Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

New: Seed & Stitches Swap for May

bev2009
13 years ago

I'm excited to host May's swap! Here's what we are going to do. You can do any 12" block you want. In the middle of the block, write a message to the recipient. You can have the middle block plain or applique, just make sure they can read the message and it doesn't get lost in the fabric print. From what I have read on the web, it might be best to wash the fabric before making to get the sizing out so the ink penetrates better. Some people said it mattered, some said it didn't

You can do up to three. You can make them all different or do the same one for all. The blocks will be 12 inches when finished.

Here's the rules:

1. Anyone is welcome as long as you're a member in good standing.

2. Tell me how many you'd like to make

3. Any color you'd like as long as it has a message in the middle

4. Sign-ups by May 1st and partners posted

5. Mail date by May 15th

6. Seeds can be included

I hope you enjoy!

Comments (104)

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi All,
    Dan your block was very nice. I have several blocks where you used the same material. Thanks for that. Nice job.
    My blocks are ready for the mail and I will hold on to Junesbug until we hear more from her.
    Melinda has recieved her quilt, even though I have not heard from her quiltfox has. I want to THANK everybody for their help on the blocks. My husband took pictures of it for me. When we got ready to post them we found out that they were 9 megs. I don't know if any body can recieve that size. If you can let me know and I'll send to you and you can post pictures.
    Thanks everyone
    Have a great day
    Sharon
    gmom

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hazlenut,
    I got my block, Thank You. I love the brightness of the block.
    Any report on melinda?
    Have a great evening.
    Sharon
    gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Sharon, I just spoke to Melinda yesterday. I am going to visit her next Saturday. She is doing well, looking forward to getting back in her gardens. :) We can all understand that! I'll try to take pictures while I'm there to share with everyone.
    I'm glad you liked the block...it's appropriately titled the "waterwheel". Since it was flooding here while I was working on the blocks, it seemed just right! :D

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to see some people are already receiving their blocks. I have two made, one to go tomorrow and then into the mail. Just to catch up:

Bev/Bev2009 sends to Linda, Melissa and Dan

Linda/lindaruzicka sends to Melissa, Dan and Sharon

Melissa/hazelnutbunny sends to Dan (sent), Sharon(received) and Junesbug

Dan/dan_the_mailman sends to Sharon (received), Junesbug
    and Bev (received)

Sharon/gmom2-6boys sends to Junesbug, Bev and Linda

junesbug sends to Bev, Linda and Melissa

We'd all love to see pictures if you can post!

• Melinda Hagen
    12 years ago

Hello everyone! Again I want to say thank you to all who participated and made my quilt for me! It is a blessing to have such wonderful people thinking of me and praying for me. I am doing very well they say. Wont know about chemo until the 19th. Praying not, but probably so. But I can handle whatever comes my way.
    Missing gardening the most. But amazing how it's turning my dgt. into a gardener!
    Looking forward to a visit with melissa on Saturday! About the only thing I have done garden wise is walk around and take pics-tons of weeds, but some flowers! LOl!
    Hoping to get them up soon.
    Will be joining back in soon. Just too sore to do much right now!
    Enjoy the beautiful days, thank God for your blessings, and talk to you all soon! Melinda

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

my blocks are made and will be out in the mail today...They didn't turn out half bad..LOL!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Melissa, Dan and Sharon, the blocks are mailed and on their way!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

today I received a beautiful block from Melissa/hazelnutbunny! Here's a picture of it...

Mel, truer words were never said, and I have been thankful time and time again that you and I are "stitched together"!

Over the week-end I used my camera to catch Stella in a part of her life which she keeps hidden. She likes to get behind the office window curtain and does not like intruders. So, knowing my little girl can be a bit picky, I used the camera and got some shots of her without disturbing her world. After awile she knew something was up, but didn't quite know what. Eventually she decided to not worry about it, and went back to her nap. Here are the pictures I took...

Have a good Monday night everyone.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

She is just so pretty!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda! Everyone here (including Stella! lol!) thinks so too!

Hey, since I've got your attention, would spraying lemon juice on the walls make her quit using them as her scratch pads? She's already got one spot in the office where she's about halfway through the wall, and I'd kind of like to keep the rest of the house intact, know what I mean?

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I know cats don't like vinegar but you could try lemon juice. The pet supply store should sell something too..you could cut her nails..."trying to picture my cats letting me"...

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I admit it...even though I was our fearless leader this month, my envelopes are going in the mail at noon on my way to work. I figure I was probably born late as I am always five minutes late to everything. (We can blame everything on our childhood, can't we?)

Dan, I hope you can take the poignant message on the block I am sending you. Just thought I would give you a heads up to be prepared for tears at its touching message.

Bev/Bev2009 sends to Linda, Melissa and Dan (sending at noon)

Linda/lindaruzicka all sent to Melissa, Dan and Sharon

Melissa/hazelnutbunny sends to Dan (received), Sharon(received) and Junesbug

and Bev (received)

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melissa, that is a beautiful block you sent Dan!

Melinda, I'm so glad you are up and about and recovering. I just wish it was warmer so you could sit outside and soak up some rays. Keep us posted.

