Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Seeds & Stitches for May - Charm Exchange

sandlapper_rose
13 years ago

Most of this is being repeated from what I posted under this topic for April. Several of us who garden and also sew or quilt have been exchanging quilt blocks this year -- and sometimes seeds, too. It's a fun group. I know nearly everyone is busy with end of the school year things, their gardens, etc. so this was an idea I tossed out for the month of May - a Charm Exchange. I thought it would fun to get a little fabric in the mail.

The common definition of a "charm" seems to be a piece of all cotton fabric cut 5 x 5" My idea was to match partners and you would exchange your mailing information with each other by e-mail and then send 5 charms (at least one of which needs to be a fabric showing flowers, fruits, veggies, or foliage) to your swap partner. Of course, you will get 5 in return. Typically people use 5 different fabrics when trading charms.

There are patterns especially for charms and some quilters accumulate lots of different charm squares so they can make a scrappy quilt with no two blocks of the same fabric.

The second part to this swap is that I can match you with either one or two swap partners, so let me know which you prefer when you sign up.

It is okay to send either pre-washed or new fabric that has not been washed. You may want to let your swap partner know which it is in case she wants to wash her fabric. I have gotten to a point where I only worry about prewashing with reds and certain bright greens or blues. You can always dip the fabric in the sink or a white or clear bowl to see if the colors run before you use it. I am getting less paranoid about the colors, I think. LOL

So, sign up by May 10 and then I will assign partners. You should mail your fabric by May 20. That should allow us to complete this swap during the month of May.

I tried to follow along on those who posted that they were interested so far. If I have any of this wrong, let me know! The one or two refers to the number of swap partners you would like to be matched with.

Me - sandlapper_rose (1)

gmom - (2)

wynative (2)

beth_b_kodiak (1) --- Is that right, Beth?

Okay, I have been working in the garden a lot today and it's time to take a shower and get cleaned up! Have a good weekend and if you have any questions, just ask.

If you have not participated in this group so far, that is still okay. Join in. However, if you have no positive references or trade history on GardenWeb, your swap partner has my permission to wait to receive your charms before sending if he or she is more comfortable doing that.

Jeanne

Comments (80)

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I have wynative's address I will need faintheart's address

I will send a temperary new address to those that are to send to me.
    thanks
    michelle
    ps I will get these sent out tomarrow

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have the addresses that I need. Not sure when I will mail out, but I will post it when I do.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Michelle~ I need your address, please.
    I will have your & Jeanne's charms mailed out on Friday.

Melissa

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Yayyyyyyyyyy we have partners! Beth, are you on the road yet? I may need an update on your address and I have Sharon's.

Michelle, sending you an email next.

What cute kitties everyone has! All the names are so unique too.

Dee

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I have dan's address, and quiltpartner and I have exchanged emails...YAY! we have partners!

• redrosey_2008
    13 years ago

I have Sandlapper's address, but not sure about beth_b_kodiak. Beth can you send me your address? Thanks, Kitty

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

We have a temp address for the summer and it is a PO Box so I don't mind posting it here. We are in cold snowy SD for the "summer".
    Beth Berry P O box 428 Keystone SD 57751
    Today we were watching workers on top of Mt Rushmore and they were running equipment up and down on cables. I would not go up there on the Prettiest day the Good Lord ever made. I SURE wouldn't have done it in the snow. Anyway, it was interesting to watch.
    I should be able to mail on Friday. I believe I have Linda's address but will need one for Redrosey.

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I fibbed...my charms went out yesterday instead of Friday. :o)
    I hope they arrive OK!

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

hey, partners! cool! I'll need addresses from faintheart and gmom.
    today has been such a good day! the temps were in the 60s again, and the sun is still shining. I received some trees in the mail from the national arbor day foundation which I don't remember ordering, making a nice surprise for me! AND, I found out today that I'll be hosting the local radio station for an hour on Saturday with songs of my choice. I've already done the promos, so now all I have to do is sit back and enjoy!
    this has been a good day!

peace.
    -dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    mine are on the way, should be there in a few days.
    well we have 2 new houses we are now looking at since the last one fell through, keep your fingers crossed for me we need it.
    michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I mailed my charms today. Let me know that they arrive okay.
    Michelle, I hope you find just the right house. I know you have been looking for some time and wouldn't that be great to find the perfect match? I hope it happens!
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I've got the addresses I need now, and will be cutting fabric tonight after my weight watchers meeting. Last week I got my first 10-pound ribbon! I like ww because I've learned a lot about nutrition and good health whenever I've attended the meetings. Four years ago I lost 50 pounds in 6 months, so I know it works. Unfortunately, I've let things slide since then, so now I'm back! And losing! Yee-haw!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your weight loss, Dan. I think there are several of us working on the same thing. (Grin)
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeanne! I hit the 14-pound mark last night, ain't it cool? LOL

I've got my charms in their envelopes and they will be in the mail as soon as I get to work.

