Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

update: obf april 2014 swap: buried treasure (2)

brittneysgran
9 years ago

Mellen-Whew so glad your box arrived...sure took a long time. Hope the plants do great for you and you have lots of blooms.

We had tons of fun in Atlanta....yard sales are awesome.

Night ladies and what a fantastic swap this was Ms. Sheri.

Shirley

Comments (25)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

I'm glad you liked it, Shirley. Thank you. You should be getting your raffle prize soon. Thanks for posting here. I'm excited for May's swap, too!

Sheri

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Had a fantastic day with DD Kate. Shopped the MG plant sale in Springfield then went to the Gourd show. What beautiful, clever and creative art work. MAny different techniques and impossible to choose just one favorite
    I'll try to post a couple different ones.

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Love the natural looking colors and technique of the one too.
    Like I said.... You can't pick just one

• smitties
    9 years ago

Those gourds are awesome. That must have been a great show. I would love to see something like that in person.

Thanks again Sheri for the fun times. I am looking forward to the May swap as well.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Margo

• veeja11
    9 years ago

awesome gourds, may have to grow some this year, waiting for may swap ready to come out of hibernation missed you all hugs to all me bloomin friends

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Carol-I was thinking you had forgotten us, so happy to have you back. I think everyone is looking forward to all the fun swaps yet to come this year.

Sheri-I received my wonderful prize package yesterday, thank you so much for the irises and glads. I have the irises planted and hope to find the perfect spot tomorrow for the glads.

Beth-Those gourds are beautiful...what talented artists those people are. WOW

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

Beth, the gourds are amazing! I've never seen anything like them.

sharon

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

I had to go back and read all the posts I missed so ...

Congratulations to Nikki and to Shirley on the winning the Treasure contest!

Laura (I hope it was you). Please post the pics of the paintings you got from your Mom.

The Treasure boxes have all been wonderful!

THANK YOU SHERI FOR A FUN AND IMAGINATIVE SWAP!

sharon

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Yes thank you for a fun swap.
    Love the gourds, especially the last picture.
    I went to our local spring plant swap yesterday.
    Temps got over 90 here.
    A few of our regular swappers weren't there, but we had a lot of new people which is always good.
    I brought home handmade goodies in addition to plants.
    Fun day.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I have never been to a Gourd Show. Curious Beth, what does one pay for one of those magnificent gourds????? Or are they just to look at???

Beth, are you having problems receiving my emails? I received a funky post office email over the weekend...some kind of failure??? It had your name on it. If you are sending me emails, I am not receiving!

Happy Monday....will post the May Swap today.

Hello Carol!!!

Must run!

Annie

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Just a quick note to say HI! My package fir Susan is being mailed tomorrow and the tracking number is # 9405 5036 9930 0285 8361 33

Now I'm going to bed... details on art tomorrow too, I promise!
    ~ Laura

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Hi all, Yes, the gourds were fantastic to see in person. I had read several books but nothing like seeing it in person. The admission was only $5.00 and there were a lot of workshops but those were expensive. Anyway, it was an inspiration and I am definately planting gourds.
    Annie, prices were not shown on most of the displays but the ones we saw had a wide range. There was another one with the Oak leaf theme that was used as a prize and listed at a value of $175.00. It would be worth that to me , as I was awed by the craftsmanship and final appearance of those.Others that I really enjoyed were under $50.00 and seemed perhaps undervalued.
    One more picture here,of a whimsical interpretation of a favorite nursery rhyme.

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

One more, another that made me take a slow breath........ so simple but so beautiful

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I have just put my hand inside my box of buried treasure from MaryEllen (mellen). I did receive yesterday but just now got around to opening.....

I received......

*several packages of seeds
    Zinnia Giant Violet Queen
    Zinnia Giant Scarlet Flame
    Zinnia Envy
    Zinnia Candy Cane Mix (2)
    Zinnia Giant Enchantress
    Lobelia Trailing Cascade of Color

*a package of seed bags

*3 Star Gazer Lily bulbs...love these!

Thank you so much!!! The lily bulbs and seeds will happily be planted today.

Do any of you do creative things with Gourds? Absoloutley amazing to me what people do with them.

Sheri, thank you again for a super April month of treasures and fun.

Happy Tuesday! Enjoy!

Annie

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Hiya! So as promised here is the latest art pilfering from mom's collection.

This is a monotype tryptich, each framed about 6 or 8 inches

This one is about 4 feet tall. Its handmade paper with designs pressed into the sheets.

This one is a limited print framed out at about 13x19 inches titled "Biosphere". Its more purple and tan than the picture, and my favorite of the three!

What do yall think? Abstract isn't everyone's cup of tea, but its the only tea for me!

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura-I really like the last one as well. Now I know what abstract art looks like. Thanks for sharing.

Annie-Nice box from Mellen, I really like zinnias.

Beth-I would love to go to a gourd show now. I will have to check some out and see if they are anywhere close around here.

Shirley

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wow, this has been a great swap! And the gourds are to die for, wish I had that talent! And the prints are fabulous! She does good work. I love the last one also! Everyone got great boxes and has been loads of fun! Thanks to all who helped make it great! Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Laura, beautiful artwork there. I especially like the textured blocks of colored papers. Hand made papers can be a very creative medium.

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Needed the buried treasure today. lil angel packed me a long day gift. A big hosta ready to plant tomorrow. And lots of seeds for starting... Thank you for the pick me up susan

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting the photo, Susan! Thank you to Laura for brightening Susan's day. :)

I'm so happy to see that you've signed-up for May's OBF swap, too, Susan. This really is a great group of swappers.

Thanks everyone for a fun April swap.

Sheri

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Susan, I'm so glad your treasure box came on a day it could really brighten you up! And thank you too for the very sweet email. It really brightened up my very long day at work. :)

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

Susan and Anne, nice boxes.

Laura, I enjoyed the paintings, I liked the paper one the best, would really add a sense of fun to a room.

Anne, you asked if any of us do anything with gourds.
    Well, I think I have posted these pics before, so it is good they are at the end of this swaps post.
    But I did the black cat and my hubby, daughter and son the 'head' for Halloween. LOL

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Very cool Sharon! I think you did great with those! I've always wanted to do gourd things, don't know why I haven't. Might have to after all the cool ones everyone has shown!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Hate snakes, love the painted gourds.

Me too Melinda. But I don't even grow gourds so I would have to buy some. I've always thought maybe I'd like to try doing the wood burnt gourds.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I have tried growing gourds with no success. I think I have to try harder. Amazing what can be done with a gourd!!

Annie