Dan you will appreciate this...my husband returned after a five day visit to relatives in Iowa and said he had made a new friend who wouldn't leave him alone and kept wanting attention and her name was Chunky. I wasn't too worried once I heard her name...but nothing to fear. It is one of his brother's cats!

Bev

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

...and I'm blaming it on the catnip! LOL!

Today I received my block from Linda. She was the first person I traded seeds with here on the garden web, and we've been good friends ever since. She made a "friendship star" block for me, and sent it along with a package of sunflower stickers and an awesome little note. Here's a picture of it...

Note that it's mostly green, and matches up greatly with the block I received from Melissa.

Linda, thank you. For the block, for the friendship, but most of all, for the laughs, advice, and tears we've shared along the way!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention that your block is the Waterwheel also, Dan! Just in case you want to try that one. :) It's really simple & fun to put together. I did Sharon's in oranges, and it really looks great in bright colors! I think I'm gonna do an entire quilt with that pattern...all in bright summer colors! Ya know...if I can ever find the time! LoL! I keep promising I'll make a quilt for a b-day gift for myself...and I haven't yet! Oh, well...one of these days...! :P

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I received my block from Bev today and it's a beauty! It has a border of bright colored butterflies (LOVE butterflies) in a black background. The alternate color is a warm buttery tan. It has a very suitable quote from Nathaniel Hawthorne in the center. What kind of block is that Bev? It's awesome! Thanks so much! ((HUG))

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I received my block from Bev today! She rememberd how much I like dragonflies and made this...

Isn't it great?
    Bev, thank you! I love the block, and I love the quote! LOL! In case the rest of you can't read it, here it is...
    "The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat." -Michael McGarel(?)
    Bev, I can totally relate to that quote! Every morning when I get up to go to work I walk through the house, wondering if I'm going to step into a cold, squishy hairball. It's majorly YUCK, but, (sigh) a fact of life.
    The yellow you used reminds me of sunflowers, especially since it's surrounded by all of those dragonflies dancing around! Too kewl! Thank You!

A waterwheel Mel? Hmmm, I'm gonna have to search for that pattern! Where did you get it?

TTFN
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Dan~ It's on quilters cache, under the 12" block section. I think there are a few different versions, but this one was the easiest. (I'm too chicken to attempt anything with lots of pieces! LoL!)

I received my block from Linda today! Yay! She did the friendship star, and used a pretty pink floral...I love it! :D Thank you Miss Linda!
    I will try to post pictures, but I'm having some issues with my phone right now. Ugh...!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Dan, you're right, we've been friends since the first seed packet!..LOL1 ((HUG))

Glad you liked your block Miss Bunny!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan and Linda,

I'm so glad you both like the blocks. I had a lot of fun picking them out and selecting the appropriate quote! I knew you'd get a kick out of our quote Dan. I just envisioned your cats when I saw it. LOL

I'll get you the names of the patterns later(There upstairs in my sewing room. But they are from Quilters Cache site also.) However, today is my birthday! And I have to get ready and packed for an over-nighter with sister. We are heading to Fernwood and Frederick Meijer Gardens in Michigan and the International Friendship garden in Michigan City today and tomorrow. Gardening, antiquing, if necessary, good food and lots of laughter! My daughter is coming into town this week and we'll all celebrate on Sunday night. It's suppose to be warmer and dryer weather, so I can't wait. I'll update our list of sents and received when I get back.

Has anyone heard anything else from junesbug?

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Well Happy Birthday Bev!! It sounds as if you have quite a celebration planned. I always enjoy outings with my sisters too! Sniff a flower for me...((HUG))

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago
  • hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received a beautiful block from Bev today! She wrote a quote about children on it, and one of the background fabrics is white with white footprints, the other is a floral print with daisies & red flowers. I love it!
    Thank you, Bev!
    If I have time this afternoon, I will wrangle with my camera & take some pics of the blocks I've gotten! :)

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Bev! You have a great time with your sister. Wish I had one to do things with. Anyone want to be my sister?
    Dan, I'm checking your list of seeds.
    Have a good evening, everybody.
    gmom

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your birthday wishes! We had a fabulous time. If you've never been to the Meijer gardens in Grand Rapids, MI, I suggest you go. I thought we would miss the tulips and flowering trees, and be in the in-between stage, but they are farther north than I and the gardens were lovely. I'll try and post some pictures later this afternoon.

Here is an updated list of where we stand with the swap. If I am missing any received, please let me know. Sharon, you posted that yours were ready for sending back on May 14, but no one has received them yet. Did you get them sent yet?

Bev/Bev2009 sends to Linda (received), Melissa (received) and Dan (received)

Linda/lindaruzicka all sent to Melissa (received), Dan(received) and Sharon

Melissa/hazelnutbunny sends to Dan (received), Sharon(received) and Junesbug

and Bev (received)

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Sharon, I'll be your sister, but I have to be older...LOL!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I'm gonna send one more e-mail to junesbug. she was supposed to send out her blocks last week. if no one receives there blocks from her by Saturday, she'll no longer be able to participate in our swaps. I'm sick of no-shows.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I just e-mailed junesbug and asked if she's sent out her quilt blocks.