Have a happy day everyone!

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I'll be cutting mine today and mailing them out tomorrow. I've been pondering my stash and seeing what I can come up with.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"...

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Congrats, Dan! 14lbs is great, keep it up! :o)
    I just started mine last week, and I'm down 5lbs since then (yay!). I've lost 25 since I had the baby, and that's ALOT for me....I usually keep all the weight until about a year afterwards (my metabolism is horrible!). I've still got 30lbs to go, since I didn't lose any after I had Lili a year ago.
    But I'll get there!
    And you will too! Woo-Hoo! :D

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Dan, that is truely an inspiration. I need to lose some pounds myself!

• wynative
    13 years ago

I will be sending mine out early next week :) still deciding what fabric to use - wanted to wait for names.

I have Bunnys address but I need - QUILT PARTNER - I will email you.

Love all the kitty pic's and Lily is very sweet.

Beth - I will be in Deadwood over Fathers Day weekend - 4 wheeler/gambling weekend for me and a bunch of friends :) I love going up there - so much fun LOL
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Marie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations to you, too, Melissa, for getting some of the "baby weight" off. So hard to do for any of us.
    I can't believe I bought fabric today with plans to make another quilt. I have so many unfinished ones... but that fabric just calls to us; doesn't it? I started out looking at browns and reds and came home with sort of a turquoise/teal and brown. I definitely will not start this one for awhile. I plan to spend most of the upcoming week preparing for a garage sale. I sure hope I get a good bit sold. We have way too much stuff!
    Everyone have a good weekend; okay?
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

AMEN to that Jeanne! I'm kicking off the weekend tonight with steaks (already marinating) on the grill, a good salad on the side, and a 6-pack of light beer! Tomorrow we're going to a buffalo bbq fundraiser at the local community college, and Monday I'm off from work for a "Me" day! Let the summer begin!
    Peace.
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I received charms today from Cindy/Quiltpartner.
    She sent a great selection of bright summer colors! One has a bird of paradise print, and the others are solids/prints to match. So pretty!
    Thank you!!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I also received my charms from Cindy on Sat. A very bright lovely assortment. Mine will be going on tomorrow. I fianlly narrowed it down..LOL!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Marie, I have not been to Deadwood in over 15 years. Look foreward to getting back again but first have a long list of places to see for the first time.
    Sounds like you are in for a weekend of fun. Enjoy.
    My Charms are in the mail. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
    Dan and Bunny, keep up the good work, I'm just holding steady and thankful for that as we check out the eateries here in our new town.

• wynative
    13 years ago

QUILT PARTNER - please send me your address. I sent a message through GW but as they sometimes dont get there and I haven't heard from you, I'm posting here also.

My charms are ready to be sent out. If I get a break at work tomorrow they will go out then, if not they will be sent on Tuesday.

Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon all,
    Marie

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I received your envie of charms today, and I love'em! Blue is my favorite color, and all the patterns are very cool! I think my favorite one of the bunch is the one with the blue and purple leaves, where did you get that?

Now here's a question for everyone... Who's hosting the next swap? If you all wish, I'll host the next one. And, if I do, I'd like to make it another charm swap. Any feedback on it all?

Peace.
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Charms would be great, Dan! Although...I found it hard to stop at just 5....could we "up" the number next time around, maybe? :o) Could we do 10?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad the charms reached you okay, Dan. The fabric with the purple and blue leaves is one of my favorite, too. I bought it when I made a wallhanging for one of my daughters many years ago and just have a small piece leftover. I guess I need to save one 5 x 5" section to use in a charm quilt. LOL
    It suits me if Dan hosts another charm swap for June. 10 charms is okay with me, too, if we have the option to send 10 charms to just one partner... or more than one partner for those who want to cut up lots of fabric! I got a new rotary cutter for my birthday and it is much better for my arthritic right hand, but I still try not to cut too much fabric at once. I think the charms are a good idea when so many of us are busy with gardening.
    I will be having a garage sale on Saturday and wow, talk about lots of work to get ready for something! Wish some of you were close by and you could bring things to sell or come by to shop. I have lots of plants for sale - my winter sowing harvest was about 6 times the amount of plants that I needed. (Grin)
    Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

yepper, another charm swap is great...and Dan hosting is okay by me. I had trouble with just 5 too and I sent more than I should've.LOL..it was just so hard to make choices!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I got mail today. The first in the new mailbox
    The charms from Kitty arrived and she sent all fruits and veggies. Very pretty fruits/berries and some colorful, healthy looking veggies.
    Neat selections Kitty. Where did you find the carrots and mixed veggies?
    Many thanks
    Beth

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I too had trouble setting it to just 5, I think I put in more like 10 or 12. don't know that I accualy counted, just devided the stack into 2.
    I have hosted a fat quarter swap on the quilting site before, with Jeanne's help, where all fabric was sent to the host and then devided up and new ones returned. but I don't have the time now and all my fabric is packed up :( so another swap will have to wait till the fall.

