what the man wanted and that is what the man got. I told him it was home made from our very own Blackberries. He took his glass and ventured out to one of the birhouses. Flat likes birds!

o

Flat said he would like to "refresh". He asked if he could take a dip in the pool. Sure Flat, my pool is your pool, I said! He actually did a flip on his way in to the water.

o

Flat removed his bod from the pool, picked up his glass of Blackberry Brandy and said, "I feel like a NEW MAN". He heard some bees buzzing around and away he went. He was amazed at how the bees loved Thai Basil. He was sniffing the basil and I told him he better be careful...bees have a sting!!!!

o

Flat removed his bod from the pool, picked up his glass of Blackberry Brandy and said, "I feel like a NEW MAN". He heard some bees buzzing around and away he went. He was amazed at how the bees loved Thai Basil. He was sniffing the basil and I told him he better be careful...bees have a sting!!!!

o

Whoops....sorry two posts with Flat checking out the bees.

Moving on, he wanted to check out some Citrus. Flat says he loves lemonaide!

o

And Flat loves Hollyhocks and Brugmansias. I told him I was having trouble with my Brugs. My buddy gave me some pointers!! Thanks Flat!

o

By now Flat is feeling no pain. He is on his third glass of Brandy.

o

And of course, Flat enjoying a homebrew with the canines. Yes, Flat gave them a few sips!!

o

The Flats are sure going through some adventures of great fun. I am jealous.
Annie, lovely dogs and gardens. I would love a pool like that to take a daily dip in. We have our pond but just not the same. It is so weird to see your gardens in full bloom and ours just beginning to really get foliage. With the daffs and tulips done, the gardens are mostly green right now.
Margo

o

Wonderful photos Peggy and Annie!
Peggy, of all places to take Flat, I think the dump was the most imaginative!!! Being a man, I'm sure he loved it!

My sister and her husband go morel hunting with a friend of theirs each year. The friend is the one who really knows what he is looking for. My sister says she just likes the walk in the woods. LOL

Annie, I'm so glad you gave Flat a drink. LOL I'm sure he needed one by then.
I had been thinking of giving him one
when he came to visit, but well, drinks are on the back burner when your not well.
Loved the pics of your yard and pool!
Sharon

o

Oh, and I love the picture of Flat with your 2 gorgeous birthday bingo word fetching dogs. LOL
sharon

o

So sorry not to have posted sooner. I had an outpatient procedure on Monday and got a pain shot in my back. I am not too pleased with the results yet. They say if it's going to help it will work within a few days so I don't know if this is going to help at all. I guess I shouldn't give up hope yet... For some reason it made me very tired. I almost never take a nap and took naps for several afternoons after the shot.

Love the new pictures of Flat! Such creative poses. He certainly has had the trip of a lifetime. I promise to look over the names carefully this weekend and try to make sure everyone has been visited.

Have a safe weekend! We are not up to much. It's my wedding anniversary on Mon. (41 years) so I suspect we will go out to eat that day. The middle of the day is already quite hot, so cooking on the grill is not sounding like a good idea. It's going to be a long summer of watering plants.

Oh, I planted spaghetti squash this year - never had before - and those vines are really traveling! They might be in a neighboring state soon! I wonder if they will produce anything for me. All I've been able to pick so far are some peas - and the pea vines are about done in. They don't like this heat.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, you will love having the spaghetti squash on hand. I planted it last year and after the vines died down and I brought the remaining squash in, they lasted a long time. Loved it in place of the noodles in my spaghetti. Unfortunately, I have one of the hubbies who won't even try it. I know he would like it if he did. He drives me crazy but of course, it leaves more for me.

Are both flats still traveling? I wonder what each of them are up to this Memorial day weekend. If they are in this part of the country, they will love the weather.

Have a great weekend everyone. Margo

o

Sat, May 24, 14 at 9:45

Annie, love all the pictures. Beautiful yard/gardens.

o

I may have missed it in reading through the lists, but I don't think Christine (vegpatch) has received a visit from Flat Farmer McGregor yet. Has he been mailed to her by anyone? If not, I'll ask one of the ladies who still has him visiting to send him along.

I've been sort of a "dud" on keeping up with this, Funny how back pain can make your brain quit functioning. So sorry to be so slow in trying to keep up with this.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, hope you are feeling a little better with your back ...

o

I mailed Flat McG to vegpatch on May 7. I have since tried to contact her by GW email and regular email with no success. On a Rate & Review GW Forum she said her hard drive crashed in April and she got an intestinal bug. She was catching up on trades. Last posting on this Forum was April 29.

I hope your back is better. I know most people can't understand what living with pain is like. You get a medal just for getting up every day and doing what you do without complaint!

Heidi in Nebraska

o

Heidi,
Thanks so much for letting me know that vegpath has computer issues. I will decide she received a visit from Flat unless I hear otherwise.... and so our swap is done!

Annie, I think you have the other version of Flat. If you want to mail him back to me, that's fine. Otherwise, no problem either. He would likely spend time in my desk drawer if he returns, but don't tell him that. With all the fun he had in CA, he may want to stay there!

We are having a few cooler days and rain and sometimes thunderstorms that drift through. Wonderful as far as I'm concerned. I wish all summer could be like this!

I'm going to try to post the June swap this evening. Watch for it later today or tomorrow.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here