If you were supposed to send a quilt block to her, wait until everyone has received their block from her.

Did anyone send her a block other than me?
    -Dan

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for handling this for me Dan, being new, I wasn't sure what to do. I'll make sure you get a block if junesbug doesn't get hers out!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Bev, that's why it's nice to have other people who've hosted in the same group. Sometimes it really does take a village, know what I mean? If I don't hear anything back from junesbug by tomorrow, we'll go ahead and bang the gavel and do some re-arranging of partners. I've started a thread for her in the rate & review forum, and didn't have anything positive to say. We'll see what happens in the next 24 hours.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Sharon, I sent yours with Melissa's and Dan's..did it get there????

Junebug owes me a block but I don't owe her one

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't received Sharon's block yet. Linda, did you receive one from Sharon?

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

No I haven't received one from Sharon yet and I'm waiting to see if mine got to her safely...

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Hey Kids!
    I haven't heard anything back from junesbug, so we'll have to assume she flaked out on us. It's rather sad that someone would go to those lengths over a damn quilt block, don't you think? Well, I believe Life has a way of balancing the books, so she'll end up getting what she deserves. Frankly, I hope her radiator hose busts wide open on the way to work some morning when she's running late. Now, doesn't that thought put a grin on your face?

Let's see, she was supposed to send to Linda, Bev, and Melissa, and Melissa, Sharon, and I were supposed to send to her. As far as I know, I'm the only one who sent a block to her. Mel and Sharon, did you or did you not send a block to junesbug?

-Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

No, I never heard from her, so I didn't send one. I'm happy to send Linda & Bev a block in her place! Just let me know!
    (that is conditional...because we've got a tornado headed right towards us, so I may blow away tonight. Think I can sew while flying through the air? LoL!)

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hazelnutbunny, thanks for the offer, but I'm OK not receiving one. You are in my prayers tonight.

Bev

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I emailed Sharon, since no one has received her blocks yet either.

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

that's very odd for Sharon, I hope she's okay. She's usually one of the first ones the send hers out. You okay, Sharon???

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is anyone Facebook friends with Sharon? I'm not on Facebook.

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I have her email addy, I'll drop her a line

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

I'm here!!! Everything is fine. The computer has been down for a few days. Why, I don't know. Hb had to call to get us back on line. There has been some bad storms around here.
    Linda and Bev your blocks are on the way. They went out on Wed. Should I mail my 3rd. one to Dan. It was made for junesbug but if she is not sending? Let me know.
    Bunny, how did your visit go with Malinda?
    Suprise!!!!!
    My 7th. grandson is to be born today about noon. In Colorado Springs!!
    Arn't BABYS great?
    Have a good day everyone. I need to hang out clothes
    Sharon
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Bev, you're the host, I'm gonna let you figure out where the blocks should go...lol! I'm going to just back and enjoy myself, and get ready to arrange partners for the June swap!
    -Dan

HAVE A SAFE, FUN MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, have you sent one to Dan yet? If not, Sharon can send her extra. Just let us know.

I'm glad you are OK Sharon, you had us a little worried. :)

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

If Sharon has one ready, then she can mail it to Dan, if that's okay by you.

I received my block from Sharon today and it's beautiful, as always. She did a elaborate friendship block in pinks, whites and greens, with an embroidered square in the middle that says "Seeds of today are flowers of tomorrow". Thank you Sharon!

We're glad you're okay Sharon, you had us worried! ((HUG))

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Dan,
    Your block will be in the mail on Monday.
    Everybody thanks for your conserns but I'm fine. Just been gardening when it doesn't rain, cutting & splitting wood, and quilting. I have 4 quilts to go to Colorado, 3 are all done and one for my new baby to be done. It's going to be very simple. A rag type with animals appliqued to the blocks and a beautiful puppy print for the back.
    Someone gave me a big box full of quilting magazines so I been looking through them to pass onto someone else. Quiltmaker is the name.
    The mosquitos are so bad here they can carry you away as soon as you step out the door. Black flys were yesterday. To do anything you need jackets and gloves and my bee hat. But I can't complain, with all the other disasters going on, we are lucky.
    Have a great day everyone!!!
    Sharon
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

the baby quilt sounds wonderful! When is the grandbaby due?

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Linda,
    The baby arrived on Friday.
    Chase Everett Snider He is my 7th grandson. I think that is the limit.
    Have a good day.
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Congratulations! 7 huh? WOW! I think 1 is all I can handle at the moment..LOL!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Sharon, congratulations!
    And a big THANK YOU too! The block you sent was beautiful, and the cat block pattern is just too cool!

Here's a picture of the block Sharon sent...

Isn't it great?

-Dan

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, congratulations on the new grandbaby! I'm so jealous - my count - a big fat zero.

I also received a beautiful block from Sharon. Love the cross stitch.

I believe the count is complete and we can call it a wrap for this swap. I still would like to post pictures of the ones I received, so if you see this at the top of the list I've probably come in from the garden (probably dragged in by DH) and posted pics.

On to June's swap....:)