I do like the charms, I'm hopping to do some appliguet next winter and sometimes you just need tiny pieces of lots of diffrent things.

ok we are making an offer on another house, it is much smaller but is out in the country on an acre, I would still get to have a sewing/craft room and lots of gardening space, but my sewing room would be much smaller that the other house we were looking at, but we can have the chickens and maybe ponies for the boys. my mother in law said she wants to buy me a collie, I lost my collie little over a year ago, so I'm very excited to see if we get this one.

see ya'll later
    michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good luck with the bid on the house, Michelle!

I received my charms from Kitty in today's mail. They are wonderful: grapes, peppers, assorted fruit, blackberries, and assorted vegetables. I know I will enjoy using them. Thanks, Kitty!

Well, lots to do around here including getting a cake baked for my husband's birthday tomorrow so I'd better get busy.

Jeanne

• faintheart
    13 years ago

I was "charmed" today by Michelle and Dan! Thank you both so much...each are wonderful and I love the card/notes!!! :)

Beth and Sharon should have something in their mailboxes from me soon as their packages were mailed today. ;)

Thank you, Jeanne for hostessing another wonderful swap! What fun! Another charm swap would be great with me too.

Michelle, good luck on the house offer. An acre in the country sounds perfect for your family. The country is a great place to be!

Dee

• redrosey_2008
    13 years ago

Hit the jackpot in the mail today, got my charms from Jeanne and Beth. Jeanne sent an assortment of blues and purples, love them. Beth sent a variety of fabrics and all in bright colors...one desert scene and one with lots of flowers..... love brights!! Thank you ladies, I'm sure I'll find something to use these in. Beth, I have been collecting fruit and veggie fabrics for quite a while so have no idea where I got the ones that you liked....at some quilt shop I do know that! Glad you both liked your charms. Kitty

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Dee, I'm glad you liked your charms. Stella helped me out while I was cutting them, which was interesting. I like it that the cats like to help with the gardening and quilting. Nothing like some quality time with the family, is there?

I'm going to go ahead and post a charm swap for June when I finish this posting. I like the ideas you all have suggested, so I'm going to incorporate them into it. Sending the charms isn't expensive, and it's not too time consuming, which is good since we're all getting busy in our gardens.

Michelle, good luck with the house!

And Jeanne, have fun tomorrow!

And now, on to post another swap for us all...

Peace.
    -Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying to update the list as to who has received so far. If it needs correcting, let me know. I'll wait until some time next week and update it, but keep posting when you get "charmed." (Dee, I love how you labeled that, I will say "I got charmed" from now on, too!)

sandlapper will send to dan_the_mailman and redrosey.
    Both have received.

gmom will send to wynative and micyrey

wynative will send to hazelnutbunny and quiltpartner

beth_b_kodiak will send to lindaruzicka and redrosey
    Kitty received from Beth.

lindaruzicka will send to dan_the_mailman and quiltpartner

micyrey will send to wynative and faintheart
    Dee received from Michelle.

dan_the_mailman will send to faintheart and gmom
    Dee received from Dan.

hazelnutbunny will send to sandlapper and micyrey

redrosey_2008 will send to sandlapper and beth_b-kodiak
    Both have received

quiltpartner will send to lindaruzicka and hazelnutbunny
    Melissa received from Cindy.

faintheart will send to beth_b_kodiak and gmom

Have a good day, everyone!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne has received from Melissa

My apologies to Melissa. I just noticed that I had been "charmed" by her and I know that piece of mail did not arrive today. It must have arrived one day when my husband brought in the mail and didn't notice that there was something for me. Anyway, a very pretty selection, Melissa, so thank you. I was especially happy to see that I received a charm of the grass fabric that you had. That is so pretty!
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I think Michelle might have received her charms as well. I saw that she had posted on the quilt forum that she received a package from me this week, but I know she received her b-day block at the first of the month. Since she isn't opening her packages until her b-day, she may not realize that it's her charms instead. Or it could be me that's mistaken. Goodness knows I'm not clear minded these days. :)

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Today I was not only "charmed" but "blocked" by Linda! She even fabricked me! LOL! (don't you just love how we make up words as we go along?) Linda sent me 6 charms, and most of them have a "retro" look about them, which is very cool indeed! She also sent along a cat-appliqued block, which will fit nicely into the quilt I'm making from all the blocks I've received these past few months.
    Linda has been telling me about this piece of fabric that "just says Dan every time I see it", and sent it along also. It's the size of a fat quarter, and is absolutely covered with bright, colorful seashells in very vibrant hues of yellow, orange, green blue, and on and on! I'm getting ready to make another ocean-themed quilt, and this will fit in just perfect!
    I feel like I hit the fabric jackpot today, thank you Linda!!!

Yay for meeeee!!!

Peace.
    -Dan

• wynative
    13 years ago

Michelle - I recieved my charms thanks! Good luck on your house :) My son & his GF are house hunting - what a chore!

Melissa & Cindy - your charms went out today. Should have been yesterday but we are having LOTS of rain & I stayed home all day and quilted :) It is still raining but atleast I don't think it will get warm enough for all the lightning/thunder like yesterday. It shook the windows in my house a couple times they were so close. We even had a small amount of hail (but my garden and flowers are okay) & a tornado about 80 miles south!

Dan - I would love to be in another charm swap! I already have something planned for all of them :)

Marie

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I've been CHARMED!!!!!!

Thanks to Dee and Dan. Great color choices.

Marie and Michelle: Your blocks will be dropped off at the post office tomorrow.

Happy Quilting
    gmom

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    miss bunny is right I do have her charmes, I put it in my birthday bag. I think I will go ahead and open them with my birthday gifts.
    I'm in 2 birthday quilt block swaps(about 20 players) a birthday swap with a craft group(about 20 players)and my charms so I will have a great birthday just sitting and opening all my envies.
    thanks
    and sorry for the mix-up
    michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Freecycle is an amazing thing!!! Yesterday I responded to an e-mail on freecycle from a lady who's getting rid of her gardens after 30 years so she can change things up and start all over again. After leaving her house yesterday (and I may go over again Sunday or Monday if there's anything left), I now have crocosmia lucifer, bleeding hearts, hellebores, porcelain berry vines, rose campion, brunnera, phlox (mixed colors), dark purple comumbine, and something called obediance plants.
    Not that I'm bragging or anything.
    Well, maybe just a little.
    All in all, I'm thinking I probably saved over $200 last night.
    How great was that???

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received Beth's charms and they are really neat. I especially like the one with dancing horses on it!

I'm happy you liked that fabric Dan. It just had to go to you..LOL!

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Personally, I think everyone here is charming!!! *very big grin*

Dee (charm school dropout) hehehe

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Dee You ARE charming. I was charmed with all the greens you sent.( my very favorite color) I opened the envie right there in the PO and stood there ooohing and aaahing. Jack just smiles and says "sometimes your kinda silly"
    Imagine that, a silly female.
    Thanks Dee and Jeanne and Kitty too.

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Quit'chur braggin, Dan! Or else we just might all hogtie ya with some of yer own dern fabric! LOL!!
    Seriously...doncha just LOVE freecycle? Great haul you made! :o)

Now, my turn to brag...
    I was charmed by Marie today! She double charmed me, in fact! There were more than the required 5, and all are lovely & bright. Love them all! :o)
    Thanks, Marie!!

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I got my second set of charms today, this one from gmom.
    she sent a great assortmant of butterfly charmes, I love them.
    thanks
    michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Time to update the list once again. I may have missed something that was posted so if I did, just let me know and I will correct the list.

sandlapper will send to dan_the_mailman and redrosey.
    Both have received.

Michelle received from gmom.

wynative will send to hazelnutbunny and quiltpartner
    Melissa received from Marie.

beth_b_kodiak will send to lindaruzicka and redrosey
    Both received from Beth.

lindaruzicka will send to dan_the_mailman and quiltpartner
    Dan received from Linda.

micyrey will send to wynative and faintheart
    Both received from Michelle.

dan_the_mailman will send to faintheart and gmom
    Both received from Dan.

Both received from Melissa.

redrosey_2008 will send to sandlapper and beth_b_kodiak
    Both have received

quiltpartner will send to lindaruzicka and hazelnutbunny
    Melissa received from Cindy.

faintheart will send to beth_b_kodiak and gmom
    Beth received from Dee.

We finally got just a little rain today - so thankful I don't have to drag the hoses around the evening.

Hope to hear that everyone has received soon. Keep me posted.
    Jeanne

• wynative
    13 years ago

I recieved my charms from GMom - thanks so much Sharon!

Melissa - so glad you like the colors :) I almost forgot to send one with flowers on it LOL
    Marie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle and Marie received from gmom.

I hope everyone received the charms for May. No one has posted for awhile so I am wondering if the holiday weekend just had everyone busy or maybe you are traveling. The most recent update to someone having received is above (with Marie having received from gmom.)
    If anyone has not received, please e-mail me and I will try to check on it for you. Otherwise, we will consider this swap complete.

Thanks for joining in!
    Jeanne